About the Yamaha TT-N503 MusicCast VINYL 500
Analog warmth and digital convenience in one turntable
Analog warmth and digital convenience in one turntable
A turntable is analog technology — but that doesn't mean it has to be stuck in the last century. The Yamaha TT-N503 features built-in Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, Apple AirPlay®, and Spotify® Connect, so it can double as a streaming music source when you're not listening to records.
It's also equipped with Yamaha MusicCast technology, so you can make it part of a wireless multi-room system. And it has a built-in phono preamp, so it's a great way to add the turntable's record-playing and streaming to your existing receiver.
Each part of the TT-N503 was chosen for a reason. The belt-driven die-cast aluminum platter provides excellent rotational stability, and the static balance straight tonearm can be adjusted so it tracks perfectly in the grooves of a record. An isolated DC synchronous motor reduces vibration, and an external power supply reduces electrical interference, so you just hear the music.
Yamaha even pre-installed a quality moving magnet cartridge, so you can start playing albums as soon as it's all set up.
- belt-driven die-cast aluminum platter provides excellent rotational stability
- static balance straight tonearm for superb tracking ability
- includes pre-mounted moving magnet cartridge
- switchable phono preamp built in
- built-in MusicCast lets you stream from the turntable directly to compatible wireless speakers
- stream music via built-in Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, AirPlay® and Spotify® Connect
- DLNA-equipped for music streaming from a compatible PC or Network Attached Storage (NAS) device
- connect to Amazon Alexa to add voice control for digital music playback through MusicCast
- isolated DC synchronous motor for reduced vibration and superior speed stability
- external power supply reduces likelihood of electro-mechanical interference
- medium density fiberboard (MDF) base with adjustable vibration-damping feet
- elegant piano black finish
- fully manual operation
- 33-1/3 and 45 rpm speeds
- speed variation: ±2%
- wow and flutter: 0.2%
- signal to noise ratio: 67dB
- stereo RCA phono output
- stereo RCA line output
- Ethernet port for connecting to a network
- Type-B USB input for firmware updates
Dimensions and Warranty:
- 17-3/4"W x 5-3/8"H (with dust cover down) x 14-1/2"D
- weight: 10.6 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # TT-N503WH
What's in the box:
- Turntable (tonearm pre-installed)
- Felt mat
- Head-shell (cartridge/stylus)
- AC power adapter (attached 59" DC cord)
- 3 AC plugs (US/UK/AU)
- 39" Stereo RCA cable
- 45-RPM adapter
- Dust cover
- 2 Hinges
- Owner's Manual
- "Attaching the plug" sheet
- Warranty Information
- "Worldwide Representative Offices" note
Yamaha TT-N503 MusicCast VINYL 500 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Yamaha TT-N503 MusicCast VINYL 500
Network Turntable: The MusicCast Vinyl 500 (TT-N503) is a network audio turntable that is part of Yamaha's MusicCast multiroom audio eco-system. It not only supports playback of your vinyl record collection, but also supports playback of internet radio, select online music services, and music libraries stored on your computer/laptop or smartphone/tablet device through the MusicCast Controller app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android OS device.
High Quality Construction: Each component of the Yamaha MusicCast Vinyl 500 (TT-N503) turntable was carefully chosen to contribute to rich, uncompressed sound reproduction of your vinyl records. Enjoy superior sound thanks to the turntable's belt driven high inertial platter with DC motor which achieves stable rotation and vibration reduction. The static balanced straight tonearm is made for stable tracking and creates accurate stylus pressure for accurate tracking and sound reproduction. A rigid MDF cabinet, aluminum die-cast platter, felt mat, and isolation feet suppress unnecessary vibration.
Manual Operation: The turntable includes a manual lifter mechanism that allows you to place the needle on the record wherever you want. If you raise the lift lever during playback, the tonearm rises and playback pauses. When you lower the lift lever, playback resumes. The tonearm does not automatically rise when the record finishes playing; you will need to do this manually.
33-1/3 and 45 RPM Compatible: The Yamaha MusicCast Vinyl 500 (TT-N503) turntable will play at 33-1/3 and 45 rpm speeds. An adapter is included for playing 45 rpm records.
MM Cartridge: The MusicCast Vinyl 500 (TT-N503) turntable's headshell consists of a MM cartridge with an Audio-Technica ATN3600L stylus. The headshell will need to be installed onto the turntable's tonearm. If you will not be using the unit for a time, attach the included cover to the stylus to protect it.
Anti-Skating Dial: Anti-skating adjustment is performed to counter the force which pulls the stylus tip inside due to the record rotation. Make sure that the anti-skating value is the same as the stylus pressure value. The appropriate stylus pressure for the cartridge included with this unit is 3.5 grams.
