About the Yamaha AVENTAGE CX-A5200
Premium home theater with cutting-edge wireless features
Premium home theater with cutting-edge wireless features
Yamaha knows home theater inside and out. Their top-of-the-line CX-A5200 preamp/processor offers the very best audio and video performance this legendary brand has to offer, along with tons of wired and wireless setup options. You'll get flexible home theater and multi-room entertainment options, with outstanding sound processing for movies and music.
Decoding for Dolby Atmos and DTS:X brings movie soundtracks to life with incredible realism. This pre/pro lets you enjoy 4K video sources on up to three compatible displays, and it even upscales analog and HDMI sources, so you can enjoy more of your video content in Ultra HD resolution.
For music lovers
The CX-A5200 can play a variety of high-resolution audio formats through its front-panel USB port or from a networked computer. If you're a vinyl lover, a phono input provides an easy connection for your turntable. This pre/pro also gives you the flexibility to set up a wired stereo music system in up to two additional rooms.
Wireless surround sound? Yes, please
Want fewer wires in your life? Add MusicCast 20 or MusicCast 50 wireless streaming speakers. This AV preamplifier allows them to be connected as wireless surround speakers in a 5.1 home theater system with traditional wired front and center channel speakers.
Making the most of analog and digital sources
When you see those 3-pin balanced XLR connectors lined up across the CX-A5200's back panel, you know you're getting a preamp designed for top audio performance. With XLR inputs and outputs, this preamp can maintain a balanced signal path from your high-end stereo source component all the way through to your power amp. This reduces the noise in the transmission, letting your music's detail and dynamics shine through.
Digital audio signals from Blu-ray and CD players are handled by two 32-bit/384kHz ESS SABRE PRO Premier digital-to-analog converters, for audiophile-grade performance in stereo or surround sound.
The AVENTAGE difference
For their AVENTAGE series components, Yamaha uses custom-designed parts with anti-resonance technology to reduce distortion caused by vibration. Shielded power supplies and a large toroidal power transformer allow for quiet operation. The CX-A5200's rigid H-shaped frame adds stability to cut out chassis vibration almost completely.
A specially designed fifth foot at the center of the pre/pro's base helps dampen internal and external vibrations, while the aluminum front panel further shields sensitive circuitry from external electronic interference for optimal sound quality. All of Yamaha's attention to detail in the CX-A5200's construction results in accurate playback, precise imaging, and a wide, natural soundstage.
A world of wireless listening options
Built-in support for streaming services like Spotify®, TIDAL, and Pandora® lets you play and control your favorite music directly through the receiver. Apple® AirPlay® lets you stream from a compatible iOS® device, and Bluetooth adds even more streaming flexibility. You can even stream audio from the receiver to a set of Bluetooth headphones — great for late-night listening.
MusicCast lets you listen the way you want
Yamaha's MusicCast technology makes it easier than ever to set up a whole-home wireless music system. You can add audio playback in up to nine additional rooms with compatible Yamaha wireless speakers and sound bars.
MusicCast lets you stream music from your personal collection, internet radio, and streaming services. You can also play Bluetooth sources, sound from your TV, and even CDs and vinyl. The free MusicCast Controller app makes it easy to access your music and control what you have playing in different rooms.
"Alexa, turn up the volume"
Alexa voice control integration means you only have to ask when you want to play music, control volume, or turn the receiver on and off. Alexa can even help you link or unlink rooms in your multi-room MusicCast system.
- Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding
- Dolby Atmos® and DTS:X™ for more enveloping home theater sound
- supports 5.1.2, 5.1.4, 7.1.2 , and 7.1.4 Atmos setups with multiple placement patterns for height channels
- video upconversion (up to 1080p and 4K) for analog and HDMI sources
- MusicCast Surround lets you add MusicCast 20 or MusicCast 50 speakers to create a 5.1-channel setup with wireless rear surrounds
- YPAO (Yamaha Parametric Room Acoustic Optimizer) automatic speaker calibration with Reflected Sound Control to deliver more accurate surround sound across different listening levels (microphone included)
- 64-bit Precision EQ calculation for more natural room acoustics
- 34 DSP programs add richness and depth to music and movie soundtracks
- improved CINEMA DSP HD3 with signal processing algorithms for a heightened sense of realism
- Virtual Cinema Front simulates surround sound effects when five connected speakers are all placed in the front of the room
- Adaptive Dynamic Range Control limits the volume level on sound effects and commercials for more discreet late-night listening
- Dialogue Lift and Level Adjustment for clearer, louder dialogue while watching movies and shows
- Surround:AI technology analyzes your content and creates optimal surround effects in real time
Digital and Streaming Music Options:
- built-in Wi-Fi for listening to music from a networked PC, free internet radio, and music services
- Spotify Connect lets you play Spotify's streaming music library through the receiver via your smartphone or tablet (requires Spotify app and a premium subscription)
- MusicCast wirelessly connects compatible Yamaha components for whole home audio
- includes support for Pandora®, Spotify®, SiriusXM Internet Radio, TIDAL, Deezer, Napster and more
- free MusicCast app offers easy Wi-Fi control, settings adjustments, and music selection and playback
- works with Amazon Alexa-compatible voice control assistants
- built-in Bluetooth® for wireless music streaming and transmission
- Apple AirPlay 2 for flexible streaming options with compatible Apple devices
- plays high-resolution digital music files via USB storage device or a networked computer (PCM up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution; DSD up to 11.2 MHz .dsf files)
- four-room/four-source output
- line-level outputs for Zones 2 and 3
- Party Mode ensures that all zones stay in sync when playing the same source
- Zone HDMI output for watching video content from different sources simultaneously in two different rooms
- 2nd HDMI output assignable to Zone 4 (HDMI sources only)
Audio Performance Features:
- two professional-grade 32-bit/384kHz ESS SABRE PRO Premier ES9026PRO digital-to-analog converters for all channels
- Compressed Music Enhancer improves sound quality of MP3s and upconverts CDs and FLAC files to 24-bit/96kHz resolution
- heavy-duty bottom plate adds stability for optimal sound
- large, redesigned power transformer for maximum performance and precision with thick brass bottom plate to dampen unwanted vibrations
- Pure Direct mode switches off front-panel display, tone controls, and DSP circuitry for cleaner sound with analog audio sources
- HDMI audio/video switching: 7 in, 3 out
- HDCP 2.2 technology ensures compatibility with 4K Ultra HD sources and TVs
- HDR-compatible for extended picture contrast and brightness with compatible 4K TVs and HDR-encoded content
- supports HDR10, Dolby Vision™, and HLG
- 2 component video inputs
- 4 composite video inputs
- digital audio inputs: 3 optical and 3 coaxial
- 8 sets of unbalanced stereo RCA audio inputs (includes front-panel input)
- 1 set of balanced stereo XLR audio inputs
- MM phono input for connecting a turntable
- 11.2-channel balanced XLR preamp outputs include XLR outputs for 2 powered subwoofers
- 11.2-channel unbalanced RCA preamp outputs include outputs for 2 powered subwoofers
- unbalanced RCA preamp inputs for surround and surround back channels, center channel, and subwoofer
- full-size (1/4") headphone output jack
- Ethernet port for network connection
- front-panel USB port for audio playback from USB flash drives, hard disk drives, and portable music players
- RS-232C input, 1 remote input/output (IR) and two 12-volt trigger outputs for use with external controllers
- 4K video pass-through and upscaling
- free Yamaha MusicCast Controller app lets you use your Apple or Android™ device as a Wi-Fi remote
- full-color on-screen display
- HDMI standby pass-through allows HDMI switching without powering up preamp
- AM/FM tuner
- remote control
- detachable power cord
- 17-1/8"W x 7-9/16"H x 19-3/8"D
