About the Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A550
We get lots of stellar reviews from customers on Yamaha AVENTAGE receivers, and the RX-A550 looks to be yet another solid performer. If you're looking for a straightforward 5.1-channel system with outstanding sound and picture quality, there's no need to spend more on a receiver with connections you won't use. The RX-A550 brings you a thrilling home theater experience with all the benefits of a well-thought-out design plus plenty of fun and convenient features. 4K Ultra HD video pass-through with HDCP 2.2 support means you'll be able to take advantage of current and future Ultra HD content with a compatible 4K TV. There's support for high-resolution music files and a Compressed Music Enhancer for lower-resolution files, so you can enjoy clarity and detail from practically any music source.
Pick up good vibrations only
Yamaha builds their AVENTAGE series receivers with custom-designed parts that use anti-resonance technology to reduce distortion caused by vibration. The RX-A550's rigid H-shaped frame provides stability to reduce chassis vibration almost completely. A specially designed fifth foot at the center of the receiver's base helps dampen internal and external vibrations, and an aluminum front panel further reduces resonance for optimal sound quality. An extra bottom cover provides additional support for improved performance. All of this attention to detail in the receiver's construction, combined with its symmetrical amp layout and low-jitter PLL circuitry, results in accurate playback, precise stereo imaging, and a wide, natural soundstage.
Stream music wirelessly and control playback options on the RX-A550 with Yamaha's AV Controller app.
Ultimate wireless convenience
The Wi-Fi-equipped RX-A550 gives you quick access to all of your favorite songs plus plenty of ways to discover new music. Access content from your personal digital music library, or explore different Internet radio services. Pandora® lets you enjoy all the custom radio stations you listen to on the go in the comfort of your living room, and vTuner lets you listen to Internet radio stations from all over the world. With a premium Spotify® subscription, you can stream your favorite albums and playlists wirelessly to the receiver via your Internet router, controlling playback from your mobile device. Built-in Bluetooth lets you stream any music you listen to on your phone, tablet or computer, and Apple AirPlay lets you send music wirelessly from a compatible Apple device or from any computer with iTunes®.
Take control of your system with a flexible remote app
Our customers love Yamaha's AV Controller app. This number-one-rated control app turns your mobile device into a Wi-Fi remote so you can control and customize playback options on the RX-A550. Switch sources, tweak settings, adjust volume, and select Internet radio stations with effortlessly intuitive touchscreen operation. You can even hide unused icons and rename functions to personalize your remote to your system. Thanks to Yamaha's Wireless Direct technology, you can also control the receiver and stream music from your device without a network connection. If you prefer doing things the old-fashioned way, Yamaha's updated remote control is easy to use, and the receiver's advanced on-screen interface makes it a breeze to navigate settings and functions.
Simplified setup solutions for optimal performance
Yamaha has seen to it that you won't need to sweat setting up your system. A free AV Setup Guide app for iOS and Android™ tablets takes you step-by-step, with illustrations, through the process of connecting your speakers and sources. Once you've gotten everything connected, just plug the included setup mic into the RX-A550's front panel and the YPAO calibration system will analyze your speakers and your room's acoustics for optimal performance. YPAO is simple and automatic and sets the best sound for any room, no matter where your speakers are placed.
MusicCast puts whole home audio at your fingertips
Yamaha's new MusicCast feature makes it easy to build a whole home wireless audio system starting with the RX-A550. Use your existing Wi-Fi network to stream music to compatible Yamaha wireless speakers and sound bars in different rooms. Each room's speakers can be controlled independently with the free MusicCast app. The app lets you control playback, browse music sources, and select which rooms you want to use. Listen to the same music throughout your home, or play something different in each room. Access your personal digital music library, Internet radio, and popular streaming services. You can also play Bluetooth sources, sound from your TV, and even CDs and vinyl. MusicCast also supports high-resolution audio formats.
Power and Processing:
- 5-channel amplifier
- 80 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.09% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding
- YPAO (Yamaha Parametric Room Acoustic Optimizer) automatic speaker calibration with Reflected Sound Control and Volume to deliver more accurate surround sound across different listening levels (microphone included)
- Cinema DSP modes add richness and depth to music and movie soundtracks
- Adaptive Dynamic Range Control limits the volume level on sound effects and commercials for more discreet late-night listening
Digital and Streaming Music Options:
- built-in Wi-Fi for listening to music from a networked PC, free Internet radio, and music services
- Wireless Direct lets you stream music and control playback from a smartphone or tablet without a wireless home network
- includes support for Pandora and vTuner
- Spotify Connect lets you play Spotify's streaming music library through the receiver, controlled by your smartphone or tablet (requires Spotify app and a premium subscription)
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music streaming
- Apple AirPlay for streaming music from an iPhone, iPad®, iPod touch® or computer running iTunes
- MusicCast wirelessly connects compatible Yamaha components for whole home audio
- front-panel USB input for connecting an iPod®, iPhone, iPad, or thumb drive
- direct digital connection for iPod or iPhone bypasses the device's digital-to-analog converter for better sound
- plays high-resolution digital music files via USB storage device or a networked computer (PCM up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution; DSD up to 5.6 MHz .dsf files)
- DLNA 1.5 certified for streaming music wirelessly from compatible computers and network-attached storage (NAS) drives
- gapless playback of WAV, FLAC and ALAC files from USB thumb drives and networked computers
Audio Performance Features:
- 192kHz/24-bit Burr-Brown digital-to-analog converters for all channels
- Ultra Low Jitter PLL circuitry reduces timing jitter from digital sources, for improved sound quality
- Compressed Music Enhancer improves sound quality of Bluetooth streams, MP3s, and other digital music files
- HDMI 2.0 audio/video switching: 6 in, 1 out
- HDCP 2.2 technology ensures compatibility with 4K Ultra HD sources and TVs (HDMI 6 input and monitor output only)
- component video switching: 2 in, 1 out
- composite video switching: 4 in, 1 out
- digital audio inputs: 1 optical and 2 coaxial
- 3 analog stereo audio inputs
- preamp output for a powered subwoofer
- no phono input to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
- Ethernet port for network connection
- front-panel USB port for audio playback from USB flash drives and portable music players
- outputs for 5 speakers (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R)
- 4K/60p and 3D video pass-through
- free Yamaha AV Controller app lets you use your Apple or Android device as a Wi-Fi remote
- four SCENE presets for one-touch power-up, source selection and DSP recall
- Audio Return Channel function receives digital audio signals from a compatible HDTV's tuner via HDMI
- full-color on-screen display
- HDMI standby pass-through allows source switching without powering up receiver
- AM/FM tuner
- remote control
- 17-1/8"W x 6-5/16"H x 13-1/16"D (8-3/4"H with Wi-Fi antenna raised)
- weight: 17.9 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # RX-A550BL
What's in the box:
- 5.1ch AV receiver
- Wireless remote control (RAV546)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- YPAO microphone
- W-LAN antenna (pre-installed)
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna
- Owner's Manual CD-ROM
- Easy Setup Guide
- Safety Brochure
- Warranty information
- On-line product registration information
- "Yamaha Worldwide Representative Offices" note
- Spotify brochure
Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A550 reviews
Purchased for daughter's housewarming, along with PhonoBox phono preamp. Daughter needed something that had multi HDMI inputs, could stream, and most of all, good sound! Bought this unit as an open box, compared it against a Marantz NR series. Hooked it up to Monitor Audio S1 speakers and a Dayton Audio (Hsu) subwoofer. Not only does it do everything as advertised, it sounds really good! The MA speakers can sound too bright when paired with bright amplification, but this sounds really good. The Open Box was packed well, and while I could tell it had been opened prviously, everything appears to be in order (all accessories are there as well). I would definitely recommend the Yamaha Adventage line if sound quality is important.
