About the Clarion M608
Made for mariners
Made for mariners
With its smooth styling cutting-edge technology, and marine-rated toughness, Clarion's M608 digital media receiver is a great way to add sound and style to your boat. This powerful, versatile receiver includes built-in Bluetooth®, lots of connectivity options, eight preamp outputs and the security of IP55-certified water resistance.
Built-in Bluetooth® and more
This feature-filled receiver lets you stream music from your smartphone or any other Bluetooth device to your boat's sound system. Bluetooth aptX processing lets you enjoy CD-quality sound from your compatible Android smartphone without having to store a box of CDs on your boat.
Plenty of ways to play
If you've ripped your entire CD collection and gone digital, you can plug your iPhone into the rear USB port and enjoy all your favorite MP3 or WMA tunes, or you can play your digital music player through the AUX input.
If you're a SiriusXM satellite radio subscriber (or plan to be), the M608 works with the SXV300 tuner (sold separately). You'll enjoy a vast selection of music, news, entertainment and sports programming, as far as 100 miles offshore.
The M608 lets you master your music collection, including genre/album/song title search, using your iPhone. If you're a Pandora® Internet radio fan, you can listen to your favorite stations when your iPhone's connected via USB. Song and artist information shows up clearly on the sharp-looking 2-line display.
Adjust and expand your sound
Clarion built this rugged marine receiver to last, but it's also designed to deliver outstanding sound. The 3-band parametric equalizer lets you adjust the highs, mids, and lows to suit your preferences, and you can use the built-in frequency filters and subwoofer controls to get the best possible performance from your system. With 8 preamp outputs, you'll also be able to expand your system in the future.
Four distinct audio zones
The M608 gives you four-zone audio control, so you can split the boat into four distinct areas to suit your needs, and each one can be controlled by a compatible Clarion wired remote (sold separately).
Tune in terrestrial radio, anywhere you go
Clarion's outstanding AM/FM tuner hauls in plenty of local radio stations, no matter where in the world "local" might happen to be. You'll also be able to get the latest on changing conditions from the NOAA Weather Band, including automatic reception of emergency information.
Easy fit and functionality
The single-DIN chassis fits into most dash openings, while the oversized face features easy-to-reach knobs and backlit buttons that add visual punch and improve nighttime usability. The 2-line, black-on-white LCD display gives you the information you need with just a glance. The M608 also works with Clarion's MW1, MW2, MW3, and MF2 marine remotes.
Ready for moisture, salt, and spray
The M608's front panel is IP55 tested and certified to give you best-in-class water intrusion and salt water protection. On the inside, rubber gaskets and integrated drainage channels keep water out, but the rear of the receiver is IPX3 tested and certified just in case water somehow manages to seep into the console.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
This marine digital media receiver will not play CDs.
- marine digital media receiver with AM/FM/WB tuner
- no internal CD player plays digital music files from your iPod and other external sources
- works with Apple® or Android smartphones
- built-in Bluetooth® for music streaming
- Bluetooth aptX for superior sound quality from Android phones
- enjoy Pandora internet radio using your iPhone®
- 2-line black-on-white LCD display
- 3-band parametric EQ with 11 preset sound curves
- fully-adjustable fader and subwoofer level controls
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- built-in iPod control
- 3-band EQ lets you shape your sound
- low-pass subwoofer filter
- rear USB and AUX inputs
- outputs: 8-channel preamp outputs (4-volt)
- IP55 tested and certified for water resistance
- conformal-coated circuit board
Other Features and Specs:
- built-in amplifier (18 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- CTA-2006 compliant
- works with a variety of optional Clarion wired remotes
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 92700
What's in the box:
- Marine digital media receiver (rubber gasket installed)
- Chrome trim-ring
- Black trim-ring
- Wiring harness
- SiriusXM/SWC harness
- Zone output harness
- Aux input harness
- Wired remote harness
- 6 Screws
- Rear-support stud
- 2 Washers
- Installation Template
- Quick Start Guide
- Warranty Information
Clarion M608 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Clarion M608
Features & specs
|AUX Input||RCA x 2 (rear)|
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||18 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||18 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||White|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Radio Data System||No|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA|
Marine Tested: Clarion's M608 marine source unit is IP55 tested and certified to provide you the best in water intrusion and salt water protection in its class, at the front panel where it's most exposed to the elements. Internally, rubber gaskets stop water in its tracks and integrated drainage channels keep water out, with an IPX3 tested and certified rear end for protection even if water manages to seep into the console. The Clarion M608 has been designed from the ground up to specifically meet or exceed the far more stringent performance and durability requirements of marine applications including -
- Meets or Exceeds ASTM B117 (Salt Fog Exposure)
- Meets or Exceeds ASTM D4329 (UV Exposure)
- Meets or Exceeds 3.0G of Vibration Resistance
- Circuit Boards Coated in a Moisture Resistant Polymer
- Low Power Consumption when Powered Off
Large High Visibility LCD: The large, white color LCD offers a crystal clear, easy-to-read display that shows you all the information you need up front and at-a-glance. The 13-digit, 2-line LCD on the M608 allows characters to be displayed clearly in all lighting conditions. Whether you want to know what song is playing or just reference the time, clear concise lettering makes reading the screen quick and easy.
