About the Yamaha RX-S601
Big-time sound and features in a compact receiver
Big-time sound and features in a compact receiver
We occasionally see "new" products with an updated model number and not much else, but that's not how Yamaha does things. The RX-S601's compact exterior looks about the same as its predecessor, but inside Yamaha seriously beefed up this receiver's wireless music capabilities. What hasn't changed is that you get 5 channels of home theater power and processing without sacrificing too much space in your component rack or TV stand.
Wireless connectivity takes home entertainment to a new level
With built-in Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and Apple AirPlay, the RX-S601 gives you lots of choices for wireless music streaming. With the receiver connected to your home network, you can access music from around the world through vTuner Internet radio. Built-in support for Pandora® lets you play your favorite custom radio stations directly through the receiver. If you have a premium Spotify® subscription, the RX-S601 lets you make the most of it. Just hit play to start streaming from your wirelessly connected device. If you're outside listening on your phone or tablet, the song will immediately stream to your receiver without interruption when you go back indoors. You can even take calls while listening.
Another huge benefit of the RX-S601's Wi-Fi capability is the free AV Controller app for Apple and Android™. The app turns your portable device into a Wi-Fi remote and lets you customize playback options through its intuitive interface. Some of our customers who use the AV Controller app have said they have no need for the included remote after their initial setup.
More options for smartphones and tablets
Even without a network connection, the RX-S601 makes it easy to enjoy digital music from smartphones and tablets. A front-panel USB port offers a direct digital connection for your iPod®, iPhone, or iPad. Not only does this connection offer improved sound quality over your Apple device's processing, it also lets you control the device with the receiver's remote. Ever wish your compressed digital music files could sound a little fuller? Yamaha's Compressed Music Enhancer helps give MP3s and other lossy formats more depth and detail.
Two rooms, two sources, one receiver
As slim as this receiver is, it will still power a 5.1-channel home theater system for room-filling surround sound. If you're only using stereo speakers in your main room, you can use the surround channels to send audio to a second zone. So while your kids are watching a movie in the living room, you can listen to music on Pandora in the bedroom — all powered by the 'S601.
MusicCast puts whole home audio at your fingertips
Yamaha's MusicCast feature makes it easy to build a whole home wireless audio system starting with the RX-S601. Use your existing Wi-Fi network to stream music to compatible speakers and components in different rooms. Each room's speakers can be controlled independently with the free MusicCast app. The app lets you control playback, browse music sources, and select which rooms you want to use. Listen to the same music throughout your home, or play something different in each room. Access your personal digital music library, Internet radio, and popular streaming services. You can also play Bluetooth sources, sound from your TV, and even CDs and vinyl. MusicCast also supports high-resolution audio formats.
Get the sound right — right out of the box
When it comes to setting up your receiver, Yamaha continues to build some of the most user-friendly models we know of. The RX-S601's YPAO automatic speaker calibration detects and optimizes your speakers using the supplied microphone. Just plug it in, follow the on-screen instructions, and let the receiver do the rest. The color on-screen guide is easy to navigate if you need to tweak settings.
Power and Processing:
- 5-channel amplifier
- 60 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.09% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding
- YPAO (Yamaha Parametric Room Acoustic Optimizer) for automatic speaker calibration and more precise surround sound (microphone included)
- Cinema DSP modes add richness and depth to music and movie soundtracks
- Adaptive Dynamic Range Control limits the volume level on sound effects and commercials for more discreet late-night listening
Digital Music Options:
- built-in Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g/n, 2.4 GHz) for connection to your home network
- Wireless Direct lets you stream music and control the player from a smartphone or tablet without a wireless home network
- includes support for Pandora® Internet radio, and vTuner Internet radio
- Spotify Connect lets you play Spotify's streaming music library through the receiver via your smartphone or tablet (requires Spotify app and a premium subscription)
- built-in Bluetooth lets you wirelessly stream music from compatible devices
- also sends audio wirelessly to Bluetooth-enabled speakers or headphones
- Apple AirPlay for streaming music from an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch® or computer running iTunes
- MusicCast wirelessly connects compatible Yamaha components for whole home audio
- front-panel USB input for connecting an iPod®, iPhone, iPad, or thumb drive
- direct digital connection for iPod or iPhone bypasses the device's digital-to-analog converter for better sound
- plays high-resolution digital music files via USB storage device or a networked computer (PCM up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution; DSD up to 5.6 MHz .dsf files)
- dual-room/dual-source output
- powered stereo audio output for 2nd room (using powered 2nd-room output allows 3.1 home theater in main room)
- optical/coaxial digital and HDMI audio sources cannot be output to Zone 2
Audio Performance Features:
- 24-bit/192kHz Burr-Brown digital-to-analog converters for all channels
- Extra Bass offers enhanced low-frequency response even with small speakers
- Virtual Cinema Front simulates surround sound effects when five connected speakers are all placed in the front of the room
