About the Yamaha R-N602
Wireless music for your living room...or every room
Wireless music for your living room...or every room
Yamaha's R-N602 puts a ton of wireless music options at your fingertips. This stereo receiver connects to your home network with built-in Wi-Fi. Twist the front-panel selector dial to tune in Spotify®, SiriusXM, Pandora®, and vTuner Internet radio stations (subscriptions required for some streaming services). Or select music from computers and drives on your network, or more traditional stereo components like a CD player or turntable. You can even play high-res downloads, including DSD and FLAC files.
Yamaha's MusicCast system includes an excellent mobile app for multi-room playback.
Built-in Bluetooth lets you stream audio from your mobile devices, and a front-panel USB input lets you plug in a thumb drive or iPod®. The receiver features Yamaha's flexible MusicCast multi-room system, so you can enjoy all of those music sources in other rooms. That includes Bluetooth streams or components connected to the receiver's analog inputs. Just add compatible speakers and components to the other areas of your home where you want to hear your music. Control your whole-house system using Yamaha's colorful and intuitive MusicCast app on your phone or tablet.
Satisfying sound and nice retro touches
I heard the R-N602 in our training room here at Crutchfield HQ, which is quite a large space to fill. The receiver's 80-watt-per-channel stereo amplifier delivered clear, punchy sound when driving a pair of Klipsch RB-61 II bookshelf speakers. The music was rich, detailed, and immediately inviting, even when we listened to low-res Internet radio streamed over Bluetooth from our smartphones. And that was with minimal tweaking to our setup, with all the receiver's controls set to flat. If you're the kind of listener who likes old-school tone controls, the R-N602 has convenient front-panel rotary knobs for bass, treble, balance, and even an adjustable loudness control — an attractive combination of retro and futuristic features.
- 80 watts x 2 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.04% THD
- front-panel volume knob and rotary bass, treble, and balance controls
- Pure Direct mode switches off front-panel display and other unnecessary circuits for the best possible sound
- Yamaha's ToP-ART design for optimum sound quality
- adjustable loudness control boosts high and low frequencies at lower volumes
- 40 AM/FM presets
- remote control
Network Music Features:
- built-in Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g/n, 2.4 GHz) for connection to your home network
- built-in Bluetooth lets you stream directly from compatible devices
- also sends audio wirelessly to Bluetooth-enabled speakers or headphones
- Wi-Fi Direct lets you connect compatible devices to the receiver wirelessly, without the need for a wireless access point
- free MusicCast app lets you control music playback with your Apple or Android device
- support for online music services, including Spotify, Pandora, SiriusXM, and thousands of free Internet radio stations (subscription required for some services)
- connects wirelessly to other Yamaha speakers and receivers with MusicCast to play the same song through multiple speakers or different songs in different rooms
- plays MP3, AAC, WMA, FLAC, ALAC, WAV, and AIFF files
- Apple AirPlay for streaming music from an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch or computer running iTunes
- supports high-res playback for PCM-based files up to 24-bit/192kHz as well as DSD files up to 5.6 MHz
- DLNA support for streaming music from compatible networked computers and NAS drives
Connections and Dimensions:
- digital audio inputs: 2 optical, 2 coaxial
- 4 line-level stereo RCA inputs
- phono input (stereo RCA) for connecting a turntable
- 2 stereo RCA recording outputs for audio dubbing
- front-panel USB input for playing music stored on a USB flash drive
- Ethernet port allows a hard-wired connection to your router
- 2 pairs of speaker connectors for A and B speakers
- mono RCA output for powered subwoofer
- full-size (1/4") headphone jack
- 17-1/8"W x 5-15/16"H x 15-5/8"D
- weight: 21.6 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # R-N602BL
What's in the box:
- Network stereo receiver
- Remote control (RAX32)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- WLAN/Bluetooth antenna
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna
- Owner's Manual
- Warranty Information
- Online Product Registration Information
- "Yamaha Worldwide Representative Offices" note
- Supplement for Spotify
- Supplement for Rhapsody
- Supplement for Pandora
- Supplement for SiriusXM
- Spotify instructions
Yamaha R-N602 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Yamaha R-N602
Features & specs
|Stereo RMS Power (watts)||80|
|THD in Stereo||0.04 %|
|Frequency Bandwidth (stereo)||20-20k Hz Hz|
|Minimum Impedance||4 ohms|
|FM Sensitivity||Not Given|
|Signal To Noise Ratio||100dB|
|Phono Signal to Noise Ratio||97dB|
|Total Number of Zones||1|
|Inputs & Outputs|
|USB Connections||Type-A (Front)|
|Ethernet Wired Network Port||Yes|
|Total Audio Inputs||9|
|Digital Audio Inputs||2 Coax/2 Optical|
|Speaker Output Pairs||2|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
ToP-ART/High Current Amplification: Yamaha uses the ToP-ART (Total Purity Audio Reproduction Technology) design concept, which combines the latest and best technologies, parts, and circuit designs, to maximize sound quality. High Current Amplification uses superior quality components from input to output to achieve high current power with low impedance. With 80 watts of power per channel (at 8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.04% THD), the R-N602 delivers solid, reliable audio performance even when driving both A & B speakers at the same time.
