About the Yamaha CX-A5100
Home theater for audiophiles
Home theater for audiophiles
We're big fans of Yamaha's AVENTAGE audio/video gear. And judging by the many glowing reviews on Crutchfield's website, our customers are just as impressed with the sound quality and construction as we are. These components are built strong, with a level of craftsmanship that will impress even the most demanding home theater enthusiasts. And nowhere is that more evident than with the CX-A5100 home theater preamp/processor. As the flagship of the AVENTAGE line, this sophisticated AV hub combines cutting-edge audio and video processing with all the latest convenience and entertainment features.
On the video side, 4K upscaling and pass-through with HDCP 2.2 support on all rear-panel HDMI connections means the CX-A5100 is ready for the latest Ultra HD TVs, and will bring a new level of realism to your older DVDs and Blu-rays. And when it comes to music, support for high-resolution audio files, plus a Compressed Music Enhancer for MP3s and Bluetooth streams guarantees crystal-clear sound from a huge range of music sources. And you can enjoy it in up to three separate zones throughout your home. Easy setup, a simple user interface, and a comprehensive, customizable control app make the 'A5100 a joy to operate.
Take your home theater above and beyond with Dolby Atmos
A technology that just recently made its debut in home theater receivers, Dolby Atmos creates the most lifelike, captivating surround sound of any audio format we've heard to date. If you're watching a plane take off onscreen, your ears will follow it down the runway along with your eyes, and as it roars directly overhead you might swear your hair is blowing back. If you're ready to explore this new dimension in home theater sound, pair the CX-A5100 with a high-performance multichannel power amp such as Yamaha's MX-A5000, then add one or two pairs of in-ceiling speakers to your five- or seven-channel system, or pick up some Atmos enabled upward-firing speakers to project sound off your ceiling and create the height effects that make an Atmos system so riveting.
Here's a breakdown of all the Dolby Atmos speaker configurations this receiver supports:
- 7.1.4 - seven conventional surround speakers, one powered subwoofer, and four overhead or height speakers
- 7.1.2 - seven conventional surround speakers, one powered subwoofer, and two overhead or height speakers
- 5.1.4 - five conventional surround speakers, one powered subwoofer, and four overhead or height speakers
- 5.1.2 - five conventional surround speakers, one powered subwoofer, and two overhead or height speakers
You can use one or two subwoofers with any of these configurations.
With a firmware update, this pre/pro also supports DTS:X surround sound, a new format which uses object-based processing similar to Dolby Atmos and overhead speakers for immersive home theater.
With loads of connections, including balanced XLR inputs and outputs, the CX-A5100 can handle almost any digital or analog source component.
Making the most of analog and digital sources
When you see those 3-pin balanced XLR connectors lined up across the CX-A5100's back panel, you know you're getting a preamp designed for top audio performance. With XLR inputs and outputs, this preamp can maintain a balanced signal path from your high-end stereo source component all the way through to your power amp. This reduces the noise in the transmission, letting your music's detail and dynamics shine through. Digital audio signals from Blu-ray and CD players are handled by ESS SABRE32 Ultra digital-to-analog converters on all channels, for audiophile-grade performance in stereo or surround sound.
Great sound is in the details
Yamaha builds their AVENTAGE series components with high-quality, custom-designed parts that use anti-resonance technology to reduce distortion caused by vibration. The CX-A5100's rigid three-ply chassis structure incorporates an independent top cover, aluminum side panels and an H-shaped cross frame for added stability. Shielded power supplies and a large toroidal power transformer restrict radiated noise for quieter operation. A specially designed fifth foot at the center of the pre/pro's base helps dampen internal and external vibrations, while the aluminum front panel further shields sensitive circuitry from external electronic interference for optimal sound quality. All of Yamaha's attention to detail in the CX-A5100's construction results in accurate playback, precise imaging, and a wide, natural soundstage.
Built-in wireless convenience
The CX-A5100's built-in Wi-Fi® gives you quick access to all of your favorite songs plus plenty of ways to discover new music. Access content from your personal digital music library, or explore different Internet radio services. Pandora® lets you enjoy all the custom radio stations you listen to on the go in the comfort of your living room, and vTuner lets you listen to Internet radio stations from all over the world. With a premium Spotify® subscription, you can stream your favorite albums and playlists wirelessly to the receiver via your Internet router, controlling playback from your mobile device. Built-in Bluetooth lets you stream any music you listen to on your phone, tablet or computer, and Apple AirPlay® lets you send music wirelessly from a compatible Apple device or from any computer with iTunes®.
Take control of your system with a flexible remote app
Our customers love Yamaha's AV Controller app. This number-one-rated control app turns your mobile device into a Wi-Fi remote so you can control and customize playback options on the CX-A5100. Switch sources, tweak settings, control multi-zone playback, and select Internet radio stations with effortlessly intuitive touchscreen operation. You can even hide unused icons and rename functions to personalize your remote to your system. Thanks to Yamaha's Wireless Direct technology, you can also control the 'A5100 and stream music from your device without a network connection.
MusicCast puts whole home audio at your fingertips
Yamaha's new MusicCast feature makes it easy to build a whole home wireless audio system starting with the CX-A5100. Use your existing Wi-Fi network to stream music to compatible Yamaha wireless speakers and sound bars in different rooms. Each room's speakers can be controlled independently with the free MusicCast app. The app lets you control playback, browse music sources, and select which rooms you want to use. Listen to the same music throughout your home, or play something different in each room. Access your personal digital music library, Internet radio, and popular streaming services. You can also play Bluetooth sources, sound from your TV, and even CDs and vinyl. MusicCast also supports high-resolution audio formats.
Entertainment in up to four rooms
The CX-A5100 gives you the flexibility to extend playback of different sources to four different rooms. You can play music in up to two additional rooms while enjoying five- or seven-channel surround sound in your living room. A second HDMI output lets you select an independent video source for playback on a TV in a fourth room, so it's easy to put on a movie for the kids to watch in the rec room while you catch up on your TV shows in the living room. Since HDMI carries both video and audio signals, a single-cable connection is all that's required.
Simplified setup solutions for optimal performance
Yamaha has seen to it that you won't need to sweat setting up your system. A free AV Setup Guide app for iOS and Android™ tablets takes you through it step-by-step, with illustrations, through the process of connecting your amp and sources. Once you've gotten everything connected, just plug the included setup mic into the CX-A5100's front panel and the YPAO calibration system will analyze your speakers and your room's acoustics for optimal performance. YPAO is simple and automatic and sets the best sound for any room, no matter where your speakers are placed.
- Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding
- Dolby Atmos processing for use with in-ceiling or "height" speakers for more enveloping surround sound; compatible with 7-, 9-, or 11-channel setups
- next-generation DTS:X surround sound available via firmware update
- video upconversion (up to 1080p and 4K) for analog and HDMI sources
- Yamaha's advanced video processing with edge and motion adaptive deinterlacing for sharp images and smooth motion
- YPAO (Yamaha Parametric Room Acoustic Optimizer) automatic speaker calibration with advanced 64-bit EQ calculation, Reflected Sound Control, 3D, multipoint, and angle measurement to deliver more accurate surround sound across different listening positions (microphone included)
- Cinema DSP HD3 creates increased realism for movie soundtracks with front and rear presence speakers in an 11.2-channel home theater
- 33 Cinema and HiFi DSP modes add richness and depth to music and movie soundtracks (DSP modes can work in conjunction with Dolby Atmos and DTS:X surround processing)
Digital and Streaming Music Options:
- built-in Wi-Fi for listening to music from a networked PC, free Internet radio, and music services
- Wireless Direct lets you stream music and control playback from a smartphone or tablet without a wireless home network
- includes support for Pandora®, Rhapsody®, SiriusXM Internet Radio, and vTuner (subscription required for some services)
- Spotify Connect lets you play Spotify's streaming music library through the receiver via your smartphone or tablet (requires Spotify app and a premium subscription)
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music streaming and transmission
- Apple AirPlay for streaming music from an iPhone®, iPad®, iPod touch® or computer running iTunes
- MusicCast wirelessly connects compatible Yamaha components for whole home audio
- front-panel USB input for connecting an iPod®, iPhone, or thumb drive
- plays high-resolution digital music files via USB storage device or a networked computer (PCM up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution; DSD up to 5.6 MHz .dsf files)
- DLNA certified for streaming music with compatible devices and computers
- analog stereo outputs for second and third zones
- HDMI dual-zone switching in Zone 2 for watching HD content from different sources in two zones simultaneously
- output any source to 2nd room via Zone 2 HDMI output
- 2nd HDMI output assignable to Zone 4 (HDMI sources only)
Audio Performance Features:
- 32-bit/192kHz ESS Sabre ES9016S Ultra digital-to-analog converters on all channels
- Compressed Music Enhancer improves sound quality of MP3s and upconverts CDs and FLAC files to 24-bit/96kHz resolution
- high-rigidity, three-ply chassis structure with independent top cover, aluminum side and front panels, and H-shaped cross frame to minimize vibration for clearer sound
- shielded toroidal power transformer for stable, low-noise operation
- detachable power cable
- HDMI 2.0 audio/video switching: 8 in, 2 out (including 1 front-panel input)
- HDCP 2.2 technology ensures compatibility with 4K Ultra HD sources and TVs (HDMI inputs 1-7 only and both HDMI outputs)
- component video switching: 3 in, 1 out
- composite video switching: 5 in (includes 1 front-panel input), 1 assignable out
- digital audio inputs: 3 optical and 3 coaxial
- 8 analog stereo audio inputs (includes 1 front-panel input)
- balanced XLR stereo inputs
- 7.1-channel unbalanced RCA preamp inputs
- 11.2-channel unbalanced RCA preamp outputs include outputs for 2 powered subwoofers
- 11.2-channel balanced XLR preamp outputs include XLR outputs for 2 powered subwoofers
- phono input for use with a turntable
- full-size (1/4") headphone output jack
- Ethernet port for network connection
- front-panel USB port for audio playback from USB flash drives, hard disk drives, and portable music players
- RS-232C input, 1 remote input/output (IR) and 2 12 volt-trigger outputs for use with external controllers
- 4K video pass-through and upscaling
- free Yamaha A/V Controller app lets you use your Apple or Android device as a Wi-Fi® remote
- full-color on-screen display
- HDMI standby pass-through allows HDMI switching without powering up preamp
- AM/FM tuner
- learning remote control with LED display
- 17-1/8"W x 7-9/16"H x 19-3/8"D
- weight: 29.8 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # CX-A5100BL
What's in the box:
- 11.2ch AV preamplifier
- 6.5' AC power cord
- Wireless remote control (RAV545)
- 4 "AAA" batteries
- YPAO microphone
- W-LAN antenna (pre-installed)
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna
- Mic base
- Owner's Manual CD-ROM
- Setup Guide
- "Connection Example" booklet
- Safety Brochure
- Warranty information
- On-line product registration information
- "Yamaha Worldwide Representative Offices" note
- Spotify brochure
Yamaha CX-A5100 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Yamaha CX-A5100
11.2ch AV Preamplifier: Combined with the Yamaha Aventage MX-A5000 11.2 channel power amplifier (020MXA5000, sold separately), the Yamaha Aventage CX-A5100 11.2ch AV preamplifier achieves superb sound quality and ensures an unequalled listening experience. The AV preamplifier also offers advanced video processing technology, versatile network capability with a wide range of content access and app control, along with flexible system configuration that benefits from advanced HDMI zone switching. In addition, the CX-A5100 features a high rigidity chassis, ESS Technology ES9016 SABRE32 Ultra DACs, and reliable balanced connection.
ESS Technology ES9016 SABRE32 Ultra DACs: In the CX-A5100, all channels use ultra high performance ESS Technology ES9016 SABRE32 Ultra DACs, which provide 192kHz/32-bit compatibility, high SN ratio, and 124dB dynamic range, ensuring that it can faithfully reproduce audio signals from Blu-ray Disc and other players and high quality signals from high resolution sound sources input through networks. Matched to the design of the DAC circuit, which achieves stable ground potential (DAC on Pure Ground), they ensure high precision D/A conversion. The OP amp is a high grade type adopted only by flagship models for maximum signal purity. It produces even more detailed sound by adopting a three-layer circuit board design that completely separates the digital, analog video and analog audio circuit boards, which have different noise levels and frequency bands, and by a design that provides the shortest possible circuit route. Further, by separating the power supplies to the analog circuit boards, it eliminates high frequency noise interference from the digital circuits. The shielded power supply restricts noise radiation and the large power transformer minimizes vibration.
Ultra-Rigid Chassis: The CX-A5100 features an advanced chassis design with strong rigidity. Chassis stiffness is enhanced by an H-shaped cross frame that boosts mechanical strength by adopting aluminum side panels that increase the stiffness of the housing and by a three-ply structure with independent top cover and side panels. Any external vibration from the rack or other sources is damped by heavy insulators. The A.R.T. (Anti-Resonance Technology) Wedge in the center of the bottom cover acts as an additional vibration countermeasure and firmly supports the internal circuits and delicate parts. In addition, this model has a double bottom chassis and rigid bottom frame to further enhance chassis rigidity and reduce the transmission of vibration produced by the large power supply and other internal components. The aluminum front panel is used to effectively shield sensitive circuitry from external noise and electronic radiation generated by dimmer switches, fluorescent lighting, video monitors and so on. This ensures optimum sonic performance in the widest range of installation environments
Balanced Connections: Electrical noise may be generated due to connection with other AV components and even from the connection between the preamplifier and power amplifier, as well as from other sources of external noise. To ensure that the CX-A5100 and MX-A5000 are not affected by this distortion, they use balanced connections that are highly noise resistant; the same type generally used in pro audio equipment. Even the RCA unbalanced connection uses a ground sensing transmission method that achieves simple balanced transmission. And in cases such as that where each channel with the XLR is used selectively, the impact of noise flowing between the preamp and the chassis of the power amp is removed, minimizing sound quality deterioration due to the connection. The CX-A5100 also allows balanced audio input connection to high grade source components, such as SACD players.
