About the Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A840
The sound remains the same
The sound remains the same
Yamaha has built its reputation on great sound. As they continue to pack more features into their home theater receivers, the great sound they're known for remains a constant. That's what their AVENTAGE-series receivers are all about. The RX-A840 will add excitement and drama to your home theater while making it easier than ever to enjoy a wide range of entertainment. Think far beyond Blu-ray discs and CDs. The 'A840 is made to bring your smartphone, tablet, and computer into your home theater while making everything from MP3s to online videos sound and look their best.
Wi-Fi offers a wide range of wireless music options
If you've never connected a receiver to your wireless home network, you may not realize how much music you're missing out on. Built-in Wi-Fi makes the RX-A840 a snap to integrate with your network. Once you're connected, you can listen to free Pandora® Internet radio as well as free radio streams from hundreds of stations around the world. If you're a subscriber to Spotify®, SiriusXM, or Rhapsody, you can enjoy their seemingly endless music choices. Got a computer or networked hard drive loaded with music? DLNA compatibility allows this receiver to tap into your collection wirelessly, so you never have to touch another CD again. Finally, if you're an Apple® user, AirPlay lets you listen wirelessly from your iPhone®, iPad®, iPod touch®, or a computer running iTunes®.
Stream music wirelessly to the RX-A840 with Yamaha's free AV Controller app for Apple and Android devices.
Take home theater into the next room
One of the benefits of the 'A840's seven-channel amplifier is powering speakers in multiple rooms. There are a total of nine speaker outputs on this receiver. That means you can connect a 7.2-channel system in your home theater and still have two more speaker outputs left over. The receiver can automatically reassign the back surround channels to Zone 2 speakers. The family can enjoy a movie in 5.1-channel surround sound in the home theater while you listen to your digital music library out on the deck. Or, activate Party Mode to play the same song in both zones. There's also a second HDMI output. This is perfect for adding a TV to the kitchen, so you don't have to miss a second of the game just because you need a refill.
Easy control with your smartphone or tablet
What's the best way to control this receiver's many features? Download the free Yamaha AV Controller app to your smartphone or tablet. Available for Apple or Android™, the app offers easy touchscreen control of the receiver's most critical functions — from switching sources and controlling the volume, to multi-zone playback control and selecting an Internet radio station.
Built on sound principles
Excellent sound quality is the guiding principle behind Yamaha's AVENTAGE receivers. Low-jitter PLL circuitry reduces timing jitter from digital sources, for accurate playback and precise stereo imaging. The aluminum front panel and extra center foot on the receiver's base help to further eliminate unwanted resonance and distortion. And the high-quality Burr-Brown digital-to-analog converters decode the latest audio formats with accuracy and detail, so digital sources like Blu-ray discs and high-resolution music files sound their best.
Don't forget about picture quality
Great-sound is only part of the AVENTAGE RX-A840's story. Video upconversion can take analog or HDMI-connected sources as high as 4K for display on Ultra HD TVs. If you haven't yet taken the 4K plunge, you can also choose upscaling to 1080p HD to make old DVDs glisten with new life on your TV. There's also an extra HDMI input on the front panel. Connect a camera or camcorder, or a smartphone or tablet with Mobile High-Definition Link (MHL) compatibility. This allows you to share music, videos, or photos through your home theater with stunning picture quality and rich, full sound.
Power and Processing:
- 7-channel amplifier
- 100 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.09% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding
- video upconversion (up to 1080p and 4K) for analog and HDMI sources
- YPAO (Yamaha Parametric Room Acoustic Optimizer) automatic speaker calibration with Reflected Sound Control and Volume to deliver more accurate surround sound across different listening levels (microphone included)
- Cinema DSP modes add richness and depth to music and movie soundtracks
- Adaptive Dynamic Range Control limits the volume level on sound effects and commercials for more discreet late-night listening
- Dialogue Lift and Level Adjustment for clearer, louder dialogue while watching movies and shows
Digital and Streaming Music Options:
- built-in Wi-Fi for listening to music from a networked PC, free Internet radio, and music services
- Wireless Direct lets you stream music and control the player from a smartphone or tablet without a wireless home network
- includes support for Pandora, Rhapsody, and vTuner (subscription required for some services)
- Spotify Connect lets you play Spotify's streaming music library through the receiver via your smartphone or tablet (requires Spotify app and a premium subscription)
- Apple AirPlay for streaming music from an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch® or computer running iTunes
- HTC Connect™ for wireless music streaming from a compatible HTC smartphone
- front-panel MHL-ready HDMI input for accessing content from select Android smartphones and tablets
- front-panel USB input for connecting an iPod®, iPhone, iPad, or thumb drive
- direct digital connection for iPod or iPhone bypasses the device's digital-to-analog converter for better sound
- plays high-resolution digital music files via USB storage device or a networked computer (up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution)
- DLNA 1.5 certified for streaming music wirelessly from compatible computers and network-attached storage (NAS) drives
- gapless playback of WAV, FLAC and ALAC files from USB thumb drives and networked computers
- dual-room/dual-source output
- powered and line-level stereo audio output for 2nd room (using powered 2nd-room output allows 5.2 home theater in main room)
- Intelligent Amp Assign automatically redirects surround back channels in Main zone to Zone 2 speakers when Zone 2 is powered on
- optical/coaxial digital and HDMI audio sources cannot be output to Zone 2
Audio Performance Features:
- 192kHz/24-bit Burr-Brown digital-to-analog converters for all channels
- Ultra Low Jitter PLL circuitry reduces timing jitter from digital sources, for improved sound quality
- surround back speaker channels re-assignable for bi-amping compatible front left and right speakers
- Pure Direct mode switches off front-panel display, tone controls, and DSP circuitry for cleaner sound with analog audio sources
- Compressed Music Enhancer improves sound quality of MP3s and other digital music files
- detachable power cable
- HDMI 2.0 audio/video switching: 8 in, 2 out (including 1 front-panel input)
- component video switching: 2 in, 1 out
- composite video switching: 5 in, 1 out (including 1 front-panel input)
- digital audio inputs: 2 optical and 2 coaxial
- 5 analog stereo audio inputs (including 1 front-panel input)
- 7.2-channel preamp outputs
- includes outputs for 2 powered subwoofers
- no phono input to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
- Ethernet port for network connection
- front-panel USB port for audio playback from USB flash drives, hard disk drives, and portable music players
- rear-panel USB port for add-on Yamaha YBA-11 Bluetooth adapter
- outputs for 9 speakers (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back, Zone 2 L/R)
- receiver can power a maximum of 7 channels at once
- RS-232C input, remote input/output (IR) and 12 volt-trigger output for use with external controllers
- 4K/60p and 3D video pass-through
- This receiver is not HDCP 2.2-compliant and will not support copy-protected 4K video content.
