About the Yamaha RX-V663
The RX-V663 features time-tested Yamaha construction to deliver thrilling home theater audio performance. You get seven channels of clean, high-current amplification and exclusive Yamaha Cinema DSP processing that can transform all your movies, music, and TV shows into powerful, room-filling surround sound. It also includes built-in decoding for Dolby® True HD and DTS-HD® Master Audio two up and coming high-resolution surround sound formats available with some Blu-ray Disc players and movie titles.
Quick, accurate auto setup
Yamaha's sophisticated YPAO auto-calibration system enables easy, precise home theater setup. Plug in the included microphone and place it in your favorite seat. The receiver analyzes the size, volume, relative distance, and frequency response of every speaker in your home theater system, adjusting the settings for each one individually. In minutes, your receiver configures itself for optimum performance with your specific speakers and their placement within the room.
Versatile video switching with analog-to-HDMI conversion
This receiver's HDMI connections let you switch easily between two digital video sources like a high-def satellite or cable box and a Blu-ray player while maintaining pristine picture quality for both. And analog-to-HDMI conversion means you can send all of your older, non-digital video sources to your TV through a single HDMI cable. Select components using the receiver's remote you'll never have to switch inputs on your TV again.
Preset "SCENE" buttons for easy operation
Yamaha's special SCENE modes let you get to your entertainment sources in a hurry. Just press one of the four preset SCENE buttons on the receiver's front panel or remote, and the 'V663 automatically switches to the correct input setting and sound mode for DVD viewing, disc listening, TV viewing, or radio listening. Plus, you can individually reprogram each button for different activities of your choice, such as playing video games, iPod listening with an optional docking station, and more.
- 95 watts x 7 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.06% THD
- Dolby® True HD, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby® Digital Plus, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, Dolby® Digital EX, DTS-ES, Pro Logic® IIx, and DTS Neo:6 decoding
- improved YPAO sound optimization for more precise automatic speaker setup (microphone included)
- Fine-Tuned Cinema DSP modes and Adaptive DSP level
- XM Satellite Radio Ready (requires XM subscription and optional XM Mini-Tuner package)
- Neural Surround decoder for XM's HD Surround channels
- SIRIUS satellite radio capable (requires SIRIUS subscription and optional SiriusConnect home tuner kit)
- iPod integration (requires optional Yamaha YDS-11)
- improved Compressed Music Enhancer with multi-channel processing for MP3s and other digital music files
- dual-room/dual-source audio (powered and line-level stereo audio output for 2nd room)
- Digital ToP-ART design
- high-current, low-impedance amplifier construction
- 192kHz/24-bit Burr-Brown digital-to-analog converters for all channels
- Pure Direct mode for better sound from stereo sources
- Silent Cinema for simulated surround sound via standard stereo headphones
- 40 AM/FM presets
- multibrand remote
- 17-1/8"W x 6-3/4"H x 15-1/2"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- 1080p-compatible HDMI switching (2 in, 1 out)
- HDMI version 1.3a with support for Deep Color, x.v. Color, 120Hz and 24HZ refresh rates, and auto lip-sync
- analog-to-HDMI video conversion
- 480i (interlaced) to 480p (progressive) conversion
- component video switching: 3 in, 1 out
- analog video conversion (composite to S-video, or composite and S-video to component)
- 5 audio/video inputs, including:
- 1 front-panel input with composite and S-video
- 4 rear-panel inputs with composite and S-video
- 2 audio-only inputs
- no phono input
- digital audio inputs: 3 optical (including 1 front-panel), 2 coaxial
- 7.1-channel analog audio preamp input
- 7.2-channel preamp output for connecting optional external amplifiers and up to 2 (mono) powered subwoofers
- back surround speaker channels re-assignable for bi-amping front left and right speakers
- binding post speaker terminals
- MFR # RXV663BL
What's in the box:
- Black AM/FM/Dolby Digital/DTS receiver
- Wireless remote control (RAV285)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Acoustic Optimizer microphone with attached 19.75' cable (has 3.5mm miniplug on the end)
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna (with push-on "F" connector)
- Owner's Manual
- Warranty information
- On-line product registration information
- Front panel and remote diagram sheet
- Manual correction
Yamaha RX-V663 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Yamaha RX-V663
Features & specs
Next Generation Surround Sound: The RX-V663 offers the latest high definition surround sound formats supported by Blu-ray Disc and HD-DVD players:
- Dolby TrueHD: a lossless coding technology that supports up to 8 channels of multi-channel surround sound for the next generation optical discs; the reproduced sound is true to the original source bit-for-bit
- Dolby Digital Plus: developed as an extension to Dolby Digital, the coding technology supports 7.1 discrete channels
- DTS-HD Master Audio: an advanced lossless technology that delivers sound that is bit-for-bit identical to the studio master, offering a high-definition home theater experience
- DTS-HD High Resolution Audio: high resolution audio, virtually indistinguishable from the original audio track
Cinema DSP Digital: Yamaha's proprietary Cinema DSP (Digital Soundfield Processing) Digital technology goes beyond Dolby Digital and DTS decoding. Cinema DSP Digital draws on a huge memory of real-world data from actual venues, especially for the music programs, and input from movie sound technicians to deliver a more realistic surround experience.