- Ultra Low Jitter PLL circuitry reduces timing jitter from digital sources, for improved sound quality
- Compressed Music Enhancer improves sound quality of MP3s and other digital music files
- HDMI version 2.0 audio/video switching: 6 in, 1 out
- HDCP 2.2 technology ensures compatibility with 4K Ultra HD sources and TVs (HDMI 6 input and monitor output only)
- composite video switching: 3 in, 1 out
- digital audio inputs: 1 optical and 2 coaxial (supports 32kHz to 96kHz)
- 3 pairs of stereo RCA audio inputs
- front-panel minijack (3.5mm) for connecting a smartphone or portable music player
- preamp output for a powered subwoofer
- no phono input to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
- Ethernet port for network connection
- front-panel USB port for audio playback from USB flash drives, hard disk drives, and portable music players
- outputs for 5 speakers (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R)
- 1/4" headphone jack
- slim, compact design for more placement flexibility
- free Yamaha AV Controller app lets you use your Apple or Android device as a Wi-Fi remote
- 4K and 3D video pass-through
- four SCENE presets for one-touch power-up, source selection and DSP recall
- Audio Return Channel (ARC) function receives digital audio signals from a compatible HDTV's tuner or "smart" content via HDMI
- HDMI standby pass-through allows HDMI switching without powering up receiver
- AM/FM tuner
- remote control
- 17-1/8"W x 4-3/8"H x 13-1/16"D (6-15/16"H with Wi-Fi antenna up)
- weight: 17.2 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # RX-S601BL
What's in the box:
- 5.1ch AV receiver
- Wireless remote control (RAV547)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- YPAO microphone
- W-LAN antenna (pre-installed)
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna
- Owner's Manual CD-ROM
- Easy Setup Guide
- Safety Brochure
- Warranty information
- On-line product registration information
- "Yamaha Worldwide Representative Offices" note
- Spotify brochure
Yamaha RX-S601 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Yamaha RX-S601
Features & specs
Yamaha's Total Purity Concept: The Yamaha RX-S601 AV Receiver incorporates Yamaha's Total Purity Concept for the finest sound quality. The Total Purity Concept, which Yamaha has been cultivating for many years, encompasses high drive amp technology, high purity pre-amplification, anti-vibration technology, and independent pure power supplies. As a result, this AV receiver can provide high-quality sound for your movie & music soundtracks.
- High Drive Amp Technology: A fully discrete power amplifier helps maximize sound and minimize distortion of the receiver. The Yamaha RX-S601 AV Receiver is equipped with a 5-channel amplifier rated at 60 watts (into 8-ohms, at 20-20kHz, with 0.09% THD, driving 2 channels) which provides high dynamic power with low-impedance drive capability.
- High Purity Pre-Amplification: The Yamaha RX-S601 uses high quality, audio-grade Burr-Brown 192kHz/24-bit digital-to-analog converters for all channels to maximize sound quality. The AV receiver also utilizes low-jitter PLL circuitry to help optimize sound imaging. The result is a more dynamic sound with greater detail and less distortion.
- Anti-Vibration Technology: The AV receiver's anti-vibration heatsinks suppress vibration from transistors and sound pressure.
- Independent Power Supplies: Independent power supplies are used for the receiver's analog and digital circuitry to prevent digital noise from affecting analog circuitry.
Amplifier Assignment: The Yamaha RX-S601 employs assignable amplifiers for surround speakers, front speaker-bi-amp, or Zone 2 connection.
- Surround: Five speakers are powered in the main room (Front L/R, Center, & Surround L/R).
- 3ch Bi-Amp: Three speakers are powered in the main room (Front L/R, & Center) with the surround speaker amplifier channels reassigned to bi-amp the front speakers. A bi-amplification connection uses two amplifiers for one speaker. One amplifier is connected to the woofer section of a loudspeaker while the other is connected to the combined midrange and tweeter section. With this arrangement each amplifier operates over a limited frequency range, making its job easier.
- 3ch + Zone 2: Three speakers are powered in the main room (Front L/R & Center), while the receiver's surround speaker amplifier channels are reassigned to power a pair of speaker in another room. The Zone 2 feature allows the receiver to send 2-channel audio to a second room, limiting the main listening room to 3.1-channel output. This means that you can enjoy stereo sound in a second room of your home. The same or different analog input sources/volume settings can be applied to both zones. Multichannel sources are mixed down to 2-channels and output to Zone 2.
YPAO Technology: This unit employs the YPAO (Yamaha Parametric Acoustic Optimizer), which automatically adjusts the output of the speakers based on placement, performance, and the room's acoustic characteristics. Yamaha's YPAO system uses a small microphone and sophisticated equalization to automatically set the best sound for any room, no matter where the speakers are. First it checks the speaker connections and phase of each speaker. Then it sends out tones which are captured by the microphone to analyze the room acoustics and sets a variety of parameters; such as the speaker size, the distance of the speakers, and even the volume level; until it achieves the best sound conditions for your room. Using the supplied Optimizer Microphone, YPAO performs the following checks and makes appropriate adjustments to give you the best possible sound from your system:
- Speaker Wiring: Checks which speakers are connected and the polarity of each.
- Speaker Size: Checks the frequency response of each speaker and sets the appropriate crossover frequency for each channel.
- Speaker Distance: Checks the distance of each speaker from the listening position and adjusts the delay of each channel.
- EQ: Each channel has a parametric equalizer; choose one
of three target settings before running the setup.
