About the Clarion NX501
Forget that boring factory radio — rule the road with Clarion's NX501 navigation receiver in your dash. You'll enjoy DVD playback, built-in hands-free calling with a compatible phone, and fingertip access to maps and driving directions. Designed for your double-DIN dash opening, the NX501 gives you a big 6.2" touchscreen and a simple, intuitive interface for controlling all your in-dash entertainment.
It's easy to get where you're going
Your maps really stand out on Clarion's vibrant display, day and night. And with GPS, you'll find your way with spoken, turn-by-turn directions. Everyone knows the pain of looking for a hotel, restaurant, or gas station in unfamiliar territory. With this receiver, you can search through 15 million preloaded "points of interest" to find the right one nearby.
It's always a decision when your phone rings on the highway — answer it or concentrate on the road? Built-in Bluetooth® lets you talk hands-free on your compatible phone so you can keep your hands on the wheel. When a call comes in, you can tap the screen to answer the call and hear your caller over the speakers. And you can even stream tunes if your device supports it.
Crank those tunes
Clarion's most powerful built-in amp does a great job driving your speaker system. You can choose from eleven preset tone settings, or make your own using the bass and treble controls. The subwoofer volume control lets you dial in just the right amount of bass if you've got a sub hooked up. Clarion includes a handy remote for on-the-fly changes.
iPod® controls and more
Connect your iPod to the rear USB slot, and you'll get touchscreen control over your tunes no adapter required. Add an optional adapter, and you can play videos from your iPod on the 6.2" screen when you're parked.
The NX501 plays your store-bought and recordable CDs and DVDs, including those you've loaded with MP3 and WMA files. You can load your files on a USB thumb drive, too. Clarion includes a handy remote so your passengers can choose the entertainment.
Movies and more
Enjoy watching DVDs up front while you're parked, or hook up a video screen in the back so the kids can watch movies as you drive — thanks to Clarion's "2-Zone" mode, your backseat gang can watch a video while you and your co-pilot enjoy music up front.
Your options don't end there add an optional satellite radio tuner and get the nearly endless variety of entertainment available. Or add Clarion's HD Radio™ tuner for sweet digital AM/FM sound quality and the ability to tag tunes for purchasing later on iTunes®. Three sets of 4-volt preamp outputs let you add amps and subs to the mix.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most vehicles, you can use an adapter to connect your vehicle's steering wheel controls to this Clarion stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and the Clarion, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. Check the "Accessories" tab for compatible adapters.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
- navigation receiver with AM/FM tuner
- internal amp (19 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 watts peak x 4 channels)
- 6.2" touchscreen
- fits double-DIN openings
- built-in GPS with maps of 50 states, Canada, and Puerto Rico, plus 15 million points of interest
- built-in Bluetooth
- wireless remote
- plays CDs, CD-R/RW, DVD-Rs/RWs, DVD+Rs/RWs, MP3/WMAs on CD, DVD, and USB thumb drive
- 24-bit digital-to-analog converter
- built-in iPod control Clarion's optional adapter required for viewing video content
- 2-band parametric equalizer with 11 tone presets
- dual-zone capability
- works with Clarion HD Radio tuner, SIRIUS satellite radio tuner
- inputs: rear USB input, two A/V inputs, rear-view camera input
- outputs: video output, 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
What's in the box:
- Navigation multimedia receiver
- Inserted 4GB microSD card (preloaded with maps)
- 2 Trim rings
- Wiring harness
- Preamp output harness
- Audio/video input harness
- Audio/vide output harness
- Microphone input harness
- Steering wheel remote input harness
- Sirius Satellite Radio harness
- HD Radio harness
- 16" Minijack AV to composite video/stereo RCA cable (male minijack connector on one end a female RCA jacks on other end)
- GPS antenna (with attached 16.5' cord)
- Remote control
- CR2025 Lithium battery (installed)
- 8 Counter-sunk ISO screws
- 8 Hex-head ISO screws
- 2 Wire splice taps (Red)
- 3 Self-adhesive wire clamps
- 3M tape
- Cleaning cloth
- Owner's Manual/Installation Manual (Eng/Fre/Spa)
- Navigation User Manual (Eng/Fre/Spa)
- Warranty Card (US/Canada)
Clarion NX501 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Clarion NX501
Features & specs
|AUX Input||Front AV|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Android Control||USB MSC protocol|
|Memory Card Slot||USB Memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||Sirius|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||19 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||Blue|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||8 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA|
2-DIN Chassis: The Clarion NX501 has a 2-DIN chassis (also known as "Double DIN" or size DD), and will fit in many vehicles with a large dash opening. The unit can be ISO-mounted using your vehicle's factory radio brackets and the supplied hardware. There is also an optional custom double-DIN sleeve (0202DBKT, sold separately) available for this unit that will allow you to mount the NX501 in a custom 4" opening.
