About the Yamaha MusicCast BAR 400 (YAS-408)
Immersive sound in a tidy package
Immersive sound in a tidy package
Yamaha's MusicCast BAR 400 is compact in size, but it is chock-full of features.
If you want room-filling sound without the hassle of lots of speakers, Yamaha's MusicCast BAR 400 is an elegant solution. Its low profile and streamlined design will slip easily into your home's decor, but the upgrade to your TV's audio will definitely make an impact on your binge-watching game.
Clear Voice processing brings speech to the forefront so that dialogue is easier to hear and understand, while DTS Virtual:X digital signal processing broadens the soundstage for an even more immersive cinematic experience.
The included sub has a 6-1/2” woofer to add low-end punch to your movies, shows, and music. Plus it's wireless — so you can park it in the most convenient and best-sounding spot. Just remember that it needs AC power.
How does DTS Virtual:X work?
Many sound bars simulate Dolby Atmos or DTS:X by bouncing sound off your walls and ceiling. That's not what's happening here. DTS Virtual:X uses "spatial audio techniques" to make it seem like the sound is all around you. Incredibly sophisticated audio delays and adjustments create a larger, wider soundstage. That includes overhead atmospheric effects like leaves rustling on a tall tree or birds chirping above.
Check out Jeff Miller's article "What is DTS Virtual:X?" for more details.
Virtual surround sound has come a long way, but there's just no substitute for the real thing. So if you want an even more immersive experience, you can add one or two MusicCast 50 speakers or a pair of MusicCast 20 speakers behind your viewing area to deliver complete wraparound sound effects.
Plenty of options for music, too
The MusicCast BAR 400 offers a variety of options for streaming your content, including Bluetooth®, Wi-Fi®, Apple® AirPlay®, and Spotify® Connect. It even supports high-resolution audio formats up to 24-bit/192kHz. And it's easy to select and control your music using the free Yamaha MusicCast app.
Part of a whole-home audio system
MusicCast uses your existing Wi-Fi network to stream music wirelessly throughout your home. Expand your system by adding compatible speakers, and you can play different music in each room, or group your speakers so they all play the same thing. The system is also Alexa-compatible, so if you have an Amazon Echo device, you can control it with your voice.
- two-channel sound bar with wireless subwoofer
- Dolby Digital® and DTS® decoding
- DTS Virtual:X digital sound processing emulates object-based surround sound like DTS:X and Dolby Atmos
- connects to your Wi-Fi network and Yamaha's MusicCast wireless whole home music system
- pair with an Amazon Echo device for Alexa voice control
- 5 listening modes: Music, Movie, TV Program, Sports, and Game
- Clear Voice mode for clearer, louder dialogue with movies and shows
- 200 watts of built-in amplification
- four 1-3/4" woofers
- two 1" tweeters
- rests on a TV stand or can be mounted on a wall using keyhole slots
- 38-5/8"W x 2-3/8"H x 4-3/8"D
- weight: 6 lbs.
- 6-1/2" cone woofer
- syncs wirelessly with sound bar
- 100-watt built-in amplifier
- 7-1/8"W x 17-7/8"H x 16"D
- weight: 21 lbs.
MusicCast Wireless Multi-room Music System:
- connects to your Wi-Fi network for wireless music listening
- built-in Bluetooth lets you stream directly from compatible devices
- free MusicCast app lets you group and control up to 10 MusicCast devices
- play the same song through multiple speakers or different songs in different rooms
- support for online music services, including Spotify®, Pandora®, SiriusXM, and thousands of free internet radio stations (subscription required for some services)
- plays MP3, AAC, WMA, FLAC, ALAC, WAV, and AIFF files
- supports high-res playback for PCM-based files up to 24-bit/192kHz
- Compressed Music Enhancer for smoothing out the sound of over-compressed MP3 files
- Apple AirPlay® for streaming from compatible Apple devices and computers running iTunes®
- DLNA support for streaming music from compatible networked computers and NAS drives
- supports 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi® (2.4 GHz)
Connections and General Info:
- 1 HDMI input, and 1 HDMI output with ARC (Audio Return Channel)
- HDCP 2.2 copy-protection compatibility for 4K broadcast and streaming content
- HDR-compatible with support for Dolby Vision™, HLG, and HDR10 formats
- 3D passthrough
- optical digital input
- 3.5mm analog minijack aux input
- Ethernet port for a wired connection to a home network
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # YAS-408BL
What's in the box:
- Active soundbar speaker (YAS-CU408)
- Wireless powered subwoofer (NS-WSW43)
- Two 6' AC power cords
- Remote control (VAH0130)
- CR2025 3V battery (installed in remote)
- 5' Optical digital cable
- Quick Start Guide
- Safety Brochure
- Warranty Information
- Online Product Registration Information
- "Yamaha Worldwide Representative Offices" note
- Spotify brochure
- Wall-Mount Template
Yamaha MusicCast BAR 400 (YAS-408) reviews
Overall I am happy with this soundbar. The sound is very good, not as good as you can get with a true 5.1 surround system but very good for a sound bar. The set up was fairly easy although had some difficulty getting the ARC functionality to work with the TV. I agree with other reviews that having the info on top of the unit makes it difficult to know exactly what mode things are in.