- weight: 33.5 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # CX-A5200BL
What's in the box:
- 11.2ch AV preamplifier
- 6.5' AC power cord
- Wireless remote control (RAV571)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- YPAO microphone
- Mic base/stand
- 2 WLAN/Bluetooth antennas (installed)
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna
- Quick Start Guide
- Warranty Information
- "Yamaha Worldwide Representative Offices" note
- Spotify Connect brochure
- Online Product Registration note
Yamaha AVENTAGE CX-A5200 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Yamaha AVENTAGE CX-A5200
Features & specs
|Apple AirPlay||AirPlay 2|
|App Remote Control||Yes|
|Auto Speaker Calibration||YPAO RSC 3D Multi|
|Preamp Multi-room Audio Output||Yes|
|Multi-room HDMI Output||Yes|
|Total Number of Zones||4|
|Playback from Digital Audio Inputs||Yes|
|Playback from Streaming Sources||Yes|
|Dolby Digital||DD, EX, TrueHD, DD+|
|Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization||No|
|DTS||DTS, ES, HD, HDMA, DTS:X, Neo6, 96/|
|Inputs & Outputs|
|RCA Analog Stereo Inputs||9|
|XLR Analog Stereo Inputs||1|
|Component Video Inputs||2|
|Component Video Monitor Outputs||None|
|Optical Digital Inputs||3|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||3|
|XLR Digital Inputs||None|
|Optical Digital Outputs||None|
|Coaxial Digital Outputs||None|
|XLR Digital Outputs||None|
|Number of HDMI Inputs||7|
|HDMI Monitor Outputs||3|
|Discrete Subwoofer Outputs||Yes|
|Multi-Channel Analog Input||Yes|
|Multi-channel Preamp Output||11.2ch, Zone 2/3|
|XLR Analog Preamp Outputs||13|
|Removable Power Cord||IEC 2-prong|
|Supports Wireless Rear Speakers||Yes|
|VRR (Variable Refresh Rate)||No|
|ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode)||No|
|Audio Return Channel||eARC supported|
|Video Upscaling||To 4K|
|HDR (High Dynamic Range) Support|
|Multibrand Remote Control||No|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
11.2ch AV Preamplifier: Combined with the Yamaha Aventage MX-A5200 11.2 channel power amplifier or other manufacturer's multichannel amplifier (sold separately), the Yamaha Aventage CX-A5200 11.2ch AV preamplifier can be used to create up to a 9.2ch, 7.2.2ch, or 5.2.4ch home theater setup; along with outputs for Zone 2 and Zone 3 power amplifiers. The Aventage series AV preamplifier achieves superb sound quality and ensures an unequalled listening experience. The AV preamplifier also offers advanced video processing technology, versatile network capability with a wide range of content access and app control, along with flexible system configuration that benefits from advanced HDMI Zone switching. In addition, the CX-A5200 features a high rigidity chassis, dual ESS ES9026 SABRE PRO DACs, and reliable balanced connectivity.
Aventage Series: Yamaha's Aventage line of AV gear is based on the audio design concept of providing a massive, full-bodied sound for movie sound effects and the accurate reproduction of music sources. By expertly harmonizing traditional and advanced technologies, every factor that affects sound quality, from materials & parts construction to circuitry layout, vibration damping, and "fine-tuning" the sound, is handled with no other thought than to achieve the best possible audio quality. As a result, every Aventage product has the ability to reproduce the most subtle details of high-definition sound, so that listeners can enjoy a truly high-class sound studio experience at home.
- Professional-Grade ESS SABRE ES9026 PRO DACs: The CX-A5200 features two of the latest ESS SABRE PRO Premier DAC (ES9026 PRO) delivering state-of-the-art 32-bit/384khz performance for all channels. Further, the DAC also minimizes noise levels and achieves an exceptional signal-to-noise ratio.
- Redesigned Power Transformer: In pursuit of dynamic expression, the CX-A5200 employs a large, redesigned power transformer to maximize the performance of the new ESS DACs. Deep and powerful sound is achieved with enhanced regulation of power while a thick brass plate dampens unwanted vibrations from the transformer on surrounding circuitry.
- Heavy-Duty Bottom Plate: Stabilizing the chassis is the key to enhanced performance and deep, sinking sound. The CX-A5200 achieves this by employing a thick bottom plate which acts to steady the entire structure and achieve optimal sound.
- Anti-Resonance Technology (A.R.T.): The Anti-Resonance Technology (A.R.T) Wedge is a fifth foot in the center of the unit. It dampens vibrations from the power transformer, power transistors and heat sinks, as well as vibrations that might be caused by the sound from the speakers.
Balanced Connectivity: Electrical noise may be generated due to connection with other AV components and even from the connection between the preamplifier and power amplifier, as well as from other sources of external noise. To ensure that the CX-A5200 and MX-A5200 are not affected by this distortion, they use balanced connections that are highly noise resistant; the same type generally used in pro audio equipment. Even the RCA unbalanced connection uses a ground sensing transmission method that achieves simple balanced transmission. And in cases such as that where each channel with the XLR is used selectively, the impact of noise flowing between the preamp and the chassis of the power amp is removed, minimizing sound quality deterioration due to the connection. The CX-A5200 also allows balanced audio input connection to high grade source components, such as SACD players.
- 11.2ch Unbalanced & Balanced Preouts: The CX-A5200 is equipped with 11.2ch balanced XLR preouts - including Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R, Front Presence L/R, Rear Presence L/R, and Dual Subs. The AV preamplifier also features 11.2ch unbalanced RCA preouts - including Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R, Front Presence L/R, Rear Presence L/R, and Dual Subs. These preouts can be used to connect the CX-A5200 AV preamplifier to Yamaha's MX-A5200 power amplifier or another manufacturer's power amplifier, plus up to two discrete powered subwoofers.
- Balanced & Unbalanced Inputs (including Phono): The AV preamplifier is fitted with a pair of balanced XLR inputs for connection of a high-end Super Audio CD player. The preamplifier is also equipped with eight unbalanced stereo line-level RCA analog inputs (7 rear/1 front). The Yamaha CX-A5200 AV preamplifier also features a dedicated Phono (MM) input for connecting your turntable and listening to your vinyl records.
- 7.1 Multichannel Input: This unit has a discrete 7.1-channel analog input (consisting of 8 unbalanced RCA jacks) for connecting DVD-Audio and Super-Audio CD players or an external decoder. (The front channels are connected to the "Audio 3" input jacks, while the other channels have dedicated inputs.)
Note: The balanced XLR an unbalanced RCA terminals are gold-plated for excellent signal transfer.
YPAO Sound Optimization: This unit employs the YPAO (Yamaha Parametric Acoustic Optimizer), which automatically adjusts the output of the speakers based on placement, performance, and the room's acoustic characteristics. Yamaha's YPAO system uses a small microphone and sophisticated equalization to automatically set the best sound for any room, no matter where the speakers are. First it checks the speaker connections and phase of each speaker. Then it sends out tones which are captured by the microphone to analyze the room acoustics and sets a variety of parameters; such as the speaker size, the distance of the speakers, and even the volume level; until it achieves the best sound conditions for your room.
- R.S.C. (Reflected Sound Control) 3D Multipoint: The preamplifier employs R.S.C. (Reflected Sound Control) to correct early reflections for studio-quality surround sound. It also uses 3D Angle Measurements to provide automatic sound parameter optimization that maximizes the 3D soundfield effectiveness. Up to 8 listening position measurements are taken to optimize the surround effect for a broad area (you can store up to two speaker patterns).
- Precision 64-Bit EQ: 64-bit precision EQ calculation achieves the most natural room acoustics possible. Choose between 3 YPAO EQ modes - Natural (adjusts all speakers to a natural sound; useful when the flat setting sounds too bright), Flat (use when all the speakers in the system have similar sound characteristics), or Front (EQs the center and rear speakers to sound like the front; useful when your front speakers are better than the others in the system)
- DSP Effect Normalization: In addition, the preamplifier's YPAO Sound Optimization provides DSP Effect Normalization, which varies the Cinema DSP parameters according to the reflected sounds in the room.
