About the Yamaha CD-S300
Play your CDs and your iPod, too
Play your CDs and your iPod, too
Yamaha's versatile CD-S300 not only plays your CDs, including home-burned MP3 and WMA mix discs, but it also gives you a front-panel USB port for plugging in your iPod, iPhone®, or iPad®. This lets you take advantage of the CD player's high-performance digital-to-analog converter — a big improvement over the iPod's built-in DAC — for the best sound quality from your portable music library. Either way you play it, you'll enjoy great-sounding music through your home stereo system.
Built to perform
The CD-S300's sophisticated internal design includes isolated power supplies for the digital and analog sections, a high-quality digital-to-analog converter, and short signal paths that minimize the chances of interference or signal loss. The end result is richly detailed sound with engaging warmth and musicality. You can improve sound quality even further with Pure Direct mode, which turns off the front panel display and the digital audio output to eliminate sources of potential noise.
- plays CDs, CD-Rs & CD-RWs, and MP3 & WMA CDs
- front-panel USB (type A) port for connecting an iPod, iPhone, iPad, USB flash drive, or other portable MP3 player
- Burr-Brown 192kHz/24-bit DAC
- program, repeat, and random play
- CD Text display
- Pure Direct mode shuts down the digital audio output and turns off the display to minimize noise and interference for enhanced sound quality
- sophisticated circuitry and careful layout of parts with short signal paths to reduce any possible signal loss
- Intelligent Digital Servo compensates for any disc errors for trouble-free playback
- optical and coaxial digital audio output
- signal-to-noise ratio 105 dB
- dynamic range: 96 dB
- frequency response: 2 - 20,000Hz
- remote control
- 17-1/8"W x 3-3/8"H x 11-1/2"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # CD-S300BL
What's in the box:
- Single-disc CD player
- 58" AC power cord
- Remote control (WR96080)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 40" Stereo RCA cable
- Owner's manual (En/Fr)
- Warranty information US)
- Warranty information (Can)
- On-line product registration information
Yamaha CD-S300 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Yamaha CD-S300
Features & specs
|CD Transport Only||No|
Single Disc |
|Direct Track Access||Remote|
|Direct Disc Access||N/A|
|Multiple CD Player Control||---|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|CD Frequency Response||2-20,000 Hz|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||105 dB|
|SACD Frequency Response||Not Compatible|
|SACD Dynamic Range||---|
|Analog RCA Output||Yes|
|Analog XLR Output||No|
|Digital Optical Output||Yes|
|Digital Coaxial Output||Yes|
Sophisticated Circuitry & Layout: Yamaha technicians devoted a great deal of time and effort to designing the overall interior layout of parts and circuit boards, a factor that significantly affects sound quality. As a result, the power supplies for the motor drive, display and USB sections, as well as the digital, and analog sections are individually isolated, eliminating electromagnetic interference among them. To achieve ideal weight balance for stable performance, the drive mechanism is located in the center of the unit.
High Quality Parts: Yamaha puts a great deal of effort into the selection and matching of parts and materials. A high-grade acoustic capacitor, a new low noise/high-gain bandwidth op amp, and the use of damping material under the transformer and around the signal cables are just a few examples of Yamaha's commitment to great sound quality.
Short Signal Paths: The highly logical and symmetrical internal layout of parts and circuit boards are designed to keep the signal paths on each board as short as possible. This purposeful design also keeps the paths between sections straight and short, minimizing the chance of signal loss or interference.
Laser Pickup Floating Mechanism: The laser pickup is isolated on a floating mechanism so its delicate operation cannot be affected by vibration.
Intelligent Digital Servo System: This type of system uses a microcomputer to monitor the signal, adjusting pickup tracking and focus, as well as spindle motor speed, to compensate for any problems.
Burr Brown 24-bit/192kHz DAC: The Yamaha CD-S300 CD player employs a Burr Brown 24-bit/192kHz DAC ensuring excellent conversion precision, S/N ratio, and dynamic range.
CD Compatibility: The Yamaha CD-S300 CD player will play CD-Audio, CD-Text, CD-R, and CD-RW discs (12cm or 8cm).
CD Text: When a CD Text encoded CD is played, this unit will display the CD Text information - disc title, artist name, and track name.
MP3/WMA Playback: The CD-S300 supports playback of compressed MP3 (8-320 kbps) and WMA (16-320 kbps) files recorded on CD-R and CD-RW discs using the ISO 9660 format. The CD player can recognize up to 256 folders, 512 filers per folder, and a maximum of 999 total files.
LCD Display: The Yamaha CD player features a front-panel LCD display that shows the current status of the unit. You can select from elapsed time of the current track, remaining time of the current track, or the remaining time of the disc. You can also temporarily display the filename of your MP3/WMA files up to 28 characters. The front-panel display offers 4 brightness settings.
Pure Direct: The CD-S300 offers Pure Direct, which is the same popular feature included in Yamaha amplifiers and receivers. By pressing the button on the front panel or on the remote control, it shuts down the digital audio output and turns off the display. This achieves the lowest possible noise interference and, therefore, the highest sound quality of the analog audio output.
Playback Modes: The CD-S300 offers the following playback modes.
- Program: You can customize the playback order of up to 24 track store on an Audio CD. This operation is not available for MP3/WMA playback.
- Random: You can play back tracks in random sequence from and Audio CD, CD-R/RW, or USB device.
- Repeat: You can play back a single track or all tracks repeatedly from a Audio CD, CD-R/RW, or USB device.
- Repeat A-B: You can repeat a specified section of a track on an audio CD. This operation is not available for MP3/WMA playback.
- Ready Mode: Pauses playback after each track, allowing you to start the next rack at any desired time.
Note: This unit retains the current Repeat & Random playback mode after turning off the power.
Search Functions: The CD-S300 offers the following search functions.
- Direct Search: You can enter the desired track number for an Audio CD using the numeric keypad (0-9) on the remote control. This operation is not available for MP3/WMA playback.
- Skip: You can skip to the beginning of the current, next, or previous track of an audio CD, CD-R/RW, or USB device.
- Fast Forward/Reverse: You can rapidly advance or reverse through a track on an Audio CD, CD-R/RW, or USB device. Each time you press the search key, the search speed increases by 2 levels.
Remote Control: The Yamaha CD-S300 single disc CD player comes with a full-function IR remote control for wireless operation of the unit. The remote has a range up to 20 feet with an angle of 30-degrees to the left and right of the unit's front-panel IR eye.
Analog Audio Output: The Yamaha CD player is equipped with one set of stereo RCA jacks.
Digital Audio Output: The Yamaha CD-S300 features a optical (toslink) and coaxial (RCA) digital output.
USB Port: The USB port on the front panel allows you to play MP3 (8-320 kbps) and WMA (16-320 kbps) music files from a USB memory device (flash drive), card reader, or portable audio player that use FAT16/FAT32 format. The unit will recognize up to 256 folders, 512 files per folder, and a maximum of 32,767 total files. The unit's USB port supports basic playback controls, such as Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Reverse, Skip (Next/Previous); as well as folder and track select.
iPod/iPhone Compatible: The Yamaha CD player's USB port also supports playback of your iPod/iPhone's music files (via the USB/dock cable supplied with your iPod). The CD-S300 offers audio playback, basic control (Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Reverse, Previous/Next) and charging of your iPod. Advanced navigation is still done through your iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen. Artist and song information will need to be viewed on your connected iPod's LCD screen. The Yamaha CD-S300 is "made for iPod/iPhone" compliant and supports the following iPod/iPhone models and functions (as of 9/27/2012):
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
| clickwheel |
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
14 questions already asked