About the Yamaha R-N301
A stereo receiver for the streaming music age
A stereo receiver for the streaming music age
What's better than streaming your favorite music on demand, anytime you want? Having it sound awesome, of course. With Yamaha's versatile R-N301 network stereo receiver, convenient streaming and great sound quality are both part of the package. If you're one of the millions of Spotify Premium subscribers, then you'll have access to all your favorite albums and playlists, directly through the receiver. And say you're listening to a tune on your Spotify mobile app when you're out running errands. When you come home, whatever song you've got playing will automatically begin streaming on your home stereo. (That's just cool.) Plus, the R-N301 connects to your home network to put other digital music options at your fingertips — play your own collection of digital music files, your Pandora® stations, or free Internet radio stations available on vTuner.
(One important heads-up: you will need to make a wired connection between your router and the Ethernet port on the back of the receiver.)
Stream your iTunes® library wirelessly with AirPlay
Yamaha's free Network Player Controller app lets you use your phone or tablet as a powerful and intuitive Wi-Fi remote.
If you use any Apple portable devices or iTunes on your computer, then you'll love the R-N301's built-in support for Apple AirPlay. It lets you stream music directly from an iPhone®, iPad®, or iPod touch®. Plus, if you have a large iTunes library on a networked computer, all those songs can be sent to the receiver as well. If you're not an Apple user, this receiver's DLNA-compatibility opens up wireless streaming to compatible PCs, music servers, and Android™ devices. (For AirPlay, you'll need to have Wi-Fi®, in addition to the wired connection we mentioned above.)
Free control app for Apple and Android
A network connection also offers you the opportunity for smartphone control using Yamaha's free Network Player Controller app. Download it to your Apple or Android device to use it as Wi-Fi remote. It lets you select streaming music options and even view album artwork with select sources.
Other sources, too
We know that not all music is of the streaming variety. So does Yamaha. This receiver has a generous bank of digital and analog inputs for sources like a CD or Blu-ray player, or even a cassette deck for audio dubbing.
Last, but certainly not least, we'd like to mention that the R-N301 can handle high-resolution FLAC and WAV files up to 24-bit/192kHz. If you've ever downloaded these kinds of high-res files from sites like HDtracks, then this receiver's high-quality built-in digital-to-analog conversion will serve them up in all of their audiophile glory. And if you haven't tried high-res music yet, this Yamaha is a great way to keep that option open for a modest price.
- 100 watts x 2 into 8 ohms (40-20,000 Hz) at 0.2% THD
- supports Spotify Connect, Pandora, and vTuner Internet radio
- connects to your home network via back-panel Ethernet port
- Apple AirPlay for streaming music from an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch or computer running iTunes
- DLNA 1.5 certified for streaming music with compatible computers, music servers, and portable devices
- plays high-resolution digital music files from networked computers and storage devices (up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution)
- free Yamaha Network Player Controller app lets you use your Apple or Android device as a Wi-Fi remote
- front-panel rotary volume knob and push-button bass and treble controls
- 40 AM/FM presets
- remote control
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Connections and Dimensions:
- digital audio inputs: 1 optical, 1 coaxial
- 4 stereo RCA inputs
- RCA recording output for audio dubbing
- Ethernet port
- 2 pairs of speaker connectors for front A and B speakers
- full-size (1/4") headphone jack
- 17-3/16"W x 5-1/2"H x 13-3/16"D
- weight: 15.3 lbs.
- MFR # R-N301BL
What's in the box:
- Network stereo receiver
- Remote control (RAX31)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna
- Owner's Manual
- Warranty Information
- Online Product Registration Information
- "Yamaha Worldwide Representative Offices" note
Yamaha R-N301 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Yamaha R-N301
Features & specs
|Stereo RMS Power (watts)||100|
|THD in Stereo||0.2 %|
|Frequency Bandwidth (stereo)||40-20k Hz|
|Minimum Impedance||8 ohms|
|FM Sensitivity||Not Given|
|Signal To Noise Ratio||100dB|
|Phono Signal to Noise Ratio||Not Given|
|Total Number of Zones||1|
|Inputs & Outputs|
|Ethernet Wired Network Port||---|
|Total Audio Inputs||4|
|Digital Audio Inputs||1 Coax/1 Optical|
|Speaker Output Pairs||2|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
"Natural Sound" Concept: Yamaha, with a long history of over 125 years as a musical instrument maker, also has a high reputation for HiFi components. Yamaha's R-N301 network stereo receiver takes advantage of this rich experience and high technological expertise. Based on the concept of "Natural Sound", for reproducing all music as it really sounds, and built with scrupulous care from circuit design to basic sound production, the R-N301 reproduces high sound quality and musically rich sound.