Note: As always, please consult the Crutchfield Car Selector to verify fit with your vehicle.
6.2" Touchscreen TFT Display: The Clarion NX501 has an integrated 6.2" TFT widescreen display with touchscreen controls. The display provides a high-resolution video monitor for watching your DVD videos. The screen has a resolution of 800 x 480 (RGB) and 1,152,000 total pixels. The display features brightness and shape (4:3 or 16:9) adjustment. The unit's touch panel features interactive controls making menu navigation easy.
Note: The unit's 6.2" touchscreen is fixed and not detachable.
Touchscreen GUI with Flick Operation: The GUI (Graphical User Interface) shows large icons that are highly visible and easily recognizable at a glance. Feature icons are animated for an enhanced appearance, and they can be dragged and dropped into different positions to customize the screen. The NX501's touchscreen GUI (Graphical User Interface) supports flick operation, so you can quickly scroll to another menu page. Since the vast majority of functions are controllable from the touchscreen, there are only 3 physical buttons on the unit for the most basic and commonly-used functions.
Note: A screen cleaning cloth is provided to help you keep the unit's touchscreen display clean.
Monitor Adjustments: The Clarion NX501 offers the following touchscreen monitor adjustments.
- Wallpaper Backgrounds: The NX501 includes 10 preset wallpaper backgrounds to choose from. You can also download a custom wallpaper background from a connected USB thumbdrive.
- Brightness: You can adjust the touchscreen monitor's brightness from 0-20.
- Auto Dimmer: The receiver's display automatically dims to a preset brightness when the vehicle's headlights are turned on. The wiring harness includes an orange/white lead that should be connected to the vehicle's parking light circuit in order for the dimmer feature to operate.
- Monitor Off: You can turn the navigation-multimedia head unit's touchscreen monitor off when simply listening to music.
Parking Brake Detection: To prevent the displaying of video while the vehicle is in motion, the bright green wire in the supplied 18-pin harness must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. While the vehicle is in motion (parking brake off), you can still view all of the other displays and menus.
Anti-Theft Code: You may program the unit with a 4 digit security code. Once the unit has been programmed with a security code, the code must be entered to use the unit after it has been disconnected from power.
Navigation Mapping Software: The integrated map database (by TeleAtlas) used by the Clarion NX501 was created using high-resolution aerial and land based data collection. Navigation data is stored on the unit's preloaded 4GB microSD-card for quick access and response. The NX501 provides map coverage of the United States (all 50 states), Canada, and Puerto Rico. The Clarion NX501's integrated navigation software provides turn-by-turn visual and voice assistance to direct you to your selected destination. The built-in software quickly calculates step-by-step directions to any destination available on the included navigation map.
Note: Car navigation maps are frequently updated. While this database was judged to be as accurate as possible at the time of its release, a map database can never be 100% accurate. Road information that is maintained in the map databases, such as turn restrictions or road names may change over time.
GPS (Global Position System): The Clarion NX501 features a built-in SiRFprima GPS receiver and includes an external GPS antenna. The NX501 uses Global Position System (GPS) satellites, and a digital roadway map database to calculate and display vehicle positioning and travel direction. The NX501 considers vehicle speed an heading changes, together with longitude and latitude information, to accurately determine vehicle heading and position on a digital map. Signal from GPS satellites are used to determine the vehicle location. Three (good) or four (best) satellites must be receive to accurately determine location.
2D/3D Map (with 3D Landmarks): The Clarion NX501 allows you to view a detailed city map on its integrated monitor in 2D (two-dimensional) or 3D (three-dimensional). Similar to paper road maps, the 2D mode, shows you streets, roads, and elevation by color. In 3D mode, you can see the altitude and elevations differences. You can distinguish between valleys, mountains, and elevated roads. In selected cities 3D landmarks and 3D buildings are also displayed.