- Natural: adjusts all speaker to a natural sound; useful when the flat setting sounds too bright
- Flat: use when all the speakers in the system have similar sound characteristics
- Front: EQs the center and rear speakers to sound like the front; useful when your front speakers are better than the others in the system
- Volume Level: Checks and adjusts the volume level of each speaker.
Note: You can also choose to manually adjust the AV receiver's speaker, crossover, & EQ settings.
Multi-Channel Decoding Formats: The Yamaha RX-S601 supports the following multi-channel (Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Pro Logic) decoding formats.
- Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD
- DTS: DTS, DTS-ES, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS Express, DTS 96/24, DTS Neo: 6
- Dolby Pro Logic: Dolby Pro Logic II
Note: Dolby Digital and DTS listening modes can only be selected if your audio source is connected to the AV receiver via a digital audio connection (HDMI, optical, or coaxial). Even though the AV receiver will decode 7.1ch surround sound (via HDMI), it will only output 5.1ch surround, because it lacks Surround Back channel speaker outputs.
Surround Parameters: The Yamaha AV receiver offers the following Dolby Pro Logic II and DTS NEO:6 audio adjustments.
- Dolby Pro Logic II Settings: You can adjust the following parameters in Pro Logic II Music modes: Panorama (sends stereo signals to the surround speakers as well as the front speakers for a wraparound effect), Dimension (adjusts the soundfield either towards the front or towards the rear of the room), and Center Width (moves the center channel output completely towards the center speaker or towards the front left and right speakers).
- Center Image (DTS NEO: 6 Music): This parameter adjusts the front left and right channel output relative to the center channel to make the center channel more or less dominant as necessary.
Cinema DSP Soundfields: Conventional multichannel audio reproduction systems base their sound on Dolby Digital and DTS decoding, using matrix and steering technologies to create surround sound effects. Yamaha Cinema DSP is much more advanced, actually creating richly realized independent soundfields that envelop you in an unmatched surround sound experience. With dialogue, music and effects ideally located in these separate soundfields, you will hear sound with accurate placement, smooth movement, exceptional clarity and richness, and realistic presence. It will seem as if the walls of your room have disappeared and you are in the middle of your own immense theater. The AV receiver offers 17 Cinema DSP programs for movies, music, and games.
- Movie Soundfields: Standard, Spectacle, Sci-Fi, Adventure, Drama, Mono Movie, Sports, Action Game, Role Playing Game
- Music Soundfields: Hall Munich, Hall in Vienna, Chamber, Cellar club, The Roxy Theater, The Bottom Line, Music Video, 5/7ch Stereo
Cinema DSP Modes: The Yamaha RX-S601 AV receiver offers proprietary Yamaha Cinema modes so you can enjoy your movies and music even more in your home; regardless if you are using 5.1 speaker setup, only have a two-channel speaker system, or listening through headphones.
- Cinema DSP 3D: The actually measured soundfield data in recorded soundtracks contain the information of the height of the sound images. CINEMA DSP 3D mode achieves the reproduction of the accurate height of theses sound images so that it can create the accurate and intensive stereoscopic soundfield in your listening room.
- Virtual Cinema DSP: Virtual Cinema DSP is an algorithm that allows you to enjoy DSP soundfield surround effects while using a minimal two-speaker system. Virtual Cinema DSP lets you enjoy the effects of Cinema DSP surround sound without using surround speakers (handy for use in custom installations where some rooms don't have surround speakers). It can be used with the front/center speakers or even with just the two front left and right speakers. This unit will switch to virtual Cinema DSP mode automatically when surround speakers are unavailable.
- Virtual Cinema Front: With Virtual Cinema Front, you will enjoy virtual 5-channel surround sound with higher quality and resolution by installing surround speakers at the front. You get more flexibility to arrange your speakers inside the room, along with easy enjoyment of high quality surround sound.
- Silent Cinema: Silent Cinema makes it possible to hear large-scale surround sound through ordinary headphones. This is a variation of Cinema DSP technology that Yamaha developed to let you listen in private to movies and other multi-channel sources for hours without listening fatigue.
CINEMA DSP Parameters: You can adjust the following parameters of the Cinema DSP modes.
- DSP Level: You can change the receiver's CINEMA DSP effect level (level of the soundfield effect to be added). You can adjust the level of the soundfield effect from -6 dB to +3 dB.
- Delay: Adjusts the delay between the direct sound and the presence soundfield (1-99ms), surround soundfield (1-49ms), and surround back soundfield (1-49ms).
- Room Size: Adjusts the broadening effect (0.1-2.0) of the presence soundfield, surround soundfield, and the surround back sound field.
- Liveness: Adjusts the loss (0-10) of the presence soundfield, surround back soundfield, and surround back soundfield.
- Reverb: Adjusts the delay time of the rear reverberant sound (1.0-5.0s), the delay between the direct sound and rear reverberant sound (0-250ms), and the volume of the reverberant sound (0-100%).
HiFi Sound Modes: The Yamaha RX-S601 offers two HiFi audio modes which bypass the receiver's tone & DSP processing for higher sound quality performance. These HiFi sound modes lets you play back input sources without any soundfield effect processing. When either of theses modes are enabled, each speaker produces its own channel audio signal (without soundfield processing). When playing back 2-channle sources, such as a CD player, stereo sound is heard from the front speakers. When playing back multichannel sources, the receiver produces unprocessed multichannel surround sound.
