About the Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A850
Sounds like a winner
Sounds like a winner
Here's another receiver from Yamaha's AVENTAGE line that our savvy home theater shoppers are sure to appreciate. Accurate sound and picture quality, multi-room entertainment, and easy app-based wireless operation: the RX-A850 checks off all of these boxes and more. With support for 4K video, it works with the latest Ultra HD TVs. It also supports playback of high-resolution music files, and Yamaha's Compressed Music Enhancer revitalizes lower-resolution music files, so you'll enjoy rich detail in all of your music. Seamless integration with your phone or tablet opens the door to a comprehensive array of wireless music options ensuring you're never at a loss for great music.
Take your home theater above and beyond with Dolby Atmos
A technology that just made its debut in home theater receivers last year, Dolby Atmos creates the most lifelike, captivating surround sound of any audio format we've heard to date. If you're watching a plane take off onscreen, your ears will follow it down the runway along with your eyes, and as it roars directly overhead you might swear your hair is blowing back. The RX-A850 supports a 5.1.2 Atmos setup. If you're ready to explore this new dimension in home theater sound, you'll just need to add a pair of in-ceiling speakers to your five-channel system, or pick up a pair of Atmos enabled upward-firing speakers to project sound off your ceiling and create the height effects that make an Atmos system so riveting.
Pick up good vibrations only
Yamaha builds their AVENTAGE series receivers with custom-designed parts that use anti-resonance technology to reduce distortion caused by vibration. The RX-A850's rigid H-shaped frame provides stability to reduce chassis vibration almost completely. A specially designed fifth foot at the center of the receiver's base helps dampen internal and external vibrations, and an aluminum front panel further reduces resonance for optimal sound quality. An extra bottom cover provides additional support for improved performance. All of this attention to detail in the receiver's construction, combined with its symmetrical amp layout and low-jitter PLL circuitry, results in accurate playback, precise stereo imaging, and a wide, natural soundstage.
Yamaha's AV Controller app lets you stream music wirelessly and control playback options on the RX-A850.
Ultimate wireless convenience
The Wi-Fi-equipped RX-A850 gives you quick access to all of your favorite songs plus plenty of ways to discover new music. Access content from your personal digital music library, or explore different Internet radio services. Pandora® lets you enjoy all the custom radio stations you listen to on the go in the comfort of your living room, and vTuner lets you listen to Internet radio stations from all over the world. With a premium Spotify® subscription, you can stream your favorite albums and playlists wirelessly to the receiver via your Internet router, controlling playback from your mobile device. Built-in Bluetooth lets you stream any music you listen to on your phone, tablet or computer, and Apple AirPlay lets you send music wirelessly from a compatible Apple device or from any computer with iTunes®.
Add music in a second room and connect a second TV
The RX-A850's seven-channel amplifier has outputs for nine speakers. That means you can connect a full 7.1 or 7.2-channel surround sound system in your main room plus another pair of speakers in a different area of the house. If you're listening to music out on the patio while others watch a movie in the living room, Yamaha's Intelligent Amp Assign feature automatically assigns two amplifier channels to your stereo setup while still delivering five-channel surround sound in the main room. When the second zone isn't in use, the surround sound in the main room switches back to seven channels for maximum surround sound immersion.
A second HDMI output lets you watch the same video source in your main zone and a second room. Start a movie in your living room and finish it in your bedroom or kitchen. Or watch the same content on two separate screens in the same room and use Party Mode to make sure the sound from both TVs is perfectly synced. You can also use one HDMI output for your TV and the other to connect a video projector.
Take control of your system with a flexible remote app
Our customers love Yamaha's AV Controller app. This number-one-rated control app turns your mobile device into a Wi-Fi remote so you can control and customize playback options on the RX-A850. Switch sources, tweak settings, adjust volume, and select Internet radio stations with effortlessly intuitive touchscreen operation. You can even hide unused icons and rename functions to personalize your remote to your system. Thanks to Yamaha's Wireless Direct technology, you can also control the receiver and stream music from your device without a network connection. If you prefer doing things the old-fashioned way, Yamaha's updated remote control is easy to use, and the receiver's advanced on-screen interface makes it a breeze to navigate settings and functions.
Simplified setup solutions for optimal performance
Yamaha has seen to it that you won't need to sweat setting up your system. A free AV Setup Guide app for iOS and Android™ tablets takes you step-by-step, with illustrations, through the process of connecting your speakers and sources. Once you've gotten everything connected, just plug the included setup mic into the RX-A850's front panel and the YPAO calibration system will analyze your speakers and your room's acoustics for optimal performance. YPAO is simple and automatic and sets the best sound for any room, no matter where your speakers are placed.
MusicCast puts whole home audio at your fingertips
Yamaha's new MusicCast feature makes it easy to build a whole home wireless audio system starting with the RX-A850. Use your existing Wi-Fi network to stream music to compatible Yamaha wireless speakers and sound bars in different rooms. Each room's speakers can be controlled independently with the free MusicCast app. The app lets you control playback, browse music sources, and select which rooms you want to use. Listen to the same music throughout your home, or play something different in each room. Access your personal digital music library, Internet radio, and popular streaming services. You can also play Bluetooth sources, sound from your TV, and even CDs and vinyl. MusicCast also supports high-resolution audio formats.
