About the Yamaha A-S2200
An excellent integrated amp with plenty of power
An excellent integrated amp with plenty of power
The A-S2200 delivers a robust 90 watts per channel, and it's 4-ohm stable, so it can handle a wide variety of speakers. It offers several features intended to make analog music sources sound superb — balanced and unbalanced inputs, an efficient toroidal transformer, and solid, vibration-resistant construction, to name a few.
If you're a bit nostalgic for the components of the 1970s — I grew up with them and I love the look — you'll appreciate the large level meters illuminated by soft LED light. The switches and knobs on the front panel were meticulously designed to complement the overall visual style of this amp.
Excellent analog connections
These days, it's a bit unusual to see an integrated amp with no digital inputs, but this amp is all about analog goodness. There are five unbalanced RCA inputs on the back, included dedicated inputs for a separate tuner and the analog output of your CD player. There's also a discrete phono stage that lets you connect a turntable with a moving magnet or moving coil cartridge. A set of balanced XLR inputs are available for connecting an audiophile component, too.
The two sets of binding posts might look a little different than what you're used to. They're made of pure brass, and they have a nice "grippy" shape that makes them easier to spin open and closed.
- 90 watts x 2 channels into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.07% THD
- 150 watts x 2 channels into 4 ohms
- 4-ohm capability allows use with a wide range of speakers
- frequency response: 5-100,000 Hz (-3dB)
- signal-to-noise ratio: 110dB (114dB balanced)
- analog level meters illuminated by soft LED light
- large toroidal transformer
- rugged Mechanical Ground Concept construction reduces unwanted vibration
- chrome-plated brass feet
- defeatable auto-power standby
- detachable power cord
- remote control included
- five pairs of unbalanced RCA inputs
- dedicated tuner and CD inputs
- phono stage for connecting a turntable with moving magnet or moving coil cartridge
- line 1 and line 2 inputs
- one pair of balanced XLR inputs with attenuator and phase switches
- RCA main direct input
- no signal output to pre out, line 2 out or phones
- RCA line out lets you use an external power amplifier
- line 2 RCA output
- two pairs of pure brass binding-post speaker connectors
- IR remote control in/out
- 12-volt trigger input
- USB mini Type B service port
- front-panel 1/4" headphone jack with trim control
Dimensions and warranty:
- 17-1/8"W x 6-1/8"H x 18-1/4"D
- weight: 50 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # A-S2200BL
What's in the box:
- Integrated stereo amplifier
- 6.5' AC power cord
- Remote control (RAS35)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Owner's Manual
- Safety Brochure
- Online Product Registation Sheet
- Warranty Information
- "Yamaha Worldwide Representative Offices" Note
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Yamaha A-S2200
Features & specs
|Watts RMS per Channel (8-ohms)||90|
|Watts RMS per Channel (6-ohms)||Not given|
|Watts RMS per Channel (4-ohms)||150|
|Minimum Impedance||4 ohms|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||110|
|Digital Music Features|
|Built-in DAC (Digital to Analog Converter)||No|
|Total Analog Inputs||5|
|Optical Digital Inputs||No|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||No|
|Preamp Outputs||Stereo RCA|
|Dimensions and Warranty|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Floating and Balanced Power Amplifier Technology: The basic design of the power amp circuit adopts Yamaha's own, uniquely developed Floating and Balanced Power Amplifier technology. Adopting output elements with the same polarity on the plus and minus sides of the output stage, and also completely separating the NFB (Negative Feedback) circuit and power supply into total of four plus and minus sides of the left and right channels, results in thoroughly symmetric push-pull operation of the output stage. Completely floating the entire power amp circuit from the ground removes any negative impact of minute voltage fluctuations or ground noise.
- 8-Ohm Rating: 90 watts x 2 channels @ 20 to 20,000 Hz with 0.07% THD
- 4-Ohm Rating: 150 watts x 2 channels @ 20 to 20,000 Hz with 0.07% THD
Toroidal Transformer: A Toroidal power transmformer has been chosen to power the A-S2200 integrated amplifier. Toro Toroidal power transformers are renowned for their superior performance in Hi-Fi components. Its ability to maintain energy when compared to substitutes aids the A-S2200 in delivering all the emotional energy of the artist infused in the music.
Fully Balanced & Symmetrical Design: The fully balanced circuitry used in the A-S2200 yields a number of listening benefits. Delivering impressively low signal-to-noise ratio allows for the perfection of silence - gaps in the music and moments between movements are a pure absence of sound. The design also adds to improved channel separation producing a sound stage that almost makes the entire system disappear, giving the listener the feeling of being in the room with the artist, not the CD or vinyl source. The left & right symmetrical construction with the power supply in the center and the power amp blocks on the ends achieves greater separation of the left and right channels (necessary for proper two-channel stereo reproduction) and ideal weight balance.
Mechanical Ground Concept: The Mechanical Ground Concept adopted in the A-S2200 maximizes rigidity and reduces any unwanted vibration, achieving expressive and rhythmic bass. Further rigidity is achieved with the large power transformer, block capacitors and heat sink directly bolted to the chassis while the feet, with bolts directly welded to the main chassis, provide further reinforcement for absolute rigidity. Thick wires for ground connection were purposely selected, adding to the overall low impedance amplifier design, producing a wide and open sound stage for the listener.