Optional Remote Controls: The Clarion M608 is equipped with a rear mounted 8-pin DIN connector to accommodate optional Clarion wired & wireless remote controls, plus a 3.5mm SWC input for steering wheel remote control interface modules (all sold separately).
- Wired Remotes: The M608 is compatible with the
following wired remotes from Clarion and a variety of steering wheel control
- Marine Remote: The MW1 (sold separately) is a hardwired remote control with an LCD screen. The MW4 (sold separately) is a more advanced wired remote with a 2.8" color LCD screen.
- Steering Wheel Control: The head unit has the ability to retain your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately - see Accessories tab).
- Wireless Remotes: The M608 is compatible with the
following RF and WiFi remotes from Clarion.
- RF Remote: The Clarion MF1 (sold separately) is a RF remote control which is waterproof and designed to float. The MF1 meets or exceeds ASTM B117 (Salt/Fog Exposure), ASTM D4329 (UV Exposure), and IP67 (International Protection Rating).
- WiFi Remote Module: The Clarion MF2 marine remote module (sold separately) features built-in WiFi and allows you to control the Clarion marine receiver via the free Clarion MF2 app on your Apple iOS 6.0+ device.
Note: When two remotes are used in combination with one another, Clarion's MW-RYC-RET Y-adapter (sold separately) is required.
Optional NMEA 2000 Interface Module: Clarion's MW6 NMEA 2000 Compliant interface module (sold separately) allows Clarion marine source unit to be seamlessly added to your boat's onboard NMEA 2000 network, enabling control and two-way communication of the Clarion source unit directly from the boat's Multi-Function Display (MFD) device. Control functions include source and track selection, play/pause, and more. Two-way communication between the Clarion source unit and your MFD allows source selection, song/track/ album title, radio frequency and more to display on the MFD interface.
Mounting Options: The M608 requires a rectangular cutout in the bulkhead for inserting the chassis. Four screws (supplied) fasten the faceplate against the mounting surface, and hold the waterproof gasket against the bulkhead. A clear, self-adhesive template is supplied to assist you with the cutout and drilling the screw holes. You can install the unit within 30-degrees of horizontal. You can choose between a chrome or black trim-ring.
- Receiver Dimensions: The receiver has the following
chassis and nose dimensions -
- Chassis: 7.155" (w) x 2.015" (h) x 7.605" (d)
- Nose: 7.705" (w) x 3.505" (h) x 1.5625" (d)
- Screw Hole Pattern: The faceplate has a total of four mounting holes
and comes with four screws to secure the unit to the bulkhead. The screw hole spacing is as follows:
- Top Row Width: 7.0625"
- Bottom Row Width: 7.25"
- Height Between Top & Bottom Row: 2.9375"
- Screw Mounting Depth: 0.875"
Notes: If you're a long-time Clarion marine audio fan looking to upgrade, the M608 will fit directly into the space currently occupied by your Clarion CMV1, CMD6, CMD7, CMD8, M608 marine receiver. The M608 uses the same cut-out, screw holes, and wiring harness, plus it works with the same Clarion marine remotes.
Android MTP Compatible: The Clarion M608 also supports MTP for playback & control of stored MP3/WMA music files on your Android (OS 4.0+) device through the Clarion receiver's rear-panel USB port. In this mode, you get basic playback control (like Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track), plus song/artist information on the receiver's LCD screen. During MTP connection, you cannot use your Android smartphone's touchscreen to control music playback and you cannot select music apps from your smartphone for playback. However, you can continue to listen to stored music on your Android smartphone through the head unit while you check your Calendar, Facebook, Texts, etc on your phone.