Power and Processing:
- 7-channel amplifier
- 100 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.06% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding
- Dolby Atmos processing for use with in-ceiling or "height" speakers for more enveloping home theater sound
- video upconversion (up to 1080p and 4K) for analog and HDMI sources
- YPAO (Yamaha Parametric Room Acoustic Optimizer) automatic speaker calibration with Reflected Sound Control and Volume to deliver more accurate surround sound across different listening levels (microphone included)
- Cinema DSP modes add richness and depth to music and movie soundtracks
- Adaptive Dynamic Range Control limits the volume level on sound effects and commercials for more discreet late-night listening
- Dialogue Lift and Level Adjustment for clearer, louder dialogue while watching movies and shows
Digital and Streaming Music Options:
- built-in Wi-Fi for listening to music from a networked PC, free Internet radio, and music services
- Wireless Direct lets you stream music and control playback from a smartphone or tablet without a wireless home network
- includes support for Pandora, Rhapsody, vTuner, and SiriusXM Internet radio (subscription required for some services)
- Spotify Connect lets you play Spotify's streaming music library through the receiver, controlled by your smartphone or tablet (requires Spotify app and a premium subscription)
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music streaming
- Apple AirPlay for streaming music from an iPhone, iPad®, iPod touch® or computer running iTunes
- MusicCast wirelessly connects compatible Yamaha components for whole home audio
- front-panel USB input for connecting an iPod®, iPhone, iPad, or thumb drive
- direct digital connection for iPod or iPhone bypasses the device's digital-to-analog converter for better sound
- plays high-resolution digital music files via USB storage device or a networked computer (PCM up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution; DSD up to 5.6 MHz .dsf files)
- DLNA 1.5 certified for streaming music wirelessly from compatible computers and network-attached storage (NAS) drives
- gapless playback of WAV, FLAC and ALAC files from USB thumb drives and networked computers
- dual-room/dual-source output
- powered and line-level stereo audio output for 2nd room (using powered 2nd-room output allows 5.2 home theater in main room)
- Intelligent Amp Assign automatically redirects surround back channels in Main zone to Zone 2 speakers when Zone 2 is powered on
- optical/coaxial digital and HDMI audio sources cannot be output to Zone 2
Audio Performance Features:
- 192kHz/24-bit Burr-Brown digital-to-analog converters for all channels
- Ultra Low Jitter PLL circuitry reduces timing jitter from digital sources, for improved sound quality
- surround back speaker channels re-assignable for bi-amping compatible front left and right speakers
- Pure Direct mode switches off front-panel display, tone controls, and DSP circuitry for cleaner sound with analog audio sources
- Compressed Music Enhancer improves sound quality of Bluetooth streams, MP3s, and other digital music files
- detachable power cable
- HDMI 2.0a audio/video switching: 8 in, 2 out (including 1 front-panel input)
- HDCP 2.2 technology ensures compatibility with 4K Ultra HD sources and TVs (HDMI 1, 2, and 3 inputs and monitor outputs only)
- HDR-compatible for extended picture contrast and brightness with compatible 4K TVs and HDR-encoded content (firmware update required)
- component video switching: 2 in, 1 out
- composite video switching: 5 in, 1 out (including 1 front-panel input)
- digital audio inputs: 2 optical and 2 coaxial
- 5 analog stereo audio inputs (including 1 front-panel input)
- 7.2-channel preamp outputs
- includes outputs for 2 powered subwoofers
- phono input for use with a turntable
- Ethernet port for network connection
- front-panel USB port for audio playback from USB flash drives and portable music players
- outputs for 9 speakers (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R, Zone 2 L/R)
- receiver can power a maximum of 7 channels at once
- RS-232C input, remote input/output (IR) and 12 volt-trigger output for use with external controllers
- 4K/60p and 3D video pass-through
- free Yamaha AV Controller app lets you use your Apple or Android device as a Wi-Fi remote
- four SCENE presets for one-touch power-up, source selection and DSP recall
- Audio Return Channel function receives digital audio signals from a compatible HDTV's tuner via HDMI
- full-color on-screen display
- HDMI standby pass-through allows source switching without powering up receiver
- web browser control via PC or tablet
- AM/FM tuner
- remote control
- 17-1/8"W x 6-11/16"H x 15-5/8"D (9-1/4"H with Wi-Fi antenna raised)
- weight: 23.4 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # RX-A850BL
What's in the box:
- 7.2ch AV receiver
- 6.5' AC power cord
- Wireless remote control (RAV540)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- YPAO microphone
- W-LAN antenna (pre-installed)
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna
- Owner's Manual CD-ROM
- Easy Setup Guide
- Quick Guide for Multi-Zone
- Safety Brochure
- Supplement for Internet Radio
- Warranty information
- On-line product registration information
- "Yamaha Worldwide Representative Offices" note
- Spotify brochure
Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A850 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A850
Features & specs
Aventage Series: The Aventage line of Yamaha AV receivers is based on the audio design concept of providing a massive, full-bodied sound for movie sound effects and the accurate reproduction of music sources. By expertly harmonizing traditional and advanced technologies, every factor that affects sound quality, from materials & parts construction to circuitry layout, vibration damping, and "fine-tuning" the sound, is handled with no other thought than to achieve the best possible audio quality. As a result, every Aventage receiver has the ability to reproduce the most subtle details of high-definition sound, so that listeners can enjoy a truly high-class sound studio experience at home.
- High Drive Amp Technology: A fully discrete power amplifier helps maximize sound and minimize distortion of the receiver. The Yamaha RX-A850 AV Receiver is equipped with a 7-channel amplifier rated at 100 watts (into 8-ohms, at 20-20kHz, with 0.06% THD, driving 2 channels) which provides high dynamic power with low-impedance drive capability.
- High Purity Pre-Amplification: The Yamaha RX-A850 uses high quality, audio-grade Burr-Brown 192kHz/24-bit digital-to-analog converters for all channels to maximize sound quality. The AV receiver also utilizes low-jitter PLL circuitry to help optimize sound imaging. The result is a more dynamic sound with greater detail and less distortion.
- Aluminum Front-Panel: The aluminum front-panel is used to effectively shield sensitive circuitry from external noise and electronic energy generated by dimmer switches, fluorescent lighting, video monitors and so on. This ensures optimum sonic performance in the widest range of installation environments.
- A.R.T.: The A.R.T. (Anti-Resonance Technology) Wedge 5th foot is in the center of the unit. It dampens vibrations from the power transformer, power transistors and heat sinks, as well as vibrations that might be caused by the sound from the speakers. A.R.T. Wedge 5th foot helps ensure that vibrations do not affect the sound quality. The AV receiver also employs anti-vibration heatsinks to suppress vibration from transistors and sound pressure.
- Independent Power Supplies: Independent power supplies are used for the receiver's analog and digital circuitry to prevent digital noise from affecting analog circuitry. These power supplies are highly efficient and result in less power consumption in standby mode.
Intelligent Amplifier Assignment: Intelligent Amp Assignment automatically assigns amplifier channels of the Yamaha AV receiver to certain speakers depending on what functions are selected. You can select from a variety of amplifier configurations.
- Basic: In this configuration, up to nine speakers (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R, & Presence L/R) can be connected to the AV receiver. When Cinema DSP 3D or Dolby Atmos is on, the two Presence speakers will be powered and not the two surround back speakers. When Cinema DSP 3D or Dolby Atmos is off, this situation is reversed. Bi-amp and Zone 2 speakers are not available in this mode.
- 5ch Bi-Amp: Up to five speakers (Front L/R, Center, & Surround L/R) can be connected to the AV receiver. The Surround Back amplifier channels of the AV receiver are reassigned to bi-amp the front speakers. A bi-amplification connection uses two amplifiers for one speaker. One amplifier is connected to the woofer section of a loudspeaker while the other is connected to the combined midrange and tweeter section. With this arrangement each amplifier operates over a limited frequency range, making its job easier. Zone 2 and Presence speakers are not available in this mode.