- YPAO Volume: Human ears have less sensitivity to high and low frequencies, especially at lower volumes. YPAO Volume applies loudness EQ correction to automatically adjust high and low frequency levels as volume changes. Using the YPAO measurement results, EQ correction is optimized to your system settings and listening environment.
Note: You can also choose to manually adjust the AV preamplifier's speaker, crossover, & EQ settings.
Compatible Digital Audio Formats: The AV preamplifier supports the following stereo & multichannel digital audio formats through its HDMI jacks and optical/coax digital inputs.
|Digital Audio Connector||Audio Signal Type||Audio Signal Format|
|HDMI (7 Inputs/3 Outputs)||High Definition Audio Bitstream|| Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby
DTS:X, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS Express
|Bitstream||Dolby Digital, DTS, DTS-ES, DTS 96/24|
|PCM||2ch to 8ch (32-192kHz, 16/20/24-bit)|
|DSD||2ch to 6ch (2.8MHz, 1-bit)|
|Optical/Coaxial (3 Optical Inputs/3 Coaxial Inputs)||Bitstream||Dolby Digital, DTS, DTS ES, DTS 96/24|
|PCM||2ch to 6ch, (32-96kHz, 16/20/24-bit)|
Immersive Surround Sound: The Yamaha CX-A5200 AV preamplifier goes beyond regular surround with the latest immersive surround sound formats, including Dolby Atmos & DTS:X.
- Dolby Atmos: The Yamaha AV preamplifier will enhance
properly designed systems with
Dolby Atmos where sound comes alive from all directions, including
overhead, to fill the home theater with astonishing clarity, power, detail
and depth. The CX-A5200 has the processing power to run a more enveloping
7ch or 9ch Dolby Atmos layout using 5.2.2, 5.2.4, 7.2.2 or 7.2.4
configurations utilizing ceiling mounted, or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers
- A 5.2.2 configuration is based on a traditional 5.2 speaker layout complemented by 2 overhead or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers.
- A 5.2.4 configuration is based on a traditional 5.2 speaker layout complemented by 4 overhead or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers.
- A 7.2.2 configuration is based on a more advanced 7.2 speaker layout complemented by 2 overhead or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers.
- A 7.2.4 configuration is based on a more advanced 7.2 speaker layout complemented by 4 overhead or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers.
- DTS:X: DTS:X is the next generation object-based, multi-dimensional audio technology from DTS. Unbound from channels, DTS:X conveys the fluid movement of sound to create an incredibly rich, realistic and immersive soundscape - in front of, behind, beside and above the audience - more accurately than ever before. DTS:X offers the ability to automatically adapt the audio to the speaker layout that best fits your space.
Post Decoding Formats: The Yamaha AV preamplifier supports Dolby Surround, Neural:X, and DTS Neo:6 (Music/Cinema) to enhance 2-channel and multichannel decoding formats.
- Dolby Surround: Dolby Surround offers an enhanced cinema experience to your 2ch and multichannel movie soundtracks using your existing 5.1ch, 7.1ch or Dolby Atmos speaker setup. Dolby Surround enhances audio definition by improving the spatial dimension and overall audio definition of movie soundtracks. It does this by using four distinct surround zones that provide greater control over the exact placement of each detail in a movie sound track, so audio can be matched more accurately to the video on screen; this means more depth and greater realism for your movies. As a result, individual sounds are clearer and more distinct. It also improves the surround sound experience across the entire theater by widening the listening "sweet spot".
- Neural:X: DTS:X incorporates Neural:X, the latest spatial remapping technology from DTS, which provides a fully immersive output for all types of source content; this includes DTS bitstreams and non-encoded (PCM) data. Neural:X delivers a thrilling sense of immersive sound to your speaker layout regardless of the original source format.
- DTS Neo:6: DTS Neo:6 is an advanced matrix decoder that takes any two-channel source (including television broadcasts, CDs and DVDs) and expands it into five or six channels. It also provides separate, optimized modes for stereo music materials and matrix surround motion picture soundtracks. DTS Neo:6 brings you a more revealing sound from ordinary stereo and a more expansive home cinema experience.
Surround:AI: Surround:AI is an artificial intelligence technology built into the preamplifier's DSP that analyzes the scene of your entertainment content and creates an optimal surround effect to reproduce it with the greatest effect. In real time, Surround:AI instantaneously analyzes scenes by focusing on distinct sound elements such as dialog, background music, ambient sounds and sound effects, and automatically optimizes the surround effect. The effect is a compelling sense of realism beyond conventional sound field effects, giving you the best of every scene in an entertainment experience.
Cinema DSP HD3: CINEMA DSP HD3 is Yamaha's flagship 3D soundfield playback technology that takes full advantage of the massive amount of acoustic reflection data included in the soundfield data. Cinema DSP HD3 uses four CINEMA DSP engines with advanced 3D processing to deliver more than twice as much capability for generating acoustic reflections as conventional CINEMA DSP 3D, in addition to high-frequency playback capability, delivering an utterly natural and powerful spatial soundfield. Yamaha's Cinema DSP HD3 lets you enjoy your movies and music even more in your home; regardless if you are using 5.1 speaker setup, only have a two-channel speaker system, or listening through headphones.
- Virtual Presence Speaker (VPS): With the power of Cinema DSP 3D technology and the Virtual Presence Speaker (VPS) mode, the preamplifier virtually reproduces the height of the 3D soundfield without actually having front presence speakers. The Virtual Presence Speaker function makes full use of center and surround speakers to create audible information from where presence (height) speakers are normally installed.
- Virtual Surround Back Speaker (VSBS): This preamplifier also features a Virtual Surround Back Speaker function. Even without using surround back speakers, you can experience more natural, lifelike sound from behind you without physical speakers being installed in the surround back area of the listening environment.
- Virtual Cinema DSP: Virtual Cinema DSP is an algorithm that allows you to enjoy DSP soundfield surround effects while using a minimal two-speaker system. Virtual Cinema DSP lets you enjoy the effects of Cinema DSP surround sound without using surround speakers (handy for use in custom installations where some rooms don't have surround speakers). It can be used with the front/center speakers or even with just the two front left and right speakers. This unit will switch to virtual Cinema DSP mode automatically when surround speakers are unavailable.
- Virtual Cinema Front: With Virtual Cinema Front, you will enjoy virtual 5-channel surround sound with higher quality and resolution by installing surround speakers at the front. You get more flexibility to arrange your speakers inside the room, along with easy enjoyment of high quality surround sound.
- Silent Cinema: Silent Cinema makes it possible to hear large-scale surround sound through ordinary headphones. This is a variation of Cinema DSP technology that Yamaha developed to let you listen in private to movies and other multi-channel sources for hours without listening fatigue.
Cinema DSP Soundfields: The preamplifier is equipped with a variety of sound programs that utilize Yamaha's original DSP technology (CINEMA DSP HD3 ). It allows you to easily create soundfields like actual movie theaters or concert halls in your room and enjoy natural stereoscopic sound fields. This Yamaha proprietary soundfield creation technology was created by combining measured soundfield data with digital signal processing. Yamaha collected soundfield data from famous concert halls and music clubs around the world, utilizing its wealth of experience in the fields of concert hall design, public address, and mixing. Conventional multichannel audio reproduction systems base their sound on Dolby Digital and DTS decoding, using matrix and steering technologies to create surround sound effects. Yamaha Cinema DSP is much more advanced, creating immersive independent soundfields that envelop you in an unmatched surround sound experience. With dialog, music and effects ideally located in these separate soundfields, you will hear sound with accurate placement, smooth movement, exceptional clarity and richness, and realistic presence. It will seem as if the walls of your room have disappeared and you are in the middle of your own immense theater. The AV preamplifier offers a wide variety Cinema DSP programs for movies, music, and games (you can also adjust the Cinema DSP effect levels).