Pros: Great features, Easy setup, Very Good sound.
0 of 0 found this helpful
Great sound and video. Easy setup!
Pros: Very easy set up including wifi.
Cons: None so far.
0 of 0 found this helpful
great sound for my Samsung tv, dvd/ blueray, and cable. wifi music from the kids phones is also a great feature, and easy to use. setup for the receiver is very simple with HDMI cables .
Pros: wifi music, really didn't think it would get as much use as it does, but it gets a lot ! simple setup
Cons: none at this time. have had the unit 4 months
1 of 1 found this helpful
I've only had this receiver for about a week, but so far it is a fantastic product. This replaced an older Harmon Kardon which was a good receiver for it's time, but this new Yamaha opens up a whole new dimension in home entertainment. I have it hooked up to Paradigm front and Advent rear speakers and it drives them just fine. My first receiver was a Yamaha bought in the 70's and this one carries on the tradition.
Pros: Great sound. Really like the theater play back options. Opens music up or allows you to focus in on dialogue.
0 of 0 found this helpful
The receiver meet my expectations and was very easy to install and operate. The only minor setback would be that it does not come with a paper instruction manual, but is easily printable from Yamaha's web site.
0 of 0 found this helpful
Compared to my other receiver, Yamaha RX-V473, the sound quality is just as good in terms of clarity and definition with plenty of power. The unit also seems to be off high quality build. On the down side, like the RX-V473, it behaves quirky when switching inputs, from say from Airplay to an HDMI input. After switching to my DVR input (HDMI 1), the TV screen locks up for around 20 seconds before resuming. No functions work during this time. The RX-V473 also has trouble when switching inputs (it gives no picture sometimes), so it may be a firmware issue Yamaha needs to sort out. Also, the remote is very basic and missing quite a few buttons (like Info, Sleep, TV controls). I know Yamaha is trying to make the remote more user-friendly, which is fine but don't remove useful buttons. In fact, I ended up just using the V473 remote for this unit since the only button it doesn't have is the Bluetooth function which you can program as a Scene button if you wish.
Pros: Sound quality Build quality
Cons: Basic remote Quirky handling when switching inputs (like other units)
0 of 0 found this helpful
My sony STR-1030 HDMI input stopped working and prior to that had issue with a Onkyo that the HDMI issues. The GUI is very simple but easy to navigate, a lot of people complain about the GUI but for set-up it worked great, no issues. The set-up is very easy, all the inputs are marked well and easy to access. This receiver is easy enough I did not need to reference the manual at all for set-up.1. build quality, way better than the Sony and Onkyo I had prior and it looks great. 2-Reliability, I am confident I will have zero issues with this receiver, based on reviews. 3. Set-up, this is about as easy as it gets for a 5.1 set-up. 4. Power, not sure if the sony and onkyo were overrated on the yamaha underrated but this yamaha seems to handle everything easier at a lower volume level needed. 5. Surround, this is were this thing really shines is with movies, center is very focused, this receiver does a much better job than my previouse two receivers on processing information and detail of information to the surround speakers. I am hearing stuff in the same movies I did not pick out before. 5. Music 2 channel and Multi Channel, very natural, no harsh highs or muddy mid range, it just repoduces it as it was intended to be reproduced, I have played FLACC, SACD and some lossless formats all were very clear and great sounding. 6. App, no issues works great. If you have a 5.1 set-up and do not plan to expand, this receiver for the on sale price IMO is the top dog. Very happy customer.
Pros: Very clean sound, 5.1 surround is excellent, build quality is top notch, looks are very classy and with the metal front it speaks to build quality, Display is easy to read from accross the the room, Set-up was easy and YAPO worked very well, app is easy to navigate simple and looks good, bluetooth and wi-fi both have not dropped and working great, musiccast works very well. HDMI switcher is excellent, fast and picture quality. Provided remote is very good. Recommend to anyone for 5.1 set-up.
Cons: On screen file access of music very basic and that is where the GUI needs improvement, overpriced compared to some offering from Denon unless you catch a great deal on one of these like I did from Crutchfield. Need to make all inputs HDCP 2.2 compliant.
1 of 1 found this helpful
Haven't had to purchase many receivers over the years but this thing is hands down waaaay better than my Sony of 15 yrs.
