About the Yamaha A-S701
Potent power, with vanishing distortion levels
Potent power, with vanishing distortion levels
It's not hard to find an amplifier that will promise 100 watts per channel of power. But few amps can match that number with such incredibly low distortion as the Yamaha A-S701. This well-built integrated amplifier offers plenty of power to drive bookshelf or tower speakers, including more demanding loads. As you turn up the volume, this amp's anti-resonance construction, symmetrical circuit layout, and high-quality components ensure your music remains clean and clear. By minimizing distortion and interference, your music will sound more listenable with fine details shining through.
Connect your TV and Blu-ray player
The A-S701 has six pairs of analog RCA inputs, including a phono input for connecting a turntable. But music sources aren't the only possibilities: optical and coaxial digital audio inputs let you bring video devices into the fold. Connect a TV or Blu-ray player to these inputs, and enjoy movie sound through your stereo speakers with this amp. It's a cost-effective way to build an excellent two-channel rig in your TV room that offers dynamic sound with a wide stereo image.
Tone controls and direct modes
If you need to make some adjustments as you listen, the A-S701 has front-panel tone controls for bass and treble. There's also a loudness control, for bringing out more detail and depth while listening at low volume. If you prefer a more purist approach to listening, you can bypass these controls with Pure Direct mode, which eliminates signal degradation as your music travels a more direct circuit path. For listening to CDs, engage CD Direct Amplification — it matches the input levels of the source with the amp to further minimize noise introduced at the amplification stage.
- 100 watts x 2 channels into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.019% THD
- 4-ohm capability allows use with a wide range of speakers
- ToP-ART (Total Purity Audio Reproduction Technology) combines a symmetrical circuit layout along with anti-resonance construction for high-quality sound with minimal distortion
- Pure Direct mode allows music signals to travel the shortest possible route through the unit's circuitry for cleaner sound
- CD Direct Amplification mode matches input signals from CD players for higher signal-to-noise ratio
- optical and coaxial digital audio inputs
- 6 RCA audio inputs, including MM (moving magnet) phono input
- Bluetooth®-ready with optional Yamaha YBA-11 adapter (not included)
- subwoofer output
- two pairs of RCA recording outputs
- signal-to-noise ratio: 99 dB (CD)
- two pairs of gold-plated binding-post speaker connectors with front-panel switching
- 1/4" headphone jack
- detachable power cord
- remote control
- 17-1/8"W x 6"H x 15-1/4"D
- weight: 24.7 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # A-S701BL
What's in the box:
- Stereo integrated amplifier
- 6.5' AC power cord
- Remote control (RAS14)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- Owner's manual (En/ Fr)
- Warranty information (US/CA)
- On-line product registration information
- "Yamaha Worldwide Representative Offices" note
Yamaha A-S701 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Yamaha A-S701
Features & specs
|Watts RMS per Channel (8-ohms)||100|
|Watts RMS per Channel (6-ohms)||120|
|Watts RMS per Channel (4-ohms)||Not given|
|Minimum Impedance||4 ohms|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||99|
|Digital Music Features|
|Built-in DAC (Digital to Analog Converter)||Yes|
|Total Analog Inputs||6|
|Optical Digital Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||1|
|Dimensions and Warranty|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
"Natural Sound" Concept: Yamaha, with a long history of over 125 years as a musical instrument maker, also has a high reputation for HiFi components. Yamaha's A-S701 integrated amplifier takes advantage of this rich experience and high technological expertise. Based on the concept of "Natural Sound", for reproducing all music as it really sounds, and built with scrupulous care from circuit design to basic sound production, the A-S701 reproduces high sound quality and musically rich sound.
Proprietary Yamaha Technologies: The Yamaha A-S701 integrated amplifier employs proprietary Yamaha technologies for optimum performance and sound reproductions.
- ToP-ART Design: When processing and transmission of the audio signal is simple and direct there is less chance of it being affected by noise and distortion. Yamaha's amplifier design technology called "ToP-ART" features an I/O (input to output) Direct Symmetrical Design, with left and right channels organized in a straight, symmetrical layout for highest signal purity.
- ART (Anti-Resonance and Tough): In addition, the ART (Anti-Resonance and Tough) Base bottom chassis and a solid center bar provide high-rigidity support and vibration damping.
High Current Amplifier: The Yamaha A-S701 features a dynamic, high current stereo amplifier with low impedance drive capability. The amp is rated at 100 watts x 2-channels, measured from 20-20 kHz into 8Ω with 0.019% THD (120 watts x 2-channels, measured from 20-20 kHz into 6Ω with 0.038% THD).