SCENE: The RX-V663 features four Scene buttons on the front panel and remote to make operating the receiver easier. These buttons are initially set to default settings for DVD viewing, Disc listening, TV viewing, and Radio listening. You can also program a Scene button for iPod listening, XM listening, TV sports viewing, or Action Game playing. There are 18 Scene templates that can be used for various situations.
Silent Cinema: The Silent Cinema mode allows private listening of multi-channel music or movies, with an accurate simulation of surround sound, through ordinary stereo headphones. Silent Cinema activates automatically whenever you connect headphones while surround sound is engaged.
Compressed Music Enhancer: Compressed formats such as MP3, WMA, and AAC generally remove sounds that are indistinguishable to typical human hearing, resulting in a loss of fidelity. The Compressed Music Enhancer, two-channel and 7-channel, regenerates the missing harmonics in compression artifacts and compensates for the loss of low- and high-frequencies to provide improved performance.
YPAO Technology: This unit employs the YPAO (Yamaha Parametric Room Acoustic Optimizer), which helps you automatically achieve highly accurate sound adjustments. Using the supplied Optimizer Microphone, YPAO performs the following checks and makes appropriate adjustments to give you the best possible sound from your system:
- Speaker Wiring: Checks which speakers are connected and the polarity of each speaker.
- Speaker Distance: Checks the distance of each speaker from the listening position and adjusts the timing of each channel.
- Speaker Size: Checks the frequency response of each speaker and sets the appropriate low-frequency crossover for each channel.
- Parametric EQ: Adjusts the frequency and the parametric equalizer level of each channel to reduce coloration across the channels and create a cohesive soundfield. This is particularly important if you use different brands and sizes of speakers, or if you have a room with unique sonic characteristics.
- Volume Level: Checks and adjusts the volume level of each speaker.
Digital ToP-ART/High Current Amplification: Yamaha uses the Digital ToP-ART (Total Purity Audio Reproduction Technology) design concept, which combines the latest and best technologies, parts, and circuit designs, to maximize sound quality. High Current Amplification uses superior quality components from input to output to achieve high current power with low impedance.
Wide-range Frequency Response: The receiver's wide-range frequency response, 10Hz to 100kHz, allows you to enjoy the full fidelity of DVD-Audio and Super-Audio CD players.
192kHz/24-bit DAC: The RX-V663 uses high quality, audio-grade Burr-Brown 192kHz/24-bit digital-to-analog converters for all channels to maximize sound quality.
Video Up-conversion: Video up-conversion allows analog video signals from composite, S-video, and component video sources to be output as digital video signals through the HDMI output. In addition, component video signals can be output as S-video or composite signals, S-video signals can be output as composite or component video signals, and composite video signals can be output as S-video or component video signals. You cannot convert HDMI input signals to any other type of signal.
On-screen Display: The receiver features on-screen display menus that allow you to optimize this unit to suit your individual audiovisual system.
Presence Speakers: The receiver has a pair of speaker terminals that can be used for Presence speakers, Front B speakers, or for driving a pair of speakers in Zone 2. The presence speakers supplement the sound from the front speakers with extra ambient effects produced by Cinema DSP. These effects include sounds that the filmmakers intended to locate a little farther back behind the screen in order to create more theater-like ambience. The Presence speakers should be placed at the front of the room 1-3 feet outside the front speakers and at least 6 feet off the floor.
