About the Yamaha R-N402
Your music, your way
Your music, your way
Yamaha's R-N402 network stereo receiver combines traditional audio components with all your favorite wireless music sources, so you can listen to whatever you want, whenever you want. This versatile receiver has connections for up to six audio components and supports playback of several different high-resolution music formats through its front-panel USB port or a networked computer. Yamaha's Compressed Music Enhancer cleans up lower-resolution audio files so you get clear, dynamic sound from whatever music source you choose.
More music choices
The R-N402 has Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and Apple AirPlay all built in, so you have loads of options for wireless music streaming. Get music from around the world with vTuner Internet radio. There's built-in support for Pandora® and Spotify® Connect, so you can play and control your custom content directly through the receiver.
MusicCast gives you more wireless freedom
MusicCast makes it easy to build a whole home wireless audio system with compatible Yamaha wireless speakers, sound bars, and home theater receivers. You'll have plenty of sources to choose from, including your personal digital music library, Internet radio, and popular streaming services. You can also play Bluetooth sources, sound from your TV, and even CDs and vinyl. MusicCast also supports high-resolution audio formats. Control each room's speakers independently with the free MusicCast app. The app lets you control playback, browse music sources, and select which rooms you want to use. Play the same music throughout your home, or listen to something different in each room.
- 100 watts x 2 into 8 ohms (40-20,000 Hz) at 0.2% THD
- built-in Wi-Fi for listening to music from a networked PC, free internet radio, and music services
- Wireless Direct lets you stream music and control the player from a smartphone or tablet without a wireless home network
- includes support for Pandora, Rhapsody, SiriusXM and vTuner internet radio
- Spotify Connect lets you play Spotify's streaming music library through the receiver via your smartphone or tablet (requires Spotify app and a premium subscription)
- MusicCast wirelessly connects compatible Yamaha components for whole home audio
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music streaming from compatible devices
- also sends audio wirelessly to Bluetooth-enabled speakers or headphones
- Apple AirPlay for streaming music from an iPhone®, iPad®, iPod touch® or computer running iTunes®
- 24-bit/192kHz Burr-Brown digital-to-analog converter
- DLNA support for streaming music from compatible networked computers and NAS drives
- plays high-resolution digital music files via USB storage device or a networked computer (PCM up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution DSD up to 5.6 MHz)
- gapless playback of WAV, FLAC, ALAC, and AIFF files from USB thumb drives and networked computers
- Compressed Music Enhancer improves sound quality of MP3s and other digital music files streamed through Bluetooth
Connections and Dimensions:
- digital audio inputs: 1 optical, 1 coaxial
- 4 analog stereo RCA inputs
- stereo RCA recording output for audio dubbing
- front-panel USB input for playing music stored on a USB flash drive
- no phono input to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
- Ethernet port allows a hard-wired connection to your router
- 2 pairs of speaker connectors for A and B speakers
- headphone jack
- remote control
- 40 AM/FM presets
- voltage switch (110-120 V/220-240 V)
- 17-1/8"W x 5-1/2"H x 13-3/8"D
- weight: 16 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # R-N402BL
What's in the box:
- Network stereo receiver
- Remote control (RAX34)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- WLAN/Bluetooth antenna (pre-installed)
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna
- Owner's Manual
- Warranty Information
- Online Product Registration Information
- "Yamaha Worldwide Representative Offices" note
- Supplement for Spotify
- Supplement for Rhapsody
- Supplement for Pandora
- Supplement for SiriusXM
- Spotify instructions
Yamaha R-N402 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Yamaha R-N402
Features & specs
|Stereo RMS Power (watts)||100|
|THD in Stereo||0.2 %|
|Frequency Bandwidth (stereo)||40-20k Hz Hz|
|Minimum Impedance||8 ohms|
|FM Sensitivity||Not Given|
|Signal To Noise Ratio||100dB|
|Phono Signal to Noise Ratio||Not Given|
|Total Number of Zones||1|
|Inputs & Outputs|
|USB Connections||1 Front|
|Ethernet Wired Network Port||---|
|Total Audio Inputs||6|
|Digital Audio Inputs||1 Optical, 1 Coax|
|Speaker Output Pairs||2|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
"Natural Sound" Concept: Yamaha, with a long history of over 125 years as a musical instrument maker, also has a high reputation for HiFi components. Yamaha's R-N402 network stereo receiver takes advantage of this rich experience and high technological expertise. Based on the concept of "Natural Sound", for reproducing all music as it really sounds, and built with scrupulous care from circuit design to basic sound production, the R-N402 reproduces high sound quality and musically rich sound.