Built-in Phono Preamp for Line or Phono Output: Designed with a built-in phono EQ amplifier, you have the option of connecting to a line input on a receiver or integrated amplifier without a phono stage, or even to a pair of powered speakers. Alternatively, if you want to utilize the phono stage of your receiver or integrated amplifier, switch the MusicCast Vinyl 500 (TT-N503) to phono output mode for the perfect pairing with your favorite receiver or integrated amplifier.
Stereo RCA Outputs: The Yamaha MusicCast Vinyl 500 (TT-N503) is outfitted with a dedicated set of stereo RCA output jacks for its line-level and phono output, as well as comes with a 39" stereo RCA cable for connection to your AV receiver, integrated amplifier, or powered speakers. Make sure the Phono EQ switch on the back of the turntable is set to the appropriate setting before connection.
AC Power Adapter: The Yamaha MusicCast Vinyl 500 (TT-N503) turntable comes with an external AC power adapter which will need to be plugged into an AC power outlet or surge protector (sold separately). The external AC power supply helps to cut out electronic interference.
Mounting Options: Because record playback is easily affected by vibration, you should place the turntable in a level location that is not subject to external vibration. Place it sufficiently far from your speaker system, so that it will not be affected by sound pressure or vibration.
Dust Cover: A hinged dust cover protects the turntable during playback or when it is not in use. The dust cover can be removed.
Yamaha MusicCast Eco-System: The TT-N503 turntable is part of Yamaha's MusicCast multiroom audio eco-system, allowing you to wirelessly stream your vinyl record audio collection to other Yamaha MusicCast enabled receivers and speakers (sold separately). The TT-N503 turntable can also be used to add MusicCast's huge range of audio content (including internet radio, select online music services, DLNA, AirPlay, and Bluetooth) to your existing home entertainment system.
Note: Yamaha's new MusicCast system is not compatible with Yamaha's old MusicCAST system.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: With MusicCast you can choose to build a wireless or wired network, or a combination of both if desired. The Yamaha MusicCast Vinyl 500 (TT-N503) supports both wireless and wired network connectivity through its built-in dual-band (2.4/5GHz) WiFi (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac) and wired Ethernet (RJ-45) port. Network setup is completed through the free MusicCast Controller app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device.
Note: If you want to install a MusicCast device to a location that is out of range of your wireless router, connect another MusicCast device to the router with a network cable to extend the range ("Extend Mode").
MusicCast Controller App: The free MusicCast Controller app for (Apple iOS 10.0+ and Android OS 4.1+) will need to be downloaded on your compatible smartphone or tablet device. The MusicCast Controller app puts control of your whole home listening experience in the palm of your hand from your Apple iOS or Android device. You'll be able to quickly select the room or rooms you want to listen to music in, select the source or sources you want to listen to, browse music content from your music library and online music services, listen to Internet Radio, plus control music playback functions.
- Rooms: Choose which room or rooms you want to listen to music in. You can select a different source for each room, group certain rooms together for playback of the same source, or link all rooms together so the same source is played back throughout the house.
- Source Selection: From the app you can select which source or sources you want to listen to; choose from network-connected devices (such as your Apple iOS/Android device or DLNA server), select online music services, Internet Radio or Bluetooth. If you have incorporated a Yamaha AV receiver or soundbar with MusicCast into your system, you can also select from analog & digital inputs - including HDMI, Optical/Coax USB, RCA/Aux, and Phono. You can even select a AM/FM ratio station from a MusicCast AV receiver.
- Music Browsing: You can browse music libraries from your network-connected devices; like your smartphone, tablet, computer, or laptop. You can also browse music content from select online music services and search Internet Radio stations from the MusicCast Controller app. You can also browse music files on your USB-connected thumbdrive.
- Playback & Song/Artist Info: From the MusicCast Controller app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device you get Volume Up/Down, Play/Pause, and Previous/Next Track; as well as song/artist information and album art.
- Favorites: Internet radio stations, content from select online music services, plus playlists and songs from your network-connected device's music library can be saved as "Favorites" for quick recall within the MusicCast Controller app. Up to 40 Favorites can be registered.
- Personalization & Customization: With the app's unique personalization features, you can choose from preloaded room images or change the color of buttons to represent each room in the home, or even take pictures of their own home and assign the images to each button. The content source buttons can also be customized to rename, remove or reorder selections for easier operation.
Note: The MusicCast Controller cannot start/stop vinyl record playback or switch the speed. These functions must be done on the turntable.