1 of 1 found this helpful
Nice looking and good quality. However the only feedback of sound bar mode ( I.e. clear voice, 3D surround , etc.) are the lights on the top of the bar. You can not tell the mode from your seat. Also AirPlay is intermittent when playing music from iOS device.
Pros: Looks nice Good quality
Cons: No feedback of mode from seated position Airplay breaks up when playing music.
2 of 2 found this helpful
I replaced a Samsung system with this Yamaha YAS-408 in my 5th wheel RV. very easy install, and the sound is fantastic. Would recommend this to any one wanting to upgrade what they have. VERY HAPPY. Shipping was great, had it in 3 days. Thank you.
Pros: Priced rite for a high quality system.
0 of 0 found this helpful
This is a great product for those who want excellent sound from their TV, but don't want speakers everywhere and a bunch of wires going to and fro on the floor around your television set. As you know, the bean counters at the TV manufacturers want to keep the cost of your television set as low as possible, so they put really cheap speakers in their TVs. The Yamaha BAR 400 obviates or mitigates that and makes movies fun to watch again. There is a power wire that must be connected to the sub woofer but it connects wirelessly to the system so speaker wires are eliminated. The system sounds very nice, The only draw backs are that the sub woofer could use a little more oompf and the remote control could be designed a little differently so you would easily know just by looking at it which end should be pointed toward the TV. These are not major issues and I am very happy that I bought the Yamaha MusicCast BAR 400 (YAS-408).
Pros: Fewer wires to connect to speakers Fewer remote speakers Excellent sound
Cons: 1. Sub woofer could use a little more oompf 2. Control lights on the sound bar could be put on the front so that they could be seen by the user while seated 3. Remote control could be chaped differently so that the end to be pointed toward the TV is apparent at first sight
2 of 3 found this helpful
So far so good. This unit was from the outlet store and it seems to work well but when it was removed from the box I noticed something rattling around inside the sound bar. It works but it's a bit worrisome. The Bluetooth isn't the best. It cuts in and out with my iPhone and iPad. Otherwise it's as advertised and I would recommend it.
1 of 1 found this helpful
This replaced my towers and Polk subwoofer along with my Dennon receiver. Not as big a sound but this will do for sure. Love the clear voice selection. The hard to hear dialogue is finally brought to the front so even I can distinguish it from the background noise. If you are looking to simplify without giving up that much then take a chance on this. I am glad I did.
1 of 2 found this helpful
Great sound and quality. There's also an app in the apple store for this soundbar. Great buy!!
0 of 0 found this helpful
My prior setup was traditional receiver, left right and center speaker plus cheap subwoofer. My son purchased a good quality sound bar and it became immediately apparent to me that it's sound was significantly better than mine. Coupling that with my wife's resistance to having wires running across room to give me surround sound led me to this sound bar. I am very happy with the sound baring in mind that I have not added the rear speakers yet. Dialogue easy to understand a sub is strong and tight. The setup is quite easy and fast. The bar is not perfect. One, pairing the bar with the xfinity remote proved problematic. Solution, call to Crutchfield. Bottom line I am very happy with your technical support. My call was answered immediately and your employee was very helpful, friendly and professional. Coupling the bar to Alexa also was not an easy process. The bar has only two hdmis as does my tv causing me to delete my DVD hook up. I have a dedicated home theater and rarely played a DVD in living room so losing that connection is not a big deal.