- 7ch + Zone 2: In this configuration, up to nine speakers (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R, and Zone 2) can be connected to the AV receiver. When Zone 2 is off, all seven channels will be used in the Main Zone. However, when Zone 2 is on, power to the two surround back channels will be directed to the two speakers in Zone 2 and the Main Zone will receive five channels of power. The same or different analog input sources/volume settings can be applied to both zones. Bi-amp and Presence speakers are not available in this mode.
Note: The receiver offers three configurations for its Presence speakers - Front Height (for Cinema DSP 3D), Overhead (for Dolby Atmos), and Dolby Enabled SP (for Dolby Atmos).
YPAO Automatic System Calibration: The Yamaha Parametric Room Acoustic Optimizer (YPAO) system uses a small microphone and sophisticated equalization to automatically set the best sound for any room, no matter where the speakers are. First, it checks the speaker connections and phase of each speaker. Then it sends out tones which are captured by the microphone to analyze the room acoustics and sets a variety of parameters, such as the speaker size, the distance of the speakers, and even the sound pressure level; until it achieves the best sound conditions for your room. Up to 8 listening position measurements are taken to optimize the surround effect for a broad area. Additional YPAO technologies include:
- EQ: You can select between 3 YPAO EQ result settings to better suit your speaker setup - Natural (adjusts all speaker to a natural sound; useful when the flat setting sounds too bright), Flat (use when all the speakers in the system have similar sound characteristics), Front (EQs the center and rear speakers to sound like the front; useful when your front speakers are better than the others in the system), Through (does not use the YPAO EQ), or Manual (lets you adjust EQ for each channel manually).
- R.S.C (Reflected Sound Control): The receiver also employs YPAO's Reflected Sound Control (RSC) to correct early reflections for studio-quality sound.
- DSP Effect Normalization: In addition, YPAO provides DSP Effect Normalization, which varies the CINEMA DSP parameters according to the reflected sounds.
- YPAO Volume: Human ears have less sensitivity to high and low frequencies, especially at lower volumes. YPAO Volume applies loudness EQ correction to automatically adjust high and low frequency levels as volume changes. Using the YPAO measurement results, EQ correction is optimized to your system settings and listening environment.
Note: You can also choose to manually adjust the AV receiver's speaker setup settings.
Multi-Channel Decoding Formats: The Yamaha Aventage RX-A850 supports the following multi-channel (Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Pro Logic) decoding formats.
- Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD
- DTS: DTS, DTS-ES, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS Express, DTS 96/24, DTS Neo: 6
- Dolby Pro Logic: Dolby Pro Logic II, Dolby Pro Logic IIx
Note: Dolby Digital and DTS listening modes can only be selected if your audio source is connected to the A/V receiver via a digital audio connection (HDMI, optical, or coaxial). To enjoy true 7.1ch Dolby Digital TrueHD and DTS-HD surround sound, the receiver must be connected to your Blu-ray player via HDMI.
Dolby Atmos: The Yamaha RX-A850 AV receiver will enhance properly designed systems with Dolby Atmos where sound comes alive from all directions, including overhead, to fill the home theater with astonishing clarity, power, detail and depth. The RX-A850 has the processing power to run a more enveloping 5.1.2ch Dolby Atmos layout utilizing ceiling mounted, or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers (sold separately). A 5.1.2 speaker configuration is based upon a traditional 5.1 speaker layout complemented by 2 overhead or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers.
- Ceiling Mounted Speakers: Ceiling speakers are used for maximizing effects in Dolby Atmos listening mode. Install these speakers midway between the position just above the listening position and the position just above the front speakers, or simply install them just above the listening position.
- Dolby Enabled Speakers: There are two types of Dolby Enabled Speakers; one is to be placed on the top board of other speakers such as front speakers and surround speakers; the other is integrated within the front or surround speakers. Dolby Enabled Speakers are designed with their output facing toward the ceiling to create an elevated audio effect in the Dolby Atmos mode by providing sounds echoing off the ceiling.
Note: Globally, more than 100 cinema blockbusters have been released featuring Dolby Atmos soundtracks in the past two years, and many more are on the way. Major Hollywood studios are partnering with Dolby to create home video versions of current box office releases and previously released favorites for release in 2015.
Dolby Surround: Dolby Surround offers an enhanced cinema experience to your Dolby Digital (Plus/TrueHD) and DTS (ES/HD) movie soundtracks using your existing 7.1ch or Dolby Atmos speaker setup. Dolby Surround enhances audio definition by improving the spatial dimension and overall audio definition of movie soundtracks. It does this by using four distinct surround zones that provide greater control over the exact placement of each detail in a movie sound track, so audio can be matched more accurately to the video on screen; this means more depth and greater realism for your movies. As a result, individual sounds are clearer and more distinct. It also improves the surround sound experience across the entire theater by widening the listening "sweet spot".
Surround Parameters: The Yamaha AV receiver offers the following Dolby Pro Logic II and DTS NEO:6 audio adjustments.
- Dolby Pro Logic II Settings: You can adjust the following parameters in Pro Logic II Music modes: Panorama (sends stereo signals to the surround speakers as well as the front speakers for a wraparound effect), Dimension (adjusts the soundfield either towards the front or towards the rear of the room), and Center Width (moves the center channel output completely towards the center speaker or towards the front left and right speakers).
- Center Image (DTS NEO: 6 Music): This parameter adjusts the front left and right channel output relative to the center channel to make the center channel more or less dominant as necessary.
Cinema DSP Soundfields: Conventional multichannel audio reproduction systems base their sound on Dolby Digital and DTS decoding, using matrix and steering technologies to create surround sound effects. Yamaha Cinema DSP is much more advanced, actually creating richly realized independent soundfields that envelop you in an unmatched surround sound experience. With dialogue, music and effects ideally located in these separate soundfields, you will hear sound with accurate placement, smooth movement, exceptional clarity and richness, and realistic presence. It will seem as if the walls of your room have disappeared and you are in the middle of your own immense theater. The AV receiver offers 17 Cinema DSP programs for movies, music, and games.
- Movie Soundfields: Standard, Spectacle, Sci-Fi, Adventure, Drama, Mono Movie, Sports, Action Game, Role Playing Game
- Music Soundfields: Hall Munich, Hall in Vienna, Chamber, Cellar club, The Roxy Theater, The Bottom Line, Music Video, 5/7ch Stereo
Cinema DSP Modes: The Yamaha Aventage RX-A850 AV receiver offers proprietary Yamaha Cinema modes so you can enjoy your movies and music even more in your home; regardless if you are using 5.1 speaker setup, only have a two-channel speaker system, or listening through headphones.