- free Yamaha AV Controller app lets you use your Apple or Android device as a Wi-Fi® remote
- four SCENE presets for one-touch power-up, source selection and DSP recall
- Audio Return Channel function receives digital audio signals from a compatible HDTV's tuner via HDMI
- full-color on-screen display
- HDMI standby pass-through allows source switching without powering up receiver
- AM/FM tuner
- remote control
- 17-1/8"W x 6-11/16"H x 15-9/16"D (9-1/4"H with Wi-Fi antenna raised)
- weight: 23.4 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # RX-A840BL
What's in the box:
- 7.2ch AV receiver
- 6.5' AC power cord
- Wireless remote control (RAV514)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- YPAO microphone (w/ attached 19' cable terminated by a 3.5mm connector)
- W-LAN antenna
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna (with push-on "F" connector)
- Owner's Manual CD-ROM
- Easy Setup Guide
- Quick Guide for Multi-Zone
- Important Safety Instructions
- Spotify brochure
- Warranty Information
- On-line Product Registration Information
- "Yamaha Worldwide Representative Offices" note
Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A840 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A840
Features & specs
Aventage Series: The Aventage line of Yamaha AV receivers is based on the audio design concept of providing a massive, full-bodied sound for movie sound effects and the accurate reproduction of music sources. By expertly harmonizing traditional and advanced technologies, every factor that affects sound quality, from materials & parts construction to circuitry layout, vibration damping, and "fine-tuning" the sound, is handled with no other thought than to achieve the best possible audio quality. As a result, every Aventage receiver has the ability to reproduce the most subtle details of high-definition sound, so that listeners can enjoy a truly high-class sound studio experience at home.
- High Drive Amp Technology: A fully discrete power amplifier helps maximize sound and minimize distortion of the receiver. The Yamaha RX-A840 AV Receiver is equipped with a 7-channel amplifier rated at 100 watts (into 8-ohms, at 20-20kHz, with 0.09% THD, driving 2 channels) which provides high dynamic power with low-impedance drive capability.
- High Purity Pre-Amplification: The Yamaha RX-A840 uses high quality, audio-grade Burr-Brown 192kHz/24-bit digital-to-analog converters for all channels to maximize sound quality. The AV receiver also utilizes low-jitter PLL circuitry to help optimize sound imaging. The result is a more dynamic sound with greater detail and less distortion.
- Aluminum Front Panel: The aluminum front panel is used to effectively shield sensitive circuitry from external noise and electronic energy generated by dimmer switches, fluorescent lighting, video monitors and so on. This ensures optimum sonic performance in the widest range of installation environments.
- A.R.T.: The A.R.T. (Anti-Resonance Technology) Wedge 5th foot is in the center of the unit. It dampens vibrations from the power transformer, power transistors and heat sinks, as well as vibrations that might be caused by the sound from the speakers. A.R.T. Wedge 5th foot helps ensure that vibrations do not affect the sound quality. The AV receiver also employs anti-vibration heatsinks to suppress vibration from transistors and sound pressure.
- Independent Power Supplies: Independent power supplies are used for the receiver's analog and digital circuitry to prevent digital noise from affecting analog circuitry. These power supplies are highly efficient and result in less power consumption in standby mode.
Intelligent Amplifier Assignment: Intelligent Amp Assignment automatically assigns amplifier channels of the Yamaha AV receiver to certain speakers depending on what functions are selected. You can select from a variety of amplifier configurations.
- Basic: In this configuration, up to nine speakers (Front L/R, Front Presence L/R, Center, Surround L/R, & Surround Back L/R) can be connected to the AV receiver. When Cinema DSP 3D is on, the two Front Presence speakers will be powered and not the two surround back speakers. When Cinema DSP 3D is off, this situation is reversed. Bi-amp and Zone 2 speakers are not available in this mode
- 5ch Bi-Amp: Up to five speakers (Front L/R, Center, & Surround L/R) can be connected to the AV receiver. The Surround Back amplifier channels of the AV receiver are reassigned to bi-amp the front speakers. A bi-amplification connection uses two amplifiers for one speaker. One amplifier is connected to the woofer section of a loudspeaker while the other is connected to the combined midrange and tweeter section. With this arrangement each amplifier operates over a limited frequency range, making its job easier. Zone 2 and Front Presence speaker are not available in this mode.
