About the Yamaha YAS-207
Take TV sound to new heights
Take TV sound to new heights
Cutting-edge DTS Virtual:X processing (available with firmware update) simulates speakers all around you — even overhead.
Talk about an upgrade to your TV's tiny built-in speakers. The Yamaha YAS-207 is the first sound bar that's ready for DTS Virtual:X — a new technology that simulates three-dimensional surround sound for your movies, shows, and sports. In other words? This bar and sub combo will make it sound like you have speakers around you, and even above you.
This processing just recently became available (via a firmware update from Yamaha), but we got an in-house preview from DTS. I tested out Virtual:X on an episode of Game of Thrones and was blown away by the massive, detailed sound field. And while it works best with shows and movies mixed for DTS:X® or Dolby Atmos®, the cool thing is that it will enhance any other content, too.
Fits neatly into your TV setup
Even with the DTS Virtual:X processing turned off, the YAS-207 adds excitement to your TV watching. And it doesn't take up a lot of space. The bar can be wall-mounted or placed below your TV on a stand or table. Six built-in drivers dish out wide-open sound, while the Clear Voice feature ensures dialogue is easy to understand.
How does DTS Virtual:X work?
Many sound bars simulate Dolby Atmos or DTS:X by bouncing sound off your walls and ceiling. That's not what's happening here. The drivers inside the YAS-207 sound bar are slightly angled, but they're placed more or less where you'd expect to find them in two-channel bar. There are no upward-firing drivers. Instead, DTS Virtual:X almost completely relies on digital sound processing.
DTS uses what they call "spatial audio techniques" to — my word here — "trick" you into thinking you're hearing sound all around you. Incredibly sophisticated audio delays and adjustments create a larger, wider soundstage. That includes overhead atmospheric effects like leaves rustling on a tall tree or birds chirping above.
Read my article "What is DTS Virtual:X?" for more details
Wireless sub for potent bass
Low-profile design for a clean TV setup (Sub must be connected to an AC outlet).
The YAS-207's subwoofer communicates wirelessly with the bar to give you more placement options. It's also pretty slim, so you might be able to stick it right next to your TV setup. (You'll need to connect it to an AC outlet.) This powerful sub brings the low-end thunder to round out the home theater experience.
Simple to hook up...
Even though the Yamaha YAS-207 includes such advanced sound processing, it's still straightforward to set up. You can connect the bar directly to your TV with the included digital optical cable. Or you can use the YAS-207's HDMI input and output — both are compatible with 4K TVs and video sources with high dynamic range (HDR).
...and simple to use
You can control the sound bar with the included remote or Yamaha's free smartphone app for Apple® or Android™. There are five listening modes — Music, TV Program, Movie, Sports, and Game — to help tailor the sound to what you're watching. And built-in Bluetooth® lets you play music wirelessly from your phone through the sound bar's powerful drivers.
- two-channel sound bar with simulated 3D surround sound
- four 1-3/4" full-range drivers
- two 1" dome tweeters
- 50 watts RMS x 2 channels
- DTS Virtual:X digital sound processing (available with firmware update)
- emulates object-based surround sound like DTS:X and Dolby Atmos
- simulated surround and height-channel speakers create a spacious, lively soundstage
- built-in Bluetooth 4.1 for wireless music streaming from compatible smartphones, tablets, and computers
- Dolby® Digital and DTS® decoding
- Clear Voice mode for clearer, louder dialogue with movies and shows
- listening modes: Music, TV Program, Movie, Sports, and Game
- Auto Lip-sync reduces latency between video and audio
- 36-7/8"W x 2-3/8"H x 4-1/4"D
- weight: 6 lbs.
- 6-1/4" front-firing driver
- connects wirelessly to sound bar for easy placement
- slim, stand-up design
- 100 watts RMS
- AC power connection required (power cable included)
- 7-1/8"W x 17-1/4"H x 15-3/4"D
- weight: 15.9 lbs.
