About the Clarion NZ503
Excellent guidance and DVD entertainment
Excellent guidance and DVD entertainment
Your single-DIN (2" tall) dash opening shouldn't stop you from taking advantage of in-dash navigation and DVD compatibility. Clarion's NZ503 navigation receiver sports a retractable 7" color touchscreen display that gives you access to detailed maps and a whole lot more. You control the action just by flicking your finger across the screen, like you'd do with your smartphone. You'll also have DVD playback, hands-free calling through your compatible phone, and a plethora of sound source options right at your fingers.
Ready for serious road warriors
Whether you're a daily commuter or visiting family in another time zone, you'll appreciate the NZ503's built-in maps of the U.S., Canada, and Puerto Rico, especially when displayed on the big fold-out display. You'll also have 15 million points of interest at your disposal, so you'll never be at a loss for food, gas, or other essentials. The receiver will even let you know when you're traveling over the posted speed limit, and give you audio prompts for every upcoming maneuver. Visual aids such as junction view and lane guidance help keep you on the right path.
Built-in Bluetooth® by industry leader Parrot
It's always a decision when your phone rings on the highway — do you answer it or concentrate on the road? Built-in Bluetooth lets you talk hands-free on your compatible phone so you can keep your hands on the wheel. When a call comes in, you can tap the screen to answer the call and hear your caller over the speakers. And you can even stream tunes if your Bluetooth device supports it.
Clarion's NZ503 receiver gives you all the benefits of a big touchscreen receiver without taking up a ton of dash space.
The NZ503's compatible with Clarion's outboard HD Radio™ tuner, so you can pick up AM and FM broadcasts with increased fidelity from participating stations. If you're a satellite radio fan, the receiver's ready to add SiriusXM programming with your subscription and an optional tuner.
The stereo also offers three sets 4-volt preamp outputs for system-building flexibility. You also get low- and high-pass crossovers, a built-in subwoofer control, and three equalizer bands for tweaking the sound. Clarion includes a handy remote for on-the-fly changes.
Don't forget about your iPod® and other sources
Connect your iPod or iPhone® to the rear USB slot, and you'll get touchscreen control over your tunes — no adapter required for audio. You'll also get control over your phone's Pandora Internet radio app when connected. Add an optional adapter, and you can play videos from most Apple devices on the 7" screen when you're parked.
The NZ503 plays your store-bought and recordable CDs and DVDs, including those you've loaded with MP3 and WMA files. You can enjoy digital music files from a USB thumb drive, too.
Enjoy watching DVDs up front while you're parked, or hook up a video screen in the back so the kids can watch movies as you drive — thanks to Clarion's dual-zone mode, your backseat passengers can watch a video while you and your co-pilot enjoy music up front. And if you're safety conscious, the NZ503 offers a dedicated rear-view camera input for your optional camera.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most vehicles, you can use an adapter (not included) to connect your vehicle's steering wheel controls to this Clarion stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and the Clarion, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. Check the "Accessories" tab for compatible adapters.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
iPod note: If you're going to use your iPod or iPhone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver or its optional iPod adapter.
