About the Clarion MAX685BT
Designed for the double-DIN opening in your dash, Clarion's MAX685BT DVD receiver combines a stylish 7" motorized touchscreen, connections for a host of outboard sources, and Bluetooth capability. The built-in Bluetooth receiver gives you an automatic wireless connection to your cell phone or portable music player, so you can conduct hands-free phone calls or stream music through your car's speaker system.
Connect your iPod® or digital music player to the rear USB connection, and you'll be able to control audio playback while you view album, artist, and track information on the screen. Add an XM satellite radio tuner, and listen to sports, talk, news, and commercial-free music wherever you are, 24 hours a day. The built-in DVD player works with a number of video formats, including DivX and DivX6, and the motorized face tilts for comfortable viewing while you're parked. Connect a second monitor in the backseat and keep your passengers entertained with a movie while you drive.
The punchy internal amplifier teams up with a number of audio adjustment features, including a 3-band parametric equalizer for fine tuning the bass, midrange, and treble. Clarion includes a wireless remote so you can make adjustments while keeping your eyes on the road ahead, or you can add an adapter that'll connect this Clarion to your factory steering wheel controls. And for those long road trips, Clarion's optional navigation system will guide you to your destination with easy-to-read maps on the big screen.
Note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver or its optional iPod adapter.
Note: Bluetooth compatibility of this device may vary, depending on your phone and service provider.
- in-dash DVD receiver internal amp (20 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 watts peak x 4 channels)
- motorized 7"touchscreen
- fits double-DIN (4"tall) dash openings
- built-in Bluetooth capability for hands-free and audio streaming
- wireless remote
- plays CDs, CD-R/RW, DVD-Rs/RWs, DVD+Rs/RWs, MP3/WMAs on CD and DVD, DivX (including DivX6)
- 24-bit digital-to-analog converter
- 3-band parametric equalizer
- Magna Bass EX bass enhancer
- high- and low-pass filters
- dual zone operation
- compatible with: Clarion navigation system, CCUiPod1 iPod adapter (audio/video), satellite radio (XM mini-tuner direct connection ready - not compatible with SIRIUS), CD changer
- inputs: one A/V input, rear USB input (for iPod direct control)
- outputs: RCA outputs for dual zone operation, 6-channel preamp outputs (front/rear/subwoofer)
What's in the box:
- Double-DIN AM/FM/CD/DVD receiver with 7" LCD monitor
- Trim ring
- Wireless remote control (RCB198)
- CR2025 Lithium battery
- Wiring harness (with in-line 15A fuse on constant power wire)
- Preamp output/AV Input harness
- Rectangular plastic/foam gasket
- Electro tap (plastic wire splice)
- 8 Flathead ISO-mount screws (M5 x 8mm)
- 8 Hex/Phillips head screws (M5 x 8mm)--each with a flat washer
- 12 Rubber caps for RCA jacks
- Owner's Manual & Instruction Manual (English/French/Spanish)
- Warranty sheet
- Clarion Product Registration Information sheet
Clarion MAX685BT reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Clarion MAX685BT
Features & specs
|USB Port Power||---|
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||USB Memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||XM|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||20 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||White|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Yes|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||9 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
|Music File Playback|
|Second Camera Input Lane Watch||N|
2-DIN Chassis: The MAX685BT has a 2-DIN chassis (also known as "Double DIN" or size DD), and will fit in many vehicles with a large dash opening. Unlike many in-dash monitors, there is no hideaway box; all the inputs and outputs are included within the unit's chassis. The unit can be ISO-mounted using factory brackets and the supplied hardware. There is also an optional custom double-DIN sleeve (item number 0202DBKT) available for this unit that will allow you to mount the MAX685BT in custom 4" openings. As always, please check the Crutchfield Vehicle Selector to verify fit with your vehicle.
Note: This unit does not come supplied with a sleeve to euro-mount the radio.
Motorized 7" Touch Panel TFT Display: The Clarion MAX685BT is a double-DIN DVD Multimedia Station with a 7" TFT wide screen display and touch panel controls. The monitor has a resolution of 480 x 234 and 336,960 total pixels. The screen is motorized, and will slide out and down for easy loading and ejecting of your DVDs and CDs.
Touch Panel Controls: This unit has touch panel controls with interactive video graphics, making menu navigation easy. An on-screen numeric keypad allows you to directly access radio frequencies, and DVD/CD/MP3/WMA discs, chapters, folders, and tracks. The touch-screen surface is treated to resist dust and grime.
Display Angles: You can adjust the display's angle between 0° or 30° for better visibility. After the viewing angle has been set, the unit will return the display to that angle each time, even if the unit is turned off.
