About the Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A4A
Jam-packed with home theater excitement
Jam-packed with home theater excitement
This high-performance, vibration-damped receiver offers fantastic A/V processing, robust amplification, and exceptional room calibration. The AVENTAGE RX-A4A is also simple to operate, thanks to Yamaha's superb control app for your phone or tablet.
An "H-shaped" cross frame design adds additional stability to the chassis while reducing vibrations.
Ideal for a Dolby Atmos system
The seven-channel RX-A4A is ideal for powering a 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos or DTS:X™ system — that's the traditional five speakers and subwoofer configuration, plus a pair of upward-firing or in-ceiling speakers for overhead effects.
Going with five speakers in your home theater space? Use the other two channels of power to drive speakers in another part of the house, like the kitchen or a bedroom.
Advanced video processing for movies and more
Yamaha made sure the RX-A4A is compatible with the latest video technology. All seven of its HDMI inputs support 4K/60Hz content — perfect for high-quality sources like a 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player or an Apple TV.
Enjoy music from a variety of sources
You get plenty of options for playing music, too. Stream tunes from your phone or tablet through Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or Apple AirPlay 2. Or, use the built-in phono input to connect your turntable. You can even play high-resolution tracks from a USB thumb drive or networked computer.
As a bonus, the RX-A4A also supports wireless multi-room music playback when paired with additional MusicCast components.
Power and processing:
- 7-channel amplifier
- 110 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.06% THD, with 2 channels driven
- high slew rate design for clear, consistent performance across a wide frequency range
- Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding
- Dolby Atmos® and DTS:X™ processing for use with in-ceiling or "height" speakers for enveloping overhead sound effects
- Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization creates three-dimensional effects without height speakers
- Cinema DSP HD3 adds richness and depth to music and movie soundtracks
- Surround:AI™ technology analyzes your content and creates optimal surround effects in real time
- H-shaped cross frame adds additional stability to the chassis while reducing vibrations
- YPAO (Yamaha Parametric Room Acoustic Optimizer) automatic speaker calibration
- included microphone helps fine-tune your system to best match your room's acoustics
- R.S.C. (Reflected Sound Control) with multipoint measurement helps deliver smooth, well-balanced surround sound across different seating positions
Digital and streaming music options:
- built-in dual-band Wi-Fi for listening to music from a networked PC, free internet radio, and music services
- MusicCast wirelessly connects compatible Yamaha components together for seamless whole-home audio
- includes support for Pandora®, SiriusXM, and Spotify® (subscription required for some services)
- free MusicCast app offers easy Wi-Fi control, settings adjustments, and music selection and playback
- works with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant voice control devices
- Apple AirPlay 2 lets you stream directly from an iPhone® or iPad® and ask Siri to play Apple Music®
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music listening with smartphones, tablets, and compatible computers
- dual-room/dual-source output
- amp assign function lets you use the surround back speaker outputs in different configurations like bi-amping the front speakers, or for use in Zone 2
- using powered 2nd-room output allows 5.2-channel sound in main room
- cannot select different USB/Bluetooth/network sources for each zone
- Zone 2 stereo preamp outputs for use with an optional external amplifier
- HDMI 2.1 audio/video switching: 7 in, 3 out
- all HDMI connections support 8K/60Hz and 4K/120Hz video content
- HDCP 2.3 technology ensures compatibility with Ultra HD sources and TVs
- HDR-compatible for extended picture contrast and brightness with compatible TVs and HDR-encoded content
- supports HDR10, HDR10+, HLG, and Dolby Vision®
- gaming-optimized video processing technologies for a smooth, lag-free gaming experience
- Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) and Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM)
- supports ARC (Audio Return Channel) and eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel)
- eARC receives uncompressed surround sound signals including Dolby Atmos and DTS:X via the HDMI connection with your compatible TV
- digital audio inputs: 2 Toslink optical, 1 coaxial
- 3 analog stereo RCA audio inputs
- MM (moving magnet) phono input for connecting a turntable
- 7.2-channel RCA preamp outputs
- includes 2 line-level mono subwoofer outputs
- front-panel USB port for audio playback from USB flash drives
- outputs for 9 speakers (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R, Front Presence L/R)
- receiver can power a maximum of 7 channels at once
- full-sized front-panel headphone jack
Dimensions and other info:
- free MusicCast app lets you use your Apple® or Android™ device as a Wi-Fi remote
- handheld remote control included
- 17-3/16"W x 7-1/2"H x 18-1/16"D (10-5/8"H with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi antennas raised)
- weight: 35.7 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years (5 years with Yamaha account creation and model registration)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # RX-A4ABL
What's in the box:
Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A4A owner's manual
- 7.2ch AV receiver
- 6.5 AC power cord
- Remote control (RAV577)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- YPAO microphone
- Mic base/stand
- 2 WLAN/Bluetooth antennas (pre-installed)
- FM wire antenna
- AM loop antenna
- Quick Start Guide
- Warranty Information
- Product Registration
- Firmware Update note
- Spotify brochure
- "Worldwide Representatives Offices" sheet
- Safety brochure
Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A4A reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A4A
Features & specs
Network & Tuner Functions
Multiroom Audio/Video Playback
Aventage Series: Yamaha Aventage Series AV receivers are crafted with meticulous design and craftsmanship to deliver an exceptional audio and video experience. Aventage Series AV receivers bring studio grade sound and sophisticated video enhancements to your home with unparalleled attention to detail in design, engineering, and fabrication. Yamaha carefully thought out every electrical path, every part, every piece, and every material to maximize performance. The result is the ability to reproduce the most subtle details of high-resolution sound, so that you can enjoy a truly high-quality audio/video experience in your home.
- High Slew Rate Amplifier: The slew rate measures how quickly an amplifier can respond to a rapid change of input level, which contributes to delivering a precise signal transmission and is especially effective with high resolution audio signals. This newly designed circuit achieves both a high slew rate and stable signal transmission, allowing it to handle each audio signal with precision and accuracy.
- Symmetrical Layout: The highly logical and symmetrical internal layout of parts and totally renewed circuit boards are designed to keep the signal paths on each board as short as possible. This greatly improves signal to noise ratio and helps to achieve a wide, open sound stage.
- H-Shaped Cross Frame: The new H-cross frame improves rigidity of the receiver body and sound stability, allowing for clearer, sharper and more transparent reproduction. Also, the newly redesigned mechanical structure contributes to avoiding the transition of vibration from the transformer to the amplifier circuit. The result, is reduced noise and improved clarity.
- Anti-Resonance Technology: The newly designed Anti-Resonance Technology (A.R.T.) Wedge is a fifth foot at the front-and-center of the AV receiver's chassis base. Together with double bottom structure, it dampens much more vibrations from the power transformer, power transistors and heat sinks; as well as vibrations that might be caused by the sound from the speakers - providing dynamic sound and focused, accurate reproduction.