- DSP Soundfields: Movie soundfields include Standard, Spectacle, Sci-Fi, Adventure, Drama, Mono Movie, and Enhanced (3D object audio). Music soundfields Hall Munich A or B, Hall in Frankfurt, Hall in Stuttgart, Hall in Vienna, Hall in Amsterdam, Hall in USA A or B, Church in Tokyo, Church in Freiburg, Church in Royaumont, Chamber, Village Gat, Village Vanguard, Warehouse Loft, Cellar club, The Roxy Theater, The Bottom Line, Are, and 7ch Stereo. Entertainment soundfields include Sports, Action Game, Role Playing Game, Music Video, Recital/Opera, Pavilion, and Disco.
- DSP Parameters: You can change the preamplifier's CINEMA DSP effect level (level of the soundfield effect to be added). You can adjust the level of the soundfield effect from -6 dB to +3 dB. You can also adjust the delay between the direct sound and the presence soundfield (1-99ms), surround soundfield (1-49ms), and surround back soundfield (1-49ms). In addition, you can adjust the broadening effect (0.1-2.0) of the presence soundfield, surround soundfield, and the surround back sound field. You can even adjust the loss (0-10) of the presence soundfield, surround back soundfield, and surround back soundfield. Finally, you can adjust the delay time of the rear reverberant sound (1.0-5.0s), the delay between the direct sound and rear reverberant sound (0-250ms), and the volume of the reverberant sound (0-100%).
Optional Wireless Surround (available Firmware Update): You can combine this AV preamplifier with Yamaha's MusicCast 50 or MusicCast 20 wireless streaming speakers, as well as the MusicCast Sub100 wireless powered subwoofer (all sold separately) and enjoy the convenience of creating a home theater with wireless rear speakers in a 5.1-channel system. What's more, you get stunningly realistic sound with a clean, clutter-free setup.
Note: Wireless Surround requires that the AV preamplifier and compatible MusicCast speakers/sub (sold separately) be on the same wireless network. You will need to download the MusicCast Controller app onto your Apple iOS 9.0+ or Android OS 4.1+ device for setup.
HiFi Sound Modes: The Yamaha CX-A5200 offers two HiFi audio modes which bypass the preamplifier's tone & DSP processing for higher sound quality performance. These HiFi sound modes let you play back input sources without any soundfield effect processing. When either of these modes are enabled, each speaker produces its own channel audio signal (without soundfield processing). When playing back 2-channel sources, such as a CD player, stereo sound is heard from the front speakers. When playing back multichannel sources, the preamplifier produces unprocessed multichannel surround sound.
- Straight: 2-channel stereo sources are output from only the front left and right speakers, while multi-channel sources are decoded straight into the appropriate channels without any additional tone or DSP processing.
- Pure Direct: Turns off the surround and tone circuitry, and dims the front-panel display, allowing sources to bypass the decoders and DSP processors of this unit so you can enjoy pure hi-fi sound from 2-channel or multi-channel sources. During Pure Direct playback no sound is output from the subwoofer.
ARC + eARC (via available Firmware Update): The ARC (Audio Return Channel) of the CX-A5200's HDMI main monitor output allows the audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to the CX-A5200 through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television. The Yamaha CX-A5200 will even support eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel) via an available firmware update. eARC will offer support for uncomprerssed audio formats like Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, & DTS HD Master Audio - where standard ARC was limited to Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, DTS HD, and PCM.
Compressed Music Enhancer: Yamaha employs sophisticated digital signal processing with exclusive algorithms to enable playback that improves the performance of compressed music formats, including MP3, WMA, AAC, & Bluetooth (SBC/AAC). The Yamaha preamplifier's Compressed Music Enhancer feature is even optimized for Bluetooth wireless audio streaming. With the Compressed Music Enhancer, highs and especially lows are richer and smoother, bringing music back to life to be as close to the original as possible.
Dialog Lift, Level, & Control: Dialog Lift raises the sound of dialogue from the center speaker to a position in the center of the screen. Newly developed virtual dialogue lift achieves dialogue lift function even without the need for presence speakers. Dialog Level Adjustment lets you control the volume of the vocal sound, so you hear movie dialog and music vocals at the ideal level for clear, comfortable listening. DTS Dialog Control allows you to boost the dialog to make dialog more intelligible in noisy environments.
Dynamic Range Control: The Yamaha CX-A5200 employs two Dynamic Range Control functions.
- Adaptive DRC: Adaptive DRC automatically adjusts the dynamic range of the sound according to the volume level. This ensures that you hear clear dialog, vocals, and all sound effects at comfortable levels. There is no need to adjust the volume level as you listen; everything from whispers to big explosions will be heard clearly and comfortably at the same volume setting. It also tones down loud TV commercials and is ideal for low-volume, late-night listening when you do not want to disturb others.
- Dynamic Range: The amount of dynamic range compression applied to bitstream signals is adjustable; Min/Auto is suitable for low volume listening, Standard is typical for home use, and Max doesn't compress the dynamic range at all.
Bass Management: The Yamaha CX-A5200 AV preamplifier provides the following Bass Management settings.
- Bass & Treble: Bass & Treble for the Main Zone, Zone 2, and Headphones can be set independently. You can adjust the bass (50Hz) and treble (20kHz) from -6dB to +6dB in 0.5 dB increments. You can also set the preamplifier to adjust the levels of the high-frequency range (Treble) and low-frequency range (Bass) in Zone 2 automatically in synchronization with the main volume, with correction for the auditory response of the human ear.
- Extra Bass: You can select whether to play front channel low-frequencies through either the front speaker or the subwoofer, or through both the subwoofer and front speakers. Use the Extra Bass feature to amplify bass tones, not just in your main room but also on systems in Zone 2. Even with compact or in-wall speakers which typically lack bass, you'll hear all your sources with powerful bass sound.
- Subwoofer Trim: The Subwoofer Trim control enhances the low frequencies by avoiding overlap with the front speaker output. This will result in a cleaner, more focused sound stage while providing a seamless frequency response. When subwoofer frequency overlap occurs in conventional systems, the overall sound is "pushed" toward the subwoofer. Subwoofer Trim takes care of this by separating the low subwoofer frequencies cleanly, thus stabilizing the front stage while providing a well-balanced enhanced bass sound.
Volume Setup: The Yamaha CX-A5200 allows you to customize the preamplifier's volume levels.
- Volume Scale: You can choose to display the "Relative" volume scale (-80 to +16dB) or an "Absolute" volume scale (0 to 97).
- Max Volume Adjustment: Use this feature to set the preamplifier's maximum volume level (the main Zone and Zone 2 can be set independently). This feature is useful to avoid turning the volume too loud by mistake. You can set the Max Volume from -30dB to +15dB in 5dB steps, or to +16.5dB (full volume range is -80dB to +16.5 dB).
- Initial Volume Setting: Use this feature to set the volume level when the preamplifier's power is turned on (the main Zone and Zone 2 can be set independently). You can choose between Off (same as the volume when the unit was turned off), Mute, and -80dB to + 16.5dB in increments of 0.5dB.
- Volume Trim: Use this feature to adjust the volume level of each input. This is useful to balance the level of each input to avoid sudden changes in volume when switching between input sources. The range is from -6dB to +6dB in 0.5dB increments.
Optical & Coaxial Digital Inputs: The Yamaha AV preamplifier is equipped with three optical (toslink) digital inputs and three coaxial (RCA) digital inputs that support Dolby Digital (5.1ch) & DTS (5.1ch), as well as 2ch to 6ch PCM (up to 32-96kHz, 16/20/24-bit).
