About the Clarion NX706
Step one: a big 7" display
Step one: a big 7" display
Clarion's NX706 navigation receiver starts things off on the right foot with a colorful 7" touchscreen with a few buttons along the bottom — you get a lot of real estate for your fingers and your eyes. The built-in navigation software from iGo Primo provides you with maps of all 50 states, plus Puerto Rico and Canada. You'll have access to over 11 million points of interest, along with 3D mapping that allows realistic views of terrain, buildings, and landmarks in select metropolitan areas.
The large icons help you find what you want quickly, so you can keep your eyes on the road.
The display also supports "flick" operation, just like your smartphone. The large vivid diagonal icons offer intuitive navigation through the receiver's different functions, so you won't have to guess where the next touch of the screen will lead you. It gets better: the NX706's variable color key illumination offers 728 colors to choose from, so you're sure to find something to complement your car's interior lighting. The motorized screen also lets you choose from multiple viewing angles.
Step two: digital sound system
Here's where it really gets interesting. The NX706's digital optical output makes the receiver the foundation for Clarion's Full Digital Sound lineup consisting of a processor, tweeters, 6-3/4" speakers, and a 10" subwoofer — all here now. With this unique system, you can hear your music reproduced without the need for inefficient digital-to-analog conversion. The result is pristine, precise sound that won't require a ton of external power to perform optimally.
Even if you're not interested in Clarion's Full Digital Sound products, you can use the digital optical output for system expansion, including adding a signal processor to ensure your sound's as clean and pure as the driven snow when it hits your speakers. Since the receiver's output can be set to fixed or variable, you can maximize the volume of this Clarion receiver and adjust it at the processor, or fine-tune the gain from the driver's seat.
The HDMI input allows this Clarion to get more from select smartphone apps and even play select video files from phones (when parked). You can even mirror the screen from select MHL-compatible Android™ phones on the NX706's display with the correct cables connected.
You'll find a pair of USB inputs in the rear, so you can switch easily between your phone and a thumb drive or another device. Clarion also provides a rear-view camera input with an accompanying audio input. The rear RCA audio/video input can accommodate another source. Like to store your tunes on a microSD card? The NX706 can accommodate you there as well.
Tweak the sonics to your heart's content
To complement the possibilities of the Full Digital Sound family of products, this receiver boasts a full-featured 15-band graphic equalizer, so you can control the audio spectrum between 25 Hz and 16 kHz with ease. You can adjust the EQ and gain for each source independently, so you won't have to adjust the volume whenever you switch from a high-level source to something quieter, like the radio. Built-in high- and low-pass filters ensure your speakers aren't working overtime to reproduce sounds you can't hear.
The NX706 will play lossless FLAC audio files from your flash drive, so you can enjoy up to 24-bit/96 kHz clarity behind the wheel. Clarion includes a handy remote for additional sonic adjustments.
Built-in Bluetooth® for hands-free calling and wireless tuneage
Built-in Bluetooth lets you talk hands-free on your compatible phone so you can keep your hands on the wheel. When a call comes in, you can tap the screen to answer the call and hear your caller over the speakers. The NX706 features a built-in microphone, but Clarion includes an external microphone that can improve the fidelity of your calls in problem vehicles. Of course, you can stream music from your compatible device too.
Easy iPhone® integration, plus Siri® Eyes Free
Apple users can enjoy direct iPod® and iPhone audio control with a simple USB connection or via Bluetooth. iPhone models with a Lightning™ connector require a couple of more adapters, including an HDMI cable and an Apple Lightning™ Digital AV Adapter to get full access to audio and video content.
Siri Eyes Free compatibility allows you to access Siri with a press of the NX706's "Voice" button when the phone is paired via Bluetooth. You can then interact with Siri using your voice like you normally would through your iPhone.
Jam the radio and more
If you enjoy Internet radio on your iPhone or Android, you'll really dig playing music from Pandora on this great-sounding receiver. You can skip tracks, change stations, and thumbs up/thumbs down songs just like you do online. For the iPhone, you'll need a USB or Bluetooth connection; Android phones control Pandora via Bluetooth.
If you're looking for radio stations that won't fade away as you hit the road, add a SiriusXM tuner to this Clarion to enjoy satellite radio's deep programming for short or long trips. The NX706 also includes a sensitive AM/FM tuner to catch all your local stations too.