- Cinema DSP 3D: The actually measured soundfield data in
recorded soundtracks contain the information of the height of the sound
images. CINEMA DSP 3D mode achieves the reproduction of the accurate height
of theses sound images so that it can create the accurate and intensive
stereoscopic soundfield in your listening room. The receiver achieves Cinema
DSP 3D through its virtual Presence Speaker & Virtual Surround Back Speakers
- Virtual Presence Speaker (VPS): With the power of CINEMA DSP 3D, the Virtual Presence Speaker function makes full use of center and surround speakers to create audible information from where presence (height) speakers are normally installed.
- Virtual Surround Back Speaker (VSBS): This receiver also features a Virtual Surround Back Speaker function. Even without using surround back speakers, you can experience more natural, lifelike sound from behind you without physical speakers being installed in the surround back area of the listening environment.
- Virtual Cinema DSP: Virtual Cinema DSP is an algorithm that allows you to enjoy DSP soundfield surround effects while using a minimal two-speaker system. Virtual Cinema DSP lets you enjoy the effects of Cinema DSP surround sound without using surround speakers (handy for use in custom installations where some rooms don't have surround speakers). It can be used with the front/center speakers or even with just the two front left and right speakers. This unit will switch to virtual Cinema DSP mode automatically when surround speakers are unavailable.
- Virtual Cinema Front: With Virtual Cinema Front, you will enjoy virtual 5-channel surround sound with higher quality and resolution by installing surround speakers at the front. You get more flexibility to arrange your speakers inside the room, along with easy enjoyment of high quality surround sound.
- Silent Cinema: Silent Cinema makes it possible to hear large-scale surround sound through ordinary headphones. This is a variation of Cinema DSP technology that Yamaha developed to let you listen in private to movies and other multi-channel sources for hours without listening fatigue.
CINEMA DSP Parameters: You can adjust the following parameters of the Cinema DSP modes.
- DSP Level: You can change the receiver's CINEMA DSP effect level (level of the soundfield effect to be added). You can adjust the level of the soundfield effect from -6 dB to +3 dB. The AV Controller App for Apple iOS and Android provides even greater adjustment of Cinema DSP soundfields.
- Delay: Adjusts the delay between the direct sound and the presence soundfield (1-99ms), surround soundfield (1-49ms), and surround back soundfield (1-49ms).
- Room Size: Adjusts the broadening effect (0.1-2.0) of the presence soundfield, surround soundfield, and the surround back sound field.
- Liveness: Adjusts the loss (0-10) of the presence soundfield, surround back soundfield, and surround back soundfield.
- Reverb: Adjusts the delay time of the rear reverberant sound (1.0-5.0s), the delay between the direct sound and rear reverberant sound (0-250ms), and the volume of the reverberant sound (0-100%).
HiFi Sound Modes: The Yamaha Aventage RX-A850 offers two HiFi audio modes which bypass the receiver's tone & DSP processing for higher sound quality performance. These HiFi sound modes lets you play back input sources without any soundfield effect processing. When either of theses modes are enabled, each speaker produces its own channel audio signal (without soundfield processing). When playing back 2-channle sources, such as a CD player, stereo sound is heard from the front speakers. When playing back multichannel sources, the receiver produces unprocessed multichannel surround sound.
- Straight: 2-channel stereo sources are output from only the front left and right speakers, while multi-channel sources are decoded straight into the appropriate channels without any additional tone or DSP processing.
- Direct: Turns off the surround and tone circuitry, and dims the front-panel display, allowing sources to bypass the decoders and DSP processors of this unit so you can enjoy pure hi-fi sound from 2-channel or multi-channel sources. During Direct playback no sound is output from the subwoofer.
Compressed Music Enhancer: Yamaha employs sophisticated digital signal processing with exclusive algorithms to enable playback that improves the performance of compressed music formats, including MP3, WMA, and AAC. With the Compressed Music Enhancer, highs and especially lows are richer and smoother, bringing music back to life to be as close to the original as possible.
Dialogue Lift & Level Adjustment: Dialogue Lift raises the sound of dialogue from the center speaker to a position in the center of the screen. Newly developed virtual dialogue lift achieves dialogue lift function even without the need for presence speakers. Dialogue Level Adjustment lets you control the volume of the vocal sound, so you hear movie dialogue and music vocals at the ideal level for clear, comfortable listening.
Dynamic Range Control: The Yamaha Aventage RX-A850 employs two Dynamic Range Control functions.
- Adaptive DRC: Adaptive DRC automatically adjusts the dynamic range of the sound according to the volume level. This ensures that you hear clear dialog, vocals, and all sound effects at comfortable levels. There is no need to adjust the volume level as you listen; everything from whispers to big explosions will be heard clearly and comfortably at the same volume setting. It also tones down loud TV commercials and is ideal for low-volume, late-night listening when you do not want to disturb others.
- Dynamic Range: The amount of dynamic range compression applied to bitstream signals is adjustable; Min/Auto is suitable for low volume listening, Standard is typical for home use, and Max doesn't compress the dynamic range at all.
Bass Management: The Yamaha Aventage RX-A850 AV receiver provides the following Bass Management settings.
- Bass & Treble: You can adjust the balance of the high-frequency range (Treble) and low-frequency range (Bass) of sounds output from the receiver' front left and right speakers to obtain a desired tone. You can independently adjust the bass (50Hz) and treble (20kHz) from -6dB to +6dB in 0.5 dB increments. The tone control of the speakers or headphones can be set separately.
- Extra Bass: You can select whether to play front channel low-frequencies through either of the front speaker or the subwoofer, or through both the subwoofer and front speakers.
- Subwoofer Trim: The Subwoofer Trim control enhances the low frequencies by avoiding overlap with the front speaker output. This will result in a cleaner, more focused sound stage while providing a seamless frequency response. When subwoofer frequency overlap occurs in conventional systems, the overall sound is "pushed" toward the subwoofer. Subwoofer Trim takes care of this by separating the low subwoofer frequencies cleanly, thus stabilizing the front stage while providing a well-balanced enhanced bass sound.
Volume Setup: The Yamaha Aventage RX-A850 allows you to customize the receiver's volume levels.
- Max Volume Adjustment: Use this feature to set the receiver's maximum volume level. This feature is useful to avoid turning the volume too loud by mistake. You can set the Max Volume from -30 dB to +15 dB in 5 dB steps, or to +16.5 dB (full volume range is -80 dB to +16.5 dB).
- Initial Volume Setting: Use this feature to set the volume level when the power is turned on. You can choose between Off (same as the volume when the unit was turned off), Mute, and -80 dB to + 16.5 dB in increments of 0.5 dB.