Headphone Jack: The Yamaha CX-A5200 is equipped with a front-panel 1/4" headphone jack for connecting a set of headphone, so you can listen to your music privately. Connecting a set of headphones automatically mutes the preamplifier's speaker outputs. Sound effects applied during playback can also be heard through the headphones.
HDMI 2.0b: The Yamaha CX-A5200 AV preamplifier is fitted with seven HDMI 2.0b inputs and three HDMI 2.0b outputs that support the latest HDMI standards; such as 4K/60Hz, HDCP 2.2, 4:4:4 color subsampling, HDR (High Dynamic Range), Wide Color Gamut (BT.2020), and 21:9 aspect ratio for full support of today's 4K content from Ultra HD Blu-ray, online video services (like Amazon & Netflix), and future TV broadcast services.
- 4K/60Hz: The CX-A5200 supports up to 4K (3840x2160 pixels) video @ 60 frames per second on all of its HDMI inputs and output. It also supports a 480i, 480p, 720p, 2080i, or 2080p video signal.
- HDCP 2.2: All of the preamplifier's HDMI jacks support HDCP 2.2, which fully complies with the latest copyright protection standard for 4K video transmission.
- 4:4:4 Color Subsampling: The preamplifier also supports RGB, YCbCr 4:4:4, YCbCr 4:2:2, and YCbCr 4:2:0 color subsampling (@ 60Hz or 50Hz). With 4:4:4 color subsampling, luminance (brightness) and chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate; resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail.
- Wide Color Gamut (BT.2020): The BT.2020 color standard delivers a much wider color gamut and represents about 75% of the total visual color spectrum, while the current Rec. 709 color standard selected as the color space for HDTVs and early generation 4K Ultra HDTVs covers only 35% of the total visual color spectrum.
- 21:9 Aspect Ratio: By supporting 21:9 aspect ratio, this preamplifier can show films recorded in the Cinema Scope format on your TV for a much more immersive video experience. When these types of films are viewed in the usual 16:9 ratio, you see black bars at the top and bottom of the screen; 21:9 eliminates these bars.
Note: Use a premium high-speed 18Gbps HDMI cable for the best 4K/HDR performance.
HDR (High Dynamic Range): The Yamaha CX-A5200 supports HDR (high dynamic range) Video - including HDR 10, Dolby Vision, and Hybrid Log-Gamma. HDR (High Dynamic Range Video) provides enhanced picture quality by simultaneously enabling greater detail for both the dark and bright parts of an image. HDR reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, creating greater contrast. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth.
- HDR 10: HDR 10 is an open standard and currently the most popular HDR format on the market. It uses static metadata at the start of a movie to tell the preamplifier and your TV that the video content is encoded using HDR.
- Hybrid-Log Gamma: HLG (Hybrid-Log Gamma) is primarily designed for live video feed and over-the-air broadcasts. It uses no pre-encoded metadata and is backwards compatible with SDR. HLG's native compatibility allows much of today's existing SDR infrastructure to be re-used for HDR in the future.
- Dolby Vision: Unlike HDR 10 which contains static metadata and HLG which uses no metadata, Dolby Vision uses dynamic metadata technology which sets individual color and brightness levels for each and every scene. Dolby works directly with filmmakers at major Hollywood studios to create superior HDR video masters of blockbuster movies.
4K Video Upconversion & Upscaling: The Yamaha CX-A5200 is capable of outstanding video upconversion and upscaling. This AV preamplifier will upscale video signals from analog (480i only)-to-HDMI and HDMI-to-HDMI, up to 4K. This means a much better picture with HDTVs capable of 720p, 2080i, 2080p, or 4K resolution. Only the preamplifier's main HDMI output is capable of video upconversion & upscaling; the sub HDMI output does not support video upconversion or upscaling.
Three HDMI Outputs: With three HDMI output terminals, you can watch the same analog or HDMI video source on three separate displays; or watch the same analog or HDMI video source on two displays, while watching a different HDMI video source on a third display in Zone 2 or Zone 4 (both not both). HDMI Zone 2 and Zone 4 only support upscaling of 2080p to 4K (all other video resolutions are pass-through).
Other HDMI Features: The Yamaha CX-A5200 AV preamplifier's HDMI connectivity also offers 3D video pass-through, Deep Color & x.v.Color support, as well as an auto LipSync function.
- 3D Ready: The Yamaha CX-A5200 AV preamplifier supports 3D video pass-through (720p/2080p only) from connected 3D-compatible Blu-ray, games and broadcast devices to 3D-compatible HDTVs (all 3D components must be connected via HDMI). Special eyewear will be required for viewing 3D content.
- Deep Color & x.v.Color Support: The AV preamplifier supports Deep Color and x.v.Color content, which can display a larger color range than standard-definition schemes. The result is a more lifelike, vibrant picture
- LipSync: This function adjusts the delay between audio and video output. You can do this manually or have the preamplifier set the LipSync function automatically. When connected to a TV via HDMI the preamplifier automatically adjusts audio output timing (0-500ms) if the TV supports an automatic LipSync function. You can also manually delay the sound output up to 500ms to synchronize it with the video image.
- Standby Through Mode: When the CX-A5200 is in standby mode (power off), the Standby Through feature allows HDMI source signals to pass through the preamplifier to the TV. The HDMI input can be changed using the remote control. So, there's no need to turn on the AV preamplifier in order to switch HDMI sources.
Optimized Video Processing: Yamaha's high-end video projector engineering expertise has produced various advanced processing techniques that are applied to this AV preamplifier. These include edge adaptive deinterlacing to smooth out jaggy noise, motion adaptive deinterlacing to detect moving or still images for precise pixel-by-pixel processing, and multi-cadence detection including 3-2 pull-down. Proper processing makes viewing enjoyment complete no matter what video source or content. You can also adjust Detail Enhancement, Edge Enhancement, Brightness, Contrast, & Saturation.
Analog Video Inputs: The CX-A5200 AV preamplifer is outfitted with four composite video and two component video input. The component video inputs will support up to 1080i video, while the composite video inputs only support 480i. These analog video inputs are upscaled (up to 4k) and upconverted to HDMI out to your TV (the preamplifier has no analog video outputs).
Background Audio/Video: The Background Video feature allows you to watch a video source while listening to a different audio source. With the CX-A5200, you can select any video input (HDMI or analog) and listen to audio from any of the preamplifier's audio sources (including AM/FM tuner, Aux, Phono, USB, Network, or Bluetooth).
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Yamaha CX-A5200 offers a wired (Ethernet) or wireless (WiFi) network connection to your home's network router. Either network connection gives the preamplifier access to DLNA music servers, AirPlay, MusicCast, and various online music services. The preamplifier also supports WiFi Direct for wireless connectivity between WiFi enabled devices without a router.
- Ethernet Jack: The Yamaha AV preamplifier is fitted with a RJ-45 Ethernet (LAN) port to connect the preamplifier to your home network. The Ethernet port provides the most reliable connection.
- Built-in WiFi: The AV preamplifiers offers built-in dual-band (2.4 + 5GHz) WiFi (IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac) for a wireless network connection; WPS, WEP, WPA-PSK (TKIP), WPA-PSK (AES), WPA2-PSK (AES) security protection is supported. Wireless network setup can be done via WPS button, Access Point Scan, Manual Setting, PIN Code, or even through your Apple iOS device (7.0+).
- WiFi Direct: When using WiFi Direct, you can connect directly with other WiFi-enabled devices without using a wireless router. You'll be able to wirelessly stream a variety of music files to the Yamaha preamplifier without connecting to your home network. WiFi Direct completely bypasses your WiFi access point/router, so it's easy to set up. You'll continue to navigate your music and view song/artist information from your mobile device.
