About the Clarion M606
Made for music-loving mariners
Made for music-loving mariners
With its aggressive styling, cutting-edge tech, and marine-rated toughness, Clarion's M606 digital media receiver is a great way to add performance, style, and functionality to your boat. This powerful, versatile receiver gives you outstanding sound quality, plus the security of IP55-certified water resistance.
The diagonally cut control buttons look cool, of course, but they're also easier to find and use than conventional buttons. The blue backlighting adds visual punch and improves nighttime usability, and the big, black-on-white LCD display gives you the information you need with just a glance.
Built-in Bluetooth® and more
This feature-filled receiver lets you stream music from your smartphone or any other Bluetooth device to your boat's sound system. Bluetooth aptX processing lets you enjoy CD-quality sound from your compatible Android smartphone without having to store a box of CDs on your boat.
Designed to bring great music to your boat
USB port and AUX input
If you've ripped your entire CD collection and gone digital, you can plug into the rear USB port and enjoy all your favorite MP3 or WMA tunes, or you can play your digital music player through the AUX input. You can also enjoy the vast array of programming on satellite radio by connecting a SiriusXM tuner.
If you're a SiriusXM satellite radio subscriber (or plan to be), the M606 works with the SXV300 tuner (sold separately). You'll enjoy a vast selection of music, news, entertainment and sports programming, as far as 100 miles offshore. You can even tag your favorite songs and purchase them on iTunes later.
iPod® and iPhone® controls
The M606 gives you mastery over your music collection, including genre/album/song title search using your iPod control wheel. If you're a Pandora® Internet radio fan, you can listen to your favorite stations when your iPhone's connected via USB. Song and artist information shows up clearly on the sharp-looking 2-line display.
Four distinct audio zones
The M606 gives you four-zone control, so you can split the boat into four distinct areas to suit your needs, and each one can be controlled by a compatable Clarion wired remote (sold separately).
Tune it your way
Clarion built this rugged marine receiver to last, but it's also designed to deliver outstanding sound. The 3-band parametric equalizer lets you adjust the highs, mids, and lows to suit your preferences, and you can use the built-in frequency filters and subwoofer controls to get the best possible performance from your system.
Enjoy terrestrial radio, anywhere on the globe
Clarion's excellent AM/FM tuner hauls in plenty of local radio stations, no matter where in the world "local" might happen to be. You'll also be able to get the latest on changing conditions from the NOAA Weather Band, including automatic reception of emergency information.
Stands up to moisture, salt, and spray
The M606's front panel is IP55 tested and certified to give you best-in-class water intrusion and salt water protection. On the inside, rubber gaskets and integrated drainage channels keep water out, but the rear of the receiver is IPX3 tested and certified just in case water somehow manages to seep into the console.
Make it your next Clarion marine receiver
If you're a long-time Clarion marine audio fan looking to upgrade, the M606 will fit directly into the space currently occupied by your Clarion CMV1, CMD6, CMD7, or CMD8 marine receiver. The M606 uses the same cut-out, screw holes, and wiring harness, plus it works with the same Clarion marine remotes.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.--->
This marine digital media receiver will not play CDs.
- marine digital media receiver with built-in amplifier (20 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- no internal CD player plays digital music files from your iPod and other external sources
- works with Apple® or Android smartphones
- built-in Bluetooth® for music streaming
- Bluetooth aptX for superior sound quality from Android phones
- enjoy Pandora internet radio using your iPhone®
- 2-line black-on-white LCD display
- 3-band parametric equalizer with 11 preset sound curves
- fully-adjustable fader and control subwoofer controls
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- built-in iPod control
- 3-band EQ lets you shape your sound
- low-pass subwoofer filter
- rear USB and AUX inputs
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, sub)
- IP55 tested and certified for water resistance
- conformal-coated circuit board
Other Features and Specs:
- works with a variety of optional Clarion wired remotes
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # M606
What's in the box:
- Marine digital media receiver (rubber gasket installed)
- Wiring harness
- SiriusXM/SWC input
- Zone output harness
- Aux input harness
- Wired remote harness
- 6 Screws
- Rear-support stud
- 2 Washers
- Owner's Manual
- Quick Start Guide
- Warranty Information
Clarion M606 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Clarion M606
Features & specs
|AUX Input||Rear (2)|
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||18 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||Not given|
|Key Button Color||White|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||8 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA|
Marine Tested: Clarion's M606 marine source unit is IP55 tested and certified to provide you the best in water intrusion and salt water protection in its class, at the front panel where it's most exposed to the elements. Internally, rubber gaskets stop water in its tracks and integrated drainage channels keep water out, with an IPX3 tested and certified rear end for protection even if water manages to seep into the console.