7-Channel Amplifier with Intelligent Assignment: The Yamaha Aventage RX-A4A AV receiver employs fully discrete power amplification for clean, dynamic sound. The RX-A4A's seven-channel amplifier section is rated at 110 watts (into 8-ohm, at 20-20kHz, with 0.06% THD, driving 2 channels). Intelligent Amp Assignment automatically assigns amplifier channels of the Yamaha AV receiver to certain speakers depending on what speaker layout has been selected and what content is being played back. You can connect up to nine speakers to the AV receiver and it will determine which seven speakers need amplification. You can choose from a variety of amplifier speaker layout configurations.
- 7.1ch or 5.1.2ch Surround: In this configuration, up to nine speakers (Front L/R, Front Presence L/R, Center, Surround L/R, & Surround Back L/R) can be connected to the AV receiver. When Cinema DSP 3D is on or a Dolby Atmos soundtrack is being played, the two Front Presence or Dolby Atmos speakers will be powered and not the two Surround Back speakers. When Cinema DSP 3D is off or Dolby Atmos is not playing, this situation is reversed and the Front Presence or Dolby Atmos speakers turn off while the Surround Back speakers are powered. Bi-amp and Zone 2 speakers are not available in this mode.
- Dolby Atmos (5.1.2ch) + Zone 2: In this setup, you can hook up a 5.1.2ch Dolby Atmos speaker system in the main room and a pair of speakers in Zone 2 to the receiver. When Zone 2 is off, all seven channels of your Dolby Atmos speaker system will be powered. However, when Zone 2 is turned on, power to the Front Height, Overhead, or Dolby Atmos speakers will be cut off and directed to the pair of speakers in Zone; limiting you to only 5.1ch surround in the main room. Bi-amp & Surround Back speakers are not available in this setup.
- 7.1ch + Zone 2: In this configuration, up to nine speakers (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R, and Zone 2) can be connected to the AV receiver. When Zone 2 is off, all seven channels will be used in the Main Zone. However, when Zone 2 is on, power to the two surround back channels will be directed to the two speakers in Zone 2 and the Main Zone will receive five channels of power. The same or different analog input sources/volume settings can be applied to both zones. Bi-amp, Front Presence, & Dolby Atmos speakers are not available in this mode.
- 5.1ch Bi-Amp: Up to five speakers (Front L/R, Center, & Surround L/R) can be connected to the AV receiver. The Surround Back amplifier channels of the AV receiver are reassigned to bi-amp the front speakers. A bi-amplification connection uses two amplifiers for one speaker. One amplifier is connected to the woofer section of a loudspeaker while the other is connected to the combined midrange and tweeter section. With this arrangement each amplifier operates over a limited frequency range, making its job easier. Zone 2, Front Presence, & Dolby Atmos speakers are not available in this mode.
Wireless Surround: You can combine this AV receiver with Yamaha's MusicCast 20 wireless streaming speakers (sold separately) and enjoy the convenience of creating a home theater with wireless rear speakers in a 5.1 channel system. What's more, you get stunningly realistic sound with a clean, clutter-free setup. You will need to download the MusicCast Controller app onto your Apple iOS or Android OS device for setup.
Note: Wireless Surround requires that the AV receiver and MusicCast 20 speakers be on the same wireless WiFi network.
YPAO Sound Optimization: This unit employs the YPAO (Yamaha Parametric Acoustic Optimizer), which automatically adjusts the output of the speakers based on placement, performance, and the room's acoustic characteristics. Yamaha's YPAO system uses a small microphone and sophisticated equalization to automatically set the best sound for any room, no matter where the speakers are. First it checks the speaker connections and phase of each speaker. Then it sends out tones which are captured by the microphone to analyze the room acoustics and sets a variety of parameters; such as the speaker size, the distance of the speakers, and even the volume level; until it achieves the best sound conditions for your room.
- R.S.C. (Reflected Sound Control) 3D Multipoint: The receiver employs R.S.C. (Reflected Sound Control) to correct early reflections for studio-quality surround sound. It also uses 3D Angle Measurements to provide automatic sound parameter optimization that maximizes the 3D soundfield effectiveness. Up to 8 listening position measurements are taken to optimize the surround effect for a broad area (you can store up to two speaker patterns).
- Precision 64-Bit EQ: 64-bit precision EQ calculation achieves the most natural room acoustics possible. Choose between 3 YPAO EQ modes - Natural (adjusts all speakers to a natural sound; useful when the flat setting sounds too bright), Flat (use when all the speakers in the system have similar sound characteristics), or Front (EQs the center and rear speakers to sound like the front; useful when your front speakers are better than the others in the system)
- DSP Effect Normalization: In addition, the receiver's YPAO Sound Optimization provides DSP Effect Normalization, which varies the Cinema DSP parameters according to the reflected sounds in the room.
- YPAO Volume: Human ears have less sensitivity to high and low frequencies, especially at lower volumes. YPAO Volume applies loudness EQ correction to automatically adjust high and low frequency levels as volume changes. Using the YPAO measurement results, EQ correction is optimized to your system settings and listening environment.
Note: You can also choose to manually adjust the AV receiver's speaker, crossover, & EQ settings.
32-Bit/384kHz SABRE ES9007ES DAC: Incorporating the SABRE ES9007S Premier Audio DAC (ES9007S) from ESS Technology to achieve an exceptional signal-to-noise ratio and up to 120 dB of dynamic range, the Yamaha RX-A4A AV receiver produces professional quality digital audio sound. With ESS patented 32-bit Hyperstream DAC architecture, the RX-A4A delivers spectacular music and music soundtracks with detail and accuracy.
Qualcomm QCS407 DSP with Surround:AI: The Yamaha RX-A4A employs a Qualcomm 64-bit high precision DSP (QSC407) with Surround:AI technology to deliver precision processing and precise surround sound for Dolby Atmos, DTS:X and other multichannel audio formats. Surround:AI is an artificial intelligence technology built into the receiver's Qualcomm 64-bit DSP that analyzes each scene of your entertainment content and creates an optimal surround effect to reproduce it with the greatest effect. In real time, Surround:AI instantaneously analyzes scenes by focusing on distinct sound elements such as dialog, background music, ambient sounds and sound effects, and automatically optimizes the surround effect. The effect is a compelling sense of realism beyond conventional sound field effects, giving you the best of every scene in an entertainment experience.
Compatible Digital Audio Formats: The AV receiver supports the following stereo & multichannel digital audio formats through its HDMI jacks and optical/coax digital inputs.
|Digital Audio Connector||Audio Signal Type||Audio Signal Format|
|High Definition Audio Bitstream|| |
Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD
|Bitstream||Dolby Digital, DTS, DTS-ES, DTS 96/24|
|PCM||2ch to 8ch (32-192kHz, 16/20/24-bit)|
|DSD||2ch to 6ch (2.8MHz, 1-bit)|
|Bitstream||Dolby Digital, DTS, DTS ES, DTS 96/24|
Optical: 2ch to 6ch, (32-96kHz, 16/20/24-bit)
Immersive Surround Sound: The Yamaha Aventage RX-A4A AV receiver goes beyond regular surround with the latest immersive surround sound formats from Dolby Atmos and DTS:X. The RX-A4A offers 7-channels of amplification with support for up to a 5.1.2ch home theater speaker setup.
