About the Yamaha R-N500
Stereo sound meets networking convenience
Stereo sound meets networking convenience
Why should home theater receivers get to have all the fun? That's the question that prompted Yamaha to design the R-N500 stereo receiver with network capability. Where many stereo receivers stop short of streaming music options, the R-N500 embraces them with support for Internet music services, including Pandora®, vTuner, and Spotify®. If you have a Spotify Premium subscription, this receiver lets you enjoy all your favorite artists and playists on your home stereo. Spotify Connect means you can be listening on your mobile device when you're out and about, then keep enjoying the same tune without missing a beat when you come home. Spotify Connect requires a wireless home network and a wired connection between the receiver and network or a wireless connection using the optional Yamaha Wi-Fi adapter.
The R-N500 has support for Apple AirPlay and DLNA-compatible devices as well. Connect this receiver to your home network router and turn your compatible computer, smartphone, and tablet into bona fide wireless sources. They'll make sweet music alongside your CD and Blu-ray players, turntable, and other components thanks to the R-N500's high-power, low-noise construction.
Stream your iTunes® library wirelessly with AirPlay
If you use any Apple portable devices or iTunes on your computer, then you'll love the R-N500's built-in support for Apple AirPlay. It lets you stream music directly from an iPhone®, iPad®, or iPod touch®, no wires required. Plus, if you have a large iTunes library on a networked computer, all those songs can be sent to the receiver as well. If you're not an Apple user, this receiver's DLNA-compatibility opens up wireless streaming to compatible PCs, music servers, and Android™ devices.
Free control app for Apple and Android
A network connection also offers you the opportunity for smartphone control using Yamaha's free Network Player Controller app. Download it to your Apple or Android device to use it as Wi-Fi® remote. It lets you select streaming music options and even view album artwork with select sources. Yamaha plans future firmware upgrades to add more Internet music choices to the R-N500.
Modern sources are welcome, as well as legacy components
In addition to network sources, the R-N500 offers plenty of digital and analog inputs for sources like disc players, turntables, and even cassette decks for audio dubbing. Or if you're interested in more modern equipment, there's a front-panel USB port. It offers a direct digital connection for iPods, iPads, and iPhones. It also accepts USB thumb drives — perfect for loading high-resolution FLAC and WAV files to take advantage of this player's 24-bit/192kHz digital-to-analog conversion.
- 80 watts x 2 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.04% THD
- 4-ohm capability allows use with a wide range of speakers
- Internet-ready for listening to music from online services such as Spotify (premium subscription required), Pandora, and vTuner
- Apple AirPlay for streaming music from an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch or computer running iTunes
- DLNA 1.5 certified for streaming music with compatible computers, music servers, and portable devices
- plays high-resolution digital music files via USB storage device or a networked computer (up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution)
- free Yamaha Network Player Controller app lets you use your Apple or Android device as a Wi-Fi remote
- front-panel rotary controls for loudness, bass, treble, and balance
- Pure Direct mode bypasses tone, balance, and loudness controls for cleaner sound
- 40 AM/FM presets
- remote control
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Connections and Dimensions:
- front-panel USB input for connecting an iPod, iPhone, iPad, or thumb drive
- digital audio inputs: 2 optical, 2 coaxial
- 5 stereo RCA inputs (including moving magnet phono)
- 2 recording outputs for audio dubbing
- 1 mono RCA output for powered subwoofer
- rear-panel USB input for use with the Yamaha wireless adapter
- remote input/output for external control systems
- Ethernet port
- 2 pairs of speaker connectors for Front A and B speakers
- full-size (1/4") headphone jack
- 17-1/8"W x 6"H x 15-5/16"D
- weight: 21.6 lbs.
