About the Clarion NX603
Convenient cloud connection
Convenient cloud connection
Clarion's NX603 navigation receiver does much more than provide directions, play media, and let you access your phone on the go — it also puts you in touch with a wealth of road-friendly apps through Clarion's Smart Access platform, which utilizes the cloud to keep you in touch with the world outside. All you need is a smartphone and the Smart Access app to enjoy real-time connectivity to social media, news, your calendar, and more.
The Smart Access app is your key
When you download Clarion's free Smart Access app to your phone, you'll have access to several apps that work within the Smart Access ecosystem. Connect your phone to the NX603, and you'll get fingertip control over those apps through the receiver's screen. You can employ Smart Access through your iPhone® 4 or 4S using an optional Clarion cable, or take advantage of Smart Access through your Android™ phone with an optional HDMI cable or micro-HDMI cable.
Apps for social media, streaming audio, GPS navigation, traffic, and more are currently available (see below), and most require no additional charges to use them. As more apps are added to the Smart Access platform, Clarion automatically updates the Smart Access app, so you'll gain more functionality without having to do anything. And you can choose which apps you see on the receiver's main menu screen, for easy access on the go.
Apps for everyday use
Apps you can currently use through Smart Access and the NX603 include:
• Social media like Facebook and Twitter (iPhone® only)
• Traffic by INRIX and Waze
• Internet radio: Pandora® (iPhone only), iHeartRadio, and TuneIn Radio
• Personal: email, calendar, news, and weather
The NX603 also works with MirrorLink™, which is available for select smartphones and allows the stereo to "mirror" your smartphone's display in a safe manner — see our article on MirrorLink for more info.
Impressive, intuitive navigation
The Clarion NX603 navigation receiver offers an easy-to-use 6.2" display. The touchscreen works like most modern smartphones, with pinch-to-zoom capability so you can see things more clearly. You can also “flick” your way through the menu screens to find the operation you need quickly. The built-in GPS system covers all 50 states plus Canada, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico, and offers more than 11 million points of interest. Plus you'll get 3D landmarks and buildings in select cities, speed limit warnings, lane guidance, and realistic views of some complicated intersections.
Bluetooth® connectivity and beyond
The Clarion NX603 plays both CDs and DVDs, and offers Bluetooth for hands-free calling and wireless music streaming through your compatible phone. You can also add music sources through the front auxiliary input or microSD™ card slot, and even enjoy SiriusXM satellite radio programming with an optional tuner and a subscription.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most vehicles, you can use an adapter to connect your vehicle's steering wheel controls to this Clarion stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and the Clarion, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. Check the "Accessories" tab for compatible adapters.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
- DVD/CD receiver with 6.2" touchscreen and AM/FM tuner
- fits double-DIN (4" tall) dash openings
- internal amp (18 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 watts peak x 4 channels)
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- maps of the United States, Canada, Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico, plus over 11 million points of interest
- lane guidance and junction view
- 3D representations of landmarks and buildings
- iPhone: Smart Access connectivity to control smartphone apps for social media, traffic, Internet radio, and personal email/calendar/news feeds
- Android: Smart Access smartphone app connectivity through HDMI connection, plus MirrorLink compatibility with select phones (app required)
- iPod: optional Clarion adapter required for full access to audio/video content (no video from iPhone 5)
- plays CDs, DVDs, microSD cards, and USB memory devices (see Details for full capabilities)
- 24-bit digital-to-analog converter
- 6-band graphic EQ with 6 tone presets
- "Intelligent Tune" audio enhancements
- compatible with SXV200 SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- inputs: rear USB input, two A/V inputs (front, rear), HDMI input
- outputs: composite video output (rear), 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
What's in the box:
- Navigation receiver (w/ 6.2" touchscreen monitor)
- 4GB microSD Map card (pre-installed)
- Sleeve (installed)
- Trim ring
- Wiring harness
- Preamp harness
- AV In/Out harness
- GPS antenna (w/ attached 8.25' cable)
- 5' USB extension cable
- 8 Counter-sunk ISO screws
- 8 Hex-head ISO screws
- 3 Self-adhesive wire clamps
- 3M tape
- 10 RCA end-caps
- Owner's Manual on CD-ROM
- Quick Start Guide/Installation Manual (En/Fr/Sp)
- Warranty Card (US/Canada)
- 2 "Notice of Correction" sheets
- Addendum Sheet
Clarion NX603 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Clarion NX603
Features & specs
|AUX Input||3.5mm AV (front)|
|Audio/video Input||3.5mm(f), RCA(r), HDMI(r)|
|Backup Camera Input||Optional|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Memory Card Slot||USB, microSD/SDHC|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||18 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||8 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA|
6.2" Touchscreen TFT Display: The Clarion NX603 has an integrated 6.2" TFT widescreen display with touchscreen controls. The display provides a high-resolution video monitor for watching your DVD videos. The screen has a resolution of 800 x 480 (RGB) and 1,152,000 total pixels. The unit's touchscreen panel features interactive controls making menu navigation easy.