- DVD/CD receiver with 7" retractable touchscreen and AM/FM tuner
- fits single-DIN (2" tall) dash openings
- built-in amplifier (19 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 watts peak x 4 channels)
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- wireless remote
- maps of the U.S., Canada, and Puerto Rico, plus 15 million points of interest
- text-to-speech turn-by-turn voice guidance
- lane guidance and junction view
- iPod control: optional Clarion adapter required for full access to audio/video content
- iPhone: Pandora control through USB connection
- plays CDs, DVDs, and USB memory devices (see Details for full capabilities)
- 24-bit digital-to-analog converter
- 3-band parametric equalizer with 5 tone presets
- dual-zone A/V output
- compatible with Clarion HD Radio tuner
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- inputs: rear USB input, front 3.5mm input, rear composite A/V input, rear camera input
- outputs: rear A/V output, 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
What's in the box:
- Navigation multimedia receiver with retractable 7" touchscreen monitor
- 4GB microSD Map card (pre-installed)
- Sleeve (installed)
- Trim ring
- Wiring harness
- 16" Minijack AV to composite video/stereo RCA cable (male minijack connector on one end a female RCA jacks on other end)
- GPS antenna (with attached 16.5' cord)
- Remote control ((w/ CR2025 Lithium battery installed)
- 2 Radio removal tools
- Metal backstrap
- 4 Counter-sunk ISO screws
- 4 Hex-head ISO screws
- 2 Wire splice taps (Red)
- 3 Self-adhesive wire clamps
- 3M tape
- Cleaning cloth
- Owner's Manual on CD-ROM
- Quick Start Guide/Installation Manual (En/Fr/Sp)
- Warranty Card (US/Canada)
Clarion NZ503 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Clarion NZ503
Features & specs
|AUX Input||Mini (front), RCA (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||Mini (front), RCA (rear)|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||19 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||4.0 volts|
|Key Button Color||Blue|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||8 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA, AAC|
Motorized Retractable 7.0" Touchscreen: The Clarion NZ503 has a motorized, retractable 7.0" TFT widescreen display with touchscreen controls. The display provides a high-resolution video monitor for watching your DVD videos. The screen has a resolution of 800 x 480 (RGB) and 1,152,000 total pixels. The unit's touchscreen features interactive controls & video graphics making menu navigation easy.
Display Angles: You can adjust the display's angle (0-5) for best visibility. After the viewing angle has been set, the unit will return the display to that angle each time, even if the unit is turned off.
Touchscreen GUI with Flick Operation: The GUI (Graphical User Interface) shows large icons that are highly visible and easily recognizable at a glance. Feature icons are animated for an enhanced appearance. The NZ503's touchscreen GUI (Graphical User Interface) supports flick operation, so you can quickly scroll to another menu page.
Start Up Time: The NZ503 has a start up time of approximately 14.5 seconds from Off to an audio/video source screen; and another 17.2 seconds to the map screen for a total start up time of approximately 31.7 seconds from Off to the navigation map screen.
Monitor Adjustments: The Clarion NZ503 offers the following touchscreen monitor adjustments.
- Wallpaper Backgrounds: The NZ503 includes 8 preset wallpaper backgrounds to choose from. You can also download a custom wallpaper background from a connected USB thumbdrive.
- Brightness: You can adjust the touchscreen monitor's brightness from 0-20.
- Auto Dimmer: The receiver's display automatically dims to a preset brightness when the vehicle's headlights are turned on. The wiring harness includes an orange/white lead that should be connected to the vehicle's parking light circuit in order for the dimmer feature to operate.
- Monitor Off: You can turn the navigation-multimedia head unit's touchscreen monitor off when simply listening to music.
Hard-Key Buttons + 2nd Display: In addition to its main LCD touchscreen, when the NZ503 is in the "closed" position, the informative 12-digit white LCD offers maximum visibility in a space-saving package. Since the vast majority of functions are controllable from the touchscreen, there are only 11 physical buttons on the unit for the most basic & commonly-used functions.
Parking Brake Detection: To prevent the displaying of video while the vehicle is in motion, the bright green wire in the supplied 18-pin harness must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. While the vehicle is in motion (parking brake off), you can still view all of the other displays and menus.
Anti-Theft Code: You may program the unit with a 4 digit security code. Once the unit has been programmed with a security code, the code must be entered to use the unit after it has been disconnected from power.
Navigation Mapping Software: The integrated map database (by TeleAtlas) used by the Clarion NZ503 was created using high-resolution aerial and land based data collection. Navigation data is stored on the unit's preloaded 4GB microSD-card for quick access and response. The NZ503 provides map coverage of the United States (all 50 states), Canada, and Puerto Rico. The Clarion NZ503's integrated iGo Primo navigation software provides turn-by-turn visual and voice assistance to direct you to your selected destination. The built-in software quickly calculates step-by-step directions to any destination available on the included navigation map.