Stereo Amplifier: The Yamaha R-N301 features a stereo amplifier rated at 100 watts x 2-channels, measured from 40-20 kHz into 8Ω with 0.2% THD.
High Quality Circuit Design: The R-N301 network receiver's design minimizes the length of signal routes and optimizes the circuit layout. Positioning the power transformer near the power amp circuit reduces power loss while improving the supply of peak power enabling a high output of volume. The signal ground and power supply ground are connected at one point, eliminating mutual interference to achieve a higher S/N ratio. The result is sound filled with clarity and a feeling of openness.
Tone Control: You can adjust the balance of the high-frequency range (Treble) and low-frequency range (Bass) of sounds output from the receiver' front left and right speakers to obtain a desired tone. You can independently adjust the bass (20Hz) and treble (20kHz) from -10 to +10. You can also balance your connected speakers left to right.
Volume Setup: The Yamaha R-N301 allows you to customize the receiver's volume levels.
- Max Volume Adjustment: Use this feature to set the receiver's maximum volume level. This feature is useful to avoid turning the volume too loud by mistake. You can set the Max Volume from 1 to 99.
- Initial Volume Setting: Use this feature to set the volume level when the power is turned on. You can choose between Off (same as the volume when the unit was turned off), Mute, or 1 to 99.
- Input Trim: Use this feature to adjust the volume level of each input. This is useful to balance the level of each input to avoid sudden changes in volume when switching between input sources. The range is from -10 to +10.
Analog + Digital Inputs: The Yamaha R-N301 offers both analog and digital audio inputs in order to connect a variety of source components.
- Analog Audio Inputs: The Yamaha network receiver features four analog stereo RCA inputs to connect up to six audio components, and one stereo RCA record output to connect to a CD-recorder or other recording device.
- Digital Audio Inputs: The R-N301 is equipped for digital audio input, with both optical and coaxial terminals. The optical input is for receiving audio from a TV and Satellite/Cable box, while two coaxial input is used for receiving audio from a Blu-ray Disc player and CD player. The audio stays in the digital domain, giving you pure, pristine dynamic sound for all your entertainment sources, from sports and other programs to movies and concerts.
A & B Speaker Terminals: The R-N301 is fitted with A & B speaker terminals so you can power up to two pair of speakers (the A & B speaker terminals are wired in parallel inside the receiver). The speaker selector switch on the front-panel of the receiver makes it easy to switch between speaker outputs, allowing you to hear the sound from one speaker pair (A or B) or from both speaker pairs (A+B). The eight binding-post speaker terminals that will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, and banana plugs (single only).
Note: If connecting two pair of speakers, you will need to use 16-ohm rated speakers. If connecting only one pair of speakers, you can connect 8-ohm rated speakers.
Headphone Jack: The Yamaha R-N301 is equipped with a front-panel 1/4" headphone jack for connecting a set of headphone, so you can listen to your music privately. Connecting a set of headphones automatically mutes the receiver's speaker outputs.
Ethernet LAN Port (optional WiFi): The Yamaha network receiver is fitted with a RJ-45 Ethernet (LAN) port to connect the receiver to your home network to access your DLNA music server, or Internet Radio. There is also a rear-panel USB type-A port (5V/0.5A) that allows you to connect Yamaha's YWA-10 wireless network adapter (022YWA10, sold separately) for a wireless network connection.
DLNA Certification: The R-N301 is DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5 and Windows 7/8 compliant for audio networking. This means it's easier for you to access and enjoy digital music stored on your PC. You can use your PC to play high-bit rate music content through your audio system, or use the R-N301 to browse and play music files on your hard drive. You can control playback of your streamed audio files from the network receiver's remote control. The receiver also supports ID3-Tag and META tag information so song title, artist name, and album name can be displayed on the receiver's front-panel. The Yamaha receive supports the playback of the following music files.
- MP3 (up to 48kHz)
- WMA (up to 48kHz)
- AAC (up to 48kHz)
- WAV (up to 192kHz)
- FLAC (up to 192kHz)
Note: The network receiver supports the following music servers - (1) PC with Windows Media Player 11 or later installed, (2) PC with DLNA/UPnP Certificate server software installed, (3) NAS with DLNA/UPnP certification.
Internet Radio: The Yamaha R-N301's network connection provides access to Pandora, Spotify Connect, and vTuner Internet Radio. You can control the Internet Radio services from the network receiver's remote control and front-panel display. The receiver's front-panel display will indicate station name, album name, song title, and elapsed time.