- Dolby Atmos: The Yamaha AV receiver will enhance properly designed systems with Dolby Atmos where sound comes alive from all directions, including overhead, to fill the home theater with astonishing clarity, power, detail and depth. The RX-A4A has the processing power to run a more enveloping 5.1.2ch Dolby Atmos layout utilizing front-height, ceiling mounted, or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers (sold separately).
- Dolby Surround: Dolby Surround offers an enhanced cinema experience to your 2ch and multichannel movie soundtracks using your existing 5.1ch, 7.1ch or Dolby Atmos speaker setup. Dolby Surround enhances audio definition by improving the spatial dimension and overall audio definition of movie soundtracks. It does this by using four distinct surround zones that provide greater control over the exact placement of each detail in a movie sound track, so audio can be matched more accurately to the video on screen; this means more depth and greater realism for your movies. As a result, individual sounds are clearer and more distinct. It also improves the surround sound experience across the entire theater by widening the listening "sweet spot".
- Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization: Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization provides immersive audio without height-channel or overhead speakers, creating virtual height effects in a 5.1ch, 7.1ch or 2.1ch speaker arrangement. Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization applies carefully designed "height-cue" filters to the overhead audio components of your content's soundtrack before they are mixed into your loudspeakers to create the sensation of sound above you.
- DTS:X: DTS:X is the next generation object-based, multi-dimensional audio technology from DTS. Unbound from channels, DTS:X conveys the fluid movement of sound to create an incredibly rich, realistic and immersive soundscape - in front of, behind, beside and above the audience - more accurately than ever before. DTS:X offers the ability to automatically adapt the audio to the speaker layout that best fits your space.
- Neural:X: DTS:X incorporates Neural:X, the latest spatial remapping technology from DTS, which provides a fully immersive output for all types of source content; this includes DTS bitstreams and non-encoded (PCM) data. Neural:X delivers a thrilling sense of immersive sound to your speaker layout regardless of the original source format.
- DTS Neo:6: DTS Neo:6 is an advanced matrix decoder that takes any two-channel source (including television broadcasts, CDs and DVDs) and expands it into five or six channels. It also provides separate, optimized modes for stereo music materials and matrix surround motion picture soundtracks. DTS Neo:6 brings you a more revealing sound from ordinary stereo and a more expansive home cinema experience.
Cinema DSP HD3: Cinema DSP HD3 is Yamaha's flagship 3D soundfield playback technology which was created by combining actual measured soundfield data with cutting edge digital signal processing technology. The revamped CINEMA DSP HD3 features new signal processing algorithms and maximizes theater sound effects, accurately reproducing a new dimension of realism for a sound field with a rich sense of presence and no feeling of boundaries. Yamaha's Cinema DSP HD3 lets you enjoy your movies and music even more in your home; regardless if you are using 5.1 speaker setup, only have a two-channel speaker system, or listening through headphones. CINEMA DSP HD3 is capable of up to 11.1 channel virtuall surorund sound with only a 7.1-channel speaker configuration. You can also select from following Cinema DSP HD3 modes based on your speaker setup.
- Virtural Presense Speaker: The actually measured soundfield data in these Cinema DSP 3D programs contain height information. Virtural Presense Speaker mode achieves reproduction of this height information so that it can create the accurate and intensive stereoscopic soundfield in your listening room. With the power of Cinema DSP 3D technology and the Virtual Presence Speaker (VPS) mode, the receiver virtually reproduces the height of the 3D soundfield without actually having front presence speakers.
- Virtual Cinema DSP: Virtual Cinema DSP is an algorithm that allows you to enjoy DSP soundfield surround effects while using a minimal two-speaker system. Virtual Cinema DSP lets you enjoy the effects of Cinema DSP surround sound without using surround speakers (handy for use in custom installations where some rooms don't have surround speakers). It can be used with the front/center speakers or even with just the two front left and right speakers. This unit will switch to virtual Cinema DSP mode automatically when surround speakers are unavailable.
- Virtual Cinema Front: With Virtual Cinema Front, you will enjoy virtual 5-channel surround sound with higher quality and resolution by installing surround speakers at the front. You get more flexibility to arrange your speakers inside the room, along with easy enjoyment of high quality surround sound.
- Silent Cinema: Silent Cinema makes it possible to hear large-scale surround sound through ordinary headphones. This is a variation of Cinema DSP technology that Yamaha developed to let you listen in private to movies and other multi-channel sources for hours without listening fatigue.
Note: The AV receiver offers 24 Cinema DSP 3D programs for movies, music, and games. Select from Standard, Spectacle, Sci-Fi, Adventure, Drama, Mono Movie, Enhanced (3D object audio), Hall Munich, Hall in Vienna, Hall in Amsterdam, Church in Freiburg, Church in Royaumont, Chamber, Village Vanguard, Warehouse Loft, Cellar club, The Roxy Theater, The Bottom Line, 7ch Stereo, Sports, Action Game, Role Playing Game, Music Video, and Recital/Opera.
HiFi Sound Modes: The Yamaha Aventage RX-A4A offers two HiFi audio modes which bypass the receiver's tone & DSP processing for higher sound quality performance. These HiFi sound modes lets you play back input sources without any soundfield effect processing. When either of these modes is enabled, each speaker produces its own channel audio signal (without soundfield processing). When playing back 2-channel sources, such as a CD player, stereo sound is heard from the front speakers. When playing back multichannel sources, the receiver produces unprocessed multichannel surround sound.
- Straight: 2-channel stereo sources are output from only the front left and right speakers, while multi-channel sources are decoded straight into the appropriate channels without any additional tone or DSP processing.
- Direct: Turns off the surround and tone circuitry, as well as deactivates the front-panel and on-screen display, allowing sources to bypass the decoders, DSP processors, and video circuitry of this unit so you can enjoy pure hi-fi sound from 2-channel or multi-channel sources.
Audio Enhancements: The Yamaha Aventage RX-A4A offers unique audio enhancements to bring you more enjoyment from your movie and music soundtracks by restoring compressed music sound, actively configuring the receiver's dynamic range, and increasing dialog level.
- Compressed Music Enhancer: When music is encoded into a digitally compressed format like MP3, the frequency response suffers. The Yamaha Compressed Music Enhancer employs sophisticated digital signal processing using exclusive algorithms to restore what was lost, so the music always sounds the way it should.
- Adaptive DRC: Adaptive DRC automatically adjusts the dynamic range of the sound according to the volume level. This ensures that you hear clear dialog, vocals, and all sound effects at comfortable levels. There is no need to adjust the volume level as you listen; everything from whispers to big explosions will be heard clearly and comfortably at the same volume setting. It also tones down loud TV commercials and is ideal for low-volume, late-night listening when you do not want to disturb others.