Note: Car navigation maps are frequently updated. While this database was judged to be as accurate as possible at the time of its release, a map database can never be 100% accurate. Road information that is maintained in the map databases, such as turn restrictions or road names may change over time.
Map Updates: It is easy to keep the navigation system up to date. Simply download new map data from Clarion's portal site (clarion.naviextras.com), store the updated map data on a microSD card and insert it into the Clarion NZ503 via the side-panel microSD card slot. You have 30 days from purchase to download the latest available map free of charge.
GPS (Global Position System): Clarion's built-in navigation helps you find your way to your destination with an integrated GPS receiver & external GPS antenna. The Clarion NZ503 features a built-in SiRFprima GPS receiver and includes an external magnetic GPS antenna. The NZ503 uses Global Position System (GPS) satellites, and a digital roadway map database to calculate and display vehicle positioning and travel direction. The NZ503 considers vehicle speed an heading changes, together with longitude and latitude information, to accurately determine vehicle heading and position on a digital map. Signal from GPS satellites are used to determine the vehicle location. Three (good) or four (best) satellites must be receive to accurately determine location.
On-Screen Map: The unit's on-screen map shows your vehicle's current position (a red arrow by default), the recommended route (an magenta line), the surrounding map area, and your destination as a checkered flag. The on-screen map shows streets, roads, and highways in a way that is similar to how a paper road map show them. A road's width and colors corresponds to their importance, so you can easily tell a freeway from a small street. When navigating a route, the top section of the map screen shows information about your next route maneuver and the next street or the next city/town. When approaching a turn, the map screen will zoom in and raise the view angle to let you easily recognize your maneuver at the next junction. If the next turn is at a distance, it will zoom out and lower the view angle to be flat so you can see the road in front of you. The map also displays data; such as the posted speed limit, your current speed, current time, distance to your destination, time left before you reach your destination, and your arrival time.
- 2D/3D Map Mode: The Clarion NZ503 allows you to view its on-screen map in a 2D (two-dimensional) or 3D (three-dimensional) view. Similar to paper road maps, the 2D mode, shows you streets, roads, and elevation by color. In 3D mode, you can see the altitude and elevations differences. You can distinguish between valleys, mountains, and elevated roads. In selected cities 3D landmarks and 3D buildings are also displayed.
- Color Mode: The navigation map screen uses different color themes (Day/Night) during the day and during the night for both the map and the menu screen. Daytime colors are similar to paper road maps, and the menus are bright. The nigh color themes use dark colors for large objects to keep the average brightness of the screen low. You can also set the navigation unit to switch between daytime and night color modes automatically based on the current time and GPS position.
Lane Information & Signposts: The Clarion NZ503's navigation map offers helpful lane information & signpost guidance.
- Lane Information: When navigation on multilane roads, it is important to take the appropriate lane in order to follow the recommended route. If lane information is available in the map data, the map screen will display the lanes and their directions using small arrows at the bottom of the map. High lighted arrows represent the lanes you need to take.
- Signposts: Where additional information is available, signposts substitute arrows. Signposts are displayed at the top of the map. The color and style of the signposts are similar to the real ones you can see above the road or by the roadside, They show the available destinations and the number of the road the lane leads to.
- Exit Services: While navigation a route, you can find gas, food, lodging, and restrooms near upcoming exits. Services are listed under the following categories - Gas, Food, Lodging, and Restrooms. You must be on a major highway or road to use this feature.
- Junction View: If you are approaching a freeway exit or a complex intersection and the needed information exists, the map is replaced with a 3D view of the junction. The lanes you need to take are displayed with arrows. Signposts can also be present, if information is available.
- Tunnel View: When entering a tunnel, the map is replaced with a generic tunnel image so that surface roads and buildings cannot distract you.
Audible Alerts: The Clarion NZ503 offers various audible alerts and functions to help you get to your destination safely.
- Voice Guidance (Text-to-Speech): In addition to graphic directions, the NZ503 provides voice guidance and turn-by-turn directions. You can select from English, French, Spanish, Korean, Japanese, and Chinese audible languages. The volume of the voice prompts can be increased with increases in speed to overcome road noise. Voice guidance can be turned off if you prefer.