- Volume Trim: Use this feature to adjust the volume level of each input. This is useful to balance the level of each input to avoid sudden changes in volume when switching between input sources. The range is from -6dB to +6dB in 0.5dB increments.
Note: You can choose to display the "Relative" volume scale (-80 to +16dB) or an "Absolute" volume scale (0 to 97).
Audio Inputs/Outputs: The Yamaha Aventage RX-A850 offers a variety of analog and digital audio inputs/outputs.
- Digital Inputs: The Yamaha AV receiver is equipped with two optical (toslink) digital inputs and two coaxial (RCA) digital inputs capable of handling 2.0-5.1ch/32-96kHz audio.
- Stereo RCA Jacks + Phono Input: The receiver is also equipped with five stereo RCA analog audio inputs (four rear/one front) and a stereo RCA Zone 2 output, plus a Phono input (MM) for vinyl playback.
- Speaker Terminals: The receiver has binding post terminals for the Front, Center, Surround, Surround Back/Bi-Amp, and Zone 2/Presence speaker terminals. The binding posts can accept bare wire, pin connectors, and single banana plugs. You can select 8 ohms or 6 ohms in the menu depending on your speaker application. The amplifier supports 4- to 8-ohm Front speakers, and 6- to 8-ohm Center and Surround speakers.
- 7.2ch Preamp Outputs: The AV receiver features 7.2-channel preamp outputs (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R, and Dual Subs) for connection to external power amplifiers. The dual sub outputs are parallel and not discrete.
- Headphone Jack: The Yamaha Aventage RX-A850 is equipped with a front-panel 1/4" headphone jack for connecting a set of headphone, so you can listen to your music privately. Connecting a set of headphones automatically mutes the receiver's speaker outputs. Sound effects applied during playback can also be heard through the headphones.
HDMI 2.0a: The Yamaha RX-A850 AV receiver is fitted with eight HDMI 2.0a (7 rear/1 front) inputs and two HDMI 2.0a outputs to deliver crystal-clear, all-digital audio and video signals. The two HDMI outputs are parallel, so the same audio/video signal is output through both and can be used simultaneously. The HDMI 2.0a jacks support 4K/60Hz and 1080p video signals; as well as 3D video and ARC functionality. Deep Color (30/36 bit), x.v.Color, and auto Lip-Sync compensation are also supported via HDMI. The AV receiver's HDMI jacks support 2-channel and multi-channel linear PCM (up to 8-channel) and Bitstream (Dolby Digital, DTS, etc) digital audio formats.
- 4K/60Hz (4:4:4) + HDCP 2.2: This receiver supports the latest HDMI standards thanks to the transmission of 4K video @ 60 frames per second on all HDMI inputs and outputs. It will also support RGB, YCbCr 4:4:4, YCbCr 4:2:2 as well as YCbCr 4:2:0 video signal for more vibrant and lifelike images. The receiver's HDMI 1-3 inputs and both HDMI monitor outputs also support HDCP 2.2 which fully complies with the latest copyright protection, a standard for 4K video transmission.
- 3D Ready: The Yamaha Aventage RX-A850 AV receiver supports 3D HDMI pass-through from connected 3D-compatible Blu-ray, games and broadcast devices to 3D-compatible HDTVs (all 3D components must be connected via HDMI). 3D provides a more engaging audio and video consumer experience. Note that special eyewear may be required for viewing 3D content.
- ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature of the receiver's main HDMI monitor output allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to your receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
- Deep/x.v.Color Support: The AV receiver supports Deep Color and x.v.Color content, which can display a larger color range than standard-definition schemes. The result is a more lifelike, vibrant picture.
- LipSync: This function adjusts the delay between audio and video output. You can do this manually or have the receiver set the LipSync function automatically. When connected to a TV via HDMI the receiver automatically adjusts audio output timing (0-500ms) if the TV supports an automatic LipSync function. You can also manually delay the sound output up to 500ms to synchronize it with the video image.
HDR Video (Firmware Update Now Available): Via a firmware update, the receiver will also be able to support HDR (high dynamic range) video which provides enhanced picture quality by simultaneously enabling greater detail for both the dark and bright parts of an image.
4K Video Upscaling: The Yamaha Aventage RX-A850 is capable of outstanding upscaling and i/p conversion quality. This AV Receiver will upscale video signals from analog (480i only)-to-HDMI and HDMI-to-HDMI, up to 4K. This means a much better picture with HDTVs capable of 720p, 1080i, 1080p, or 4K resolution.
HDMI Standby Through Mode: When the RX-A850 is in standby mode (power off), the Standby Through feature allows HDMI source signals to pass through the receiver to the TV. The HDMI input can be changed using the remote control. So, there's not need to turn on the A/V receiver in order to switch HDMI sources.
Analog Video: The RX-A850 AV receiver offers both composite and component analog video jacks. The RX-A850 offers two component video inputs and one component video monitor output. These jacks have a frequency response of 5 Hz to 60 MHz and will pass High Definition video sources up to 1080p. The receiver also features four composite video inputs and one composite video monitor output.
Background Video: The Background Video feature allows you to watch a video source while listening to a different audio source. With the RX-A850, you can select any video input, and listen to AM/FM radio or select songs from a USB device, Bluetooth, or Network source at the same time.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Yamaha AV receiver is fitted with a RJ-45 Ethernet (LAN) port to connect the receiver to your home network. The unit also offers built-in WiFi (IEEE 802.11 b/g/n; 2.4GHz) for a wireless network connection; WPS, WEP, WPA-PSK (TKIP), WPA-PSK (AES), WPA2-PSK (AES) security protection is supported. Either network connection gives the receiver access to your DLNA music server and various online music services. Wireless network setup can be done via WPS button, Access Point Scan, Manual Setting, PIN Code, or even through your Apple iOS device (5.0+).
Note: Network setup requires that the receiver be connected to your TV via HDMI for display of the on-screen menu. The receiver's network setup cannot be accessed through its front-panel display.