BurrBrown 192kHz/24-Bit DAC: The Yamaha R-N602 uses a high-performance BurrBrown 192kHz/24-bit DAC for high resolution audio playback.
Audio Settings: The R-N602 network receiver offers a variety of audio adjustments to customize the sound of your music.
- Tone Control: You can adjust the balance of the high-frequency range (Treble) and low-frequency range (Bass) of sounds output from the receiver' front left and right speakers to obtain a desired tone. You can independently adjust the bass (20Hz) and treble (20kHz) from -10dB to +10dB in 0.5 dB increments. You can also balance your connected speakers left to right.
- Loudness Control: The R-N602 also features a dedicated loudness control on the front-panel, which lets you adjust the loudness effect as desired. Separate from the overall volume, this controls the balance of the low and high frequency sounds, providing full tonal range at any volume level, compensating for the natural loss in the human ear of high and low frequencies at soft levels.
- Pure Direct: Engaging the Pure Direct switch causes the audio signal to bypass the control circuits for bass and treble, balance and the back buffer amp. This improves sound quality while maintaining full output capacity. Shortening the signal route improves sound purity, helping to reproduce even the most delicate musical nuances.
Volume Setup: The Yamaha R-N602 allows you to customize the receiver's volume levels.
- Max Volume Adjustment: Use this feature to set the receiver's maximum volume level. This feature is useful to avoid turning the volume too loud by mistake. You can set the Max Volume from -30 dB to +15 dB in 5 dB steps, or to +16.5 dB (full volume range is -80 dB to +16.5 dB).
- Initial Volume Setting: Use this feature to set the volume level when the power is turned on. You can choose between Off (same as the volume when the unit was turned off), Mute, and -80 dB to + 16.5 dB in increments of 0.5 dB.
- Volume Trim: Use this feature to adjust the volume level of each input. This is useful to balance the level of each input to avoid sudden changes in volume when switching between input sources. The range is from -6 dB to +6 dB in 0.5 dB increments.
Analog + Digital Inputs: The Yamaha R-N602 offers both analog and digital audio inputs in order to connect a variety of source components.
- Analog w/ Phono (MM): The Yamaha network receiver features five analog stereo RCA inputs to connect up to five audio components, and two stereo RCA record outputs to connect to a CD-recorder and other recording device. Included in the five analog inputs is a Phono input (MM) for vinyl playback.
- Optical/Coax Digital: The R-N602 is equipped for digital audio input, with both optical (toslink) and coaxial (RCA) terminals. The two optical inputs are for receiving audio from a TV and Satellite/Cable box, while the two coaxial inputs are used for receiving audio from a Blu-ray Disc player and CD player. The audio stays in the digital domain, giving you pure, pristine dynamic sound for all your entertainment sources, from sports and other programs to movies and concerts. The optical & coaxial digital inputs will only support 2ch PCM (not compatible with Dolby Digital/DTS).