- Safety Alert: This function can warn you when you approach road safety cameras, school zones, or railroad crossings (if available). You can also add your own alert points. Beeps or the spoken type of alert will be heard when you are approaching of these points.
- Speed Limit Warning: Some maps may contain information about the speed limits of certain road segments. The NZ503 provides an audible warning if you exceed the recommended speed limit.
Where Am I?: This screen contains information about the current position (or approximately the last known position if GPS reception is not available) and a button to search for POIs nearby.
Find Menu: The Find Menu gives you many different ways to choose your destination or insert a waypoint in your current route. An on-screen keyboard appears to allow you to enter your destination from one of the following categories:
|Find on Map||Search for a destination by scrolling the map display.|
|Home||Store and easily recall your home address.|
|Find Address||Enter full/partial address, or Search for a city (central location), or Search for the intersection of two roads.|
|Find Places||Search for over 15,000,000 points-of-interest (POIs) by name, phone #, or category; search near your current location, in a specific city, along your current route, or near your destination.|
|Favorites||Store your favorite locations for easy recall.|
|History||Destinations that you have set previously|
|Coordinates||Enter geographic coordinates (latitude & longitude).|
|Phone Number||Select a destination by entering phone #.|
|Photo||Select locations from geotagged JPEG photos from an inserted USB or SD/SDHC memory device.|
|Waypoints||You can add intermediate destinations along your main route.|
Route Calculation: The Clarion NZ503 calculates your route based on your Vehicle Type, Route Method, and Avoidances.
- Vehicle Type: You select what type of vehicle you are driving, so the navigation unit can determine the best route based on your vehicle type (Car, Truck, Emergency, Bus, or Taxi).
- Route Method: You can
choose which route method (Fastest, Shortest, Green, Economical, or Easy) the navigation
unit should use when calculating your route.
- Fastest: give a quick route, if you can travel at or near the speed limit on all roads. Usually the best section for fast and normal cars
- Shortest: gives a route that has the smallest total distance of all possible routes. It can be practical for slow vehicles
- Green: gives a quick, but full efficient route based on the fuel consumption data you provide
- Economical: combines the benefits of Fast and Short; calculates as if it were calculating the Fast route, but it takes other roads as well to save fuel
- Easy: results in a route with fewer turns and no difficult maneuvers
- Avoidances: You can tell the navigation unit to avoid certain types of roads along your calculated route, such as - Highways, Tolls, Carpool/HOV, Unpaved Roads, and/or Ferries.
Vehicle Profile: You can create a vehicle profile for your car, truck, or SUV. Enter the following parameters for your vehicle - Fuel Consumption (avg. fuel consumption of your vehicle in city and rural areas), Engine Type (engine and fuel type), Fuel Price (avg. fuel price for travel cost calculation), Max Speed (max speed you travel), Weight, and Dimensions (length x width x height).
Trip Logs: Trip logs contain useful information about your trip. Trip logs can be saved manually when you reach your destination or automatically along your route. Trip log data includes - Start/End Time, Avg./Max. Speed, Total/Driving/Stopped Time, Total Distance, and Min./Max. Altitude.
Automatic Route Recalculation: The unit will automatically recalculate your route if you stray from the navigation unit's previously calculated route.
Route Simulation: You can preview all the route information and simulate travel along a projected route.
Calculator: The calculator allows you to perform simple arithmetic.
Bluetooth Technology (powered by Parrot): The Clarion NZ503 is equipped with built-in Bluetooth ver. 2.0+EDR (powered by Parrot), allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit.
Bluetooth Profiles: In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.5 (Hands Free Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.2 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.4 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Clarion NZ503. Visit Clarion Bluetooth Support for complete list of compatible phones and players.
Pairing: Before using your Bluetooth enabled device, it must be paired to the NZ503. You can register up to three Bluetooth enabled cell-phones with the Clarion in-dash head unit (only one paired phone can be used at a time).