YPAO Automatic System Calibration: The Yamaha Parametric Room Acoustic Optimizer (YPAO) system uses a small microphone and sophisticated equalization to automatically set the best sound for any room, no matter where the speakers are. First, it checks the speaker connections and phase of each speaker. Then it sends out tones which are captured by the microphone to analyze the room acoustics and sets a variety of parameters, such as the speaker size, the distance of the speakers, and even the sound pressure level; until it achieves the best sound conditions for your room. Up to 8 listening position measurements are taken to optimize the surround effect for a broad area. Additional YPAO technologies include:
- EQ: You can select between a variety of YPAO EQ result settings to better suit your speaker setup - Natural (adjusts all speaker to a natural sound; useful when the flat setting sounds too bright), Flat (use when all the speakers in the system have similar sound characteristics), Front (EQs the center and rear speakers to sound like the front; useful when your front speakers are better than the others in the system), Through (does not use the YPAO EQ), or Manual (lets you adjust EQ for each channel manually).
- 3D Angle Measurement: The direction (angle) of the front speakers, surround speakers, and presence speakers as seen from the listening position is measured, and compensation is applied to the soundfield in order to maximize the effectiveness of the CINEMA DSP soundfield.
- R.S.C (Reflected Sound Control): The preamplifier also employs YPAO's Reflected Sound Control (RSC) to correct early reflections for studio-quality sound.
- DSP Effect Normalization: In addition, YPAO provides DSP Effect Normalization, which varies the CINEMA DSP parameters according to the reflected sounds.
- YPAO Volume: Human ears have less sensitivity to high and low frequencies, especially at lower volumes. YPAO Volume applies loudness EQ correction to automatically adjust high and low frequency levels as volume changes. Using the YPAO measurement results, EQ correction is optimized to your system settings and listening environment.
Note: You can also choose to manually adjust the AV preamplifier's speaker setup settings.
Multi-Channel Decoding Formats: The Yamaha Aventage CX-A5100 supports the following multi-channel (Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Pro Logic) decoding formats.
- Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD
- DTS: DTS, DTS-ES, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS Express, DTS 96/24, DTS Neo: 6
- Dolby Pro Logic: Dolby Pro Logic II, Dolby Pro Logic IIx
Note: Dolby Digital and DTS listening modes can only be selected if your audio source is connected to the AV preamplifier via a digital audio connection (HDMI, optical, or coaxial). To enjoy true 7.1ch Dolby Digital TrueHD and DTS-HD surround sound, the preamplifier must be connected to your Blu-ray player via HDMI.
Immersive Surround Sound: The Yamaha AV preamplifier goes beyond regular surround with the latest immersive surround sound formats - like Dolby Atmos, Dolby Surround, DTS:X, and Neural:X.
- Dolby Atmos: The Yamaha AV preamplifier will enhance properly designed systems with Dolby Atmos where sound comes alive from all directions, including overhead, to fill the home theater with astonishing clarity, power, detail and depth. The CX-A5100 has the processing power to run a more enveloping 7ch or 9ch Dolby Atmos layout using 5.1.2, 5.1.4, 7.1.2, or 7.1.4 configurations utilizing ceiling mounted, or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers (sold separately). A 5.2.2 speaker configuration is based upon a traditional 5.1 speaker layout complemented by 2 overhead or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers. A 5.1.4 configuration is based on a 5.1 speaker layout with 4 overhead, or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers. A 7.1.2 configuration is based on a 7.1 speaker layout with 2 overhead, or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers. A 7.1.4 configuration is based on a 7.1 speaker layout with 4 overhead, or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers (two of the speakers must be powered by an external 2ch amp.
- Dolby Surround: Dolby Surround offers an enhanced cinema experience to your Dolby Digital (Plus/TrueHD) and DTS (ES/HD) movie soundtracks using your existing 7.1ch or Dolby Atmos speaker setup. Dolby Surround enhances audio definition by improving the spatial dimension and overall audio definition of movie soundtracks. It does this by using four distinct surround zones that provide greater control over the exact placement of each detail in a movie sound track, so audio can be matched more accurately to the video on screen; this means more depth and greater realism for your movies. As a result, individual sounds are clearer and more distinct. It also improves the surround sound experience across the entire theater by widening the listening "sweet spot".
- DTS:X: DTS:X is the next generation object-based, multi-dimensional audio technology from DTS. Unbound from channels, DTS:X conveys the fluid movement of sound to create an incredibly rich, realistic and immersive soundscape - in front of, behind, beside and above the audience - more accurately than ever before. DTS:X offers the ability to automatically adapt the audio to the speaker layout that best fits your space. DTS:X will be enabled through an online firmware update. Click here for update.
- DTS Neural:X: Further, DTS:X incorporates Neural:X, the latest spatial remapping technology from DTS, which provides a fully immersive output for all types of source content; this includes DTS bitstreams and non-encoded (PCM) data. Neural:X delivers a thrilling sense of immersive sound to your speaker layout regardless of the original source format. DTS:X Neural:X will also require the same firmware update.
Cinema DSP Soundfields: Conventional multichannel audio reproduction systems base their sound on Dolby Digital and DTS decoding, using matrix and steering technologies to create surround sound effects. Yamaha Cinema DSP is much more advanced, actually creating richly realized independent soundfields that envelop you in an unmatched surround sound experience. With dialogue, music and effects ideally located in these separate soundfields, you will hear sound with accurate placement, smooth movement, exceptional clarity and richness, and realistic presence. It will seem as if the walls of your room have disappeared and you are in the middle of your own immense theater. The AV preamplifier offers 33 Cinema DSP programs for movies, music, and games.
- Movie Soundfields: Standard, Spectacle, Sci-Fi, Adventure, Drama, Mono Movie
- Entertainment Soundfields: Sports, Action Game, Role Playing Game, Music Video, Pavilion, Disco
- Classical: Hall in Munich A, Hall in Munich B, Hall in Frankfurt, Hall in Stuttgart, Hall in Vienna, Hall in Amsterdam, Hall in USA A, Hall in USA B, Church in Tokyo, Church in Freiburg, Church in Royaumont, Chamber
- Live/Club: Village Gate, Village Vanguard, Warehouse Loft, Cellar Club, The Roxy Theater, The Bottom Line, Arena
- Stereo: 2ch Stereo, 11ch Stereo
Note: You can change the preamplifier's Cinema DSP effect level (level of the soundfield effect to be added). You can adjust the level of the soundfield effect from -6 dB to +3 dB.
Cinema DSP Modes: The Yamaha Aventage AV preamplifier offers proprietary Yamaha Cinema modes so you can enjoy your movies and music even more in your home; regardless if you are using 5.1 speaker setup, only have a two-channel speaker system, or listening through headphones.
- Cinema DSP HD3: CINEMA DSP HD3 is Yamaha's flagship 3D
soundfield playback technology that takes full advantage of the massive
amount of acoustic reflection data included in the soundfield data. Cinema
DSP HD3 uses four CINEMA DSP engines with advanced 3D processing and
supports front & rear presence speaker output (plus Virtual Presence Speaker
mode), in order to deliver more than twice as much capability for generating
acoustic reflections as conventional CINEMA DSP 3D, in addition to
high-frequency playback capability, delivering an utterly natural and
powerful spatial soundfield.
- Virtual Presence Speaker (VPS): With the power of CINEMA DSP HD3, the Virtual Presence Speaker function makes full use of center and surround speakers to create audible information from where presence (height) speakers are normally installed.
- Virtual Surround Back Speaker (VSBS): This preamplifier also features a Virtual Surround Back Speaker function. Even without using surround back speakers, you can experience more natural, lifelike sound from behind you without physical speakers being installed in the surround back area of the listening environment.