Pros: Sound quality, programmable features
Cons: Hard to name one
0 of 0 found this helpful
I have connected the receiver to 5 Yamaha 3-way Ceiling Speakers and one Klipsch 10" Sub. The sound Is fantastic, love the range and the quality. The on thing I don't like is the remote, this is the only remote that is not Bluetooth. I will need to install an IR repeater. The app on my I-Pad make the set up process much easier, then using the remote. You really cant set up Pandora, as example, without it.
Pros: Great sound
Cons: poor remote
2 of 2 found this helpful
Firstly, I'm not an audiophile. I was looking for a receiver to replace my older Yamaha whose power unit failed. Since I purchased another Yamaha, I expected a similar experience. I was wrong. This receiver is so much more user-friendly and has so many great features. I shouldn't have waited for my last one to die. Setup is easy. There are lots of HDMI ports, it has built in wi-fi, bluetooth and Airplay. I'm not sure which surround sound standard I was missing, but the sound on Fury Road sounded much better than my last Yamaha receiver. It might be that my last receiver was so non-user-friendly that I didn't have it setup correctly. Also, the remote is so much simpler to use than my last Yamaha. I'm able to do everything I need to without having to guess at what needs to be done. I'm extremely happy with this receiver. By the way, I have a 3.1 setup. Nothing outrageous.
Pros: Great remote, easy setup, lots of HDMI ports, wireless functionality (bluetooth, wi-fi, Spotify, Airplay).
Cons: The "internet radio" feature seems to be pretty limited and the interface is not great. Fortunately, there are plenty of other options for listening to non-over-the-air (AM/FM) broadcasts.
2 of 2 found this helpful
Installation was so much smoother than the supposedly more capable Onkyo system it replaced. Onkyo died just after the warranty was up after 2 years. I should have learned from my old Yanaha stereo receiver - still going after 30 years. I was pleased with the AV setup, and the unit is performing as expected with my 3.1 speaker setup (2-woofer-tweeter combinations with a Yahama center and subwoofer). Great sound from Internet radio, BluRay movies. Sounds are similar to the Onkyo with the same speakers. The best part of this purchase was the help from Allen at Crutchfield, with his very pertinent questions and answers to help guide me.
Pros: Sound quality. Set-up. Smooth video performance with my 50" plasma set. Relatively smooth setup which had much clearer instructions than Onkyo's. I'm still working thru some less necessary setup details, but so far quite pleased with the quality overall.
Cons: Still need a pre-amp for my turntable - seems like a pretty low-cost addition for Yahama to add to its receivers, but not everyone has a turntable these days. I still haven't been able to add my Apple phone and pad with their setup procedure. I'll probably get some help with that from Crutchfield.
1 of 1 found this helpful
I replaced an aging Denon which had started to give problems, plus it didn't have HDMI ports, making it difficult to use with newer system components. I have used the Yamaha only for several hours, but so far I am very impressed not only with the features and capabilities, but also the sound. I always loved the sound of the Denon, and until I turned the Yamaha on I didn't realize the huge difference in sound quality I was getting. I used my existing turntable (had to buy a preamp for it), as well as CD/DVD player, and tape player, plus my existing Baltic speakers, large for the front, medium for rear channels, an older Cambridge Sound Ensamble speaker for center channel, and a NHT powered sub. The clearer, more crisp highs stood out immediately, and as I listened I realized the separation and imaging were much improved. Strings sound like live now! Although I use a powered sub, for some reason that even sounds better. I have listened to several other units priced in the same price range, and really think this one blows them away....as it does with some higher priced ones I have heard. I highly recommend this product.
Pros: Love the internet radio feature, and the fine tuning abilities. Power is plenty adequate for my system and listening room.
Cons: Can't think of any.
5 of 5 found this helpful
This product is not HDMI CEC compatible with Samsung tv's. I would have appreciated it if this was disclosed in the listing.
9 of 21 found this helpful
Great sound and a huge improvement in video clarity. I didn't think it was possible to get this quality for this price.
Pros: Adequate number of HDMI inputs. Easy set up Versatile
Cons: CD manual
1 of 4 found this helpful
When I pulled it out of the box I had a good feeling about my purchase. It looked well made and not cheap which is partly why I sprung for the Advantage model. After hooking up and positioning my speakers I set up the included micro phone and the receiver adjusted all the speakers for optimum performance, very cool. The I played around with all the sound fields and found drama was good for TV, and the Dolby pro logic made the music stations sound like I was there in person, also great for movies for the full theater experience. The extra bass feature is very handy and easily turned on or off. It also does internet radio, Pandora, and Spotify for all you music buffs like me out there. The blue tooth works great too, and that opens up all the music stored on your phone, and even music on you tube, pair it with a wi - fi ready DVD player and you can watch all your old favorite music videos with awesome sound. There's even a app to control the receiver with your phone. I would recommend downloading the directions off the internet so you can use the unit to its full potential.
Pros: Well made, lots different sound programs, powerful, blue tooth, wi fi ready, easy to use remote.
Cons: Instructions on Cd rom, not a convenient book.
5 of 5 found this helpful
Replaced an aging Yamaha RX-V663 to compliment my new 4K television set. I'm impressed with the sound quality and ease of setup. Years ago I competed in IASCA auto sound competitions and still have one of the system judging CDs used to evaluate a setup. I tried it and the sound quality, staging and imaging were most excellent and I could find no fault. Just now finished watching the movie San Andreas on a blu-ray disc and the sound is loud and the awesome special effects will place some serious demands on a sound system. The RX-A550 came through with flying colors but alas one of my 20 year old Infinity Infinitesimal speakers did not survive the onslaught. A new speaker system will soon be in place.
Pros: Sound quality and processing is top notch as is the picture quality on my 50" 4K television set. Will reproduce a movie soundtrack accurately and with enough volume to cause hearing damage but will also make you think Diana Krall is in your living room singing just for you if you close your eyes. All together an impressive achievement for a receiver in this price range.
Cons: None that I've found yet.
10 of 10 found this helpful
I replaced a 16 year-old Yamaha receiver with this one to get current with new features and technology, but keep a 5.1 surround sound configuration intact for a smaller family room area. Highly recommended to anyone looking for up-to-date 5.1 surround support in a smaller room. Not too loud for early morning viewing with the kids, but packs a solid punch when turned up for movies. HDMI switching, Airplay, Bluetooth, and Pandora support complete a great package.