- Dialogue Level & Lift: Dialogue Level Adjustment lets you control the volume of the vocal sound, so you hear movie dialog and music vocals at the ideal level for clear, comfortable listening. Dialogue Lift adjust the perceived height of dialogue sounds. If the dialogue sounds as if it in coming from below the TV screen, you can raise its perceived height by increasing this setting.
Bass Management: The Yamaha Aventage RX-A4A AV receiver provides the following Bass Management settings.
- Bass & Treble: You can adjust the balance of the high-frequency range (Treble) and low-frequency range (Bass) of sounds output from the receiver' front left and right speakers to obtain a desired tone. You can independently adjust the bass (50Hz) and treble (20kHz) from -6dB to +6dB in 0.5 dB increments. The tone control of the speakers or headphones can be set separately.
- Extra Bass: You can select whether to play front channel low-frequencies through either the front speakers or the subwoofer, or through both the subwoofer and front speakers.
- Subwoofer Trim: The Subwoofer Trim control enhances the low frequencies by avoiding overlap with the front speaker output. This will result in a cleaner, more focused sound stage while providing a seamless frequency response. When subwoofer frequency overlap occurs in conventional systems, the overall sound is "pushed" toward the subwoofer. Subwoofer Trim takes care of this by separating the low subwoofer frequencies cleanly, thus stabilizing the front stage while providing a well-balanced enhanced bass sound.
Volume Setup: The Yamaha Aventage RX-A4A allows you to customize the receiver's volume levels.
- Volume Scale: You can choose to display the "Relative" volume scale (-80 to +16dB) or an "Absolute" volume scale (0 to 97).
- Max Volume Adjustment: Use this feature to set the receiver's maximum volume level (the main Zone and Zone 2 can be set independently). This feature is useful to avoid turning the volume too loud by mistake. You can set the Max Volume from -30dB to +15dB in 5dB steps, or to +16.5dB (full volume range is -80dB to +16.5 dB).
- Initial Volume Setting: Use this feature to set the volume level when the receiver's power is turned on (the main Zone and Zone 2 can be set independently). You can choose between Off (same as the volume when the unit was turned off), Mute, and -80dB to + 16.5dB in increments of 0.5dB.
- Volume Trim: Use this feature to adjust the volume level of each input. This is useful to balance the level of each input to avoid sudden changes in volume when switching between input sources. The range is from -6dB to +6dB in 0.5dB increments.
eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel): This feature of the AV receiver's main HDMI monitor output allows audio to be sent from your compatible TV to the receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your TV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television. eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel) will support uncompressed audio formats like Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, & DTS HD Master Audio - where as the previous ARC (Audio Return Channel) was limited to only Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, DTS HD, and PCM.
Note: Supported content will be dependent on whether your TV features a HDMI eARC or ARC jack
Audio Outputs: The Yamaha RX-A4A AV receiver is fitted with binding-post speaker terminals and 7.2ch RCA pre-outs, along with a front-panel headphone jack.
- Speaker Terminals: The receiver has binding post terminals for all speaker outputs. The binding posts can accept bare wire, pin connectors, and single banana plugs. These terminals are spaced too far apart for dual banana plugs and a collar surrounding them prevents the use of spade connectors. You can select 8 ohms or 6 ohms in the menu depending on your speaker application. The amplifier supports 4- to 8-ohm Front speakers, and 6- to 8-ohm Center and Surround speakers.
- 7.2ch Pre-Out: The AV receiver features 7.2-channel pre-outs (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R, and Dual Subs) for connection to external power amplifiers. The pre-outs are variable. The dual sub outputs are wired in parallel and output the same signal (they are not discrete).
- Headphone Jack: The Yamaha Aventage RX-A4A is equipped with a front-panel 1/4" headphone jack for connecting a set of headphones, so you can listen to your music privately. Connecting a set of headphones automatically mutes the receiver's speaker outputs. Sound effects applied during playback can also be heard through the headphones.
Phono Input: The Yamaha Aventage RX-A4A AV receiver features a dedicated Phono (MM) input for connecting your turntable and listening to your vinyl records.
HDMI 2.1: The Yamaha Aventage RX-A4A AV receiver is outfitted with seven HDMI 2.1 inputs and three HDMI 2.1 outputs that support the latest HDMI standards; such as 4K/120Hz and 8K/60Hz video (40Gbps), HDCP 2.3, 4:4:4 color subsampling, HDR (High Dynamic Range), and Wide Color Gamut (BT.2020) for full support of today's video content from Ultra HD Blu-ray, online video services (like Amazon & Netflix), and future TV broadcast services.
- 4K/120Hz + 8K/60Hz (40Gbps): All of the RX-A4A's HDMI inputs and HDMI outputs will support up to 4K (3840x2160) video @ 120 frames per second and 40Gbps bandwidth, as well as 8K (7680x4320) @ 60 frames per second and 40Gbps bandwidth. 4K/120Hz enables ultra-fast motion UHD images to be crisp and razor sharp; allowing sports, action movies, high-performance gaming and VR to benefit significantly. 8K delivers a super-immersive viewing experience with 2-times the horizontal and vertical resolution of 4K, and 4x as many pixels; and combined with 60Hz refresh rate enables smooth and sharp viewing of content with high-speed action. All of the receiver's HDMI inputs and outputs also support 4K/60Hz, 1080p/i, 720p/i, and 480p video signals.
- HDCP 2.3: All of the Yamaha RX-A4A receiver's HDMI jacks support HDCP 2.3, which fully complies with the latest copyright protection standard for 4K video transmission.
- 4:4:4 Color Subsampling: The receiver also supports RGB, YCbCr 4:4:4, YCbCr 4:2:2, and YCbCr 4:2:0 color subsampling (@ 60Hz or 50Hz). With 4:4:4 color subsampling, luminance (brightness) and chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate; resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail.
- Wide Color Gamut (BT.2020): The BT.2020 color standard delivers a much wider color gamut and represents about 75% of the total visual color spectrum, while the current Rec. 709 color standard selected as the color space for HDTVs and early generation 4K Ultra HDTVs covers only 35% of the total visual color spectrum.
Note: There are no analog composite or component video inputs/outputs.
HDMI Video Upscaling (up to 8K): The Yamaha AV receiver's video processor provides upscaling of 1080p HDMI video sources to 4K (3840x2160) or 8K (7680x4320). Only the receiver's main HDMI output is capable of video upscaling; the sub HDMI and Zone 2 HDMI output do not support video upscaling.
Three HDMI Outputs: With three HDMI output terminals, you can watch the same HDMI video source on three separate displays; or watch the same a HDMI video source on two displays, while watching a different HDMI video source on a third display in Zone 2. The AV receiver outputs video signals at the highest resolution supported by all TVs (or projectors) connected to the unit (up to 8K). For example, if you have connected a 4K TV to the HDMI Monitor out, a 1080p TV to the HDMI Sub out, and a 720p TV to the HDMI Zone 2 Out, the receiver will output a 720p video signal.