- Stereo Amplifier: The Yamaha R-N402 features a stereo amplifier rated at 100 watts x 2-channels, measured from 40-20 kHz into 8Ω with 0.2% THD.
- BurrBrown 192kHz/24-Bit DAC: The Yamaha R-N402 uses a high-performance BurrBrown 192kHz/24-bit DAC for high resolution audio playback.
High Quality Circuit Design: The R-N402 network receiver's design minimizes the length of signal routes and optimizes the circuit layout. Positioning the power transformer near the power amp circuit reduces power loss while improving the supply of peak power enabling a high output of volume. The signal ground and power supply ground are connected at one point, eliminating mutual interference to achieve a higher S/N ratio. The result is sound filled with clarity and a feeling of openness.
Tone Controls: You can adjust the balance of the high-frequency range (Treble) and low-frequency range (Bass) of sounds output from the receiver' front left and right speakers to obtain a desired tone. You can independently adjust the bass (20Hz) and treble (20kHz) from -10dB to +10dB in 0.5 dB increments. You can also balance your connected speakers left to right.
Volume Setup: The Yamaha R-N402 allows you to customize the receiver's volume levels.
- Max Volume Adjustment: Use this feature to set the receiver's maximum volume level. This feature is useful to avoid turning the volume too loud by mistake. You can set the Max Volume from 1 to 99.
- Initial Volume Setting: Use this feature to set the volume level when the power is turned on. You can choose between Off (same as the volume when the unit was turned off), Mute, or 1 to 99.
- Input Trim: Use this feature to adjust the volume level of each input. This is useful to balance the level of each input to avoid sudden changes in volume when switching between input sources. The range is from -10 to +10.
Analog + Digital Inputs: The Yamaha R-N402 offers both analog and digital audio inputs in order to connect a variety of source components.
- Stereo RCA: The Yamaha network receiver features four analog stereo RCA inputs to connect up tofour audio components, and one stereo RCA record output to connect to a CD-recorder or other recording device.
- Optical & Coaxial: The R-N402 is equipped for digital audio input, with both optical (toslink) and coaxial (RCA) terminals. The one optical digital input is for receiving audio from a TV, while the coaxial digital input are used for receiving audio from a Blu-ray Disc player. The audio stays in the digital domain, giving you pure, pristine dynamic sound for all your entertainment sources, from sports and other programs to movies and concerts.
A & B Speaker Terminals: The R-N402 is fitted with A & B speaker terminals so you can power up to two pair of speakers. The speaker selector switch on the front-panel of the receiver makes it easy to switch between speaker outputs, allowing you to hear the sound from one speaker pair (A or B) or from both speaker pairs (A+B). In addition, compatible speakers can be bi-wired using the A & B speaker terminals simultaneously (they are wired in parallel). The eight binding-post speaker terminals that will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, and banana plugs (single only). You can select 8 ohms or 16 ohms in the menu depending on your speaker application.
