About the Yamaha YSP-1600
Yamaha's impressive surround sound — plus multi-room music
Yamaha's impressive surround sound — plus multi-room music
Sitting at a mere 2-1/2 inches tall, the Yamaha YSP-1600 sound bar fits under your TV and dishes out big sound.
Yamaha does sound bars right. We've long been amazed by how well they deliver a true multi-channel home theater experience from a single bar. The slim YSP-1600 5.1-channel powered sound bar is no different. It uses eight beam drivers to cleverly bounce sound off of the walls in your room, creating remarkably real surround effects for shows, movies, and sports.
And with built-in Wi-Fi®, it also offers even more for music lovers — Yamaha's new MusicCast multi-room audio system. MusicCast gives you a world of wireless music options at your fingertips. The YSP-1600 sound bar also works together with other Yamaha MusicCast speakers and components so you can put together an easy-to-use whole-home music system.
Surround effects you can customize
Yamaha goes to great lengths to give you the illusion that atmospheric effects are coming at you from all directions. Settings for the YSP-1600's beam drivers can be tweaked so they are tailored to your room and seating position. You also have a choice between presets to hear sound optimized for movies, music, sports, video games, or studio programming like news.
Wondering about the bass? Two built-in subwoofers in this bar reproduce the low frequencies, and a subwoofer output on the back panel means you can add your own powered sub of choice if you're craving more down the road..
MusicCast lets you choose how to listen
With the addition of MusicCast, this sound bar gives you lots of music sources to choose from. Access your personal digital music library, Internet radio, and popular streaming services. There's support for Pandora® and SiriusXM. If you're a Spotify® Premium subscriber, Spotify Connect lets you access all your favorite albums and playlists. MusicCast even supports high-resolution audio formats.
You can play the same song or music service in a room or group of rooms, while you play different music in other parts of the house. You can even send TV sound or another connected source from the YSP-1600 sound bar to other MusicCast systems. That's a cool feature if you need to leave the room, but still want to keep track of a game or show — or listen to the news.
Built-in 2-way Bluetooth for even more freedom
Want to quickly play a song you found on YouTube™ or SoundCloud? Not a problem. Use Bluetooth to stream sound from your phone through the MusicCast system — no restrictions! You can also send audio from the YSP-1600 to other Bluetooth-enabled hardware. That means you can play MusicCast sound through portable speakers and wireless headphones.
A free app puts the control in your hand
Control all your MusicCast speakers and components with the free app for Apple® and Android™ smartphones or tablets. It lets you select rooms, browse music sources, and start and stop playback with an intuitive interface.
More MusicCast components to build a whole-home music system
MusicCast WX-030 - compact speaker adds MusicCast wireless music to any room.
Yamaha home theater receivers - Play MusicCast through your stereo and send sound from connected sources like TV, CD, or vinyl to other MusicCast components.
MusicCast SRT-1500 sound system/TV platform - Space-saving sound platform sits under your TV and plays home theater sound and MusicCast wireless music.
- low-profile, 2-1/2"-tall design fits under the screen of most pedestal-mounted TVs
- connects to your Wi-Fi network and Yamaha's MusicCast wireless whole home music system
- built-in amplifiers: 2.5 watts x 8 (beam drivers), 30 watts x 2 (subwoofers)
- features 10 built-in speakers:
- eight 1-1/8" beam drivers
- two 3-1/4" cone subwoofers
- bass reflex (ported) cabinet for enhanced low-frequency response
- Yamaha's Digital Sound Projector technology delivers 5.1-channel sound with wide dispersion and reflection to create lifelike surround sound
- adjust the beam speaker settings with the remote to ensure realistic surround effects tailored to your room
- Dolby Digital® and DTS® decoding
- five Cinema DSP listening modes: Movie, Music, Sports, Gaming, and TV
- rests on a TV stand or can be mounted on a wall (hardware not included)
- includes remote control with independent subwoofer volume
MusicCast wireless multi-room music system:
- connects to your Wi-Fi network for wireless music listening
- built-in Bluetooth lets you stream directly from compatible devices
- also sends audio wirelessly to Bluetooth-enabled speakers or headphones
- free MusicCast app lets you control the player and play music with your Apple or Android device
- support for online music services, including Spotify, Pandora, SiriusXM, and thousands of free Internet radio stations (subscription required for some services)