Note: You must select in the menu whether the speaker terminals are being used for Presence, Front B, or Zone 2.
Dual Zone Capability: The RX-V663 allows you to play two different sources in two zones. The receiver has a pair of stereo preamp outputs and a pair of speaker terminals for Zone 2. Only sources that are connected via analog audio inputs can be output to Zone 2. You can control the receiver from the second zone using the supplied remote control when an infrared signal repeater system is used. If you're using the Zone 2 preamp outputs, a separate amplifier or stereo receiver with a pair of speakers, or a powered speaker system are required.
iPod Universal Dock: With the optional YDS-10 or YDS-11 iPod Universal Dock (item numbers 022YDS10/022YDS11) you can connect your iPod digital music player to the RX-V663, and control audio/video playback using the remote control. Most fourth generation and later iPods (Click Wheel) are compatible.
Bluetooth: An optional YBA-10 Bluetooth adapter can be connected to the dock port on the RX-V663 and you can stream audio wirelessly from your compatible Bluetooth device.
XM Satellite Ready: You can listen to XM Satellite Radio by connecting the XM Mini Tuner and Mini Tuner Home Kit (package item number 700XMTUNPK) to the RX-V663's proprietary plug. A 50' extension cable is available if the Home Kit's 25' cable is not long enough. XM Satellite Radio offers over 150 commercial-free channels of music, news, sports, comedy, talk, and entertainment to choose from--all in digital quality. During XM playback, you can display the channel number and name, category, artist name, and song title on the front panel.
Note: A subscription is required in order to receive XM Satellite Radio.
Neural Surround: Neural Surround has been adopted by XM Satellite Radio for digital radio broadcasts of XM HD Surround recordings and live events in surround sound. Neural Surround employs psychoacoustic frequency domain processing which allows delivery of a more detailed sound stage with superior channel separation and localization of audio elements. XM HD provides content with six discrete channels of digital full fidelity audio. Only a handful of XM channels are offering programming in XM HD Surround.
SIRIUS Satellite Ready: You can listen to SIRIUS Satellite Radio by connecting the Sirius Connect tuner (item number 607SCH1) to the RX-V663's proprietary plug. SIRIUS Satellite Radio offers over 130 channels of music, news, sports, talk, and entertainment to choose from--all in digital quality. During SIRIUS playback you can display the channel number and name, category, artist name and song title, Composer name, channel number and antenna reception level, or Soundfield program on the front panel.
Note: A subscription is required in order to receive SIRIUS Satellite Radio.
Surround Modes: The RX-V663 offers the following Surround Modes for movies and music:
- Decoding Formats:
- Dolby TrueHD
- Dolby Digital Plus
- Dolby Digital
- Dolby Digital EX
- DTS-HD Master Audio
- DTS-HD High Resolution Audio
- DTS Express
- DTS Digital Surround
- DTS 96/24
- DTS-ES Matrix 6.1
- DTS-ES Discrete 6.1
- Dolby Pro Logic
- Dolby Pro Logic II (Music, Movie, and Game)
- Dolby Pro Logic IIx (Music, Movie, and Game)
- DTS Neo:6 (Music and Cinema)
- Neural Surround
- Hi-Fi DSP Modes:
- Classical: Hall in Vienna, Hall in Munich, Chamber
- Live/Club: Cellar Club, The Bottom Line, The Roxy Theatre
- Stereo: 2-channel stereo, 7-channel stereo
- Cinema DSP Modes:
- Entertainment: Sports, Action Game, Role-playing Game, Music Video
- Movie: Standard, Spectacle, Sci-Fi, Adventure, Drama, Mono Movie
- Virtual Cinema: enjoy virtual surround with two speakers
- Compressed Music Enhancer: 2-channel Enhancer, 7-channel Enhancer
Pro Logic II/x Parameters: You can adjust the following parameters in Pro Logic II and Pro Logic IIx Music modes.
- Panorama: sends stereo signals to the surround speakers as well as the front speakers for a wraparound effect
- Dimension: adjusts the soundfield either towards the front or towards the rear of the room
- Center Width: moves the center channel output completely towards the center speaker or towards the front left and right speakers
Center Image (DTS NEO: 6 Music): This parameter adjusts the front left and right channel output relative to the center channel to make the center channel more or less dominant as necessary.