Color Theme: The navigation map uses different color themes (Day/Night) during the day and during the night for both the map and the menu screen. Daytime colors are similar to paper road maps, and the menus are bright. The nigh color themes use dark colors for large objects to keep the average brightness of the screen low. You can also set the navigation unit to switch between daytime and night color modes automatically based on the current time and GPS position.
Visual Guidance: The Clarion NX501's navigation map offers various visual functions to help you along your route.
- Turn Preview: When navigating a route, the top section of the map screen show information about the next route event (maneuver) and the next street or the next city.
- Smart Zoom: When approaching a turn, the map screen will zoom in and raise the view angle to let you easily recognize your maneuver at the next unction. If the next turn is at a distance, it will zoom out and lower the view angle to be flat so you can see the road in front of you.
- Lane Information: When navigation on multilane roads, it is important to take the appropriate lane in order to follow the recommended route. If lane information is available in the map data, the map screen will display the lanes and their directions using small arrows at the bottom of the map. High lighted arrows represent the lanes you need to take.
- Signposts: Where additional information is available, signposts substitute arrows. Signposts are displayed at the top of the map. The color and style of the signposts are similar to the real ones you can see above the road or by the roadside, They show the available destinations and the number of the road the lane leads to.
- Junction View: If you are approaching a freeway exit or a complex intersection and the needed information exists, the map is replaced with a 3D view of the junction. The lanes you need to take are displayed with arrows. Signposts can also be present, if information is available.
Audible Alerts: The Clarion NX501 offers various audible alerts and functions to help you get to your destination safely.
- Voice Guidance (Text-to-Speech): In addition to graphic directions, the NX501 provides voice guidance and turn-by-turn directions. You can select from English, French, Spanish, Korean, Japanese, and Chinese audible languages. The volume of the voice prompts can be increased with increases in speed to overcome road noise. Voice guidance can be turned off if you prefer.
- Safety Alert: This function can warn you when you approach road safety cameras, school zones, or railroad crossings (if available). You can also add your own alert points. Beeps or the spoken type of alert will be heard when you are approaching of these points.
- Speed Limit Warning: Some maps may contain information about the speed limits of certain road segments. The NX501 provides an audible warning if you exceed the recommended speed limit.
Where Am I?: This screen contains information about the current position (or approximately the last known position if GPS reception is not available) and a button to search for POIs nearby.
Find Menu: The Find Menu gives you many different ways to choose your destination or insert a waypoint in your current route. An on-screen keyboard appears to allow you to enter your destination from one of the following categories:
|Find on Map||Search for a destination by scrolling the map display|
|Home||Store and easily recall your home address|
|Find Address||Enter full/partial address, or Search for a city (central location), or Search for the intersection of two roads|
|Find Places||Search for over 15,000,000 points-of-interest (POIs) by name, phone #, or category; search near your current location, in a specific city, along your current route, or near your destination|
|Favorites||Store your favorite locations for easy recall|
|History||Destinations that you have set previously|
|Coordinates||Enter geographic coordinates (latitude & longitude)|
|Phone Number||Select a destination by entering phone #|
|Photo||Select locations from geotagged photo|
|Waypoints||You can add intermediate destinations along your main route|
Route Calculation: The Clarion NX501 calculates your route based on your Vehicle Type, Route Method, and Avoidances.
- Vehicle Type: You select what type of vehicle you are driving, so the navigation unit can determine the best route based on your vehicle type (Car, Emergency, Bus, or Taxi).
- Route Method: You can
choose which route method (Fastest, Shortest, Green, or Easy) the navigation
unit should use when calculating your route.
- Fastest: Give a quick route, if you can travel at or near the speed limit on all roads. Usually the best section for fast and normal cars.
- Shortest: Gives a route that has the smallest total distance of all possible routes. It can be practical for slow vehicles.
- Green: Gives a quick, but full efficient route based on the fuel consumption data you provide.
- Easy: Results in a route with fewer turns and no difficult maneuvers.
- Avoidances: You can tell the navigation unit to avoid certain types of roads along your calculated route, such as - Highways, Tolls, Carpool/HOV, Unpaved Roads, and/or Ferries.