- Touchscreen GUI w/ Flick & Gesture Control: The GUI (Graphical User Interface) shows large icons that are highly visible and easily recognizable at a glance. The NX603 touchscreen responds to your finger gestures just as your smartphone screen would. You are able to drag & drop icons into different positions to customize the screen. The touchscreen also supports flick operation, so you can quickly scroll to another menu page. In addition to flick operation, gesture control provides two-finger pinch zoom. Slide your fingers further apart to zoom in, and slide the fingers closer together to zoom out.
- Short Cut Menu: The unit has a main menu for using all functions and a shortcut menu that groups together frequently used functions. Use of the shortcut menu allows you to quickly access frequently used functions Up to five frequently used functions can be registered to the shortcut menu.
- Dimmer & Brightness Control: The receiver's display automatically dims to a preset brightness when the vehicle's headlights are turned on. The wiring harness includes an orange/white lead that should be connected to the vehicle's parking light circuit in order for the dimmer feature to operate. You can also manually adjust the unit's Day & Night display brightness from 0-32.
- Variable Button Illumination (728 colors): Since the vast majority of functions are controllable from the touchscreen, there are only four physical buttons (including a rotary dial) on the unit for the most basic and commonly-used functions. You can set the head unit's button illumination to 1 of 9 preset colors or have the unit scan through all the preset colors. You can also select three custom user colors by adjusting red, green, and blue values.
Start Up Time: The NX603 has a start up time of approximately 22.7 seconds from Off to an audio/video source screen; and another 8.7 seconds to the map screen for a total start up time of approximately 31.4 seconds from Off to the navigation map screen.
Parking Brake Detection: To prevent the displaying of video while the vehicle is in motion, the bright green wire in the supplied 18-pin harness must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. While the vehicle is in motion (parking brake off), you can still view all of the other displays and menus. Video can only displayed when the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
Anti-Theft Code: You may program the unit with a 4 digit security code. Once the unit has been programmed with a security code, the code must be entered to use the unit after it has been disconnected from power.
2-DIN Chassis: The Clarion NX6023 has a 2-DIN chassis (also known as "Double-DIN"), and will fit in many vehicles with a large dash opening. The unit can be ISO-mounted using your vehicle's factory radio brackets and the supplied hardware. There is also an optional custom double-DIN sleeve (0202DBKT, sold separately) available for this unit that will allow you to mount the NX603 in a custom 4" opening. As always, please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to verify fit with your vehicle.
Navigation Mapping Software: The integrated map database (by TomTom) used by the Clarion NX603 was created using high-resolution aerial and land based data collection. Navigation data is stored on the unit's integrated flash memory for quicker access and response. The NX603 provides map coverage of the United States (all 50 states), Canada, Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico. The NX603's integrated Clarion Mobile Map navigation software provides turn-by-turn visual and voice assistance to direct you to your selected destination. The built-in software quickly calculates step-by-step directions to any destination available on the included navigation map.
Note: Car navigation maps are frequently updated. While this database was judged to be as accurate as possible at the time of its release, a map database can never be 100% accurate. Road information that is maintained in the map databases, such as turn restrictions or road names may change over time.
Map Updates: It is easy to keep the navigation system up to date. Simply download new map data from Clarion's portal site (clarion.naviextras.com), store the updated map data on a microSD card and insert it into the Clarion NX603 via the front-panel microSD card slot. You have 30 days from purchase to download the latest available map free of charge.
GPS (Global Position System): Clarion's built-in navigation helps you find your way to your destination with an integrated GPS receiver & external GPS antenna. The Clarion NX603 features a built-in SiRF GPS receiver and includes a GPS antenna which can be mounted on the dash with the included 3M tape. The NX603 uses Global Position System (GPS) satellites, and a digital roadway map database to calculate and display vehicle positioning and travel direction. The NX603 considers vehicle speed an heading changes, together with longitude and latitude information, to accurately determine vehicle heading and position on a digital map. Signal from GPS satellites are used to determine the vehicle location. Three (good) or four (best) satellites must be receive to accurately determine location. This unit does not transmit your GPS position, so others cannot track you.
On-Screen Map: The unit's on-screen map shows your vehicle's current position (a red arrow by default), the recommended route (an magenta line), the surrounding map area, and your destination as a checkered flag. The on-screen map shows streets, roads, and highways in a way that is similar to how a paper road map show them. A road's width and colors corresponds to their importance, so you can easily tell a freeway from a small street. When navigating a route, the top section of the map screen shows information about your next route maneuver and the next street or the next city/town. When approaching a turn, the map screen will zoom in and raise the view angle to let you easily recognize your maneuver at the next junction. If the next turn is at a distance, it will zoom out and lower the view angle to be flat so you can see the road in front of you. The map also displays data; such as the posted speed limit, your current speed, current time, distance to your destination, time left before you reach your destination, and your arrival time.