- Straight: 2-channel stereo sources are output from only the front left and right speakers, while multi-channel sources are decoded straight into the appropriate channels without any additional tone or DSP processing.
- Direct: Turns off the surround and tone circuitry, and dims the front-panel display, allowing sources to bypass the decoders and DSP processors of this unit so you can enjoy pure hi-fi sound from 2-channel or multi-channel sources. During Direct playback no sound is output from the subwoofer.
Compressed Music Enhancer: Yamaha employs sophisticated digital signal processing with exclusive algorithms to enable playback that improves the performance of compressed music formats, including MP3, WMA, and AAC. With the Compressed Music Enhancer, highs and especially lows are richer and smoother, bringing music back to life to be as close to the original as possible.
Dynamic Range Control: The Yamaha RX-S601 employs two Dynamic Range Control functions.
- Adaptive DRC: Adaptive DRC automatically adjusts the dynamic range of the sound according to the volume level. This ensures that you hear clear dialog, vocals, and all sound effects at comfortable levels. There is no need to adjust the volume level as you listen; everything from whispers to big explosions will be heard clearly and comfortably at the same volume setting. It also tones down loud TV commercials and is ideal for low-volume, late-night listening when you do not want to disturb others.
- Dynamic Range: The amount of dynamic range compression applied to bitstream signals is adjustable; Min/Auto is suitable for low volume listening, Standard is typical for home use, and Max doesn't compress the dynamic range at all.
Bass Management: The Yamaha RX-S601 AV receiver provides the following Bass Management settings.
- Bass & Treble: You can adjust the balance of the high-frequency range (Treble) and low-frequency range (Bass) of sounds output from the receiver' front left and right speakers to obtain a desired tone. You can independently adjust the bass (50Hz) and treble (20kHz) from -6dB to +6dB in 0.5 dB increments. The tone control of the speakers or headphones can be set separately.
- Extra Bass: You can select whether to play front channel low-frequencies through either of the front speaker or the subwoofer, or through both the subwoofer and front speakers.
- Subwoofer Trim: The Subwoofer Trim control enhances the low frequencies by avoiding overlap with the front speaker output. This will result in a cleaner, more focused sound stage while providing a seamless frequency response. When subwoofer frequency overlap occurs in conventional systems, the overall sound is "pushed" toward the subwoofer. Subwoofer Trim takes care of this by separating the low subwoofer frequencies cleanly, thus stabilizing the front stage while providing a well-balanced enhanced bass sound.
Volume Setup: The Yamaha RX-S601 allows you to customize the receiver's volume levels.
- Relative Volume: You can choose to display the "Relative" volume scale (-80 to +16dB) or an "Absolute" volume scale (0 to 97).
- Max Volume Adjustment: Use this feature to set the receiver's maximum volume level. This feature is useful to avoid turning the volume too loud by mistake. You can set the Max Volume from -30 dB to +15 dB in 5 dB steps, or to +16.5 dB (full volume range is -80 dB to +16.5 dB).
- Initial Volume Setting: Use this feature to set the volume level when the power is turned on. You can choose between Off (same as the volume when the unit was turned off), Mute, and -80 dB to + 16.5 dB in increments of 0.5 dB.
- Volume Trim: Use this feature to adjust the volume level of each input. This is useful to balance the level of each input to avoid sudden changes in volume when switching between input sources. The range is from -6dB to +6dB in 0.5dB increments.
Audio Inputs/Outputs: The Yamaha RX-S601 offers a variety of analog and digital audio inputs/outputs.
- Digital Inputs: The Yamaha AV receiver is equipped with two optical digital inputs (AV-1/AV-4) and two coaxial digital inputs (AV-2/AV-3).
- Stereo RCA Jacks: The receiver is also equipped with four stereo RCA analog audio inputs and a stereo RCA analog audio record output.
- Sub Output: The AV receiver is fitted with a mono sub output to connect a single powered subwoofer.
- Speaker Terminals: The receiver has binding post terminals for all the speaker outputs. The binding posts can accept bare wire, pin connectors, and single banana plugs. The terminals are spaced too far apart for dual banana plugs and a collar surrounding them prevents the use of spade connectors. You can select 8 ohms or 6 ohms in the menu depending on your speaker application.
- Headphone Jack: The Yamaha RX-S601 is equipped with a front-panel 1/4" headphone jack for connecting a set of headphone, so you can listen to your music privately. Connecting a set of headphones automatically mutes the receiver's speaker outputs. Sound effects applied during playback can also be heard through the headphones.
- Aux Input: The receiver features a front-panel minijack (3.5mm) audio input for connecting an external audio source temporarily.
HDMI 2.0: The Yamaha RX-S601 AV receiver is fitted with six HDMI 2.0 inputs and one HDMI 2.0 output to deliver crystal-clear, all-digital audio and video signals. The HDMI 2.0 jacks support 4K/30Hz and 1080p video signals; as well as 3D video and ARC functionality. Deep Color (30/36 bit), x.v.Color, and auto Lip-Sync compensation is also supported via HDMI. The AV receiver's HDMI jacks support 2-channel and multi-channel linear PCM (up to 8-channel) and Bitstream (Dolby Digital, DTS, etc) digital audio formats.