Trip Logs: Trip logs contain useful information about your trip. Trip logs can be saved manually when you reach your destination or automatically along your route. Trip log data includes - Start/End Time, Avg./Max. Speed, Total/Driving/Stopped Time, Total Distance, and Min./Max. Altitude.
Automatic Route Recalculation: The unit will automatically recalculate your route if you stray from the navigation unit's previously calculated route.
Route Simulation: You can preview all the route information and simulate travel along a projected route.
Map Updates: You can download map updates (from clarion.naviextras.com) onto a USB thumbrive. Once you have downloaded the map update, simply insert the USB thumbdrive into the NX501's USB port to begin the map update process.
24-bit D/A Converter: The unit's 24-bit D/A converter re-quantizes the 16-bit audio signals from CDs and DVDs as 24-bit data while maintaining the low distortion and high linearity of a 1-bit D/A converter. This allows an expanded dynamic range and clearer reproduction of subtle nuances, for a richer sound when viewing DVDs or listening to CDs.
MOSFET Amplifier: The Clarion NX501 is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit.
CEA2006 Compliant: The power specifications for the NX501 are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers. The power output specs for the NX501 are as follows:
- CEA2006 Specs: 19 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (200 watts total)
6ch/4V RCA Output: The Clarion NX501 features 6ch/4V RCA line level outputs (Front/Rear/Sub). The non-fading subwoofer preamp output features an independent level control (0-14) and phase adjustment (normal/reverse).
Note: You can turn the NX501's built-in amplifier off to improve the quality of the sound from the head unit's preamp outputs.
Built-in Crossovers: The Clarion NX501 is equipped with built-in low-pass and high-pass crossovers.
- Low-Pass Subwoofer Filter: The Low-Pass Filter (LPF) for the subwoofer preamp output will send only the low frequency range through the preamp outputs to ensure superb performance with a connected subwoofer. The low-pass filter can be set to 62Hz, 95Hz, 135Hz, or Through (full-range).
- High-Pass Filter: The NX501 features a High-Pass Filter (HPF) for the unit's front & rear channels, via speaker-output or preamp-output. You can adjust the high-pass filter from 62Hz, 95Hz, 135Hz, or Through (full-range). The HPF prevents low bass notes from distorting your front & rear speakers. The high-pass filter setting effects both the front & rear channels of the head unit.
BeatEQ: In addition to providing 3 preset equalization patterns (Bass Boost, Impact, and Excite), Clarion's BeatEQ lets you freely customize the level and range of the bass, midrange and treble portions of each pattern. You can tune the sound to your liking, depending on the category of music, for a more fulfilling listening experience.
- Bass Boost: Bass is emphasized +/-3.
- Impact: Bass and treble are emphasized +/-3.
- Excite: Bass, midrange, and treble are emphasized +/-3.
- Custom: Adjusts the bass, midrange, and treble
- Bass: You can set the effected bass frequency to 50Hz, 100Hz, or 200Hz and the Q-factor to 0.7, 1, 1.4, or 2
- Midrange: You can set the effected midrange frequency to 500Hz, 1.0kHz, or 2.0kHz and the Q-factor to 0.7, 1, 1.4, or 2
- Treble: The effected treble frequency can be set to 5kHz, 10kHz, or 15kHz, and the Q-factor to 0.7, 1, 1.4, or 2
- Off (Flat): Bass, midrange, and treble are set to 0.
Magna Bass EX (Extend): The Magna Bass Extend feature does not adjust the low frequencies like the normal sound adjustment function, but emphasizes the deep bass frequencies to provide you with a dynamic sound. This circuit boosts bass at an ultra-low frequency of about 50Hz, creating a rich, deep, defined bass rather than the muddy, booming bass of a standard loudness control. What is more, boost levels are dependent on the system volume, resulting in balanced system response and dynamic bass reproduction.
AM/FM Tuner: The Clarion NX501 is equipped with a built-in AM/FM tuner. The NX501 offers Seek, Manual, and Preset tuning.
Preset Tuning: The NX501's built-in AM/FM tuner features 3 FM bands and 1 AM band. You can store up to 6 presets in each bands, allowing you to store 24 FM and 12 AM preset stations. You can manually store your favorite presets or have the NX501 automatically store the strongest stations for you.
