About the Yamaha YAS-108
A "bang for your buck" champ from Yamaha
A "bang for your buck" champ from Yamaha
Our customers were consistently shocked at the quality of sound they got from the previous version of this budget-friendly sound bar. Reviewers had many different ways of saying it should probably cost a lot more. I recently got to hear Yamaha's updated YAS-108 in person, and I was also astounded by the rich, full-range sound it put out. Its DTS Virtual:X processing did a great job of filling our cavernous vendor training room with simulated surround sound.
Onboard amplification powers six drivers, including a pair of built-in ported subwoofers that deliver more bass than you'd expect from such a slim bar, especially at this price point. But if you want even more low-end rumble, there's a dedicated output for adding on a separate powered sub.
How does DTS Virtual:X work?
Many sound bars simulate Dolby Atmos or DTS:X by bouncing sound off your walls and ceiling. That's not what's happening here. The drivers inside the YAS-108 sound bar are slightly angled, but they're placed more or less where you'd expect to find them in two-channel bar. There are no upward-firing drivers. Instead, DTS Virtual:X almost completely relies on digital sound processing.
DTS uses what they call "spatial audio techniques" to make it seem like the sound is all around you. Incredibly sophisticated audio delays and adjustments create a larger, wider soundstage. That includes overhead atmospheric effects like leaves rustling on a tall tree or birds chirping above.
Check out Jeff Miller's article "What is DTS Virtual:X?" for more details.
Don't miss a word
Sometimes I have to rewind movie and TV shows because I didn't catch what the actor just said, and I'm sure I'm not alone. It can be hard to hear dialogue over the background noise. That's where Yamaha's Clear Voice processing comes in handy — it brings speech to the forefront so that dialogue is easier to hear and understand.
Stream your favorite tunes
Built-in Bluetooth makes it easy to stream your favorite tunes. You can wirelessly connect up to two compatible devices at once for quick switching between them. And if you have an Alexa-enabled device, you can pair the YAS-108 to that with Bluetooth, too.
- ultra-slim design sits on your TV stand or mounts on your wall
- two-channel sound bar with simulated surround sound
- two 1" balanced dome tweeters
- two 2-1/8" midrange drivers
- two 3" cone subwoofers
- built-in amplifiers: 30 watts x 2 for front left and right drivers, 60 watts for bass drivers
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music streaming from compatible smartphones, tablets, and computers
- pair with an Amazon Echo device for Alexa voice control
- DTS Virtual:X digital sound processing
- emulates object-based surround sound like DTS:X and Dolby Atmos
- simulated surround and height-channel speakers create a spacious, lively soundstage
- Dolby® Digital and DTS decoding
- 5 listening modes: Music, Movie, TV Program, Sports, and Game
- Clear Voice processing makes dialogue easier to hear
- remote control offers Bass Extension button and independent volume control for built-in subs
Connections and Dimensions:
- 1 HDMI input
- HDCP 2.2 compatible for connecting to 4K video sources
- supports 3D and 4K video with high dynamic range (HDR) and HDMI-CEC
- 1 HDMI output with Audio Return Channel (ARC)
- 1 optical digital audio input
- 1 stereo minijack audio input
- subwoofer output
- keyhole slots for wall-mounting
- built-in gyroscope determines orientation (table top or wall-mounted) and optimizes sound accordingly
- remote control
- 34-15/16"W x 2-3/16"H x 5-3/16"D
- weight: 7.1 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # YAS-108BL
What's in the box:
- Active soundbar speaker
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control (VAF7640)
- CR2025 3V battery (installed in remote)
- 5' Optical digital cable
- 2 Spacers
- Owner's Manual
- Mounting Template
- Warranty Information
- "Yamaha Worldwide Representative Offices" note
Yamaha YAS-108 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Yamaha YAS-108
Features & specs
|Number Of Channels||2.1|
|Virtual Surround||3D Surround|
|Optical Digital Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||None|
|HDMI ARC Input||Yes|
|HDMI eARC Input||No|
|3.5mm Stereo Analog Inputs||1|
|RCA Stereo Analog Inputs||None|
|USB Type-A Input||No|
|Tweeter||1" Dome (2)|
|Midrange||2.125" Cone (2)|
|Woofer||3" Cone (2)|
|System Frequency Response||60-23k Hz|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||120|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||N/A|
|HDMI Video Pass-through Resolution||4K|
|HDR Video Compatible||Yes|
|Control by App||Apple iOS, Android|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Learns TV Remote||No|
|Bluetooth Connectivity||Built-in 5.0|
|Files on Your Network||No|
|Built-in Wi-Fi Version||None|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Sound Bar Size (inches)||2-3/16H x 34-15/16W x 5-3/16D|
|Sound Bar Weight||7.1 lbs|
|Subwoofer Size (inches)||No Subwoofer|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||2 Years|
2.1ch Active Soundbar Speaker: The Yamaha YAS-108 active soundbar speaker features a 2.1ch driver configuration with one 1" dome tweeter and one 2.125" mid-woofer for each of the left & right channels, as well as dual 3" subwoofers for the LFE channel. The YAS-108 delivers 120-watts of power to the enclosed drivers - 30 watts to each of the left & right channels and 60 watts to both subwoofers.