Movie night in the vehicle
Enjoy watching DVDs up front while you're parked, or hook up a video screen in the back so the kids can watch movies as you drive — thanks to Clarion's "2-Zone" operation, your backseat gang can watch a video while you and your co-pilot enjoy music up front.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most cars, you'll need an adapter to retain those controls with this car stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and radio, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. You'll see the adapters that work with your vehicle when you add this receiver to your cart.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
Smartphone note: If you're going to use your smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
- DVD/CD receiver with 7" touchscreen and AM/FM tuner
- built-in GPS navigation
- fits double-DIN (4" tall) dash openings
- internal amp (20 watts RMS CEA-2006/45 watts peak x 4 channels)
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming (through built-in or external microphone)
- microSD card slot for map updates
- variable color key illumination (728 colors)
- remote control
Smartphone Features: (see Details for info on compatibility with specific smartphones and apps)
- MIrror Mode allows mirroring of select Android smartphone and iPhone displays (compatible HDMI cable required)
- built-in Pandora control for connected smartphones
- built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad control (see Details tab for model compatibility)
- Siri Eyes Free compatibility when iPhone paired via Bluetooth
- maps of United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico, plus 11 million points of interest
- text-to-speech announces actual street names at turns
- lane guidance and junction view
- 3D representations of select buildings, landmarks, and terrain
- plays CDs, DVDs, microSD cards, and USB drives (see Details for full capabilities)
- 15-band parametric EQ with source-independent gain and equalization
- low- and high-pass filters
- dual-zone A/V output
- compatible with Clarion's Full Digital Sound line (processor, speakers, subwoofer)
- plays lossless FLAC audio files (24-bit/96 kHz)
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- inputs: HDMI input; dual rear USB inputs; rear RCA A/V inputs; rear-view camera input with audio input
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (2-volt front, rear, subwoofer); composite A/V output; digital optical output
What's in the box:
- Navigation receiver w/ motorized 6.95" touchscreen display
- 8GB microSD map card (pre-installed)
- Remote control
- CR2025 3V battery (installed in remote)
- Wiring harness
- Preamp harness
- AV/Camera harness
- GPS antenna (w/ attached 16.5' cable)
- Microphone (w/ attached 9.5' cable)
- Small visor-clip
- Large visor-clip
- Self-adhesive clip
- 8 Counter-sunk ISO screws
- 8 Hex-head ISO screws
- 2 Wire splice taps (Red)
- 3 Self-adhesive wire clamps
- 3M tape
- Owner's Manual on CD-ROM
- Quick Start Guide/Installation Manual
- Warranty Card
Clarion NX706 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Clarion NX706
Features & specs
|AUX Input||RCA (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||HDMI (rear), RCA (rear), Mini (rear)|
|USB Input||Rear (2)|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||USB|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM 3.0|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||20 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||45 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||8 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
|Music File Playback||MP3,WMA,AAC,FLAC|
6.95" Motorized Touchscreen: The Clarion NX706 has a motorized 6.95" widescreen (16:9) touchscreen display with a resolution of of 800 x 480 (RGB) and 1,152,000 total pixels. The integrated display provides a high-resolution video monitor for watching video from a DVD or connected smartphone. The unit's touchscreen panel also features interactive controls making menu navigation easy.
- Adjustable Angle: The angle of the 6.95" touchscreen display can adjusted depending on the mounting angle of the unit or lighting conditions. The angle of the touchscreen can be adjusted in the range of 0 to +6 for better visibility.
- Flick Operation: The large, highly visible icons on the touchscreen make the NX706 extremely user friendly. Flick operation support enables you to scroll through map screens, music selection screens and more. By running your finger side-to-side across the touchscreen, you can easily swipe through the various menu screens. Keeping your finger pressed on an icon gives you the ability to select and drag the icon around the screen to create your desired custom layout.
- Large Color Icons: The head unit's menu screens show colorful large icons for each function. Animated graphics liven the display and make icons easily recognizable. High visibility contributes to intuitive operation; simply tap the icon for the function you'd like to utilize.
- Short Cut Menu: The unit has a main menu for using all functions and a shortcut menu that groups together frequently used functions. Use of the shortcut menu allows you to quickly access frequently used functions. Up to five frequently used functions can be registered to the shortcut menu.
- Wallpaper & Background: You can select between 8 preset wallpapers & backgrounds or import your own custom image from an inserted USB thumbdrive. You can also choose to match the receiver's wallpaper color to that of its button illumination (choose between twelve preset colors).
Note: To prevent the displaying of video while the vehicle is in motion, the bright green wire in the supplied wiring harness must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. While the vehicle is in motion (parking brake off), you can still view all of the other displays and menus. Video can only displayed when the vehicle's parking brake is engaged. If you try to view video with the vehicle in motion, the head unit will simply display "CAUTION! Video is disabled for your safety".