Display Adjustment: You can adjust the dimmer, brightness, color, contrast and hue level of the unit's display monitor when viewing a video image.
Dimmer Feature: When the orange/white illumination wire of this unit receives power (i.e. when you turn the vehicle's lights on), the display will change from the default day color to the default night color. You can independently adjust the brightness of the display with and without the vehicle's lights on.
24-bit D/A Converter: The unit's 24-bit D/A converter re-quantizes the 16-bit audio signals from CDs and DVDs as 24-bit data while maintaining the low distortion and high linearity of a 1-bit D/A converter. This allows an expanded dynamic range and clearer reproduction of subtle nuances, for a richer sound when viewing DVDs or listening to CDs.
DZ-Enhancer: This units provides 3 types of digital sound tone effects stored in its memory, each having six levels of adjustment (-3 to +3). You can choose from the following DZ-Enhancer presets.
- DZ1: suitable for factory speakers
- DZ2: suitable for separate (component) speakers
- DZ3: suitable for coaxial speakers
3-Band Parametric EQ: The multimedia headunit allows you to make the following Bass and Treble adjustments.
- Gain: -6dB to +8dB (in 1dB increments)
- Center Frequency: 50Hz, 80Hz, or 120Hz
- Q: 1, 1.25, 1.5, or 2
- Gain: -6dB to +6dB (in 1dB increments)
- Center Frequency: 700Hz, 1kHz, or 2kHz
- Q: 1.5 or 2
- Gain: -6dB to +6dB (in 1dB increments)
- Center Frequency: 8kHz or 12kHz
Magna Bass EX: To emphasize the deep bass sounds, you can activate the Magna Bass EX effect. Allowing you to boost the ultra-low frequency range of your sound system with a center frequency of around 50Hz, this feature automatically compensates for the increased bass to eliminate any unwanted noise. M-B EX can be turned on or off in the menu.
6-Channel Preamp Output: The multimedia headunit is equipped with stereo front, rear and subwoofer preamp outputs for connecting the unit to an external amplifier.
Amplifier Bypass: You can bypass the built-in amplifier so the audio signal can be routed to an external amp in its purest state. This prevents any noise or distortion from being introduced by the internal circuitry.
High Pass Filter: The MAX685BT features a High Pass Filter that can be set to either 50, 80, 120Hz or "Through". The "Through" setting allows for full-range operation while the other settings only allow frequencies above the selected frequency to reach your speakers.
Low Pass Filter: The multimedia player also features a low pass filter for the subwoofer preamp output. You can select between "Through", 50Hz, 80Hz or 120Hz. If you select "Through" then your external amplifier's built-in low pass crossover will do all the filtering.
Subwoofer Output Level: You can adjust the dedicated subwoofer preamp output level from -6 to +6 dB.
Dual-Zone Capability: The Dual-Zone function allows internal sources (Tuner, DVD, CD) and external sources (AUX, SAT, USB, iPod) to be played from the Main Zone while selected sources (DVD, USB, AUX) can be played from the Second Zone of your vehicle. Controlling sources of the Main Zone and Second Zone can be made from the MAX685BT or the supplied wireless remote control. The source sounds of the Main Zone are played back from the speakers of the vehicle and those of the Second Zone are played back from an optional set of wireless headphones.
CATS (Clarion Anti-Theft System): You may program the unit with a 4 digit security code. Once the unit has been programmed with a security code, the code must be entered to use the unit after it has been disconnected from power.
IR Wireless Remote Control: In addition to the unit's touch-panel and hard-key controls the MAX685BT comes supplied with an IR wireless remote control for full function of the multimedia player.
Disc Compatibility: The MAX685BT can play back the following types of discs.
- CD: CD-Audio, CD-Text, CD-R, CD-RW
- DVD: DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW
MP3/WMA Playback: This unit can play MP3/WMA files recorded on CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, and DVD+RW discs in Joliet, Romeo, or ISO 9660 Level 1 or 2 format. The maximum allowable number of folders is 255 with a maximum number of files in each folder of 255 with a maximum of 8 levels of hierarchy. The unit can recognize up to 999 files on one disc. The headunit also supports ID3 Tag information which will display the title, artist, and album information when recorded on the disc.
AAC Playback: This unit will also playback AAC files recorded onto CD-R and CD-RW discs with a bit-rate of 8-320 kbps or a variable bit-rate. AAC files composed with the following conditions can be played: AAC files encoded with iTunes, iTunes Ver. 7.0 or earlier, and File extension .m4a (.M4A). The player can recognize up to 8 hierarchical levels, 255 files per folder and 510 total files. The headunit will also support folder name and file names up to 64 characters.