Note: Clarion does not guarantee operation with all Android devices, regardless of operating system.
iPod/iPhone/iPad Direct Connection (Lightning Only): The Clarion M608's rear-panel USB port lets you connect an Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad with Lightning connector for music playback. Simply use the cable that came with your iPod/iPhone device or an Apple certified Lightning-to-USB cable (sold separately). The M608 supports audio playback, control, display, and charging of your compatible Apple device.
- Control: The Clarion head unit allows you to navigate your Apple device's music by Playlist, Artists, Album, Genre, Composer, Song, Audiobooks, or Podcast. These categories and music files inside these categories will be listed alphabetically. The head unit also controls Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, Fast-Forward/Rewind, and Random/Repeat functions. You can also continue to use the touchscreen of your connected Apple iPod touch or iPhone to access additional music apps and other playback options.
- Display: The head unit will display artist name, song title, and album title from your Apple devices stored music library and select music apps (not compatible with all apps).
- Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 2A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone/iPad when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position (if your iPod/iPhone/iPad has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it).
Note: The Clarion M608 does not support connection of older 30-pin Apple iPods and iPhones.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Clarion M608 is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone/iPad model features (as of 4/3/2018):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Pandora||Artist/Song Text||Track Info||Audio||Phone|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone/iPad to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Wireless Audio Streaming: The Clarion M608 supports wireless audio playback (AD2P 1.2) and control (AVRCP 1.3) of a Bluetooth-enabled smartphone or audio player, plus song/artist information display and support for aptX music streaming. You are able to wirelessly stream your stored music library, music apps, and other content on your Bluetooth source device to the Clarion marine receiver.
- SBC + aptX Codecs: In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the M608 incorporates the Qualcomm's lossless Bluetooth aptX codec (primarily for Android OS 4.0+ devices) which helps retain sound elements lost during digital compression of audio files, ensuring users the ability to always enjoy high quality sound with wireless convenience.
- Control & Display: You can control basic playback & search functions from the M608; including Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip, and Random/Repeat (advanced music browsing requires the use of your Bluetooth source device). The head unit will display your stored music and music app's song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title (not compatible with all apps).
- Simple Secure Pairing (SSP): With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth device to the Clarion M608 without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. When a paired Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically pairs the two units. You can pair up to three Bluetooth-enabled devices to the Clarion head unit, but only one can be used at a time.
Note: When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
USB MSC Playback: The Clarion M608 features a rear-panel USB (type-A) port that is that is attached to rear-chassis by a 8" cable. The USB port enables connection and control of a portable USB mass-storage class (MSC) device; such as select portable digital audio players or USB thumbdrives. The unit supports playback of MP3/WMA music files stored on a compatible USB memory device.
- Control: Control functions include Folder/File Search, Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, Fast-Forward/Rewind, and Intro Scan (10 seconds). The Top Function feature resets the USB device to the first track.
- Display: The unit will display song/artist/album information along with track number and elapsed playing time.
- Charging: USB portable audio players that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the digital media receiver's USB port (max. 2A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Note: The unit's USB port does not support connection of a USB hub or card-reader.
Dual Aux Inputs: This unit features two rear mounted, stereo RCA auxiliary inputs so you can connect up to two external audio sources. The sensitivity of the inputs can be set (low, mid, or high) to match the output of the auxiliary source to the other sources.
Pandora Internet Radio: The free Pandora App (for Apple iOS 10.0+ or Android 4.0+) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Clarion M608 using your USB or Bluetooth connected Apple iPhone, or Bluetooth connected Android smartphone. The M608 provides control over the Pandora music service and displays Artist, Album, and Song information. Your iPhone or Android smartphone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G) or WiFi. You will also need a Pandora music service account.
- Music Control: The M608 provides control over the Pandora music service. You can select Pandora stations from your station list and sort them by date or alphabetically (A-Z). You can also skip song tracks within a station. You can even give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down or bookmark songs/artists that are currently playing.
- Song/Artist Display: The M608 will also display your Pandora station's song/artist information such as artist name, song title, and album title.
Note: Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android smartphone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada and is only available in the United States.
