About the Yamaha RX-V463
The RX-V463 teams five channels of home theater power with Yamaha's Cinema DSP modes to deliver surround sound realism for all your movies, TV shows, music, and video games. Auto calibration makes accurate surround sound setup easy the 'V463 automatically optimizes the settings for each speaker in your system. You also get convenient 1080p HDMI switching for two high-def components. Connect Yamaha's optional iPod® dock to integrate your iPod into your A/V system. For even more entertainment options, the 'V463 is SIRIUS and XM satellite radio ready. Just add the XM Mini-Tuner and Home Dock to tune in XM channels, or the SiriusConnect Home tuner to enjoy your favorite SIRIUS programs.
Preset "SCENE" buttons for easy operation
Yamaha's special SCENE modes let you get to your entertainment sources in a hurry. Just press one of the four preset SCENE buttons on the receiver's front panel or remote, and the 'V463 automatically switches to the correct input setting and sound mode for DVD viewing, disc listening, TV viewing, or radio listening. Plus, you can individually reprogram each button for different activities of your choice, such as playing video games, listening to your iPod, and more.
- 105 watts x 5 into 8 ohms (1k Hz) at 0.9% THD
- Dolby® Digital, DTS®, and Pro Logic® II processing
- YPAO (Yamaha Parametric Room Acoustic Optimizer) sound optimization for easy automatic speaker setup (microphone included)
- Cinema DSP modes
- SCENE presets for easier source switching
- XM Satellite Radio Ready (requires XM subscription and optional XM Mini-Tuner package)
- Neural Surround decoder for XM's HD Surround channels
- SIRIUS satellite radio capable (requires SIRIUS subscription and optional SiriusConnect home tuner kit)
- iPod integration (requires optional Yamaha YDS-10)
- Compressed Music Enhancer for better sound from MP3s and other digital music files
- 192kHz/24-bit Burr-Brown digital-to-analog converters for all channels
- Direct mode for better sound from stereo sources
- Silent Cinema for simulated surround sound via standard stereo headphones
- 40 AM/FM presets
- multibrand remote
- 17-1/8"W x 5-15/16"H x 13-7/8"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- 1080p-compatible HDMI switching (2 in, 1 out)
- component video switching: 3 in, 1 out
- 4 audio/video inputs, including:
- 1 front-panel input with composite video
- 3 rear-panel inputs with composite video
- 2 audio-only inputs
- no phono input
- front-panel minijack for connecting portable audio player
- digital audio inputs: 2 optical, 1 coaxial
- 5.1-channel analog audio preamp input
- binding post speaker terminals
- 2 sets of main speaker outputs
- MFR # RXV463BL
What's in the box:
- Black AM/FM/Dolby Digital/DTS receiver
- Wireless remote control (RAV280)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Acoustic Optimizer microphone with attached 19.75' cable (has 3.5mm miniplug on the end)
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna (with push-on "F" connector)
- Owner's Manual
- Warranty information
- On-line product registration information
- Front panel and remote diagram sheet
- Manual correction
Yamaha RX-V463 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Yamaha RX-V463
Features & specs
SCENE: The RX-V463 features four Scene buttons on the front panel and remote to make operating the receiver easier. These buttons are initially set to default settings for DVD viewing, Disc listening, TV viewing, and Radio listening. You can also program a Scene button for iPod listening, XM listening, TV sports viewing, etc. There are 17 Scene templates that can be used for various situations. You can also create custom Scene programs.
Silent Cinema: The Silent Cinema mode allows private listening of multi-channel music or movies, with an accurate simulation of surround sound, through ordinary stereo headphones. Silent Cinema activates automatically whenever you connect headphones while surround sound is engaged.
Compressed Music Enhancer: Compressed formats such as MP3, WMA, and AAC generally remove sounds that are indistinguishable to typical human hearing, resulting in a loss of fidelity. The Compressed Music Enhancer, two-channel and 5-channel, regenerates the missing harmonics in compression artifacts and compensates for the loss of low- and high-frequencies to provide improved performance.
YPAO Technology: This unit employs the YPAO (Yamaha Parametric Room Acoustic Optimizer), which helps you automatically achieve highly accurate sound adjustments. Using the supplied Optimizer Microphone, YPAO performs the following checks and makes appropriate adjustments to give you the best possible sound from your system:
- Speaker Wiring: Checks which speakers are connected and the polarity of each speaker.