- MFR # R-N500BL
What's in the box:
- Network stereo receiver
- Remote control (RAS9)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna
- Owner's Manual
- Warranty Information
- Online Product Registration Information
- "Yamaha Worldwide Representative Offices" note
Yamaha R-N500 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Yamaha R-N500
Features & specs
|Stereo RMS Power (watts)||80|
|THD in Stereo||0.04 %|
|Frequency Bandwidth (stereo)||20-20k Hz|
|Minimum Impedance||4 ohms|
|FM Sensitivity||Not Given|
|Signal To Noise Ratio||100dB|
|Phono Signal to Noise Ratio||87dB|
|Total Number of Zones||---|
|Inputs & Outputs|
|Ethernet Wired Network Port||---|
|Total Audio Inputs||---|
|Digital Audio Inputs||2 Opt./2 Coax.|
|Speaker Output Pairs||2|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
ToP-ART/High Current Amplification: Yamaha uses the ToP-ART (Total Purity Audio Reproduction Technology) design concept, which combines the latest and best technologies, parts, and circuit designs, to maximize sound quality. High Current Amplification uses superior quality components from input to output to achieve high current power with low impedance. With 80 watts of power per channel (at 8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.04% THD), the R-N500 delivers solid, reliable audio performance even when driving both A & B speakers at the same time.
Audio Settings: The R-N500 network receiver offers a variety of audio adjustments to customize the sound of your music.
- Tone Control: You can adjust the balance of the high-frequency range (Treble) and low-frequency range (Bass) of sounds output from the receiver' front left and right speakers to obtain a desired tone. You can independently adjust the bass (20Hz) and treble (20kHz) from -6dB to +6dB in 0.5 dB increments. You can also balance your connected speakers left to right.
- Loudness Control: The R-N500 also features a dedicated loudness control on the front-panel, which lets you adjust the loudness effect as desired. Separate from the overall volume, this controls the balance of the low and high frequency sounds, providing full tonal range at any volume level, compensating for the natural loss in the human ear of high and low frequencies at soft levels.
- Pure Direct: Engaging the Pure Direct switch causes the audio signal to bypass the control circuits for bass and treble, balance and the back buffer amp. This improves sound quality while maintaining full output capacity. Shortening the signal route improves sound purity, helping to reproduce even the most delicate musical nuances.
Volume Setup: The Yamaha R-N500 allows you to customize the receiver's volume levels.
- Max Volume Adjustment: Use this feature to set the receiver's maximum volume level. This feature is useful to avoid turning the volume too loud by mistake. You can set the Max Volume from -30 dB to +15 dB in 5 dB steps, or to +16.5 dB (full volume range is -80 dB to +16.5 dB).
- Initial Volume Setting: Use this feature to set the volume level when the power is turned on. You can choose between Off (same as the volume when the unit was turned off), Mute, and -80 dB to + 16.5 dB in increments of 0.5 dB.
- Volume Trim: Use this feature to adjust the volume level of each input. This is useful to balance the level of each input to avoid sudden changes in volume when switching between input sources. The range is from -6 dB to +6 dB in 0.5 dB increments.
Analog + Digital Inputs: The Yamaha R-N500 offers both analog and digital audio inputs in order to connect a variety of source components.
- Analog Audio Inputs: The Yamaha network receiver features five analog stereo RCA inputs to connect up to five audio components, and two stereo RCA record outputs to connect to a CD-recorder and other recording device. Included in the five analog inputs is a Phono input (MM) for vinyl playback.
- Digital Audio Inputs: The R-N500 is equipped for digital audio input, with both optical and coaxial terminals. The two optical inputs are for receiving audio from a TV and Satellite/Cable box, while the two coaxial inputs are used for receiving audio from a Blu-ray Disc player and CD player. The audio stays in the digital domain, giving you pure, pristine dynamic sound for all your entertainment sources, from sports and other programs to movies and concerts.
A & B Speaker Terminals: The R-N500 is fitted with A & B speaker terminals so you can power up to two pair of speakers. The speaker selector switch on the front-panel of the receiver makes it easy to switch between speaker outputs, allowing you to hear the sound from one speaker pair (A or B) or from both speaker pairs (A+B). In addition, compatible speakers can be bi-wired using the A & B speaker terminals simultaneously (they are wired in parallel). The eight binding-post speaker terminals that will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, and banana plugs (single only). You can select 8 ohms or 4 ohms in the menu depending on your speaker application.
Subwoofer Output: The network stereo receiver is equipped with a mono-subwoofer output for connecting a powered sub.
Headphone Jack: The Yamaha R-N500 is equipped with a front-panel 1/4" headphone jack for connecting a set of headphone, so you can listen to your music privately. Connecting a set of headphones automatically mutes the receiver's speaker outputs. Sound effects applied during playback can also be heard through the headphones.