Large High Visibility LCD: The large, white color LCD offers a crystal clear, easy-to-read display that shows you all the information you need up front and at-a-glance. The 13-digit, 2-line LCD on the M606 allows characters to be displayed clearly in all lighting conditions. Whether you want to know what song is playing or just reference the time, clear concise lettering makes reading the screen quick and easy.
Mounting: The M606 requires a rectangular cutout in the bulkhead for inserting the chassis. Six screws (supplied) fasten the faceplate against the mounting surface, and hold the waterproof gasket against the bulkhead. A clear, self-adhesive template is supplied to assist you with the cutout and drilling the screw holes. You can install the unit within 30-degrees of horizontal.
- If you're a long-time Clarion marine audio fan looking to upgrade, the M606 will fit directly into the space currently occupied by your Clarion CMV1, CMD6, CMD7, or CMD8 marine receiver. The M606 uses the same cut-out, screw holes, and wiring harness, plus it works with the same Clarion marine remotes.
- The receiver does not include a mounting sleeve or ISO-mount screw holes to accommodate standard I-, J-, or E-sized automotive installation.
Dimensions: The receiver has the following dimensions:
- Chassis Width: 7.125"
- Chassis Height: 2.025"
- Chassis Depth: 7.125"
- Nose Width: 7.735"
- Nose Height: 3.505"
- Nose Depth: 1.8125"
Screw Hole Pattern: The faceplate has four mounting holes across the top, above the chassis, and two holes below the chassis for securing the unit to the bulkhead. The screw hole spacing is as follows:
- Top Row:
- Total Width: 7.0625"
- Width Between Two Center Holes: 2.375"
- Width Between End Holes and Adjacent Center Holes: 2.375"
- Bottom Row Width: 7.25"
- Height (Between Top and Bottom Rows): 2.9375"
- Screw Mounting Depth: 0.875"
Optional NMEA 2000 Interface Module: Clarion's MW6 NMEA 2000 Compliant interface module (020MW6, sold separately) allows Clarion marine source unit to be seamlessly added to your boat's onboard NMEA 2000 network, enabling control of the Clarion source unit directly from the boat's Multi-Function Display (MFD) device.
Wireless Audio Streaming (w/ aptX): The Clarion M606 supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth-enabled smartphone or audio player, plus song/artist information display and support for aptX music streaming.
- Stored Music & Music Apps: You are able to stream your stored music library on your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone, as well as music apps downloaded on your smartphone to the Clarion M606 for playback.
- SBC + aptX Codecs: In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the M606 incorporate the CSR' lossless Bluetooth aptX codec (for Android OS 4.0+) which helps retain sound elements lost during digital compression of audio files, ensuring users the ability to always enjoy high quality sound with wireless convenience.
- Basic Playback Control: You can use the front-panel controls of the M606 to operate basic playback functions of your Bluetooth device's stored music & music apps; such as Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track (not compatible with all apps). Advanced music control of your stored music and music apps will still need be done via your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone.
- Song/Artist Information: The head unit will also display your stored music and music app's song information; such as artist name and song/album title (not compatible with all apps).
Note: When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
Secure Simple Pairing (SSP): With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the Clarion M606 without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. When a paired Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically pairs the two units. You can pair up to three Bluetooth-enabled devices to the Clarion head unit, but only one can be used at a time.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Clarion M606. Visit Clarion's Support Site for a complete list of compatible Bluetooth enabled phones.
Optional Remote Control: The Clarion M606 is equipped with a rear mounted 8-pin DIN connector to accommodate optional Clarion wired & wireless remote controls, plus a 3.5mm SWC input for steering wheel remote control interface modules (all sold separately).
- Wired Remotes: The M606 is compatible with the
following wired remotes from Clarion and a variety of steering wheel control
- Marine Remotes: You can choose from Clarion's MW1 (020MW1, sold separately) or MW4 (020MW4, sold separately) wired remote controls with an LCD screen.