Cons: Could have a nicer looking OSD but it does what it should and makes setup and fine tuning easy.
3 of 5 found this helpful
More details on the Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A550
Features & specs
Aventage Series: The Aventage line of Yamaha AV receivers is based on the audio design concept of providing a massive, full-bodied sound for movie sound effects and the accurate reproduction of music sources. By expertly harmonizing traditional and advanced technologies, every factor that affects sound quality, from materials & parts construction to circuitry layout, vibration damping, and "fine-tuning" the sound, is handled with no other thought than to achieve the best possible audio quality. As a result, every Aventage receiver has the ability to reproduce the most subtle details of high-definition sound, so that listeners can enjoy a truly high-class sound studio experience at home.
- High Drive Amp Technology: A fully discrete power amplifier helps maximize sound and minimize distortion of the receiver. The Yamaha RX-V479 AV Receiver is equipped with a 5-channel amplifier rated at 80 watts (into 8-ohms, at 20-20kHz, with 0.09% THD, driving 2 channels) which provides high dynamic power with low-impedance drive capability.
- High Purity Pre-Amplification: The Yamaha RX-V479 uses high quality, audio-grade Burr-Brown 192kHz/24-bit digital-to-analog converters for all channels to maximize sound quality. The AV receiver also utilizes low-jitter PLL circuitry to help optimize sound imaging. The result is a more dynamic sound with greater detail and less distortion.
- Aluminum Front-Panel: The aluminum front-panel is used to effectively shield sensitive circuitry from external noise and electronic energy generated by dimmer switches, fluorescent lighting, video monitors and so on. This ensures optimum sonic performance in the widest range of installation environments.
- A.R.T.: The A.R.T. (Anti-Resonance Technology) Wedge 5th foot is in the center of the unit. It dampens vibrations from the power transformer, power transistors and heat sinks, as well as vibrations that might be caused by the sound from the speakers. A.R.T. Wedge 5th foot helps ensure that vibrations do not affect the sound quality. The AV receiver also employs anti-vibration heatsinks to suppress vibration from transistors and sound pressure.
- Independent Power Supplies: Independent power supplies are used for the receiver's analog and digital circuitry to prevent digital noise from affecting analog circuitry.
YPAO Sound Optimization: This unit employs the YPAO (Yamaha Parametric Acoustic Optimizer), which automatically adjusts the output of the speakers based on placement, performance, and the room's acoustic characteristics. Yamaha's YPAO system uses a small microphone and sophisticated equalization to automatically set the best sound for any room, no matter where the speakers are. First it checks the speaker connections and phase of each speaker. Then it sends out tones which are captured by the microphone to analyze the room acoustics and sets a variety of parameters; such as the speaker size, the distance of the speakers, and even the volume level; until it achieves the best sound conditions for your room. Using the supplied Optimizer Microphone, YPAO performs the following checks and makes appropriate adjustments to give you the best possible sound from your system:
- Speaker Wiring: Checks which speakers are connected and the polarity of each.
- Speaker Size: Checks the frequency response of each speaker and sets the appropriate crossover frequency for each channel.
- Speaker Distance: Checks the distance of each speaker from the listening position and adjusts the delay of each channel.
- EQ: Each channel has a parametric equalizer; choose one
of three target settings before running the setup.
- Natural: adjusts all speaker to a natural sound; useful when the flat setting sounds too bright
- Flat: use when all the speakers in the system have similar sound characteristics
- Front: EQs the center and rear speakers to sound like the front; useful when your front speakers are better than the others in the system
- Volume Level: Checks and adjusts the volume level of each speaker.
Note: You can also choose to manually adjust the AV receiver's speaker, crossover, & EQ settings.
Multi-Channel Decoding Formats: The Yamaha RX-A550 supports the following multi-channel (Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Pro Logic) decoding formats.
- Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD
- DTS: DTS, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS Express, DTS 96/24, DTS Neo: 6
- Dolby Pro Logic: Dolby Pro Logic II
Note: Dolby Digital and DTS listening modes can only be selected if your audio source is connected to the AV receiver via a digital audio connection (HDMI, optical, or coaxial). Even though the AV receiver will decode 7.1ch surround sound (via HDMI), it will only output 5.1ch surround, because it lacks Surround Back channel speaker outputs.
Surround Parameters: The Yamaha AV receiver offers the following Dolby Pro Logic II and DTS NEO:6 audio adjustments.
- Dolby Pro Logic II Settings: You can adjust the following parameters in Pro Logic II Music modes: Panorama (sends stereo signals to the surround speakers as well as the front speakers for a wraparound effect), Dimension (adjusts the soundfield either towards the front or towards the rear of the room), and Center Width (moves the center channel output completely towards the center speaker or towards the front left and right speakers).
- Center Image (DTS NEO: 6 Music): This parameter adjusts the front left and right channel output relative to the center channel to make the center channel more or less dominant as necessary.
Cinema DSP Soundfields: Conventional multichannel audio reproduction systems base their sound on Dolby Digital and DTS decoding, using matrix and steering technologies to create surround sound effects. Yamaha Cinema DSP is much more advanced, actually creating richly realized independent soundfields that envelop you in an unmatched surround sound experience. With dialogue, music and effects ideally located in these separate soundfields, you will hear sound with accurate placement, smooth movement, exceptional clarity and richness, and realistic presence. It will seem as if the walls of your room have disappeared and you are in the middle of your own immense theater. The AV receiver offers 17 Cinema DSP programs for movies, music, and games.
- Movie Soundfields: Standard, Spectacle, Sci-Fi, Adventure, Drama, Mono Movie, Sports, Action Game, Role Playing Game
- Music Soundfields: Hall Munich, Hall in Vienna, Chamber, Cellar club, The Roxy Theater, The Bottom Line, Music Video, 5/7ch Stereo
Note: You can change the receiver's Cinema DSP effect level (level of the soundfield effect to be added); you can adjust the level of the soundfield effect from -6 dB to +3 dB from the receiver or remote control. The AV Controller App for Apple iOS and Android provides even greater adjustment of Cinema DSP soundfields.