- 2D/3D Map Mode: The Clarion NX603 allows you to view its on-screen map in a 2D (two-dimensional) or 3D (three-dimensional) view. Similar to paper road maps, the 2D mode, shows you streets, roads, and elevation by color. In 3D mode, you can see the altitude and elevations differences. You can distinguish between valleys, mountains, and elevated roads. In selected cities 3D landmarks and 3D buildings are also displayed.
- Color Mode: The navigation map screen uses different color themes (Day/Night) during the day and during the night for both the map and the menu screen. Daytime colors are similar to paper road maps, and the menus are bright. The nigh color themes use dark colors for large objects to keep the average brightness of the screen low. You can also set the navigation unit to switch between daytime and night color modes automatically based on the current time and GPS position.
Lane Information & Signposts: The Clarion NX603's navigation map offers helpful lane information & signpost guidance.
- Lane Information: When navigation on multilane roads, it is important to take the appropriate lane in order to follow the recommended route. If lane information is available in the map data, the map screen will display the lanes and their directions using small arrows at the bottom of the map. High lighted arrows represent the lanes you need to take.
- Signposts: Where additional information is available, signposts substitute arrows. Signposts are displayed at the top of the map. The color and style of the signposts are similar to the real ones you can see above the road or by the roadside, They show the available destinations and the number of the road the lane leads to.
- Exit Services: While navigation a route, you can find gas, food, lodging, and restrooms near upcoming exits. Services are listed under the following categories - Gas, Food, Lodging, and Restrooms. You must be on a major highway or road to use this feature.
- Junction View: If you are approaching a freeway exit or a complex intersection and the needed information exists, the map is replaced with a 3D view of the junction. The lanes you need to take are displayed with arrows. Signposts can also be present, if information is available.
- Tunnel View: When entering a tunnel, the map is replaced with a generic tunnel image so that surface roads and buildings cannot distract you.
Audible Alerts: The Clarion NX603 offers various audible alerts and functions to help you get to your destination safely.
- Voice Guidance: In addition to graphic directions, the NX603 provides voice guidance and turn-by-turn directions. You can select from English, French, Spanish, Korean, Japanese, and Chinese audible languages. The volume of the voice prompts can be increased with increases in speed to overcome road noise. Voice guidance can be turned off if you prefer.
- Safety Alert: This function can warn you when you approach road safety cameras, school zones, or railroad crossings (if available). You can also add your own alert points. Beeps or the spoken type of alert will be heard when you are approaching of these points.
- Speed Limit Warning: Some maps may contain information about the speed limits of certain road segments. The NX603 provides an audible warning if you exceed the recommended speed limit.
Note: While navigating, other sources may be selected and listened to; such as AM/FM Tuner, CD, Smart Access Apps, USB, iPod, & Bluetooth. The unit will mute the audio of the other source during navigation voice-prompts.
Where Am I?: This screen contains information about the current position (or approximately the last known position if GPS reception is not available) and a button to search for POIs nearby.
Find Menu: The Find Menu gives you many different ways to choose your destination or insert a waypoint in your current route. An on-screen keyboard appears to allow you to enter your destination from one of the following categories:
|Find on Map||Search for a destination by scrolling the map display.|
|Home||Store and easily recall your home address.|
|Find Address||Enter full/partial address, or search for a city (central location), or search for the intersection of two roads.|
|Find Places||Search for over 11,000,000 points-of-interest (POIs) by name, phone #, or category; search near your current location, in a specific city, along your current route, or near your destination.|
|Favorites||Store your favorite locations for easy recall.|
|History||Destinations that you have set previously|
|Coordinates||Enter geographic coordinates (latitude & longitude).|
|Phone Number||Select a destination by entering phone #.|
|Photo||Select locations from geotagged JPEG photos from an inserted USB or microSD/SDHC memory device.|
|Waypoints||You can add intermediate destinations along your main route.|
Route Calculation: The Clarion NX603 calculates your route based on your Vehicle Type, Route Method, and Avoidances.
- Vehicle Type: You select what type of vehicle you are driving, so the navigation unit can determine the best route based on your vehicle type (Car, Truck, Emergency, Bus, or Taxi).
- Route Method: You can
choose which route method (Fastest, Shortest, Green, Economical, or Easy) the navigation
unit should use when calculating your route.
- Fastest: give a quick route, if you can travel at or near the speed limit on all roads. Usually the best section for fast and normal cars
- Shortest: gives a route that has the smallest total distance of all possible routes. It can be practical for slow vehicles
- Green: gives a quick, but full efficient route based on the fuel consumption data you provide
- Economical: combines the benefits of Fast and Short; calculates as if it were calculating the Fast route, but it takes other roads as well to save fuel
- Easy: results in a route with fewer turns and no difficult maneuvers
- Avoidances: You can tell the navigation unit to avoid certain types of roads along your calculated route, such as - Highways, Tolls, Carpool/HOV, Unpaved Roads, and/or Ferries.
Note: You can select "Route Alternative" to see the turn-list and map screen of three routes with the selected route planning parameters, giving you the option to select which route to take.