Connections and General Info:
- 1 HDMI input, 1 HDMI output
- HDCP 2.2 compatible for connecting to 4K video sources
- HDMI connections support 4K video with high dynamic range (HDR), 3D video, Audio Return Channel, and HDMI-CEC
- optical digital audio input (cable included)
- 3.5mm stereo minijack input
- free downloadable Yamaha Home Theater Controller app for Apple and Android lets you control the bar via Bluetooth with your smartphone
- keyhole slots for wall-mounting
- remote control with subwoofer control
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # YAS-207BL
What's in the box:
- Active soundbar speaker (YAS-CU207)
- Wireless powered subwoofer (NS-WSW42)
- Two 6' AC power cords
- Remote control (FSR78 ZY28960)
- CR2025 3V battery (installed in remote)
- 5' Optical digital cable
- 2 Self-adhesive foam pads
- Owner's Manual
- Wall-mount template
- Warranty sheet
- Online Product Registration sheet
- "Yamaha Worldwide Representative Offices" note
- "3D Surround Playback Function" note
Yamaha YAS-207 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Yamaha YAS-207
Features & specs
|Number Of Channels||2.1|
|Virtual Surround||3D Surround|
|Optical Digital Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||None|
|HDMI ARC Input||Yes|
|HDMI eARC Input||No|
|3.5mm Stereo Analog Inputs||1|
|RCA Stereo Analog Inputs||None|
|USB Type-A Input||No|
|System Frequency Response||40-23k Hz|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||100|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||100|
|HDMI Video Pass-through Resolution||4K|
|HDR Video Compatible||HDR10|
|Control by App||Apple iOS, Android|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Learns TV Remote||No|
|Bluetooth Connectivity||Built-in (4.1)|
|Files on Your Network||No|
|Built-in Wi-Fi Version||None|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Sound Bar Size (inches)||2-5/16H x 36-5/8W x 4-1/4 D|
|Sound Bar Weight||6 lbs|
|Subwoofer Size (inches)||17-1/4H x 7-1/8W x 17-5/8D|
|Subwoofer Weight||17.4 lbs|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||2 Years|
2ch Active Soundbar Speaker: Yamaha's YAS-207 active soundbar speaker features a 2ch driver configuration with one 1" dome tweeter and two 1.75" mid-woofers for each of the left & right channels. The YAS-207's soundbar utilizes a 50 watt x 2 channel amp to power the enclosed drivers.
Wireless Powered Subwoofer: The Yamaha YAS-207 includes a wireless powered subwoofer that features a side-firing 6.25" woofer and 100 watt amplifier for dynamic bass response. A front-firing port aids in deeper, bigger bass response. Since the powered sub is wireless, you don't have to connect a cable between the soundbar and the sub (you still will need to plug the sub's AC power cord into a wall). The powered sub's wireless range is 33'.
Clear Voice: Clear Voice raises the level of dialog and narrations while maintaining overall sound quality. Movies and TV shows, sports commentary and news broadcasts are more clearly audible.
Bass Extension: Yamaha's exclusive Bass Extension technology boosts the bass from the wireless powered sub to produce a bigger, fuller sound. You an also adjust the wireless powered subwoofer's volume level independently from the system's overall volume.
Compressed Music Enhancer: The Compressed Music Enhancer restores frequency response lost during digital compression, so your music sounds the way it should. Optimized for Bluetooth audio transmission, you'll enjoy vivid, lively sound quality during wireless playback. When a compressed source is played, the Compressed Music Enhancer engages automatically.
Dolby Digital & DTS Compatible: The Yamaha YAS-207 soundbar decodes 2ch PCM, multi-channel PCM, Dolby Digital, & DTS audio signals. You can listen to these audio formats in Virtual Surround mode or 2ch Stereo mode. The 2ch Stereo mode is ideal for music, while the Virtual Surround mode provides a much more immersive soundfield for movies. From Yamaha's Home Theater Control App on your Apple iOS or Android device you select between different surround modes - TV Program, Stereo, Movie, Music, Sports, & Game.
|Digital Audio Connector||Audio Signal Type||Audio Signal Format|
|HDMI||2Ch Linear PCM||2ch, 32-96kHz, 16/20/24-bit|
|Multichannel Linear PCM||6ch, 32-96kHz, 16/20/24-bit|
|Bitstream||Dolby Digital, DTS|
|Optical||2Ch Linear PCM||2ch, 32-48Hz, 16/20/24-bit|
|Bitstream||Dolby Digital, DTS|
DTS Virtual:X Ready + 3D Surround Mode (via firmware update - available now): DTS Virtual:X compatibility & a 3D Surround playback mode will be available through a firmware update (due August 2017). Once the firmware update is complete, surround sound can be heard not only from horizontal directions, but also from varying heights when DTS Virtual:X is used. DTS Virtual:X can be used with any content (from 2ch to 5.1ch soundtracks), while delivering virtual height & virtual surround processing based on psychoacoustics (not reflective surfaces).
Note: The firmware update can be accessed from Yamaha's website (click here) and downloaded onto a USB thumbdrive which will need to be inserted into YAS-207's USB port for update.
HDMI 2.0a: The Yamaha YAS-207 is outfitted with one HDMI 2.0a input and one HDMI ARC 2.0a output that support the latest HDMI 2.0a standards; such as 4K/60Hz, HDCP 2.2, 4:4:4 color subsampling, & HDR (High Dynamic Range) for full support of today's 4K content from Ultra HD Blu-ray & online video services (like Amazon & Netflix).
- 4K/60Hz: The YAS-207 supports up to 4K (3840x2160 pixels) video @ 60 frames per second through its HDMI input and output. It also supports a 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p video signal.
- HDCP 2.2: The HDMI input and output also support HDCP 2.2, which fully complies with the latest copyright protection standard for 4K video transmission.
- HDR 10 (High Dynamic Range): The YAS-207 supports HDR 10. High Dynamic Range video provides enhanced picture quality by simultaneously enabling greater detail for both the dark and bright parts of an image. HDR reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, creating greater contrast. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth.
