About the Clarion VX404
Seamless smartphone connectivity
Seamless smartphone connectivity
Clarion's VX404 DVD receiver helps solve a vexing problem in this world of hand-held mobile devices — how can I integrate my smartphone effectively and seamlessly into my car audio system? Clarion's made things a lot easier by giving you an HDMI input on the VX404. HDMI inputs offer the best connectivity between some of the newest generation smartphones and your receiver. In some cases, you can even display select apps on the receiver's screen, or display navigation app info while you continue listening to your favorite tunes. And you can watch video from your smartphone apps when the parking brake is engaged.
Remember, your degree of interconnectivity depends on which smartphone you have and which apps are compatible with this receiver. You may need other connection options depending on your phone and what you want to do. So check out our "Details" tab to make sure you can use your phone with this Clarion.
Bluetooth® adds more to the mix
The VX404's built-in Bluetooth provides hands-free voice communication, and the receiver features a built-in microphone to simplify installation. When you want to listen to some music or your favorite podcast, you can stream it wirelessly from your phone or portable audio player. Using your phone is a snap, thanks to a quick and easy pairing process — set up your phone once and you're done.
What else does it do?
The VX404 boasts built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming.
Everything doesn't revolve around your smartphone (well almost everything), so the VX404 has some other cool tricks up its sleeve. You can connect your iPod®, iPhone®, or select Android™ device to the rear USB port to access and control your music. You can control Pandora® from the receiver's touchscreen controls when your iPhone is connected via USB, or your Android via Bluetooth.
You can play your CDs and DVDs, including discs loaded with compressed music as well as FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) audio files. And you can also enjoy tunes stored on USB drives or microSD cards. Video performance is top-notch and even supports high-quality H.264 video files. Clarion's thoughtfully added dual-zone audio, so rear seat passengers can enjoy a DVD movie or iPod Video while you listen to the radio or music from the USB input up front.
Looks aren't everything...
...but they count for a lot. The VX404 boasts selectable wallpaper backgrounds, and the choice of 728 different colors for the controls, so it'll be a perfect match for the instrument panel color scheme in your car. And the VX404's interactive touch screen works just like your smartphone, plus it's customizable so you can drag and drop the menu icons to suit your style.
Want to keep your steering wheel controls?
In most cars, you'll need an adapter to retain those controls with a new car stereo. Check “Details” for more information, and the "Accessories" tab for compatible adapters. If you're not sure if you need an adapter, call, chat, or email an Advisor for help determining what you'll need for your vehicle.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
- DVD/CD receiver with AM/FM receiver
- built-in internal amp (20 watts RMS CEA-2006/45 peak x 4 channels)
- 6.2" touchscreen with customizable display
- Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- built-in Bluetooth microphone
- 728 illumination color options
- fits double-DIN dash openings
- remote control
Smartphone Features (see Details for info on compatibility with specific smartphones and apps)
- built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad control
- playback and control through USB of music files on compatible Android devices
- select app compatibility via HDMI input
- Pandora Internet radio control with iPhone and Android
- plays audio/video content from CDs, DVDs, USB memory devices, and microSD cards (see Details tab for full capabilities)
- Beat EQ 3-band parametric equalizer with 4 preset EQ curves
- high- and low-pass filters
- dual-zone audio control
- inputs: front and rear A/V inputs, rear HDMI input, front microSD card slot, rear USB input, rear-view camera input
- outputs: video output, 6-channel preamp outputs (2-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
What's in the box:
- DVD receiver (w/ 6.2" touchscreen monitor)
- Wiring harness
- Preamp/AV harness
- Remote control (CR2025 3V battery installed in remote) HDMI connector bracket
- 8 Counter-sunk ISO screws
- 8 Hex-head ISO screws
- 2 Wire splice taps (Red)
- Owner's Manual on CD-ROM
- Quick Start Guide/Installation Manual
- Warranty Card
Clarion VX404 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Clarion VX404
Features & specs
|AUX Input||Mini (front), RCA (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||HDMI (rear), RCA (rear), Mini (front)|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||USB, microSD|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||20 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||45 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||8 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA, AAC, FLAC|
|Second Camera Input Lane Watch||N|
6.2" Touchscreen TFT Display: The Clarion VX404 has an integrated 6.2" TFT widescreen display with touchscreen controls. The display provides a high-resolution video monitor for watching your DVD videos. The screen has a resolution of 800 x 480 (RGB) and 1,152,000 total pixels. The unit's touchscreen panel features interactive controls making menu navigation easy.