Built-In Subwoofers w/ Bass Extension: The YAS-108 is equipped with dual, built-in 3" subwoofers plus a unique bass reflex port and "Bass Extension" processing to deliver exceptional low-end performance without the need for a separate powered subwoofer. You can adjust the level of the built-in subwoofers independently from the soundbar's overall volume.
Clear Voice: Clear Voice raises the level of dialog and narrations while maintaining overall sound quality. Movies and TV shows, sports commentary and news broadcasts are more clearly audible.
Compressed Music Enhancer: The Compressed Music Enhancer restores frequency response lost during digital compression, so your music sounds the way it should. Optimized for Bluetooth audio transmission, you'll enjoy vivid, lively sound quality during wireless playback. When a compressed source is played, the Compressed Music Enhancer engages automatically.
Dolby Digital & DTS Compatible: The Yamaha YAS-108 soundbar decodes 2ch PCM, multi-channel PCM, Dolby Digital, & DTS audio signals. You can listen to these audio formats in Virtual Surround mode or 2ch Stereo mode. The 2ch Stereo mode is ideal for music, while the Virtual Surround mode provides a much more immersive soundfield for movies. From Yamaha's Home Theater Control App on your Apple iOS or Android device you select between different surround modes - TV Program, Stereo, Movie, Music, Sports, & Game.
|Digital Audio Connector||Audio Signal Type||Audio Signal Format|
|HDMI||Multichannel PCM||2ch-6ch, 32-192kHz, 16/20/24-bit|
|Bitstream||Dolby Digital, DTS|
|Optical||2Ch PCM||2ch, 32-96Hz, 16/20/24-bit|
|Bitstream||Dolby Digital, DTS|
DTS Virtual:X + 3D Surround: The YAS-108 can deliver immersive 3D surround sound, simulating sound effects that seem to move around the listener and even have a sense of height. Thanks to DTS Virtual:X & 3D Surround the YAS-108 allows surround sound to be heard not only from horizontal directions, but also from varying heights. DTS Virtual:X can be used with any content (from 2ch to 5.1ch soundtracks), while delivering virtual height & virtual surround processing based on psychoacoustics (not reflective surfaces). Ideal for use with any multichannel content (including DTS- and Dolby-encoded soundtracks) it creates more spacious, lifelike sound for all of your favorite TV shows, movies and games.
HDMI 2.0b: The Yamaha YAS-108 is outfitted with one HDMI input and one HDMI ARC output that support the latest HDMI 2.0b standards; such as 4K/60Hz, HDCP 2.3, 4:4:4 color subsampling, & HDR (High Dynamic Range) for full support of today's 4K content from Ultra HD Blu-ray & online video services (like Amazon & Netflix).
- 4K/60HZ + HDCP 2.3: The YAS-108 supports up to 4K (3840x2160 pixels) video @ 60 frames per second through its HDMI input and output. The HDMI input and output is HDCP 2.3 certified (available firmware update), which fully complies with the latest copyright protection standard for 4K video transmission. It also supports a 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p video signal.
- 4:4:4 Color Subsampling: In addition, the HDMI input and output support RGB, YCbCr 4:4:4, YCbCr 4:2:2, and YCbCr 4:2:0 color subsampling (@ 60Hz or 50Hz). With 4:4:4 color subsampling, luminance (brightness) and chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate; resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail.
- Deep Color & x.v.Color: The soundbar's HDMI jacks support Deep Color & x.v.Color content, which can display a larger color range than standard-definition schemes. The result is a more lifelike, vibrant picture.
- 3D Ready: The YAS-108 soundbar supports 3D video pass-through (720p/1080p only) from connected 3D-compatible Blu-ray, games and broadcast devices to 3D-compatible HDTVs (all 3D components must be connected via HDMI). Special eyewear will be required for viewing 3D content.
High Dynamic Range: High Dynamic Range video provides enhanced picture quality by simultaneously enabling greater detail for both the dark and bright parts of an image. HDR reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, creating greater contrast. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth. The YAS-108 supports HDR 10 and HLG.