High Resolution Audio: MusicCast supports true high-resolution audio formats to deliver more accurate reproduction of sonic details. The MusicCast eco-system is compatible with high resolution FLAC, AIFF and WAV music files up to 192kHz/24-bit; as well as Apple Lossless (ALAC) up to 96kHz/24-bit. It also supports lower resolution music files like MP3, WMA, and AAC up to 48kHz.
|File||Sampling Frequency||Bit-rate or Bit-depth||Gapless Playback|
|MP3||32/44.1/48 kHz||up to 320 kbps||N|
|WMA||32/44.1/48 kHz||up to 320 kbps||N|
|AAC||32/44.1/48 kHz||up to 320 kbps||N|
|WAV (PCM)||32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz||16/24-bit||Y|
Note: When multiple MusicCast devices are "linked" for multiroom audio playback, the Master room device's playback is at the native sampling rate (up to 192kHz/24-bit), while the other rooms and MusicCast devices are down-converted to 48kHz.
Online Music Services: MusicCast and the free MusicCast Controller app for (Apple iOS 10.0+ and Android OS 4.1+) offers access to a wide variety of Internet radio and online streaming services - including Airable by TuneIn, Pandora, TIDAL, Spotify, Amazon, SiriusXM, Deezer, and Napster.
- Airable by TuneIn: You can listen to Internet radio stations using Airable by TuneIn. Search worldwide internet radio content by Genre, Language, Location, Quality, Popularity, or do a keyword search.
- Pandora: Pandora is personalized radio that plays music and comedy you'll love. Just start with the name of one of your favorite artists, songs, comedians or composers and Pandora will create a custom station that plays similar tracks. You can also rate (thumbs up/thumbs down) songs as they play, and Pandora will adapt stations to your feedback. You can even bookmark stations and easily switch between favorites.
- TIDAL: Tidal is a global streaming service that offers over 30 million songs in high-fidelity CD sound quality. TIDAL has two pricing tiers; either $9.99 or $19.99 a month. Both pricing levels allow you to access TIDAL's entire music library. The $19.99 tier has the added benefit of high-fidelity sound at CD-level quality.
- Spotify Connect: Spotify Connect enables Spotify Premium users to instantly select and wirelessly stream music to the MusicCast devices from within the Spotify app (Apple iOS or Android). Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
- Amazon: Through an available firmware update, Amazon Music can now be accessed through Yamaha MusicCast. Enjoy Amazon Prime or Amazon Unlimited. Amazon Prime gives you access to 2 million songs with an Amazon Prime prime membership, while Amazon Unlimited gives you access to 50 million songs with with a $9.99 per month subscription.
- SiriusXM: SiriusXM Internet Radio lets you listen to over 120 channels of commercial-free music, talk radio, news, sports, entertainment, and more. Subscription fees will apply.
- Napster: Napster is a streaming music subscription service (starting a $10 per month) that allows you to play the full-length songs you choose on demand from a collection of over 10 million songs, without ads and without having to purchase or download the music.
- Deezer: Deezer is an online music service offering over 43 million tracks starting at $9.99 a month. Discover the perfect playlist or make your own, as well as browse curated collections by genre.
DLNA: The MusicCast Vinyl 500 (TT-N503) supports DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5, allowing access to DLNA-compatible Windows 7/8/10 computers (with Windows Media Player 11 or 12) and network attached storage (NAS) devices. You'll be able to wirelessly stream the music libraries on your computer, laptop, or NAS to the Yamaha MusicCast Vinyl 500 (TT-N503) and your connected stereo system.
Note: Digital Rights Management (DRM) content cannot be played back.
AirPlay: AirPlay lets you stream your favorite songs directly from your Apple iOS (4.3.3+) device or from your iTunes (10.2.2+) library on your Windows PC or Mac computer to the Yamaha MusicCast Vinyl 500 (TT-N503) and your connected home audio system, over your home's WiFi network connection. From your Apple iOS device you are able to stream stored music and music apps on your device to the Yamaha MusicCast system. From your Windows or Mac you can stream your stored iTunes music library on your computer to the MusicCast system.
Note: AirPlay is not available for multiroom audio playback.
Bluetooth Audio: The Yamaha MusicCast Vinyl 500 (TT-N503) offers built-in Bluetooth 4.2 for wireless music streaming (A2DP). This allows you to stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content on your Bluetooth-enabled source devices (such as your smartphone, tablet, desktop computer, or laptop) to the MusicCast Vinyl 500 (TT-N503) and your stereo system. The unit has a wireless Bluetooth range of approximately 33'.
- SBC + AAC Codecs: In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the MusicCast Vinyl 500 (TT-N503) offers support of AAC. By supporting AAC, the MusicCast Vinyl 500 (TT-N503) offers better audio performance of the music streamed from your Apple iOS device.
- Multi-Device Pairing: The MusicCast Vinyl 500 (TT-N503) can be paired with multiple Bluetooth source devices, but only one device can be connected and used at a time. If one or more Bluetooth devices had been connected to the turntable before, the unit will automatically connect to the last connected device when Bluetooth is enabled.