Variable Button Illumination: Physical operation buttons are lined up along the bottom of the NX706 creating a simple clutter-free design. You can set the head unit's button illumination to one of twelve preset colors or have the unit scan through all the preset colors. You can also select three custom user colors by adjusting red, yellow and blue values.
Dimmer & Brightness Control: The receiver's display & button illumination automatically dims to a preset brightness when the vehicle's headlights are turned on. The wiring harness includes an orange/white lead that should be connected to the vehicle's parking light circuit in order for the dimmer feature to operate. You can also manually adjust the unit's Day & Night display brightness from 0-20.
Start Up Times: The NX706 has a start up time of approximately 13.5 seconds from Off to the Home Menu screen or 34.7 seconds from Off to the Navigation Map Screen.
Remote Control: The Clarion NX706 comes with an IR wireless remote control and offers compatibility with factory steering wheel controls (adapter sold separately) for added convenience.
- IR Remote: In addition to the unit's touchscreen and hard-key controls, the NX706 comes supplied with an IR remote control for wireless operation of the navigation receiver and your connected devices. The remote control operates off of a single CR2025 Lithium-cell 3V battery (included).
- Steering Wheel Remote Input: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately).
Anti-Theft Code: You may program the unit with a 4 digit security code. Once the unit has been programmed with a security code, the code must be entered to use the unit after it has been disconnected from power.
Clarion Mobile Map Software w/ TomTom Maps: The NX706 features a built-in navigation system with everything you need to get to your destination quickly and efficiently. The NX706's map database (by TomTom) provides coverage of the United States (all 50 states), Canada, and Puerto Rico. Navigation data is stored on the unit's pre-installed 8GB microSD memory card for quick access and response. The NX706's integrated Clarion Mobile Map software provides turn-by-turn visual and voice assistance to direct you to your selected destination. The built-in software quickly calculates step-by-step directions to any destination available on the included navigation map.
Note: Car navigation maps are frequently updated. While this database was judged to be as accurate as possible at the time of its release, a map database can never be 100% accurate. Road information that is maintained in the map databases, such as turn restrictions or road names may change over time.
Map Updates: It is easy to keep the navigation system up to date via naviextras.com and your Windows PC (XP and newer). Simply download new map data from Clarion's portal site (clarion.naviextras.com), store the updated map data on a microSD card and insert it into the Clarion NX706 via the front-panel microSD card slot which is hidden behind the motorized touchscreen monitor. You have 30 days from purchase to download the latest available map free of charge.
GPS (Global Position System): Clarion's built-in navigation helps you find your way to your destination with an integrated GPS receiver & external GPS antenna. The Clarion NX706 features a built-in SiRF GPS receiver and includes a GPS antenna which can be mounted to the outside of your vehicle via its magnetic base or on the dash with the included two-side tape. The NX706 uses Global Position System (GPS) satellites, and a digital roadway map database to calculate and display vehicle positioning and travel direction. The NX706 considers vehicle speed an heading changes, together with longitude and latitude information, to accurately determine vehicle heading and position on a digital map. Signal from GPS satellites are used to determine the vehicle location.
Note: The navigation receiver took approximately 9.7 seconds to calculate directions from Virginia to Las Vegas. It only took about 7.3 seconds to calculate directions from Virginia to Detroit. These tests were done inside the Crutchfield Lab of the Crutchfield Headquarters. Results will vary based on length of calculated route and your surrounding area.
Smart 3D & 2D Maps: On-screen 3D & 2D rendered maps make navigating from point A to point B simple and seamless. The NX706 automatically changes the style of the on-screen maps that is most useful and suited for your current location. Beautiful 3D landmarks are generated throughout the maps, offering realistic key points along your travel route. While 2D mapping offers a clean look and feel that offers you a better sense of the distance between locations. The map screen's brightness and color scheme are automatically adjusted to provide maximum visibility without glare or eye strain when you turn the car's headlights on/off or at a set time of day. The receiver's on-screen map offers the following helpful features to assist you along your route.
- Lane Information: When navigation on multilane roads, it is important to take the appropriate lane in order to follow the recommended route. If lane information is available in the map data, the map screen will display the lanes and their directions using small arrows at the bottom of the map. High lighted arrows represent the lanes you need to take.
- Signposts: Where additional information is available, signposts substitute arrows. Signposts are displayed at the top of the map. The color and style of the signposts are similar to the real ones you can see above the road or by the roadside, They show the available destinations and the number of the road the lane leads to.
- Exit Services: While navigation a route, you can find gas, food, lodging, and restrooms near upcoming exits. Services are listed under the following categories - Gas, Food, Lodging, and Restrooms. You must be on a major highway or road to use this feature.