- Touchscreen GUI w/ Flick Control: The GUI (Graphical User Interface) shows large icons that are highly visible and easily recognizable at a glance. The VX404 touchscreen responds to your finger gestures just as your smartphone screen would. You are able to drag & drop icons into different positions to customize the screen. The touchscreen also supports flick operation, so you can quickly scroll to another menu page.
- Short Cut Menu: The unit has a main menu for using all functions and a shortcut menu that groups together frequently used functions. Use of the shortcut menu allows you to quickly access frequently used functions Up to five frequently used functions can be registered to the shortcut menu.
Variable Button Illumination (728 colors): Since the vast majority of functions are controllable from the touchscreen, there are only four physical buttons (including a rotary dial) on the unit for the most basic and commonly-used functions. You can set the head unit's button illumination to 1 of 9 preset colors or have the unit scan through all the preset colors. You can also select three custom user colors by adjusting red, green, and blue values.
Dimmer & Brightness Control: The receiver's display automatically dims to a preset brightness when the vehicle's headlights are turned on. The wiring harness includes an orange/white lead that should be connected to the vehicle's parking light circuit in order for the dimmer feature to operate. You can also manually adjust the unit's Day & Night display brightness from 0-20.
Parking Brake Detection: To prevent the displaying of video while the vehicle is in motion, the bright green wire in the supplied wiring harness must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. While the vehicle is in motion (parking brake off), you can still view all of the other displays and menus. Video can only displayed when the vehicle's parking brake is engaged. If you try to view video with the vehicle in motion, the head unit will simply display "CAUTION! Video is disabled for your safety".
2-DIN Chassis: The Clarion VX404 has a 2-DIN chassis (also known as "Double-DIN"), and will fit in many vehicles with a large dash opening. The unit can be ISO-mounted using your vehicle's factory radio brackets and the supplied hardware. There is also an optional custom double-DIN sleeve (0202DBKT, sold separately) available for this unit that will allow you to mount the VX404 in a custom 4" opening. As always, please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to verify fit with your vehicle.
Anti-Theft Code: You may program the unit with a 4 digit security code. Once the unit has been programmed with a security code, the code must be entered to use the unit after it has been disconnected from power.
Bluetooth Technology: The Clarion VX404 is equipped with built-in Bluetooth (ver. 2.1+EDR), allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.5 (Hands Free Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile), HSP 1.0 (Headset Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.2 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.4 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Clarion VX404. Visit Clarion Bluetooth Support for complete list of compatible phones and players.
SPP (Secure Simple Pairing): With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the Clarion VX404 without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. Once a device is paired, the registered Bluetooth device will automatically connect to the receiver when it is in close proximity (up to 30') to the receiver. You can register up to five Bluetooth-enabled devices with the Clarion head unit (only one paired phone can be used at a time).
Hands-Free Communication: The VX404 supports Bluetooth hands-free communication from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone (such as your iPhone or Android smartphone). The VX404 can be set to automatically answer your incoming calls and mute any music audio to your vehicle's speakers so you can instantly carry on a phone conversation hands-free. An integrated front-panel microphone carries on your side of the conversation while your car's speakers are used to hear the other person. You can make a call by entering the phone number, selecting a contact from your Phonebook list, or using the Call History Log of received/dialed/missed calls.
- Answering A Call: During an incoming call, the caller's phone number will be seen on the unit's LCD and a ring-tone will be heard through your car stereo speakers. You can then manually answer the incoming call from the head unit's front-panel controls. You can also set the unit to automatically answer an incoming call within 5 seconds.
- Making A Call: You can make a call using the Clarion in-dash head unit's front-panel controls (with or without the parking brake engaged). Outgoing calls can be made by entering telephone numbers (0-9, *, #, +) directly via the head unit's touchscreen. You can also search for contact names in your mobile phone's phonebook from the Clarion VX404 and then make your call; the head unit can store up to 500 contact numbers. In addition, you can make a call by searching your mobile phone's call history (Received/Dialed/Missed) from the Clarion VX404.
Wireless Audio Streaming (w/ Advanced Music Navigation): The Clarion VX404 can stream & control music from your Bluetooth A2DP/AVRCP mobile device (such as your iPhone or Android smartphone). You'll be able to stream stored music and music apps on your mobile device to the VX404 receiver. The unit offers basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip, & Random/Repeat) for stored music and music apps. In addition, the VX404 provides a Track List of the stored music on your smartphone (AVRCP 1.4 phones only) and even offers Playlist/Artist/Album/Song/Genre/etc. browsing for stored music on your iPod/iPhone (iOS 6.0+); as a result you can find your music much quicker. The head unit will also display your stored music and music app song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title.