- connects wirelessly to other Yamaha speakers and receivers with MusicCast to play the same song through multiple speakers or different songs in different rooms
- plays MP3, AAC, WMA, FLAC, ALAC, WAV, and AIFF files
- supports high-res playback for PCM-based files up to 24-bit/192kHz
- built-in music enhancer for smoothing out the sound of over-compressed MP3 files
- Apple AirPlay® for streaming from compatible Apple devices and computers running iTunes®
- DLNA support for streaming music from compatible networked computers and NAS drives
- supports 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi (2.4 GHz)
Connections and Dimensions:
- 1 HDMI input and 1 HDMI output (4K-compatible)
- HDCP 2.2 copy-protection compatibility for future 4K broadcast and streaming content
- 1 optical digital input (cable included)
- 1 minijack analog input
- mono preamp output for optional powered sub
- Ethernet port for a wired connection to a home network
- 39-3/8"W x 2-7/16"H x 6"D (with antenna down)
- weight: 10.4 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # YSP-1600
What's in the box:
- Active soundbar speaker
- Remote control (FSR86)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 58" Optical digital cable
- 2 Wall-mount brackets
- Four M4 x 12mm screws (flat-/lock-washers installed)
- Wall-mount template
- Owner's Manual on CD-ROM
- Quick Reference Guide
- MusicCast Setup Guide
- "Yamaha Worldwide Representative Offices" sheet
- Online Product Registration Card
- Supplement for Pandora
- Supplement for Spotify
- "Spotify Premium" offer
Yamaha YSP-1600 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Yamaha YSP-1600
Features & specs
|Number Of Channels||5.1|
|Virtual Surround||Cinema DSP|
|Optical Digital Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||None|
|HDMI ARC Input||Yes|
|HDMI eARC Input||No|
|3.5mm Stereo Analog Inputs||1|
|RCA Stereo Analog Inputs||None|
|USB Type-A Input||No|
|Midrange||1.125" Cone (8)|
|Woofer||3.25" Cone (2)|
|System Frequency Response||50-22k Hz|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||80|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||N/A|
|HDMI Video Pass-through Resolution||4K|
|HDR Video Compatible||No|
|Control by App||Apple iOS, Android|
|Remote IR Passthrough||Yes|
|Learns TV Remote||No|
|Files on Your Network||Yes|
|Built-in Wi-Fi Version||802.11 b/g/n|
|Mounting Bracket Included||Yes|
|Sound Bar Size (inches)||2-7/16H x 39-3/8W x 6D|
|Sound Bar Weight||10.4 lbs|
|Subwoofer Size (inches)||No Subwoofer|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Digital Sound Projector: While many other soundbars offer only stereo audio or a "virtual surround" experience, the YSP-1600 soundbar speaker uses Yamaha exclusive Digital Sound Projector technology to produce sound beams that reflect off the walls of your room to deliver a truer 5.1ch surround sound effect. The result is an expansive and immersive listening experience that brings your favorite TV shows and movies to life.
- 8 Beam Drivers: The YSP-1600 soundbar speaker features eight 1.125" beam drivers powered by a built-in amplifier that delivers 2.5 watts to each driver.
- Dual Subwoofers: Two upward-facing, powerful 3.25" subwoofers are built into the ends of the soundbar speaker. Combined with two rear-firing bass reflex ports, the YSP-1600 soundbar delivers deep and expansive bass for both movies and music. The soundbar's built-in amplifier delivers 30 watts to each subwoofer.
CINEMA DSP: CINEMA DSP technology creates thrillingly realistic soundscapes in any room. Conventional multichannel audio reproduction systems base their sound on Dolby Digital and DTS Digital Surround decoding, using matrix and steering technologies to create surround sound effects. Yamaha CINEMA DSP Digital is much more advanced; actually creating independent sound fields that envelop you in an unmatched surround sound experience. With dialogue, music, and effects located in separate sound fields, you will hear sound with directionality, smooth movement, exceptional clarity and presence. You can use the included remote control to select six different programs; including Movie, Music, Sports, Game, TV Program, Stereo (off).
- Movie: Creates a broad and expansive cinematic soundstage. With Dolby or DTS surround, this mode further enriches your cinematic experience.
- Music: Creates a live concert experience with a wide, dynamic soundstage; great for music soundtracks.
- Sports: Creates a realistic sound of a live sports event.
- Game: Enjoy three-dimensional sound effects with computer or video games.
- TV Program: Creates optimum surround sound for TV programs.
- Stereo (Off): Cinema DSP is turned off and stereo sound is produced from the soundbar speaker.
Audio Technologies: The YSP-1600 soundbar utilizes two of Yamaha's audio technologies (Clear Voice & Compressed Music Enhancer) for a better listening experience when watching movies or listening to your digital music files.