- Virtual Cinema DSP: Virtual Cinema DSP is an algorithm that allows you to enjoy DSP soundfield surround effects while using a minimal two-speaker system. Virtual Cinema DSP lets you enjoy the effects of Cinema DSP surround sound without using surround speakers (handy for use in custom installations where some rooms don't have surround speakers). It can be used with the front/center speakers or even with just the two front left and right speakers. This unit will switch to virtual Cinema DSP mode automatically when surround speakers are unavailable.
- Virtual Cinema Front: With Virtual Cinema Front, you will enjoy virtual 5-channel surround sound with higher quality and resolution by installing surround speakers at the front. You get more flexibility to arrange your speakers inside the room, along with easy enjoyment of high quality surround sound.
- Silent Cinema: Silent Cinema makes it possible to hear large-scale surround sound through ordinary headphones. This is a variation of Cinema DSP technology that Yamaha developed to let you listen in private to movies and other multi-channel sources for hours without listening fatigue.
CINEMA DSP Parameters: You can adjust the following parameters of the Cinema DSP modes.
- Adaptive DSP Level: You can change the preamplifier's CINEMA DSP effect level (level of the soundfield effect to be added). You can manually adjust the level of the soundfield effect from -6 dB to +3 dB. Or, with Adaptive DSP Level, the preamplifier automatically adjust the Cinema DSP effect level in conjunction with volume adjustments.
- Delay: Adjusts the delay between the direct sound and the presence soundfield (1-99ms), surround soundfield (1-49ms), and surround back soundfield (1-49ms).
- Room Size: Adjusts the broadening effect (0.1-2.0) of the presence soundfield, surround soundfield, and the surround back sound field.
- Liveness: Adjusts the loss (0-10) of the presence soundfield, surround back soundfield, and surround back soundfield.
- Reverb: Adjusts the delay time of the rear reverberant sound (1.0-5.0s), the delay between the direct sound and rear reverberant sound (0-250ms), and the volume of the reverberant sound (0-100%).
HiFi Sound Modes: The Yamaha CX-A5100 offers two HiFi audio modes which bypass the preamplifier's tone & DSP processing for higher sound quality performance. These HiFi sound modes lets you play back input sources without any soundfield effect processing. When either of theses modes are enabled, each speaker produces its own channel audio signal (without soundfield processing). When playing back 2-channle sources, such as a CD player, stereo sound is heard from the front speakers. When playing back multichannel sources, the preamplifier produces unprocessed multichannel surround sound.
- Straight: 2-channel stereo sources are output from only the front left and right speakers, while multi-channel sources are decoded straight into the appropriate channels without any additional tone or DSP processing.
- Pure Direct: Turns off the surround and tone circuitry, dims the front-panel display, and cancels AV output to allow sources to bypass the decoders and DSP processors of this unit so you can enjoy pure hi-fi sound from 2-channel or multi-channel sources. During Direct playback no sound is output from the subwoofer
High-Resolution + Compressed Music Enhancer: Yamaha employs sophisticated digital signal processing with exclusive algorithms to enable playback that improves the performance of compressed music formats, including MP3, WMA, and AAC. With the Compressed Music Enhancer, highs and especially lows are richer and smoother, bringing music back to life to be as close to the original as possible. In addition, high-bit high-sampling extension up to 96kHz/32-bit can be applied to lossless 44.1/48 kHz content such as from a CD (2-channel PCM) or a FLAC file for further heightening of the musicality in the original content.
Dialogue Lift & Level Adjustment: Dialogue Lift raises the sound of dialogue from the center speaker to a position in the center of the screen. Newly developed virtual dialogue lift achieves dialogue lift function even without the need for presence speakers. Dialogue Level Adjustment lets you control the volume of the vocal sound, so you hear movie dialogue and music vocals at the ideal level for clear, comfortable listening.
Surround Parameters: The Yamaha AV preamplifier offers the following Dolby Pro Logic II and DTS NEO:6 audio adjustments.
- Dolby Pro Logic II Settings: You can adjust the following parameters in Pro Logic II Music modes: Panorama (sends stereo signals to the surround speakers as well as the front speakers for a wraparound effect), Dimension (adjusts the soundfield either towards the front or towards the rear of the room), and Center Width (moves the center channel output completely towards the center speaker or towards the front left and right speakers).
- Center Image (DTS NEO: 6 Music): This parameter adjusts the front left and right channel output relative to the center channel to make the center channel more or less dominant as necessary.
Dynamic Range Control: The Yamaha CX-A5100 employs two Dynamic Range Control functions.
- Adaptive DRC: Adaptive DRC automatically adjusts the dynamic range of the sound according to the volume level. This ensures that you hear clear dialog, vocals, and all sound effects at comfortable levels. There is no need to adjust the volume level as you listen; everything from whispers to big explosions will be heard clearly and comfortably at the same volume setting. It also tones down loud TV commercials and is ideal for low-volume, late-night listening when you do not want to disturb others.
- Dynamic Range: The amount of dynamic range compression applied to bitstream signals is adjustable; Min/Auto is suitable for low volume listening, Standard is typical for home use, and Max doesn't compress the dynamic range at all.
Bass Management: The Yamaha CX-A5100 AV preamplifier provides the following Bass Management settings.
- Bass & Treble: You can adjust the balance of the high-frequency range (Treble) and low-frequency range (Bass) of sounds output from the preamplifier' front left and right speakers to obtain a desired tone. You can independently adjust the bass (50Hz) and treble (20kHz) from -6dB to +6dB in 0.5 dB increments. The tone control of the speakers or headphones can be set separately.
- Extra Bass: You can select whether to play front channel low-frequencies through either of the front speaker or the subwoofer, or through both the subwoofer and front speakers.
- Subwoofer Trim: The Subwoofer Trim control enhances the low frequencies by avoiding overlap with the front speaker output. This will result in a cleaner, more focused sound stage while providing a seamless frequency response. When subwoofer frequency overlap occurs in conventional systems, the overall sound is "pushed" toward the subwoofer. Subwoofer Trim takes care of this by separating the low subwoofer frequencies cleanly, thus stabilizing the front stage while providing a well-balanced enhanced bass sound.
Volume Setup: The Yamaha CX-A5100 allows you to customize the preamplifier's volume levels.
- Volume Scale: You can choose to display the "Relative" volume scale (-80 to +16dB) or an "Absolute" volume scale (0 to 97).
- Max Volume Adjustment: Use this feature to set the preamplifier's maximum volume level. This feature is useful to avoid turning the volume too loud by mistake. You can set the Max Volume from -30 dB to +15 dB in 5 dB steps, or to +16.5 dB (full volume range is -80 dB to +16.5 dB).
- Initial Volume Setting: Use this feature to set the volume level when the power is turned on. You can choose between Off (same as the volume when the unit was turned off), Mute, and -80 dB to + 16.5 dB in increments of 0.5 dB.
- Volume Trim: Use this feature to adjust the volume level of each input. This is useful to balance the level of each input to avoid sudden changes in volume when switching between input sources. The range is from -6dB to +6dB in 0.5dB increments.
Audio Inputs/Outputs: The Yamaha CX-A5100 offers a variety of analog and digital audio inputs/outputs.