Refined Design & Construction: The refined design and construction of the A-S2100 reflects Yamaha's commitment to fine craftsmanship and art, uniquely drawing on its long experience as a world-class musical instrument maker. The metal front panel and sides have been beautifully integrated by the masterful use of advanced processing technology. Moreover, the dials and tone controls are machined aluminum knobs, for a richly textured finish and graceful touch. Completing the integrated amplifier's rigidity are the heavy-duty chrome-plated brass feet. These insulator feet are crucial in blocking out any unwanted outside vibrations. They adopt Yamaha's original metal legs in order to maximize vibration control performance.
Balanced & Unbalanced Analog Inputs: The Yamaha A-S2200 integrated amplifier is fitted with both balanced & unbalanced analog inputs.
- Balanced XLR: The Yamaha A-S22000 features a set of balanced XLR inputs for connecting a high-end audio component, such as Yamaha's CD-S2200 CD player (sold separately). You can adjust the Attenuation and Phase of the XLR input.
- Unbalanced RCA: The Yamaha A-S2200 is equipped with six unbalanced analog RCA stereo inputs for connecting an external audio source such as a CD player, AM/FM tuner, Turntable, and/or cassette deck; as well a preamp or AV receiver. There is also one analog RCA stereo output for recording through the amplifier.
Main Direct Input: One of the A-S2200's analog inputs is labeled Main Direct Input. This input allows you to connect your preamplifier or AV receiver directly to the A-S2200 and use the Yamaha stereo amplifier as a power amplifier to drive a pair of speakers in your system.
Note: Audio signal coming into the amplifier's Main Direct Input is only output through the speaker outputs of the A-S2200. No audio signal will by output from the stereo amplifier's Pre-Out, Rec Out, or Headphone Output.
Full Discrete Phono Amp: The phono amp is comprised of an MC head amp and an equalizer amp, each of which are discretely configured, resulting in a rich sound with pronounced musicality, when playing vinyl records with both MC and MM phone cartridges. The unit's Phono input consists of stereo RCA jacks and a ground terminal.
Binding-Post Speaker Terminals: Yamaha's meticulous obsession with quality continues through to the speaker terminals, which are the last and crucial link in the audio chain. Featuring two sets of binding-post speaker terminals (A/B) that are cut direclty from pure brass enable secure connection with no reduction in sound quality. Contoured to the shape of human fingers, they not only look beautiful, but can be turned easily and fastened tightly with minimal effort. They are also compatible with connections using banana plugs (single only).
Note: You can use the A/B speaker outputs to power two pair of separate speakers or you can bi-wire a single pair of speakers. If you use two sets (A and B) of speaker, the impedance of each speaker must be 8-ohm or higher. When only using one set of speakers (A or B), use speakers with an impedance of 4-ohm or higher.
High Performance Headphone Amp: The headphone amp is also equipped with fully discrete configuration, for preeminent drivability and damping properties. Included as well is a specialized level trimmer that responds to various load impedances. The unit's headphone amp uses a front-panel 1/4" headphone jack for connecting a pair of headphones (sold separately). Once a set of headphones are connected, the amplifier's speaker outputs mute automatically.
Note: The headphone amp does not function for the amplifier's Main Direct Input.
Pre-Outs: The Yamaha integrated amplifier is equipped with a stereo preamp output for connecting a powered subwoofer or to use the A-S2200 as a preamplifier and connect it to a larger power amplifier to power your speakers.
Remote Control: The supplied remote control features a design complementary to the aluminum panel of the amplifier itself, with a simple, easy-to-understand button layout and metallic texture. In addition to the basic volume adjustment and input switching controls of the A-S2200, it can also be used for operation of a companion Yamaha CD player (sold separately).
Front-Panel Controls: The integrated amplifier also offers the following convenient front-panel controls.
- Volume: Controls amplifier's output volume level. The volume control does not effect the amplifiers Main Direct Input or Record Output.
- Input Select:
- Speakers: The Speaker Selector switch allows you to select only A speakers, only B speakers, A+B speakers, Bi-Wire, or no speakers; so you can control which speakers are playing.
- Trim: Adjusts the volume level when headphones are plugged in to avoid sudden changes in volume. Choose from -6, 0, +6, or + 12 dB.
- Tone Control: Adjustable Bass (+/-10dB), Treble (+/-10dB), and Balance (L-R). The tone controls do not effect the amplifiers Main Direct Input or Record Output.
- Meter: Switches the meter display between Off (no meter), Peak (peak level), or VU (volume unit).
- Phono Switch: Selects the type of turntable (MM or MC) connected to the integrated amp's phono input.
- Audio Mute: Reduces the current volume level by approximately 20 dB.
Front-Panel Level Meters: The center of the main unit features level meters that provide visual enjoyment of the music as well, with the rapid and delicate movement of the needles. The meter is illuminated softly from inside by LED, giving a warm, beautiful lamplight look. The meter indicators can, along with VU display, be switched to peak display, and can be selected according to your preferences. The window of the meters has been precision-fit to the panel for an elegantly beautiful appearance.
Trigger Input + Remote Input/Output: The A-S2200 features a 12V trigger input (3.5mm) to synchronize power on /off with another component that features a 12V trigger output. The integrated amp also has remote input and remote output minijack terminals for use with external IR receivers and compatible Yamaha components.
Auto Power Standby: The unit enters standby mode automatically if not operated for approximately 8 hours.
2 questions already asked