Preset Scan: The Preset Scan receives the stations stored in the units' preset memory in order. The unit scans each station for 10 seconds sequentially. This function is useful when searching for the desired station in memory.
Local Seeking: When Local seeking is turned "On", only those radio stations with strong radio signal can be received.
HD Radio Ready: Connecting the optional Clarion THD400 HD Radio tuner (020THD400, sold separately) lets you enjoy listening to digitally broadcast radio programs with superior sound quality and text information (such as artist name and song titles or traffic news; viewable on the head unit's display). HD Radio technology, where available, offers higher quality sound than conventional analog broadcasts and receives text data. HD Radio provides FM broadcasts that are equal to CD sound quality and AM broadcasts that are as good as analog FM stereo broadcasts. HD Radio also provides a variety of data, including station name, song title, artist name, album name, etc. No subscription fees required.
Note: Right now there are about 2,000 radio stations broadcasting using digital HD Radio technology in the U.S. To find HD Radio stations in your area, visit the HD Radio website (HDRadio.com).
Satellite Radio Ready: There are several options for connecting an optional XM or SIRIUS Satellite Radio receiver to this receiver:
- Sirius Satellite Radio: To receive Sirius Satellite Radio, you can connect the optional SC-C1 Sirius Connect Universal Vehicle Tuner (607SCC1, sold separately) directly to the head unit's Sirius direct connection (no proprietary interface required). You can also connect the Sirius dock-and-play adapter (607SCVDOC1) along with a compatible portable Sirius radio (all sold separately).
- Auxiliary Input: A portable XM or Sirius Satellite Radio receiver can also be connected to the head unit via the front-panel 3.5mm AV input.
Note: A subscription is also required to receive satellite radio programming from Sirius or XM.
Disc Slot: The Clarion NX501 has a front-loading disc-slot to make loading your disc easier, because there is no panel to slide or fold-down.
Disc Compatibility: The NX501 can play back the following types of discs (12cm only):
- CD: CD-Audio, CD-Text, CD-R, CD-RW
- DVD: DVD-Video, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW
MP3/WMA Playback: This unit can play MP3 (32-192 kbps)/WMA (64-192 kbps) files recorded on CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, and DVD+RW discs in ISO 9660 Level 1 or 2 format. The player can recognize up to 8 hierarchical levels, 255 folders, 255 files per folder, and 512 total files. The head unit also supports ID3 Tag information (Ver. 1.0, 1.1, 2.3, 2.4) which will display the title, artist, and album information when recorded on the disc.
Electronic Skip Protection: The Clarion NX501 provides electronic skip protection for your CD-Audio discs (10-seconds), as well as your discs containing MP3 (45-seconds) and WMA (90-seconds) audio files.
Playback Operations: The Clarion NX501 offers the following DVD and CD playback operations -
- Track List: This function allows you to select audio tracks from a displayed list of tracks on a disc or within in a folder.
- Direct Search : You can locate the beginning of a movie scene using the time, chapter numbers, or title numbers recorded on a DVD video disc. You can also select a specific track on a music disc.
- Skip Search: Chapters or Tracks are skipped down or up from the current location, as many times as the key is pressed, and then playback starts.
- Fast Forward/Rewind : The NX501 offers a variable fast forward and rewind function. You can select between 2x, 4x, 8x, or 16x.
- Scan: The first 10 seconds of each music track on the disc is played.
- Repeat: This operation plays back chapters, titles, or tracks recorded on a disc repeatedly. You can also select A-B repeat in order to repeat a desired passage of video on DVD disc.
- Shuffle: This function allows you to randomly playback audio tracks or files recorded on a disc.
Switching Angles: On DVD disc in which video images have been recorded in two or more angle, you can switch among the angles during playback.
Parental Lock: You can set and change the level of parental lock. This function allows cutting scenes that are unfavorable for children or replacing them automatically with other scenes prepared in advance. There are 5 levels of parental lock that are protected by a custom user 4-digit password.
Off Eject: You can eject a disc with the unit off. You cannot insert a disc with the unit off.
Auto Reload: If a disc is left in the ejected position for 15 seconds, the disc is automatically reloaded.
Mounting Angle: For proper disc playback, you must install the unit within 30-degrees of horizontal.