Internet Radio: The Yamaha Aventage RX-A850's network connection provides access to Pandora, Spotify, SiriusXM, Rhapsody, and vTuner Internet Radio online music services. You can control the Internet Radio services from the AV receiver's remote control and on-screen menu (via HDMI). The receiver will display station name, album name, song title, and elapsed time on your HDMI-connected television.
|Pandora||Pandora is free, personalized radio that plays music and comedy you'll love. Just start with the name of one of your favorite artists, songs, comedians or composers and Pandora will create a custom station that plays similar tracks. You can also rate (thumbs up/thumbs down) songs as they play, and Pandora will adapt stations to your feedback. You can even bookmark up to 100 stations and easily switch between favorites.|
|Spotify Connect||With the Spotify app (premium account required) on your Apple iOS or Android smartphone, you've got instant access to millions of songs. And now you can stream those same songs from your smartphone to the Yamaha AV receiver by using Spotify Connect; simply hit play on the app to start streaming music. What's more, when you've been listening to Spotify on your smartphone outside and come inside, the song immediately begins to stream to the receiver for uninterrupted music enjoyment. You can also personalize playlists and receive phone calls while listening to music.|
|SiriusXM||Requires firmware update. SiriusXM Internet Radio lets you listen to over 120 channels of commercial-free music, talk radio, news, sports, entertainment, and more.|
|Rhapsody||Rhapsody is a streaming music subscription service (starting a $10 per month) that allows you to play the full-length songs you choose on demand from a collection of over 10 million songs, without ads and without having to purchase or download the music.|
|vTuner||You can also listen to Internet radio stations using the vTuner Internet Radio Station database service particularly customized for this unit, providing a database of numerous radio stations around the world. You can search for Internet Radio stations by Location, Genre, New, Popular, or Podcast.|
DLNA + WiFi Direct: The Yamaha Aventage RX-A850 AV receiver supports music streaming from WiFi-enabled devices (via WiFi Direct) and DLNA certified devices (via your home network). Supported music files include; MP3 (up to 48 kHz), WMA (up to 48 kHz), AAC (up to 48 kHz), ALAC (up to 96 kHz), AIFF (up to 192kHz), WAV (up to 192 kHz), FLAC (up to 192 kHz), and DSD (2.8/5.6MHz).
- WiFi Direct: When using WiFi Direct, you can connect directly with other WiFi-enabled devices without using a wireless router. You'll be able to wirelessly stream a variety of music files to the Yamaha receiver without connecting to your home network. WiFi Direct completely bypasses your WiFi access point/router, so it's easy to set up. You'll continue to navigate your music and view song/artist information from your mobile device.
- DLNA Certified: The RX-A850 is DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5 and Windows 7/8 compliant for audio networking. This means it's easier for you to access and enjoy digital music stored on your PC over your home network. You can use your PC to play high-bit rate music content through your audio system, or use the RX-A850 to browse and play music files on your hard drive. You can control playback of your streamed audio files from the AV receiver's remote control. The receiver also supports ID3-Tag and META tag information so song title, artist name, and album name can be displayed from the unit's on-screen menu (via HDMI). The AV receiver supports the following DLNA music servers - (1) PC with Windows Media Player 11 or later installed, (2) PC with DLNA/UPnP Certificate server software installed, (3) NAS with DLNA/UPnP certification.
AM/FM Tuner: The Yamaha Aventage RX-A850 AV receiver features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, and preset tuning. The RX-A850 lets you store up to 40 AM/FM station presets. This can be done manually or automatically (auto-preset tuning). You can set this receiver to automatically match FM broadcast frequencies in stereo, or convert the frequency to monaural for weaker stations. An indoor FM wire antenna and AM loop antenna are included with the receiver.
Web Control: When connected to your network (with Internet connection), you can control the Yamaha AV receiver with the web control screen displayed in your PC's web browser. You'll be able to control functions such as, Power On/Off & Volume. Internet Explorer 9.x, 10.x, 11.x, or Safari 7.x is recommended for web browser.
Firmware Updates: New firmware will be released for the purpose of additional features or product improvements. Firmware updates can be downloaded from the Yamaha website. If this unit is connected to the Internet, the receiver will indicate when a new firmware version is available and you can download the firmware via the network connection. Firmware updates normally take approximately 20 minutes or longer. Check Yamaha's Support Download Site for the most recent firmware updates.
USB Port: This AV receiver is equipped with a front-panel USB (type-A) port that allows you to enjoy a variety of music files stored on a USB mass storage class memory device; such as select Android smartphones (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only), portable MP3 players, or USB thumbdrives (not compatible with USB HDDs). Your USB mass storage class device must be formatted in FAT 16 or FAT32.You can use the receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI) and remote control to navigate your stored music files on your connected USB memory device. USB portable audio players that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the AV receiver's USB port (5V/1A); even in standby mode. Compatible music files include:
- MP3 (up to 48 kHz)
- WMA (up to 48 kHz)
- AAC (up to 48 kHz)
- ALAC (up to 96 kHz)
- AIFF (up to 192 kHz)
- WAV (up to 192 kHz)
- FLAC (up to 192 kHz)
- DSD (2.8/5.6 MHz)
Note: While listening to a song from a USB device, you can view a favorite video or photo from the receiver's monitor output.
iPod/iPhone Connectivity: The Yamaha Aventage RX-A850 offers wired (via USB) and wireless (via AirPlay) connectivity for your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad. You can even watch video from your Apple device via the receiver's front-panel HDMI input.
- AirPlay: AirPlay lets you stream your favorite songs directly from your Apple iOS (4.3.3+) device or from your iTunes (10.2.2+) library on your Windows PC or Mac computer to the AV receiver, over your home's wireless network connection. From your Apple iOS device you are able to stream stored music on your device, downloaded music apps, and music on your iCloud to the AV receiver. From your Windows or Mac you can stream your stored iTunes music library on your computer to the AV receiver; you can even download Apple's free Remote App onto your compatible iOS device to browse and control playback functions of the music stored in your iTunes music library on your computer that is being streamed to the AV receiver. With AirPlay you also get to see song/artist information and album art via the receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI).
- USB Direct: The USB (type-A) port on the front-panel provides convenient connection for your iPod/iPhone so you can listen to your stored music and music apps through the Yamaha AV receiver. The iPod/iPhone USB digital connection means that the digital audio signal from your iPod/iPhone is transmitted directly to the system, minimizing noise interference and allowing use of the receiver's DAC, not the DAC in your iPod/iPhone. This results in more precise sound reproduction. You can navigate your iPod/iPhone's music via the receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI) and remote control, or continue to use your iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen. You can browse your iPod/iPhone's stored music content via Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Genre, or Composer. You can also control Repeat & Shuffle functions. Basic playback functions (such as Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track) for music apps can also be controlled by the AV receiver's remote. Song/artist information and Album Art from stored music and music apps on your iPod/iPhone will display on your connected TV (via HDMI); the unit's front-panel display will also indicate song/artist text.