- 4K/30Hz + HDCP 2.2: This receiver supports the latest HDMI standards thanks to the transmission of 4K video @ 30 frames per second on all HDMI inputs and output. The receiver's HDMI 6 input and HDMI monitor output also supports HDCP 2.2 which fully complies with the latest copyright protection, a standard for 4K video transmission.
- 3D Ready: The Yamaha RX-S601 AV receiver supports 3D HDMI pass-through from connected 3D-compatible Blu-ray, games and broadcast devices to 3D-compatible HDTVs (all 3D components must be connected via HDMI). 3D provides a more engaging audio and video consumer experience. Note that special eyewear may be required for viewing 3D content.
- ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to your receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
- Deep/x.v.Color Support: The AV receiver supports Deep Color and x.v.Color content, which can display a larger color range than standard-definition schemes. The result is a more lifelike, vibrant picture.
- LipSync: This function adjusts the delay between audio and video output. You can do this manually or have the receiver set the LipSync function automatically. When connected to a TV via HDMI the receiver automatically adjusts audio output timing (0-500ms) if the TV supports an automatic LipSync function. You can also manually delay the sound output up to 500ms to synchronize it with the video image.
Note: Via a future firmware update (no ETA), the receiver will also be able to support HDR (high dynamic range) video which provides enhanced picture quality by simultaneously enabling greater detail for both the dark and bright parts of an image.
HDMI Standby Through Mode: When the RX-S601 is in standby mode (power off), the Standby Through feature allows HDMI source signals to pass through the receiver to the TV. The HDMI input can be changed using the remote control. So, there's not need to turn on the A/V receiver in order to switch HDMI sources.
Composite: The receiver features three composite video inputs and one composite video monitor output.
Background Video: The Background Video feature allows you to watch a video source while listening to a different audio source. With the RX-S601, you can select any video input, and listen to AM/FM radio or select songs from a USB device or Bluetooth source at the same time.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Yamaha AV receiver is fitted with a RJ-45 Ethernet (LAN) port to connect the receiver to your home network. The unit also offers built-in WiFi (IEEE 802.11 b/g/n; 2.4GHz) for a wireless network connection; WPS, WEP, WPA-PSK (TKIP), WPA-PSK (AES), WPA2-PSK (AES) security protection is supported. Either network connection gives the receiver access to your DLNA music server and various online music services. Wireless network setup can be done via WPS button, Access Point Scan, Manual Setting, PIN Code, or even through your Apple iOS device (5.0+).
Note: Network setup requires that the receiver be connected to your TV via HDMI for display of the on-screen menu. The receiver's network setup cannot be accessed through its front-panel display.
Internet Radio: The Yamaha RX-S601's network connection provides access to Pandora, Spotify, SiriusXM, Rhapsody, and vTuner Internet Radio online music services. You can control the Internet Radio services from the AV receiver's remote control and on-screen menu (via HDMI). The receiver will display station name, album name, song title, and elapsed time on your HDMI-connected television.
|Pandora||Pandora is free, personalized radio that plays music and comedy you'll love. Just start with the name of one of your favorite artists, songs, comedians or composers and Pandora will create a custom station that plays similar tracks. You can also rate (thumbs up/thumbs down) songs as they play, and Pandora will adapt stations to your feedback. You can even bookmark up to 100 stations and easily switch between favorites.|
|Spotify Connect||With the Spotify app (premium account required) on your Apple iOS or Android smartphone, you've got instant access to millions of songs. And now you can stream those same songs from your smartphone to the Yamaha AV receiver by using Spotify Connect; simply hit play on the app to start streaming music. What's more, when you've been listening to Spotify on your smartphone outside and come inside, the song immediately begins to stream to the receiver for uninterrupted music enjoyment. You can also personalize playlists and receive phone calls while listening to music.|
|SiriusXM||Requires firmware update. SiriusXM Internet Radio lets you listen to over 120 channels of commercial-free music, talk radio, news, sports, entertainment, and more.|
|Rhapsody||Rhapsody is a streaming music subscription service (starting a $10 per month) that allows you to play the full-length songs you choose on demand from a collection of over 10 million songs, without ads and without having to purchase or download the music.|
|vTuner||You can also listen to Internet radio stations using the vTuner Internet Radio Station database service particularly customized for this unit, providing a database of numerous radio stations around the world. You can search for Internet Radio stations by Location, Genre, New, Popular, or Podcast.|
DLNA + WiFi Direct: The Yamaha RX-S601 AV receiver supports music streaming from WiFi-enabled devices (via WiFi Direct) and DLNA certified devices (via your home network). Supported music files include; MP3 (up to 48 kHz), WMA (up to 48 kHz), AAC (up to 48 kHz), ALAC (up to 96 kHz), AIFF (up to 192kHz), WAV (up to 192 kHz), FLAC (up to 192 kHz), and DSD (2.8/5.6MHz).
- WiFi Direct: When using WiFi Direct, you can connect directly with other WiFi-enabled devices without using a wireless router. You'll be able to wirelessly stream a variety of music files to the Yamaha receiver without connecting to your home network. WiFi Direct completely bypasses your WiFi access point/router, so it's easy to set up. You'll continue to navigate your music and view song/artist information from your mobile device.