- Pandora: Pandora is free, personalized radio that plays music and comedy you'll love. Just start with the name of one of your favorite artists, songs, comedians or composers and Pandora will create a custom station that plays similar tracks. You can also rate (thumbs up/thumbs down) songs as they play, and Pandora will adapt stations to your feedback. You can even bookmark up to 100 stations and easily switch between favorites.
- vTuner: You can also listen to Internet radio stations using the vTuner Internet Radio Station database service particularly customized for this unit, providing a database of numerous radio stations around the world. You can search for Internet Radio stations by Location, Genre, New, Popular, or Podcast.
- Spotify Connect: With the Spotify app on your Apple iOS or Android smartphone, you've got instant access to millions of songs. And now you can stream those same songs from your smartphone to the Yamaha network receiver by using Spotify Connect; simply hit play on the app to start streaming music. What's more, when you've been listening to Spotify on your smartphone outside and come inside, the song immediately begins to stream to the receiver for uninterrupted music enjoyment. You can also personalize playlists and receive phone calls while listening to music. The Spotify app for Apple iOS/Android devices and a premium account are required.
AirPlay: AirPlay lets you stream your favorite songs directly from your Apple iOS (4.3.3+) device or from your iTunes (10.2.2+) library on your Windows PC or Mac computer to the network stereo receiver, over your home's wireless network connection. From your Apple iOS device you are able to stream stored music on your device, downloaded music apps, and music on your iCloud to the AV receiver. From your Windows or Mac you can stream your stored iTunes music library on your computer to the network stereo receiver; you can even download Apple's free Remote App onto your compatible iOS device to browse and control playback functions of the music stored in your iTunes music library on your computer that is being streamed to the AV receiver. With AirPlay you also get to see song/artist information on the receiver's front-panel display.
AM/FM Tuner: The Yamaha R-N301 network receiver features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, and preset tuning. The R-N301 lets you store up to 40 AM/FM station presets. This can be done manually or automatically (auto-preset tuning). You can set this receiver to automatically match FM broadcast frequencies in stereo, or convert the frequency to monaural for weaker stations. An indoor FM wire antenna and AM loop antenna are included with the receiver.
Firmware Updates: New firmware will be released for the purpose of additional features or product improvements. Firmware updates can be downloaded from the Yamaha website. If this unit is connected to the Internet, the receiver will indicate when a new firmware version is available and you can download the firmware via the network connection. Firmware updates normally take approximately 20 minutes or longer. Check Yamaha's Support Download Site for the most recent firmware updates.
Simple & Sophisticated Front-Panel Design: With a beautiful and simple design inherited directly from Yamaha Hi-Fi audio components, this network stereo receiver boasts an easy to operate button layout. The front-panel has a rich textured black hairline finish and the control knobs are also of the same luxurious construction as top end models.
Front-Panel Display: The R-N301 network receiver features a front-panel display to indicate audio settings, source input, station identification, and song/artist information. You can adjust the brightness of the front-panel display. This unit does not offer an on-screen display.
Timers: The receiver offers a programmable Sleep Timer and Auto Power Down function.
- Sleep Timer: The receiver's Sleep Timer function can be set turn the unit automatically off after 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
- Auto Power Down: If you don't operate the receiver or use the remote for an extended period of time, the unit will automatically go into standby mode (Auto Power Down function). The Auto Power Down feature is selectable from 2, 4, 8, 12, or 20 hours.
Note: Power consumption during standby is only 0.1 W, achieving good energy saving performance.
IR Remote: The included IR remote control provides wireless operation of the network stereo receiver, network audio, and connected Yamaha components.
NP Controller App (for Apple iOS & Android): The free Network Player Controller App from iTunes Apps or Google Play turns your Apple iPod touch/iPhone/iPad (iOS 4.3+) or Android device into a WiFi enabled remote control for the Yamaha R-N301. The NP Controller App allows you to access the receiver's sources and control playback functions, as well as view song/artist information and album art; all from your compatible Apple iOS or Android device.
- Device Select: Networked Yamaha devices are automatically displayed in the device menu.
- Content Browsing: Browse music stored on your network connected DLNA server or select internet radio stations from vTuner.
- Music Player: Browse and play music stored on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device using the NP Controller App, with full access to cover art and track information.
- Song/Artist Information: Information such as artist name, song title, and album name are displayed via a colorful cover art image.
Note: You must have a wireless network in your home and the Yamaha network audio receiver & Apple or Android device connected to the same network.
9 questions already asked