- HDMI Video: You can also view video from stored movies and movie apps from select iPods, iPhone, and iPads by connecting your Apple device to the AV receiver's front-panel USB and HDMI input. Use the Apple Lightning-to-Digital AV Adapter (472LT2HDMI sold separately), the Apple Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your device, and a HDMI cable (sold separately) to connect your Lightning connector iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad to the AV receiver. Use the Apple Dock-to-Digital AV Adapter (sold separately), the Apple Dock-to-USB cable that came with your device, and a HDMI cable (sold separately) to connect your iPod touch (4th gen), iPhone 4/4S, or iPad (1/2/3). Using the HDMI input, video from your iPod/iPhone/iPad can only be navigated from your Apple device's clickwheel or touchscreen (select Simple mode on receiver).
Note: Your Apple device's battery will be charged while connected to the receiver's front-panel USB port (max. 1A).
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Yamaha AV receiver supports the following Apple devices and functionalities (as of 10/14/2015):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Connector Type||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|USB||AirPlay||Bluetooth||Audio||Video||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Album Art||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Zone 2: The Zone 2 feature allows you to set this receiver to reproduce separate input sources in the main zone and the second zone (Zone 2). The receiver has dedicated stereo RCA outputs for Zone 2, or the built-in amplifier can be configured to power speakers in the second zone connected to the Extra Speaker terminals. By using the RCA outputs on the AV receiver you can connect an external receiver or integrated amplifier in a second room, allowing you to listen to 7.1ch surround in the main room and play a different stereo audio source in another room of your home. The volume of Zone 2 is controlled by your optional integrated amp. By using the speaker-level outputs on the AV receiver you can directly connect a secondary pair of speakers in another room of your home, allowing you to listen to 5.1 surround sound in your main room and play a different stereo audio source in the other room. When the receiver is powering speakers in Zone 2, the surround back speakers in the main room are turned off (limiting you to 5.1ch in the main room). The volume of Zone 2 is controlled by the AV receiver.
- Compatible Zone Sources: You can select the
following input sources for Zone 2.
- Analog Audio Inputs
- USB (including iPod/iPhone)
- AirPlay & Bluetooth
- AM/FM Tuner & Internet Radio
- DLNA & Network Content
- Incompatible Zone Sources: You cannot select the
following input sources for Zone 2.
- Optical/coaxial digital and HDMI audio sources are not output to Zone 2.
- You cannot output any video signal to Zone 2.
- Unfortunately, you cannot select Bluetooth, USB, and Network source exclusively for each Zone. For example, if you select "Network Server" for Zone 2 when "USB" is selected for the Main Zone, the input source in the Main Zone also switches to "Network Server".
- You cannot select different AM/FM radio stations for each zone.
Party Mode: The Party Mode allows you to enjoy the AV receiver's Main Zone audio source in Zone 2, simultaneously (regardless of input audio signal types - analog or digital). During the party mode, stereo playback is automatically selected for all zones. The Main Zone & Zone 2's volume level can be adjusted independently. Utilize this function when you want to play back an audio source as background music in two rooms of your home.
HDMI Zone B: The receiver's second HDMI monitor output lets you send the same HDMI audio/video input signal that is being played in the main zone to a second zone (video is output at the resolution supported by both TVs).
MusicCast Wireless Multiroom Streaming: This AV receiver supports Yamaha's MusicCast multiroom audio eco-system, which allows you to wirelessly play back a wide variety of audio sources and content in multiple rooms of your home (additional MusicCast products sold separately). MusicCast works with your home's existing WiFi router and Yamaha's free MusicCast App for Apple iOS and Android devices. You'll be able to stream the receiver's tuner, analog inputs, digital inputs, Bluetooth, and network sources to other MusicCast products installed in your home. In addition, you'll be able to stream your MusicCast products' sources to the AV receiver. MusicCast supports the following source content.
- Analog & Digital Sources: External devices connected to the receiver via HDMI, optical/coax digital, analog, or USB can be played back over the MusicCast eco-system. *Multi-channel content (5.1ch/7.1ch) is down-mixed to 2-channel sound for playback in other rooms without affecting the master room.
- Tuner & Online Music Services: Pandora, Spotify Connect, SiriusXM, Rhapsody, & vTuner can be accessed from the MusicCast app for multiroom playback. The receiver's built-in AM/FM tuner is also supported.
- DLNA: MusicCast supports DLNA, allowing access to DLNA-compatible computers and network attached storage (NAS) devices. With support for WAV, FLAC, and AIFF (up to 192kHz/24-bit), ALAC (up to 96kHz/24-bit), and MP3, WMA, and AAC (up to 48kHz). Master room playback is at the native sampling rate and other rooms down-convert to 48kHz.
- Bluetooth: The receiver's Bluetooth source (SBC codec only) can be streamed to multiple MusicCast devices, so Bluetooth audio can be played in multiple rooms simultaneously. MusicCast devices can also stream out non-Bluetooth sources to most any Bluetooth speaker or headphones (regardless of manufacture), making it convenient to expand MusicCast to your existing audio products.
Note: This feature will require a firmware update.
MusicCast App: The free MusicCast app can be downloaded for Apple (iOS 7.1+) iPod/iPhone/iPad and Android (OS4.1+) smartphones/tablets. The MusicCast app puts control of your whole home listening experience in the palm of your hand from your Apple iOS or Android device. You'll be able to quickly select the room or rooms you want to listen to music in, select the source or sources you want to listen to, browse music content from your music library and online music services or Internet Radio, plus control music playback functions.
- Rooms: Choose which room or rooms you want to listen to music in. You can select a different source for each room, group certain rooms together for playback of the same source, or link all rooms together so the same source is played back throughout the house.
- Source Selection: From the app you can select which source or sources you want to listen to; choose from network-connected devices, select online music services, Internet Radio or Bluetooth. You can also select from the AV receiver's HDMI, digital, analog, and USB inputs.
- Zone Control: You can activate the receiver's Zone function from the app's settings menu. The MusicCast app will then allow you to select inputs and provide basic volume controls on secondary zones.
- Music Browsing: You can browse music libraries from your network-connected devices; like your smartphone, tablet, computer, or laptop. You can also browse music content from select online music services and search Internet Radio stations from the MusicCast app.
- Playback & Song/Artist Info: From the MusiCast app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device you get Volume Up/Down, Play/Pause, and Previous/Next Track; as well as song/artist information and album art.
- Favorites: Internet radio stations, content from select online music services, plus playlists and songs from your network-connected device's music library can be saved as "Favorites" for quick recall within the MusicCast app.
- Personalization & Customization: With the app's unique personalization features, you can choose from preloaded room images or change the color of buttons to represent each room in the home, or even take pictures of their own home and assign the images to each button. The content source buttons can also be customized to rename, remove or reorder selections for easier operation.