- Steering Wheel Control: The head unit has the ability to retain your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately).
- Wireless Remotes: The M606 is compatible with the
following RF, WiFi, and IR remotes from Clarion.
- RF Remote: The Clarion MF1 (020MF1, sold separately) is a RF remote control which is waterproof and designed to float. The MF1 meets or exceeds ASTM B117 (Salt/Fog Exposure), ASTM D4329 (UV Exposure), and IP67 (International Protection Rating).
- WiFi Remote Module: The Clarion MF2 marine remote module (020MF2, sold separately) features built-in WiFi and allows you to control the M606 marine receiver via the free Clarion MF2 app on your Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad (iOS 6.0+).
- IR Remote: The Clarion RCX001 IR remote control (020RCX001, sold separately) provides basic wireless operation of the M606 marine receiver.
Note: When two wired, RF or WiFi remotes are used in combination with one another, Clarion's Y-adapter (020MWRYC, sold separately) is required.
Rear-Mounted USB Port: The Clarion M606 features a rear-panel USB (type-A) port that is hidden behind a flip-up cover. The USB port enables connection and control of a portable USB mass-storage class (MSC) device; such as USB thumbdrive. The unit supports playback of MP3 & WMA music files stored on a compatible USB memory device. USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the digital media receiver's USB port (max. 1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Note: This head unit's USB port does not support Android smartphones & tablets.
Compatible Music Files: The Clarion M606 supports the following types of MP3 & WMA files recorded onto a USB thumbdrive or other USB mass storage class device.
|Media Type||USB (Mass Storage Class)|
|File System||FAT 16/32|
|Playable File Types||MP3:
bit rate of 8-320 kbps w/ sampling
rate of 8-48kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 8-320 kbps w/ sampling rate of 8-48kHz
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||65,535 files|
|Tags||ID3 tag (V2.0 or later), WMA tag|
Playback & Search Functions: The M606 provides a variety of playback & search functions that help find your music easier and allow you to enjoy your music even more.
- Top Function: The Top Function resets the USB device to the first track.
- Folder/File Select: This function allows you to select a folder containing MP3/WMA files and start playing from the first track in the folder.
- Scan Play: This function allows you to locate and play the first 10 seconds of all the tracks or the first 10 seconds of the first track of all the folders.
- Repeat Play: This function allows you to play a file currently being played in a MP3/WMA folder repeatedly.
- Random Play: This function allows you to play all tracks recorded on in a folder in a random order.
- Last Position Memory: If you turn off the unit while a USB device is playing, it will resume playback at the stopping point when it is turned on again.
Dual Aux Inputs: This unit features two rear mounted, stereo RCA auxiliary inputs so you can connect up to two external audio sources. The sensitivity of the inputs can be set (low, mid, or high) to match the output of the auxiliary source to the other sources.
iPod/iPhone Direct Connection: The Clarion M606's rear-panel USB port can be used to connect your Lightning-connector or 30-pin dock connector iPod/iPhone to the head unit. Simply use the cable that came with your iPod/iPhone device or a 3rd party Apple certified cable (sold separately). The M606 supports audio playback, music navigation, information display, and charging of your compatible Apple device.
- Audio Playback w/ DAC Bypass: The USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's stored music and music apps to be loaded instantly to the head unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 1-bit D/A converter, allowing for a Signal to Noise ratio up to 94dB. The Clarion head unit supports audio playback of stored music, music apps, and podcasts on your iPod or iPhone.
- Music Control: The Clarion head unit allows you to navigate your iPod's music by Playlist, Artists, Album, Genre, Composer, Song, or Podcast. You can search these categories alphabetically (A through Z). The head unit also supports Repeat (file/all) playback functions of your connected iPod/iPhone. Newer iPod/iPhones with iOS 6.0+ allow you to continue to access your Apple device's touchscreen in order to access other applications; older iPod/iPhone devices will be locked during connection.
- Song/Artist Info: The head unit will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music file information; including Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song title, and Artist/Artist name. The head unit will also display song/artist information from select music apps.
- Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position (if your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it).