Note: Tracks purchased at an iTune Music store, and copyright-protected files cannot be played
DivX Playback: This unit can play back DivX formatted files recorded on DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW and CD-R/RW discs. The unit support all version of DivX video playback of DivX media files (including DivX 6) .
Touch Screen Controls: During DVD play, you can control the playback with a touch screen control pad. You can navigate through menus using an on-screen "cross-key" pad, or directly select a chapter using an on-screen number pad.
Display Size: This setting allows you to select Full Wide (the whole image elongates horizontally), Wide (image is expanded in same way as Full Wide but the width becomes narrower), Full (image is expanded while the width narrows) Cinema (the top and bottom areas of the screen are cut off), or Normal (there is a black zone at both left and right ends of the screen) for both 4:3 and 16:9 images.
Video Out Screen Size: You can set up the screen size of the unit's video output to match your connected rear monitor's aspect ratio. You can select from Wide, Pan-Scan or Letter-Box.
Multi-Angle Display: This function allows you to choose the viewing angle of scenes that were shot from a number of different angles. This function is limited to DVDs recorded with multiple camera angles. When this feature is turned on, an angle mark display appears on the screen for scenes that were shot at different angles.
Parental Lock: You can set and change the level of parental lock. This function allows cutting scenes that are unfavorable for children or replacing them automatically with other scenes prepared in advance. There is an 8 levels of parental lock that are protected by a custom user 4-digit password.
USB Port: The headunit features a rear panel USB port on a 36" pigtail that allows you to connect and play USB Mass Storage and Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) devices loaded with MP3, WMA and AAC files. This unit is compatible with USB 1.1/2.0 with maximum data transfer rates of 12Mbps. The multimedia headunit will support MP3 files with a bit rate of 32-320 kbps, WMA files with a bit rate of 32-192 kbps and AAC files with a bit rate of 16-320 kbps. When connected to an MTP audio player, the MAX685BT can play files protected with Windows Media DRM10. The MAX685BT can recognize up to 512 folders with a maximum of 255 files in each folder. The MAX685BT offers the following playback operation of your USB Mass Storage device - Play, Pause, Track selection, Fast-forward/backward, Scan play, Repeat play, Random play and Folder selection.
iPod Direct: The Clarion MAX685BT allows you to connect your iPod to the headunit's rear-panel USB port using your iPod's USB/Dock cable for audio playback, control and charging of your iPod. This unit also supports the display of title information transmitted from your iPod. You can even transfer video from a 5th generation iPod video using the optional Clarion CCA-723 connector cable (item # 020CCA723). Video can only be displayed while the vehicle is in park (the unit will display "Audio Only" when your vehicle is in motion). The MAX685BT offers two iPod playback modes - Play Mode and iPod Menu Mode:
- Play Mode: During Play Mode you can control the following playback functions of your iPod: Skip Tracks, Fast-forward/backward, Pause, Repeat, Random and Cancel.
- iPod Menu Mode: The iPod Menu Mode allows you to select music for playback from your iPod by category (Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Genre, or Composer). You can select between categories by using the headunit's numbered preset buttons 1-6. Once you have selected a category, you can search through the tracks in that particular category.
Note: The headunit's USB port supports direct audio control only of the following iPods: iPod nano (1st/2nd/3rd generation), iPod classic, iPod touch, and iPhone. For video playback without head unit control from iPod classic, iPod 3rd generation nano, iPod touch, and iPhone, an Apple AV cable (item # 472AVCAB) is required, connected to the head unit's Vision Input. Your iPod should be updated with the latest software from Apple.
Built-In Bluetooth: The MAX685BT features built-in Bluetooth Technology. Bluetooth wireless technology enables voice and data to be sent via a short-distant digital radio link (2.4GHz) up to approximately 33 feet. The MAX685BT supports the following Bluetooth wireless technology profiles.
- HFP/OPP: The MAX685BT supports wireless hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. The MAX685BT allows you to carry on a phone conversation from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone using the headunit's built-in microphone and your car audio speakers. The MAX685BT utilizes a Noise Canceller feature to reduce noise generated during hands-free conversation. The multimedia MAX685BT allows you to answer the call manually from the headunit's controls or automatically. You can make a call from the MAX685BT using the unit's on-screen ten-key pad, your transferred Phone Book, or a call history data log of dialed and received calls. The unit also feature an redial function. You can pair up to 5 Bluetooth enable mobile phones.