Note: Up to 10 MusicCast devices can be controlled by the MusicCast app.
Advanced On-Screen Menu: The RX-A850 offers an on-screen (GUI) menu system through its HDMI output. The simple on-screen display combines text and graphics that make setup and other operations extremely easy. If your TV is connected to the composite video or component video monitor output, you will need to use the AV receiver's front-panel display when changing settings. You can set the receiver's on-screen menu language to English, French, Spanish, German, Russian, or Chinese.
Note: Initial setup requires that the receiver be connected to your TV via HDMI for display of the on-screen menu. Many of the receiver's setup functions can only be found via the on-screen menu and not the front-panel display.
Scene (for One-Touch Start): The RX-A850 features four Scene buttons on the front-panel and remote to make operating the receiver easier. Pressing a Scene button will automatically launch a number of operations that initiate play of the source controlled by that button; such as powering on the receiver, switching to the appropriate source input, and recalling the selected DSP surround mode.
Gapless Playback: Many live and classical albums have no gaps in the music. Gapless playback ensures that there are no pauses between audio files. This provides playback with no interruptions, the way it was meant to be heard. Compatible with WAV, FLAC, AIFF, and ALAC music files via USB or DLNA.
Input Rename & Skip: You can rename each input so the display reflects the actual source; choose from 15 templates or create an original name, up to nine characters. If an input isn't being used, you can hide it from the display so you don't have to scroll past it when you change sources.
Display Dimmer: You can set the brightness of the front-panel display from -4 to 0.
ECO Mode: When the ECO Mode is enabled, you can reduce the receiver' power consumption by keeping the maximum volume, maximum output power, and front display's brightness low. ECO mode reduces power consumption by approximately 20%.
Timers: The receiver offers a programmable Sleep Timer and Auto Power Down function.
- Sleep Timer: The receiver's Sleep Timer function can be set turn the unit automatically off after 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
- Auto Power Down: If you don't operate the receiver or use the remote for an extended period of time, the unit will automatically go into standby mode (Auto Power Down function). The Auto Power Down feature is selectable from 2, 4, 8 or 12 hours.
Memory Guard: This feature is used to prevent accidental changes to the DSP program parameter values and other system settings.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The RX-A850 is equipped with built-in Bluetooth (version 2.1+EDR w/ A2DP) which let you easily enjoy wireless audio playback of stored music and music apps from your Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, Windows Phone/PC, Mac computer/laptop, and other Bluetooth-enabled devices through the AV receiver. Song/artist information will be displayed on your HDMI connected TV's screen and the front-panel of the receiver. You'll still use your Bluetooth-enabled device to control music playback.
- SBC + AAC Codecs: In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the Yamaha receiver offers support of AAC. By supporting AAC, the receiver offers better audio performance of the music streamed from your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
- Compressed Music Enhancer: The Yamaha receiver's Compressed Music Enhancer feature is even optimized for Bluetooth audio transmissions to ensure that your music will have vivid, lively sound quality during wireless playback.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Yamaha AV receiver.
AV Controller App: Download Yamaha's free AV Controller App (from Apple's App Store or GooglePlay) onto your Apple iOS (5.0+) or Android (2.1+) device and turn your mobile device into a WiFi enabled remote control for the Yamaha AV receiver. Your Apple iOS or Android device must be connected to the same home network as the Yamaha AV receiver.
- Basic Remote Functions: The AV Controller App provides the flexibility to control input, volume, mute and power commands from your compatible Apple iOS or Android device.
- DSP Controller: You can use the AV Controller App to adjust DSP soundfields & parameters to your preference to match the type of music/movie or the mood you want to achieve. There are two modes - (1) Basic, which lets you adjust the sound space by simply pinching the screen in-and-out; and (2) Advanced, which allows detailed adjustment of various parameters such as reverb, initial delay, and liveness.
- Internal Content Browsing: Using this app on your Apple iOS or Android device, you can browse and listen to content from all internally available sources; such as Internet Radio, Pandora, Spotify, USB devices, and the AM/FM tuner.
- Wireless Music Streaming: From the app, you can browse music stored on your Apple iOS or Android device and wirelessly transfer the content to the Yamaha A/V receiver for playback.
- Zone Control: You can control power on/off, source selection, volume and other functions of Zone 2. Customization such as changing zone icon and renaming zone is also supported.
- Blu-Ray Player: This App not only controls the Yamaha AV receiver, it also controls Yamaha Blu-ray Disc Players, supporting various functions including Play/Pause, Stop, Fast Forward/Rewind, and Previous/Next Track.
AV Setup Guide App: Download Yamaha's AV Setup Guide App (from Apple's App Store or GooglePlay) onto your Apple iPad (iOS 6.0+) or Android tablet (OS 4.0+) for assistance with connecting cables between the Yamaha AV receiver and your source devices as well as AV receiver setup. This app guides you through various settings including speaker connections, TV and source device connections, plus assigning the power amplifier. Once you have completed the setup guide, settings from this app will automatically be copied to your network-connected AV receiver for quick and easy setup.
IR Remote + HDMI-CEC: The receiver comes with an IR remote control for wireless operation of this receiver and other HDMI-connected sources (via HDMI CEC). HDMI-CEC synchronizes the operation of this unit with other HDMI-CEC devices when connected via HDMI. When the AV receiver is connected to a HDMI-CEC compatible TV, they will turn ON/OFF together and you can use the TV remote to control the volume of the receiver. HDMI-CEC also provides playback functionality with other components, such as your Blu-ray player. For example, you can use the receiver's remote control to operate player functions like Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next Track, or Stop.
Note: HDMI-CEC is not supported by the receiver's HDMI sub output jack. Not all HDMI-CEC compatible components and functions are guaranteed to work.
Remote Connections: The RX-A850 offers a variety of remote connections.
- 12V Trigger Output: The RX-A850 has a programmable minijack output to send a 12-Volt DC turn-on signal to another component that accepts a 12V trigger, such as a power amplifier or motorized projection screen. The trigger is programmed either to work with a specific zone (main room or Zone2) or a specific source.
- Remote Jacks: The receiver has remote input and remote output minijack terminals for use with external IR receivers and compatible Yamaha components.
- RS-232C Port: The AV receiver's RS-232C port provides seamless integration with a wide range of third-party home automation control systems.
The Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A850 replaces these items
- 7-channel amplifier; 100 watts per channel with 2 channels driven
- built-in Wi-Fi allows wireless music playback from networked computers, an iPhone® via AirPlay®, or from music services like Pandora® and Spotify®
- dual zone/dual source output with two HDMI outputs
5 questions already asked