- 7ch + Zone 2: In this configuration, up to nine speakers (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R, and Zone 2) can be connected to the AV receiver. When Zone 2 is off, all seven channels will be used in the Main Zone. However, when Zone 2 is on, power to the two surround back channels will be directed to the two speakers in Zone 2 and the Main Zone will receive five channels of power. The same or different analog input sources/volume settings can be applied to both zones. Bi-amp and Front Presence speakers are not available in this mode.
YPAO Automatic System Calibration: The Yamaha Parametric Room Acoustic Optimizer (YPAO) system uses a small microphone and sophisticated equalization to automatically set the best sound for any room, no matter where the speakers are. First, it checks the speaker connections and phase of each speaker. Then it sends out tones which are captured by the microphone to analyze the room acoustics and sets a variety of parameters, such as the speaker size, the distance of the speakers, and even the sound pressure level; until it achieves the best sound conditions for your room. Up to 8 listening position measurements are taken to optimize the surround effect for a broad area. Additional YPAO technologies include:
- EQ: You can select between a varietyYPAO EQ result settings to better suit your speaker setup - Natural (adjusts all speaker to a natural sound; useful when the flat setting sounds too bright), Flat (use when all the speakers in the system have similar sound characteristics), Front (EQs the center and rear speakers to sound like the front; useful when your front speakers are better than the others in the system), Through (does not use the YPAO EQ), or Manual (lets you adjust EQ for each channel manually).
- R.S.C (Reflected Sound Control): The receiver also employs YPAO's Reflected Sound Control (RSC) to correct early reflections for studio-quality sound.
- DSP Effect Normalization: In addition, YPAO provides DSP Effect Normalization, which varies the CINEMA DSP parameters according to the reflected sounds.
- YPAO Volume: Human ears have less sensitivity to high and low frequencies, especially at lower volumes. YPAO Volume applies loudness EQ correction to automatically adjust high and low frequency levels as volume changes. Using the YPAO measurement results, EQ correction is optimized to your system settings and listening environment.
Note: You can also choose to manually adjust the AV receiver's speaker setup settings.
Multi-Channel Decoding Formats: The Yamaha RX-A840 supports the following multi-channel (Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Pro Logic) decoding formats.
- Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD
- DTS: DTS, DTS-ES, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS Express, DTS 96/24, DTS Neo: 6
- Dolby Pro Logic: Dolby Pro Logic II, Dolby Pro Logic IIx
Note: Dolby Digital and DTS listening modes can only be selected if your audio source is connected to the A/V receiver via a digital audio connection (HDMI, optical, or coaxial). To enjoy true 7.1ch Dolby Digital TrueHD and DTS-HD surround sound, the receiver must be connected to your Blu-ray player via HDMI.
Surround Parameters: The Yamaha AV receiver offers the following Dolby Pro Logic II and DTS NEO:6 audio adjustments.
- Dolby Pro Logic II Settings: You can adjust the following parameters in Pro Logic II Music modes: Panorama (sends stereo signals to the surround speakers as well as the front speakers for a wraparound effect), Dimension (adjusts the soundfield either towards the front or towards the rear of the room), and Center Width (moves the center channel output completely towards the center speaker or towards the front left and right speakers).
- Center Image (DTS NEO: 6 Music): This parameter adjusts the front left and right channel output relative to the center channel to make the center channel more or less dominant as necessary.
Cinema DSP Soundfields: Conventional multichannel audio reproduction systems base their sound on Dolby Digital and DTS decoding, using matrix and steering technologies to create surround sound effects. Yamaha Cinema DSP is much more advanced, actually creating richly realized independent soundfields that envelop you in an unmatched surround sound experience. With dialogue, music and effects ideally located in these separate soundfields, you will hear sound with accurate placement, smooth movement, exceptional clarity and richness, and realistic presence. It will seem as if the walls of your room have disappeared and you are in the middle of your own immense theater. The AV receiver offers 17 Cinema DSP programs for movies, music, and games.
- Movie Soundfields: Standard, Spectacle, Sci-Fi, Adventure, Drama, Mono Movie, Sports, Action Game, Role Playing Game
- Music Soundfields: Hall Munich, Hall in Vienna, Chamber, Cellar club, The Roxy Theater, The Bottom Line, Music Video, 5/7ch Stereo
Note: You can change the receiver's Cinema DSP effect level (level of the soundfield effect to be added); you can adjust the level of the soundfield effect from -6 dB to +3 dB from the receiver or remote control. The AV Controller App for Apple iOS and Android provides even greater adjustment of Cinema DSP soundfields.
Cinema DSP Modes: The Yamaha RX-A840 AV receiver offers proprietary Yamaha Cinema modes so you can enjoy your movies and music even more in your home; regardless if you are using 5.1 speaker setup, only have a two-channel speaker system, or listening through headphones.
- Cinema DSP 3D: The actually measured soundfield data in recorded soundtracks contain the information of the height of the sound images. CINEMA DSP 3D mode achieves the reproduction of the accurate height of theses sound images so that it can create the accurate and intensive stereoscopic soundfield in your listening room. The receiver achieves Cinema DSP 3D through its virtual Presence Speaker mode.
- Virtual Cinema DSP: Virtual Cinema DSP is an algorithm that allows you to enjoy DSP soundfield surround effects while using a minimal two-speaker system. Virtual Cinema DSP lets you enjoy the effects of Cinema DSP surround sound without using surround speakers (handy for use in custom installations where some rooms don't have surround speakers). It can be used with the front/center speakers or even with just the two front left and right speakers. This unit will switch to virtual Cinema DSP mode automatically when surround speakers are unavailable.