- Clear Voice: Human voices, such as dialog in TV shows and movies, news, and sports commentary are played back with extra clarity. This technology enhances the acoustic characteristics of speech and increases the perceived volume level, while still maintaining the quality of the soundtrack's background sound & effects.
- Compressed Music Enhancer: This technology enhances and extends bass & treble, which tend to be weak in digitally compressed music formats such a MP3, WMA, and AAC. The Compressed Music Enhancer makes your compressed audio sound more musically dynamic and rich.
HDMI 2.0: The Yamaha YSP-1600 is fitted with one HDMI 2.0 input and one ARC-enabled HDMI 2.0 output. The HDMI jacks support the latest HDMI 2.0 standards.
- 4K/60Hz + HDCP 2.2: Thanks to transmission of 4K video at 60 frames per second, you can fully enjoy the high definition video quality of without degradation. It also adheres to the HDCP 2.2 copyright protection standard for 4K video transmission.
- 5.1ch Audio: The YSP-1600's HDMI jacks support 2ch linear PCM (up to 192kHz/24-bit), 5.1ch linear PCM (up to 192kHz/24-bit), as well as Dolby Digital & DTS.
- ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature allows audio to be sent from your compatible TV to the soundbar speaker through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your TV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
- 3D-Ready: The soundbar speaker's HDMI jacks will accept 3D video from your 3D Blu-ray player and output the video signal in 3D to your 3D-ready HDTV.
- Deep/x.v.Color: The Yamaha soundbar also supports Deep Color and x.v.Color content, which can display a larger color range than standard-definition schemes. The result is a more lifelike, vibrant picture.
- Auto Lip-Sync: The soundbar automatically adjusts the delay in output timing between video signals and audio signals so they match when you are watching a movie. You can also manually adjust the audio delay between 0 to 500 ms.
Note: Because with most televisions, the ARC-enabled HDMI input will only pass 2ch PCM from devices connected to the TV via HDMI or analog, we recommend that you connect your Blu-ray/DVD player, Satellite/Cable box, or Gaming console to the Yamaha soundbar directly; and then connect the YSP-1600's ARC-enabled HDMI output to your TV's ARC-enabled HDMI input. This setup will give you with the best overall sound performance.
Analog + Digital Audio Inputs: In addition to HDMI connectivity, the YSP-1600 soundbar is equipped with one analog stereo minijack (3.5mm) input and one optical (toslink) digital input. The optical digital input supports Dolby Digital, DTS, and 2ch PCM up to 96kHz/24-bit).
Note: The digital optical output terminals of most newer flat-panel TVs only send an audio signal in 5.1ch when receiving Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or connected USB device; and will output only 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, or RCA (like your Blue-ray/DVD player or satellite/cable box).
Subwoofer Output: The YSP-1600's subwoofer output lets you connect a powered subwoofer for added bass.
Audio Adjustments: The Yamaha YSP-1600 soundbar offers a variety of audio settings to match the speaker to your application.
- Dynamic Range: Adjusts the soundbar's dynamic range (difference between maximum and minimum volume levels). Select Auto (automatically sets dynamic range for comfortable listening at low volumes), Standard (dynamic range recommended for regular volume level), or Max (output sound without adjusting the dynamic range of the input signal).
- Channel Level: You can adjust the output level of each channel (Front Right/Left, Center, Surround Right/Left, and Subwoofer) on the soundbar speaker to balance output levels. Adjustable range is -10 to +10.
- Subwoofer Level: You can adjust the soundbar's built-in subwoofer output level independently from the speaker's overall volume.
MusicCast: The Yamaha YSP-1600 soundbar is part of Yamaha's MusicCast multiroom audio eco-system. MusicCast from Yamaha, brings music to every room in your home wirelessly with control provided by a free app on your Apple iOS or Android device. Designed to easily work with your existing home WiFi network, MusicCast offers access to a huge range of audio content. This content includes select online music services, Internet radio, digital music libraries, and Bluetooth audio; as well as connected external sources such as TVs, cable/satellite boxes, Blu-ray/DVD Disc players, and CD/SACD players. MusicCast can even select terrestrial AM/FM radio stations for playback throughout the home when linked to a tuner-enabled MusicCast device (like an AV receiver). MusicCast is enabled on many 2015-up Yamaha components like this soundbar speaker, plus their AV receivers, wireless speakers, and other HiFi components.
Note: Yamaha's new MusicCast system is not compatible with Yamaha's old MusicCAST system.
Firmware Update: The YSP-1600 soundbar may require a firmware update in order to use the MusicCast feature.
