About the Yamaha A-S801
Why choose between analog and digital? Hear the best of both!
Why choose between analog and digital? Hear the best of both!
There are lots of ways to use your computer as a music source. But few of them are as simple and rewarding as connecting it to the Yamaha A-S801. This integrated amplifier has a USB input, so you can play digital tunes from your computer, including high-resolution files. Of course, this amp also offers lots of power to drive your stereo speakers. There are plenty of other inputs for disc players, a turntable, and even a TV or Blu-ray player. This versatility makes the A-S801 an excellent choice for anyone looking to design a fantastic two-channel rig with digital and analog capabilities.
Digital connections with high-resolution playback
When you connect your computer to the A-S801's USB input, your digital tunes will benefit greatly from this amp's high-quality ESS SABRE digital-to-analog converter (DAC). It converts your digital files into analog signals, preserving all of their detail, for accurate sound. This DAC can also handle high-resolution music, including DSD files and 24-bit/192kHz PCM files. There are also optical and coaxial digital inputs — connect a TV or Blu-ray player to these inputs, and enjoy movie sound through your stereo speakers.
Great sound from any source
With digital or analog signals, this amp delivers sound that's dynamic and clear. Thanks to anti-resonance construction, a symmetrical circuit layout, and high-quality components, the A-S801 keeps distortion levels incredibly low for superb sound quality. If you need to make some adjustments as you listen, there are front-panel tone controls for bass and treble. There's also a loudness control, for bringing out more detail and depth while listening at low volume. Or, bypass these controls with Pure Direct mode, which eliminates signal degradation as your music travels a more direct circuit path. For listening to CDs, engage CD Direct Amplification — it matches the input levels of the source with the amp to further minimize noise introduced at the amplification stage.
- 100 watts x 2 channels into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.019% THD
- 4-ohm capability allows use with a wide range of speakers
- USB input for music playback from a computer
- supports DSD (2.8 MHz and 5.6 MHz) and PCM files (up to 32-bit/384 kHz)
- ESS SABRE ES9010K2M digital-to-analog converter offers superb sound with digital music files
- sampling rate indicator on front panel
- ToP-ART (Total Purity Audio Reproduction Technology) combines a symmetrical circuit layout along with anti-resonance construction for high-quality sound with minimal distortion
- Pure Direct mode allows music signals to travel the shortest possible route through the unit's circuitry for cleaner sound
- CD Direct Amplification mode matches input signals from CD players for higher signal-to-noise ratio
- optical and coaxial digital audio inputs
- 6 RCA audio inputs, including MM (moving magnet) phono input
- Bluetooth®-ready with optional Yamaha YBA-11 adapter (not included)
- subwoofer output
- two pairs of RCA recording outputs
- signal-to-noise ratio: 99 dB (CD)
- two pairs of gold-plated binding-post speaker connectors with front-panel switching
- 1/4" headphone jack
- detachable power cord
- remote control
- 17-1/8"W x 6"H x 15-1/4"D
- weight: 26.7 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # A-S801SL
What's in the box:
- Stereo integrated amplifier
- 6.5' AC power cord
- Remote control (RAS15)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- Owner's manual (En/ Fr)
- Warranty information (US/CA)
- On-line product registration information
- "Yamaha Worldwide Representative Offices" note
Yamaha A-S801 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Yamaha A-S801
Features & specs
|Watts RMS per Channel (8-ohms)||100|
|Watts RMS per Channel (6-ohms)||120|
|Watts RMS per Channel (4-ohms)||Not given|
|Minimum Impedance||4 ohms|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||99|
|Digital Music Features|
|Built-in DAC (Digital to Analog Converter)||Yes|
|High-resolution Audio Playback||FLAC, WAV, DSD|
|Total Analog Inputs||6|
|Optical Digital Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||1|
|Dimensions and Warranty|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
"Natural Sound" Concept: Yamaha, with a long history of over 125 years as a musical instrument maker, also has a high reputation for HiFi components. Yamaha's A-S801 integrated amplifier takes advantage of this rich experience and high technological expertise. Based on the concept of "Natural Sound", for reproducing all music as it really sounds, and built with scrupulous care from circuit design to basic sound production, the A-S801 reproduces high sound quality and musically rich sound.