A & B Speaker Terminals: The R-N602 is fitted with A & B speaker terminals so you can power up to two pair of speakers. The speaker selector switch on the front-panel of the receiver makes it easy to switch between speaker outputs, allowing you to hear the sound from one speaker pair (A or B) or from both speaker pairs (A+B). In addition, compatible speakers can be bi-wired using the A & B speaker terminals simultaneously (they are wired in parallel). The eight binding-post speaker terminals that will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, and banana plugs (single only). You can select 8 ohms or 4 ohms in the menu depending on your speaker application.
Subwoofer Output: The network stereo receiver is equipped with a mono-subwoofer output for connecting a powered sub.
Headphone Jack: The Yamaha R-N602 is equipped with a front-panel 1/4" headphone jack for connecting a set of headphone, so you can listen to your music privately. Connecting a set of headphones automatically mutes the receiver's speaker outputs. Sound effects applied during playback can also be heard through the headphones.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Yamaha R-N602 receiver is fitted with a RJ-45 Ethernet (LAN) port to connect the receiver to your home network. The unit also offers built-in WiFi (IEEE 802.11 b/g/n; 2.4GHz) for a wireless network connection; WPS, WEP, WPA-PSK (TKIP), WPA-PSK (AES), WPA2-PSK (AES) security protection is supported. Either network connection gives the receiver access to your DLNA music server and various online music services. Wireless network setup can be done via WPS button, Access Point Scan, Manual Setting, PIN Code, or even through your Apple iOS device (5.0+).
DLNA + WiFi Direct: The Yamaha R-N602 receiver supports music streaming from WiFi-enabled devices (via WiFi Direct) and DLNA certified devices (via your home network). Supported music files include; MP3 (up to 48 kHz), WMA (up to 48 kHz), AAC (up to 48 kHz), ALAC (up to 96 kHz), AIFF (up to 192kHz), WAV (up to 192 kHz), FLAC (up to 192 kHz), and DSD (2.8/5.6MHz).
- WiFi Direct: When using WiFi Direct, you can connect directly with other WiFi-enabled devices without using a wireless router. You'll be able to wirelessly stream a variety of music files to the Yamaha receiver without connecting to your home network. WiFi Direct completely bypasses your WiFi access point/router, so it's easy to set up. You'll continue to navigate your music and view song/artist information from your mobile device.
- DLNA Certified: The R-N602 is DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5 and Windows 7/8 compliant for audio networking. This means it's easier for you to access and enjoy digital music stored on your PC over your home network. You can use your PC to play high-bit rate music content through your audio system, or use the R-N602 to browse and play music files on your hard drive. You can control playback of your streamed audio files from the stereo receiver's remote control. The receiver also supports ID3-Tag and META tag information so song title, artist name, and album name can be displayed from the unit's front-panel display. The stereo receiver supports the following DLNA music servers - (1) PC with Windows Media Player 11 or later installed, (2) PC with DLNA/UPnP Certificate server software installed, (3) NAS with DLNA/UPnP certification.
Online Music Services: The Yamaha R-N602 offers access to Internet Radio through the built-in vTuner service, your Spotify Premium account through Spotify Connect on your Apple iOS or Android device; and your Pandora, TIDAL, Deezer, SiriusXM or Napster music account through Yamaha's MusicCast app.
- vTuner: You can listen to Internet radio stations using the vTuner Internet Radio Station database service particularly customized for this unit, providing a database of numerous radio stations around the world. You can search for Internet Radio stations by Location, Genre, New, Popular, or Podcast.
- Spotify Connect: With the Spotify app (premium account required) on your Apple iOS or Android smartphone, you've got instant access to millions of songs. And now you can stream those same songs from your smartphone to the Yamaha stereo receiver by using Spotify Connect; simply hit play on the app to start streaming music. What's more, when you've been listening to Spotify on your smartphone outside and come inside, the song immediately begins to stream to the receiver for uninterrupted music enjoyment. You can also personalize playlists and receive phone calls while listening to music.