- 4:4:4 Color Subsampling: In addition, the HDMI input and output support RGB, YCbCr 4:4:4, YCbCr 4:2:2, and YCbCr 4:2:0 color subsampling (@ 60Hz or 50Hz). With 4:4:4 color subsampling, luminance (brightness) and chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate; resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail.
- Deep Color & x.v.Color: The soundbar's HDMI jacks support Deep Color & x.v.Color content, which can display a larger color range than standard-definition schemes. The result is a more lifelike, vibrant picture.
- 3D Ready: The YAS-207 soundbar supports 3D video pass-through (720p/1080p only) from connected 3D-compatible Blu-ray, games and broadcast devices to 3D-compatible HDTVs (all 3D components must be connected via HDMI). Special eyewear will be required for viewing 3D content.
ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature of the YAS-207's HDMI output allows audio to be sent from your compatible TV to the soundbar through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your TV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
Note: Because with many televisions, the ARC-enabled HDMI input will only pass 2ch PCM from devices connected to the TV via HDMI or analog, we recommend that you connect your Blu-ray player or Satellite/Cable box to the Yamaha soundbar directly; and then connect the YAS-207's ARC-enabled HDMI output to your TV's ARC-enabled HDMI input. This setup will give you the best overall sound performance.
Analog & Digital Audio Inputs: The YAS-207 is outfitted with both analog & digital audio inputs to connect to your TV. There is one optical (toslink) digital input that supports 2Ch PCM, 5.1ch Dolby Digital, and 5.1ch DTS audio signals (up to 24-bit/32-48kHz). There is also one stereo minijack (3.5mm) audio input for televisions without an optical digital out.
Note: The digital optical output terminals of many flat-panel TVs only send an audio signal in 5.1ch when receiving Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or connected USB device; and will output only 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, or RCA (like your Blue-ray/DVD player or satellite/cable box).
Bluetooth Music Streaming: The Yamaha YAS-207 soundbar speaker system supports Bluetooth (v.4.1+EDR) A2DP wireless audio streaming (up to 33'). This allows you to stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled device; such as your Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/table, Windows Phone/PC, or Mac computer/laptop to the YAS-207 soundbar speaker. You will continue to navigate your music and view song/artist information from your Bluetooth-enabled device.
- Pairing: This unit pairs with your Bluetooth-enabled device with a single press of a button. If a Bluetooth device has been paired before, the unit will connect to the last paired device when the soundbar's Bluetooth source button is pressed. You will need to terminate this connection to pair a new device.
- SBC + AAC Codecs: In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the Yamaha soundbar speaker offers support of AAC. By supporting AAC, the YAS-207 soundbar offers better audio performance of the music streamed from your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
- Bluetooth Standby: The Bluetooth Standby function allows you to turn On or Off the soundbar automatically, linked with the operation of a Bluetooth device.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Yamaha YAS-207.
Remote Control: The YAS-207 comes with a sleek, easy-to-use IR remote control for wireless operation of the soundbar speaker. Also, if your TV supports HDMI CEC and you use HDMI connectivity, it is possible to adjust the volume of the sound bar using your TV's remote to simplify day-to-day operation.
Note: This soundbar does not allow you to program your TV remote to operate the speaker, but does offer HDMI control through your compatible TV's remote.
Home Theater Controller App (for iOS & Android): The YAS-207 is compatible with Yamaha's Home Theater Control App (HT Controller) for Apple iOS 8.0+ & Android OS 4.0+ devices. This remote app makes it easy to control the soundbar from your compatible Apple iOS or Android device via a Bluetooth connection. Its intuitive and easy-to-see operating screen uses icons that let you easily perform a variety of operations; including Input, Volume, Audio settings, and Surround modes. Surround modes include TV Program, Stereo, Movie, Music, Sports, & Game.
Mounting Options: Due to its slim profile, the soundbar fits in front of most flat-panel TVs without blocking the screen. If you prefer to wall-mount the speaker, the YAS-207 offers built-in keyhole slots (spaced 18" apart). Position the wireless powered subwoofer to the left or right of the center of the soundbar (wireless signal transmits up to 33'), and angle it slightly toward the center of the room to prevent sound from reflecting off walls.
Power Requirements: The active soundbar & wireless powered sub each come with a detachable 6' AC power cord which will need to be plugged into an AC outlet, surge protector, or power conditioner.
Auto Standby: The soundbar will automatically turn off when there is no operation for 8 hours, or no audio input and no operation for 20 minutes.
The Yamaha YAS-207 replaces these items
- 200 watts of built-in amplification powering four drivers (2 full-range, 2 subwoofers)
- 2-channel sound bar and wireless subwoofer with Yamaha's Air Surround Xtreme virtual surround mode
- Bluetooth compatibility allows wireless music streaming as well as remote control functionality with a smartphone
25 questions already asked