Pandora App: The Pandora App (free) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Clarion M606 using your USB-connected Apple iPhone (iOS 7.0+), via the cable that came with your iPhone device or a 3rd party Apple certified cable (sold separately). Your iPhone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, 4G (LTE), or WiFi. You will also need a Pandora music service account.
- Music Control: The M606 provides control over the Pandora music service. You can select Pandora stations from your station list and sort them by date or alphabetically (A-Z). You can also skip song tracks within a station. You can even give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down or bookmark songs/artists that are currently playing.
- Song/Artist Display: The M606 will also display your Pandora station's song/artist information such as artist name, song title, and album title.
Note: Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Clarion M606 is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 5/18/2016):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Pandora||Artist/Song Text||Track Info||Audio||Phone|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Global Radio Tuner w/ Weather Band: The built-in multi-band tuner supports reception of radio stations just about anywhere in the world - which is nice when you're sailing around the globe or just across the gulf. And with Weather Band you'll always have the latest weather updates, including automatic reception of emergency weather information to keep your voyage as smooth as possible.
- AM/FM Radio: The Clarion M606 is equipped with a built-in AM/FM tuner offering manual, seek, & preset tuning. 18 FM station presets and 6 AM station presets can stored; stations can be stored manually or automatically. Preset scan lets you quickly scan through all of your preset stations in a selected band. This function is useful when searching for a desired preset station. When Local seeking is turned "On", only those radio stations with strong radio signal can be received. This unit's tuner is initially set to USA frequency intervals, but can be changed to Europe, Asia, and Australia tuning.
- Weather Band: Weather Band channels include - CH1 (162.400MHz), CH2 (162.425MHz), CH3 (162.450MHz), CH4 (162.475MHz), CH5 (162.500MHz), CH6 (162.525MHz), & CH7 (162.550MHz).
SiriusXM-Ready: The Clarion M606 is SiriusXM-Ready and compatible with the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300 sold separately). The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 175+ SiriusXM channels via subscription; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here. Additional features of the SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's display
- Category Search feature lets you search for channels within a certain genre or category
- Up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets
- The Replay features allows you to pause, rewind, and replay live SiriusXM Satellite Radio on the current channel or station
- Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
MOSFET Amplifier: The Clarion M606 is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit. The power output specs for the M606 are as follows:
- CEA2006 Specs: 20 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (200 watts total)
Note: The power specifications for the M606 are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers.
4V/6Ch RCA Outputs: With 6-Channel 4-Volt RCA Outputs, you are free to add external power amplifiers to create a more powerful, sophisticated audio system. What's more, the 4-volt output assures a pure, high quality signal for your entire sound system. The non-fading subwoofer preamp output features an independent level control (+/-6) and phase adjustment (normal/reverse).
Built-in Crossovers: The Clarion M606 is equipped with built-in low-pass and high-pass crossovers.
- Low-Pass Subwoofer Filter: The Low-Pass Filter (LPF) for the subwoofer RCA output will send only the low frequency range through the preamp outputs to ensure superb performance with a connected subwoofer. The low-pass filter can be set to 60Hz, 90Hz, 120Hz, or Through (full-range).
- High-Pass Filter: The M606 features a High-Pass Filter (HPF) for the unit's front & rear channels, via speaker-output or RCA-output. You can adjust the high-pass filter from 60Hz, 90Hz, 120Hz, or Through (full-range). The HPF prevents low bass notes from distorting your front & rear speakers. The high-pass filter setting effects both the front & rear channels of the head unit.
3-Band EQ + Presets: The Clarion M606 incorporates a 3-band EQ and 5 EQ presets. The EQ presets consist of Pop, Classic, Jazz, Off, or Custom. The User preset allows you to adjust the head unit's 3-band EQ (Bass, Mid, & Treble) from -6 to +6. EQ settings are applied to all sources.
Loudness: The Loudness features enhances both the bass & treble frequencies at lower volumes.
4 Zone Control: The Clarion M606's built-in amplifier and 6-channel RCA preouts, along with a dedicated fixed stereo output can be configured to distribute the same audio source to 4 different locations on your boat at varying volume levels. Volume of Zone 1, Zone 2, and Zone 3 will be controlled from the M606 receiver; while Zone 4's volume level is controlled by an external volume control (sold separately).
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
24 questions already asked