- DLNA Certified: The RX-S601 is DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5 and Windows 7/8 compliant for audio networking. This means it's easier for you to access and enjoy digital music stored on your PC over your home network. You can use your PC to play high-bit rate music content through your audio system, or use the RX-S601 to browse and play music files on your hard drive. You can control playback of your streamed audio files from the AV receiver's remote control. The receiver also supports ID3-Tag and META tag information so song title, artist name, and album name can be displayed from the unit's on-screen menu (via HDMI). The AV receiver supports the following DLNA music servers - (1) PC with Windows Media Player 11 or later installed, (2) PC with DLNA/UPnP Certificate server software installed, (3) NAS with DLNA/UPnP certification.
AM/FM Tuner: The Yamaha RX-S601 AV receiver features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, and preset tuning. The RX-S601 lets you store up to 40 AM/FM station presets. This can be done manually or automatically (auto-preset tuning). You can set this receiver to automatically match FM broadcast frequencies in stereo, or convert the frequency to monaural for weaker stations. An indoor FM wire antenna and AM loop antenna are included with the receiver.
Web Control: When connected to your network (with Internet connection), you can control the Yamaha AV receiver with the web control screen displayed in your PC's web browser. You'll be able to control functions such as, Power On/Off & Volume. Internet Explorer 9.x, 10.x, 11.x, or Safari 7.x is recommended for web browser.
Firmware Updates: New firmware will be released for the purpose of additional features or product improvements. Firmware updates can be downloaded from the Yamaha website. If this unit is connected to the Internet, the receiver will indicate when a new firmware version is available and you can download the firmware via the network connection. Firmware updates normally take approximately 20 minutes or longer. Check Yamaha's Support Download Site for the most recent firmware updates.
USB Port: This AV receiver is equipped with a front-panel USB (type-A) port that allows you to enjoy a variety of music files stored on a USB mass storage class memory device; such as select Android smartphones (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only), portable MP3 players, or USB thumbdrives (not compatible with USB HDDs). Your USB mass storage class device must be formatted in FAT 16 or FAT32.You can use the receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI) and remote control to navigate your stored music files on your connected USB memory device. USB portable audio players that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the AV receiver's USB port (5V/1A); even in standby mode. Compatible music files include:
- MP3 (up to 48 kHz)
- WMA (up to 48 kHz)
- AAC (up to 48 kHz)
- ALAC (up to 96 kHz)
- AIFF (up to 192 kHz)
- WAV (up to 192 kHz)
- FLAC (up to 192 kHz)
- DSD (2.8/5.6 MHz)
Note: While listening to a song from a USB device, you can view a favorite video or photo from the receiver's monitor output.
iPod/iPhone Connectivity: The Yamaha RX-S601 offers wired (via USB) and wireless (via AirPlay) connectivity for your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
- AirPlay: AirPlay lets you stream your favorite songs directly from your Apple iOS (4.3.3+) device or from your iTunes (10.2.2+) library on your Windows PC or Mac computer to the AV receiver, over your home's wireless network connection. From your Apple iOS device you are able to stream stored music on your device, downloaded music apps, and music on your iCloud to the AV receiver. From your Windows or Mac you can stream your stored iTunes music library on your computer to the AV receiver; you can even download Apple's free Remote App onto your compatible iOS device to browse and control playback functions of the the music stored in your iTunes music library on your computer that is being streamed to the AV receiver. With AirPlay you also get to see song/artist information via the receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI).
- USB Direct: The USB (type-A) port on the front-panel provides convenient connection for your iPod/iPhone so you can listen to your stored music and music apps through the Yamaha AV receiver. The iPod/iPhone USB digital connection means that the digital audio signal from your iPod/iPhone is transmitted directly to the system, minimizing noise interference and allowing use of the receiver's DAC, not the DAC in your iPod/iPhone. This results in more precise sound reproduction. You can navigate your iPod/iPhone's music via the receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI) and remote control, or continue to use your iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen. You can browse your iPod/iPhone's stored music content via Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Genre, or Composer. You can also control Repeat & Shuffle functions. Basic playback functions (such as Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track) for music apps can also be controlled by the AV receiver's remote. Song/artist information from stored music and music apps on your iPod/iPhone will display on your connected TV (via HDMI); the unit's front-panel display will also indicate song/artist text. Your Apple device's battery will be charged while connected to the receiver's front-panel USB port (max. 1A).
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Yamaha AV receiver supports the following Apple devices and functionalities (as of 10/3/2015):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Connector Type||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|USB||AirPlay||Bluetooth||Audio||Video||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Album Art||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Zone 2: The Zone 2 feature allows you to set this receiver to reproduce separate input sources in the main zone and the second zone (Zone 2). The receiver's built-in amplifier can be configured to power speakers in the second zone connected to the Extra Speaker terminals. By using the speaker-level outputs on the AV receiver you can directly connect a secondary pair of speakers in another room of your home, allowing you to listen to 3.1 surround sound in your main room and play a different stereo audio source in the other room. When the receiver is powering speakers in Zone 2, the surround back speakers in the main room are turned off (limiting you to 3.1ch in the main room). The volume of Zone 2 is controlled by the AV receiver.
- Compatible Zone Sources: You can select the
following input sources for Zone 2.