Cinema DSP Modes: The Yamaha Aventage RX-A550 AV receiver offers proprietary Yamaha Cinema modes so you can enjoy your movies and music even more in your home; regardless if you are using 5.1 speaker setup, only have a two-channel speaker system, or listening through headphones.
- Cinema DSP 3D: The actually measured soundfield data in
recorded soundtracks contain the information of the height of the sound
images. CINEMA DSP 3D mode achieves the reproduction of the accurate height
of theses sound images so that it can create the accurate and intensive
stereoscopic soundfield in your listening room. The receiver achieves Cinema
DSP 3D through its virtual Presence Speaker & Virtual Surround Back Speakers
- Virtual Presence Speaker (VPS): With the power of CINEMA DSP 3D, the Virtual Presence Speaker function makes full use of center and surround speakers to create audible information from where presence (height) speakers are normally installed.
- Virtual Surround Back Speaker (VSBS): This receiver also features a Virtual Surround Back Speaker function. Even without using surround back speakers, you can experience more natural, lifelike sound from behind you without physical speakers being installed in the surround back area of the listening environment.
- Virtual Cinema DSP: Virtual Cinema DSP is an algorithm that allows you to enjoy DSP soundfield surround effects while using a minimal two-speaker system. Virtual Cinema DSP lets you enjoy the effects of Cinema DSP surround sound without using surround speakers (handy for use in custom installations where some rooms don't have surround speakers). It can be used with the front/center speakers or even with just the two front left and right speakers. This unit will switch to virtual Cinema DSP mode automatically when surround speakers are unavailable.
- Virtual Cinema Front: With Virtual Cinema Front, you will enjoy virtual 5-channel surround sound with higher quality and resolution by installing surround speakers at the front. You get more flexibility to arrange your speakers inside the room, along with easy enjoyment of high quality surround sound.
- Silent Cinema: Silent Cinema makes it possible to hear large-scale surround sound through ordinary headphones. This is a variation of Cinema DSP technology that Yamaha developed to let you listen in private to movies and other multi-channel sources for hours without listening fatigue.
HiFi Sound Modes: The Yamaha Aventage RX-A550 offers two HiFi audio modes which bypass the receiver's tone & DSP processing for higher sound quality performance. These HiFi sound modes lets you play back input sources without any soundfield effect processing. When either of theses modes are enabled, each speaker produces its own channel audio signal (without soundfield processing). When playing back 2-channle sources, such as a CD player, stereo sound is heard from the front speakers. When playing back multichannel sources, the receiver produces unprocessed multichannel surround sound.
- Straight: 2-channel stereo sources are output from only the front left and right speakers, while multi-channel sources are decoded straight into the appropriate channels without any additional tone or DSP processing.
- Direct: Turns off the surround and tone circuitry, and dims the front-panel display, allowing sources to bypass the decoders and DSP processors of this unit so you can enjoy pure hi-fi sound from 2-channel or multi-channel sources. During Direct playback no sound is output from the subwoofer.
Compressed Music Enhancer: Yamaha employs sophisticated digital signal processing with exclusive algorithms to enable playback that improves the performance of compressed music formats, including MP3, WMA, and AAC. With the Compressed Music Enhancer, highs and especially lows are richer and smoother, bringing music back to life to be as close to the original as possible.
Dynamic Range Control: The Yamaha Aventage RX-A550 employs two Dynamic Range Control functions.
- Adaptive DRC: Adaptive DRC automatically adjusts the dynamic range of the sound according to the volume level. This ensures that you hear clear dialog, vocals, and all sound effects at comfortable levels. There is no need to adjust the volume level as you listen; everything from whispers to big explosions will be heard clearly and comfortably at the same volume setting. It also tones down loud TV commercials and is ideal for low-volume, late-night listening when you do not want to disturb others.
- Dynamic Range: The amount of dynamic range compression applied to bitstream signals is adjustable; Min/Auto is suitable for low volume listening, Standard is typical for home use, and Max doesn't compress the dynamic range at all.
Bass Management: The Yamaha Aventage RX-A550 AV receiver provides the following Bass Management settings.
- Bass & Treble: You can adjust the balance of the high-frequency range (Treble) and low-frequency range (Bass) of sounds output from the receiver' front left and right speakers to obtain a desired tone. You can independently adjust the bass (50Hz) and treble (20kHz) from -6dB to +6dB in 0.5 dB increments. The tone control of the speakers or headphones can be set separately.
- Extra Bass: You can select whether to play front channel low-frequencies through either of the front speaker or the subwoofer, or through both the subwoofer and front speakers.
- Subwoofer Trim: The Subwoofer Trim control enhances the low frequencies by avoiding overlap with the front speaker output. This will result in a cleaner, more focused sound stage while providing a seamless frequency response. When subwoofer frequency overlap occurs in conventional systems, the overall sound is "pushed" toward the subwoofer. Subwoofer Trim takes care of this by separating the low subwoofer frequencies cleanly, thus stabilizing the front stage while providing a well-balanced enhanced bass sound.
Volume Setup: The Yamaha Aventage RX-A550 allows you to customize the receiver's volume levels.
- Max Volume Adjustment: Use this feature to set the receiver's maximum volume level. This feature is useful to avoid turning the volume too loud by mistake. You can set the Max Volume from -30 dB to +15 dB in 5 dB steps, or to +16.5 dB (full volume range is -80 dB to +16.5 dB).
- Initial Volume Setting: Use this feature to set the volume level when the power is turned on. You can choose between Off (same as the volume when the unit was turned off), Mute, and -80 dB to + 16.5 dB in increments of 0.5 dB.
- Volume Trim: Use this feature to adjust the volume level of each input. This is useful to balance the level of each input to avoid sudden changes in volume when switching between input sources. The range is from -6dB to +6dB in 0.5dB increments.
Note: You can choose to display the "Relative" volume scale (-80 to +16dB) or an "Absolute" volume scale (0 to 97).