SiriusXM-Ready: The Clarion M608 is SiriusXM-Ready and compatible with the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300 sold separately). The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 175+ SiriusXM channels via subscription; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here. Additional features of the SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Song/Artist/Album Display: Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's display.
- Category Search & Scan: The Category Search feature lets you search for channels within a certain genre or category. Category Scan is useful when you are search for a desired channel within a specific category.
- Presets: You can store up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets for easier access. Preset Scan even lets you quickly scan through all of your preset stations in a selected SiriusXM band.
- Instant Replay: The Instant Replay feature allows you to pause, rewind, and replay live SiriusXM Satellite Radio content from the current SiriusXM channel you are listening to.
- Parental Lock: Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked.
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
Global Radio Tuner w/ Weather Band: The built-in multi-band tuner supports reception of radio stations just about anywhere in the world - which is nice when you're sailing around the globe or just across the gulf. And with Weather Band you'll always have the latest weather updates, including automatic reception of emergency weather information to keep your voyage as smooth as possible.
- AM/FM Radio: The Clarion M608 is equipped with a
built-in AM/FM tuner offering manual, seek, and preset tuning (with preset
scan). 18 FM station presets and 6 AM station presets can stored; stations
can be stored manually or automatically. Preset scan lets you quickly scan
through all of your preset stations in a selected band. This function is
useful when searching for a desired preset station. When Local seeking is
turned "On", only those radio stations with strong radio signal can be
received. This unit's tuner is initially set to USA frequency intervals, but
can be changed to Europe, Australia, and other countries tuning.
- USA: FM (87.9-107.9 MHz) / AM (530-1710 kHz)
- Europe: FM (87.5-108.0 MHz) / AM 531-1602 kHz)
- Australia/Other Countries: FM (87.5-108.0MHz / AM (531-1629 kHz)
- Weather Band: Weather Band channels include - CH1 (162.400MHz), CH2 (162.425MHz), CH3 (162.450MHz), CH4 (162.475MHz), CH5 (162.500MHz), CH6 (162.525MHz), & CH7 (162.550MHz).
MOSFET Amplifier: The Clarion M608 is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit. The power output specs for the M608 are as follows:
- CTA-2006 Specs: 18 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (200 watts total)
Note: The power specifications for the M608 are compliant with the CTA-2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Technology Association (CTA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers.
4V/6Ch RCA Outputs: With 6-Channel/4-Volt RCA Outputs, you are free to add external power amplifiers to create a more powerful, sophisticated audio system. What's more, the 4-volt output assures a pure, high quality signal for your entire sound system. The non-fading subwoofer preamp output features an independent level control (+/-6) and phase adjustment (normal/reverse).
Built-in Crossovers: The Clarion M608 is equipped with built-in low-pass and high-pass crossovers.
- Low-Pass Subwoofer Filter: The Low-Pass Filter (LPF) for the subwoofer RCA output will send only the low frequency range through the preamp outputs to ensure superb performance with a connected subwoofer. The low-pass filter can be set to 60Hz, 90Hz, 120Hz, or Through (full-range).
- High-Pass Filter: The M608 features a High-Pass Filter (HPF) for the unit's front & rear channels, via speaker-output or RCA-output. You can adjust the high-pass filter from 60Hz, 90Hz, 120Hz, or Through (full-range). The HPF prevents low bass notes from distorting your front & rear speakers. The high-pass filter setting effects both the front & rear channels of the head unit.
3-Band EQ + Presets: The Clarion M608 incorporates a 3-band EQ and 6 EQ presets. The EQ presets consist of Pop, Classic, Rock, Jazz, Off, or Custom. The User preset allows you to adjust the head unit's 3-band EQ (Bass, Mid, & Treble) from -6 to +6. EQ settings are applied to all sources.
Loudness: The Loudness features enhances both the bass & treble frequencies at lower volumes.
4 Zone Control: The Clarion M608's built-in amplifier and 6-channel RCA preouts, along with a dedicated fixed stereo output can be configured to distribute the same audio source to 4 different locations on your boat at varying volume levels. Volume of Zone 1, Zone 2, and Zone 3 will be controlled from the M608 receiver; while Zone 4's volume level is controlled by an external volume control (sold separately).
Beep Confirmation: The marine head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
The Clarion M608 replaces these items
- works with Apple® or Android smartphones
- Bluetooth aptX for superior sound quality from Android phones
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
10 questions already asked