Hands-Free Communication: The NZ503 supports Bluetooth hands-free communication from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. The NZ503 can be set to automatically answer your incoming calls and mute any music audio to your vehicle's speakers so you can instantly carry on a phone conversation hands-free. An integrated front-panel microphone carries on your side of the conversation while your car's speakers are used to hear the other person. You can make a call by entering the phone number, selecting a contact from your Phonebook list, or using the Call History Log of received/dialed/missed calls.
- Answering A Call: During an incoming call, the caller's phone number will be seen on the unit's LCD and a ring-tone will be heard through your car stereo speakers. You can then manually answer the incoming call from the head unit's front-panel controls. You can also set the unit to automatically answer an incoming call within 5 seconds.
- Making A Call: You can make a call using the Clarion
in-dash head unit's front-panel controls.
- Direct Dial: Outgoing calls can be made be entering telephone numbers (0-9, *, #, +) directly via the head unit's touchscreen.
- Phonebook: You can search for contact names in your mobile phone's phonebook from the Clarion NZ503 and then make your call. The head unit can store up to 500 contact numbers.
- Call Log: You can also make a call by searching your mobile phone's call history (Received/Dialed/Missed) from the Clarion NZ503.
- Redial: You can simply redial the last number dialed with a press of a single button on the in-dash head unit.
Integrated Microphone (optional External Mic): The Clarion NZ503 features an integrated front-panel microphone to carry on your side of a conversation during a Bluetooth phone call. You can adjust the microphone gain (+/-5) for each paired mobile phone device. The Clarion RCB-204 (sold separately) is an external microphone which can be connected to Clarion NZ503. The external microphone provides better performance in noisy environments than the integrated microphone found on the front-panel of the head unit. The microphone features an attached 13.25' cord terminated by a right-angle male 3.5mm connector which plugs into the microphone input on the rear-chassis of your compatible Clarion head unit. The microphone also features an integrated sun-visor clip for mounting the external microphone in your vehicle. The integrated bracket allows the microphone to swivel left-to-right and rotate up-or-down.
Wireless Audio Streaming (w/ Metadata Display): The Clarion NZ503 also supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth enabled audio player or smartphone. The NZ503 will be able to control basic playback functions of your Bluetooth device's stored music; such as Play/Pause, Skip Next/Previous, Fast Forward/Rewind and Random/Repeat. The head unit will also display your stored music's song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title. The NZ503 also supports audio streaming of music apps downloaded on your smartphone with metadata display and limited control. Advanced music control of your music apps will still need be done via your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone. When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
AM/FM Tuner: The Clarion NZ503 is equipped with a built-in AM/FM tuner. The NZ503 offers Seek, Manual, and Preset tuning. The NZ503's built-in AM/FM tuner features 3 FM bands and 1 AM band. You can store up to 6 presets in each bands, allowing you to store 24 FM and 12 AM preset stations. You can manually store your favorite presets or have the NZ503 automatically store the strongest stations for you. The Preset Scan function receives the stations stored in the units' preset memory in order. The unit scans each station for 10 seconds sequentially. This function is useful when searching for the desired station in memory. You can also store one radio station in Instant Station Recall (ISR) memory and recall it from any mode (except Power Off). Once the ISR station has been recalled, you cannot tune to another station without first disengaging the ISR function (you can, however, switch to another source). When Local seeking is turned "On", only those radio stations with strong radio signal can be received.
Pandora App: The Pandora App (free) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Clarion NZ503 using your connected Apple iPhone, via the USB/Dock cable supplied with your iPhone. The Clarion NZ503 provides control over the Pandora music service and displays Artist, Album, and Song information; as well as Album Art. You can select Pandora stations from your station list and sort them by date or alphabetically (A-Z). Or, you can create a new station from the current playing artist or song. You can also skip song tracks within a station. You can even give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down. To access Pandora you must have an Apple iPhone (iOS3 or later) with the latest version of the Pandora application from Apple's iTunes App Store. Your iPhone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. You will also need a Pandora music service account.