Note: When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
Disc Compatibility: The Clarion VX404 has a front-loading disc-slot to make loading your disc easier. The VX404 supports playback of DVD-Video, DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW, CD-Audio, and CD-R/RW discs. The head unit supports a variety of audio/video files recorded onto DVD or CD.
microSD-Card Slot: The VX404 features a front-panel microSD-card slot for playback of a variety of audio & video files stored on a microSD (up to 4GB) or microSDHC (up to 32GB) memory card.
USB Port: The Clarion multimedia head unit features a rear-panel USB type-A port (attached to rear chassis by a 42" cable) that allows you to connect a portable USB mass-storage class (MSC) device; such as select Android devices (Froyo/Gingerbread 2.2+ OS only), digital audio players, and thumbdrives. The unit supports a variety of music and movie files recorded onto USB. USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the DVD receiver's USB port (5V/1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Compatible Media Files: The Clarion VX404 supports the following types of music and movie files recorded onto a disc or loaded onto a USB mass storage class device or microSD/SDHC memory card.
|Media Type||Disc (CD-R/RW or DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW)||Flash (USB, microSD/SDHC)|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2||FAT 16/32|
|Playable File Types||Audio||MP3: bit rate of
32-320kbps w/ sampling frequency of 8-48kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 32-320kbps w/ sampling frequency of 32-48kHz
AAC: bit rate of 32-320kbps w/ sampling frequency of 32-48kHz
|MP3: bit rate of
8-320kbps w/ sampling frequency of 8-48kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 32-192kbps w/ sampling frequency of 32-48kHz
AAC: bit rate of 32-192kbps w/ sampling frequency of 32-48kHz
FLAC: bit rate of 16 or 24 bits w/ sampling frequency of 44.1-192kHz
max resolution of 720 x 480 |
AVI: max resolution of 720 x 480
MPEG4: max resolution of 720 x 480
MPEG2: max resolution of 720 x 480
resolution of 1920 x 1080 |
MPEG2: max resolution of 720 x 480
AVC/H.264: max resolution of 720 x 480
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||200 folders/1500 files (200 files per folder)||65,535 folders/65,535 files|
|Tags||MP3 ID3-tags (ver. 1.0/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA-tags, AAC-tags, & Album Art|
Playback Operations: The Clarion VX404 offers the following playback & search functions for disc, microSD/SDHC, and USB.
- Track List: This function allows you to select audio tracks from a displayed list of tracks on a disc, or within in a folder of a USB device or microSD/SDHC memory card.
- Direct Search: You can locate the beginning of a movie scene using the time, chapter numbers, or title numbers recorded on a DVD video disc. You can also select a specific MP3/WMA/AAC track from a disc, USB device, or microSD/SDHC memory card.
- Skip Search: Chapters or Tracks are skipped down or up from the current location, as many times as the key is pressed, and then playback starts.
- Fast Forward/Rewind: The VX404 offers a variable fast forward and rewind function. You can select between 2x, 4x, 8x, or 16x.
- Scan: The first 10 seconds of each music track on the disc, microSD/SDHC, or USB device is played.
- Repeat/Random: You can play back chapters, titles, or tracks recorded on a disc repeatedly. You can also randomly playback audio tracks or files recorded on a disc, microSD/SDHC, or USB device.
Parental Lock: You can set and change the level of parental lock. This function allows cutting scenes that are unfavorable for children or replacing them automatically with other scenes prepared in advance. There are seven levels of parental lock that are protected by a custom user 4-digit password.
Off Insert/Eject + Auto Reload: You can insert or eject a disc with the unit off. If a disc is left in the ejected position for 10 seconds, the disc is automatically reloaded.
Mounting Angle: For proper disc playback, you must install the unit within 30-degrees of horizontal.
iPod/iPhone AV Playback: The Clarion VX404 supports direct connection of your 30-pin or Lightning-connector through its rear-panel USB port, rear-panel AV input, and rear-panel HDMI connector. The VX404 offers audio/video playback, music navigation, information display, and charging of select Apple devices. The Clarion VX404's USB or HDMI connection allows your iPod/iPhone's music library to be loaded instantly to the Clarion receiver and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 24-bit D/A converter (bypassing iPod/iPhone DAC).