Multiroom Audio: Start with the Yamaha YSP-1600 soundbar in your living room or bedroom and add other MusicCast products from Yamaha (like wireless speakers, AV receiver, and HiFi systems ) over time to create a multiroom audio, whole-house experience. Up to 10 MusicCast devices can be connected.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Yamaha MusicCast YSP-1600 soundbar supports both WiFi (802.11 b/g/n; 2.4GHz) and wired Ethernet (RJ-45) connections, so you can choose to build a wireless or wired network, or a combination of both if desired. Network setup is completed through the free MusicCast app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device.
Note: If you want to install a MusicCast device to a location that is out of range of your wireless router, connect another MusicCast device to the router with a network cable to extend the range ("Extend Mode").
MusicCast App: The free MusicCast app can be downloaded for Apple (iOS 7.1+) iPod/iPhone/iPad and Android (OS4.1+) smartphones/tablets. The MusicCast app puts control of your whole home listening experience in the palm of your hand from your Apple iOS or Android device. You'll be able to quickly select the room or rooms you want to listen to music in, select the source or sources you want to listen to, browse music content from your music library and online music services or Internet Radio, plus control music playback functions.
- Rooms: Choose which room or rooms you want to listen to music in. You can select a different source for each room, group certain rooms together for playback of the same source, or link all rooms together so the same source is played back throughout the house.
- Source Selection: From the app you can select which source or sources you want to listen to; choose from network-connected devices, select online music services, Internet Radio or Bluetooth for the YSP-1600. You can also select from the soundbar speaker's HDMI, digital and analog inputs, plus TV audio.
- Music Browsing: You can browse music libraries from your network-connected devices; like your smartphone, tablet, computer, or laptop. You can also browse music content from select online music services and search Internet Radio stations from the MusicCast app.
- Playback & Song/Artist Info: From the MusicCast app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device you get Volume Up/Down, Play/Pause, and Previous/Next Track; as well as song/artist information and album art.
- Favorites: Internet radio stations, content from select online music services, plus playlists and songs from your network-connected device's music library can be saved as "Favorites" for quick recall within the MusicCast app.
- Sound Settings: From the MusicCast app you can select between CINEMA DSP modes, activate Clear Voice, and turn on the Compressed Music Enhancer.
- Personalization & Customization: With the app's unique personalization features, you can choose from preloaded room images or change the color of buttons to represent each room in the home, or even take pictures of their own home and assign the images to each button. The content source buttons can also be customized to rename, remove or reorder selections for easier operation.
High Resolution Audio: The Yamaha YSP-1600 supports true high-resolution audio formats to deliver more accurate reproduction of sonic details. The soundbar speaker system is compatible with Apple Lossless (ALAC) up to 96kHz/24-bit, as well as FLAC and WAV music files up to 192kHz/24-bit. It also supports lower resolution music files like MP3, WMA, and AAC up to 48kHz.
|File||Sampling Frequency||Bit-rate or Bit-depth||Gapless Playback|
|MP3||32/44.1/48 kHz||up to 320 kbps||N|
|WMA||32/44.1/48 kHz||up to 320 kbps||N|
|AAC||32/44.1/48 kHz||up to 320 kbps||N|
|WAV (PCM)||32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz||16/24-bit||Y|
Note: When multiple MusicCast devices are "linked" for multiroom audio playback, the Master room device's playback is at the native sampling rate (up to 192kHz/24-bit), while the other rooms and MusicCast devices down-converted to 48kHz.
Streaming Music Partners: MusicCast includes Pandora, Spotify Connect, Rhapsody, and SiriusXM Internet Radio streaming services, as well as thousands of free local and international Internet radio stations from vTuner.
|Pandora||Pandora is free, personalized radio that plays music and comedy you'll love. Just start with the name of one of your favorite artists, songs, comedians or composers and Pandora will create a custom station that plays similar tracks. You can also rate (thumbs up/thumbs down) songs as they play, and Pandora will adapt stations to your feedback. You can create up to 100 stations and easily switch between your favorites.|
|Spotify Connect||With the Spotify app (premium account required) on your Apple iOS or Android smartphone, you've got instant access to millions of songs. And now you can stream those same songs from your smartphone to the Yamaha AV receiver by using Spotify Connect; simply hit play on the app to start streaming music. What's more, when you've been listening to Spotify on your smartphone outside and come inside, the song immediately begins to stream to the system for uninterrupted music enjoyment. You can also personalize playlists and receive phone calls while listening to music.|
|SiriusXM||SiriusXM Internet Radio lets you listen to over 120 channels of commercial-free music, talk radio, news, sports, entertainment, and more.|
|Rhapsody||Rhapsody is a streaming music subscription service (starting a $10 per month) that allows you to play the full-length songs you choose on demand from a collection of over 10 million songs, without ads and without having to purchase or download the music.|
|vTuner||You can also listen to Internet radio stations using the vTuner Internet Radio Station database service particularly customized for this unit, providing a database of numerous radio stations around the world. You can search for Internet Radio stations by Location, Genre, New, Popular, or Podcast.|
Bluetooth Audio: The Yamaha MusicCast YSP-1600 offers built-in Bluetooth (v.2.1+EDR) for wireless music streaming & control. This allows you to stream stored music and music apps on your Bluetooth-enabled Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, Windows Phone/PC, Mac computer/laptop, and more to the soundbar speaker. The speaker can be paired with up to 20 device, but only one can be actively connected.