- Junction View: If you are approaching a freeway exit or a complex intersection and the needed information exists, the map is replaced with a 3D view of the junction. The lanes you need to take are displayed with arrows. Signposts can also be present, if information is available.
- Tunnel View: When entering a tunnel, the map is replaced with a generic tunnel image so that surface roads and buildings cannot distract you.
Audible Alerts: The Clarion NX706 offers various audible alerts and functions to help you get to your destination safely. The unit will attenuate the audio of the other sources during navigation voice-prompts.
- Voice Guidance (TTS): In addition to graphic directions, the NX706 provides voice guidance and audible turn-by-turn directions with pronunciation of street names. You can select from English, French, or Spanish audible languages. The volume of the voice prompts can be increased with increases in speed to overcome road noise. Voice guidance can be turned off if you prefer.
- Safety Alert: This function can warn you when you approach road safety cameras, school zones, or railroad crossings (if available). You can also add your own alert points. Beeps or the spoken type of alert will be heard when you are approaching of these points.
- Speed Limit Warning: Some maps may contain information about the speed limits of certain road segments. The NX706 provides an audible warning if you exceed the recommended speed limit.
Where Am I?: This screen contains information about the current position (or approximately the last known position if GPS reception is not available) and a button to search for POIs and emergency assistance nearby.
Find Menu: The Find Menu gives you many different ways to choose your destination or insert a waypoint in your current route. An on-screen keyboard appears to allow you to enter your destination from one of the following categories:
- Browse Map: You can search for a destination by scrolling the map display and tapping on a location point.
- Combined Search: You can enter search keywords to find addresses, favorite places, recent destination, and POIs.
- Favorites + Home: Store your most frequented locations as "Favorites" for easier recall. You can even save your home address, so you can route back to your home quickly from almost anywhere.
- Address: Set your destination by entering a full or partial addresses, searching for a city's central location, or by searching for where two roads intersect.
- Places Of Interests (POIs): Preloaded with 11 million points of interest, its database includes national parks, restaurants, gas stations and much more. Search points-of-interest (POIs) by name, phone #, or category; search near your current location, in a specific city, along your current route, or near your destination.
- Smart History: Previously selected destinations are automatically saved for easier recall from the History list. Smart History offers these locations from your previous destination, using parameters like the current time of day, the day of the week, and the current location. The more you use the navigation software, the better it can guess your desired destination.
- Phone & Coordinates: You can select a destination by entering a phone number or by entering geographic coordinates (latitude & longitude).
Note: You can select any type of destination search with or without the vehicle's parking brake engaged.
Route Calculation: The Clarion NX706 calculates your route based on your Vehicle Type, Route Method, and Avoidances.
- Vehicle Type: You select what type of vehicle you are driving, so the navigation unit can determine the best route based on your vehicle type (Car, Truck, Emergency, Bus, or Taxi).
- Route Method: You can
choose which route method (Fastest, Shortest, Green, Economical, or Easy) the navigation
unit should use when calculating your route.
- Fastest: give a quick route, if you can travel at or near the speed limit on all roads. Usually the best section for fast and normal cars
- Shortest: gives a route that has the smallest total distance of all possible routes. It can be practical for slow vehicles
- Green: gives a quick, but full efficient route based on the fuel consumption data you provide
- Economical: combines the benefits of Fast and Short; calculates as if it were calculating the Fast route, but it takes other roads as well to save fuel
- Easy: results in a route with fewer turns and no difficult maneuvers
- Avoidances: You can tell the navigation unit to avoid certain types of roads along your calculated route, such as - Highways, Tolls, Carpool/HOV, Unpaved Roads, and/or Ferries.
- Route Alternative: You can select "Route Alternative" to see the turn-list and map screen of three routes with the selected route planning parameters, giving you the option to select which route to take.
Vehicle Profile: You can create a vehicle profile for your car, truck, or SUV. Enter the following parameters for your vehicle - Fuel Consumption (avg. fuel consumption of your vehicle in city and rural areas), Engine Type (engine and fuel type), Fuel Price (avg. fuel price for travel cost calculation), Max Speed (max speed you travel), Weight, and Dimensions (length x width x height).
My Route: "My Route" displays the route parameters and the calculated route in its full length on the map. You can also perform route-related actions such as editing or canceling your route, setting a start point for the route, picking route alternatives, avoiding parts of the route, simulating navigation or adding the destination to your Favorites.