- Virtual Cinema Front: With Virtual Cinema Front, you will enjoy virtual 5-channel surround sound with higher quality and resolution by installing surround speakers at the front. You get more flexibility to arrange your speakers inside the room, along with easy enjoyment of high quality surround sound.
- Silent Cinema: Silent Cinema makes it possible to hear large-scale surround sound through ordinary headphones. This is a variation of Cinema DSP technology that Yamaha developed to let you listen in private to movies and other multi-channel sources for hours without listening fatigue.
CINEMA DSP Parameters: You can adjust the following parameters of the Cinema DSP modes.
- DSP Level: You can change the receiver's CINEMA DSP effect level (level of the soundfield effect to be added). You can adjust the level of the soundfield effect from -6 dB to +3 dB.
- Delay: Adjusts the delay between the direct sound and the presence soundfield (1-99ms), surround soundfield (1-49ms), and surround back soundfield (1-49ms).
- Room Size: Adjusts the broadening effect (0.1-2.0) of the presence soundfield, surround soundfield, and the surround back sound field.
- Liveness: Adjusts the loss (0-10) of the presence soundfield, surround back soundfield, and surround back soundfield.
- Reverb: Adjusts the delay time of the rear reverberant sound (1.0-5.0s), the delay between the direct sound and rear reverberant sound (0-250ms), and the volume of the reverberant sound (0-100%).
HiFi Sound Modes: The Yamaha RX-A840 offers two HiFi audio modes which bypass the receiver's tone & DSP processing for higher sound quality performance. These HiFi sound modes lets you play back input sources without any soundfield effect processing. When either of theses modes are enabled, each speaker produces its own channel audio signal (without soundfield processing). When playing back 2-channle sources, such as a CD player, stereo sound is heard from the front speakers. When playing back multichannel sources, the receiver produces unprocessed multichannel surround sound.
- Straight: 2-channel stereo sources are output from only the front left and right speakers, while multi-channel sources are decoded straight into the appropriate channels without any additional tone or DSP processing.
- Pure Direct: Turns off the surround and tone circuitry, and dims the front-panel display, allowing sources to bypass the decoders and DSP processors of this unit so you can enjoy pure hi-fi sound from 2-channel or multi-channel sources. During Pure Direct playback no sound is output from the subwoofer.
Compressed Music Enhancer: Yamaha employs sophisticated digital signal processing with exclusive algorithms to enable playback that improves the performance of compressed music formats, including MP3, WMA, and AAC. With the Compressed Music Enhancer, highs and especially lows are richer and smoother, bringing music back to life to be as close to the original as possible.
Dialogue Lift & Level Adjustment: Dialogue Lift raises the sound of dialogue from the center speaker to a position in the center of the screen. Newly developed virtual dialogue lift achieves dialogue lift function even without the need for presence speakers. Dialogue Level Adjustment lets you control the volume of the vocal sound, so you hear movie dialogue and music vocals at the ideal level for clear, comfortable listening.
Dynamic Range Control: The Yamaha RX-A840 employs two Dynamic Range Control functions.
- Adaptive DRC: Adaptive DRC automatically adjusts the dynamic range of the sound according to the volume level. This ensures that you hear clear dialog, vocals, and all sound effects at comfortable levels. There is no need to adjust the volume level as you listen; everything from whispers to big explosions will be heard clearly and comfortably at the same volume setting. It also tones down loud TV commercials and is ideal for low-volume, late-night listening when you do not want to disturb others.
- Dynamic Range: The amount of dynamic range compression applied to bitstream signals is adjustable; Min/Auto is suitable for low volume listening, Standard is typical for home use, and Max doesn't compress the dynamic range at all.
Bass Management: The Yamaha RX-A840 AV receiver provides the following Bass Management settings.
- Bass & Treble: You can adjust the balance of the high-frequency range (Treble) and low-frequency range (Bass) of sounds output from the receiver' front left and right speakers to obtain a desired tone. You can independently adjust the bass (50Hz) and treble (20kHz) from -6dB to +6dB in 0.5 dB increments. The tone control of the speakers or headphones can be set separately.
- Extra Bass: You can select whether to play front channel low-frequencies through either of the front speaker or the subwoofer, or through both the subwoofer and front speakers.
- Subwoofer Trim: The Subwoofer Trim control enhances the low frequencies by avoiding overlap with the front speaker output. This will result in a cleaner, more focused sound stage while providing a seamless frequency response. When subwoofer frequency overlap occurs in conventional systems, the overall sound is "pushed" toward the subwoofer. Subwoofer Trim takes care of this by separating the low subwoofer frequencies cleanly, thus stabilizing the front stage while providing a well-balanced enhanced bass sound.
Volume Setup: The Yamaha RX-A840 allows you to customize the receiver's volume levels.
- Max Volume Adjustment: Use this feature to set the receiver's maximum volume level. This feature is useful to avoid turning the volume too loud by mistake. You can set the Max Volume from -30 dB to +15 dB in 5 dB steps, or to +16.5 dB (full volume range is -80 dB to +16.5 dB).
- Initial Volume Setting: Use this feature to set the volume level when the power is turned on. You can choose between Off (same as the volume when the unit was turned off), Mute, and -80 dB to + 16.5 dB in increments of 0.5 dB.
- Volume Trim: Use this feature to adjust the volume level of each input. This is useful to balance the level of each input to avoid sudden changes in volume when switching between input sources. The range is from -6dB to +6dB in 0.5dB increments.
Note: You can choose to display the "Relative" volume scale (-80 to +16dB) or an "Absolute" volume scale (0 to 97).
Audio Inputs/Outputs: The Yamaha RX-A840 offers a variety of analog and digital audio inputs/outputs.