- SBC + AAC Codecs: In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the YSP-1600 offers support of AAC. By supporting AAC, the soundbar offers better audio performance of the music streamed from your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
- Linked Playback Mode: With Linked Playback Mode, music streamed via Bluetooth to one MusicCast device can then be wirelessly streamed to multiple MusicCast devices for multiroom audio. Bluetooth is limited to the SBC codec during Linked Playback mode.
- Bluetooth Output: The Bluetooth Output feature allows you to wirelessly stream audio from a non-Bluetooth source of a MusicCast device to another Bluetooth speaker or headphones (regardless of manufacture), making it even more convenient to add the MusicCast eco-system to your existing audio gear. Bluetooth is limited to the SBC codec during "Bluetooth Output" Playback mode.
AirPlay: AirPlay lets you stream your favorite songs directly from your Apple iOS (4.3.3+) device or from your iTunes (10.2.2+) library on your Windows PC or Mac computer to the Yamaha MusicCast YSP-1600 speaker, over your home's WiFi network connection. From your Apple iOS device you are able to stream stored music and music apps on your device to the Yamaha MusicCast speaker. From your Windows or Mac you can stream your stored iTunes music library on your computer to the MusicCast speaker.
Note: AirPlay is not available for multiroom audio playback.
DLNA: The MusicCast YSP-1600 speaker supports DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5, allowing access to DLNA-compatible Windows 7/8 computers (with Windows Media Player 11 or 12) and network attached storage (NAS) devices. You'll be able to wirelessly stream the music libraries on your computer, laptop, or NAS to the Yamaha MusicCast speaker system.
Note: Digital Rights Management (DRM) content cannot be played back.
Home Theater Controller App: Download Yamaha's free Home Theater Controller app for Apple iOS (5.1.1+) or Android (2.3.3+) to easily perform a variety of functions from your Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad or Android smartphone/tablet. Basic functions include Input Selection and Volume Up/Down. Advanced functions include selecting Cinema DSP modes, Clear Voice, or the Enhance Music Enhancer for the best listening experience. Your Apple iOS or Android device and the YSP-1600 soundbar must be connected to the same WiFi network.
IR Remote + Repeater: The Yamaha YSP-1600 includes an IR remote control for wireless operation of the soundbar speaker system. If the soundbar speaker blocks your TV's remote control signal, the unit's remote repeater function transmits the signal to the TV so operation is not affected.
HDMI Control: You can also use your TV's remote control to operate this system, if your television supports the HDMI control function and is connected to the soundbar's HDMI output. The soundbar speaker will automatically select the input according to the input source setting on your TV. You will also be able to turn on/off the soundbar with your television.
OSD (On-Screen Display): A convenient on-screen display provides menu setup and audio adjustments.
Auto Standby & Sleep Timer: The soundbar speaker will automatically enter standby mode after approximately 20 minutes of no audio playback and no operation. You can set the unit's Sleep Timer to 30, 60, 90 or 120 minutes from the app on your compatible mobile device.
Firmware Updates: New firmware updates that provide additional features or product improvements will be released by Yamaha in the future. If the soundbar speaker is connected to the Internet, you can download the firmware via the network and update it. If the soundbar is not connected to the Internet, you can download the latest firmware update from the Yamaha Website to a USB thumbdrive, which can then be used to update the speaker's firmware.
Table Top: The slim body makes it extremely easy to position the YSP-1600 soundbar speaker in front of a TV, ensuring that the screen is not blocked
Wall-Mount: The Yamaha YSP-1600 soundbar can also be wall-mounted using the included keyhole mounting brackets (screws not included). A wall-mount template is also included to help with installation.
Soundbar Position: From the YSP-1600 soundbar's on-screen menu, you can indicate where you have the speaker positioned - centered along wall, to the right of center, or to the left of center. This will calibrate the system's sound beams so they reflect off the walls appropriately.
6 questions already asked