- 30-Pin Dock Connector: If you own an older iPod/iPhone with the 30-pin dock connector, you can enjoy audio and video files on your Apple device through the Clarion VX404. Using Clarion's proprietary CCA-750 iPod/iPhone Video cable (020CCA750, sold separately), you can enjoy audio playback of your stored music on your iPod/iPhone and music apps on your iPhone; plus video playback of your stored movies on your iPod/iPhone and video apps on your iPhone through the Clarion VX404. If you only desire audio playback, you can simply use the dock connector-to-USB cable that comes with your Apple device to connect your iPod/iPhone to the VX404.
- Lightning Connector: If you have a newer iPod/iPhone with the Lightning-connector, you can use the Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device to connect your iPod/iPhone to the Clarion VX404 for audio playback only. You'll be able to listen to stored music and music apps on your Lightning-connector Apple device through the Clarion DVD receiver. To watch stored video and video apps (like Netflix) in addition to music from your Lightning-connector Apple device on the VX404, you'll need Apple's Lightning-to-Digital AV adapter, a Lightning-to-USB cable, and a mobile-grade HDMI cable; such as Clarion's CCA770 HDMI cable (all sold separately) - this type of connection also requires Bluetooth pairing.
Note: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. This unit does not charge the iPad. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then this unit will not recognize it.
iPod/iPhone Operation Modes: The Clarion VX404 lets you control your iPod/iPhone from the head unit's touchscreen, your iPod/iPhone's touchscreen/clickwheel, or a downloaded app.
- iPod Control + Song/Artist Information: In iPod Control Mode, the Clarion VX404 allows you to browse your iPod/iPhone's music library by Playlist, Artist, Song, Album, Genre, Composer, Audiobook, or Podcast from its touchscreen monitor. You can also browse your iPod/iPhone's video content by Movie, Music Video, TV Show, Video Podcast, or Rental. Content in each category is listed alphabetically. The head unit also supports basic playback functions such as Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next Track, and Repeat/Random of your connected iPod/iPhone. Newer iPod/iPhones with iOS 6.0+ also allow you to navigate stored music and movies, as well as access music and movie apps from the Apple device's touchscreen; older iPod/iPhone devices will be locked during connection. During iPod Control Mode, the receiver will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music file information; including Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song Title, Artist/Album Name, and Album Art. The VX404 will also display song/artist information, station identification, and Album Art from select music apps in iPod Control Mode.
- Simple Control Mode: In Simple Control Mode, you can navigate stored music and music apps on your iPod/iPhone from its clickwheel or touchscreen. Music browsing is disabled from the head unit's touchscreen; you'll still be able to control basic playback functions from the head unit, such as Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track. There is no song/artist information or Album Art in this mode and video content cannot be output to the receiver's touchscreen. The head unit will simple display "Simple Control Mode". Not all apps will be compatible.
Note: Access to your iPhone's downloaded applications will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet.
HDMI Mode: The Clarion VX404's HDMI mode and rear-panel HDMI input can be used to connect select Android or Apple iOS devices for mirroring and audio/video playback through the receiver. You can listen to stored music and music apps (like iHeartRadio), as well as view stored video and video apps (like Netflix). The head unit's touchscreen will display the same screen which is displayed on your smartphone, as well as navigation and video, only when your vehicle's parking brake is engaged (not always full-screen). Audio content can be heard without the parking brake engaged, but the unit will only display "Caution! Video is disabled for your safety". You cannot perform operation of the Android or Apple iOS device from the head unit's touchscreen; you will still need to use your mobile phone's touchscreen for operation. The following proprietary connector cables are required for Android or Apple iOS connectivity:
- iPhone Connectivity: If you have a newer iPhone with the Lightning connector, you will need Apple's Lightning Digital AV adapter and Lightning-to-USB cable; if you have an older 30-pin iPhone 4/4S, you'll need a 30-pin digital AV adapter and the 30-pin dock cable (all sold separately). In addition, for both types of iPhones, you will need a a mobile-grade HDMI cable (such as Clarion's CCA770, sold separately). The HDMI connector provides the audio/video playback, while the USB connection charges your iPhone device.
- Android Connectivity: The head unit's HDMI port is MHL compatible; this means you can simply connect your MHL-compatible Android smartphone to the receiver via a MHL-to-HDMI cable; such as Clarion's CCA771 HDMI-to-microHDMI cable (sold separately). The Samsung Galaxy S3/4/5 and Note II/III requires an additional 3rd party MHL microUSB 5-pin to 11-pin adapter (sold separately). The HDMI connector provides audio/video playback and charging of your Android smartphone's battery. Check here for a list of compatible MHL-enabled Android phones.