HDR (High Dynamic Range): The Yamaha Aventage RX-A4A supports HDR (high dynamic range) Video - including HDR 10, Dolby Vision, and Hybrid Log-Gamma; plus HDR10+. HDR (High Dynamic Range Video) provides enhanced picture quality by simultaneously enabling greater detail for both the dark and bright parts of an image. HDR reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, creating greater contrast. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth.
- HDR 10: HDR 10 is an open standard and currently the most popular HDR format on the market. It uses static metadata at the start of a movie to tell the receiver and your TV that the video content is encoded using HDR.
- HDR10+: HDR10+ greatly improves dynamic range (the ratio of light to dark) of video content on a scene-by-scene (or even frame-by-frame) basis. Also, using frame-by-frame metadata, it improves the scene characteristics between bright and dark so that important detail can remain. This enables displays to reproduce images more realistically, adhering to the creator's intent.
- Hybrid-Log Gamma: HLG (Hybrid-Log Gamma) is primarily designed for live video feed and over-the-air broadcasts. It uses no pre-encoded metadata and is backwards compatible with SDR. HLG's native compatibility allows much of today's existing SDR infrastructure to be re-used for HDR in the future.
- Dolby Vision: Unlike HDR 10 which contains static metadata and HLG which uses no metadata, Dolby Vision uses dynamic metadata technology which sets individual color and brightness levels for each and every scene. Dolby works directly with filmmakers at major Hollywood studios to create superior HDR video masters of blockbuster movies.
Enhanced Media & Gaming Features: Enhanced media and gaming features ensure an added level of smooth and seamless motion and transitions for gaming, movies and video. They include: Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM), which enables the ideal latency setting to automatically be set allowing for smooth, lag-free and uninterrupted viewing and interactivity; Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) reduces or eliminates lag, stutter and frame tearing for more fluid and detailed gameplay; Quick Media Switching (QMS) for movies and video eliminates the delay that can result in blank frames before content is displayed; and Quick Frame Transport (QFT), which reduces latency for smoother, no-lag gaming and real-time interactive virtual reality.
- Variable Refresh Rate (VRR): Support for Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) allows the TV to adapt to certain Game console's frame rate. This helps to reduce or eliminate lag, stutter and frame tearing for more fluid and better detailed gameplay.
- Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM): The receiver will enter ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode) when it detects a gaming signal from a compatible device (such as a Xbox One) and allows for a smooth, lag-free gaming experience. During ALLM, the receiver disables the i/p scaler and Auto Lip Sync function.
- Quick Media Switching (QMS): This new HDMI feature called Quick Media Switching (QMS) allows a HDMI video source to instantly switch the resolution or frame rate to eliminate screen blackout.
- Quick Frame Transport (QFT): Quick Frame Transport (QFT) transmits each frame at a higher rate to decrease "display latency", which is the amount of time between a frame being ready for transmission in the GPU and that frame being completely displayed. Enjoy reduced latency for smoother, tear-free entertainment experience.
Note: A future firmware update (no ETA) is required for Quick Media Switching (QMS) and Quick Frame Transport (QFT).
Other HDMI Features: The Yamaha Aventage RX-A4A AV receiver's HDMI connectivity also offers 3D video pass-through, Deep Color & x.v.Color support, as well as an auto LipSync function and Standby Through Mode.
- 3D Ready: The Yamaha Aventage RX-A4A AV receiver supports 3D video pass-through (720p/1080p only) from connected 3D-compatible Blu-ray, games and broadcast devices to 3D-compatible HDTVs (all 3D components must be connected via HDMI). Special eyewear will be required for viewing 3D content.
- Deep Color & x.v.Color Support: The AV receiver supports Deep Color and x.v.Color content, which can display a larger color range than standard-definition schemes. The result is a more lifelike, vibrant picture
- LipSync: This function adjusts the delay between audio and video output. You can do this manually or have the receiver set the LipSync function automatically. When connected to a TV via HDMI the receiver automatically adjusts audio output timing (0-500ms) if the TV supports an automatic LipSync function. You can also manually delay the sound output up to 500ms to synchronize it with the video image.
- Standby Through Mode: When the RX-A4A is in standby mode (power off), the Standby Through feature allows HDMI source signals to pass through the receiver to the TV. The HDMI input can be changed using the remote control. So, there's no need to turn on the AV receiver in order to switch HDMI sources.
Background Audio/Video: The Background Video feature allows you to watch a video source while listening to a different audio source. With the RX-A4A, you can select any HDMI video source input and listen to audio from any of the receiver's audio sources (including AM/FM tuner, Phono, USB, Network, or Bluetooth).
Network & Tuner Functions
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Yamaha Aventage RX-A4A offers a wired (Ethernet) or wireless (WiFi) network connection to your home's network router. Either network connection gives the receiver access to DLNA music servers, AirPlay, MusicCast, and various online music services.
- Ethernet Jack: The Yamaha AV receiver is fitted with a RJ-45 Ethernet (LAN) port to connect the receiver to your home network. The Ethernet port provides the most reliable connection.
- Built-in WiFi: The AV receivers offers built-in dual-band (2.4 + 5GHz) WiFi (IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac) for a wireless network connection; WPS, WEP, WPA-PSK (TKIP), WPA-PSK (AES), WPA2-PSK (AES) security protection is supported. Wireless network setup can be done via WPS button, Access Point Scan, Manual Setting, PIN Code, or even through your Apple iOS device (7.0+).
Note: Network setup requires that the receiver be connected to your TV via HDMI for display of the on-screen menu. The receiver's network setup cannot be accessed through its front-panel display.
Online Music Services: The Yamaha Aventage RX-A4A offers access to Internet Radio through built-in Airable by TuneIn; your Spotify account through Spotify Connect on your Apple iOS or Android device; and your Pandora, TIDAL, Amazon HD, SiriusXM, Qobuz, Napster, or Deezer music account through Yamaha's MusicCast Controller app.
- Airable by TuneIn: You can listen to Internet radio stations using Airable by TuneIn. Search worldwide internet radio content by Genre, Language, Location, Quality, Popularity, or do a keyword search.
- Spotify Connect: Anyone with a Spotify account (whether free or premium) can enjoy the wireless freedom of streaming the Spotify app (for Apple iOS or Android) to the MusicCast-enabled device. All files on Spotify can stream up to 320kbps, which is MP3 quality.
- Pandora: Pandora is accessible through the Yamaha MusicCast Controller app for Apple iOS & Android. Pandora is personalized radio that plays music and comedy you'll love. Just start with the name of one of your favorite artists, songs, comedians or composers and Pandora will create a custom station that plays similar tracks. You can also rate (thumbs up/thumbs down) songs as they play, and Pandora will adapt stations to your feedback. You can even bookmark stations and easily switch between favorites.
- TIDAL: Tidal is accessible through the Yamaha MusicCast Controller app for Apple iOS & Android. TIDAL is a global streaming service that offers over 30 million songs in high-fidelity CD sound quality. TIDAL has two pricing tiers; either $9.99 or $19.99 a month. Both pricing levels allow you to access TIDAL's entire music library. The $19.99 tier has the added benefit of high-fidelity sound at CD-level quality.