- Speakers A or B: 8Ω or higher
- Speakers A & B: 16Ω or higher
- Bi-Wiring: 8Ω or higher
Headphone Jack: The Yamaha R-N402 is equipped with a front-panel 1/4" headphone jack for connecting a set of headphone, so you can listen to your music privately. Connecting a set of headphones automatically mutes the receiver's speaker outputs. Sound effects applied during playback can also be heard through the headphones.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Yamaha R-N402 receiver is fitted with a RJ-45 Ethernet (LAN) port to connect the receiver to your home network. The unit also offers built-in WiFi (IEEE 802.11 b/g/n; 2.4GHz) for a wireless network connection; WPS, WEP, WPA-PSK (TKIP), WPA-PSK (AES), WPA2-PSK (AES) security protection is supported. Either network connection gives the receiver access to your DLNA music server and various online music services. Wireless network setup can be done via WPS button, Access Point Scan, Manual Setting, PIN Code, or even through your Apple iOS device (5.0+).
DLNA + WiFi Direct: The Yamaha R-N402 receiver supports music streaming from WiFi-enabled devices (via WiFi Direct) and DLNA certified devices (via your home network). Supported music files include; MP3 (up to 48 kHz), WMA (up to 48 kHz), AAC (up to 48 kHz), ALAC (up to 96 kHz), AIFF (up to 192kHz), WAV (up to 192 kHz), FLAC (up to 192 kHz), and DSD (2.8/5.6MHz).
- WiFi Direct: When using WiFi Direct, you can connect directly with other WiFi-enabled devices without using a wireless router. You'll be able to wirelessly stream a variety of music files to the Yamaha receiver without connecting to your home network. WiFi Direct completely bypasses your WiFi access point/router, so it's easy to set up. You'll continue to navigate your music and view song/artist information from your mobile device.
- DLNA Certified: The R-N402 is DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5 and Windows 7/8 compliant for audio networking. This means it's easier for you to access and enjoy digital music stored on your PC over your home network. You can use your PC to play high-bit rate music content through your audio system, or use the R-N402 to browse and play music files on your hard drive. You can control playback of your streamed audio files from the stereo receiver's remote control. The receiver also supports ID3-Tag and META tag information so song title, artist name, and album name can be displayed from the unit's front-panel display. The stereo receiver supports the following DLNA music servers - (1) PC with Windows Media Player 11 or later installed, (2) PC with DLNA/UPnP Certificate server software installed, (3) NAS with DLNA/UPnP certification.
Internet Radio: The Yamaha R-N402's network connection provides access to Pandora, Spotify, SiriusXM, Napster, and vTuner Internet Radio online music services. You can control the Internet Radio services from the receiver's remote and front-panel display. The receiver will display station name, album name and song title on the receiver's front-panel display.
|Pandora||Pandora is free, personalized radio that plays music and comedy you'll love. Just start with the name of one of your favorite artists, songs, comedians or composers and Pandora will create a custom station that plays similar tracks. You can also rate (thumbs up/thumbs down) songs as they play, and Pandora will adapt stations to your feedback. You can even bookmark up to 100 stations and easily switch between favorites.|
|Spotify Connect||With the Spotify app (premium account required) on your Apple iOS or Android smartphone, you've got instant access to millions of songs. And now you can stream those same songs from your smartphone to the Yamaha stereo receiver by using Spotify Connect; simply hit play on the app to start streaming music. What's more, when you've been listening to Spotify on your smartphone outside and come inside, the song immediately begins to stream to the receiver for uninterrupted music enjoyment. You can also personalize playlists and receive phone calls while listening to music.|
|SiriusXM||Requires firmware update. SiriusXM Internet Radio lets you listen to over 120 channels of commercial-free music, talk radio, news, sports, entertainment, and more.|
|Napster||Napster is a streaming music subscription service (starting a $10 per month) that allows you to play the full-length songs you choose on demand from a collection of over 10 million songs, without ads and without having to purchase or download the music.|
|vTuner||You can also listen to Internet radio stations using the vTuner Internet Radio Station database service particularly customized for this unit, providing a database of numerous radio stations around the world. You can search for Internet Radio stations by Location, Genre, New, Popular, or Podcast.|
AM/FM Tuner: The Yamaha R-N402 network receiver features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, and preset tuning. The R-N402 lets you store up to 40 AM/FM station presets. This can be done manually or automatically (auto-preset tuning). You can set this receiver to automatically match FM broadcast frequencies in stereo, or convert the frequency to monaural for weaker stations. An indoor FM wire antenna and AM loop antenna are included with the receiver.