Proprietary Yamaha Technologies: The Yamaha A-S801 integrated amplifier employs proprietary Yamaha technologies for optimum performance and sound reproductions.
- ToP-ART Design: When processing and transmission of the audio signal is simple and direct there is less chance of it being affected by noise and distortion. Yamaha's amplifier design technology called "ToP-ART" features an I/O (input to output) Direct Symmetrical Design, with left and right channels organized in a straight, symmetrical layout for highest signal purity.
- High-Strength Chassis: In order to effectively dampen the vibrations that have adverse effects on sound quality, the A-S801 chassis has a double bottom design with a 1mm iron plate. A solid center bar further enhances high rigidity and dampens vibrations.
- ART (Anti-Resonance and Tough): In addition, the power transformer and heat sinks in the power amp section are supported by an extremely strong and stable ART (Anti-Resonance and Tough) base.
High Current Amplifier: The Yamaha A-S801 features a dynamic, high current stereo amplifier with low impedance drive capability. The amp is rated at 100 watts x 2-channels, measured from 20-20 kHz into 8Ω with 0.019% THD (120 watts x 2-channels, measured from 20-20 kHz into 6Ω with 0.038% THD).
ESS Sabre 32-Bit DAC: After careful listening evaluations, Yamaha selected the 32-bit, two-channel SABRE Premier Audio DAC from ESS Technology, Inc. Most notable is its high precision processing power of 32-bit audio along with the ability to handle large amounts of audio data with full PCM 384 kHz and native DSD 5.6 MHz. Since the built-in D/A converter generates its own master clock, an original jitter elimination function is also included, permitting D/A conversion with an extremely low impact of clock jitter. Moreover, a two-channel D/A converter is housed inside the chip which applies a double differential operation. The result is exceptional high performance and high quality signal output with a superior signal to noise ratio.
High Quality Parts: Custom-made power transformer, custom-made block capacitors, two direct signal path speaker relays, one-point grounding system, aluminum-extruded heat sinks and other top-quality parts effortlessly handle demanding audio signal conditions. The quality of each individual part, as well as how they work together, basically determines the sound quality of any component. Yamaha uses only very high quality parts, carefully selected and tested.
CD Direct Amplification + Pure Direct Mode: With a straight connection to the CD input, CD Direct Amplification maximizes the CD source's signal-to-noise ratio. Additionally, engaging the Pure Direct mode causes the music signals to travel the shortest possible circuit route, bypassing the buffer amp, the tone, loudness and balance controls to virtually eliminate any signal degradation for the purest sound quality.
Optional Bluetooth Adapter: You can wirelessly stream music from a Bluetooth-compatible device, using the optional YBA-11 Bluetooth Wireless Adapter. The adapter features aptX audio decoding for optimum sound quality. The adapter connects to the A-S801 via a coaxial digital cable and USB power cord, both supplied with the adapter.
Gold-Plated Terminals: The Yamaha A-S801 has gold-plated terminals for all of its inputs and outputs. These gold-plated terminals ensure a high quality connection that prevents signal loss.
USB (Type-B) Port: The USB DAC function supports native DSD (2.8 MHz and 5.6 MHz) and PCM (384kHz/32-bit*) resolutions. This function allows for a direct connection to Windows PCs and Mac computers which opens the door to play back of the highest resolution audio content offered today. The Yamaha-developed USB device controller has its own master clock that eliminates PC jitter. The driver is a low loss, high throughput ASIO 2.3 Yamaha Steinberg USB driver. During playback, indicators on the front-panel clearly show which sampling frequencies are currently being used. The amplifier's USB connection supports the following operating systems:
- Windows: 7 (32-/64-bit), 8 (32-/64-bit), and 8.1 (32-/64-bit); a Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver must be installed on your PC (for 32-bit / for 64-bit).