Audio Inputs/Outputs: The Yamaha Aventage RX-A550 offers a variety of analog and digital audio inputs/outputs.
- Digital Inputs: The Yamaha AV receiver is equipped with one optical (toslink) digital input and two coaxial (RCA) digital inputs capable of handling 2.0-5.1ch/32-96kHz audio.
- Analog Inputs: The receiver is also equipped with three rear-panel stereo RCA analog audio inputs and one front-panel minijack (3.5mm) audio input
- Speaker Terminals: The receiver has binding post terminals for all speaker outputs. The binding posts can accept bare wire, pin connectors, and single banana plugs. You can select 8 ohms or 6 ohms in the menu depending on your speaker application. The amplifier supports 6- to 8-ohm for all speaker connections.
- Headphone Jack: The Yamaha RX-A550 is equipped with a front-panel 1/4" headphone jack for connecting a set of headphone, so you can listen to your music privately. Connecting a set of headphones automatically mutes the receiver's speaker outputs. Sound effects applied during playback can also be heard through the headphones.
HDMI 2.0: The Yamaha RX-A550 AV receiver is fitted with six HDMI 2.0 inputs and one HDMI 2.0 output to deliver crystal-clear, all-digital audio and video signals. The HDMI 2.0 jacks support 1080p and 4K video signals; as well as 3D video and ARC functionality. Deep Color (30/36 bit), x.v.Color, and auto Lip-Sync compensation is also supported via HDMI. The AV receiver's HDMI jacks support 2-channel and multi-channel linear PCM (up to 8-channel) and Bitstream (Dolby Digital, DTS, etc) digital audio formats.
- 4K/60Hz + HDCP 2.2: This unit supports the latest HDMI standards thanks to the transmission of 4K video @ 60 frames per second on all HDMI inputs and output (pass-through only). The receiver's HDMI 6 input and HDMI monitor output also supports HDCP 2.2 which fully complies with the latest copyright protection, a standard for 4K video transmission.
- 3D Ready: The Yamaha RX-A550 AV receiver supports 3D HDMI pass-through from connected 3D-compatible Blu-ray, games and broadcast devices to 3D-compatible HDTVs (all 3D components must be connected via HDMI). Special eyewear will be required for viewing 3D content.
- ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature of the RX-A550's HDMI monitor output allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to the receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
- Deep/x.v.Color Support: The AV receiver supports Deep Color and x.v.Color content, which can display a larger color range than standard-definition schemes. The result is a more lifelike, vibrant picture
- LipSync: This function adjusts the delay between audio and video output. You can do this manually or have the receiver set the LipSync function automatically. When connected to a TV via HDMI the receiver automatically adjusts audio output timing (0-500ms) if the TV supports an automatic LipSync function. You can also manually delay the sound output up to 500ms to synchronize it with the video image.
HDMI Standby Through Mode: When the RX-A550 is in standby mode (power off), the Standby Through feature allows HDMI source signals to pass through the receiver to the TV. The HDMI input can be changed using the remote control. So, there's not need to turn on the A/V receiver in order to switch HDMI sources.
Analog Video: The RX-A550 AV receiver offers both composite and component analog video jacks. The RX-A550 offers two component video inputs and one component video monitor output. These jacks have a frequency response of 5 Hz to 60 MHz and will pass High Definition video sources up to 1080p. The receiver also features four composite video inputs and one composite video monitor output.
Background Video: The Background Video feature allows you to watch a video source while listening to a different audio source. With the RX-A550, you can select any video input, and listen to AM/FM radio or select songs from a USB device, Bluetooth, or Network source at the same time.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Yamaha AV receiver is fitted with a RJ-45 Ethernet (LAN) port to connect the receiver to your home network. The unit also offers built-in WiFi (IEEE 802.11 b/g/n; 2.4GHz) for a wireless network connection; WPS, WEP, WPA-PSK (TKIP), WPA-PSK (AES), WPA2-PSK (AES) security protection is supported. Either network connection gives the receiver access to your DLNA music server and various online music services. Wireless network setup can be done via WPS button, Access Point Scan, Manual Setting, PIN Code, or even through your Apple iOS device (5.0+).
Note: Network setup requires that the receiver be connected to your TV via HDMI for display of the on-screen menu. The receiver's network setup cannot be accessed through its front-panel display.
Internet Radio: The Yamaha Aventage RX-A550's network connection provides access to Pandora, Spotify, and vTuner Internet Radio online music services. You can control the Internet Radio services from the AV receiver's remote control and on-screen menu (via HDMI). The receiver will display station name, album name, song title, and elapsed time on your HDMI-connected television.
|Pandora||Pandora is free, personalized radio that plays music and comedy you'll love. Just start with the name of one of your favorite artists, songs, comedians or composers and Pandora will create a custom station that plays similar tracks. You can also rate (thumbs up/thumbs down) songs as they play, and Pandora will adapt stations to your feedback. You can even bookmark up to 100 stations and easily switch between favorites.|
|Spotify Connect||With the Spotify app (premium account required) on your Apple iOS or Android smartphone, you've got instant access to millions of songs. And now you can stream those same songs from your smartphone to the Yamaha AV receiver by using Spotify Connect; simply hit play on the app to start streaming music. What's more, when you've been listening to Spotify on your smartphone outside and come inside, the song immediately begins to stream to the receiver for uninterrupted music enjoyment. You can also personalize playlists and receive phone calls while listening to music.|
|vTuner||You can also listen to Internet radio stations using the vTuner Internet Radio Station database service particularly customized for this unit, providing a database of numerous radio stations around the world. You can search for Internet Radio stations by Location, Genre, New, Popular, or Podcast.|
DLNA + WiFi Direct: The Yamaha Aventage RX-A550 AV receiver supports music streaming from WiFi-enabled devices (via WiFi Direct) and DLNA certified devices (via your home network). Supported music files include; MP3 (up to 48 kHz), WMA (up to 48 kHz), AAC (up to 48 kHz), ALAC (up to 96 kHz), AIFF (up to 192kHz), WAV (up to 192 kHz), FLAC (up to 192 kHz), and DSD (2.8/5.6MHz).