Note: Your vehicle's parking brake must be engaged for the head unit to display video from your smartphone device or "mirror" your smartphone device's screen. Control of your smartphone must still be done from your smartphone's touchscreen (not the head unit).
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Clarion VX404 is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 9/29/2014):
Apple Device Generation Tested Version Media Type Control Type Display Type Bluetooth Charge Audio Video Head Unit iPod/iPhone Pandora App Album Art Song/Artist Text Track Info Phone Audio iPhone 2G 3.1.3 Y Y Y Y N Y Y Y Y N Y 3G 4.2.1 Y Y Y Y N Y Y Y Y Y Y 3GS 5.1.1 Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y 4 7.1.2 Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y 4S 8.0 Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y 5/5C/5S 8.0 Y Y* Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y 6/6+ 8.0 Y Y* Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y touch 1st 2.2.1 Y Y Y Y N Y Y Y N N Y 2nd 4.2.1 Y Y Y Y N Y Y Y N Y Y 3rd 5.1.1 Y Y Y Y N Y Y Y N Y Y 4th 6.1.3 Y Y Y Y N Y Y Y N Y Y 5th 8.0 Y Y* Y Y N Y Y Y N Y Y nano 2nd 1.1.3 Y N Y Y N Y Y Y N N Y 3rd 1.1.3 Y Y Y Y N Y Y Y N N Y 4th 1.0.4 Y Y Y Y N Y Y Y N N Y 5th 1.0.2 Y Y Y Y N Y Y Y N N Y 6th 1.2 PC Y N Y Y N Y Y Y N N Y 7th 1.02 PC Y Y* Y Y N Y Y Y N Y Y classic 80GB 1.1.2 Y Y Y Y N Y Y Y N N Y 120GB 2.0.1 Y Y Y Y N Y Y Y N N Y 160GB 2.0.4 Y Y Y Y N Y Y Y N N Y iPad 1 5.1.1 Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y N Y N 2 8.0 Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y N Y N 3 8.0 Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y N Y N 4/air 8.0 Y Y* Y Y Y Y Y Y N Y N mini 8.0 Y Y* Y Y Y Y Y Y N Y Y
- *Requires Apple's Lightning-to-Digital AV adapter, a Lightning-to-USB cable, and mobile-grade HDMI cable; like Clarion's CCA770 HDMI cable (all sold separately).
- Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
AM/FM Tuner: The Clarion VX404 is equipped with a built-in AM/FM tuner. The VX404 offers Seek, Manual, and Preset tuning. The VX404's built-in AM/FM tuner features 3 FM bands and 1 AM band. You can store up to 6 presets in each bands, allowing you to store 18 FM and 6 AM preset stations. You can manually store your favorite presets or have the VX404 automatically store the strongest stations for you. The Preset Scan feature receives the stations stored in the units' preset memory in order and scans each station for 10 seconds sequentially; this function is useful when searching for the desired station in memory. When "Local" seeking is turned On, only those radio stations with strong radio signal can be received.
Pandora App (for iPhone/Android): The free Pandora App (either from iTunes Apps or Google Play) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Clarion VX404 using your USB-connected or Bluetooth-paired Apple iPhone (iOS 5.0+); as well as your Bluetooth-paired Android smartphone. Your compatible mobile device will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. You will also need a Pandora music service account. The VX404 provides control over the Pandora music service and displays Artist, Album, and Song information, as well as Album Art.
- Station List: You can select Pandora stations from your Station List by date or alphabetically (A-Z). You can also choose to randomly playback songs from all your registered stations.
- Create New Station: New stations can be created based on the current songs or artists playing on Pandora.
- Skip Songs: You can skip song tracks within a station. You cannot skip back to a previous song. Pandora limits the number of skips allowed.
- Thumbs Up/Down: You can give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Pandora personalize stations to suit your preferences.
- Bookmarking: The song or artist currently being played can be bookmarked & stored in your Pandora account.
Note: Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone/Android to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada & only available in the United States.
24-bit D/A Converter: The unit's 24-bit D/A converter re-quantizes the 16-bit audio signals from CDs and DVDs as 24-bit data while maintaining the low distortion and high linearity of a 1-bit D/A converter. This allows an expanded dynamic range and clearer reproduction of subtle nuances, for a richer sound when viewing DVDs or listening to CDs.
MOSFET Amplifier: The Clarion VX404 is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit.
- CEA2006 Specs: 20 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Maximum Power Output: 45 watts x 4 channels (180 watts total)
Note: The power specifications for the VX404 are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers.