- Linked Playback Mode: With Linked Playback Mode, music streamed via Bluetooth to one MusicCast device can then be wirelessly streamed to multiple MusicCast devices for multiroom audio. Bluetooth is limited to the SBC codec during Linked Playback mode.
Note: The turntable only acts as a Bluetooth receiver and not a transmitter. It does not support Bluetooth output. You cannot output audio from a vinyl record onto a Bluetooth enabled receiver, integrated amplifier, or powered speakers.
Multiroom Audio Streaming: By supporting MusicCast, you are able to create a multiroom audio system and wirelessly play back a wide variety of audio sources and content in multiple rooms of your home (additional MusicCast products sold separately) using the MusicCast Controller app for Apple iOS and Android. MusicCast is enabled on many 2015-up Yamaha components like their AV receivers, wireless speakers, soundbars, and other HiFi components. Up to 10 MusicCast devices can be connected to your home's wireless network (802.11 b/g/n/ac; 2.4 or 5GHz).
- Compatible Multiroom Audio Sources:
- Vinyl record playback.
- All MusicCast music services (including Airable by TuneIn, Pandora, Tidal, Spotify, SiriusXM, Deezer, and Napster).
- Music libraries on your Apple iOS or Android smartphone running the MusicCast Controller app, as well as on your DLNA compliant computer, laptop, or NAS drive.
- Bluetooth audio (SBC codec only).
- Yamaha AV receivers, soundbars, and other Hi-Fi components which feature MusicCast offer multiroom streaming of connected external analog & digital sources - including HDMI, Optical/Coax, USB, RCA/Aux, and Phono inputs.
- A radio station from a MusicCast AV receiver's AM/FM tuner can even be distributed to multiple rooms.
- Incompatible Multiroom Audio Sources:
- AirPlay cannot be multiroom distributed via MusicCast.
Note: Yamaha's new MusicCast system is not compatible with Yamaha's older MusicCAST system.
Alexa Compatible: Alexa-enabled devices (sold separately - see Accessory Tab) are able to control key functions of a MusicCast system using voice commands. With Alexa voice control integration, all you have to do is ask. The MusicCast offers full compatibility with Amazon's range of voice control devices. Yamaha offers two Alexa Skill platforms that work hand-in-hand to give you a wide range of voice command possibilities, allowing you to control either a single MusicCast product or a whole MusicCast system. The MusicCast system and Alex-enabled devices must be on the same WiFi network.
- MusicCast Smart Home Skill: The MusicCast Smart Home skill supports the most common, everyday voice commands you would use to control a single MusicCast component. These basic commands include power on/off, volume control, play/pause/skip/previous, mute/unmute and input selection. This skill supports simple, Alexa and Google standardized commands such as "Alexa" or "Ok Google", "turn up volume in the Kitchen." Through an available firmware update, you'll also be able to ask Alexa (not Google) to play specific songs/artists/albums on Amazon Music, Spotify, Pandora, and Deezer.
- MusicCast Skill: The MusicCast skill goes beyond the basics, giving you enhanced control of unique MusicCast functions such as room linking, multiple room control, playback of MusicCast Favorites/Playlists and more. The commands are customized for MusicCast, for example "Alexa, ask MusicCast to link the Kitchen with the Living Room."
- Echo Source Input: In addition or alternatively, an Echo device can be used as a music/audio source for a MusicCast system. All MusicCast devices offer a Bluetooth input. Just pair your Echo device with any MusicCast wireless speaker, sound bar or AV receiver and the sound will play from the MusicCast device. Many MusicCast products also offer inputs which can be connected to Echo Dot via its line output, if a wired connection is preferred over Bluetooth. Using the MusicCast Controller app, you can select the Bluetooth or wired input and link multiple MusicCast devices for playback, allowing you to hear sound from Echo Dot throughout your home.
- Amazon Alexa and voice commands cannot be used to start/stop vinyl record playback or switch speeds. These functions must be done on the turntable.
- Click here for a full list of commands. Yamaha will be adding more Alexa control features in 2018, including the ability to play a specific artist, album or song from select streaming services.
Web Browser Control: You can even use a web browser on your desktop computer, laptop, or tablet to make settings for this turntable when connected to a wired or wireless network.
Sleep Timer: This function within the MusicCast Controller app automatically sets the turntable's power to standby mode after the specified time has elapsed (30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes). The sleep timer cannot be used if the source is set to Phono.
Auto Standby: This function within the MusicCast Controller app automatically sets the turntable's power to standby mode after the specified time has elapsed without any playback or operation being performed. If this unit has not been playing for the last 20 minutes, or has not been operated for the last eight hours, the power automatically switches to standby mode.
Firmware Updates: Firmware updates for the MusicCast products can be made through their network connection and the MusicCast app on your Apple iOS or Android device. The app will notify you when a firmware update is available.
10 questions already asked