- Speaker Distance: Checks the distance of each speaker from the listening position and adjusts the timing of each channel.
- Speaker Size: Checks the frequency response of each speaker and sets the appropriate low-frequency crossover for each channel.
- Volume Level: Checks and adjusts the volume level of each speaker.
Wide-range Frequency Response: The receiver's wide-range frequency response, 10Hz to 100kHz, allows you to enjoy the full fidelity of DVD-Audio and Super-Audio CD players.
192kHz/24-bit DAC: The RX-V463 uses high quality, audio-grade Burr-Brown 192kHz/24-bit digital-to-analog converters for all channels to maximize sound quality.
On-screen Display: The receiver features on-screen display menus that allow you to optimize this unit to suit your individual audiovisual system.
iPod Universal Dock: With the optional YDS-10 or YDS-11 iPod Universal Dock (item numbers 022YDS10, 022YDS11) you can connect your iPod digital music player to the RX-V463, and control audio and video playback using the remote control. Most fourth generation and later iPods (Click Wheel) are compatible.
Bluetooth: An optional YBA-10 Bluetooth adapter can be connected to the dock port on the RX-V463 and you can stream audio wirelessly from your compatible Bluetooth device.
XM Satellite Ready: You can listen to XM Satellite Radio by connecting the XM Mini Tuner and Mini Tuner Home Kit (package item number 700XMTUNPK) to the RX-V463's proprietary plug. A 50' extension cable is available if the Home Kit's 25' cable is not long enough. XM Satellite Radio offers over 150 commercial-free channels of music, news, sports, comedy, talk, and entertainment to choose from--all in digital quality. During XM playback, you can display the channel number and name, category, artist name, and song title on the front panel.
Note: A subscription is required in order to receive XM Satellite Radio.
Neural Surround: Neural Surround has been adopted by XM Satellite Radio for digital radio broadcasts of XM HD Surround recordings and live events in surround sound. Neural Surround employs psychoacoustic frequency domain processing which allows delivery of a more detailed sound stage with superior channel separation and localization of audio elements. XM HD provides content with six discrete channels of digital full fidelity audio. Only a handful of XM channels are offering programming in XM HD Surround.
SIRIUS Satellite Ready: You can listen to SIRIUS Satellite Radio by connecting the Sirius Connect tuner (item number 607SCH1) to the RX-V463's proprietary plug. SIRIUS Satellite Radio offers over 130 channels of music, news, sports, talk, and entertainment to choose from--all in digital quality. During SIRIUS playback you can display the channel number and name, category, artist name and song title, Composer name, channel number and antenna reception level, or Soundfield program on the front panel.
Note: A subscription is required in order to receive SIRIUS Satellite Radio.
Surround Modes: The RX-V463 offers the following Surround Modes for movies and music:
- Decoding Formats:
- Dolby Digital
- DTS Digital Surround
- Dolby Pro Logic
- Dolby Pro Logic II (Music, Movie, and Game)
- Neural Surround
- Hi-Fi DSP Modes:
- 5-Channel stereo
- Cinema DSP Modes:
- TV Sports
- Spacious Movie
- Dramatic Movie
- Virtual Cinema
- Compressed Music Enhancer: 2-channel Enhancer, 5-channel Enhancer
Pro Logic II Parameters: You can adjust the following parameters in Pro Logic II Music mode:
- Panorama: sends stereo signals to the surround speakers as well as the front speakers for a wraparound effect
- Dimension: adjusts the soundfield either towards the front or towards the rear of the room
- Center Width: moves the center channel output completely towards the center speaker or towards the front left and right speakers
Speaker Setup: This feature allows you to manually adjust the following speaker settings:
- LFE/Bass Out: select the speakers that will output the LFE (low-frequency effect) channel and the other low-frequency signals
- Speaker Sizes: select from the following speaker sizes for each speaker in your system:
- Front: Large or Small
- Center: Large, Small, or None
- Surround: Large, Small, or None
- Bass Crossover: select the crossover frequency of all the speakers set to Small; choose between 40, 60, 80, 90, 100, 110, 120, 160, and 200Hz
- Subwoofer Phase: switch the phase of your subwoofer between Normal and Reverse
- Speaker Level Adjustment: adjust the output level of each speaker from -10dB to +10dB in 1dB steps (relative to the main volume)
- Speaker Distance: adjust the distance from the listener to each speaker (and subsequently the delay applied to the respective channel); select from 1 to 80 feet in 0.5 foot steps
Center Channel Equalizer: The RX-V463 has a five band graphic equalizer specifically for the center channel speaker. The frequency bands are centered at 100 Hz, 300 Hz, 1 kHz, 3 kHz, and 10 kHz. Gain adjustments are in 0.5 dB increments from -6dB to +6dB.