Pros: Sound Music Cast allowing for surround sound and multi room connection Alexa Easy connection
Cons: Limited connection Setup Lights on rear of bar
0 of 0 found this helpful
I already had a low end Yamaha soundbar (ATS-1070) that I had purchased at Costco and ABSOLUTELY LOVED. The quality of sound from that bar led me to look at Yamaha when I decided to go with a "whole-house wireless" system. I needed to get a MusicCast compatible bar (YAS-408) to go with the 2 wireless speakers (WX-021) that would go in other rooms in my house. My family room has high ceilings, hard floors and no drapes/curtains so it is a very "live" room that is easily filled with sound, but I am still able to get a warm controlled sound from the YAS-408 bar and subwoofer whether I'm playing rock music, TV or streaming a podcast. The MusicCast app allows for good adjustment . . . . I am very pleased with my new system!
Pros: MusicCast features Crutchfield customer service (Trish)
Cons: Size of subwoofer
0 of 0 found this helpful
This sound bar was a great buy, specially since I purchased it on sale. It is very easy to install and the sound quality is exceptional. It also has the ability to interface with blue tooth which allows for other types of access. I am very happy with my decision to purchase this sound bar.
0 of 0 found this helpful
What I expected for the cost and performs well in our space
0 of 1 found this helpful
Quality product. I have the Yas 207 and this is definitely an upgrade from that unit. The 400 has much more power and sound quality, it really fills the living room.
Pros: Loud Clear Fills room
Cons: None yet
4 of 4 found this helpful
So far I am very satisfied. It was easy to set up and I am learning how to use Alexa with it.
2 of 3 found this helpful
1 of 3 found this helpful
Great sound, easy to setup and use. Thank you for the recommendation!
3 of 3 found this helpful
Great sound for me..is what I needed..
1 of 4 found this helpful
It took some researching but I wanted a unit that could expand into a true 5.1 system, but in the meantime be a quality 3.1 system to replace a well rated, but cheap and lacking 2.1 Vizio. Though the Vizio made music sound pretty good, it simply could not deliver on the TV front. Dialogue was so muddled it seemed I needed a true 3.1 system. The YAS-408 Musiccast Bar delivers! My only test so far is hooking up the digital optical cable but I can tell right away dialogue comes through clearly as I watch scenes from Jurassic Park and Transformers. Even without using the Clear Voice function I was getting good dialogue. Clear Voice ON made it even better! Yet all the effects and music are still very much alive, even at a lower volume. And I love how the sub-woofer volume can be controlled separately! It took a couple attempts but I managed to connect the phone app and get all that working too. Music can stream nicely from my phone to the bar and sounds very good. I have an Energy brand 5.1 surround system fed by my Denon receiver, which I consider quite good for a small speaker system and this Musiccast Bar sounds almost as good. I'll be using it in another room. Since this was a new model, I wasn't sure what to expect with few reviews to guide me. But other Yamaha sound bars have been well reviewed and gave me some confidence this one would be great and it seems to be based on this initial experience. How well is hold up over time will be another review to come.
Pros: Moderately priced for so many features; 5.1 expandable; MusicCast capable; quality sound; clear dialogue; good sounding music.
Cons: Only one HDMI input; app is a little tricky.
24 of 25 found this helpful
More details on the Yamaha MusicCast BAR 400 (YAS-408)
Features & specs
|Pieces in System||2|
|Tweeter||1" Dome (2)|
|Woofer||1.75" Cone (4)|
|Subwoofer Driver||6.5" Cone|
|Surround Sound Decoding||5.1-channel|
|4K Video Compatible||Yes|
|HDR Video Compatible||HDR10, Dolby Vision, HLG|
|Audio Return Channel||Yes|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Works with TV Remote (IR)||No|
|Voice Control||Alexa & Google Home optional|
|Apple AirPlay||AirPlay 2|
|Control by App||Apple iOS, Android|
|Bluetooth Connectivity||Built-in (4.2)|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Surface Mount Stand Included||No|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|System Frequency Response||40-23k Hz|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||100|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||100|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|Mini Stereo Audio Inputs||1|
|RCA Stereo Audio Inputs||None|
|Optical Digital Audio Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Audio Inputs||None|
|Sound Bar (inches)||2-3/8H x 38-5/8W x 4-3/8D|
|Sound Bar Weight||6 lbs|
|Subwoofer (inches)||17-7/8H x 7-1/8W x 16D|
|Subwoofer Weight||21 lbs|
Active Soundbar Speaker: The Yamaha MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) active soundbar speaker features a 2ch driver configuration with one 1" dome tweeter and two 1.75" mid-woofers for each of the left & right channels (for a total of two 1" tweeters and four 1.75" mid-woofers). The active soundbar speaker utilizes a 50 watt x 2 channel amplifier to power the enclosed drivers for a 100 watts of total power.