Vehicle Profile: You can create a vehicle profile for your car, truck, or SUV. Enter the following parameters for your vehicle - Fuel Consumption (avg. fuel consumption of your vehicle in city and rural areas), Engine Type (engine and fuel type), Fuel Price (avg. fuel price for travel cost calculation), Max Speed (max speed you travel), Weight, and Dimensions (length x width x height).
My Route: "My Route" displays the route parameters and the calculated route in its full length on the map. You can also perform route-related actions such as editing or canceling your route, setting a start point for the route, picking route alternatives, avoiding parts of the route, simulating navigation or adding the destination to your Favorites.
Modifying A Route: When navigation is already started, there are several ways to modify the active route. You can edit the route by modifying the list of destinations and waypoints. You can add or remove destinations (waypoints), modify the start position or reorder the list. You'll be able to create a brand new route, add intermediate destinations (waypoints), and modify the final destination. Or, you can simply cancel your active route.
Trip Monitor: The Trip Monitor contains useful information about your trip. This information can be saved manually when you reach your destination or automatically along your route. Trip log data includes; Start/End Time, Avg./Max. Speed, Total/Driving/Stopped Time, Total Distance, and Min./Max. Altitude.
Automatic Route Recalculation: The unit will automatically recalculate your route if you stray from the navigation unit's previously calculated route.
Off-Road Navigation: The difference between the on-road and off-road modes is the navigation itself. When you are on the Map screen with an off-road route, your position and heading is not aligned with the nearest road and there is no turn by turn navigation; just a recommended direction. You see a straight line drawn between your current position and the next destination to reach. The Turn Preview field in the top left corner shows an arrow with your bearing and the distance of the next destination.
Quick Menu: The Quick Menu is a selection of controls and functions that are frequently needed during navigation. It can be opened directly from the Map screen by tapping Quick Menu icon. You can customize which controls and functions are accessible through the Quick Menu.
Calculator & Unit Converter: The calculator allows you to perform simple arithmetic. The Unit Converter converts distance, speed, area, currency, temperature, volume, and weight.
Smart Access Network: The Smart Access network service enables you to access a variety of on-line music, news, weather, navigation, and social media services in your vehicle through the Clarion NX603, your iPhone 4/4S or Android smartphone, and the Cloud; all from an easy-to-use touchscreen interface optimized for in-vehicle use. This contributes to safer driving while you access all your important information and entertainment. Compatible Smart Access applications are constantly updated, so you always have access to the latest and most relevant information available in your car.
iPhone & Android Compatible: Before you start using the Smart Access network service, you must download the Smart Access App from the iTunes App Store or the Google Play Store onto your iPhone 4/4S (iOS 5.0+) or Android smartphone (4.0+). Your iPhone will need to be connected to the NX603 via Clarion's proprietary CCA-750 iPod video cable (standard dock cable will not work). Your Android smartphone must be connected to the NX603 via Clarion's CCA771 HDMI-to-microHDMI cable (020CCA771, sold separately) or Clarion's CCA770 HDMI cable (020CCA770, sold separately) and a 3rd party MHL adapter (also sold separately); based on your model Android smartphone. Android smartphones must also be paired to the NX603 via Bluetooth. Click here for further explanation of iPhone/Android compatibility and connection.
Note: The Smart Access application is not compatible with the new iPhone 5/5C/5S with Lightning-connector. Bluetooth audio streaming for Android is disabled in order to link the NX603 with your compatible Android smartphone and the Smart Access app. To reestablish Bluetooth audio streaming, you will need to go into the NX603's menu and disconnect Smart Access (both features cannot be used at the same time).
Touchscreen + Voice Control: Once you have the Smart Access app downloaded to your iPhone 4/4S or Android smartphone, you can access a variety of entertainment, news, weather, and social media apps from the NX603's touchscreen. Each application can be operated from the head unit's touchscreen as if you were operating it from your smartphone. Social Media apps (like Facebook & Twitter) even offer speech-to-text for your own posts and tweets, and text-to-speech for hearing your friends' posts & tweets.
Variety of Apps: The Smart Access network service contains various applications; such as iHeartRadio, TuneIn Radio Prod, Waze, MotionX-GPS Drive, INRIX Traffic, Facebook, Twitter, News, Weather, and Calendar. In addition to the Smart Access app, you will need to download each individual application onto your iPhone 4/4S or compatible Android smartphone. You will also need to login to each app from the smartphone device before you can access it through the NX603's touchscreen. Any subscription fees will also need to be paid and up-to-date.
Note: Your iPhone or Android smartphone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. Access to the Smart Access online services will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your smartphone to connect to the Internet.
Music Apps (iPhone only): The Smart Access Cloud service offers two music applications for your iPhone 4/4S.
- iHeart Radio: The iHeartRadio app lets you listen to more than 1,500 Live Stations from coast-to-coast or create your own artist- or track-based Custom Stations. Use popular features like iHeartRadio's Discovery Tuner and "Thumbs Up" and "Thumbs Down" functionality to fine-tune your Custom Station playlists.