- Mac: OS X 10.6.8, 10.7.x, 10.8.x, and 10.9.x; this Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver must be installed on your computer.
Note: *A compatible Windows PC will support up to 32-bit audio. A compatible Mac computer will only support up to 24-bit audio.
Analog & Digital Inputs: The Yamaha A-S801 integrated amplifier offers analog & digital inputs for connection of a variety of home audio components.
- RCA + Phono: The Yamaha integrated amplifier is equipped with six analog stereo (RCA) inputs for connecting external analog audio sources, including a turntable. The Phono input can be used to connect a turntable with an MM phono cartridge to play vinyl records. The unit's Phono input also features a ground terminal.
- Optical & Coaxial Digital Inputs: The A-S801 is equipped with both optical (toslink) and coaxial (RCA) digital audio inputs. The optical and coaxial inputs will accept 2ch PCM (not Dolby Digital/DTS). The audio stays in the digital domain, giving you pure, pristine dynamic sound for all your entertainment sources, from sports and other programs to movies and concerts.
Recording Outputs: There are also two pair of RCA outputs for recording audio through the amplifier to recording device.
A & B Speaker Terminals: The Yamaha integrated amplifier features binding post terminals for its A & B speaker outputs. You can use the A & B speaker outputs to power two pair of speakers, or bi-wire a single pair of compatible speakers. The terminals are not 5-way binding posts because a plastic collar prevents their use with spade lugs and they are too far apart for dual banana plugs.
Sub Output: A terminal for connecting a subwoofer is provided, allowing you to increase the bass output of your system for a more powerful sound with better overall sound quality
Headphone Output: The A-S801 integrated amplifier is equipped with a front-panel 1/4" headphone output for connecting a pair of headphones (sold separately). The headphone output and speaker outputs will work simultaneously; you will need to rotate the speaker selector switch on the front-panel to the Off position to turn off the sound from your connected speakers.
Sophisticated Front-Panel Design: With a beautifully simple and unique design inherited directly from Yamaha's HiFi audio components, this amplifier also boast an easy-to-operate button layout. The aluminum front-panel has a richly textured silver hairline finish. The control knobs are also of the same luxurious construction as used on Yamaha's top-end models. The rotary encoder makes it quick and easy to select input sources. The luxury hairline finish material offers a nice tactile feeling. LEDs clearly show which source is selected, so you can easily switch sources even in a dark room.
Simple Remote Control: The clean, simple design of the remote control provides easy-to-understand one-hand operation. The easy-to-use design makes it simple to adjust song volume and order. The remote has a sophisticated looking hairline finish that matches the design of the amplifiers. You can also use the remote to control a Yamaha CD/SACD player.
Variable Loudness Control: The A-S801 also feature a new analog loudness control on the front-panel that uses electronic volume for higher sound quality, which lets you adjust the loudness effect as desired. Separate from the overall volume, this controls the balance of the low- and high- frequency sounds, providing full tonal range at any volume level; compensating for the natural loss in the human ear of high and low frequencies at soft levels.
Tone Controls: The integrated amplifier features independent bass (20 Hz) and treble (20 kHz) controls so you can increase or decrease the low and high frequency response (+/-10dB). You can also adjust the output balance of the left and right speakers.
Impedance Switch: The integrated amplifier features a rear-panel impedance switch to match the impedance level of the speakers connected. Choose High or Low:
- High: Select High if using one set (A or B) of speakers with impedance of 6-ohm or higher; when bi-wiring the impedance of the speaker must also be 6-ohms or higher.
- Low: Select Low if using one set (A or B) of speakers with the impedance of 4-ohm to 6-ohm; if using two sets (A and B) of speakers simultaneously, the impedance of each speaker must be at least 8-ohms; when bi-wiring the impedance of the speaker must also be 4-ohms to 6-ohms.
Auto Power Standby: The amplifier has a power management function that detects when it hasn't been used for a long time (about 8 hours) even though the power is on, and automatically shifts it into standby mode. So even if you forget to turn it off, power consumption will be minimized.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
31 questions already asked