- Pandora: Pandora is accessible through the Yamaha MusicCast app for Apple iOS & Android. Pandora is free, personalized radio that plays music and comedy you'll love. Just start with the name of one of your favorite artists, songs, comedians or composers and Pandora will create a custom station that plays similar tracks. You can also rate (thumbs up/thumbs down) songs as they play, and Pandora will adapt stations to your feedback. You can even bookmark stations and easily switch between favorites.
- Deezer: Deezer is accessible through the Yamaha MusicCast app for Apple iOS & Android. Deezer is an online music service offering over 43 million tracks starting at $9.99 a month. Discover the perfect playlist or make your own, as well as browse curated collections by genre.
- SiriusXM: SiriusXM Internet Radio is accessible through the Yamaha MusicCast app for Apple iOS & Android. SiriusXM lets you listen to over 120 channels of commercial-free music, talk radio, news, sports, entertainment, and more. Subscription fees will apply.
- Napster: Napster is accessible through the Yamaha MusicCast app for Apple iOS & Android. Napster is a streaming music subscription service (starting a $10 per month) that allows you to play the full-length songs you choose on demand from a collection of over 10 million songs, without ads and without having to purchase or download the music.
AM/FM Tuner: The Yamaha R-N602 network receiver features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, and preset tuning. The R-N602 lets you store up to 40 AM/FM station presets. This can be done manually or automatically (auto-preset tuning). You can set this receiver to automatically match FM broadcast frequencies in stereo, or convert the frequency to monaural for weaker stations. An indoor FM wire antenna and AM loop antenna are included with the receiver.
Firmware Updates: New firmware will be released for the purpose of additional features or product improvements. Firmware updates can be downloaded from the Yamaha website. If this unit is connected to the Internet, the receiver will indicate when a new firmware version is available and you can download the firmware via the network connection. Firmware updates normally take approximately 20 minutes or longer. Check Yamaha's Support Download Site for the most recent firmware updates.
USB Port: The Yamaha R-N602 receiver is equipped with a front-panel USB (type-A) port that allows you to enjoy a variety of music files stored on a USB mass storage class memory device; such as select Android smartphones (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only), portable MP3 players, or USB thumbdrives (not compatible with USB HDDs). Your USB mass storage class device must be formatted in FAT 16 or FAT32.You can use the receiver's front-panel display and remote control to navigate your stored music files on your connected USB memory device. USB portable audio players that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the receiver's USB port (5V/1A); even in standby mode. Compatible music files include:
- MP3 (up to 48 kHz)
- WMA (up to 48 kHz)
- AAC (up to 48 kHz)
- ALAC (up to 96 kHz)
- AIFF (up to 192 kHz)
- WAV (up to 192 kHz)
- FLAC (up to 192 kHz)
- DSD (2.8/5.6 MHz)
iPod/iPhone Integration: The network stereo receiver supports connection of your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad through its USB port or via AirPlay.
- AirPlay: AirPlay lets you stream your favorite songs directly from your Apple iOS (4.3.3+) device or from your iTunes (10.2.2+) library on your Windows PC or Mac computer to the stereo receiver, over your home's wireless network connection. From your Apple iOS device you are able to stream stored music on your device, downloaded music apps, and music on your iCloud to the stereo receiver. From your Windows or Mac you can stream your stored iTunes music library on your computer to the stereo receiver; you can even download Apple's free Remote App onto your compatible iOS device to browse and control playback functions of the the music stored in your iTunes music library on your computer that is being streamed to the stereo receiver. With AirPlay you also get to see song/artist information on the receiver's front-panel display.