High Quality Parts: Custom-made power transformer, custom-made block capacitors, two direct signal path speaker relays, one-point grounding system, aluminum-extruded heat sinks and other top-quality parts effortlessly handle demanding audio signal conditions. The quality of each individual part, as well as how they work together, basically determines the sound quality of any component. Yamaha uses only very high quality parts, carefully selected and tested.
CD Direct Amplification + Pure Direct Mode: With a straight connection to the CD input, CD Direct Amplification maximizes the CD source's signal-to-noise ratio. Additionally, engaging the Pure Direct mode causes the music signals to travel the shortest possible circuit route, bypassing the buffer amp, the tone, loudness and balance controls to virtually eliminate any signal degradation for the purest sound quality.
Sophisticated Front-Panel Design: With a beautifully simple and unique design inherited directly from Yamaha's HiFi audio components, this amplifier also boast an easy-to-operate button layout. The aluminum front-panel has a richly textured silver hairline finish (the rotary knobs are plastic). The rotary encoder makes it quick and easy to select input sources. The luxury hairline finish material offers a nice tactile feeling. LEDs clearly show which source is selected, so you can easily switch sources even in a dark room.
Variable Loudness Control: The A-S701 also feature a new analog loudness control on the front-panel that uses electronic volume for higher sound quality, which lets you adjust the loudness effect as desired. Separate from the overall volume, this controls the balance of the low- and high- frequency sounds, providing full tonal range at any volume level; compensating for the natural loss in the human ear of high and low frequencies at soft levels.
Tone Controls: The integrated amplifier features independent bass (20 Hz) and treble (20 kHz) controls so you can increase or decrease the low and high frequency response (+/-10dB). You can also adjust the output balance of the left and right speakers.
Impedance Switch: The integrated amplifier features a rear-panel impedance switch to match the impedance level of the speakers connected. Choose High or Low:
- High: Select High if using one set (A or B) of speakers with impedance of 6-ohm or higher; when bi-wiring the impedance of the speaker must also be 6-ohms or higher.
- Low: Select Low if using one set (A or B) of speakers with the impedance of 4-ohm to 6-ohm; if using two sets (A and B) of speakers simultaneously, the impedance of each speaker must be at least 8-ohms; when bi-wiring the impedance of the speaker must also be 4-ohms to 6-ohms.
Simple Remote Control: The clean, simple design of the remote control provides easy-to-understand one-hand operation. The easy-to-use design makes it simple to adjust song volume and order. The remote has a sophisticated looking hairline finish that matches the design of the amplifiers. You can also use the remote to control a Yamaha CD/SACD player.
Auto Power Standby: The amplifier has a power management function that detects when it hasn't been used for a long time (about 8 hours) even though the power is on, and automatically shifts it into standby mode. So even if you forget to turn it off, power consumption will be minimized.
Gold-Plated Terminals: The Yamaha A-S701 has gold-plated terminals for all of its inputs and outputs. These gold-plated terminals ensure a high quality connection that prevents signal loss.
Analog & Digital Inputs: The Yamaha A-S701 integrated amplifier offers analog & digital inputs for connection of a variety of home audio components.
- RCA + Phono: The Yamaha integrated amplifier is equipped with six analog stereo (RCA) inputs for connecting external analog audio sources, including a turntable. The Phono input can be used to connect a turntable with an MM phono cartridge to play vinyl records. The unit's Phono input also features a ground terminal.
- Optical & Coaxial Digital Inputs: The A-S701 is equipped with both optical (toslink) and coaxial (RCA) digital audio inputs. The optical and coaxial inputs will accept 2ch PCM (not Dolby Digital/DTS). The audio stays in the digital domain, giving you pure, pristine dynamic sound for all your entertainment sources, from sports and other programs to movies and concerts.
Recording Outputs: There are also two pair of RCA outputs for recording audio through the amplifier to recording device.
A & B Speaker Terminals: The Yamaha integrated amplifier features binding post terminals for its A & B speaker outputs. You can use the A & B speaker outputs to power two pair of speakers, or bi-wire a single pair of compatible speakers. The terminals are not 5-way binding posts because a plastic collar prevents their use with spade lugs and they are too far apart for dual banana plugs.
Sub Output: A terminal for connecting a subwoofer is provided, allowing you to increase the bass output of your system for a more powerful sound with better overall sound quality
Headphone Output: The A-S701 integrated amplifier is equipped with a front-panel 1/4" headphone output for connecting a pair of headphones (sold separately). When a set of headphones is plugged in, the speaker outputs are automatically muted.
The Yamaha A-S701 replaces these items
86 questions already asked