- XLR Input/Preamp Outputs: The AV preamplifier is fitted with a pair of XLR inputs for connection of a high-end Super Audio CD player. The CX-A5100 is also equipped with eleven XLR preamp outputs (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R, Front Presence L/R, Rear Presence L/R) to connect to Yamaha's MX-A5000 power amplifier.
- 11.2ch RCA Preamp Outputs: The preamplifier features also 11.2-channel pre-amp outputs (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R, Front Presence L/R, Rear Presence L/R, and Dual Subs) for connection to the MX-A5000 power amplifier or another manufacture's power amp, plus up to two powered subwoofers.
- Digital Inputs: The Yamaha AV preamplifier is equipped with four optical digital inputs (3 rear/1 front), three coaxial digital inputs (rear), and one optical digital output (rear).
- Stereo RCA Jacks + Phono Input: The preamplifier is also equipped with nine stereo RCA analog audio inputs (8 rear/1 front), a single stereo RCA analog audio record output, and stereo RCA Zone 2/3 outputs; as well as Phono input (MM) for vinyl playback.
- 7.1ch RCA Input: This unit has a discrete 7.1-channel analog input for connecting DVD-Audio and Super-Audio CD players or an external decoder. (The front channels are connected to the "Audio 3" input jacks, while the other channels have specifically marked inputs.)
- Headphone Jack: The Yamaha CX-A5100 is equipped with a front-panel 1/4" headphone jack for connecting a set of headphone, so you can listen to your music privately. Connecting a set of headphones automatically mutes the preamplifier's speaker outputs. Sound effects applied during playback can also be heard through the headphones.
HDMI 2.0a: The Yamaha CX-A5100 AV preamplifier is fitted with eight HDMI 2.0a (7 rear/1 front) inputs and two HDMI 2.0a outputs to deliver crystal-clear, all-digital audio and video signals. The two HDMI outputs can be set to display the same video signal or the second HDMI monitor output can be assigned to Zone 2 or Zone 4 (not both) for the display of two different HDMI sources; simultaneously. The HDMI 2.0a jacks support 4K/60Hz and 1080p video signals; as well as 3D video and ARC functionality. Deep Color (30/36 bit), x.v.Color, and auto Lip-Sync compensation are also supported via HDMI. The AV preamplifier's HDMI jacks support 2-channel and multi-channel linear PCM (up to 8-channel) and Bitstream (Dolby Digital, DTS, etc) digital audio formats.
- 4K/60Hz (4:4:4) + HDCP 2.2: This AV preamplifier supports the latest HDMI standards thanks to the transmission of 4K video @ 60 frames per second on all HDMI inputs and outputs. It will also support RGB, YCbCr 4:4:4, YCbCr 4:2:2 as well as YCbCr 4:2:0 video signal for more vibrant and lifelike images. The preamp's HDMI 1-3 inputs and both HDMI monitor outputs also support HDCP 2.2 which fully complies with the latest copyright protection, a standard for 4K video transmission.
- 3D Ready: The Yamaha Aventage AV preamplifier supports 3D HDMI pass-through from connected 3D-compatible Blu-ray, games and broadcast devices to 3D-compatible HDTVs (all 3D components must be connected via HDMI). 3D provides a more engaging audio and video consumer experience. Note that special eyewear may be required for viewing 3D content
- ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature of the preamplifier's main HDMI monitor output allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to the preamplifier through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
- Deep/x.v.Color Support: The AV preamplifier supports Deep Color and x.v.Color content, which can display a larger color range than standard-definition schemes. The result is a more lifelike, vibrant picture
- LipSync: This function adjusts the delay between audio and video output. You can do this manually or have the preamplifier set the LipSync function automatically. When connected to a TV via HDMI the preamplifier automatically adjusts audio output timing (0-500ms) if the TV supports an automatic LipSync function. You can also manually delay the sound output up to 500ms to synchronize it with the video image.
4K Video Upscaling: The Yamaha Aventage CX-A5100 is capable of outstanding upscaling and i/p conversion quality. This AV preamplifier will upscale video signals from analog (up to 1080i)-to-HDMI and HDMI-to-HDMI, up to 4K. This means a much better picture with HDTVs capable of 720p, 1080i, 1080p, or 4K resolution.
Optimized Video Processing: Yamaha's high-end video projector engineering expertise has produced various advanced processing techniques that are applied to this AV preamplifier. These include edge adaptive deinterlacing to smooth out jaggy noise, motion adaptive deinterlacing to detect moving or still images for precise pixel-by-pixel processing, and multi-cadence detection including 3-2 pull-down. Proper processing makes viewing enjoyment complete no matter what video source or content.
HDMI Standby Through Mode: When the CX-A5100 is in standby mode (power off), the Standby Through feature allows HDMI source signals to pass through the preamplifier to the TV. The HDMI input can be changed using the remote control. So, there's no need to turn on the AV preamplifier in order to switch HDMI sources.
Analog Video: The Yamaha CX-A5100 offers both composite and component analog video jacks. The preamplifier offers three component video inputs and one component video monitor output (which can also be assigned to Zone 2/3). These jacks have a frequency response of 5 Hz to 60 MHz and will pass High Definition video sources up to 1080p. The preamplfier also features five composite video inputs (4 rear/1 front) and one composite video monitor output (which can also be assigned to Zone 2/3).
Background Video: The Background Video feature allows you to watch a video source while listening to a different audio source. With the CX-A5100, you can select any video input, and listen to AM/FM radio or select songs from a USB device, Bluetooth, or Network source at the same time.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Yamaha AV preamplifier is fitted with a RJ-45 Ethernet (LAN) port to connect the preamplifier to your home network. The unit also offers built-in WiFi (IEEE 802.11 b/g/n; 2.4GHz) for a wireless network connection; WPS, WEP, WPA-PSK (TKIP), WPA-PSK (AES), WPA2-PSK (AES) security protection is supported. Either network connection gives the preamp access to your DLNA music server and various online music services. Wireless network setup can be done via WPS button, Access Point Scan, Manual Setting, PIN Code, or even through your Apple iOS device (5.0+).
Internet Radio: The Yamaha Aventage CX-A5100's network connection provides access to Pandora, Spotify, SiriusXM, Napster, and vTuner Internet Radio online music services. You can control the Internet Radio services from the AV preamplifier's remote control and on-screen menu (via HDMI). The preamp will display station name, album name, song title, and elapsed time on your HDMI-connected television.
|Pandora||Pandora is free, personalized radio that plays music and comedy you'll love. Just start with the name of one of your favorite artists, songs, comedians or composers and Pandora will create a custom station that plays similar tracks. You can also rate (thumbs up/thumbs down) songs as they play, and Pandora will adapt stations to your feedback. You can even bookmark up to 100 stations and easily switch between favorites.|
|Spotify Connect||With the Spotify app (premium account required) on your Apple iOS or Android smartphone, you've got instant access to millions of songs. And now you can stream those same songs from your smartphone to the Yamaha AV preamplifier by using Spotify Connect; simply hit play on the app to start streaming music. What's more, when you've been listening to Spotify on your smartphone outside and come inside, the song immediately begins to stream to the preamp for uninterrupted music enjoyment. You can also personalize playlists and receive phone calls while listening to music.|
|SiriusXM||Requires firmware update. SiriusXM Internet Radio lets you listen to over 120 channels of commercial-free music, talk radio, news, sports, entertainment, and more.|
|Napster||Napster is a streaming music subscription service (starting a $10 per month) that allows you to play the full-length songs you choose on demand from a collection of over 10 million songs, without ads and without having to purchase or download the music.|
|vTuner||You can also listen to Internet radio stations using the vTuner Internet Radio Station database service particularly customized for this unit, providing a database of numerous radio stations around the world. You can search for Internet Radio stations by Location, Genre, New, Popular, or Podcast.|
DLNA + WiFi Direct: The Yamaha Aventage AV preamplifier supports music streaming from WiFi-enabled devices (via WiFi Direct) and DLNA certified devices (via your home network). Supported music files include; MP3 (up to 48 kHz), WMA (up to 48 kHz), AAC (up to 48 kHz), ALAC (up to 96 kHz), AIFF (up to 192kHz), WAV (up to 192 kHz), FLAC (up to 192 kHz), and DSD (2.8/5.6MHz).