- TuneIn Radio Pro: With the TuneIn Internet Radio Pro app ($6.99) installed on your iPhone, you'll have access to a vast array of radio programs, from news and talk to music from around the world. Browse and listen to live, local, and global radio.
Navigation Apps (iPhone only): Smart Access provides a variety of navigation applications (for iPhone 4/4S) to help you along on your commute to work or vacation travel.
- Waze: Waze is a fun, community-based traffic & navigation app, 30 million strong. Join forces with other drivers nearby to outsmart traffic, save time & gas money, and improve everyone's daily commute. With community-generated real-time traffic, you'll always get the best route to your destination.
- MotionX-GPS Drive: The MotionX-GPS Drive App ($0.99) puts traffic, directions, and navigation options at your fingertips. MotionX-GPS Drive allows you to receive turn-by-turn directions using custom voice instructions. The app is easy to navigate and saves your favorite locations for easy access. This navigation app requires a $24.99 one time fee for the maps to display on-screen, and a one year $9.99 subscription for Voice Guidance feature.
- INRIX Traffic (Real-Time Traffic): The INRIX Traffic app ($24.95 lifetime subscription) helps you avoid traffic jams and reach your destination faster. Offers real-time alerts, traffic forecasting and information about accidents, police, etc. along your route.
Facebook & Twitter (iPhone only): Smart Access safely brings social networking into your car through your iPhone 4/4S and the Clarion NX603 navigation receiver. When your iPhone 4/4S is connected to the NX603 in the vehicle, you can update your status, check-in, and reply to Facebook posts & Tweets on the go via voice recognition with Nuance's Vlingo support. Text-to-speech allows you to hear friends' posts & tweets, as well as interface with the social media sites easily via the 6.2" display; all while keeping your hands on the wheel. Facebook & Twitters apps will need to be individually downloaded onto your iPhone 4/4S.
DriveSuite4car Utility App (for iPhone & Android): The Smart Access network service incorporates Car DriveSuite4car, a utility application (for iPhone & Android) which allows you to access helpful information in a vehicle. DriveSuite4car enables the user to have more within their reach including VL(Voice Launcher), News, Weather, Calendar and Contacts. These apps offer more ways to make the most efficient use of your time while on the go. You will need to download this app separately from the Smart Access app onto your compatible iPhone or Android smartphone.
- News Application: Keep up to date while cruising down the road. You can listen to news feeds from the news app on your iPhone 4/4S or Android smartphone. You can listen to the headlines only or to the full articles and you can personalize which news feeds to want to receive.
- Weather Application: Keep up with the weather as you go. Access the weather app on your iPhone 4/4S or Android smartphone to check out local and regional weather conditions, satellite maps, weather forecasts and warnings, right at your dash.
- Calendar Application: Calendar is an app that allows easy checking of your schedule while in your car from the Clarion NX603 navigation receiver. With Calendar, you can sync your Google Calendar from your iPhone 4/4S or Android smartphone for a full understanding of your schedule.
DashCommand (iPhone only): The DashCommand app ($49.99) lets you receive real-time feedback on vehicle performance including fuel economy, horsepower and torque, g-force measurements, and even can be used as a scan tool to read and clear OBD-II trouble codes that trigger the "check engine" light (OBD-II hardware sold separately from Palmer Performance Engineering).
Bluetooth Technology: The Clarion NX603 is equipped with built-in Bluetooth (ver. 2.1+EDR), allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.5 (Hands Free Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile), OPP 1.0 (Object Push Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.2 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.4 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Clarion NX603. Visit Clarion Bluetooth Support for complete list of compatible phones and players.
Pairing: Before using your Bluetooth enabled device, it must be paired to the NZ503. You can register up to five Bluetooth enabled cell-phones with the Clarion in-dash head unit (only one paired phone can be used at a time). Pairing can only be done while the vehicle is in park. When a paired Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically connects the two units.
Hands-Free Communication: The NX603 supports Bluetooth hands-free communication from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. The NX603 can be set to automatically answer your incoming calls and mute any music audio to your vehicle's speakers so you can instantly carry on a phone conversation hands-free. An integrated front-panel microphone carries on your side of the conversation while your car's speakers are used to hear the other person. You can make a call by entering the phone number, selecting a contact from your Phonebook list, or using the Call History Log of received/dialed/missed calls.
- Answering A Call: During an incoming call, the caller's phone number will be seen on the unit's LCD and a ring-tone will be heard through your car stereo speakers. You can then manually answer the incoming call from the head unit's front-panel controls. You can also set the unit to automatically answer an incoming call within 5 seconds.
- Making A Call: You can make a call using the Clarion
in-dash head unit's front-panel controls.
- Direct Dial: Outgoing calls can be made by entering telephone numbers (0-9, *, #, +) directly via the head unit's touchscreen. You cannot manually enter a phone number while the vehicle is in motion; the vehicle's parking brake must be engaged.