- iPod/iPhone Direct: The USB (type-A) port on the front-panel provides convenient connection for your iPod/iPhone so you can listen to your stored music and music apps through the Yamaha network stereo receiver. The iPod/iPhone USB digital connection means that the digital audio signal from your iPod/iPhone is transmitted directly to the system, minimizing noise interference and allowing use of the receiver's DAC, not the DAC in your iPod/iPhone. This results in more precise sound reproduction. You can choose to control your Apple device from its own touchscreen/clickwheel or from the network receiver. Using the unit's front-panel display and included remote control, you can browse your iPod/iPhone's stored music content via Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Genre, or Composer. You can also control Repeat & Shuffle functions. Basic playback functions (such as Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track) for music apps can also be controlled by the network receiver's remote. Song/artist information from stored music and music apps on your iPod/iPhone will display on your connected the unit's front-panel display. Your iPod/iPhone's battery will be charged while connected to the receiver (max. 1A).
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: Using the Lightning- or Dock-cable that came with your Apple device to connect directly to the Yamaha network stereo receiver, iPod/iPhone compatibility is as follows (as of 11/3/2015):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Connector Type||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|USB||AirPlay||Bluetooth||Audio||Video||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Album Art||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The R-N602 is equipped with built-in Bluetooth (version 2.1+EDR w/ A2DP) which let you easily enjoy wireless audio playback of stored music and music apps from your smartphone, tablet, laptop, or computer through the receiver. In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the Yamaha receiver offers support of AAC. By supporting AAC, the receiver offers better audio performance of the music streamed from your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad. Song/artist information will be displayed on the front-panel of the receiver. You'll still use your Bluetooth-enabled device to control music playback.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Yamaha stereo receiver.
MusicCast Wireless Multiroom Streaming: This stereo receiver supports Yamaha's MusicCast multiroom audio eco-system, which allows you to wirelessly play back a wide variety of audio sources and content in multiple rooms of your home (additional MusicCast products sold separately). MusicCast works with your home's existing WiFi router and Yamaha's free MusicCast App for Apple iOS and Android devices. You'll be able to stream the receiver's tuner, analog inputs, digital inputs, Bluetooth, and network sources to other MusicCast products installed in your home. In addition, you'll be able to stream your MusicCast products' sources to the stereo receiver. MusicCast supports the following source content.
- Analog & Digital Sources: External devices connected to the receiver via optical/coax digital, analog, or USB can be played back over the MusicCast eco-system. *Multi-channel content (5.1ch/7.1ch) is down-mixed to 2-channel sound.
- Tuner & Online Music Services: MusicCast offers support for Pandora, Spotify Connect, SiriusXM, Napster & vTuner. Tidal & Deezer will be available through a firmware update scheduled for the late summer of 2017. The receiver's built-in AM/FM tuner is also supported.
- DLNA: MusicCast supports DLNA, allowing access to DLNA-compatible computers and network attached storage (NAS) devices. With support for WAV, FLAC, and AIFF (up to 192kHz/24-bit), ALAC (up to 96kHz/24-bit), and MP3, WMA, and AAC (up to 48kHz). Master room playback is at the native sampling rate and other rooms down-convert to 48kHz.
- Bluetooth: The receiver's Bluetooth source (SBC codec only) can be streamed to multiple MusicCast devices, so Bluetooth audio can be played in multiple rooms simultaneously. MusicCast devices can also stream out non-Bluetooth sources to most any Bluetooth speaker or headphones (regardless of manufacture), making it convenient to expand MusicCast to your existing audio products.
Note: This feature will require a firmware update.
MusicCast App: The free MusicCast app can be downloaded for Apple (iOS 7.1+) iPod/iPhone/iPad and Android (OS4.1+) smartphones/tablets. The MusicCast app puts control of your whole home listening experience in the palm of your hand from your Apple iOS or Android device. You'll be able to quickly select the room or rooms you want to listen to music in, select the source or sources you want to listen to, browse music content from your music library and online music services or Internet Radio, plus control music playback functions.
- Rooms: Choose which room or rooms you want to listen to music in. You can select a different source for each room, group certain rooms together for playback of the same source, or link all rooms together so the same source is played back throughout the house.
- Source Selection: From the app you can select which source or sources you want to listen to; choose from network-connected devices, select online music services, Internet Radio or Bluetooth. You can also select from the stereo receiver's digital, analog, and USB inputs.
- Zone Control: You can activate the receiver's Zone function from the app's settings menu. The MusicCast app will then allow you to select inputs and provide basic volume controls on secondary zones.