- Digital Inputs: The Yamaha AV receiver is equipped with two optical (toslink) digital inputs and two coaxial (RCA) digital inputs capable of handling 2.0-5.1ch/32-96kHz audio.
- Stereo RCA Jacks: The receiver is also equipped with five stereo RCA analog audio inputs (4 rear/1 front), stereo RCA analog audio record output, and stereo RCA Zone 2 output.
- Speaker Terminals: The receiver has binding post terminals for the Front, Center, Surround, and Surround Back/Bi-Amp speaker terminals. The Zone 2/Presence speakers terminals are spring-clip. The binding posts can accept bare wire, pin connectors, and single banana plugs. These terminals are spaced too far apart for dual banana plugs and a collar surrounding them prevents the use of spade connectors. The spring-clip terminals only accept bare wire or pin-connector. You can select 8 ohms or 6 ohms in the menu depending on your speaker application. The amplifier supports 4- to 8-ohm Front speakers, and 6- to 8-ohm Center and Surround speakers.
- 7.2ch Preamp Outputs: The A/V receiver features 7.2-channel pre-amp outputs (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R, and Dual Subs) for connection to external power amplifiers. The dual sub outputs are not discrete.
- Headphone Jack: The Yamaha RX-A840 is equipped with a front-panel 1/4" headphone jack for connecting a set of headphone, so you can listen to your music privately. Connecting a set of headphones automatically mutes the receiver's speaker outputs. Sound effects applied during playback can also be heard through the headphones.
HDMI 2.0: The Yamaha RX-A840 AV receiver is fitted with eight HDMI 2.0 (7 rear/1 front) inputs and two HDMI 2.0 outputs to deliver crystal-clear, all-digital audio and video signals. The two HDMI outputs are parallel, so the same audio/video signal is output through both and can be used simultaneously. The HDMI 2.0 jacks support 4K/60Hz and 1080p video signals; as well as 3D video and ARC functionality. Deep Color (30/36 bit), x.v.Color, and auto Lip-Sync compensation is also supported via HDMI. The AV receiver's HDMI jacks support 2-channel and multi-channel linear PCM (up to 8-channel) and Bitstream (Dolby Digital, DTS, etc) digital audio formats.
- 4K/60Hz Pass Through: The AV receiver supports 4K Ultra HD 50 Hz/60 Hz signal pass-through to output motion-smooth ultra high-definition videos. Via a future firmware update (not yet available), it will also support RGB, YCbCr 4:4:4, YCbCr 4:2:2 as well as YCbCr 4:2:0 video signal for more vibrant and lifelike images.
- 3D Ready: The Yamaha RX-A840 AV receiver supports 3D HDMI pass-through from connected 3D-compatible Blu-ray, games and broadcast devices to 3D-compatible HDTVs (all 3D components must be connected via HDMI). 3D provides a more engaging audio and video consumer experience. Note that special eyewear may be required for viewing 3D content
- ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to your receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
- Deep/x.v.Color Support: The AV receiver supports Deep Color and x.v.Color content, which can display a larger color range than standard-definition schemes. The result is a more lifelike, vibrant picture
- LipSync: This function adjusts the delay between audio and video output. You can do this manually or have the receiver set the LipSync function automatically. When connected to a TV via HDMI the receiver automatically adjusts audio output timing (0-500ms) if the TV supports an automatic LipSync function. You can also manually delay the sound output up to 500ms to synchronize it with the video image.
Note: The AV receiver's HDMI 2.0 jacks do not support the latest HDCP 2.2 copyright protection for 4K ultra-HD content, so it will not support 4K content from satellite/cable providers, online video services, and Blu-ray disc which are copyright protected with HDCP 2.2.
4K Video Upscaling: The Yamaha RX-A840 is capable of outstanding upscaling and i/p conversion quality. This AV Receiver will upscale video signals from analog (480i only)-to-HDMI and HDMI-to-HDMI, up to 4K. This means a much better picture with HDTVs capable of 720p, 1080i, 1080p, or 4K resolution.
Front-Panel HDMI/MHL Port: One of the receiver's six HDMI inputs is on the front-panel and MHL compatible. This MHL compatible HDMI port provides easy, direct connection of MHL compatible smartphones, like Android. Playback of up to 1080p video and multi-channel audio from the phone is supported. The receiver will also charge (5V/1A) your connected phone. Play, Stop, and other basic operations can be controlled from the AV receiver's remote control.
HDMI Standby Through Mode: When the RX-A840 is in standby mode (power off), the Standby Through feature allows HDMI source signals to pass through the receiver to the TV. The HDMI input can be changed using the remote control. So, there's not need to turn on the A/V receiver in order to switch HDMI sources.
Analog Video: The RX-A840 AV receiver offers both composite and component analog video jacks.
- Component Video: The RX-A840 offers two component video inputs and one component video monitor output. These jacks have a frequency response of 5 Hz to 60 MHz and will pass High Definition video sources up to 1080p.
- Composite: The receiver features five composite video inputs (4 rear/1 front), one composite video record output, and one composite video monitor output.
Background Video: The Background Video feature allows you to watch a video source while listening to a different audio source. With the RX-A840, you can select any video input, and listen to AM/FM radio or select songs from a USB device or Network source at the same time.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Yamaha AV receiver is fitted with a RJ-45 Ethernet (LAN) port to connect the receiver to your home network. The unit also offers built-in WiFi (IEEE 802.11 b/g; 2.4GHz) for a wireless network connection; WPS, WEP, WPA-PSK (TKIP), WPA-PSK (AES), WPA2-PSK (AES) security protection is supported. Either network connection gives the receiver access to your DLNA music server and various online music services. Wireless network setup can be done via WPS button, Access Point Scan, Manual Setting, PIN Code, or even through your Apple iOS device (5.0+).