- A2DP/AVRCP: The MAX685BT supports wireless music streaming for transferring stereo music audio data that is processed as a steady and continuous audible stream from your Bluetooth enabled phone or audio player to the Clarion headunit and your car's audio system. You can listen to and control music stored on your Bluetooth enabled phone or audio player. The MAX685BT lets you control the following playback functions from your Bluetooth compatible phone or audio player - Play, Pause, Stop, Track Search, Fast Forward and Rewind. The Clarion MAX685BT supports up to 5 Bluetooth audio device.
Note: The Apple iPhone does not support Bluetooth wireless music audio transmission and control.
XM Satellite Radio: The Clarion MAX685BT features a direct XM port for connecting and controlling the optional XM Radio Mini-Tuner. There are two options for purchasing the parts needed to add XM Radio:
- CNP2000UC: The CNP2000UC package (item number 220CNP20UC) includes all the necessary parts, plus an extra; the included Mini-Tuner, Mini-Tuner dock, and car antenna are used, the included protocol interface is not used, therefore no firmware download is required.
- XM Tuner Pack + Antenna: The XM Tuner Pack (item number 700XMTUNPK, originally designed for home use) includes most of the necessary parts, plus an extra; the included Mini-Tuner and Mini-Tuner dock are used, but the included home antenna is not used. A car antenna must be added to the tuner pack (item number 209XMICRO2 or 250XMICRO) to complete the installation.
Note: A subscription is also required to receive satellite radio programming from XM. This unit is not compatible with Sirius Satellite Radio.
Navigation Ready: The MAX685BT support's the Clarion NAX980HD or NAX970HD Navigation Units (sold separately). The Navigation Unit's 30 or 40 GB High Speed mobile Hard Drive is pre-loaded with highly detailed maps of the contiguous US and Canada, including more than 10 million points of interest. The optional Navigation Unit seamlessly integrates with the MAX685BT and utilizes its easy-to-use touch panel control accented by a high-resolution graphic interface. The Navigation Unit also features a proprietary high speed signal processing and dedicated CPU which makes route planning and POI selection faster and more accurate. In addition, the included on-board graphics processing of the Navigation Unit allows for high-resolution 2D and 3D maps as well as menus that can deliver more in-depth information.
CeNET CD Changer Controls: This unit is equipped with a CeNET control connector and can control up to a total of two CeNET changers (CD and/or MD). Two changer control requires a Y-adapter (item number 020CCA519, sold separately). The following operations are the same as for built-in CD mode: Pause, Track Selection, Fast-forward/Fast-backward, Scan Play, Repeat Play, and Random Play.
Rear Panel Inputs and Outputs: In addition to the power harness and antenna connections, the unit features the following connections:
- Preamp Output/AV Input Molex Jack: A 20-pin harness
with 12 RCA jacks plugs into this jack for the following inputs and outputs:
- Preamp Outputs: The unit is equipped with three pairs of stereo female RCA jacks for connecting to external amplifiers (front, rear, subwoofer).
- Visual In: Composite video and stereo RCA input for connecting an external A/V source to the unit.
- CCD In: Composite video input for connecting an optional rear-view back-up camera.
- Rear Video Out: A stereo audio and composite video output for connecting to an optional rear monitor.
- USB Port: Type-A USB High-speed 2.0 port on a 3' pigtail attached to the rear chassis of the unit for connection of USB mass-storage devices such as portable MP3 players and USB thumb-drives.
- XM Port: A direct port for connecting the optional XM Mini-Tuner (cradle and antenna also necessary)
- CeNET Terminal: Proprietary Clarion port for connecting an optional external CeNET component such as a multi-disc CD-changer or navigation unit.
- RGB Terminal: The RGB terminal is used for connecting optional Clarion navigation unit.
- Microphone Terminal: 3.5mm terminal for connecting optional external Bluetooth microphone (RCB-199).
- OEM Remote: The unit also features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit to allow you to keep your vehicle's radio steering wheel remote controls and/or rear seat radio controls when used with the optional SWI-JACK interface adapter (item number 127SWIJACK, sold separately). The SWI-JACK is compatible with over 95% of the vehicles made from 1986 to the present. Compatible vehicles include many Acura, Audi, BMW, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, GMC, Harley Davidson, Honda, Hummer, Hyundai, Infiniti, Isuzu, Jaguar, Jeep, Kia, Land Rover, Lexus, Lincoln, Mazda, Mercury, Mini, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Oldsmobile, Plymouth, Pontiac, Saab, Saturn, Scion, Suzuki, Toyota, and Volkswagen vehicles. Please consult "Outfit My Car" to see if your vehicle is compatible.