Firmware Updates: New firmware will be released for the purpose of additional features or product improvements. Firmware updates can be downloaded from the Yamaha website. If this unit is connected to the Internet, the receiver will indicate when a new firmware version is available and you can download the firmware via the network connection. Firmware updates normally take approximately 20 minutes or longer. Check Yamaha's Support Download Site for the most recent firmware updates.
USB Port: The Yamaha R-N402 receiver is equipped with a front-panel USB (type-A) port that allows you to enjoy a variety of music files stored on a USB mass storage class memory device; such as select Android smartphones (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only), portable MP3 players, or USB thumbdrives (not compatible with USB HDDs). Your USB mass storage class device must be formatted in FAT 16 or FAT32.You can use the receiver's front-panel display and remote control to navigate your stored music files on your connected USB memory device. USB portable audio players that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the receiver's USB port (5V/1A); even in standby mode. Compatible music files include:
- MP3 (up to 48 kHz)
- WMA (up to 48 kHz)
- AAC (up to 48 kHz)
- ALAC (up to 96 kHz)
- AIFF (up to 192 kHz)
- WAV (up to 192 kHz)
- FLAC (up to 192 kHz)
- DSD (2.8/5.6 MHz)
AirPlay: AirPlay lets you stream your favorite songs directly from your Apple iOS (4.3.3+) device or from your iTunes (10.2.2+) library on your Windows PC or Mac computer to the stereo receiver, over your home's wireless network connection. From your Apple iOS device you are able to stream stored music on your device, downloaded music apps, and music on your iCloud to the stereo receiver. From your Windows or Mac you can stream your stored iTunes music library on your computer to the stereo receiver; you can even download Apple's free Remote App onto your compatible iOS device to browse and control playback functions of the the music stored in your iTunes music library on your computer that is being streamed to the stereo receiver. With AirPlay you also get to see song/artist information on the receiver's front-panel display.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The R-N402 is equipped with built-in Bluetooth 2.1+EDR (A2DP) which let you easily enjoy wireless audio playback of stored music and music apps from your Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, Windows Phone/PC, Mac computer/laptop, and other Bluetooth-enabled devices through the receiver. Song/artist information will be displayed on the front-panel of the receiver. You'll still use your Bluetooth-enabled device to control music playback.
- SBC + AAC Codecs: In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the Yamaha receiver offers support of AAC. By supporting AAC, the receiver offers better audio performance of the music streamed from your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
- Compressed Music Enhancer: The Yamaha receiver's Compressed Music Enhancer feature is even optimized for Bluetooth audio transmissions to ensure that your music will have vivid, lively sound quality during wireless playback.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Yamaha stereo receiver.
MusicCast Wireless Multiroom Streaming: This stereo receiver supports Yamaha's MusicCast multiroom audio eco-system, which allows you to wirelessly play back a wide variety of audio sources and content in multiple rooms of your home (additional MusicCast products sold separately). MusicCast works with your home's existing WiFi router and Yamaha's free MusicCast App for Apple iOS and Android devices. You'll be able to stream the receiver's tuner, analog inputs, digital inputs, Bluetooth, and network sources to other MusicCast products installed in your home. In addition, you'll be able to stream your MusicCast products' sources to the stereo receiver. MusicCast supports the following source content.
- Analog & Digital Sources: External devices connected to the receiver via optical/coax digital, analog, or USB can be played back over the MusicCast eco-system. *Multi-channel content (5.1ch/7.1ch) is down-mixed to 2-channel sound.