Ethernet LAN Port (optional WiFi): The Yamaha network receiver is fitted with a RJ-45 Ethernet (LAN) port to connect the receiver to your home network to access your DLNA music server, or Internet Radio. There is also a rear-panel USB type-A port (5V/0.5A) that allows you to connect Yamaha's YWA-10 wireless network adapter (022YWA10, sold separately) for a wireless network connection.
DLNA 1.5/Windows 7 Certified: The R-N500 is DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5 and Windows 7 compliant for audio networking. This means it's easier for you to access and enjoy digital music stored on your PC. You can use your PC to play high-bit rate music content through your audio system, or use the R-N500 to browse and play music files on your hard drive. You can control playback of your streamed audio files from the network receiver's remote control. The receiver also supports ID3-Tag and META tag information so song title, artist name, and album name can be displayed on the unit's front-panel. The Yamaha receive supports the playback of the following music files.
- MP3 (up to 48kHz/320kbps)
- WMA (up to 48kHz/320kbps)
- AAC (up to 48kHz/320kbps)
- WAV (up to 192kHz/24-bit)
- FLAC (up to 192kHz/24-bit)
Note: The network receiver supports the following music servers - (1) PC with Windows Media Player 11 or later installed, (2) PC with DLNA/UPnP Certificate server software installed, (3) NAS with DLNA/UPnP certification.
Internet Radio: The Yamaha R-N500's network connection provides access to Pandora, Spotify, and vTuner Internet Radio. You can control the Internet Radio services from the network receiver's remote control and front-panel display. The receiver's front-panel display will indicate station name, album name, song title, and elapsed time.
- Pandora: Pandora is free, personalized radio that plays music and comedy you'll love. Just start with the name of one of your favorite artists, songs, comedians or composers and Pandora will create a custom station that plays similar tracks. You can also rate (thumbs up/thumbs down) songs as they play, and Pandora will adapt stations to your feedback. You can even bookmark up to 100 stations and easily switch between favorites.
- vTuner: You can also listen to Internet radio stations using the vTuner Internet Radio Station database service particularly customized for this unit, providing a database of numerous radio stations around the world. You can search for Internet Radio stations by Location, Genre, New, Popular, or Podcast.
- Spotify Connect: With the Spotify app on your Apple iOS or Android smartphone, you've got instant access to millions of songs. And now you can stream those same songs from your smartphone to the Yamaha AV receiver by using Spotify Connect; simply hit play on the app to start streaming music. What's more, when you've been listening to Spotify on your smartphone outside and come inside, the song immediately begins to stream to the receiver for uninterrupted music enjoyment. You can also personalize playlists and receive phone calls while listening to music. The Spotify app for Apple iOS/Android devices and a premium account are required.
AM/FM Tuner: The Yamaha R-N500 network receiver features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, and preset tuning. The R-N500 lets you store up to 40 AM/FM station presets. This can be done manually or automatically (auto-preset tuning). You can set this receiver to automatically match FM broadcast frequencies in stereo, or convert the frequency to monaural for weaker stations. An indoor FM wire antenna and AM loop antenna are included with the receiver.
Firmware Updates: New firmware will be released for the purpose of additional features or product improvements. Firmware updates can be downloaded from the Yamaha website. If this unit is connected to the Internet, the receiver will indicate when a new firmware version is available and you can download the firmware via the network connection. Firmware updates normally take approximately 20 minutes or longer. The test network stereo receiver contained firmware version 1.03 (as of 11/15/2013). Check Yamaha's Support Download Site for the most recent firmware updates.
USB Port: This network stereo receiver is equipped with a front-panel USB (type-A) port that allows you to enjoy MP3 (up to 48kHz/320kbps), WMA (up to 48kHz/320kbps), AAC (up to 48kHz/320kbps), WAV (up to 192kHz/24-bit), and FLAC (up to 192kHz/24-bit) music files from a USB mass storage class memory device; such as your Android smartphone, portable MP3 player or USB thumbdrive (not compatible with USB HDDs). Your USB mass storage class device must be formatted in FAT 16 or FAT32 . Using the unit's front-panel display and included remote control, you can browse your stored music files on your connected USB memory device. USB portable audio players that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the network stereo receiver's USB port (5V/2.1A); even in standby mode.
iPod/iPhone Integration: The network stereo receiver supports connection of your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad through its USB port or via AirPlay.