Internet Radio: The Yamaha RX-A840's network connection provides access to Pandora, Spotify, SiriusXM, Rhapsody, and vTuner Internet Radio online music services. You can control the Internet Radio services from the AV receiver's remote control and on-screen menu (via HDMI). The receiver will display station name, album name, song title, and elapsed time on your HDMI-connected television.
|Pandora||Pandora is free, personalized radio that plays music and comedy you'll love. Just start with the name of one of your favorite artists, songs, comedians or composers and Pandora will create a custom station that plays similar tracks. You can also rate (thumbs up/thumbs down) songs as they play, and Pandora will adapt stations to your feedback. You can even bookmark up to 100 stations and easily switch between favorites.|
|Spotify||Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists. A Spotify Premium subscription is required.|
|SiriusXM||Requires firmware update. SiriusXM Internet Radio lets you listen to over 120 channels of commercial-free music, talk radio, news, sports, entertainment, and more.|
|Rhapsody||Rhapsody is a streaming music subscription service (starting a $10 per month) that allows you to play the full-length songs you choose on demand from a collection of over 10 million songs, without ads and without having to purchase or download the music.|
|vTuner||You can also listen to Internet radio stations using the vTuner Internet Radio Station database service particularly customized for this unit, providing a database of numerous radio stations around the world. You can search for Internet Radio stations by Location, Genre, New, Popular, or Podcast.|
DLNA + WiFi Direct: The Yamaha RX-A840 AV receiver supports music streaming from WiFi-enabled mobile devices (via WiFi Direct) and DLNA certified devices (via your home network). Supported music files include; MP3 (up to 48 kHz), WMA (up to 48 kHz), AAC (up to 48 kHz), ALAC (up to 96 kHz), WAV (up to 192 kHz), and FLAC (up to 192 kHz).
- WiFi Direct: When using WiFi Direct, you can connect directly with other WiFi-enabled devices without using a wireless router. You'll be able to wirelessly stream a variety of music files to the Yamaha receiver without connecting to your home network. WiFi Direct completely bypasses your WiFi access point/router, so it's easy to set up. You'll continue to navigate your music and view song/artist information from your mobile device.
- DLNA Certified: The RX-A840 is DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5 and Windows 7/8 compliant for audio networking. This means it's easier for you to access and enjoy digital music stored on your PC over your home network. You can use your PC to play high-bit rate music content through your audio system, or use the RX-A840 to browse and play music files on your hard drive. You can control playback of your streamed audio files from the AV receiver's remote control. The receiver also supports ID3-Tag and META tag information so song title, artist name, and album name can be displayed from the unit's on-screen menu (via HDMI). The AV receiver supports the following DLNA music servers - (1) PC with Windows Media Player 11 or later installed, (2) PC with DLNA/UPnP Certificate server software installed, (3) NAS with DLNA/UPnP certification.
Spotify & HTC Connect: The Yamaha RX-A840 supports Spotify & HTC Connect wireless music streaming from your compatible smartphone.
- Spotify Connect: With the Spotify app on your Apple iOS or Android smartphone, you've got instant access to millions of songs. And now you can stream those same songs from your smartphone to the Yamaha AV receiver by using Spotify Connect; simply hit play on the app to start streaming music. What's more, when you've been listening to Spotify on your smartphone outside and come inside, the song immediately begins to stream to the receiver for uninterrupted music enjoyment. You can also personalize playlists and receive phone calls while listening to music. The Spotify app for Apple iOS/Android devices and a premium account are required.
- HTC Connect: HTC Connect lets you stream MP3 and AAC music files to the Yamaha AV receiver wirelessly from a compatible HTC Connect mobile device. You don't need a separate app because HTC Connect is built right into your HTC smartphone. Simply swiping the HTC smartphone screen starts music output to the AV receiver, from the HTC device's stored music library or online music apps. Click here for HTC Connected compatible smartphones.
AM/FM Tuner: The Yamaha RX-A840 AV receiver features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, and preset tuning. The RX-A840 lets you store up to 40 AM/FM station presets. This can be done manually or automatically (auto-preset tuning). You can set this receiver to automatically match FM broadcast frequencies in stereo, or convert the frequency to monaural for weaker stations. An indoor FM wire antenna and AM loop antenna are included with the receiver.
Web Control: When connected to your network (with Internet connection), you can control the Yamaha AV receiver with the web control screen displayed in your PC's web browser. You'll be able to control functions such as, Power On/Off & Volume. Internet Explorer 9.x, 10.x, 11.x is recommended for web browser.
Firmware Updates: New firmware will be released for the purpose of additional features or product improvements. Firmware updates can be downloaded from the Yamaha website. If this unit is connected to the Internet, the receiver will indicate when a new firmware version is available and you can download the firmware via the network connection. Firmware updates normally take approximately 20 minutes or longer. The test A/V receiver contained firmware version 1.20 (as of 7/29/2014). Check Yamaha's Support Download Site for the most recent firmware updates.
USB Port: This AV receiver is equipped with a front-panel USB (type-A) port that allows you to enjoy a variety of music files stored on a USB mass storage class memory device; such as select Android smartphones (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only), portable MP3 players, or USB thumbdrives (not compatible with USB HDDs). Your USB mass storage class device must be formatted in FAT 16 or FAT32 .You can use the receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI) and remote control to navigate your stored music files on your connected USB memory device. USB portable audio players that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the AV receiver's USB port (5V/2.1A); even in standby mode. Compatible music files include:
- MP3 (up to 48 kHz)
- WMA (up to 48 kHz)
- AAC (up to 48 kHz)
- ALAC (up to 96 kHz)
- WAV (up to 192 kHz)
- FLAC (up to 192 kHz)
Note: While listening to a song from a USB device, you can view a favorite video or photo from the receiver's monitor output.
iPod/iPhone Connectivity: The Yamaha RX-A840 offers wired (via USB) and wireless (via AirPlay) connectivity for your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad. You can even watch video from your Apple device via the receiver's front-panel HDMI input.