Wireless Powered Subwoofer: The Yamaha MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) includes a wireless powered subwoofer that features a side-firing 6.25" woofer powered by a built-in 100 watt amplifier for dynamic bass response. A front-firing port aids in deeper, bigger bass response. Since the powered sub is wireless, you don't have to connect a cable between the soundbar and the sub (you still will need to plug the sub's AC power cord into a wall). The powered sub's wireless range is 33'.
Dolby Digital & DTS Compatible: The Yamaha MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) soundbar decodes 2ch PCM, multi-channel PCM, Dolby Digital, & DTS audio signals. You can listen to these audio formats in a virtual surround mode or a 2ch stereo mode. The 2ch stereo mode is ideal for music, while the virtual surround mode provides a much more immersive soundfield for movies.
|Digital Audio Connector||Audio Signal Type||Audio Signal Format|
|HDMI||Multichannel PCM||2ch-6ch, 32-192kHz, 16/20/24-bit|
|Bitstream||Dolby Digital, DTS|
|Optical||2Ch PCM||2ch, 32-96Hz, 16/20/24-bit|
|Bitstream||Dolby Digital, DTS|
DTS Virtual:X + 3D Surround: The Yamaha MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) can deliver immersive 3D surround sound, simulating sound effects that seem to move around the listener and even have a sense of height. Thanks to DTS Virtual:X & 3D Surround the MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) allows surround sound to be heard not only from horizontal directions, but also from varying heights. DTS Virtual:X can be used with any content (from 2ch to 5.1ch soundtracks), while delivering virtual height & virtual surround processing based on psychoacoustics (not reflective surfaces). Ideal for use with any multichannel content (including DTS- and Dolby-encoded soundtracks) it creates more spacious, lifelike sound for all of your favorite TV shows, movies and games.
Audio Enhancements: The Yamaha MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) offers a variety of audio settings to enhance your listening experience, so you can enjoy your movies and music even more.
- Surround Presets: From Yamaha's free MusicCast Controller app on your Apple iOS or Android device you can select between different surround modes - TV Program, Stereo, Movie, Music, Sports, & Game. Or, you can simply select a 2ch stereo mode.
- Clear Voice: Clear Voice raises the level of dialog and narrations while maintaining overall sound quality. Movies and TV shows, sports commentary and news broadcasts are more clearly audible.
- Bass Extension: Yamaha's exclusive Bass Extension technology boosts the bass from the wireless powered sub to produce a bigger, fuller sound. You an also adjust the wireless powered subwoofer's volume level independently from the system's overall volume.
- Compressed Music Enhancer: The Compressed Music Enhancer restores frequency response lost during digital compression, so your music sounds the way it should. Optimized for Bluetooth audio transmission, you'll enjoy vivid, lively sound quality during wireless playback. When a compressed source is played, the Compressed Music Enhancer engages automatically.
Wireless Surround: You can combine the MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) with a pair of MusicCast 20 (WX-021) speakers, a pair of MusicCast 50 (WX-051) speakers, or a single MusicCast50 (WX-051) speaker and enjoy the convenience of creating a home theater system with wireless rear speakers in a 4.1-channel configuration. From the MusicCast Controller app you can adjust the distance and level of each surround speaker. The MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) and the MusicCast 20 (WX-021) or MusicCast 50 (WX-051) speakers must be on the same wireless network.
Analog & Digital Audio Inputs: The Yamaha MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) is outfitted with both analog & digital audio inputs to connect to your TV. There is one optical (toslink) digital input that supports 2Ch PCM, 5.1ch Dolby Digital, and 5.1ch DTS audio signals (up to 24-bit/32-48kHz). There is also one stereo minijack (3.5mm) audio input for televisions without an optical digital out.
Note: The digital optical output terminals of some flat-panel TVs only send an audio signal in 5.1ch when receiving Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or connected USB device; and will output only 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, or RCA (like your Blue-ray/DVD player or satellite/cable box).
Bluetooth Audio: The Yamaha MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) offers built-in Bluetooth 4.2 for wireless music streaming (A2DP) & control (AVRCP). This allows you to stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content on your Bluetooth-enabled source devices (such as your smartphone, tablet, desktop computer, or laptop) to the MusicCast WX-021 speaker. The speaker has a wireless Bluetooth range of approximately 33'.