- AirPlay: This network stereo receiver supports AirPlay, which means it can accept wireless music streaming from your iPod touch, iPhone or iPad; as well as from iTunes on Macs or PCs. This makes it easy to enjoy your iTunes music from your mobile Apple iOS device or computer on your home theater system. You can even view metadata such as song title, artist name, as well as album art via network stereo receiver's on-screen display. In addition, you can download Apple's free "Remote" application and use your Apple device as the remote control for your iTunes account. To use the AirPlay feature you need a Mac or Windows-based PC running iTunes (10.2.2 or later) connected to your wireless home network. Your iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad must have iOS 4.3.3 or later installed and connected to the same wireless home network.
- iPod/iPhone Direct: The USB (type-A) port on the front-panel provides convenient connection for your iPod/iPhone so you can listen to your stored music and music apps through the Yamaha network stereo receiver. The iPod/iPhone USB digital connection means that the digital audio signal from your iPod/iPhone is transmitted directly to the system, minimizing noise interference and allowing use of the receiver's DAC, not the DAC in your iPod/iPhone. This results in more precise sound reproduction. You can choose to control your Apple device from its own touchscreen/clickwheel or from the network receiver. Using the unit's front-panel display and included remote control, you can browse your iPod/iPhone's stored music content via Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Genre, or Composer. You can also control Repeat & Shuffle functions. Basic playback functions (such as Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track) for music apps can also be controlled by the network receiver's remote. Song/artist information from stored music and music apps on your iPod/iPhone will display on your connected the unit's front-panel display. Your iPod/iPhone's battery will be charged while connected to the receiver (max. 2.1A).
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: Using the Lightning- or Dock-cable that came with your Apple device to connect directly to the Yamaha network stereo receiver, iPod/iPhone compatibility is as follows (as of 12/23/2014):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Connector Type||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|USB||AirPlay||Audio||Video||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Album Art||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Front-Panel Display: The R-N500 network receiver features a front-panel display to indicate audio settings, source input, station identification, and song/artist information. You can adjust the brightness of the front-panel display. This unit does not offer an on-screen display.
ECO Mode: When the ECO Mode is enabled, you can reduce the receiver' power consumption by keeping the maximum volume, maximum output power, and front display's brightness low. ECO mode reduces power consumption by approximately 20%.
Timers: The receiver offers a programmable Sleep Timer and Auto Power Down function.
- Sleep Timer: The receiver's Sleep Timer function can be set turn the unit automatically off after 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
- Auto Power Down: If you don't operate the receiver or use the remote for an extended period of time, the unit will automatically go into standby mode (Auto Power Down function). The Auto Power Down feature is selectable from 2, 4, 8 or 12 hours.
Add-on Bluetooth Audio Receiver: The Yamaha YBA-11 Bluetooth Audio Receiver (022YBA11, sold separately) can be used to wirelessly connect your Bluetooth-enabled mobile devices to the Yamaha stereo receiver. The YBA-11 connects to the digital coaxial audio input on the back of the Yamaha stereo receiver and is powered by the rear-panel DC Out/USB type-A port (5V/0.5A) of the receiver.
IR Remote: The included IR remote control provides wireless operation of the network stereo receiver, connected Yamaha components, and USB-connected devices. In addition, the remote can be programmed to control other brands of components.
NP Controller App (for Apple iOS & Android): The free Network Player Controller App from iTunes Apps or Google Play turns your Apple iPod touch/iPhone/iPad (iOS 4.3+) or Android device into a Wi-Fi enabled remote control for the Yamaha R-N500. The NP Controller App allows you to access the receiver's sources and control playback functions, as well as view song/artist information and album art; all from your compatible Apple iOS or Android device.
- Device Select: Networked Yamaha devices are automatically displayed in the device menu.
- Content Browsing: Browse music stored on your network connected DLNA server or select internet radio stations from vTuner.
- Music Player: Browse and play music stored on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device using the NP Controller App, with full access to cover art and track information.
- Song/Artist Information: Information such as artist name, song title, and album name are displayed via a colorful cover art image.
Note: You must have a wireless network in your home and the Yamaha network audio receiver & Apple or Android device connected to the same network.
Remote Input/Output: The receiver has remote input and remote output minijack terminals for use with external IR receivers and compatible Yamaha components.
15 questions already asked