Low-Frequency Effect Level: This feature adjusts the output level of the LFE channel according to the capacity of your subwoofer or headphones. Select from -20 to 0dB in 1 dB steps.
Dynamic Range: This feature allows you to select the amount of dynamic range compression to be applied to Dolby Digital and DTS bitstream signals. There are separate settings for the speakers and headphones.
Bass and Treble Control: You can independently adjust the bass and treble from -10dB to +10dB in 2 dB increments.
Virtual Cinema DSP: Virtual Cinema DSP is an algorithm that allows you to enjoy DSP soundfield surround effects while using a minimal two-speaker system.
Straight Decoding Mode: When the unit is in the Straight mode, 2-channel stereo sources are output from only the front left and right speakers while multi-channel sources are decoded straight into the appropriate channels without any additional effect processing.
Direct: The Direct mode turns off the surround and tone circuitry, and dims the front panel display, allowing sources to bypass the decoders and DSP processors of this unit so you can enjoy pure hi-fi sound from 2-channel PCM and analog sources. During Direct playback, tone control and sound menu settings are not available and no sound is output from the subwoofer.
Impedance Selection: You can select between either 8 ohms or 6 ohms in the menu depending on your speaker application.
Audio Delay: You can delay the sound output up to 160 ms to synchronize it with the video image.
Background Video: You can combine a video image from a video source with sound from an audio source so you can have a background video display while listening to your music.
Max Volume Adjustment: Use this feature to set the maximum volume level in the main zone. This feature is useful to avoid unexpected loud sound by mistake. You can set the Max Volume to +16 dB, or within the range from -30 dB to +10 dB in 5 dB steps. The full volume range is -80 dB to +16 dB.
Initial Volume Setting: Use this feature to set the volume level of the main zone when the power of this unit is turned on. You can choose between Off (same as the volume when the unit was turned off), Mute, and -80 dB to + 16 dB in increments of 1 dB.
Volume Trim: Use this feature to adjust the level of the signal input at each jack. This is useful if you want to balance the level of each input source to avoid sudden changes in volume when switching between input sources. The range is from -6 dB to +6 dB in 1 dB increments.
Sleep Timer: The receiver's Sleep Timer function can be set turn the unit automatically off after 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Memory Guard: This feature is used to prevent accidental changes to the DSP program parameter values and other system settings.
Multi-brand Remote Control: The receiver comes with a multi-brand wireless remote control (RAV280). In addition to the receiver, the remote can control multiple brands of TVs, DVD player/recorders, DVRs, VCRs, etc.
Assignable Inputs: You can assign the HDMI and digital audio inputs to the component being used with that input. Each HDMI input can be assigned to DVD, DVR, V-Aux (front panel), or DTV/CBL. The coaxial and optical digital inputs can be assigned to any of the six inputs.
1080p HDMI Inputs/Output: There are two 1.2a HDMI inputs and one output on the rear panel. These HDMI jacks can be used for 2-channel and multi-channel linear PCM (up to 6-channel) and Bitstream (Dolby Digital and DTS) digital audio formats as well as digital video signals up to 1080p resolution (including 1080/24p).
HDTV-compatible Component Video: The RX-V463 offers three component video inputs and a component video monitor output. These inputs and outputs have a frequency response of 5 Hz to 60 MHz and will pass High Definition video sources.
Front Panel Input: The front panel's Video Aux input features analog stereo RCA, composite video, and a stereo mini-plug. Note: If an iPod or Bluetooth audio device is connected to the rear panel Dock port, the front panel input is disabled.
Multi-channel Analog Input: This unit has a discrete 5.1-channel analog input for connecting DVD-Audio and Super-Audio CD players or an external decoder.
Speaker Terminals: The receiver has binding post terminals for all the speaker outputs. The binding posts can accept bare wire, pin connectors, and single banana plugs. The terminals are spaced too far apart for dual banana plugs. The collar surrounding the binding post terminals prevent the use of spade connectors.