6ch/2V RCA Output + Sub Level Control: The Clarion VX404 features 6ch/2V RCA line level outputs (Front/Rear/Sub). The non-fading subwoofer preamp output features an independent level control (0-14) and phase adjustment (normal/reverse).
Built-in Crossovers: The Clarion VX404 is equipped with built-in low-pass and high-pass crossovers.
- Low-Pass Subwoofer Filter: The Low-Pass Filter (LPF) for the subwoofer preamp output will send only the low frequency range through the preamp outputs to ensure superb performance with a connected subwoofer. The low-pass filter can be set to 60Hz, 90Hz, 120Hz, or Through (full-range).
- High-Pass Filter: The VX404 features a High-Pass Filter (HPF) for the unit's front & rear channels, via speaker-output or preamp-output. You can adjust the high-pass filter from 60Hz, 90Hz, 120Hz, or Through (full-range). The HPF prevents low bass notes from distorting your front & rear speakers. The high-pass filter setting effects both the front & rear channels of the head unit.
BeatEQ: BeatEQ lets you tune the sound to your liking, depending on the category of music, for a more fulfilling listening experience. The Clarion DVD receiver provides 4 preset EQ curves (Bass Boost, Impact, Excite, Off) and 1 custom EQ curve. Bass Boost emphasizes the bass portion of your music; Impact emphasizes the bass & treble portions of your music; Excite emphasizes bass, midrange & treble portions of your music; while Flat sets the bass, midrange, & treble to 0. The Custom EQ lets you freely customize the frequency, Q-factor, and level of the bass, midrange, & treble.
|BeatEQ (Custom Mode)||Frequency||Q-Factor||Level|
|Bass||50Hz, 100Hz, 200Hz||0.7, 1, 1.4, 2.0||-7 to + 7 dB|
|Midrange||500Hz, 1kHz, 2kHz|
|Treble||5kHz, 10kHz, 15kHz|
Note: BeatEQ settings are applied to all sources.
Magna Bass EX (Extend): The Magna Bass Extend feature does not adjust the low frequencies like the normal sound adjustment function, but emphasizes the deep bass frequencies to provide you with a dynamic sound. This circuit boosts bass at an ultra-low frequency of about 50Hz, creating a rich, deep, defined bass rather than the muddy, booming bass of a standard loudness control. What is more, boost levels are dependent on the system volume, resulting in balanced system response and dynamic bass reproduction.
Beep Tone: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
Dual AV Inputs: The Clarion VX404 is equipped with AV input terminals on the front and rear of the unit to enable enjoyment of content from an external connected source. The rear composite video/stereo RCA inputs are ideal for permanent installations, while the front AV mini-jack (3.5mm) input will come in handy for quick connection of a portable audio/visual source.
HDMI/MHL Input: In addition to iPhone and Android connectivity, the head unit's HDMI/MHL input can be used to connect almost any external mobile AV source with an HDMI output; such as a TV tuner, Blu-ray player, or game system. The HDMI input will provide video and audio playback. Your vehicle's parking brake will need to be engaged to view video on the receiver's screen. Playback functions will need to be controlled from your HDMI-connected device.
Audio/Video Output (with Dual Zone): The VX404 features a rear-panel composite video/stereo RCA audio output that allows you to connect an external display and headphone system in the rear of your vehicle. You can playback audio/video content from a Disc, iPod/iPhone, or AV 1/2 Input on a rear-seat monitor system; while viewing a different or the same audio/video source on the DVD receiver's touchscreen monitor. The head unit's HDMI input is not available in the second zone.
Camera Input: The Camera Input consists of a Composite video RCA jack for connecting an optional rear-view back-up camera (such as the 020CC510, sold separately). This RCA input enables you to connect a rear-view camera to display the area behind your vehicle. The increased view encourages and facilitates safer driving. When an optional rearview camera is connected to this unit, the rear view image is displayed on the screen when your vehicle is placed in reverse gear (purple/white wire of harness must be connected to reverse light wire of vehicle). Automatic video switching takes approximately 3.1 seconds.
Note: Audio from your music source will continue playing, while the back-up camera is displayed.
Wireless Remote Control: In addition to the unit's touchscreen and hard-key controls, the VX404 comes supplied with an IR remote control for wireless operation of the DVD receiver and your connected devices. The remote control operates off of a single CR2025 Lithium-cell 3V battery (included).
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately). Please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to see if your vehicle is compatible.
3 questions already asked