- HDR 10: HDR 10 is an open standard and currently the most popular HDR format on the market. It uses static metadata at the start of a movie to tell the receiver and your TV that the video content is encoded using HDR.
- HLG: HLG (Hybrid-Log Gamma) is primarily designed for live video feed and over-the-air broadcasts. It uses no pre-encoded metadata and is backwards compatible with SDR. HLG's native compatibility allows much of today's existing SDR infrastructure to be re-used for HDR in the future.
ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature of the YAS-108's HDMI output allows audio to be sent from your compatible TV to the soundbar through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your TV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
Note: Because with some televisions, the ARC-enabled HDMI input will only pass 2ch PCM from devices connected to the TV via HDMI or analog, we recommend that you connect your Blu-ray player or Satellite/Cable box to the Yamaha soundbar directly; and then connect the YAS-108's ARC-enabled HDMI output to your TV's ARC-enabled HDMI input. This setup will give you with the best overall sound performance.
Analog & Digital Audio Inputs: The YAS-108 is outfitted with both analog & digital audio outputs to connect to your TV. There is one optical (toslink) digital input that supports 2Ch PCM, 5.1ch Dolby Digital, and 5.1ch DTS audio signals (up to 24-bit/32-48kHz). There is also one stereo minijack (3.5mm) audio input for televisions without an optical digital out.
Note: The digital optical output terminals of some flat-panel TVs only send an audio signal in 5.1ch when receiving Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or connected USB device; and will output only 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, or RCA (like your Blue-ray/DVD player or satellite/cable box).
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The Yamaha YAS-108 soundbar speaker system supports Bluetooth (v5.0) A2DP wireless audio streaming (up to 33'). This allows you to stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled device; such as your Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/table, Windows Phone/PC, or Mac computer/laptop to the YAS-108 soundbar speaker. You will continue to navigate your music and view song/artist information from your Bluetooth-enabled device.
- Dual Device Connection: The YAS-108 allows you to wirelessly pair and connect two Bluetooth source devices, so you can switch easily back and forth between devices and music libraries.
- SBC + AAC Codecs: In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the Yamaha soundbar speaker offers support of AAC. By supporting AAC, the YAS-108 soundbar offers better audio performance of the music streamed from your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
- Bluetooth Standby: The Bluetooth Standby function allows you to turn On or Off the soundbar automatically, linked with the operation of a Bluetooth device.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Yamaha YAS-108.
Sub Out: A mono-RCA subwoofer output lets you hook up an optional powered sub (sold separately). The soundbar's built-in subs will continue to produce sound along with the external power sub.
IR Remote w/ HDMI-CEC: The YAS-108 comes with a sleek, easy-to-use IR remote control for wireless operation of the soundbar speaker. Also, if your TV supports HDMI CEC and uses HDMI connectivity, it is possible to adjust the volume of the sound bar using your TV's remote to simplify day-to-day operation.
Note: This soundbar does not allow you to program your TV remote to operate the speaker, but does offer HDMI control through your compatible TV's remote.
Home Theater Controller App: The YAS-108 is compatible with Yamaha's Home Theater Control App (HT Controller) for Apple iOS 9.0+ & Android OS 4.0+ devices. This remote app makes it easy to control the soundbar from your compatible Apple iOS or Android device via a Bluetooth connection. Its intuitive and easy-to-see operating screen uses icons that let you easily perform a variety of operations; including Input, Volume, Audio settings, and Surround modes. Surround modes include TV Program, Stereo, Movie, Music, Sports, & Game.
Mounting Options: Due to its slim profile, the soundbar fits in front of most flat-panel TVs without blocking the screen. If you prefer to wall-mount the speaker, the YAS-108 offers built-in keyhole slots (spaced 18" apart). A built-in gyroscope optimizes sound depending on whether the soundbar is placed on a table-top or hung on wall.
- Table-Top Dimensions: 34.9375" (w) x 2.1875" (h) x 5.1875" (d)
- Wall-Mount Dimensions: 34.9375" (w) x 5.1875" (h) x 2.1875" (d)
Auto Power Standby: When the Auto Power Standby function is enabled, the unit will automatically turn off when there is no operation for 8 hours. When Bluetooth or HDMI is selected as the input, the unit will turn off after no audio input and no operation for 20 minutes.
The Yamaha YAS-108 replaces these items
- ultra-slim design sits on your TV stand or mounts on a wall (mounting hardware not included)
- 120 watts of built-in amplification powering six drivers (2 tweeters, 2 midranges, 2 subwoofers)
- Bluetooth compatibility allows wireless music streaming as well as remote control functionality with a smartphone
12 questions already asked