Note: Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
SiriusXM Ready: The Clarion NZ503 comes ready for SiriusXM programming with access to XM & Sirius Satellite Radio stations. Thanks to its proprietary SiriusXM Connect port, you can add the optional SXV200V1 SiriusXM Connect tuner and receive more than 150 channels of exclusive programming directly from SiriusXM, via the "SiriusXM All Access" package (subscription required). Visit SiriusXM.com for a complete list of subscription options & channel guide. Additional features of the SXV200 SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's display
- Category Search feature lets you search for channels within a certain genre or category
- Up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets
- Artist/Song Alert notifies you when your favorite artist or song is playing
- Replay feature lets you pause, fast-forward, or rewind up to 30 minutes of live content
- iTunes Tagging for your connected iPod or iPhone
- Channels containing content unsuitable for children can be blocked
Note: SiriusXM Satellite Radio operates on the XM Network. However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
Multimedia Playback: The Clarion NZ503 offers a front-loading disc slot and rear-panel USB port (attached to rear-chassis by 42" cable)
- Disc Compatibility: The Clarion NZ503 has a front-loading disc-slot to make loading your disc easier. The NZ503 supports playback of DVD-Video, DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW, CD-Audio, CD-Text, and CD-R/RW discs.
- USB Port: The Clarion navigation-multimedia head unit features a rear-panel USB type-A port (attached to rear chassis by 42" cable) that allows you to connect a portable USB mass-storage class (MSC) device - such as select portable digital audio players or USB thumbdrives. USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the DVD receiver's USB port (5V/1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Note: The unit's USB port does not support connection to Android OS devices.
Compatible Media Files: The Clarion NZ503 supports the following types of audio, video, and photo files recorded onto a disc or loaded onto a USB mass storage class device.
|Media Type||Disc (CD-R/RW or DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW)||USB (MSC)|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2||FAT 12/16/32|
|Playable File Types||Audio||MP3: bit rate
of 32-320kbps w/ sampling rates of 32, 44.1, or 48kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 64-192kbps w/ sampling rates of 32, 44.1, or 48kHz
|MP3: bit rate
of 32-320kbps w/ sampling rates of 32, 44.1, or 48kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 64-192kbps w/ sampling rates of 32, 44.1, or 48kHz
|Video||MPEG4/MPEG2: picture resolution of 720 x 480||MPEG4/MPEG2/H.264: picture resolution of 480 x 272|
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||255 folders/1,500 files (255 files per folder)||65,535 files and folders|
|Tags||MP3 ID3-tags (ver. 1.0/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA-tags, AAC-tags|
Electronic Skip Protection: The Clarion NZ503provides electronic skip protection for your CD-Audio discs (10-seconds), as well as your discs containing MP3 (45-seconds) and WMA (90-seconds) audio files.
Playback Operations: The Clarion NZ503 offers the following playback & search functions for disc and USB.
- Track List: This function allows you to select audio tracks from a displayed list of tracks on a disc or within in a folder.
- Direct Search : You can locate the beginning of a movie scene using the time, chapter numbers, or title numbers recorded on a DVD video disc. You can also select a specific MP3/WMA track from a disc or USB device.
- Skip Search: Chapters or Tracks are skipped down or up from the current location, as many times as the key is pressed, and then playback starts.
- Fast Forward/Rewind : The NZ503 offers a variable fast forward and rewind function. You can select between 2x, 4x, 8x, or 16x.
- Scan: The first 10 seconds of each music track on the disc is played.
- Repeat: This operation plays back chapters, titles, or tracks recorded on a disc repeatedly. You can also select A-B repeat in order to repeat a desired passage of video on DVD disc.
- Shuffle: This function allows you to randomly playback audio tracks or files recorded on a disc.
Switching Angles: On DVD disc in which video images have been recorded in two or more angle, you can switch among the angles during playback.
Parental Lock: You can set and change the level of parental lock. This function allows cutting scenes that are unfavorable for children or replacing them automatically with other scenes prepared in advance. There are 5 levels of parental lock that are protected by a custom user 4-digit password.