- SBC + AAC Codecs: In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) speaker offers support of AAC. By supporting AAC, the MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) offers better audio performance of the music streamed from your Apple iOS device.
- Multi-Device Pairing: The MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) can be paired with multiple Bluetooth source devices, but only one device can be connected and used at a time. If one or Bluetooth devices had been connected to the speaker before, the speaker will automatically connect to the last connected device when Bluetooth is enabled.
- Linked Playback Mode: With Linked Playback Mode, music streamed via Bluetooth to one MusicCast device can then be wirelessly streamed to multiple MusicCast devices for multiroom audio. Bluetooth is limited to the SBC codec during Linked Playback mode.
Note: The MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) does not support Bluetooth hands-free communication for making and answering phone calls.
ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature of the Yamaha MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408)'s HDMI output allows audio to be sent from your compatible TV to the soundbar through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your TV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
Note: The ARC-enabled HDMI input on some TVs will only pass 2ch PCM from devices connected to the TV via HDMI or analog, so we recommend that you connect your Blu-ray player or Satellite/Cable box to the Yamaha soundbar directly; and then connect the MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408)'s ARC-enabled HDMI output to your TV's ARC-enabled HDMI input. This setup will give you with the best overall sound performance.
HDMI 2.0b: The Yamaha MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) is outfitted with one HDMI input and one HDMI ARC output that support the latest HDMI 2.0b specifications; including 4K/60Hz, HDCP 2.2, HDR (High Dynamic Range), 4:4:4 color subsampling, & Wide Color Gamut (BT.2020) for full support of today's 4K content from Ultra HD Blu-ray & online video services (like Amazon & Netflix).
- 4K/60Hz + HDCP 2.2: The MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) supports up to 4K (3840x2160 pixels) video @ 60 frames per second through its HDMI input and output. It also supports a 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p video signal. The HDMI input and output also support HDCP 2.2, which fully complies with the latest copyright protection standard for 4K video transmission.
- 4:4:4 Color Subsampling: In addition, the HDMI input and output support RGB, YCbCr 4:4:4, YCbCr 4:2:2, and YCbCr 4:2:0 color subsampling (@ 60Hz or 50Hz). With 4:4:4 color subsampling, luminance (brightness) and chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate; resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail.
- Wide Color Gamut (BT.2020): The BT.2020 color standard delivers a much wider color gamut and represents about 75% of the total visual color spectrum, while the current Rec. 709 color standard selected as the color space for HDTVs and early generation 4K Ultra HDTVs covers only 35% of the total visual color spectrum.
HDR (High Dynamic Range): The Yamaha MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) supports HDR (high dynamic range) Video - including HDR 10, Dolby Vision, and Hybrid Log-Gamma. HDR (High Dynamic Range Video) provides enhanced picture quality by simultaneously enabling greater detail for both the dark and bright parts of an image. HDR reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, creating greater contrast. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth.
- HDR 10: HDR 10 is an open standard and currently the most popular HDR format on the market. It uses static metadata at the start of a movie to tell the soundbar system and your TV that the video content is encoded using HDR.
- Hybrid-Log Gamma: HLG (Hybrid-Log Gamma) is primarily designed for live video feed and over-the-air broadcasts. It uses no pre-encoded metadata and is backwards compatible with SDR. HLG's native compatibility allows much of today's existing SDR infrastructure to be re-used for HDR in the future.
- Dolby Vision: Unlike HDR 10 which contains static metadata and HLG which uses no metadata, Dolby Vision uses dynamic metadata technology which sets individual color and brightness levels for each and every scene. Dolby works directly with filmmakers at major Hollywood studios to create superior HDR video masters of blockbuster movies.
Other HDMI Features: The Yamaha MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) also offers 3D video pass-through, Deep Color & x.v.Color support, as well as an auto LipSync function via HDMI.
- 3D Ready: The MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) soundbar supports 3D video pass-through (720p/1080p only) from connected 3D-compatible Blu-ray, games and broadcast devices to 3D-compatible HDTVs (all 3D components must be connected via HDMI). Special eyewear will be required for viewing 3D content.
- Deep Color & x.v.Color: The soundbar's HDMI jacks support Deep Color & x.v.Color content, which can display a larger color range than standard-definition schemes. The result is a more lifelike, vibrant picture.
- Auto Lip-Sync: The soundbar speaker system automatically adjusts the delay in output timing between video signals and audio signals so they match when you are watching a movie. You can also manually adjust the audio delay between 0 to 500 ms.