- WiFi Direct: When using WiFi Direct, you can connect directly with other WiFi-enabled devices without using a wireless router. You'll be able to wirelessly stream a variety of music files to the Yamaha preamplifier without connecting to your home network. WiFi Direct completely bypasses your WiFi access point/router, so it's easy to set up. You'll continue to navigate your music and view song/artist information from your mobile device.
- DLNA Certified: The CX-A5100 is DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5 and Windows 7/8 compliant for audio networking. This means it's easier for you to access and enjoy digital music stored on your PC over your home network. You can use your PC to play high-bit rate music content through your audio system, or use the CX-A5100 to browse and play music files on your hard drive. You can control playback of your streamed audio files from the AV preamplifier's remote control. The preamp also supports ID3-Tag and META tag information so song title, artist name, and album name can be displayed from the unit's on-screen menu (via HDMI). The AV preamplifier supports the following DLNA music servers - (1) PC with Windows Media Player 11 or later installed, (2) PC with DLNA/UPnP Certificate server software installed, (3) NAS with DLNA/UPnP certification.
AM/FM Tuner: The Yamaha Aventage AV preamplfier features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, and preset tuning. The CX-A5100 lets you store up to 40 AM/FM station presets. This can be done manually or automatically (auto-preset tuning). You can set this preamp to automatically match FM broadcast frequencies in stereo, or convert the frequency to monaural for weaker stations. An indoor FM wire antenna and AM loop antenna are included with the preamplifier.
Web Control: When connected to your network (with Internet connection), you can control the Yamaha AV preamplifier with the web control screen displayed in your PC's web browser. You'll be able to control functions such as, Power On/Off & Volume. Internet Explorer 7.x, 8.x, 9.x is recommended for web browser.
Firmware Updates: New firmware will be released for the purpose of additional features or product improvements. Firmware updates can be downloaded from the Yamaha website. If this unit is connected to the Internet, the preamplifier will indicate when a new firmware version is available and you can download the firmware via the network connection. Firmware updates normally take approximately 20 minutes or longer. Check Yamaha's Support Download Site for the most recent firmware updates.
USB Port: This AV preamplifier is equipped with a front-panel USB (type-A) port that allows you to enjoy a variety of music files stored on a USB mass storage class memory device; such as select Android smartphones (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only), portable MP3 players, or USB thumbdrives (not compatible with USB HDDs). Your USB mass storage class device must be formatted in FAT 16 or FAT32.You can use the preamplfier's on-screen menu (via HDMI) and remote control to navigate your stored music files on your connected USB memory device. USB portable audio players that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the AV preamp's USB port (5V/1A); even in standby mode. Compatible music files include:
- MP3 (up to 48 kHz)
- WMA (up to 48 kHz)
- AAC (up to 48 kHz)
- ALAC (up to 96 kHz)
- AIFF (up to 192 kHz)
- WAV (up to 192 kHz)
- FLAC (up to 192 kHz)
- DSD (2.8/5.6 MHz)
Note: While listening to a song from a USB device, you can view a favorite video or photo from the preamp's monitor output.
iPod/iPhone Connectivity: The Yamaha Aventage CX-A5100 offers wired (via USB) and wireless (via AirPlay) connectivity for your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad. You can even watch video from your Apple device via the preamplifier's front-panel HDMI input.
- AirPlay: AirPlay lets you stream your favorite songs directly from your Apple iOS (4.3.3+) device or from your iTunes (10.2.2+) library on your Windows PC or Mac computer to the AV preamplifier, over your home's wireless network connection. From your Apple iOS device you are able to stream stored music on your device, downloaded music apps, and music on your iCloud to the AV preamplifier. From your Windows or Mac you can stream your stored iTunes music library on your computer to the AV preamplifier; you can even download Apple's free Remote App onto your compatible iOS device to browse and control playback functions of the music stored in your iTunes music library on your computer that is being streamed to the AV preamplifier. With AirPlay you also get to see song/artist information and album art via the preamp's on-screen menu (via HDMI).
- USB Direct: The USB (type-A) port on the front-panel provides convenient connection for your iPod/iPhone so you can listen to your stored music and music apps through the Yamaha AV preamplifier. The iPod/iPhone USB digital connection means that the digital audio signal from your iPod/iPhone is transmitted directly to the system, minimizing noise interference and allowing use of the preamp's DAC, not the DAC in your iPod/iPhone. This results in more precise sound reproduction. You can navigate your iPod/iPhone's music via the preamp's on-screen menu (via HDMI) and remote control, or continue to use your iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen. You can browse your iPod/iPhone's stored music content via Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Genre, or Composer. You can also control Repeat & Shuffle functions. Basic playback functions (such as Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track) for music apps can also be controlled by the AV preamplifier's remote. Song/artist information and Album Art from stored music and music apps on your iPod/iPhone will display on your connected TV (via HDMI); the unit's front-panel display will also indicate song/artist text.
- HDMI Video: You can also view video from stored movies and movie apps from select iPods, iPhone, and iPads by connecting your Apple device to the AV preamplifier's front-panel USB and HDMI input. Use the Apple Lightning-to-Digital AV Adapter (472LT2HDMI sold separately), the Apple Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your device, and a HDMI cable (sold separately) to connect your Lightning connector iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad to the AV preamplifier. Use the Apple Dock-to-Digital AV Adapter (sold separately), the Apple Dock-to-USB cable that came with your device, and a HDMI cable (sold separately) to connect your iPod touch (4th gen), iPhone 4/4S, or iPad (1/2/3). Using the HDMI input, video from your iPod/iPhone/iPad can only be navigated from your Apple device's clickwheel or touchscreen (select Simple mode on preamplifier).
Note: Your Apple device's battery will be charged while connected to the preamp's front-panel USB port (max. 1A).
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: Using the Lightning- or Dock-cable that came with your Apple device to connect directly to the Yamaha AV preamplifier, iPod/iPhone compatibility is as follows (as of 10/11/2015):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Connector Type||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|USB||AirPlay||Bluetooth||Audio||Video||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Album Art||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Line-Level Zone 2 & 3 (Audio/Video): The Yamaha AV preamplifier's Zone 2/Zone 3 outputs allow you to play the same or different audio/video sources in other rooms of your home. The AV preamplifier has dedicated stereo preamp outputs (requires separate amps) for both Zone 2 & 3. The analog video monitor outputs (component or composite) can also be assigned to Zone 2 or Zone 3 (but not both). The volume of Zone 2 or Zone 3 can be controlled by the Yamaha preamplifier or from your add-on integrated amplifier. You can select the following input sources for Zone 2 or 3.