- Analog Audio Inputs
- USB (including iPod/iPhone)
- AirPlay & Bluetooth
- AM/FM Tuner & Internet Radio
- DLNA & Network Content
- Incompatible Zone Sources:
- Optical/coaxial digital and HDMI audio sources are not output to Zone 2.
- You cannot output any video signal to Zone 2.
- Unfortunately, you cannot select Bluetooth, USB, and Network source exclusively for each Zone. For example, if you select "Network Server" for Zone 2 when "USB" is selected for the Main Zone, the input source in the Main Zone also switches to "Network Server".
- You cannot select different AM/FM radio stations for each zone.
Party Mode: The Party Mode allows you to enjoy the AV receiver's Main Zone audio source in Zone 2, simultaneously (regardless of input audio signal types - analog, digital or wireless). During the party mode, stereo playback is automatically selected for all zones. The Main Zone & Zone 2's volume can be adjusted independently. Utilize this function when you want to play back an audio source as background music in two rooms of your home.
MusicCast Wireless Multiroom Streaming: This AV receiver supports Yamaha's MusicCast multiroom audio eco-system, which allows you to wirelessly play back a wide variety of audio sources and content in multiple rooms of your home (additional MusicCast products sold separately). MusicCast works with your home's existing WiFi router and Yamaha's free MusicCast App for Apple iOS and Android devices. You'll be able to stream the receiver's tuner, analog inputs, digital inputs, Bluetooth, and network sources to other MusicCast products installed in your home. In addition, you'll be able to stream your MusicCast products' sources to the AV receiver. MusicCast supports the following source content.
- Analog & Digital Sources: External devices connected to the receiver via HDMI, optical/coax digital, analog, or USB can be played back over the MusicCast eco-system. *Multi-channel content (5.1ch/7.1ch) is down-mixed to 2-channel sound for playback in other rooms without affecting the master room.
- Tuner & Online Music Services: Pandora, Spotify Connect, SiriusXM, Rhapsody, & vTuner can be accessed from the MusicCast app for multiroom playback. The receiver's built-in AM/FM tuner is also supported.
- DLNA: MusicCast supports DLNA, allowing access to DLNA-compatible computers and network attached storage (NAS) devices. With support for WAV, FLAC, and AIFF (up to 192kHz/24-bit), ALAC (up to 96kHz/24-bit), and MP3, WMA, and AAC (up to 48kHz). Master room playback is at the native sampling rate and other rooms down-convert to 48kHz.
- Bluetooth: The receiver's Bluetooth source (SBC codec only) can be streamed to multiple MusicCast devices, so Bluetooth audio can be played in multiple rooms simultaneously. MusicCast devices can also stream out non-Bluetooth sources to most any Bluetooth speaker or headphones (regardless of manufacture), making it convenient to expand MusicCast to your existing audio products.
Note: This feature will require a firmware update.
MusicCast App: The free MusicCast app can be downloaded for Apple (iOS 7.1+) iPod/iPhone/iPad and Android (OS4.1+) smartphones/tablets. The MusicCast app puts control of your whole home listening experience in the palm of your hand from your Apple iOS or Android device. You'll be able to quickly select the room or rooms you want to listen to music in, select the source or sources you want to listen to, browse music content from your music library and online music services or Internet Radio, plus control music playback functions.
- Rooms: Choose which room or rooms you want to listen to music in. You can select a different source for each room, group certain rooms together for playback of the same source, or link all rooms together so the same source is played back throughout the house.
- Source Selection: From the app you can select which source or sources you want to listen to; choose from network-connected devices, select online music services, Internet Radio or Bluetooth. You can also select from the AV receiver's HDMI, digital, analog, and USB inputs.
- Zone Control: You can activate the receiver's Zone function from the app's settings menu. The MusicCast app will then allow you to select inputs and provide basic volume controls on secondary zones.
- Music Browsing: You can browse music libraries from your network-connected devices; like your smartphone, tablet, computer, or laptop. You can also browse music content from select online music services and search Internet Radio stations from the MusicCast app.
- Playback & Song/Artist Info: From the MusiCast app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device you get Volume Up/Down, Play/Pause, and Previous/Next Track; as well as song/artist information and album art.
- Favorites: Internet radio stations, content from select online music services, plus playlists and songs from your network-connected device's music library can be saved as "Favorites" for quick recall within the MusicCast app.
- Personalization & Customization: With the app's unique personalization features, you can choose from preloaded room images or change the color of buttons to represent each room in the home, or even take pictures of their own home and assign the images to each button. The content source buttons can also be customized to rename, remove or reorder selections for easier operation.
Note: Up to 10 MusicCast devices can be controlled by the MusicCast app.
Slim & Compact Design: The slim and compact RX-S601 AV receiver is only 17.125" (w) x 4.375" (h) x 13.0625" (d), and weighs only 17.2 lbs. With its space saving design, the RX-S601 will fit nicely in tight spaces.
Advanced On-Screen Menu: The RX-S601 offers an on-screen (GUI) menu system through its HDMI output. The simple on-screen display combines text and graphics that make setup and other operations extremely easy. If your TV is connected to the composite video or component video monitor output, you will need to use the AV receiver's front-panel display when changing settings. You can set the receiver's on-screen menu language to English, French, Spanish, German, Russian, or Chinese.