MusicCast: The Yamaha MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) is part of Yamaha's MusicCast multiroom audio eco-system. MusicCast from Yamaha, brings music to every room in your home wirelessly with control provided by the free MusicCast Controller app for Apple iOS 10.0+ and Android OS 4.1+. Designed to easily work with your existing home WiFi network, MusicCast offers access to a wide range of audio content from your downloaded music library, Internet radio, and select online music services. MusicCast is enabled on many 2015-up Yamaha components like their AV receivers, wireless speakers, soundbars, and other HiFi components.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: With MusicCast you can choose to build a wireless or wired network, or a combination of both if desired. The Yamaha MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) supports both wireless and wired network connectivity through its built-in dual-band (2.4/5GHz) WiFi (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac) and wired Ethernet (RJ-45) port. Network setup is completed through the free MusicCast Controller app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device.
Note: If you want to install a MusicCast device to a location that is out of range of your wireless router, connect another MusicCast device to the router with a network cable to extend the range ("Extend Mode").
High Resolution Audio: The MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) supports true high-resolution audio formats to deliver more accurate reproduction of sonic details. The MusicCast eco-system is compatible with high resolution FLAC, AIFF and WAV music files up to 192kHz/24-bit; as well as Apple Lossless (ALAC) up to 96kHz/24-bit. It also supports lower resolution music files like MP3, WMA, and AAC up to 48kHz.
|File||Sampling Frequency||Bit-rate or Bit-depth||Gapless Playback|
|MP3||32/44.1/48 kHz||up to 320 kbps||N|
|WMA||32/44.1/48 kHz||up to 320 kbps||N|
|AAC||32/44.1/48 kHz||up to 320 kbps||N|
|WAV (PCM)||32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz||16/24-bit||Y|
Note: When multiple MusicCast devices are "linked" for multiroom audio playback, the Master room device's playback is at the native sampling rate (up to 192kHz/24-bit), while the other rooms and MusicCast devices are down-converted to 48kHz.
Online Music Services: The Yamaha MuiscCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) offers access to Internet Radio through built-in Airable by TuneIn; your Spotify Premium account through Spotify Connect on your Apple iOS or Android device; and your Pandora, TIDAL, SiriusXM, Qobuz, Napster, or Deezer music account through Yamaha's MusicCast Controller app.
- Airable by TuneIn: You can listen to Internet radio stations using Airable by TuneIn. Search worldwide internet radio content by Genre, Language, Location, Quality, Popularity, or do a keyword search.
- Spotify Connect: With the Spotify app on your Apple iOS or Android smartphone, you've got instant access to millions of songs. And now you can stream those same songs from your smartphone to the MuiscCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) by using Spotify Connect; simply hit play on the app to start streaming music. What's more, when you've been listening to Spotify on your smartphone outside and come inside, the song immediately begins to stream to the unit for uninterrupted music enjoyment. You can also personalize playlists and receive phone calls while listening to music.
- Pandora: Pandora is accessible through the Yamaha MusicCast Controller app for Apple iOS & Android. Pandora is personalized radio that plays music and comedy you'll love. Just start with the name of one of your favorite artists, songs, comedians or composers and Pandora will create a custom station that plays similar tracks. You can also rate (thumbs up/thumbs down) songs as they play, and Pandora will adapt stations to your feedback. You can even bookmark stations and easily switch between favorites.
- TIDAL: Tidal is accessible through the Yamaha MusicCast Controller app for Apple iOS & Android. TIDAL is a global streaming service that offers over 30 million songs in high-fidelity CD sound quality. TIDAL has two pricing tiers; either $9.99 or $19.99 a month. Both pricing levels allow you to access TIDAL's entire music library. The $19.99 tier has the added benefit of high-fidelity sound at CD-level quality.
- SiriusXM: SiriusXM Internet Radio is accessible through the Yamaha MusicCast Controller app and lets you listen to over 120 channels of commercial-free music, talk radio, news, sports, entertainment, and more. Subscription fees will apply.
- Qobuz: Qobuz offers the biggest catalog of Hi-Fi and Hi-Res albums in the world, both for new releases and specialized genres. For hundreds of thousands of albums, Qobuz includes all the information you need to recreate the appeal of a real CD - the names of musicians, producers, lyrics (everything you need to know to appreciate your favorite albums). Qobuz offers MP3, CD, and Hi-Res quality subscriptions.