USB Port: The Clarion navigation-multimedia head unit features a rear-panel USB port (attached via 42" pigtail) that allows you to connect and play USB Mass Storage devices loaded with MP3/WMA audio files and MPEG4 video files. This unit supports USB 2.0/1.1 Full-Speed and FAT12/16/32 file systems. The unit can recognize up to 8 hierarchical levels, 255 folders, 255 files per folder, and 512 total files.
- USB Audio: The navigation-multimedia head unit will support MP3 files with a bit rate of 32-192 kbps and WMA files with a bit rate of 64-192 kbps. The NX501 offers the following audio playback operations of your USB Mass Storage device - Play, Pause, Track selection, Fast-forward/backward, Scan play, Repeat play, Random play and Folder selection. The head unit also supports ID3 Tag information (Ver. 1.0, 1.1, 2.3, 2.4) which will display the title, artist, and album name, as well as album art when recorded to the USB device.
- USB Video: The Clarion NX501 also supports playback of MPEG4 videos recorded onto a compatible USB (MSC) device. The NX501 offers the following video playback operations of your USB Mass Storage device - Play, Pause, Track selection, Fast-forward/backward, Scan play, Repeat play, Random play and Folder selection.
Note: Files protected with any DRM cannot be played.
iPod/iPhone AV Playback: The Clarion NX501 navigation-multimedia head unit supports both audio/video playback from a compatible iPod or iPhone. Using your iPod or iPhone's USB/Dock cable you can enjoy audio playback of music, podcasts, and audiobooks stored on your iPod or iPhone. Using the optional Clarion CCA-748 iPod/iPhone connector cable (020CCA748, both sold separately), you can also enjoy video playback of movies, TV shows, video podcasts, and music videos stored on your iPod or iPhone. The Clarion CCA-748 iPod/iPhone connector cable plugs into the unit's rear-panel USB port and rear-panel AV input.
Note: Video can only be displayed while the vehicle is in park (with the parking brake engaged). "Audio Only" is displayed when the vehicle is moving.
iPod/iPhone DAC Bypass: Because the Clarion NX501 uses its USB connection for audio & control transfer, your iPod/iPhone's stored music is loaded instantly to the head unit and sound quality is maximized through the head unit's 24-bit D/A converter, allowing for a Signal-to-Noise ratio up to 120B.
iPod/iPhone Control: You can choose to control your iPod/iPhone from the NX501's touchscreen, or the iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen.
- Music Browsing: You can browse your iPod/iPhone's music library by Playlist, Artist, Song, Album, Genre, Composer, Audiobook, or Podcast. You can browse your iPod/iPhone's video content by Movie, Music Video, TV Show, Video Podcast, or Rental.
- ABC Search: Once you have selected a music or video category, you can search the particular category alphabetically (A-Z).
- Random & Repeat: The unit also supports Random (All/Off) and Repeat (Song/All/Off) functions for your iPod/iPhone.
iPod/iPhone Display: The navigation-multimedia head unit will display your iPod/iPhone's music file information, including - Track number, Folder number, Elapsed playing time, Song title, Artist name, Album label, and Album art.
iPod/iPhone Charging: The navigation-multimedia head unit's USB connection will power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone battery when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position.
Note: If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Clarion NX501 is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of November 2011):
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Song/Artist Text||Track Info|
| clickwheel |
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to revert to the older software version or wait until a newer software update is available.
Bluetooth Communication (by Parrot): The Clarion NX501 features built-in Bluetooth (ver.2.1+EDR), powered by Parrot, for wireless connection with Bluetooth enabled mobile phones, PDAs and MP3 Players. Parrot Bluetooth offers extremely comprehensive compatibility with a variety of mobile phones and devices. The NX501 supports Bluetooth profiles - HFP/HSP/OPP/PBAP for hands-free communication and A2DP/AVRCP for audio streaming.
- HFP/HSP/OPP/PBAP: Wireless hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone with phone book transfer.
- A2DP/AVRCP: Wireless stereo music streaming and remote control functions (start/play/stop/pause/volume/track search) from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone or audio player.
Pairing: Before using your Bluetooth enabled device, it must be paired to the NX501. You can register up to five Bluetooth enabled cell-phones with the Clarion in-dash head unit (only one paired phone can be used at a time). The Clarion NX501 is compatible with most Bluetooth enabled mobile phones, including the Apple iPhone.