- Phonebook: You can search for contact names in your mobile phone's phonebook from the Clarion NX603 and then make your call. The head unit can store up to 500 contact numbers.
- Call Log: You can also make a call by searching your mobile phone's call history (Received/Dialed/Missed) from the Clarion NX603.
- Redial: You can simply redial the last number dialed with a press of a single button on the in-dash head unit.
Note: The Clarion RCB-199 (020RCB199, sold separately) is an external microphone which can be added to the Clarion NX603. The RCB-199 external microphone provides better performance in noisy environments than the integrated microphone found on the front-panel of the head unit.
Wireless Audio Streaming (w/ Metadata Display): The Clarion NX603 also supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth enabled audio player or smartphone. The NX603 will be able to control basic playback functions of your Bluetooth device's stored music; such as Play/Pause, Skip Next/Previous, Fast Forward/Rewind, and Random/Repeat. The head unit will also display your stored music's song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title. The NX603 also supports audio streaming of music apps downloaded on your smartphone with metadata display and limited control. Advanced music control of your music apps will still need be done via your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone. When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
iPod Audio/Video Playback: The Clarion NX603 supports direct connection of your 30-pin or Lightning-connector through its rear-panel USB port and rear-panel AV input. The NX603 offers audio/video playback, music navigation, information display, and charging of select Apple devices. The Clarion NX603's USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's music library to be loaded instantly to the Clarion receiver and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 24-bit D/A converter (bypassing iPod/iPhone DAC), allowing for a Signal to Noise ratio up to 80dB.
- 30-Pin Dock Connector: Using Clarion's proprietary CCA-750 iPod/iPhone Video cable (020CCA750, sold separately), you can enjoy audio playback of your stored music on your iPod/iPhone and music apps on your iPhone; plus video playback of your stored movies on your iPod/iPhone and video apps on your iPhone through the Clarion NX603. Video can only be displayed when the vehicle's parking brake engaged. If you only desire audio playback, you can simply use the dock connector-to-USB cable that comes with your Apple device to connect your iPod/iPhone to the NX603.
- Lightning Connector: If you have a newer iPod/iPhone with the Lightning-connector, you can use the Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device to connect your iPod/iPhone to the Clarion NX603 for audio playback only. You will be able to listen to stored music on your iPod/iPhone device, plus music apps on your iPhone device. Video playback is not supported.
Note: Access to your iPhone's downloaded applications will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet.
Content Browsing: The Clarion NX603 allows you to browse your iPod/iPhone's music library by Playlist, Artist, Song, Album, Genre, Composer, Audiobook, or Podcast from its touchscreen monitor. You can also browse your iPod/iPhone's video content by Movie, Music Video, TV Show, Video Podcast, or Rental. Content in each category is listed alphabetically. The head unit also supports Repeat/Random playback functions of your connected iPod/iPhone. In addition, you can control basic playback functions (such as Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track) of your favorite music apps streamed to your iPhone. Most iPod/iPhone device's clickwheel or touchscreen will be locked during connection (Apple devices w/ iOS 6.0+ will stay unlocked).
Music Information + Album Art: When in Head Unit Control mode, the navigation receiver will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music file information; including Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song Title, Artist/Album Name, and Album Art. The NX603 will also display song/artist information and station identification from select music apps. The Simple Control mode does not offer song/artist information display.
1A Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. This unit does not charge the iPad. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then this unit will not recognize it.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Clarion NX603 is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 10/29/2013):
Apple Device Generation Tested Version Media Type Control Type Display Type Bluetooth Charge Audio Video Head Unit iPod/iPhone Smart Access Pandora App Album Art Song/Artist Text Track Info Phone Audio iPhone 2G 3.1.3 Y Y Y N N N Y Y Y Y N Y 3G 4.2.1 Y Y Y N N N Y Y Y Y Y Y 3GS 5.1.1 Y Y Y N N Y Y Y Y Y Y Y 4 7.0.3 Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y 4S 7.0.3 Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y 5 7.0.3 Y N Y Y N Y Y Y Y Y Y Y 5C 7.0.3 Y N Y Y N Y Y Y Y Y Y Y 5S 7.0.3 Y N Y Y N Y Y Y Y Y Y Y touch 1st 2.2.1 Y Y Y N N N Y Y Y N N Y 2nd 4.2.1 Y Y Y N N N Y Y Y N Y Y 3rd 5.1.1 Y Y Y N N N Y Y Y N Y Y 4th 6.1.3 Y Y Y Y N N Y Y Y N Y Y 5th 7.0.3 Y N Y Y N N Y Y Y N Y Y nano 1st 1.3.1 Y N Y N N N Y Y Y N N Y 2nd 1.1.3 Y N Y N N N Y Y Y N N Y 3rd 1.1.3 Y Y Y N N N Y Y Y N N Y 4th 1.0.4 Y Y Y N N N Y Y Y N N Y 5th 1.0.2 Y Y Y N N N Y Y Y N N Y 6th 1.2 PC Y N Y N N N Y Y Y N N Y 7th 1.02 PC Y N Y N N N Y Y Y N Y Y classic 80GB 1.1.2 Y Y Y N N N Y Y Y N N Y 120GB 2.0.1 Y Y Y N N N Y Y Y N N Y 160GB 2.0.4 Y Y Y N N N Y Y Y N N Y video 5th 1.3 Y Y Y N N N Y Y Y N N Y iPad 1 5.1.1 Y Y Y N N Y Y Y Y N Y N 2 7.0.3 Y Y Y Y N Y Y Y Y N Y N 3 7.0.3 Y Y Y Y N Y Y Y Y N Y N 4 7.0.3 Y N Y Y N Y Y Y Y N Y N mini 7.0.3 Y N Y Y N Y Y Y Y N Y Y
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
AM/FM Tuner: The Clarion NX603 is equipped with a built-in AM/FM tuner. The NX603 offers Seek, Manual, and Preset tuning. The NX603's built-in AM/FM tuner features 3 FM bands and 1 AM band. You can store up to 6 presets in each bands, allowing you to store 18 FM and 6 AM preset stations. You can manually store your favorite presets or have the NX603 automatically store the strongest stations for you.