Modifying A Route + Auto Route Recalculation: When navigation is already started, there are several ways to modify the active route. You can edit the route by modifying the list of destinations and waypoints. You can add or remove destinations (waypoints), modify the start position or reorder the list. You'll be able to create a brand new route, add intermediate destinations (waypoints), and modify the final destination. Or, you can simply cancel your active route. The unit will also automatically recalculate your route if you stray from the navigation unit's previously calculated route.
Trip Monitor: The Trip Monitor contains useful information about your trip. This information can be saved manually when you reach your destination or automatically along your route. Trip log data includes; Start/End Time, Avg./Max. Speed, Total/Driving/Stopped Time, Total Distance, and Min./Max. Altitude.
Quick Menu: The Quick Menu is a selection of controls and functions that are frequently needed during navigation. It can be opened directly from the Map screen by tapping Quick Menu icon. You can customize which controls and functions are accessible through the Quick Menu.
Bluetooth (version 4.0): The Clarion NX706 is equipped with built-in Bluetooth v4.0, allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.5 (Hands Free Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile), HSP 1.0 (Headset Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.2 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.4 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Clarion NX706. Visit Clarion Bluetooth Support for complete list of compatible phones and players.
SPP (Secure Simple Pairing): With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the Clarion NX706 without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. Once a device is paired, the registered Bluetooth device will automatically connect to the receiver when it is in close proximity (up to 30') to the receiver. You can register up to five Bluetooth-enabled devices with the Clarion head unit, but only one paired phone can be used at a time.
Hands-Free Communication (Integrated & External Mic) The NX706 supports Bluetooth hands-free communication from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone (such as your iPhone or Android smartphone). The NX706 can be set to automatically answer your incoming calls and mute any music audio to your vehicle's speakers so you can instantly carry on a phone conversation hands-free. An integrated front-panel or external microphone carries on your side of the conversation while your car's speakers are used to hear the other person. You can make a call by entering the phone number, selecting a contact from your Phonebook list, or using the Call History Log of received/dialed/missed calls.
- Answering A Call: During an incoming call, the caller's phone number will be seen on the unit's LCD and a ring-tone will be heard through your car stereo speakers. You can then manually answer the incoming call from the head unit's front-panel controls. You can also set the unit to automatically answer an incoming call within 5 seconds.
- Making A Call: You can make a call using the Clarion in-dash head unit's front-panel controls (with or without the parking brake engaged). Outgoing calls can be made by entering telephone numbers directly via the head unit's touchscreen. You can also search for contact names in your mobile phone's phonebook from the Clarion NX706 and then make your call; the head unit can store up to 500 contact numbers. In addition, you can make a call by searching your mobile phone's call history (Received/Dialed/Missed) from the Clarion NX706.
Note: This unit allows you to answer a call or dial out using any option without engaging the parking brake.
Wireless Audio Streaming: The Clarion NX706 can stream & control music from your Bluetooth A2DP/AVRCP mobile device (such as your iPhone or Android smartphone). You'll be able to stream stored music and music apps on your mobile device to the NX706 receiver. The unit offers basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip, & Random/Repeat) for stored music and music apps. In addition, the NX706 provides a Track List of the stored music on your smartphone (AVRCP 1.4 phones only) and even offers Playlist/Artist/Album/Song/Genre/etc. browsing for stored music on your iPod/iPhone (iOS 6.0+); as a result you can find your music much quicker. The head unit will also display your stored music and music app song/artist/album information.
Note: When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
Siri Eyes Free Control: When paired and connected to an iPhone with Siri via Bluetooth, the Clarion NX706 has the ability to access Siri through its front-panel controls and external microphone. Simply press-and-hold down on the head unit's "VOICE" button to engage Siri and use the included microphone to communicate with Siri. Siri's voice will heard through your vehicle's speakers. All Siri functions including hands-free calling, music search, setting reminders, text-messaging, audible navigation, and more can be done through the NX706 and its microphone. You can even ask Siri to get directions to a destination and the turn-by-turn instructions will heard through your vehicle's speakers, while the on-screen map still displays on your iPhone with Siri.
Note: The head unit's LCD touchscreen will only display hands-free calling and Bluetooth audio information (all other functions of Siri are only audible through the Clarion NX706; visual data will still need to be viewed from your iPhone device).
Smartphone Mirroring via HDMI: The Clarion NX706's rear-panel HDMI input can be used to connect select MHL-enabled Android smartphones or Apple iPhones with Lightning connector for mirroring and audio/video playback through the navigation receiver. You can listen to stored music and music apps, as well a view stored video and video apps. The head unit's touchscreen will display (not always full-screen) the same screen which is displayed on your smartphone, but only when your vehicle's parking brake is engaged. Audio content can be heard without the parking brake engaged, but the unit will only display "Caution! Video is disabled for your safety". You cannot perform operation of the Android or Apple iOS device from the head unit's touchscreen; you will still need to use your mobile phone's touchscreen for operation. The following proprietary connector cables are required for Android or Apple iOS connectivity.