- Analog Audio/Video Inputs (the video conversion between analog video jacks does not work for the multi-zone output; to watch video in another zone, you need to connect the Zone 2/3 video monitor out in the same way as the video input device)
- HDMI 2Ch PCM Audio (Zone 2 only; not available in Zone 3)
- Optical/Coaxial Digital Audio Inputs (2ch PCM only)
- USB (including iPod/iPhone)
- AirPlay & Bluetooth
- AM/FM Tuner & Internet Radio (You cannot select different radio stations from a single source for each zone).
- DLNA & Network Content (you cannot select different online music services for each zone)
HDMI Zone 2 & 4 (Audio/Video): The AV preamplifier's HDMI Output 2 terminal can be assigned to output audio/video content to Zone 2 or Zone 4 (but not both). Yamaha's advanced HDMI zone switching adds the capability to choose from all analog or digital audio/video sources for playback in Zone 2. However, Zone 4 only offers playback of the same or different HDMI connected audio/video sources. The Zone 2/4 HDMI output can be connected directly to a TV for basic video and 2ch audio playback. It can also be connected to a secondary home theater receiver for multi-channel playback in another zone. An on-screen graphical user interface makes it easy to browse and select content to enjoy from Zone 2 (not Zone 4), no matter what is being played in the main zone. You can select the following input sources for Zone 2 or 4.
- HDMI Audio/Video (Multichannel or 2ch PCM)
- Analog Audio/Video Inputs (Zone 2 only; not available in Zone 4)
- Optical/Coaxial Digital Audio Inputs (Zone 2 only; not available in Zone 4)
- USB + iPod/iPhone (Zone 2 only; not available in Zone 4)
- AirPlay & Bluetooth (Zone 2 only; not available in Zone 4)
- AM/FM Tuner & Internet Radio (Zone 2 only; not available in Zone 4)
- DLNA & Network Content (Zone 2 only; not available in Zone 4)
Party Mode: The Party Mode allows you to enjoy the AV preamplifier's Main Zone audio source in Zone2 & Zone3, simultaneously (regardless of input audio signal types - analog or digital). During the party mode, stereo playback is automatically selected for all zones. The Main Zone, Zone 2, & Zone 3 volume can all be adjusted independently. Utilize this function when you want to play back an audio source as background music in two rooms of your home. Zone 4 is only available when an HDMI input source is selected in the main zone.
MusicCast Wireless Multiroom Streaming: This AV preamplifier supports Yamaha's MusicCast multiroom audio eco-system, which allows you to wirelessly play back a wide variety of audio sources and content in multiple rooms of your home (additional MusicCast products sold separately). MusicCast works with your home's existing WiFi router and Yamaha's free MusicCast App for Apple iOS and Android devices. You'll be able to stream the preamp's tuner, analog inputs, digital inputs, Bluetooth, and network sources to other MusicCast products installed in your home. In addition, you'll be able to stream your MusicCast products' sources to the AV preamplifier. MusicCast supports the following source content.
- Analog & Digital Sources: External devices connected to the preamplifier via HDMI, optical/coax digital, analog, or USB can be played back over the MusicCast eco-system. *Multi-channel content (5.1ch/7.1ch) is down-mixed to 2-channel sound for playback in other rooms without affecting the master room.
- Online Music Services: MusicCast offers support for Pandora, Spotify Connect, SiriusXM, Napster & vTuner. Tidal & Deezer will be available through a firmware update scheduled for the late summer of 2017.
- DLNA: MusicCast supports DLNA, allowing access to DLNA-compatible computers and network attached storage (NAS) devices. With support for WAV, FLAC, and AIFF (up to 192kHz/24-bit), ALAC (up to 96kHz/24-bit), and MP3, WMA, and AAC (up to 48kHz). Master room playback is at the native sampling rate and other rooms down-convert to 48kHz.
- Bluetooth: The preamplifier's Bluetooth source (SBC codec only) can be streamed to multiple MusicCast devices, so Bluetooth audio can be played in multiple rooms simultaneously. MusicCast devices can also stream out non-Bluetooth sources to most any Bluetooth speaker or headphones (regardless of manufacture), making it convenient to expand MusicCast to your existing audio products.
Note: This feature will require a firmware update.
MusicCast App: The free MusicCast app can be downloaded for Apple (iOS 7.1+) iPod/iPhone/iPad and Android (OS4.1+) smartphones/tablets. The MusicCast app puts control of your whole home listening experience in the palm of your hand from your Apple iOS or Android device. You'll be able to quickly select the room or rooms you want to listen to music in, select the source or sources you want to listen to, browse music content from your music library and online music services or Internet Radio, plus control music playback functions.
- Rooms: Choose which room or rooms you want to listen to music in. You can select a different source for each room, group certain rooms together for playback of the same source, or link all rooms together so the same source is played back throughout the house.
- Source Selection: From the app you can select which source or sources you want to listen to; choose from network-connected devices, select online music services, Internet Radio or Bluetooth. You can also select from the AV preamplifier's HDMI, digital, analog, and USB inputs.
- Zone Control: You can activate the preamplifier's Zone function from the app's settings menu. The MusicCast app will then allow you to select inputs and provide basic volume controls on secondary zones.
- Music Browsing: You can browse music libraries from your network-connected devices; like your smartphone, tablet, computer, or laptop. You can also browse music content from select online music services and search Internet Radio stations from the MusicCast app.
- Playback & Song/Artist Info: From the MusiCast app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device you get Volume Up/Down, Play/Pause, and Previous/Next Track; as well as song/artist information and album art.
- Favorites: Internet radio stations, content from select online music services, plus playlists and songs from your network-connected device's music library can be saved as "Favorites" for quick recall within the MusicCast app.
- Personalization & Customization: With the app's unique personalization features, you can choose from preloaded room images or change the color of buttons to represent each room in the home, or even take pictures of their own home and assign the images to each button. The content source buttons can also be customized to rename, remove or reorder selections for easier operation.
Note: Up to 10 MusicCast devices can be controlled by the MusicCast app.
Advanced On-Screen Menu: The CX-A5100 offers an advanced on-screen menu system via its HDMI output. This clean and simple interface makes setup and other operations extremely easy. Yamaha's latest graphical user interface (GUI) has a high resolution display with clear, easy-to-use menus and also includes a selectable status bar that shows input source, volume level, DSP mode and audio format. The GUI can be displayed over both normal and 3D pictures. You can set the preamplifier's on-screen menu language to English, French, Spanish, Japanese, German, Russian, or Chinese. If your TV is connected to the composite video or component video monitor output, you will need to use the AV preamplifier's front-panel display when changing settings.
Scene Plus: The Scene Plus function simplifies operation by providing one touch power-on, along with selection of the desired source and the appropriate DSP programs. Scene Plus offers a choice of 12 Scene selections, four of which can be assigned to the second zone in a multi-zone system. Scene Plus can be selected from the preamplifier's front panel, remote control, on-screen GUI, and even from the Apple iOS or Android app. Pressing a Scene button will automatically launch a number of operations that initiate play of the source controlled by that button.