Note: Network setup requires that the preamplifier be connected to your TV via HDMI for display of the on-screen menu. The preamplifier's network setup cannot be accessed through its front-panel display.
Online Music Services: The Yamaha CX-A5200 offers access to Internet Radio through built-in Airable by TuneIn; your Spotify account through Spotify Connect on your Apple iOS or Android device; and your Pandora, TIDAL, Amazon, SiriusXM, Qobuz, Napster, or Deezer music account through Yamaha's MusicCast Controller app.
- Airable by TuneIn: You can listen to Internet radio stations using Airable by TuneIn. Search worldwide internet radio content by Genre, Language, Location, Quality, Popularity, or do a keyword search.
- Spotify Connect:Anyone with a Spotify account (whether free or premium) can enjoy the wireless freedom of streaming the Spotify app (for Apple iOS or Android) to to the MusicCast-enabled speaker. All files on Spotify can stream up to 320kbps, which is MP3 quality.
- Pandora: Pandora is accessible through the Yamaha MusicCast Controller app for Apple iOS & Android. Pandora is personalized radio that plays music and comedy you'll love. Just start with the name of one of your favorite artists, songs, comedians or composers and Pandora will create a custom station that plays similar tracks. You can also rate (thumbs up/thumbs down) songs as they play, and Pandora will adapt stations to your feedback. You can even bookmark stations and easily switch between favorites.
- Amazon: Through an available firmware update, Amazon Music can now be accessed through Yamaha MusicCast. Enjoy Amazon Prime or Amazon Unlimited. Amazon Prime gives you access to 2 million songs with an Amazon Prime prime membership, while Amazon Unlimited gives you access to 50 million songs with with a $9.99 per month subscription.
- TIDAL: Tidal is accessible through the Yamaha MusicCast Controller app for Apple iOS & Android. TIDAL is a global streaming service that offers over 30 million songs in high-fidelity CD sound quality. TIDAL has two pricing tiers; either $9.99 or $19.99 a month. Both pricing levels allow you to access TIDAL's entire music library. The $19.99 tier has the added benefit of high-fidelity sound at CD-level quality.
- SiriusXM: SiriusXM Internet Radio is accessible through the Yamaha MusicCast Controller app and lets you listen to over 120 channels of commercial-free music, talk radio, news, sports, entertainment, and more. Subscription fees will apply.
- Qobuz: Qobuz offers the biggest catalog of Hi-Fi and Hi-Res albums in the world, both for new releases and specialized genres. For hundreds of thousands of albums, Qobuz includes all the information you need to recreate the appeal of a real CD - the names of musicians, producers, lyrics (everything you need to know to appreciate your favorite albums). Qobuz offers MP3, CD, and Hi-Res quality subscriptions.
- Napster: Napster is also accessible through the Yamaha MusicCast Controller app. This streaming music subscription service (starting a $10 per month) allows you to play the full-length songs you choose on demand from a collection of over 10 million songs, without ads and without having to purchase or download the music.
- Deezer: Deezer is an online music service offering over 43 million tracks starting at $9.99 a month and is accessible through the Yamaha MusicCast Controller app. Discover the perfect playlist or make your own, as well as browse curated collections by genre.
DLNA Certified: The CX-A5200 is DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5 and Windows 7/8/10 compliant for audio networking. This means it's easier for you to access and enjoy digital music stored on your PC over your home network. You can use your PC to play high-bit rate music content through your audio system, or use the CX-A5200 to browse and play music files on your hard drive. You can control playback of your streamed audio files from the AV preamplifier's remote control. The preamplifier also supports ID3-Tag and META tag information so song title, artist name, and album name can be displayed from the unit's on-screen menu (via HDMI).
- The AV preamplifier supports the following DLNA music servers - (1) PC with Windows Media Player 11 or later installed, (2) PC with DLNA/UPnP Certificate server software installed, (3) NAS with DLNA/UPnP certification.
- Supported music files include - WAV/FLAC/AIFF (up to 192kHz/24-bit), ALAC (up to 96kHz/24-bit), MP3/WMA/AAC (up to 48kHz/320kbps), and DSD (2.8/5.6MHz).
AM/FM Tuner: The Yamaha Aventage AV preamplifier features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, and preset tuning. The CX-A5200 lets you store up to 40 AM/FM station presets. This can be done manually or automatically (auto-preset tuning). You can set this preamp to automatically match FM broadcast frequencies in stereo, or convert the frequency to monaural for weaker stations. An indoor FM wire antenna and AM loop antenna are included with the preamplifier.
Web Control: When connected to your network (with Internet connection), you can control the Yamaha AV preamplifier with the web control screen displayed in your PC's web browser. You'll be able to control functions such as, Power On/Off & Volume. Internet Explorer 7.x, 8.x, 9.x is recommended for web browser.
Firmware Updates: New firmware will be released for the purpose of additional features or product improvements. Firmware updates can be downloaded from the Yamaha website. If this unit is connected to the Internet, the preamplifier will indicate when a new firmware version is available and you can download the firmware via the network connection. Firmware updates normally take approximately 20 minutes or longer. Check Yamaha's Support Download Site for the most recent firmware updates.
AirPlay 2 (via available firmware update): Through an available firmware update, the Yamaha CX-A5200 will support AirPlay 2. AirPlay 2 is an advanced and easy-to-use wireless multiroom audio platform for iTunes, Apple Music, and other compatible Apple iOS apps. With AirPlay 2 you can play any sound from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 11.4 or later) or Mac computer (running OS X 10.13.2) on the CX-A5200 and other compatible AirPlay 2 speakers throughout your home. You will also be able to ask Siri-enabled devices (like your Apple iPhone, iPad, or Watch) to control playback of your Apple Music on the Yamaha CX-A5200. With AirPlay 2, also get to see song/artist information and album art via the unit's on-screen menu (via HDMI). You can choose to play audio in one room, play the same audio in grouped rooms, or play the same audio in every room (you can control and group directly from Apple's Music App and Home app on your Apple iOS device). You can even watch videos and movies from YouTube and Netflix on your compatible Apple iOS device or Mac computer with perfectly synced audio on the Yamaha CX-A5200.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The Yamaha preamplifier incorporates Bluetooth 4.2 (A2DP/AVRCP), so you can wirelessly stream stored music & music apps from a Bluetooth-enabled device; like your Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, Windows Phone/PC, or Mac computer/laptop to the AV preamplifier. In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the preamplifier offers support of AAC. By supporting AAC, the preamplifier offers better audio performance of music streamed from your Apple iPod/Phone/iPad. Song/artist information will be displayed on your HDMI connected TV's screen and the front-panel of the preamplifier. You'll you be able to control basic playback functions, like Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track from the preamplifier's remote; advance music browsing still has to be done from your Bluetooth source device. You can even set the preamplifier to turn on when you start streaming Bluetooth audio.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Yamaha AV preamplifier.
USB Port: This AV preamplifier is equipped with a front-panel USB (type-A) port that allows you to enjoy a variety of music files stored on a USB mass storage class memory device, such as a USB thumbdrive or portable digital audio player (not compatible with USB HDDs). Your USB mass storage class device must be formatted in FAT 16 or FAT32. You can use the preamplifier's on-screen menu (via HDMI) and remote control to navigate your stored music files on your connected USB memory device. USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the AV preamplifier's USB port (5V/1A); even in standby mode. Compatible music files include:
- DSD (2.8/5.6/11.2 MHz)
- AIFF/FLAC/WAV (up to 192kHz/24-bit)
- ALAC (up to 96kHz/24-bit)
- MP3/WMA/AAC (up to 48kHz/320kpbs)
Note: The preamplifier's USB port does not support Apple iOS and Android OS devices.