- Amazon: Amazon Music can now be accessed through Yamaha MusicCast. Enjoy Amazon Prime or Amazon Unlimited (including Amazon HD). Amazon Prime gives you access to 100 million songs in compressed SD quality with an Amazon Prime prime membership, while Amazon Unlimited (includes Amazon HD) gives you access to 100 million songs in lossless HD quality with with a $9.99 per month subscription.
- SiriusXM: SiriusXM Internet Radio is accessible through the Yamaha MusicCast Controller app and lets you listen to over 120 channels of commercial-free music, talk radio, news, sports, entertainment, and more. Subscription fees will apply.
- Qobuz: Qobuz offers the biggest catalog of Hi-Fi and Hi-Res albums in the world, both for new releases and specialized genres. For hundreds of thousands of albums, Qobuz includes all the information you need to recreate the appeal of a real CD - the names of musicians, producers, lyrics (everything you need to know to appreciate your favorite albums). Qobuz offers MP3, CD, and Hi-Res quality subscriptions.
- Napster: Napster is also accessible through the Yamaha MusicCast Controller app. This streaming music subscription service (starting a $10 per month) allows you to play the full-length songs you choose on demand from a collection of over 10 million songs, without ads and without having to purchase or download the music.
- Deezer: Deezer is an online music service offering over 43 million tracks starting at $9.99 a month and is accessible through the Yamaha MusicCast Controller app. Discover the perfect playlist or make your own, as well as browse curated collections by genre.
DLNA Certified: The RX-A4A is DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5 and Windows 7/8/10 compliant for audio networking. This means it's easier for you to access and enjoy digital music stored on your PC over your home network. You can use your PC to play high-bit rate music content through your audio system, or use the RX-A4A to browse and play music files on your hard drive. You can control playback of your streamed audio files from the AV receiver's remote control. The receiver also supports ID3-Tag and META tag information so song title, artist name, and album name can be displayed from the unit's on-screen menu (via HDMI).
- The AV receiver supports the following DLNA music servers - (1) PC with Windows Media Player 11 or later installed, (2) PC with DLNA/UPnP Certificate server software installed, (3) NAS with DLNA/UPnP certification.
- Supported music files include - WAV/FLAC/AIFF (up to 192kHz/24-bit), ALAC (up to 96kHz/24-bit), MP3/WMA/AAC (up to 48kHz/320kbps), and DSD (2.8/5.6MHz).
AM/FM Tuner: The Yamaha Aventage RX-A4A AV receiver features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, and preset tuning. The RX-A4A lets you store up to 40 AM/FM station presets. This can be done manually or automatically (auto-preset tuning). You can set this receiver to automatically match FM broadcast frequencies in stereo, or convert the frequency to monaural for weaker stations. An indoor FM wire antenna and AM loop antenna are included with the receiver.
AirPlay 2 with Siri: AirPlay 2 is an advanced and easy-to-use wireless multiroom audio platform for iTunes, Apple Music, and other compatible Apple iOS apps. With AirPlay 2 you can play any audio from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 11.4 or later) or Mac computer (running OS X 10.13.2) on the AV receiver and other compatible AirPlay 2 speakers throughout your home. You can choose to play audio in one room, play the same audio in grouped rooms, or play the same audio in every room. If you are an Apple Music subscriber, you can even play different music in different rooms (you can control and group directly from Apple's Music App and Home app on your Apple iOS device). You'll be able to ask Siri-enabled devices (like your Apple iPhone, iPad, or Watch) to control playback of your Apple Music content on the AV receiver. With AirPlay 2, you also get to see song/artist information and album art via the receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI). You can even watch videos and movies from YouTube and Netflix on your compatible Apple iOS device or Mac computer with perfectly synced audio on the AV receiver.
Built-in Bluetooth: The Yamaha AV receiver is equipped with built-in Bluetooth (version 4.2) for wireless communication between Bluetooth-enabled audio source devices, headphones, and speakers. The AV receiver can act as a Bluetooth receiver in order to wirelessly stream music from an audio device, or a Bluetooth transmitter in order to wirelessly stream music to a set of BT-enabled headphones/speakers.
- Bluetooth Receiver: The Yamaha AV receiver incorporates Bluetooth A2DP & AVRCP, so you can wirelessly stream stored music & music apps from a Bluetooth-enabled device; like your Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, Windows Phone/PC, or Mac computer/laptop to the AV receiver. In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the receiver offers support of AAC. By supporting AAC, the receiver offers better audio performance of music streamed from your Apple iPod/Phone/iPad. Song/artist information will be displayed on your HDMI connected TV's screen and the front-panel of the receiver. You'll you be able to control basic playback functions, like Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track from the receiver's remote; advance music browsing still has to be done from your Bluetooth source device.
- Bluetooth Transmitter: The AV receiver can also act as a Bluetooth transmitter and stream its non-Bluetooth audio sources (HDMI, Network, USB, Analog, Optical/Coax Digital, & AM/FM tuner) out to most any Bluetooth headphone or speaker. You can only pair and stream audio to one Bluetooth headphone or speaker at a time. You can even have the same source playing from the main speakers and a Bluetooth speaker/headphone simultaneously (there is a slight audio delay). Volume control of the Bluetooth speaker/headphone will be controlled via the Bluetooth device and not the receiver.
- Bluetooth, AirPlay and DSD source content is not supported in Bluetooth Transmitter mode.
- Sound cannot be transmitted to Bluetooth devices that do not support SCMS-T standard..
USB Port: This AV receiver is equipped with a front-panel USB (type-A) port that allows you to enjoy a variety of music files stored on a USB mass storage class memory device, such as a USB thumbdrive or portable digital audio player (not compatible with USB HDDs). Your USB mass storage class device must be formatted in FAT 16 or FAT32. You can use the receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI) and remote control to navigate your stored music files on your connected USB memory device. USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the AV receiver's USB port (5V/1A); even in standby mode. Compatible music files include:
- DSD (2.8/5.6/11.2 MHz)
- AIFF/FLAC/WAV (up to 192kHz/24-bit)
- ALAC (up to 96kHz/24-bit)
- MP3/WMA/AAC (up to 48kHz/320kpbs)
Note: The receiver's USB port does not support Apple iOS and Android OS devices
Multiroom Audio/Video Playback
HDMI Zone 2 (Audio/Video): The HDMI Zone 2 output lets you enjoy the same or two different audio/video feeds on two different displays at the same time directly from the AV receiver (up to 8K). HDMI Zone 2 is limited to only HDMI audio/video sources and does not support video upscaling. HDMI Zone 2 also supports 2ch PCM audio and will down-mix multichannel audio to 2ch (stereo). There is also a HDMI Sub output that lets you watch and listen to the same HDMI video source in two rooms (does not support different sources). You can select the following input sources for Zone 2.