Pandora App: The Pandora App (free) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Clarion NX603 using your USB-connected Apple iPhone, via the cable supplied with your iPhone. The Clarion NX603 provides control over the Pandora music service and displays Artist, Album, and Song information; as well as Album Art. You can select Pandora stations from your station list and sort them by date or alphabetically (A-Z). Or, you can create a new station from the current playing artist or song. You can also skip song tracks within a station. You can even give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down, as well as bookmark songs and artists. To access Pandora you must have an Apple iPhone (iOS 5.0 or later) with the latest version of the Pandora application from Apple's iTunes App Store. Your iPhone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. You will also need a Pandora music service account.
Note: Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
SiriusXM Ready: The Clarion NX603 comes ready for SiriusXM programming with access to XM & Sirius Satellite Radio stations. Thanks to its proprietary SiriusXM Connect port, you can add the optional SXV200V1 SiriusXM Connect tuner and receive more than 150 channels of exclusive programming directly from SiriusXM, via the "SiriusXM All Access" package (subscription required). Visit SiriusXM.com for a complete list of subscription options & channel guide. Additional features of the SXV200 SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's display
- Category Search feature lets you search for channels within a certain genre or category
- Up to 30 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets
- Channels containing content unsuitable for children can be blocked
Note: SiriusXM Satellite Radio operates on the XM Network. However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
Disc Compatibility: The Clarion NX603 has a front-loading disc-slot to make loading your disc easier. The NX603 supports playback of DVD-Video, DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW, CD-Audio, CD-Text, and CD-R/RW discs.
MicroSD Card Slot: The NX603 is fitted with a front-panel microSD card slot for playback of music files stored on a microSD/SDHC card. The unit is not compatible with microSDXC cards over 32 GB.
USB Port: The Clarion navigation head unit features a rear-panel USB type-A port (attached to rear chassis by 42" cable) that allows you to connect a portable USB mass-storage class (MSC) device; such as select Android devices (Froyo/Gingerbread 2.2+ OS only), digital audio players, and thumbdrives. USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the DVD receiver's USB port (5V/1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Compatible Media Files: The Clarion NX603 supports the following types of music and movie files recorded onto a disc, loaded onto a USB mass storage class device, or stored on a microSD/SDHC memory card.
|Media Type||Disc (CD-R/RW or DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW)||USB (MSC) + microSD/SDHC|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2||FAT 16/32|
|Playable File Types||Audio||MP3:
bit rate of 16-320kbps w/ sampling rates of 8-48kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 32-192kbps w/ sampling rates of 22.05-48kHz
|Video||DivX: 32 x 32 to 720 x 480 (30fps) or 32 x 32 to 720 x 576 (25fps)||N/A|
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||255 folders/512 files (255 files per folder)||512 folders/8,000 files (255 files per folder)|
|Tags||MP3 ID3-tags (ver. 1.0/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA-tags|
Playback Operations: The Clarion NX603 offers the following playback & search functions for disc, USB, and microSD/SDHC:
- Track List: This function allows you to select audio tracks from a displayed list of tracks on a disc or within in a folder.
- Direct Search : You can locate the beginning of a movie scene using the time, chapter numbers, or title numbers recorded on a DVD video disc. You can also select a specific MP3/WMA track from a disc, USB device, or microSD/SDHC.
- Skip Search: Chapters or Tracks are skipped down or up from the current location, as many times as the key is pressed, and then playback starts.
- Fast Forward/Rewind : The NX603 offers a variable fast forward and rewind function. You can select between 2x, 4x, 8x, or 16x.
- Scan: The first 10 seconds of each music track on the disc is played.
- Repeat/Random: You can play back chapters, titles, or tracks recorded on a disc repeatedly. You can also randomly playback audio tracks or files recorded on a disc, USB device, or microSD/SDHC memory card.