Line-Level Zone 2 & 3 (Audio/Video): The Yamaha AV preamplifier's Zone 2/Zone 3 outputs allow you to play the same or different audio/video sources in other rooms of your home. The AV preamplifier has dedicated stereo preamp outputs (requires separate amps) for both Zone 2 & 3. The analog video monitor outputs (component or composite) can also be assigned to Zone 2 or Zone 3 (but not both). The volume of Zone 2 or Zone 3 can be controlled by the Yamaha preamplifier or from your add-on integrated amplifier. You can select the following input sources for Zone 2 or 3.
- Compatible Sources:
- Analog audio
- HDMI 2Ch PCM Audio (Zone 2 only; not available in Zone 3)
- Optical/Coaxial Digital Audio Inputs (2ch PCM only)
- USB, AirPlay, & Bluetooth
- AM/FM Tuner, Internet Radio, & MusicCast music apps
- DLNA & Network Content
- Incompatible Sources:
- Analog Video
- HDMI is not supported in Zone 3.
- You cannot select different AM/FM radio stations for each zone
Note: You cannot select Bluetooth, USB and Network (MusicCast/Internet Radio/DLNA/AirPlay) sources exclusively for each zone. For example, if you select "NET" for Zone 2 when "USB" is selected for the main zone, the input source for the main zone also switches to "NET".
HDMI Zone 2 & 4 (Audio/Video): The preamplifier's third HDMI output terminal can be assigned to output audio/video content to Zone 2 or Zone 4 (but not both). Yamaha's advanced HDMI zone switching adds the capability to choose from all analog or digital audio/video sources for playback in Zone 2. However, Zone 4 only offers playback of the same or different HDMI connected audio/video sources. The Zone 2/4 HDMI output can be connected directly to a TV for basic video and 2ch audio playback. Zone 4 can also be connected to a secondary home theater preamplifier for multi-channel playback in another zone (Zone 2 is limited to 2ch stereo). An on-screen graphical user interface makes it easy to browse and select content to enjoy from Zone 2 (not Zone 4), no matter what is being played in the main zone. You can select the following input sources for Zone 2 or 4.
- Compatible Sources:
- HDMI Audio/Video (Zone 2 and 4)
- HDMI Zone 4 will output multichannel audio signals for the HDMI input source selected and down-mix to 2ch when the same HDMI input source is selected in the main zone (the main zone will also be restricted to 2ch PCM when they share the same input).
- HDMI Zone 2 only supports 2ch PCM.
- HDMI Zone 2 and 4 only support upscaling of 1080p to 4K (all other video resolutions are pass-through).
- Analog Audio/Video Inputs (Zone 2 and pass-through only; no upscaling)
- Optical/Coaxial Digital Audio Inputs (Zone 2 and 2ch PCM only)
- USB, AirPlay, & Bluetooth (Zone 2 only)
- AM/FM Tuner, Internet Radio, & MusicCast Apps (Zone 2 only)
- DLNA & Network Content (Zone 2 only)
- HDMI Audio/Video (Zone 2 and 4)
- Incompatible Sources:
- Analog Audio/Video Inputs not available in Zone 4
- Optical/Coaxial Digital Audio Inputs not available in Zone 4
- USB, AirPlay, & Bluetooth not available in Zone 4
- AM/FM Tuner, Internet Radio, & MusicCast Apps not available in Zone 4
- DLNA & Network Content not available in Zone 4
Note: You cannot select Bluetooth, USB and Network (MusicCast/Internet Radio/DLNA/AirPlay) sources exclusively for each zone. For example, if you select "NET" for Zone 2 when "USB" is selected for the main zone, the input source for the main zone also switches to "NET".
Party Mode (Main Zone Sync): The Party Mode (or Main Zone Sync) allows you to enjoy the AV preamplifier's Main Zone audio source in Zone 2 & Zone 3, simultaneously (regardless of input audio signal types - analog, digital, or wireless). During the party mode, stereo playback is automatically selected for all zones. The Main Zone, Zone 2, & Zone 3 volume can all be adjusted independently. Utilize this function when you want to play back an audio source as background music in two rooms of your home. Zone 4 is only available when an HDMI input source is selected in the main zone.
MusicCast Wireless Multiroom Audio Streaming: This AV preamplifier supports Yamaha's MusicCast multiroom audio eco-system, which allows you to wirelessly play back a wide variety of audio sources and content in multiple rooms of your home (additional MusicCast products sold separately). MusicCast works with your home's existing WiFi router and Yamaha's free MusicCast Controller app for Apple iOS 9.0+ and Android OS 4.1+. You'll be able to stream the preamplifier's tuner, inputs, Bluetooth, and network sources to other MusicCast products installed in your home. In addition, you'll be able to stream your MusicCast products' sources to the AV preamplifier. MusicCast supports the following source content.
- Analog & Digital Sources: The preamplifier's HDMI, optical/coaxial digital, and analog input sources can be played back over the MusicCast eco-system. Multi-channel content (5.1ch/7.1ch) is down-mixed to 2-channel sound for playback in other rooms without affecting the master room.
- Hi-Res Audio (via USB or DLNA): MusicCast supports Hi-Res audio via USB or DLNA. The MusicCast system is compatible with Apple Lossless (ALAC) up to 96kHz/24-bit, as well as FLAC and WAV music files up to 192kHz/24-bit. It also supports lower resolution music files like MP3, WMA, and AAC up to 48kHz. When multiple MusicCast devices are "linked" for multiroom audio playback, the Master room device's playback is at the native sampling rate (up to 192kHz/24-bit), while the other rooms and MusicCast devices down-converted to 48kHz.
- Online Music Services & Tuner: MusicCast offers support for Pandora, Spotify Connect, Tidal, Deezer, SiriusXM, Napster & Airable. In addition the preamplifier's AM/FM tuner can be distributed across multiple MusicCast speakers.
- Bluetooth: The preamplifier's Bluetooth source (SBC codec only) can be streamed to multiple MusicCast devices, so Bluetooth audio can be played in multiple rooms simultaneously.
- Up to 10 MusicCast devices can be connected to your home's wireless network (802.11 b/g/n/ac; 2.4 or 5GHz).
- If you want to install a MusicCast device to a location that is out of range of your wireless router, connect another MusicCast device to the router with a network cable to extend the range ("Extend Mode").
MusicCast Controller App: The free MusicCast Controller app (for Apple iOS 9.0+ and Android OS 4.1+) puts control of your whole home listening experience in the palm of your hand from your compatible Apple iOS or Android device. You'll be able to quickly select the room or rooms you want to listen to music in, select the source or sources you want to listen to, browse music content from your music library and online music services or Internet Radio, plus control music playback functions.
- Rooms: Choose which room or rooms you want to listen to music in. You can select a different source for each room, group certain rooms together for playback of the same source, or link all rooms together so the same source is played back throughout the house.
- Source Selection: From the app you can select which source or sources you want to listen to; choose from network-connected devices, select online music services, Internet Radio, Bluetooth; as well as analog & digital inputs - including HDMI & USB.
- Music Browsing: You can browse music libraries from your network-connected devices; like your smartphone, tablet, computer, or laptop. You can also browse music content from select online music services and search Internet Radio stations from the MusicCast Controller app. You can also browse music files on your USB-connected thumbdrive.
- Playback & Song/Artist Info: From the MusicCast Controller app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device you get Volume Up/Down, Play/Pause, and Previous/Next Track; as well as song/artist information and album art.
- Favorites: Internet radio stations, content from select online music services, plus playlists and songs from your network-connected device's music library can be saved as "Favorites" for quick recall within the MusicCast Controller app.
- Personalization & Customization: With the app's unique personalization features, you can choose from preloaded room images or change the color of buttons to represent each room in the home, or even take pictures of their own home and assign the images to each button. The content source buttons can also be customized to rename, remove or reorder selections for easier operation.