- Compatibility: Only HDMI input connected audio/video sources can be played back in HDMI Zone 2.
- Incompatibility: Incompatible sources include - analog audio/video inputs, optical/coaxial digital audio inputs, Bluetooth & USB audio, Network & Internet content, plus AM/FM tuner.
Notes: The AV receiver outputs video signals at the highest resolution supported by all TVs (or projectors) connected to the unit. For example, if you have connected a 4K TV to the HDMI Monitor out, a 1080p TV to the HDMI Sub out, and a 720p TV to the HDMI Zone 2 Out, the receiver will output a 720p video signal.
Zone 2 (Speaker-Level/Line-Level): The receiver's Zone 2 outputs allow you to play the same or different audio/video sources in another room of your home. The receiver has dedicated stereo preamp outputs (requires separate amps) for Zone 2, or the built-in amplifier can power speakers in the second zone connected to the Extra Speaker terminals. If the Zone 2 speakers are powered by the receiver, when Zone 2 is turned on, the receiver's Presence speakers in the main room are turned off. The volume of Zone 2 can be controlled by the Yamaha receiver using either configuration or from your add-on integrated amplifier when using the line-output. You can select the following input sources for Zone 2.
- Compatible Sources:
- Analog audio
- HDMI 2Ch PCM Audio
- Optical/Coaxial Digital Audio Inputs (2ch PCM only)
- USB, AirPlay, & Bluetooth
- AM/FM Tuner, Internet Radio, & MusicCast music apps
- DLNA & Network Content
- Incompatible Sources:
- HDMI Video
- You cannot select different AM/FM radio stations for each zone
Note: You cannot select Bluetooth, USB and Network (MusicCast/Internet Radio/DLNA/AirPlay) sources exclusively for each zone. For example, if you select "NET" for Zone 2 when "USB" is selected for the main zone, the input source for the main zone also switches to "NET".
Party Mode (Main Zone Sync): The Party Mode (or Main Zone Sync) allows you to enjoy the AV receiver's Main Zone audio source in Zone 2 at the same time, regardless of input audio signal types (analog, digital or wireless). During the Party Mode, stereo playback is automatically selected for all zones (multichannel sources are mixed down to 2 channels). The Main Zone & Zone 2's volume can be adjusted independently. Utilize this function when you want to play back the same audio source in two rooms of your home.
MusicCast Wireless Multiroom Audio Streaming: This AV receiver supports Yamaha's MusicCast multiroom audio eco-system, which allows you to wirelessly play back a wide variety of audio sources and content in multiple rooms of your home (additional MusicCast products sold separately). MusicCast works with your home's existing WiFi router and Yamaha's free MusicCast Controller app for Apple iOS 10.0+ and Android OS 5.0+. You'll be able to stream the receiver's tuner, inputs, Bluetooth, and network sources to other MusicCast products installed in your home. In addition, you'll be able to stream your MusicCast products' sources to the AV receiver. MusicCast supports the following source content.
- Analog & Digital Sources: The receiver's HDMI, optical/coaxial digital, and analog input sources can be played back over the MusicCast eco-system. Multi-channel content (5.1ch/7.1ch) is down-mixed to 2-channel sound for playback in other rooms without affecting the master room.
- Hi-Res Audio (via USB or DLNA): MusicCast supports Hi-Res audio via USB or DLNA. The MusicCast system is compatible with Apple Lossless (ALAC) up to 96kHz/24-bit, as well as FLAC and WAV music files up to 192kHz/24-bit. It also supports lower resolution music files like MP3, WMA, and AAC up to 48kHz. When multiple MusicCast devices are "linked" for multiroom audio playback, the Master room device's playback is at the native sampling rate (up to 192kHz/24-bit), while the other rooms and MusicCast devices down-converted to 48kHz.
- Online Music Services & Tuner: MusicCast offers support for Amazon Music, Pandora, Spotify Connect, Tidal, Deezer, SiriusXM, Napster Amazon Music & Airable by TuneIn. In addition the receiver's AM/FM tuner can be distributed across multiple MusicCast speakers.
- Bluetooth: The receiver's Bluetooth source (SBC codec only) can be streamed to multiple MusicCast devices, so Bluetooth audio can be played in multiple rooms simultaneously.
- Up to 32 MusicCast devices and 10 groups can be connected to your home's wireless network (802.11 b/g/n/ac; 2.4 or 5GHz).
- If you want to install a MusicCast device to a location that is out of range of your wireless router, connect another MusicCast device to the router with a network cable to extend the range ("Extend Mode")
Remote Control: The receiver comes with an IR remote control for wireless operation of this receiver and other HDMI-connected sources (via HDMI CEC). This newly designed remote control features large buttons for enhanced ease of use. The IR remote offers two unique remote ID codes (ID1/ID2). When using multiple Yamaha AV receivers, set the unique remote control ID for its corresponding receiver.
HDMI-CEC (Consumer Electronics Control): The Yamaha AV receiver supports HDMI-CEC, which synchronizes the operation of this unit with other HDMI-CEC devices when connected via HDMI. When the AV receiver is connected to a HDMI-CEC compatible TV, they will turn ON/OFF together and you can use the TV remote to control the volume of the receiver. HDMI-CEC also provides playback functionality with other components, such as your Blu-ray player. For example, you can use the receiver's remote control to operate player functions like Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next Track, or Stop.
Note: Not all HDMI-CEC compatible components and functions are guaranteed to work.
MusicCast Controller App: The free MusicCast Controller app (for Apple iOS 10.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) allows you to control the AV receiver and the rest of your MusicCast multiroom audio system from your compatible Apple iOS or Android device. You'll be able to control basic receiver functions such as power on/off and volume up/down from the MusicCast Controller app. You'll also have the ability to quickly select the room or rooms you want to listen to music in, select the source or sources you want to listen to, browse music content from your music library and online music services or Internet Radio, plus control music playback functions.
- Receiver: The MusicCast app provides the flexibility to control input, volume, mute and power commands from your compatible Apple iOS or Android device. You can use the app to adjust DSP soundfields & parameters to your preference to match the type of music/movie or the mood you want to achieve.
- Rooms: Choose which room or rooms you want to listen to music in. You can select a different source for each room, group certain rooms together for playback of the same source, or link all rooms together so the same source is played back throughout the house.
- Source Selection: From the app you can select which source or sources you want to listen to; choose from network-connected devices, select online music services, Internet Radio, Bluetooth; as well as analog & digital inputs - including HDMI & USB.
- Music Browsing: You can browse music libraries from your network-connected devices; like your smartphone, tablet, computer, or laptop. You can also browse music content from select online music services and search Internet Radio stations from the MusicCast Controller app. You can also browse music files on your USB-connected thumbdrive.
- Playback & Song/Artist Info: From the MusicCast Controller app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device you get Volume Up/Down, Play/Pause, and Previous/Next Track; as well as song/artist information and album art.
- Favorites: Internet radio stations, content from select online music services, plus playlists and songs from your network-connected device's music library can be saved as "Favorites" for quick recall within the MusicCast Controller app.