- iPhone Connectivity: If you have an iPhone with the Lightning connector, you will need Apple's Lightning Digital AV adapter and Lightning-to-USB cable, and HDMI cable (all sold separately). The HDMI connector provides the audio/video playback, while the USB connection charges your iPhone device. Not compatible with 30-pin Apple iPhone.
- Android Connectivity: To connect your MHL-enabled Android smartphone, you'll need a Soundstream or Dual HDMI/MHL cable (sold separately) which plugs into both the unit's HDMI input and USB port. The HDMI connector provides the audio/video playback, while the USB connection charges your Android device. Check here for a list of compatible MHL-enabled Android phones.
Note: Your vehicle's parking brake must be engaged for the head unit to display video from your smartphone device or "mirror" your smartphone device's screen. Control of your smartphone must still be done from your smartphone's touchscreen (not the head unit).
iPod/iPhone Music Playback: If you only desire music playback from your Apple iPod/iPhone with Lightning connector, you can simply connect your Lightning Apple device via a 1-wire USB connection using the cable that came with your Apple iPod/iPhone. Plug your Apple device into the head unit's rear-panel USB port labeled "iPod/iPhone". The NX706 will support stored music and music app playback, music browsing and playback control, song/artist information with album art, and charging.
- Music Control: The Clarion NX706 allows you to browse your iPod/iPhone's music library by Playlist, Artist, Song, Album, Genre, Composer, Audiobook, or Podcast from its touchscreen display. Content in each category can be searched alphabetically. The receiver also supports basic playback functions such as Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next Track, and Repeat/Random of your connected iPod/iPhone. Your compatible iPhone or iPod touch will also allow you to navigate stored music and movies, as well as access music and movie apps from the Apple device's touchscreen; the iPod nano will be locked during connection.
- Song/Artist Info + Album Art: The navigation receiver will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music file information; including Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song Title, Artist/Album Name, and Album Art. The NX706 will also display song/artist information, station identification, and Album Art from select music apps.
- Battery Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. This unit does not charge the iPad. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then this unit will not recognize it.
Note: The NX706 is not compatible with 30-pin Apple devices.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Clarion NX706 is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 3/9/2016):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Pandora||Album Art||Song/Artist Text||Track Info||Phone||Audio||Siri|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
AM/FM Tuner: The Clarion NX706 is equipped with a built-in AM/FM tuner. The NX706 offers Seek, Manual, and Preset tuning. The NX706's built-in AM/FM tuner features 3 FM bands and 1 AM band. You can store up to 6 presets in each bands, allowing you to store 18 FM and 6 AM preset stations. You can manually store your favorite presets or have the NX706 automatically store the strongest stations for you. The Preset Scan feature receives the stations stored in the units' preset memory in order and scans each station for 10 seconds sequentially; this function is useful when searching for the desired station in memory. When "Local" seeking is turned On, only those radio stations with strong radio signal can be received.
Pandora Internet Radio: The free Pandora App (for Apple iOS 9.0+ and Android OS 4.0+) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Clarion NX706 using your USB-connected Apple iPhone (iOS 9.0+) or Bluetooth-paired Android smartphone. Your compatible mobile device will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G), or WiFi. You will also need a Pandora music service account. The NX706 provides control over the Pandora music service and displays Artist, Album, and Song information, as well as Album Art.
- Station List: You can select Pandora stations from your Station List by date or alphabetically (A-Z). You can also choose to randomly playback songs from all your registered stations.
- Create New Station: New stations can be created based on the current songs or artists playing on Pandora.
- Skip Songs: You can skip song tracks within a station. You cannot skip back to a previous song. Pandora limits the number of skips allowed.
- Thumbs Up/Down: You can give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Pandora personalize stations to suit your preferences.
- Bookmarking: The song or artist currently being played can be bookmarked & stored in your Pandora account.
Note: Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone/Android to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada & only available in the United States.
SiriusXM 3.0 Ready: The Clarion NX706 is SiriusXM 3.0 Ready and compatible with the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300 sold separately). The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 175+ SiriusXM channels via subscription; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here. Additional features of the SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Category Search + Song/Artist Info: Category Search feature lets you search for channels within a certain genre or category. Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's display.