Note: The Clarion NX501 is not compatible with all Bluetooth enabled phones or audio players. Visit Clarion Bluetooth Compatibility for complete list of compatible phones & players.
Hands-Free Communication (HFP/PBAP): The NX501 supports Bluetooth hands-free communication from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. The NX501 can be set to automatically answer your incoming calls and mute any music audio to your vehicle's speakers so you can instantly carry on a phone conversation hands-free. An integrated front-panel microphone carries on your side of the conversation while your car's speakers are used to hear the other person. You can make a call by entering the phone number, selecting a contact from your Phonebook list, or using the Call History Log of received/dialed/missed calls.
- Answering Calls: During an incoming call, the caller's phone number will be seen on the unit's touchscreen display and a ring-tone will be heard through your car stereo speakers. You can then manually answer the incoming call from the head unit's touchscreen. You can also set the unit to automatically answer an incoming call within 5 seconds.
- Making Calls: There are 3 ways to make an outgoing call
from the Clarion in-dash head unit.
- Direct Dial: Outgoing calls can be made be entering telephone numbers (0-9, *, #, +) directly via the unit's touchscreen.
- Phonebook: You can search for contact names in your mobile phone's phonebook from the Clarion NX501 and then make your call. The head unit can store up to 500 contact numbers.
- Call Log: You can also make a call by searching your mobile phone's call history (Received/Dialed/Missed) from the Clarion NX501.
Integrated Microphone: The Clarion NX501 features an integrated front-panel microphone to carry on your side of a conversation during a Bluetooth phone call. You can adjust the microphone gain (1-5) for each paired mobile phone device.
External Microphone (optional): The Clarion RCB-199 (020RCB199, sold separately) is an external microphone which can be connected to Clarion NX501. The RCB-199 external microphone provides better performance in noisy environments than the integrated microphone found on the front-panel of the head unit. The microphone features an attached 13.25' cord terminated by a right-angle male 3.5mm connector which plugs into the microphone input on the rear-chassis of your compatible Clarion head unit. The microphone also features an integrated sun-visor clip for mounting the external microphone in your vehicle. The integrated bracket allows the microphone to swivel left-to-right and rotate up-or-down.
Audio Streaming (A2DP/AVRCP): The Clarion NX501 supports Bluetooth wireless music streaming for transferring stereo music audio data that is processed as a steady and continuous audible stream from your Bluetooth enabled phone to the Clarion head unit and your car's audio system. You can listen to and control music stored on your Bluetooth enabled phone or MP3 player. The NX501 will also be able to control basic playback features such a Pause, Track Selection, Fast Forward, and Reverse.
Front and Rear AV Inputs: The Clarion NX501 is equipped with AV input terminals on the front and rear of the unit to enable enjoyment of content from an external connected source. The rear composite video/stereo RCA inputs are ideal for permanent installations, while the front AV mini-jack (3.5mm) input will come in handy for quick connection of a portable audio/visual source.
Audio/Video Output (with Dual Zone): The NX501 features a rear-panel composite video/stereo RCA audio output that allows you to connect an external display and headphone system in the rear of your vehicle. You can playback audio/video content from a DVD/CD disc, iPod/iPhone, or AV Input on a rear-seat monitor system; while viewing a different audio/video source on the navigation-multimedia head unit.
Camera Input: The Camera Input consists of a Composite video RCA jack for connecting an optional rear-view back-up camera. This RCA input enables you to connect a rear-view camera to display the area behind your vehicle. The increased view encourages and facilitates safer driving. When an optional rearview camera is connected to this unit, the rear view image is displayed on the screen when your vehicle is placed in reverse gear (purple/white wire of harness must be connected to reverse light wire of vehicle).
Wireless Remote Control: In addition to the unit's touchscreen and hard-key controls, the NX501 comes supplied with an IR remote control for wireless operation of the navigation-multimedia receiver and your connected devices. The remote control operates off of a single CR2025 Lithium-cell 3V battery (included).
OEM Remote Ready: The unit also features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit to allow you to keep your vehicle's radio steering wheel remote controls when used with the optional PAC SWI-RC Steering Wheel Control Interface Adapter (541SWIRC, sold separately); or the optional Metra ASWC Steering Wheel Control Interface Adapter (120ASWC, sold separately).
Note: Please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to see if your vehicle is compatible.
The Clarion NX501 replaces these items