Note: Initial setup requires that the receiver be connected to your TV via HDMI for display of the on-screen menu. Many of the receiver's setup functions can only be found via the on-screen menu and not the front-panel display.
Scene (for One-Touch Start): The RX-S601 features four Scene buttons on the front-panel and remote to make operating the receiver easier. Pressing a Scene button will automatically launch a number of operations that initiate play of the source controlled by that button; such as powering on the receiver, switching to the appropriate source input, and recalling the selected DSP surround mode.
Gapless Playback: Many live and classical albums have no gaps in the music. Gapless playback ensures that there are no pauses between audio files. This provides playback with no interruptions, the way it was meant to be heard. Compatible with WAV, FLAC, AIFF, and ALAC music files via USB or DLNA.
Input Rename & Skip: You can rename each input so the display reflects the actual source; choose from 15 templates or create an original name, up to nine characters. If an input isn't being used, you can hide it from the display so you don't have to scroll past it when you change sources.
Display Dimmer: You can set the brightness of the front-panel display from -4 to 0.
ECO Mode: When the ECO Mode is enabled, you can reduce the receiver' power consumption by keeping the maximum volume, maximum output power, and front display's brightness low. ECO mode reduces power consumption by approximately 20%.
Timers: The receiver offers a programmable Sleep Timer and Auto Power Down function.
- Sleep Timer: The receiver's Sleep Timer function can be set turn the unit automatically off after 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
- Auto Power Down: If you don't operate the receiver or use the remote for an extended period of time, the unit will automatically go into standby mode (Auto Power Down function). The Auto Power Down feature is selectable from 2, 4, 8 or 12 hours.
Memory Guard: This feature is used to prevent accidental changes to the DSP program parameter values and other system settings.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The RX-S601 is equipped with built-in Bluetooth (version 2.1+EDR w/ A2DP) which let you easily enjoy wireless audio playback of stored music and music apps from your Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, Windows Phone/PC, Mac computer/laptop, and other Bluetooth-enabled devices through the AV receiver. Song/artist information will be displayed on your HDMI connected TV's screen and the front-panel of the receiver. You'll still use your Bluetooth-enabled device to control music playback.
- SBC + AAC Codecs: In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the Yamaha receiver offers support of AAC. By supporting AAC, the receiver offers better audio performance of the music streamed from your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
- Compressed Music Enhancer: The Yamaha receiver's Compressed Music Enhancer feature is even optimized for Bluetooth audio transmissions to ensure that your music will have vivid, lively sound quality during wireless playback.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Yamaha AV receiver.
AV Controller App: Download Yamaha's free AV Controller App (from Apple's App Store or GooglePlay) onto your Apple iOS (5.0+) or Android (2.1+) device and turn your mobile device into a Wi-Fi enabled remote control for the Yamaha AV receiver. Your Apple iOS or Android device must be connected to the same home network as the Yamaha AV receiver.
- Basic Remote Functions: The AV Controller App provides the flexibility to control input, volume, mute and power commands from your compatible Apple iOS or Android device.
- DSP Controller: You can use the AV Controller App to adjust DSP soundfields & parameters to your preference to match the type of music/movie or the mood you want to achieve. There are two modes - (1) Basic, which lets you adjust the sound space by simply pinching the screen in-and-out; and (2) Advanced, which allows detailed adjustment of various parameters such as reverb, initial delay, and liveness.
- Internal Content Browsing: Using this app on your Apple iOS or Android device, you can browse and listen to content from all internally available sources; such as Internet Radio, Pandora, Spotify, USB devices, and the AM/FM tuner.
- Wireless Music Streaming: From the app, you can browse music stored on your Apple iOS or Android device and wirelessly transfer the content to the Yamaha A/V receiver for playback.
- Zone Control: You can control power on/off, source selection, volume and other functions of Zone 2. Customization such as changing zone icon and renaming zone is also supported.
- Blu-Ray Player: This App not only controls the Yamaha AV receiver, it also controls Yamaha Blu-ray Disc Players, supporting various functions including Play/Pause, Stop, Fast Forward/Rewind, and Previous/Next Track.
AV Setup Guide App: Download Yamaha's AV Setup Guide App (from Apple's App Store or GooglePlay) onto your Apple iPad (iOS 6.0+) or Android tablet (OS 4.0+) for assistance with connecting cables between the Yamaha AV receiver and your source devices as well as AV receiver setup. This app guides you through various settings including speaker connections, TV and source device connections, plus assigning the power amplifier. Once you have completed the setup guide, settings from this app will automatically be copied to your network-connected AV receiver for quick and easy setup.
IR Remote + HDMI-CEC: The receiver comes with an IR remote control for wireless operation of this receiver and other HDMI-connected sources (via HDMI CEC). HDMI-CEC synchronizes the operation of this unit with other HDMI-CEC devices when connected via HDMI. When the AV receiver is connected to a HDMI-CEC compatible TV, they will turn ON/OFF together and you can use the TV remote to control the volume of the receiver. HDMI-CEC also provides playback functionality with other components, such as your Blu-ray player. For example, you can use the receiver's remote control to operate player functions like Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next Track, or Stop.
Note: Not all HDMI-CEC compatible components and functions are guaranteed to work.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
4 questions already asked