- Tuner & Online Music Services: MusicCast offers support for Pandora, Spotify Connect, SiriusXM, Napster & vTuner. Tidal & Deezer will be available through a firmware update scheduled for the late summer of 2017. The receiver's built-in AM/FM tuner is also supported.
- DLNA: MusicCast supports DLNA, allowing access to DLNA-compatible computers and network attached storage (NAS) devices. With support for WAV, FLAC, and AIFF (up to 192kHz/24-bit), ALAC (up to 96kHz/24-bit), and MP3, WMA, and AAC (up to 48kHz). Master room playback is at the native sampling rate and other rooms down-convert to 48kHz.
- Bluetooth: The receiver's Bluetooth source (SBC codec only) can be streamed to multiple MusicCast devices, so Bluetooth audio can be played in multiple rooms simultaneously. MusicCast devices can also stream out non-Bluetooth sources to most any Bluetooth speaker or headphones (regardless of manufacture), making it convenient to expand MusicCast to your existing audio products.
MusicCast App: The free MusicCast app can be downloaded for Apple (iOS 7.1+) iPod/iPhone/iPad and Android (OS4.1+) smartphones/tablets. The MusicCast app puts control of your whole home listening experience in the palm of your hand from your Apple iOS or Android device. You'll be able to quickly select the room or rooms you want to listen to music in, select the source or sources you want to listen to, browse music content from your music library and online music services or Internet Radio, plus control music playback functions.
- Rooms: Choose which room or rooms you want to listen to music in. You can select a different source for each room, group certain rooms together for playback of the same source, or link all rooms together so the same source is played back throughout the house.
- Source Selection: From the app you can select which source or sources you want to listen to; choose from network-connected devices, select online music services, Internet Radio or Bluetooth. You can also select from the stereo receiver's digital, analog, and USB inputs.
- Zone Control: You can activate the receiver's Zone function from the app's settings menu. The MusicCast app will then allow you to select inputs and provide basic volume controls on secondary zones.
- Music Browsing: You can browse music libraries from your network-connected devices; like your smartphone, tablet, computer, or laptop. You can also browse music content from select online music services and search Internet Radio stations from the MusicCast app.
- Playback & Song/Artist Info: From the MusiCast app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device you get Volume Up/Down, Play/Pause, and Previous/Next Track; as well as song/artist information and album art.
- Favorites: Internet radio stations, content from select online music services, plus playlists and songs from your network-connected device's music library can be saved as "Favorites" for quick recall within the MusicCast app.
- Personalization & Customization: With the app's unique personalization features, you can choose from preloaded room images or change the color of buttons to represent each room in the home, or even take pictures of their own home and assign the images to each button. The content source buttons can also be customized to rename, remove or reorder selections for easier operation.
Note: Up to 10 MusicCast devices can be controlled by the MusicCast app.
Front-Panel Display: The R-N402 network receiver features a front-panel display to indicate audio settings, source input, station identification, and song/artist information. You can adjust the brightness of the front-panel display. This unit does not offer an on-screen display.
IR Remote: The included IR remote control provides wireless operation of the network stereo receiver, network audio, and connected Yamaha components.
Gapless Playback: Many live and classical albums have no gaps in the music. Gapless playback ensures that there are no pauses between audio files. This provides playback with no interruptions, the way it was meant to be heard. Compatible with WAV, FLAC, AIFF, and ALAC music files via USB or DLNA.
ECO Mode: When the ECO Mode is enabled, you can reduce the receiver' power consumption by keeping the maximum volume, maximum output power, and front display's brightness low. ECO mode reduces power consumption by approximately 20%.
Timers: The receiver offers a programmable Sleep Timer and Auto Power Down function.
- Sleep Timer: The receiver's Sleep Timer function can be set turn the unit automatically off after 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
- Auto Power Down: If you don't operate the receiver or use the remote for an extended period of time, the unit will automatically go into standby mode (Auto Power Down function). The Auto Power Down feature is selectable from 2, 4, 8 or 12 hours.
5 questions already asked