Gapless Playback: Many live and classical albums have no gaps in the music. Gapless playback ensures that there are no pauses between audio files. This provides playback with no interruptions, the way it was meant to be heard. Compatible with WAV, FLAC, AIFF, and ALAC music files via USB or DLNA.
Favorites: You can register up to 40 favorites from USB and network content. These favorite shortcuts can be accessed directly from the remote control. Only the input source will be registered for Bluetooth and AirPlay.
Input Rename & Skip: You can rename each input so the display reflects the actual source; choose from 15 templates or create an original name, up to nine characters. If an input isn't being used, you can hide it from the display so you don't have to scroll past it when you change sources.
Display Dimmer: You can set the brightness of the front-panel display from -4 to 0.
ECO Mode: When the ECO Mode is enabled, you can reduce the preamplifier' power consumption by keeping the maximum volume, maximum output power, and front display's brightness low. ECO mode reduces power consumption by approximately 20%.
Timers: The preamplifier offers a programmable Sleep Timer and Auto Power Down function.
- Sleep Timer: The preamplifier's Sleep Timer function can be set turn the unit automatically off after 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
- Auto Power Down: If you don't operate the preamplifier or use the remote for an extended period of time, the unit will automatically go into standby mode (Auto Power Down function). The Auto Power Down feature is selectable from 2, 4, 8 or 12 hours.
Memory Guard: This feature is used to prevent accidental changes to the DSP program parameter values and other system settings.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The CX-A5100 is equipped with built-in Bluetooth (version 2.1+EDR w/ A2DP) which let you easily enjoy wireless audio playback of stored music and music apps from your Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, Windows Phone/PC, Mac computer/laptop, and other Bluetooth-enabled devices through the AV preamplifier. Song/artist information will be displayed on your HDMI connected TV's screen and the front-panel of the preamplifier. You'll still use your Bluetooth-enabled device to control music playback.
- SBC + AAC Codecs: In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the Yamaha preamplifier offers support of AAC. By supporting AAC, the preamplifier offers better audio performance of the music streamed from your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
- Compressed Music Enhancer: The Yamaha preamplifier's Compressed Music Enhancer feature is even optimized for Bluetooth audio transmissions to ensure that your music will have vivid, lively sound quality during wireless playback.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Yamaha AV preamplifier.
AV Controller App: Download Yamaha's free AV Controller App (from Apple's App Store or GooglePlay) onto your Apple iOS (5.0+) or Android (2.1+) device and turn your mobile device into a WiFi enabled remote control for the Yamaha AV preamplifier. Your Apple iOS or Android device must be connected to the same home network as the Yamaha AV preamplifier.
- Basic Remote Functions: The AV Controller App provides the flexibility to control input, volume, mute and power commands from your compatible Apple iOS or Android device.
- DSP Controller: You can use the AV Controller App to adjust DSP soundfields & parameters to your preference to match the type of music/movie or the mood you want to achieve. There are two modes - (1) Basic, which lets you adjust the sound space by simply pinching the screen in-and-out; and (2) Advanced, which allows detailed adjustment of various parameters such as reverb, initial delay, and liveness.
- Internal Content Browsing: Using this app on your Apple iOS or Android device, you can browse and listen to content from all internally available sources; such as Internet Radio, Pandora, Spotify, USB devices, and the AM/FM tuner.
- Wireless Music Streaming: From the app, you can browse music stored on your Apple iOS or Android device and wirelessly transfer the content to the Yamaha AV preamplifier for playback.
- Zone Control: You can control power on/off, source selection, volume and other functions of Zone 2/3/4. Customization such as changing zone icon and renaming zone is also supported.
- Blu-Ray Player: This App not only controls the Yamaha AV preamplifier, it also controls Yamaha Blu-ray Disc Players, supporting various functions including Play/Pause, Stop, Fast Forward/Rewind, and Previous/Next Track.
Programmable IR Remote: The preamplifier comes with a learning/multibrand wireless remote control. In addition to the preamplifier, the remote can be programmed to control multiple brands of TVs, Blu-ray players, DVD players/recorders, DVRs, VCRs, etc. The remote features an LCD window which displays operational information. With a single press of a button you can illuminate the remote control's buttons for 10 seconds.
- Learning: If you cannot find a remote control code for your playback device or if any key on the remote control does not work after you set the program code, you can use the Learn function to "teach" the preamplifier's remote to operate your playback device.
- Macros: The remote also offers a Macro function which allows you to program a series of button operations in sequence to a single button on the remote. This remote can remember up to 4 macro functions; each macro can record a maximum of 10 steps.
HDMI Control: The Yamaha AV preamplifier supports the HDMI control function, which allows you to operate external components via HDMI. If your TV or other external components support HDMI control, you can use the remote controls of those devices to operate some of this unit's functions, and to synchronize this unit with the operation of those devices. You can use the following operations with the remote control of any of the connected HDMI Control compatible devices.
- Power synchronization (On/Standby)
- Volume control, including Mute
- Changing the volume of the audio output signal device (either the TV or the preamplifier)
Remote Connections: The CX-A5100 offers a variety of remote connections.
- 12V Trigger Outputs: The CX-A5100 provides two "Trigger Out" jacks (3.5mm) that enable control of connected component functions such as power on/off and input selection. The Yamaha Aventage MX-A5000 or another amplifier, or subwoofer with a "Trigger In" jack can be connected to allow use of the convenient trigger function.
- Remote Jacks: The preamplifier has two remote input and two remote output minijack (3.5mm) terminals for use with external IR preamplifiers and compatible Yamaha components.
- RS-232C Port: The AV preamplifier's RS-232C port provides seamless integration with a wide range of third-party home automation control systems.
Alexa Compatible (Firmware Update Required): Alexa-enabled devices (including the Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, Tap and Echo Show) will soon be able to control key functions of a MusicCast system using voice commands. A firmware update (available sometime in October), will be available for download that allows key functions of MusicCast products to be controlled using your voice through Alexa-enabled devices (sold separately).
- Alexa Skill: The MusicCast skill for Alexa will allow you to power MusicCast products on and off, control basic playback functions, make selections from a playlist of favorite music, adjust the volume, and use the Link function for playback of multiple MusicCast products simultaneously.
- Echo Source Input: In addition or alternatively, an Echo device can be used as a music/audio source for a MusicCast system. All MusicCast devices offer a Bluetooth input. Just pair your Echo, Echo Dot or Echo Show with any MusicCast wireless speaker, sound bar or AV receiver and the sound will play from the MusicCast device. Using the MusicCast app, you can then select the Bluetooth input and link multiple MusicCast devices for playback, allowing you to hear it throughout your home. Many MusicCast products also offer inputs which can be connected to Echo Dot via its line output, if a wired connection is preferred over Bluetooth. This requires using an optional analog audio cable (sold separately). Using the MusicCast app, you can select the wired input and link multiple MusicCast devices for playback, allowing you to hear sound from Echo Dot throughout your home.
Note: You will need an Alexa-enabled device (Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, Tap, or Echo Show - all sold separately) to operate certain functions of your MusicCast products via voice-command. The MusicCast components and the Alexa-enabled devices must be on the same network.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
18 questions already asked