- Napster: Napster is also accessible through the Yamaha MusicCast Controller app. This streaming music subscription service (starting a $10 per month) allows you to play the full-length songs you choose on demand from a collection of over 10 million songs, without ads and without having to purchase or download the music.
- Deezer: Deezer is an online music service offering over 43 million tracks starting at $9.99 a month and is accessible through the Yamaha MusicCast Controller app. Discover the perfect playlist or make your own, as well as browse curated collections by genre.
Multiroom Audio: Start with the Yamaha MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) in your living room or bedroom and add other MusicCast products from Yamaha (like wireless speakers, AV receiver, and HiFi components) over time to create a multiroom audio, whole-house experience. Up to 10 MusicCast devices can be connected. You can play the same audio source throughout your home or different audio sources on grouped MusicCast components.
- Compatible Sources:
- All MusicCast music services (including Airable by TuneIn, Pandora, Tidal, Spotify, SiriusXM, Deezer, and Napster).
- Music libraries on your Apple iOS or Android smartphone running the MusicCast Controller app, as well as on your DLNA compliant computer, laptop, or NAS drive.
- Bluetooth audio (SBC codec only).
- Yamaha AV receivers, soundbars, and other Hi-Fi components which feature MusicCast offer multiroom streaming of connected external analog & digital sources - including HDMI, Optical/Coax, USB, RCA/Aux, and Phono inputs.
- A radio station from a MusiCast AV receiver's AM/FM tuner can even be distributed to multiple rooms.
- Incompatible Sources:
- AirPlay cannot be multiroom distributed via MusicCast.
Note: Yamaha's new MusicCast system is not compatible with Yamaha's older MusicCAST system.
DLNA: The MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) speaker supports DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5, allowing access to DLNA-compatible Windows 7/8/10 computers (with Windows Media Player 11 or 12) and network attached storage (NAS) devices. You'll be able to wirelessly stream the music libraries on your computer, laptop, or NAS to the Yamaha MusicCast speaker system.
Note: Digital Rights Management (DRM) content cannot be played back.
AirPlay 2 (via available firmware update): Through an available firmware update, the Yamaha MuiscCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) will support AirPlay 2. AirPlay 2 is an advanced and easy-to-use wireless multiroom audio platform for iTunes, Apple Music, and other compatible Apple iOS apps. With AirPlay 2 you can play any sound from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 11.4 or later) or Mac computer (running OS X 10.13.2) on the MuiscCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) and other compatible AirPlay 2 speakers throughout your home. You will also be able to ask Siri-enabled devices (like your Apple iPhone, iPad, or Watch) to control playback of your Apple Music on the Yamaha MuiscCast Bar 400 (YAS-408). You can choose to play audio in one room, play the same audio in grouped rooms, or play the same audio in every room (you can control and group directly from Apple's Music App and Home app on your Apple iOS device). You can even watch videos and movies from YouTube and Netflix on your compatible Apple iOS device or Mac computer with perfectly synced audio on the Yamaha MuiscCast Bar 400 (YAS-408).
Firmware Updates: Firmware updates for the MusicCast products can be made through their network connection and the MusicCast app on your Apple iOS or Android device. The app will notify you when a firmware update is available.
MusicCast Controller App: The free MusicCast Controller app for (Apple iOS 10.0+ and Android OS 4.1+) will need to be downloaded on your compatible smartphone or tablet device. The MusicCast Controller app puts control of your whole home listening experience in the palm of your hand from your Apple iOS or Android device. You'll be able to quickly select the room or rooms you want to listen to music in, select the source or sources you want to listen to, browse music content from your music library and online music services, listen to Internet Radio, plus control music playback functions.
- Rooms: Choose which room or rooms you want to listen to music in. You can select a different source for each room, group certain rooms together for playback of the same source, or link all rooms together so the same source is played back throughout the house.
- Source Selection: From the app you can select which source or sources you want to listen to. Choose from network-connected devices (such as your Apple iOS/Android device or DLNA server); select online music services, Internet Radio or Bluetooth, as well as analog & digital audio inputs (including HDMI). You can even select a AM/FM ratio station from a MusicCast AV receiver.
- Music Browsing: You can browse music libraries from your network-connected devices; like your smartphone, tablet, computer, or laptop. You can also browse music content from select online music services and search Internet Radio stations from the MusicCast Controller app. You can also browse music files on your USB-connected thumbdrive.