Alexa & Google Voice Control: Alexa and Google Home enabled devices (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) are able to control key functions of Yamaha's MusicCast system using voice commands. With Alexa & Google Home voice control integration, all you have to do is ask. The CX-A5200 offers full compatibility with Amazon's and Google's range of voice control devices. Yamaha offers two Skill platforms that work hand-in-hand to give you a wide range of voice command possibilities, allowing you to control either a single MusicCast product or a whole MusicCast system. The Yamaha CX-A5200, other MusicCast components, and Alexa/Google-enabled devices must be on the same WiFi network.
- MusicCast Smart Home Skill: The MusicCast Smart Home skill supports the most common, everyday voice commands you would use to control a single MusicCast component. These basic commands include power on/off, volume control, play/pause/skip/previous, mute/unmute and input selection. This skill supports simple, Alexa and Google standardized commands such as "Alexa" or "Ok Google", "turn up volume in the Kitchen." Through an available firmware update, you'll also be able to ask Alexa (not Google) to play specific songs/artists/albums on Amazon Music, Spotify, Pandora, iHeart, TuneIn, and Deezer.
- MusicCast Skill: The MusicCast skill goes beyond the basics, giving you enhanced control of unique MusicCast functions such as room linking, multiple room control, playback of MusicCast Favorites/Playlists and more. The commands are customized for MusicCast, for example "Alexa" or "Ok Google", "ask MusicCast to link the Kitchen with the Living Room."
- Echo Source Input: In addition or alternatively, an Echo device can be used as a music/audio source for a MusicCast system. All MusicCast devices offer a Bluetooth input. Just pair your Echo device with any MusicCast component and the sound will play from the MusicCast device. Many MusicCast products also offer inputs which can be connected to Echo Dot via its line output, if a wired connection is preferred over Bluetooth. Using the MusicCast Controller app, you can select the Bluetooth or wired input and link multiple MusicCast devices for playback, allowing you to hear sound from Echo Dot throughout your home.
AV Controller App: Download Yamaha's free AV Controller App (for Apple iOS 9.0+ and Android OS 4.1+) onto your compatible smartphone or tablet and turn your mobile device into a WiFi enabled remote control for the Yamaha AV preamplifier. Your Apple iOS or Android device must be connected to the same home network as the Yamaha AV preamplifier.
- Basic Remote Functions: The AV Controller App provides the flexibility to control input, volume, mute and power commands from your compatible Apple iOS or Android device.
- DSP Controller: You can use the AV Controller App to adjust DSP soundfields & parameters to your preference to match the type of music/movie or the mood you want to achieve. There are two modes - (1) Basic, which lets you adjust the sound space by simply pinching the screen in-and-out; and (2) Advanced, which allows detailed adjustment of various parameters such as reverb, initial delay, and liveness.
- Internal Content Browsing: Using this app on your Apple iOS or Android device, you can browse and listen to content from all internally available sources; such as Internet Radio, Pandora, Spotify, USB devices, and the AM/FM tuner.
- Wireless Music Streaming: From the app, you can browse music stored on your Apple iOS or Android device and wirelessly transfer the content to the Yamaha A/V preamplifier for playback.
- Blu-Ray Player: This App not only controls the Yamaha AV preamplifier, it also controls Yamaha Blu-ray Disc Players, supporting various functions including Play/Pause, Stop, Fast Forward/Rewind, and Previous/Next Track.
AV Setup Guide App: Download Yamaha's AV Setup Guide App (for Apple iOS 6.0+ and Android OS 4.0.3+) onto your compatible Apple iOS or Android device for assistance with connecting cables between the Yamaha AV preamplifier and your source devices as well as AV preamplifier setup. This app guides you through various settings including speaker connections, TV and source device connections, plus assigning the power amplifier. Once you have completed the setup guide, settings from this app will automatically be copied to your network-connected AV preamplifier for quick and easy setup.
Remote Control + HDMI-CEC: The receiver comes with an IR remote control for wireless operation of this receiver and other HDMI-connected sources (via HDMI CEC). This newly designed remote control features large buttons for enhanced ease of use. The Yamaha AV preamplifier supports the HDMI control function, which allows you to operate external components via HDMI. If your TV or other external components support HDMI control, you can use the remote controls of those devices to operate some of this unit's functions, and to synchronize this unit with the operation of those devices. You can use the following operations with the remote control of any of the connected HDMI Control compatible devices.
- Power synchronization (On/Standby)
- Volume control, including Mute
- Changing the volume of the audio output signal device (either the TV or the preamplifier)
Remote Connections: The Yamaha CX-A5200 offers a variety of remote connections for custom integration.
- 12V Trigger Outputs: The CX-A5200 has two programmable minijack outputs (3.5mm) to send a 12-Volt DC turn-on signal to another component that accepts a 12V trigger, such as a power amplifier or motorized projection screen. The triggers are programmed either to work with a specific zone (main room or Zone2) or a specific source.
- Remote Jacks: The AV preamplifier has remote input and remote output minijack terminals (3.5mm) for use with external IR receivers and compatible Yamaha components.
- RS-232C Port: The Yamaha AV preamplifier's RS-232C port provides seamless integration with a wide range of third-party home automation control systems.
Advanced On-Screen Menu: The CX-A5200 offers an advanced on-screen menu system via its HDMI output. This clean and simple interface makes setup and other operations extremely easy. Yamaha's latest graphical user interface (GUI) has a high resolution display with clear, easy-to-use menus and also includes a selectable status bar that shows input source, volume level, DSP mode and audio format. The GUI can be displayed over both normal and 3D pictures. You can set the preamplifier's on-screen menu language to English, French, Spanish, Japanese, German, Russian, or Chinese. If your TV is connected to the composite video or component video monitor output, you will need to use the AV preamplifier's front-panel display when changing settings.
Scene (for One-Touch Start): The Yamaha CX-A5200 features four Scene buttons on the front-panel and eight Scene buttons on the remote to make operating the preamplifier easier. Pressing a Scene button will automatically launch a number of operations that initiate play of the source controlled by that button; such as powering on the preamplifier, switching to the appropriate source input, and recalling the selected DSP surround mode.
Gapless Playback: Many live and classical albums have no gaps in the music. Gapless playback ensures that there are no pauses between audio files. This provides playback with no interruptions, the way it was meant to be heard. Compatible with WAV, FLAC, AIFF, and ALAC music files via USB or DLNA.
Favorites (Shortcuts): You can register up to 40 favorite USB music files, internet radio stations, and/or other network music content as shortcuts ("Favorites") and access them directly. Only the input source will be registered for Bluetooth and AirPlay.
Input Rename & Skip: You can rename each input so the display reflects the actual source; choose from 15 templates or create an original name, up to nine characters. If an input isn't being used, you can hide it from the display so you don't have to scroll past it when you change sources.
Display Dimmer: You can set the brightness of the front-panel display from -4 to 0.
ECO Mode: When the ECO Mode is enabled, you can reduce the preamplifier' power consumption by keeping the maximum volume, maximum output power, and front display's brightness low. ECO mode reduces power consumption by approximately 20%.
Timers: The preamplifier offers a programmable Sleep Timer and Auto Power Down function.
- Sleep Timer: The preamplifier's Sleep Timer function can be set turn the unit automatically off after 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
- Auto Power Down: If you don't operate the preamplifier or use the remote for an extended period of time, the unit will automatically go into standby mode (Auto Power Down function). The Auto Power Down feature is selectable from 2, 4, 8 or 12 hours.
Memory Guard: This feature is used to prevent accidental changes to the DSP program parameter values and other system settings.
The Yamaha AVENTAGE CX-A5200 replaces these items
- 11.2-channel RCA and balanced XLR audio outputs
- Dolby Atmos® processing for use with in-ceiling or "height" speakers for more enveloping home theater sound
- built-in Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® let you play music wirelessly from smartphones, tablets, and computers
11 questions already asked