- AirPlay: AirPlay lets you stream your favorite songs directly from your Apple iOS (4.3.3+) device or from your iTunes (10.2.2+) library on your Windows PC or Mac computer to the AV receiver, over your home's wireless network connection. From your Apple iOS device you are able to stream stored music on your device, downloaded music apps, and music on your iCloud to the AV receiver. From your Windows or Mac you can stream your stored iTunes music library on your computer to the AV receiver; you can even download Apple's free Remote App onto your compatible iOS device to browse and control playback functions of the the music stored in your iTunes music library on your computer that is being streamed to the AV receiver. With AirPlay you also get to see song/artist information and album art via the receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI).
- USB Direct: The USB (type-A) port on the front-panel provides convenient connection for your iPod/iPhone so you can listen to your stored music and music apps through the Yamaha AV receiver. The iPod/iPhone USB digital connection means that the digital audio signal from your iPod/iPhone is transmitted directly to the system, minimizing noise interference and allowing use of the receiver's DAC, not the DAC in your iPod/iPhone. This results in more precise sound reproduction. You can navigate your iPod/iPhone's music via the receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI) and remote control, or continue to use your iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen. You can browse your iPod/iPhone's stored music content via Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Genre, or Composer. You can also control Repeat & Shuffle functions. Basic playback functions (such as Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track) for music apps can also be controlled by the AV receiver's remote. Song/artist information and Album Art from stored music and music apps on your iPod/iPhone will display on your connected TV (via HDMI) or the unit's front-panel display.
- HDMI Video: You can also view video from stored movies and movie apps from select iPods, iPhone, and iPads by connecting your Apple device to the AV receiver's front-panel USB and HDMI input. Use the Apple Lightning-to-Digital AV Adapter (472LT2HDMI sold separately), the Apple Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your device, and a HDMI cable (sold separately) to connect your Lightning connector iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad to the AV receiver. Use the Apple Dock-to-Digital AV Adapter (47230PHDMI, sold separately), the Apple Dock-to-USB cable that came with your device, and a HDMI cable (sold separately) to connect your iPod touch (4th gen), iPhone 4/4S, or iPad (1/2/3). Using the HDMI input, video from your iPod/iPhone/iPad can only be navigated from your Apple device's clickwheel or touchscreen (select Simple mode on receiver).
Note: Your Apple device's battery will be charged while connected to the receiver's front-panel USB port (max. 2.1A).
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Yamaha AV receiver supports the following Apple devices and functionalities (as of 1/15/2015):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Connector Type||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|USB||AirPlay||Audio||Video||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Album Art||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Advanced On-Screen Menu: The RX-A840 offers an on-screen (GUI) menu system through its HDMI output. The simple on-screen display combines text and graphics that make setup and other operations extremely easy. If your TV is connected to the composite video or component video monitor output, you will need to use the AV receiver's front-panel display when changing settings. You can set the receiver's on-screen menu language to English, French, Spanish, German, Russian, or Chinese.
Scene (for One-Touch Start): The RX-A840 features four Scene buttons on the front-panel and remote to make operating the receiver easier. Pressing a Scene button will automatically launch a number of operations that initiate play of the source controlled by that button; such as powering on the receiver, switching to the appropriate source input, and recalling the selected DSP surround mode.
Multi-Zone: The Yamaha RX-A840 offers Zone 2, Party Mode, and HDMI Zone B functionality for playback of audio (HDMI Zone B also supports video) in two separate rooms of your home.
- Zone 2: The Zone 2 feature allows you to set this
receiver to reproduce separate input sources in the main zone and the second
zone (Zone 2). The receiver has dedicated stereo RCA outputs for Zone 2, or
the built-in amplifier can be configured to power speakers in the second
zone connected to the Extra Speaker terminals. By using the RCA outputs on
the AV receiver you can connect an external receiver or integrated amplifier
in a second room, allowing you to listen to 7.1ch surround in the main room
and play a different stereo audio source in another room of your home. The
volume of Zone 2 is controlled by your optional integrated amp. By using the
speaker-level outputs on the AV receiver you can directly connect a
secondary pair of speakers in another room of your home, allowing you to
listen to 5.1 surround sound in your main room and play a different stereo
audio source in the other room. When the receiver is powering speakers in
Zone 2, the surround back speakers in the main room are turned off (limiting
you to 5.1ch in the main room). The volume of Zone 2 is controlled by the AV
- Compatible Zone Sources: You can select the
following input sources for Zone 2.
- Analog Audio Inputs
- AM/FM Tuner (you cannot select different AM/FM radio stations for each zone)
- USB (including iPod/iPhone) & AirPlay
- Internet Radio (different network sources cannot be played back in multiple zones at the same time)
- DLNA/Media Player contents
- Incompatible Zone Sources: Optical/coaxial digital and HDMI audio sources are not output to Zone 2. You cannot output any video signal to Zone 2. Unfortunately, you cannot select USB and Network source exclusively for each Zone. For example, if you select "Network Server" for Zone 2 when "USB" is selected for the Main Zone, the input source in the Main Zone also switches to "Network Server".
- Compatible Zone Sources: You can select the following input sources for Zone 2.