- SmartFavorite Presets: Up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets can be stored fore easy recall. These presets are automatically recognized as SmartFavorites, allowing you tonrewind and replay any missed programming from your current band of preset channels.
- Instant Replay: The Instant Replay feature allows you to pause, rewind, and replay live SiriusXM Satellite Radio programming from the current station you are listening to.
- TuneStart & TuneMix: With the TuneStart feature activated, you will hear the beginning of the song when you tune to one of your SmartFavorite preset channels. TuneMix plays a unique blend of songs from your SmartFavorite preset music channels from the current SiriusXM preset band, allowing you to build a custom channel from as few as two to as many a six music channels.
Disc Compatibility: The Clarion NX706's touchscreen monitor must be electronically lowered to access the disc slot. The NX706 supports playback of DVD-Video, DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW, CD-Audio, and CD-R/RW discs. The head unit supports a variety of audio/video files recorded onto DVD or CD.
- Auto Reload: If a disc is left in the ejected position for 10 seconds, the disc is automatically reloaded.
- Parental Lock: You can set and change the level of parental lock for DVD playback. This function allows cutting scenes that are unfavorable for children or replacing them automatically with other scenes prepared in advance. There are seven levels of parental lock that are protected by a custom user 4-digit password.
- Mounting Angle: For proper disc playback, you must install the unit within 30-degrees of horizontal.
Dual USB Ports: The Clarion navigation head unit features two rear-panel USB type-A ports (attached to rear chassis by 13" cables) that allows you to connect portable USB mass-storage class (MSC) devices; such as a USB thumbdrive or flashdrive. The unit supports a variety of music and movie files recorded onto USB. USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the navigation receiver's USB port (5V/1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Note: This head unit's USB ports do not support Android smartphones, USB hubs, Card-readers, or computers.
Compatible Media Files: The Clarion NX706 supports the following types of music and movie files recorded onto a disc or loaded onto a USB mass storage class device.
|Media Type||Disc (CD-R/RW or DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW)||USB (MSC)|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2||FAT 16/32|
|Playable File Types||Audio||MP3:
bit rate of 32-320kbps w/ sampling frequency of 8-48kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 32-320kbps w/ sampling frequency of 32-48kHz
AAC: bit rate of 32-320kbps w/ sampling frequency of 32-48kHz
|MP3: bit rate of
8-320kbps w/ sampling frequency of 8-48kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 32-192kbps w/ sampling frequency of 32-48kHz
AAC: bit rate of 32-320kbps w/ sampling frequency of 32-48kHz
FLAC: bit rate of 16 or 24 bits w/ sampling frequency of 44.1-96kHz
|Video|||MP4 (MPEG4): max
resolution of 720 x 405 |
AVI (MPEG4): max resolution of 720 x 480
MPEG2: max resolution of 720 x 480
|AVC (H.264): max resolution of 1920 x 1080 |
MPEG4: max resolution of 720 x 480
MPEG2: max resolution of 720 x 480
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||200 folders/1500 files (200 files per folder)||65,535 folders/65,535 files|
|Tags||MP3 ID3-tags (ver. 1.0/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA-tags, AAC-tags, FLAC-tags|
Playback Operations: The Clarion NX706 offers the following playback & search functions for disc and USB.
- Track List: This function allows you to select audio tracks from a displayed list of tracks on a disc or within in a folder.
- Direct Search: You can locate the beginning of a movie scene using the time, chapter numbers, or title numbers recorded on a DVD video disc. You can also select a specific MP3/WMA track from a disc or USB device.
- Skip Search: Chapters or Tracks are skipped down or up from the current location, as many times as the key is pressed, and then playback starts.
- Fast Forward/Rewind : The NX706 offers a variable fast forward and rewind function. You can select between 2x, 4x, 8x, or 16x.
- Scan: The first 10 seconds of each music track on the disc or USB device is played.
- Repeat/Random: You can play back chapters, titles, or tracks recorded on a disc repeatedly. You can also randomly playback audio tracks or files recorded on a disc or USB device.
24-bit D/A Converter: The unit's 24-bit D/A converter re-quantizes the 16-bit audio signals from CDs and DVDs as 24-bit data while maintaining the low distortion and high linearity of a 1-bit D/A converter. This allows an expanded dynamic range and clearer reproduction of subtle nuances, for a richer sound when viewing DVDs or listening to CDs.
MOSFET Amplifier: The Clarion NX706 is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit.
- CEA2006 Specs: 20 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Maximum Power Output: 45 watts x 4 channels (200 watts total)
Note: The power specifications for the NX706 are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers.