- WiFi Direct: When using WiFi Direct, you can connect directly with other WiFi-enabled devices without using a wireless router. You'll be able to wirelessly stream a variety of music files to the Yamaha receiver without connecting to your home network. WiFi Direct completely bypasses your WiFi access point/router, so it's easy to set up. You'll continue to navigate your music and view song/artist information from your mobile device.
- DLNA Certified: The RX-A550 is DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5 and Windows 7/8 compliant for audio networking. This means it's easier for you to access and enjoy digital music stored on your PC over your home network. You can use your PC to play high-bit rate music content through your audio system, or use the RX-A550 to browse and play music files on your hard drive. You can control playback of your streamed audio files from the AV receiver's remote control. The receiver also supports ID3-Tag and META tag information so song title, artist name, and album name can be displayed from the unit's on-screen menu (via HDMI). The AV receiver supports the following DLNA music servers - (1) PC with Windows Media Player 11 or later installed, (2) PC with DLNA/UPnP Certificate server software installed, (3) NAS with DLNA/UPnP certification.
MusicCast Wireless Multiroom Streaming: This AV receiver supports Yamaha's MusicCast multiroom audio eco-system, which allows you to wirelessly play back a wide variety of audio sources and content in multiple rooms of your home (additional MusicCast products sold separately). MusicCast works with your home's existing WiFi router and Yamaha's free MusicCast App for Apple iOS (7.1+) and Android (4.1+) devices. You'll be able to stream the receiver's tuner, inputs, Bluetooth, and network sources to other MusicCast products installed in your home. In addition, you'll be able to stream your MusicCast products' sources to the AV receiver. MusicCast supports the following source content.
- Analog & Digital Sources: External devices connected to the receiver via HDMI, optical/coax digital, analog RCA, or Phono can be played back over the MusicCast eco-system. *Multi-channel content (5.1ch/7.1ch) is down-mixed to 2-channel sound for playback in other rooms without affecting the master room.
- Tuner & Online Music Services: Pandora, Spotify Connect, & vTuner can be accessed from the MusicCast app for multiroom playback. The receiver's built-in AM/FM tuner is also supported.
- DLNA: MusicCast supports DLNA, allowing access to DLNA-compatible computers and network attached storage (NAS) devices. With support for WAV, FLAC, and AIFF (up to 192kHz/24-bit) and ALAC (up to 96kHz/24-bit). Master room playback is at the native sampling rate and other rooms down-convert to 48kHz.
- Bluetooth: A Bluetooth source can be used with multiple MusicCast devices, so music can be played in multiple rooms simultaneously.
Note: This feature will require a firmware update (September 2015 availability).
AM/FM Tuner: The Yamaha Aventage RX-A550 AV receiver features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, and preset tuning. The RX-A550 lets you store up to 40 AM/FM station presets. This can be done manually or automatically (auto-preset tuning). You can set this receiver to automatically match FM broadcast frequencies in stereo, or convert the frequency to monaural for weaker stations. An indoor FM wire antenna and AM loop antenna are included with the receiver.
Web Control: When connected to your network (with Internet connection), you can control the Yamaha AV receiver with the web control screen displayed in your PC's web browser. You'll be able to control functions such as, Power On/Off & Volume. Internet Explorer 9.x, 10.x, 11.x, or Safari 7.x is recommended for web browser.
Firmware Updates: New firmware will be released for the purpose of additional features or product improvements. Firmware updates can be downloaded from the Yamaha website. If this unit is connected to the Internet, the receiver will indicate when a new firmware version is available and you can download the firmware via the network connection. Firmware updates normally take approximately 20 minutes or longer. Check Yamaha's Support Download Site for the most recent firmware updates.
USB Port: This AV receiver is equipped with a front-panel USB (type-A) port that allows you to enjoy a variety of music files stored on a USB mass storage class memory device; such as select Android smartphones (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only), portable MP3 players, or USB thumbdrives (not compatible with USB HDDs). Your USB mass storage class device must be formatted in FAT 16 or FAT32.You can use the receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI) and remote control to navigate your stored music files on your connected USB memory device. USB portable audio players that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the AV receiver's USB port (5V/1A); even in standby mode. Compatible music files include:
- MP3 (up to 48 kHz)
- WMA (up to 48 kHz)
- AAC (up to 48 kHz)
- ALAC (up to 96 kHz)
- AIFF (up to 192 kHz)
- WAV (up to 192 kHz)
- FLAC (up to 192 kHz)
- DSD (2.8/5.6 MHz)
Note: While listening to a song from a USB device, you can view a favorite video or photo from the receiver's monitor output.
iPod/iPhone Connectivity: The Yamaha Aventage RX-A550 offers wired (via USB) and wireless (via AirPlay) connectivity for your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
- AirPlay: AirPlay lets you stream your favorite songs directly from your Apple iOS (4.3.3+) device or from your iTunes (10.2.2+) library on your Windows PC or Mac computer to the AV receiver, over your home's wireless network connection. From your Apple iOS device you are able to stream stored music on your device, downloaded music apps, and music on your iCloud to the AV receiver. From your Windows or Mac you can stream your stored iTunes music library on your computer to the AV receiver; you can even download Apple's free Remote App onto your compatible iOS device to browse and control playback functions of the music stored in your iTunes music library on your computer that is being streamed to the AV receiver. With AirPlay you also get to see song/artist information and album art via the receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI).
- USB Direct: The USB (type-A) port on the front-panel provides convenient connection for your iPod/iPhone so you can listen to your stored music and music apps through the Yamaha AV receiver. The iPod/iPhone USB digital connection means that the digital audio signal from your iPod/iPhone is transmitted directly to the system, minimizing noise interference and allowing use of the receiver's DAC, not the DAC in your iPod/iPhone. This results in more precise sound reproduction. You can navigate your iPod/iPhone's music via the receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI) and remote control, or continue to use your iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen. You can browse your iPod/iPhone's stored music content via Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Genre, or Composer. You can also control Repeat & Shuffle functions. Basic playback functions (such as Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track) for music apps can also be controlled by the AV receiver's remote. Song/artist information and Album Art from stored music and music apps on your iPod/iPhone will display on your connected TV (via HDMI); the unit's front-panel display will also indicate song/artist text.