- Personalization & Customization: With the app's unique personalization features, you can choose from preloaded room images or change the color of buttons to represent each room in the home, or even take pictures of their own home and assign the images to each button. The content source buttons can also be customized to rename, remove or reorder selections for easier operation.
Note: Yamaha's earlier AV Controller app is not compatible with this receiver. If the AV Controller app is installed on your iOS or Android device and connected to this Yamaha receiver, the older app will automatically take you to Yamaha's current MusicCast Controller app for installation and setup.
Alexa & Google Voice Control: Alexa and Google Home enabled devices (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) are able to control key functions of Yamaha's MusicCast system using voice commands. With Alexa & Google Home voice control integration, all you have to do is ask. The RX-A4A offers full compatibility with Amazon's and Google's range of voice control devices. Yamaha offers two Skill platforms that work hand-in-hand to give you a wide range of voice command possibilities, allowing you to control either a single MusicCast product or a whole MusicCast system. The Yamaha Aventage RX-A4A, other MusicCast components, and Alexa/Google-enabled devices must be on the same WiFi network.
- MusicCast Smart Home Skill: The MusicCast Smart Home skill supports the most common, everyday voice commands you would use to control a single MusicCast component. These basic commands include power on/off, volume control, play/pause/skip/previous, mute/unmute and input selection. This skill supports simple, Alexa and Google standardized commands such as "Alexa" or "Ok Google", "turn up volume in the Kitchen." You'll also be able to ask Alexa or Google to play specific songs/artists/albums on Amazon Music (Alexa only), Spotify, Pandora, iHeart, TuneIn, SiriusXM, and Deezer.
- MusicCast Skill: The MusicCast skill goes beyond the basics, giving you enhanced control of unique MusicCast functions such as room linking, multiple room control, playback of MusicCast Favorites/Playlists and more. The commands are customized for MusicCast, for example "Alexa" or "Ok Google", "ask MusicCast to link the Kitchen with the Living Room."
- Echo Source Input: In addition or alternatively, an Echo device can be used as a music/audio source for a MusicCast system. All MusicCast devices offer a Bluetooth input. Just pair your Echo device with any MusicCast component and the sound will play from the MusicCast device. Many MusicCast products also offer inputs which can be connected to Echo Dot via its line output, if a wired connection is preferred over Bluetooth. Using the MusicCast Controller app, you can select the Bluetooth or wired input and link multiple MusicCast devices for playback, allowing you to hear sound from Echo Dot throughout your home.
Note: Click here for a more information regarding Amazon Alexa control. Click here for more information regarding Google Home Assistant control.
AV Setup Guide App: Download Yamaha's AV Setup Guide App (for Apple iOS 9.0 and Android OS 4.4+) onto your compatible Apple iOS or Android device for assistance with connecting cables between the Yamaha AV receiver and your source devices as well as AV receiver setup. This app guides you through various settings including speaker connections, TV and source device connections, plus assigning the power amplifier. Once you have completed the setup guide, settings from this app will automatically be copied to your network-connected AV receiver for quick and easy setup.
Web Control: When connected to your network (with Internet connection), you can control the Yamaha AV receiver with the web control screen displayed in your PC's web browser. You'll be able to control functions such as, Power On/Off & Volume. Internet Explorer 9.x, 10.x, 11.x, or Safari 7.x is recommended for web browser.
Remote Connections: The RX-A4A offers a variety of remote connections for custom integration.
- 12V Trigger Outputs: The RX-A4A has two programmable minijack outputs (3.5mm) to send a 12-Volt DC turn-on signal to another component that accepts a 12V trigger, such as a power amplifier or motorized projection screen. The triggers are programmed either to work with a specific zone (main room or Zone2) or a specific source.
- Remote Jacks: The receiver has remote input and remote output minijack terminals (3.5mm) for use with external IR receivers and compatible Yamaha components.
On-Screen Menu: The RX-A4A offers an on-screen menu system via its HDMI output. This clean and simple interface makes setup and other operations extremely easy. If your TV is connected to the composite video monitor output, you will need to use the AV receiver's front-panel display when changing settings. You can set the receiver's on-screen menu language to English, French, Spanish, German, Italian, Russian, or Chinese. The front-panel display only offers English.
Note: Initial setup requires that the receiver be connected to your TV via HDMI for display of the on-screen menu. Many of the receiver's setup functions can only be found via the on-screen menu and not the front-panel display.
Scene (for One-Touch Start): Easily program up to 8 different preset scenarios using the 8 Scene buttons on the included remote control or 4 Scene buttons front-panel of the AV receiver. You can preset them for different inputs, as well as a sound field program, Music Enhancer, HDMI output and more. The inputs can be set to specific sources, such as an FM or Internet radio station, a station on a streaming service, a USB device or a song on a PC or NAS (Network-attached Storage). Once you’ve set the buttons, simply press one on the main unit or the remote control to power on the receiver and hear your desired music. The buttons can be re-set at any time.
Input Rename & Skip: The receiver automatically creates an input source name that is displayed on the front-panel screen for connected HDMI-compatible sources. You can also manually rename each input so the display reflects the actual source. If an input isn't being used, you can hide it from the display so you don't have to scroll past it when you change sources.
Display Dimmer: You can set the brightness of the front-panel display from -4 to 0.
ECO Mode: When the ECO Mode is enabled, you can reduce the receiver' power consumption by keeping the maximum volume, maximum output power, and front display's brightness low. ECO mode reduces power consumption by approximately 20%.
Timers: The receiver offers a programmable Sleep Timer and Auto Power Down function. The receiver's Sleep Timer function can be set turn the unit automatically off after 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes. If you don't operate the receiver or use the remote for an extended period of time, the unit will automatically go into standby mode (Auto Power Down function). The Auto Power Down feature is selectable from 2, 4, 8 or 12 hours. The unit can also be set to power down if it does not detect an input signal for 5 or 20 minutes.
Memory Guard: This feature is used to prevent accidental changes to the DSP program parameter values and other system settings.
Firmware Updates: New firmware will be released for the purpose of additional features or product improvements. Firmware updates can be downloaded from the Yamaha website. If this unit is connected to the Internet, the receiver will indicate when a new firmware version is available and you can download the firmware via the network connection. Firmware updates normally take approximately 20 minutes or longer. Check Yamaha's Support Download Site for the most recent firmware updates.
The Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A4A replaces these items
- 7-channel amplifier; 110 watts per channel with 2 channels driven
- Dolby Atmos and DTS:X for more enveloping home theater sound
- dual zone/dual source output with dual-zone HDMI outputs for watching different video content on two TVs simultaneously
8 questions already asked
So far I love it. Replaced an older AVENTAGE for enhanced 4K video switching with HDMI 2.1 and eARC - And really appreciate the improved YPAO calibration with this model. It sounds dramatically better with my existing 7.1 speaker system. Also surprised how much I enjoy the AI surround function.
James from Jackson, MI