Off Eject w/ Auto Reload: You can eject a disc with the unit off. You cannot insert a disc with the unit off. If a disc is left in the ejected position for 15 seconds, the disc is automatically reloaded.
Mounting Angle: For proper disc playback, you must install the unit within 30-degrees of horizontal.
iPod/iPhone Connectivity: The Clarion NZ503 navigation-multimedia head unit supports both audio/video playback from a compatible iPod or iPhone.
- Audio/Video Playback: Using the optional Clarion CCA-750 iPod/iPhone connector cable (020CCA750, both sold separately), you can enjoy both audio and video content stored on your connected iPod or iPhone device through the Clarion NZ503. You can also listen to your favorite music apps (such as iHeartRadio, SiriusXM, Rhapsody, & Slacker) streamed to your iPhone (iOS 3.0+) through the Clarion head unit, and even watch video on the NZ503's touchscreen from movie apps (such as Netflix & YouTube) downloaded to your iPhone 4/4S (iOS 4.0+). The Clarion CCA-750 iPod/iPhone connector cable plugs into the unit's rear-panel USB port and rear-panel AV input. Video can only be displayed while the vehicle's parking brake is engaged. "Audio Only" is displayed when the vehicle is moving.
- Audio Only Playback: Using the USB/Dock or USB/Lightning cable that comes with your iPod or iPhone, you can enjoy audio content from your connected iPod or iPhone device; including music stored on your iPod/iPhone, as well as music apps streamed to your Apple device. Because the Clarion NZ503 uses its USB connection for audio & control transfer, your iPod/iPhone's stored music is loaded instantly to the head unit and sound quality is maximized through the head unit's 24-bit D/A converter, allowing for a Signal-to-Noise ratio up to 95B.
Note: If you have a newer iPod, iPhone, or iPod with Lightning connector; use the Lighting-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device to connect to the head unit. These Apple devices only support audio playback (no video output).
iPod Control: You can choose to control the iPod/iPhone from the head unit's touchscreen or from your iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen.
- Head Unit: Head Unit mode allows you to browse your iPod/iPhone's music library by Playlist, Artist, Song, Album, Genre, Composer, Audiobook, or Podcast from the Clarion NZ503. You can also browse your iPod/iPhone's video content by Movie, Music Video, TV Show, Video Podcast, or Rental. You can search these categories alphabetically (A-Z). The head unit also supports Repeat (file/all) playback functions of your connected iPod/iPhone. In addition, you can control basic playback functions (such as Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track) of your favorite music apps streamed to your iPhone (iOS 3.0+).
- Simple Control: In Simple Control mode, you can navigate the stored music and videos on your iPod/iPhone from its clickwheel or touchscreen. You can also control basic playback functions (such as Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track) of your favorite music apps streamed to your iPhone (iOS 3.0+). Simple Control mode does not offer control over streamed video apps. Advanced music and video navigation will need to be handled through your connected iPod/iPhone device.
Note: Access to your iPhone's downloaded applications will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet.
Information Display: The Clarion NZ503 will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music and music app information (such as Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song title, Artist name, and Album Art) when in Head Unit mode. The NZ503 will also display song/artist information and Album Art from the Pandora App. It will not display metadata info when in Simple Control mode.
iPod Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. This unit does not charge the iPad. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Clarion NZ503 is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 9/21/2014):
|iPod/iPhone||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||Simple Control||Pandora App||Song/Artist Text||Track Info||Album Art||Phone||Audio|
- *Requires the use of the Lighting-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device to connect to the head unit. These Apple devices only support audio playback (no video output).
- Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
24-bit D/A Converter: The unit's 24-bit D/A converter re-quantizes the 16-bit audio signals from CDs and DVDs as 24-bit data while maintaining the low distortion and high linearity of a 1-bit D/A converter. This allows an expanded dynamic range and clearer reproduction of subtle nuances, for a richer sound when viewing DVDs or listening to CDs.
MOSFET Amplifier: The Clarion NZ503 is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit.