6ch/2V RCA Outputs + Sub Level Control: With 3 sets of 2V RCA output (Front/Rear/Sub), you can add external power amplifiers to further enhance the NX706 system. In addition, independent volume control (0-14) and phase adjustment (normal/reverse) is enabled for the subwoofer output so you can adjust the level of bass to your liking at any time, regardless of the output level of the other channels.
Optical Digital Output: Thanks to the head unit's optical digital output, it is possible to use an optical cable to connect to external units such as Full Digital Sound units or DSP devices (sold separately) from Clarion to upgrade your system to digital. Connecting the receiver to Clarion's Full Digital Sound components enables you to enjoy cutting-edge high-quality digital sound. And since the output can be set to Fixed or Variable, you can maximize the volume of the source unit and adjust it at the processor, or finely adjust volume directly at the source unit
Built-in Crossovers: The NX706's internal High Pass and Low Pass filters allow your music to be played at the precise levels that they were meant to be heard. Enjoy bass with more muscle and highs with more clarity.
- Low-Pass Subwoofer Filter: The Low-Pass Filter (LPF) for the subwoofer output will send only the low frequency range through the RCA outputs to ensure superb performance with a connected subwoofer. The low-pass filter can be set to 60Hz, 90Hz, 120Hz, or Through (full-range).
- High-Pass Filter: The NX706 features a High-Pass Filter (HPF) for the unit's front & rear channels, via speaker-output or RCA output. You can adjust the high-pass filter from 60Hz, 90Hz, 120Hz, or Through (full-range). The HPF prevents low bass notes from distorting your front & rear speakers. The high-pass filter setting effects both the front & rear channels of the head unit.
EQ Presets + 15-Band EQ: You can choose between 6 EQ preset modes - Bass Boost, High Boost, Natural, Vocal, Impact or Flat. The NX706 also has a built-in 15-band equalizer that gives you the ability to sculpt sound to your taste even more. Its built-in EQ gives you superior control over the audio spectrum with frequency adjustments in the 25 Hz to 16 kHz range over 15 bands. This gives you the power to get the most out of your sound system, and the ability to contour the sound output to your musical taste. Make detailed adjustments with precision to create the perfect sound in your vehicle.
Magna Bass EX (Extend): The Magna Bass Extend feature does not adjust the low frequencies like the normal sound adjustment function, but emphasizes the deep bass frequencies to provide you with a dynamic sound. This circuit boosts bass at an ultra-low frequency of about 50Hz, creating a rich, deep, defined bass rather than the muddy, booming bass of a standard loudness control. What is more, boost levels are dependent on the system volume, resulting in balanced system response and dynamic bass reproduction.
Source Level: Since the gain level can be pre-adjusted for each source separately, you won't have to fiddle with the volume knob each time you switch sources.
Beep Tone: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
AV Inputs: The Clarion NX706 is equipped with composite video/stereo RCA AV input terminals on the rear of the unit to enable enjoyment of content from an external connected source.
HDMI/MHL Input: In addition to iPhone and Android connectivity, the head unit's HDMI/MHL input can be used to connect almost any external mobile AV source with an HDMI output; such as a TV tuner, Blu-ray player, or game system. The HDMI input will provide video and audio playback. Your vehicle's parking brake will need to be engaged to view video on the receiver's screen. Playback functions will need to be controlled from your HDMI-connected device.
Audio/Video Output (with Dual Zone): The NX706 features a rear-panel composite video/stereo RCA audio output that allows you to connect an external display and headphone system in the rear of your vehicle. You can playback audio/video content from a Disc, USB, or AV Input on a rear-seat monitor system; while viewing a different or the same audio/video source on the navigation receiver's touchscreen monitor. The head unit's HDMI input is not available in the second zone.
Camera Input: The Camera Input consists of a Composite video RCA jack for connecting an optional rear-view back-up camera (such as the 020CC520, sold separately). This RCA input enables you to connect a rear-view camera to display the area behind your vehicle. The increased view encourages and facilitates safer driving. When an optional rearview camera is connected to this unit, the rear view image is displayed on the screen when your vehicle is placed in reverse gear (purple/white wire of harness must be connected to reverse light wire of vehicle). Automatic video switching takes approximately 1.1 seconds.
Note: The rear view camera feature is meant as a back-up aid only; never solely rely on the rear-view camera when backing-up. In addition to using the rear-view camera, always look behind you to make sure everything is clear when backing up your vehicle.
The Clarion NX706 replaces these items
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- Smart Access connectivity for cloud-based control of road-friendly smartphone apps through iPhone or Android smartphone
- Google Intelligent VOICE speech-recognition technology
13 questions already asked