- Party Mode: The Party Mode allows you to enjoy the AV receiver's Main Zone audio source in Zone 2, simultaneously (regardless of input audio signal types - analog or digital). During the party mode, stereo playback is automatically selected for all zones. The Main Zone & Zone 2's volume can be adjusted independently. Utilize this function when you want to play back an audio source as background music in two rooms of your home.
- HDMI Zone B: The receiver's second HDMI monitor output lets you send the same HDMI audio/video input signal that is being played in the main zone to a second zone (video is output at the resolution supported by both TVs).
Gapless Playback: Many live and classical albums have no gaps in the music. Gapless playback ensures that there are no pauses between audio files. This provides playback with no interruptions, the way it was meant to be heard. Compatible with WAV, FLAC, and ALAC music files via USB or DLNA.
Input Rename: You can rename each input so the display reflects the actual source; choose from 15 templates or create an original name, up to nine characters.
Display Dimmer: You can set the brightness of the front-panel display from -4 to 0.
ECO Mode: When the ECO Mode is enabled, you can reduce the receiver' power consumption by keeping the maximum volume, maximum output power, and front display's brightness low. ECO mode reduces power consumption by approximately 20%.
Timers: The receiver offers a programmable Sleep Timer and Auto Power Down function.
- Sleep Timer: The receiver's Sleep Timer function can be set turn the unit automatically off after 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
- Auto Power Down: If you don't operate the receiver or use the remote for an extended period of time, the unit will automatically go into standby mode (Auto Power Down function). The Auto Power Down feature is selectable from 2, 4, 8 or 12 hours.
Memory Guard: This feature is used to prevent accidental changes to the DSP program parameter values and other system settings.
IR Remote w/ HDMI-CEC: The receiver comes with an IR remote control for wireless operation of this receiver and other HDMI-connected sources (via HDMI-CEC). HDMI-CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) synchronizes the operation of this unit with other HDMI-CEC devices when connected via HDMI. When the AV receiver is connected to a HDMI-CEC compatible TV, they will turn ON/OFF together and you can use the TV remote to control the volume of the receiver. HDMI-CEC also provides playback functionality with other components, such as your Blu-ray player. For example, you can use the receiver's remote control to operate player functions like Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next Track, or Stop.
Note: Not all HDMI-CEC compatible components and functions are guaranteed to work.
AV Controller App: Download Yamaha's free AV Controller App (from Apple's App Store or GooglePlay) onto your Apple iOS (5.0+) or Android (2.1+) device and turn your mobile device into a Wi-Fi enabled remote control for the Yamaha AV receiver. Your Apple iOS or Android device must be connected to the same home network as the Yamaha AV receiver.
- Basic Remote Functions: The AV Controller App provides the flexibility to control input, volume, mute and power commands from your compatible Apple iOS or Android device.
- DSP Controller: You can use the AV Controller App to adjust DSP soundfields & parameters to your preference to match the type of music/movie or the mood you want to achieve. There are two modes - (1) Basic, which lets you adjust the sound space by simply pinching the screen in-and-out; and (2) Advanced, which allows detailed adjustment of various parameters such as reverb, initial delay, and liveness.
- Internal Content Browsing: Using this app on your Apple iOS or Android device, you can browse and listen to content from all internally available sources; such as Internet Radio, Pandora, Spotify, USB devices, and the AM/FM tuner.
- Wireless Music Streaming: From the app, you can browse music stored on your Apple iOS or Android device and wirelessly transfer the content to the Yamaha A/V receiver for playback.
- Zone Control: You can control power on/off, source selection, volume and other functions of Zone 2. Customization such as changing zone icon and renaming zone is also supported.
- Blu-Ray Player: This App not only controls the Yamaha AV receiver, it also controls Yamaha Blu-ray Disc Players, supporting various functions including Play/Pause, Stop, Fast Forward/Rewind, and Previous/Next Track.
AV Setup Guide App: Download Yamaha's AV Setup Guide App (from Apple's App Store or GooglePlay) onto your Apple iPad (iOS 6.0+) or Android tablet (OS 4.0+) for assistance with connecting cables between the Yamaha AV receiver and your source devices as well as AV receiver setup. This app guides you through various settings including speaker connections, TV and source device connections, plus assigning the power amplifier. Once you have completed the setup guide, settings from this app will automatically be copied to your network-connected AV receiver for quick and easy setup.
Remote Connections: The RX-A840 offers a variety of remote connections.
- 12V Trigger Output: The RX-A840 has a programmable minijack output to send a 12-Volt DC turn-on signal to another component that accepts a 12V trigger, such as a power amplifier or motorized projection screen. The trigger is programmed either to work with a specific zone (main room or Zone2) or a specific source.
- Remote Jacks: The receiver has remote input and remote output minijack terminals for use with external IR receivers and compatible Yamaha components.
- RS-232C Port: The AV receiver's RS-232C port provides seamless integration with a wide range of third-party home automation control systems.
Add-on Bluetooth Audio Receiver: The Yamaha YBA-11 Bluetooth Audio Receiver (022YBA11, sold separately) can be used to wirelessly connect your Bluetooth-enabled mobile devices to the Yamaha AV receiver. The YBA-11 connects to the digital coaxial audio input on the back of the Yamaha AV receiver and is powered by the rear-panel DC Out/USB type-A port (5V/0.5A) of the receiver.
The Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A840 replaces these items
- 7-channel amplifier; 100 watts per channel with 2 channels driven
- built-in Apple AirPlay® for wireless playback of music from iTunes® and Apple devices
- dual zone/dual source output with two HDMI outputs
5 questions already asked