- Playback & Song/Artist Info: From the MusicCast Controller app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device you get Volume Up/Down, Play/Pause, and Previous/Next Track; as well as song/artist information and album art.
- Favorites: Internet radio stations, content from select online music services, plus playlists and songs from your network-connected device's music library can be saved as "Favorites" for quick recall within the MusicCast Controller app. Up to 40 Favorites can be registered.
- Personalization & Customization: With the app's unique personalization features, you can choose from preloaded room images or change the color of buttons to represent each room in the home, or even take pictures of their own home and assign the images to each button. The content source buttons can also be customized to rename, remove or reorder selections for easier operation.
Alexa & Google Voice Control: Alexa and Google Home enabled devices (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) are able to control key functions of Yamaha's MusicCast system using voice commands. With Alexa & Google Home voice control integration, all you have to do is ask. The MuiscCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) offers full compatibility with Amazon's and Google's range of voice control devices. Yamaha offers two Skill platforms that work hand-in-hand to give you a wide range of voice command possibilities, allowing you to control either a single MusicCast product or a whole MusicCast system. The Yamaha MuiscCast Bar 400 (YAS-408), other MusicCast components, and Alexa/Google-enabled devices must be on the same WiFi network.
- MusicCast Smart Home Skill: The MusicCast Smart Home skill supports the most common, everyday voice commands you would use to control a single MusicCast component. These basic commands include power on/off, volume control, play/pause/skip/previous, mute/unmute and input selection. This skill supports simple, Alexa and Google standardized commands such as "Alexa" or "Ok Google", "volume up in the Kitchen."
- MusicCast Skill: The MusicCast skill goes beyond the basics, giving you enhanced control of unique MusicCast functions such as room linking, multiple room control, playback of MusicCast Favorites/Playlists and more. The commands are customized for MusicCast, for example "Alexa" or "Ok Google", "ask MusicCast to link the Kitchen with the Living Room."
- Echo Source Input: In addition or alternatively, an Echo device can be used as a music/audio source for a MusicCast system. All MusicCast devices offer a Bluetooth input. Just pair your Echo device with any MusicCast component and the sound will play from the MusicCast device. Many MusicCast products also offer inputs which can be connected to Echo Dot via its line output, if a wired connection is preferred over Bluetooth. Using the MusicCast Controller app, you can select the Bluetooth or wired input and link multiple MusicCast devices for playback, allowing you to hear sound from Echo Dot throughout your home.
IR Remote + HDMI Control: The Yamaha MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) comes with an easy-to-use IR remote control for wireless operation of the soundbar speaker system. Also, if your TV supports HDMI CEC and uses HDMI connectivity, it is possible to control many functions of the soundbar system using your TV's remote to simplify day-to-day operation. HDMI Control functions include Power On/Off, Input Source Selection, and Volume Up/Down.
Note: This soundbar does not allow you to program your TV remote to operate the speaker, but does offer HDMI control through your compatible TV's remote.
Top-Panel Controls: The Yamaha MusicCast Bar 400 (YAS-408) features the following top-panel controls - Power On/Off, Input Select, Volume Up/Down, and Mute.
3 Preset (Favorite) Buttons: Three preset (favorite) buttons give you one-touch access to your music favorites (save a favorite music playlist, online music service, or Internet radio station). Simply press and hold the preset buttons (1/2/3) to store a music source. The 3 preset buttons are located on the IR remote control (not with top-panel controls).
Auto Power Standby: Enabling the Auto Power Standby function prevents the system from remaining on when not in use. The system will automatically turn off if there is no operation for 8 hours, or there is no audio input signal and no operation for 20 minutes.
Tabletop or Wall-Mount The Soundbar: At only 2.375" tall, the soundbar fits neatly in front of most TVs or can be placed on the shelf of a TV stand. The built-in keyholes (18" apart) make it easy to wall-mount with a sleek look that perfectly complements almost any flat-panel TV. Sound equalization is automatically adjusted for tabletop or wall mount orientation.
Flexible Placement for Wireless Sub: The wireless powered subwoofer eliminates the need to connect cables, so setup and placement are faster and easier. You will still need to connect the powered sub's power cord to an AC outlet. The wireless sub can be positioned almost anywhere in the room (up to 33'). For best performance, it should be placed on the same wall as the soundbar.
Power Requirements: The active soundbar speaker and wireless powered subwoofer will need to be plugged into an AC wall outlet, surge protector or power conditioner (sold separately). Each comes with a detachable 6' AC power cord.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
2 questions already asked