Parental Lock: You can set and change the level of parental lock. This function allows cutting scenes that are unfavorable for children or replacing them automatically with other scenes prepared in advance. There are 5 levels of parental lock that are protected by a custom user 4-digit password.
Off Insert/Eject + Auto Reload: You can insert or eject a disc with the unit off. If a disc is left in the ejected position for 20 seconds, the disc is automatically reloaded.
Mounting Angle: For proper disc playback, you must install the unit within 30-degrees of horizontal.
24-bit D/A Converter: The unit's 24-bit D/A converter re-quantizes the 16-bit audio signals from CDs and DVDs as 24-bit data while maintaining the low distortion and high linearity of a 1-bit D/A converter. This allows an expanded dynamic range and clearer reproduction of subtle nuances, for a richer sound when viewing DVDs or listening to CDs.
MOSFET Amplifier: The Clarion NX603 is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit.
- CEA2006 Specs: 18 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (200 watts total)
Note: The power specifications for the NX603 are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers.
6ch/4V RCA Output + Sub Level Control: The Clarion NX603 features 6ch/4V RCA line level outputs (Front/Rear/Sub). The non-fading subwoofer preamp output features an independent level control (+/-6).
Built-in Crossovers: The Clarion NX603 is equipped with built-in low-pass and high-pass crossovers.
- Low-Pass Subwoofer Filter: The Low-Pass Filter (LPF) for the subwoofer preamp output will send only the low frequency range through the preamp outputs to ensure superb performance with a connected subwoofer. The low-pass filter can be set to 50Hz, 80Hz, 120Hz, or Through (full-range).
- High-Pass Filter: The NX603 features a High-Pass Filter (HPF) for the unit's front & rear channels, via speaker-output or preamp-output. You can adjust the high-pass filter from 50Hz, 80Hz, 120Hz, or Through (full-range). The HPF prevents low bass notes from distorting your front & rear speakers. The high-pass filter setting effects both the front & rear channels of the head unit.
Original Sound Technology "Intelligent Tune": The Clarion NX603 features "Intelligent Tune" which provides a variety of audio adjustments to help you fine tune your music.
- Graphic EQ: Choose one of six Preset EQ Modes (Bass.B, High.B, Acoustic, Impact, Smooth, or Flat) that best matches your style of music. Or, you can manually adjust the unit's 6-band graphic EQ (60Hz/250Hz/820Hz/1.6kHz/5kHz/16kHz) for a more custom sound. Save up to 3 customized user presets.
- Loudness: The Loudness feature compensates for deficiencies in the low and high sound ranges at low volume.
- Virtual Bass: Enhances bass output in car stereo system for richer bass sound.
- Vocal Image Control: The vocals can be adjusted front-to-rear and left-to-right in order to reproduce a more powerful vocal soundstage.
- Sound Restorer: Restores compressed audio media, such as MP3 or WMA, closely to the original soundtrack to enable a more enriched, detail sound quality.
- Volume Smoother: Volume Smoother automatically adjusts differences in volume level of all kinds of music sources and scenes and compensates the volume level. When Volume Smoother is on, the volume level is monitored and adjusted at all times, and differences in volume level are suppressed to a fixed range to enhance listening pleasure.
Beep Tone: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
Dual AV Inputs: The Clarion NX603 is equipped with AV input terminals on the front and rear of the unit to enable enjoyment of content from an external connected source. The rear composite video/stereo RCA inputs are ideal for permanent installations, while the front AV minijack (3.5mm) input will come in handy for quick connection of a portable audio/visual source.
Video Output: The NX603 is equipped with a single composite video output for connecting a rear monitor (sold separately). The same source (DVD, AV input, or iPod video) will be displayed on the rear monitor's screen as displayed on the head unit's touchscreen monitor.
HDMI Input: The HDMI input is solely used to connect your Android smartphone (OS 4.0+) to the NX603 via Clarion's CCA771 HDMI-to-microHDMI cable (020CCA771, sold separately) or Clarion's CCA770 HDMI cable (020CCA770, sold separately) and a 3rd party MHL adapter (also sold separately) in order to display and control the Smart Access application.
Optional Camera Input: Adding an optional rear-view camera (such as the 020CC510) to the NX603 requires the Clarion CCA-644 Rear Vision Camera input cable (sold separately). The cable has a proprietary connector on one end (which plugs into the proprietary camera port on the NX603) and a composite video jack on the other end which plugs into the optional backup camera. Once a rear-view camera is connected to this unit, the rear view image is displayed on the NX603's screen when your vehicle is placed in reverse gear (purple/white wire of harness must be connected to reverse light wire of vehicle). In addition to the rear-view image, marker lines are displayed in order to assist you further while backing up. Audio from your music source will continue playing, while the back-up camera is displayed.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately). Please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to see if your vehicle is compatible.
The Clarion NX603 replaces these items
- Pandora control for iPhone
- built-in GPS with maps of 50 states, Canada, and Puerto Rico, plus 15 million points of interest
- built-in Bluetooth, compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
10 questions already asked