Note: Your Apple device's battery will be charged while connected to the receiver's front-panel USB port (max. 1A).
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Yamaha AV receiver supports the following Apple devices and functionalities (as of 8/6/2015):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Connector Type||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|USB||AirPlay||Bluetooth||Audio||Video||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Album Art||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
On-Screen Menu: The RX-A550 offers an on-screen menu system via its HDMI output. This clean and simple interface makes setup and other operations extremely easy. If your TV is connected to the composite video monitor output, you will need to use the AV receiver's front-panel display when changing settings. You can set the receiver's on-screen menu language to English, French, Spanish, German, Italian, Russian, or Chinese. The front-panel display only offers English.
Note: Initial setup requires that the receiver be connected to your TV via HDMI for display of the on-screen menu. Many of the receiver's setup functions can only be found via the on-screen menu and not the front-panel display.
Scene (for One-Touch Start): The RX-A550 features four Scene buttons on the front-panel and remote to make operating the receiver easier. Pressing a Scene button will automatically launch a number of operations that initiate play of the source controlled by that button; such as powering on the receiver, switching to the appropriate source input, and recalling the selected DSP surround mode.
Gapless Playback: Many live and classical albums have no gaps in the music. Gapless playback ensures that there are no pauses between audio files. This provides playback with no interruptions, the way it was meant to be heard. Compatible with WAV, FLAC, AIFF, and ALAC music files via USB or DLNA.
Input Rename & Skip: You can rename each input so the display reflects the actual source; choose from 15 templates or create an original name, up to nine characters. If an input isn't being used, you can hide it from the display so you don't have to scroll past it when you change sources.
Display Dimmer: You can set the brightness of the front-panel display from -4 to 0.
ECO Mode: When the ECO Mode is enabled, you can reduce the receiver' power consumption by keeping the maximum volume, maximum output power, and front display's brightness low. ECO mode reduces power consumption by approximately 20%.
Timers: The receiver offers a programmable Sleep Timer and Auto Power Down function.
- Sleep Timer: The receiver's Sleep Timer function can be set turn the unit automatically off after 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
- Auto Power Down: If you don't operate the receiver or use the remote for an extended period of time, the unit will automatically go into standby mode (Auto Power Down function). The Auto Power Down feature is selectable from 2, 4, 8 or 12 hours.
Memory Guard: This feature is used to prevent accidental changes to the DSP program parameter values and other system settings.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The RX-A550 is equipped with built-in Bluetooth (version 2.1+EDR w/ A2DP) which let you easily enjoy wireless audio playback of stored music and music apps from your Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, Windows Phone/PC, Mac computer/laptop, and other Bluetooth-enabled devices through the AV receiver. Song/artist information will be displayed on your HDMI connected TV's screen and the front-panel of the receiver. You'll still use your Bluetooth-enabled device to control music playback.
- SBC + AAC Codecs: In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the Yamaha receiver offers support of AAC. By supporting AAC, the receiver offers better audio performance of the music streamed from your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
- Compressed Music Enhancer: The Yamaha receiver's Compressed Music Enhancer feature is even optimized for Bluetooth audio transmissions to ensure that your music will have vivid, lively sound quality during wireless playback.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Yamaha AV receiver.
AV Controller App: Download Yamaha's free AV Controller App (from Apple's App Store or GooglePlay) onto your Apple iOS (5.0+) or Android (2.1+) device and turn your mobile device into a WiFi enabled remote control for the Yamaha AV receiver. Your Apple iOS or Android device must be connected to the same home network as the Yamaha AV receiver.
- Basic Remote Functions: The AV Controller App provides the flexibility to control input, volume, mute and power commands from your compatible Apple iOS or Android device.
- DSP Controller: You can use the AV Controller App to adjust DSP soundfields & parameters to your preference to match the type of music/movie or the mood you want to achieve. There are two modes - (1) Basic, which lets you adjust the sound space by simply pinching the screen in-and-out; and (2) Advanced, which allows detailed adjustment of various parameters such as reverb, initial delay, and liveness.
- Internal Content Browsing: Using this app on your Apple iOS or Android device, you can browse and listen to content from all internally available sources; such as Internet Radio, Pandora, Spotify, USB devices, and the AM/FM tuner.
- Wireless Music Streaming: From the app, you can browse music stored on your Apple iOS or Android device and wirelessly transfer the content to the Yamaha A/V receiver for playback.
- Blu-Ray Player: This App not only controls the Yamaha AV receiver, it also controls Yamaha Blu-ray Disc Players, supporting various functions including Play/Pause, Stop, Fast Forward/Rewind, and Previous/Next Track.
AV Setup Guide App: Download Yamaha's AV Setup Guide App (from Apple's App Store or GooglePlay) onto your Apple iOS (6.0+) or Android (4.0+) device for assistance with connecting cables between the Yamaha AV receiver and your source devices as well as AV receiver setup. This app guides you through various settings including speaker connections, TV and source device connections, plus assigning the power amplifier. Once you have completed the setup guide, settings from this app will automatically be copied to your network-connected AV receiver for quick and easy setup.
Remote Control: The receiver comes with an IR remote control for wireless operation of this receiver and other HDMI-connected sources (via HDMI CEC). This newly designed remote control features large buttons for enhanced ease of use.
HDMI-CEC (Consumer Electronics Control): The Yamaha AV receiver supports HDMI-CEC, which synchronizes the operation of this unit with other HDMI-CEC devices when connected via HDMI. When the AV receiver is connected to a HDMI-CEC compatible TV, they will turn ON/OFF together and you can use the TV remote to control the volume of the receiver. HDMI-CEC also provides playback functionality with other components, such as your Blu-ray player. For example, you can use the receiver's remote control to operate player functions like Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next Track, or Stop.
Note: Not all HDMI-CEC compatible components and functions are guaranteed to work.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
3 questions already asked