CEA2006 Compliant: The power specifications for the NZ503 are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers. The power output specs for the NZ503 are as follows:
- CEA2006 Specs: 19watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (200 watts total)
6ch/4V RCA Output: The Clarion NZ503 features 6ch/4V RCA line level outputs (Front/Rear/Sub). The non-fading subwoofer preamp output features an independent level control (0-14) and phase adjustment (normal/reverse). You can turn the NZ503's built-in amplifier off to improve the quality of the sound from the head unit's preamp outputs.
Built-in Crossovers: The Clarion NZ503 is equipped with built-in low-pass and high-pass crossovers.
- Low-Pass Subwoofer Filter: The Low-Pass Filter (LPF) for the subwoofer preamp output will send only the low frequency range through the preamp outputs to ensure superb performance with a connected subwoofer. The low-pass filter can be set to 62Hz, 95Hz, 135Hz, or Through (full-range).
- High-Pass Filter: The NZ503 features a High-Pass Filter (HPF) for the unit's front & rear channels, via speaker-output or preamp-output. You can adjust the high-pass filter from 55Hz, 85Hz, 120Hz, or Through (full-range). The HPF prevents low bass notes from distorting your front & rear speakers. The high-pass filter setting effects both the front & rear channels of the head unit.
BeatEQ: BeatEQ lets you tune the sound to your liking, depending on the category of music, for a more fulfilling listening experience. The Clarion CD receiver provides 4 preset EQ curves (Bass Boost, Impact, Excite, Off) and 1 custom EQ curve. Bass Boost emphasizes the bass portion of your music; Impact emphasizes the bass & treble portions of your music; Excite emphasizes bass, midrange & treble portions of your music; while Flat sets the bass, midrange, & treble to 0. The Custom EQ lets you freely customize the frequency, Q-factor, and level of the bass, midrange, & treble.
|BeatEQ (Custom Mode)||Frequency||Q-Factor||Level|
|Bass||50Hz, 100Hz, 200Hz||0.7, 1, 1.4, 2.0||-7 to + 7 dB|
|Midrange||500Hz, 1kHz, 2kHz|
|Treble||5kHz, 10kHz, 15kHz|
Note: BeatEQ settings are applied to all sources.
Magna Bass EX (Extend): The Magna Bass Extend feature does not adjust the low frequencies like the normal sound adjustment function, but emphasizes the deep bass frequencies to provide you with a dynamic sound. This circuit boosts bass at an ultra-low frequency of about 50Hz, creating a rich, deep, defined bass rather than the muddy, booming bass of a standard loudness control. What is more, boost levels are dependent on the system volume, resulting in balanced system response and dynamic bass reproduction.
Dual AV Inputs: The Clarion NZ503 is equipped with AV input terminals on the front and rear of the unit to enable enjoyment of content from an external connected source. The rear composite video/stereo RCA inputs are ideal for permanent installations, while the front AV mini-jack (3.5mm) input will come in handy for quick connection of a portable audio/visual source.
Audio/Video Output (with Dual Zone): The NZ503 features a rear-panel composite video/stereo RCA audio output that allows you to connect an external display and headphone system in the rear of your vehicle. You can playback audio/video content from a Disc, iPod/iPhone, or AV 1/2 Input on a rear-seat monitor system; while viewing a different audio/video source on the navigation-multimedia head unit.
Camera Input: The Camera Input consists of a Composite video RCA jack for connecting an optional rear-view back-up camera. This RCA input enables you to connect a rear-view camera to display the area behind your vehicle. The increased view encourages and facilitates safer driving. When an optional rearview camera is connected to this unit, the rear view image is displayed on the screen when your vehicle is placed in reverse gear (purple/white wire of harness must be connected to reverse light wire of vehicle). Automatic video switching takes approximately 1.7 seconds. Audio from your music source will continue playing, while the back-up camera is displayed.
Wireless Remote Control: In addition to the unit's touchscreen and hard-key controls, the NZ503 comes supplied with an IR remote control for wireless operation of the navigation-multimedia receiver and your connected devices (no Bluetooth Phone functionality). The remote control operates off of a single CR2025 Lithium-cell 3V battery (included).
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately).
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
33 questions already asked