- Music Browsing: You can browse music libraries from your network-connected devices; like your smartphone, tablet, computer, or laptop. You can also browse music content from select online music services and search Internet Radio stations from the MusicCast app.
- Playback & Song/Artist Info: From the MusiCast app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device you get Volume Up/Down, Play/Pause, and Previous/Next Track; as well as song/artist information and album art.
- Favorites: Internet radio stations, content from select online music services, plus playlists and songs from your network-connected device's music library can be saved as "Favorites" for quick recall within the MusicCast app.
- Personalization & Customization: With the app's unique personalization features, you can choose from preloaded room images or change the color of buttons to represent each room in the home, or even take pictures of their own home and assign the images to each button. The content source buttons can also be customized to rename, remove or reorder selections for easier operation.
Note: Up to 32MusicCast devices and 10 groups can be controlled by the MusicCast app.
Alexa Compatible (Firmware Update Required): Alexa-enabled devices (including the Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, Tap and Echo Show) will soon be able to control key functions of a MusicCast system using voice commands. A firmware update (available sometime in October), will be available for download that allows key functions of MusicCast products to be controlled using your voice through Alexa-enabled devices (sold separately).
- Alexa Skill: The MusicCast skill for Alexa will allow you to power MusicCast products on and off, control basic playback functions, make selections from a playlist of favorite music, adjust the volume, and use the Link function for playback of multiple MusicCast products simultaneously.
- Echo Source Input: In addition or alternatively, an Echo device can be used as a music/audio source for a MusicCast system. All MusicCast devices offer a Bluetooth input. Just pair your Echo, Echo Dot or Echo Show with any MusicCast wireless speaker, sound bar or stereo receiver and the sound will play from the MusicCast device. Using the MusicCast app, you can then select the Bluetooth input and link multiple MusicCast devices for playback, allowing you to hear it throughout your home. Many MusicCast products also offer inputs which can be connected to Echo Dot via its line output, if a wired connection is preferred over Bluetooth. This requires using an optional analog audio cable (sold separately). Using the MusicCast app, you can select the wired input and link multiple MusicCast devices for playback, allowing you to hear sound from Echo Dot throughout your home.
Note: You will need an Alexa-enabled device (Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, Tap, or Echo Show - all sold separately) to operate certain functions of your MusicCast products via voice-command. The MusicCast components and the Alexa-enabled devices must be on the same network.
Front-Panel Display: The R-N602 network receiver features a front-panel display to indicate audio settings, source input, station identification, and song/artist information. You can adjust the brightness of the front-panel display. This unit does not offer an on-screen display.
IR Remote: The included IR remote control provides wireless operation of the network stereo receiver, network audio, and connected Yamaha components.
Gapless Playback: Many live and classical albums have no gaps in the music. Gapless playback ensures that there are no pauses between audio files. This provides playback with no interruptions, the way it was meant to be heard. Compatible with WAV, FLAC, AIFF, and ALAC music files via USB or DLNA.
ECO Mode: When the ECO Mode is enabled, you can reduce the receiver' power consumption by keeping the maximum volume, maximum output power, and front display's brightness low. ECO mode reduces power consumption by approximately 20%.
Timers: The receiver offers a programmable Sleep Timer and Auto Power Down function.
- Sleep Timer: The receiver's Sleep Timer function can be set turn the unit automatically off after 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
- Auto Power Down: If you don't operate the receiver or use the remote for an extended period of time, the unit will automatically go into standby mode (Auto Power Down function). The Auto Power Down feature is selectable from 2, 4, 8 or 12 hours.
The Yamaha R-N602 replaces these items
- 100 watts x 2
- 6 audio inputs (including phono)
- includes second zone remote
- 80 watts x 2
- music streaming from Internet services including Pandora®, vTuner, and Spotify® (subscription required); Apple AirPlay® streaming from compatible computers and portable devices such as an iPhone®
- USB input for digital connection of an iPhone, iPod®, or flash memory drive
32 questions already asked