DTS Express: DTS Express is an audio technology used with an optional feature on some Blu-ray Discs and HD DVDs. It offers high-quality low bit rate audio optimized for network streaming and Internet applications. The Secondary Audio of Blu-ray Disc or the Sub Audio of HD DVD from the Internet is mixed with the main audio stream on the player, then sent to the receiver via coaxial or optical digital, or analog connections.
Soundfield Parameter Adjustments: You can adjust the value of certain digital soundfield parameters so that the soundfields are recreated accurately in your listening room. The following is a list and description of the soundfield adjustments:
- DSP Levels: adjusts the level of all the DSP effect sounds within a narrow range depending on your the acoustics of your listening area; adjust between -6dB to +3dB
- Dialog Lift: when Presence speakers are in use you can activate the Dialog Lift feature, which assigns some of the front and center channel elements to the presence speakers to lift the dialog to a higher position; the effect of the Dialog Lift is set between 0 (no lift) and 5 (maximum lift)
- Initial Delay: changes the apparent distance from the speaker to the reflecting surface (wall) by adjusting the delay between the direct sound and the first reflection heard by the listener, select between 1ms and 99ms for the Main and Presence speakers and between 1ms and 49ms for the surround and surround back speakers
- Room Size: adjust the apparent size of the surround soundfield, make adjustments for the Presence, Surround, and Surround Back room size; adjust between 0.1 (small) and 2.0 (large)
- Liveness: adjusts the reflectivity of the virtual walls in the hall by changing the rate at which the early reflections decay; adjust the Surround and Surround Back Liveness from 0 to 10.
- Reverberation Time: adjusts the amount of time taken for the dense, subsequent reverberation sound to decay by 60 dB at 1 kHz; set this between 1.0s and 5.0s
- Reverberation Delay: adjusts the time difference between the beginning of the direct sound and the beginning of the reverberation sound; set between 0 and 250ms
- Reverberation Level: adjusts the volume of the reverberation sound; set between 0 and 100%
Speaker Setup: This feature allows you to manually adjust the following speaker settings:
- LFE/Bass Out: select the speakers that will output the LFE (low-frequency effect) channel and the other low-frequency signals
- Speaker Sizes: select from the following speaker sizes for each speaker in your system:
- Front: Large or Small
- Center: Large, Small, or None
- Surround: Large, Small, or None
- Surround Back: Large x 1, Large x 2, Small x 1, Small x 2, or None
- Presence Speakers: select on or off using Extra Speaker jack assignment
- Bass Crossover: select the crossover frequency of all the speakers set to Small; choose between 40, 60, 80, 90, 100, 110, 120, 160, and 200Hz
- Subwoofer Phase: switch the phase of your subwoofer between Normal and Reverse
- Speaker Level Adjustment: adjust the output level of each speaker from -10dB to +10dB in 0.5dB steps (relative to the main volume)
- Speaker Distance: adjust the distance from the listener to each speaker (and subsequently the delay applied to the respective channel); select from 1 to 80 feet in 0.5 foot steps
Equalizer: In addition to the YPAO technology, the RX-V663 employs an independent seven band graphic equalizer for each of the seven full range channels. The frequency bands are centered at 63, 160, 400, 1k, 2.5k, 6.3k, and 16kHz. Gain adjustments are in 0.5 dB increments from -6dB to +6dB.
Low-Frequency Effect Level: This feature adjusts the output level of the LFE channel according to the capacity of your subwoofer or headphones. Select from -20 to 0dB in 1 dB steps.
Dynamic Range: This feature allows you to select the amount of dynamic range compression to be applied to bitstream signals. There are separate settings for the speakers and headphones.
Adaptive Dynamic Range Control (Adaptive DRC): During low-volume listening, such as late as night, dynamic range suffers and some sounds are missed. The effect of Adaptive DRC varies with volume, at lower volume the dynamic range is narrowed.
Bass and Treble Control: You can independently adjust the bass and treble from -10dB to +10dB in 2 dB increments.
Virtual Cinema DSP: Virtual Cinema DSP is an algorithm that allows you to enjoy DSP soundfield surround effects while using a minimal two-speaker system.
Straight Decoding Mode: When the unit is in the Straight mode, 2 -channel stereo sources are output from only the front left and right speakers while multi-channel sources are decoded straight into the appropriate channels without any additional effect processing.
Pure Direct: The Pure Direct mode turns off the video, surround, and tone circuitry, and the front panel display, allowing sources to bypass the decoders and DSP processors of this unit so you can enjoy pure hi-fi sound from 2-channel PCM and analog sources. During Pure Direct playback, tone control and sound menu settings are not available, no sound is output from the subwoofer, and the front panel automatically turns off.
Impedance Selection: You can select between either 8 ohms or 6 ohms in the menu depending on your speaker application. The amplifier's front channels can actually accommodate 4 ohm, 6 ohm, or 8 ohm speakers. The remainder of the receiver's channels can handle 6 or 8 ohms.
Audio Delay: You can delay the sound output up to 240 ms to synchronize it with the video image.
Background Video: You can combine a video image from a video source with sound from an audio source so you can have a background video display while listening to your music.
Max Volume Adjustment: Use this feature to set the maximum volume level in the main zone. This feature is useful to avoid unexpected loud sound by mistake. You can set the Max Volume to +16.5 dB, or within the range from -30.0 dB to +15.0 dB in 5 dB steps. The full volume range is -80 dB to +16.5 dB.
Initial Volume Setting: Use this feature to set the volume level of the main zone when the power of this unit is turned on. You can choose between Off (same as the volume when the unit was turned off), Mute, and -80 dB to + 16.5 dB in increments of 0.5 dB.
Volume Trim: Use this feature to adjust the level of the signal input at each jack. This is useful if you want to balance the level of each input source to avoid sudden changes in volume when switching between input sources. The range is from -6 dB to +6 dB in 0.5 dB increments.
Sleep Timer: The receiver's Sleep Timer function can be set turn the unit automatically off after 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Memory Guard: This feature is used to prevent accidental changes to the DSP program parameter values and other system settings.
Multi-brand Remote Control: The receiver comes with a multi-brand wireless remote control (RAV285). In addition to the receiver, the remote can control multiple brands of TVs, DVD player/recorders, DVRs, VCRs, etc.
Assignable Inputs: You can assign the HDMI, component video and digital inputs to the component being used with that input. Select component video, HDMI, coaxial input, and optical input for the audio/video inputs; coaxial input and optical input for the audio inputs (CD and MD/CD-R).
1080p HDMI Inputs/Output: There are two 1.3a HDMI inputs and one output on the rear panel. These HDMI jacks can be used for 2-channel and multi-channel linear PCM (up to 8-channel), Direct Stream Digital (SACD), and Bitstream (Dolby Digital, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, etc) digital audio formats as well as digital video signals up to 1080p resolution (including 1080/24p).
HDTV-compatible Component Video: The RX-V663 offers three component video inputs and a component video monitor output. These inputs and outputs have a frequency response of 5 Hz to 100 MHz and will pass High Definition video sources up to 1080p. Note: 1080p component video signals cannot be converted to HDMI; they are only output via component video.
Front Panel Input: The front panel's Video Aux input features analog stereo RCA and optical digital inputs, plus composite and S-video video inputs.
Multi-channel Analog Input: This unit has a discrete 5.1-channel analog input for connecting DVD-Audio and Super-Audio CD players or an external decoder. You can convert the input to 7.1-channels, and use an assigned pair of input jacks along with the 5.1-channel input to connect the 7.1-channel device.
Speaker Terminals: The receiver has binding post speaker terminals for the front A, front B/Zone 2/presence, center, surround, and surround back channels. The binding posts can accept bare wire, pin connectors, and single banana plugs. The terminals are spaced too far apart for dual banana plugs. The collar surrounding the binding post terminals prevent the use of spade connectors.
Bi-Amp Speaker Connections: This receiver allows you to reassign amplifier channels to make bi-amp connections. A bi-amplification connection uses two amplifiers for one speaker. One amplifier is connected to the woofer section of a loudspeaker while the other is connected to the combined midrange and tweeter section. With this arrangement each amplifier operates over a restricted frequency range, making its job easier.
Preamp Outputs: The RX-V663 offers preamp outputs for all channels: front L/R, center, surround L/R, surround back L/R, subwoofer 1 and 2, and zone 2 L/R for connecting to separate amplifiers if desired.
The Yamaha RX-V663 replaces these items
- 90 watts x 7 full-bandwidth rated
- 2 HDMI inputs, 1 HDMI output (separate connections required for audio)
- auto speaker calibration for easy home theater setup