About the Blaupunkt Toronto 420 BT
A classic beauty
A classic beauty
Blaupunkt'sToronto 420 BT CD receiver really catches the eye with its classic lines and traditional two-knob layout. But its old school looks won't keep you in the dark when you're driving — the bright white 15-digit scrolling display keeps you in the loop on song and system information, while the simple controls allow you to access an extensive list of features. And beneath the striking exterior, you'll find a modern car stereo that's all about performance.
Bluetooth makes drive time better
Once you've got Bluetooth in your car, it's hard to imagine how you managed without it. With the Toronto, you can answer calls with the touch of a button, and speak as if your caller were sitting next to you. The front panel features a built-in microphone, but you can purchase Blaupunkt's optional external microphone for optimal performance in convertibles or other noisy vehicles. Plus, you'll get wireless audio streaming from your Bluetooth devices too — eliminating the need to plug in your devices when you get in the car.
More ways to enjoy your music
The Toronto features both front and rear USB inputs, giving you plenty of options for hooking up an iPhone®, iPod®, or thumb drive. You can control your playlists and song selection from the receiver when your iPhone/iPod is connected, so you won't have to pick up your device to find your favorite tunes. Of course, you can play your favorite CDs, including discs loaded with MP3 and WMA files. The front-panel auxiliary input accommodates most other audio sources, while an SDHC card slot behind the face gives you one more option for bringing your music along.
The Toronto includes a powerful amp that delivers 22 watts per channel to your speakers, complemented by a 3-band equalizer that'll shape the sound to match your car and your style. A full set of preamp outputs with subwoofer level controls make it easier to expand and control your system.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
Note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver or its optional iPod adapter.
- CD receiver with AM/FM tuner
- built-in amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RWs, including discs loaded with MP3 and WMA files
- built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad control (see Details tab for device compatibility)
- detachable face
- remote control
- 3-band equalizer with 4 presets
- low-pass filters
- subwoofer level control
- inputs: front panel auxiliary input, front and rear USB inputs, SDHC card slot
- outputs: 5-channel preamp outputs (2-volt front, rear, mono subwoofer)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # BPTRN420BT
What's in the box:
- CD receiver (10A fuse installed)
- Face (inside face-case)
- Trim-ring (attached)
- Sleeve (installed)
- Power/ground harness
- Speaker harness
- Remote/Mute harness harness
- Remote (CR2025 battery installed)
- Operating/Installation Instructions
Blaupunkt Toronto 420 BT reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Blaupunkt Toronto 420 BT
Features & specs
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||USB, SD memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||N/A|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||Red/Blue|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA|
Bluetooth Technology: The Blaupunkt Toronto 420 BT is equipped with built-in Bluetooth (2.0+EDR) allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.5 (Hands Free Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.2 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.3 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile)
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Toronto 420 BT.
Pairing: Before using the unit's Bluetooth functions, you must pair your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone or audio device to the Blaupunkt CD receiver. You can pair up to 5 Bluetooth-enabled devices, but only one can be used at a time.
Hands-Free Communication (w/ Integrated Mic): The Blaupunkt Toronto 420 BT allows for wireless communication between the head unit and your Bluetooth-enabled iPhone, Android smartphone, or other Bluetooth-enabled mobile phone. You'll be able to answer incoming calls, as well as dial outgoing calls.
- Answer/End Incoming Call: When there is an incoming call, the current audio source is muted and a ring tone is played via the loudspeakers of the car sound system. The head unit's display will indicate "INCOMING CALL" and the phone number of the caller. If the phone number is one of your phone book contacts, then the unit will also display the caller's name. "PRIVATE NUMBER" is displayed when there is no caller information transmitted. You can answer the incoming call from the head unit's front-panel controls. You'll be able to speak into the head unit's integrated mic on the front-panel (or optional external mic) during your phone conversation, while the other party is heard through your vehicle's speakers.
- Dialing Outgoing Call: You can manually enter a phone number, up to 20 digits, using the unit's front-panel controls. The head unit also allows you to access your Bluetooth-enabled phone's phone book contacts (up to 960 entries) for easy access. You can even choose to store five phone numbers as presets for speedier dialing. In addition, you can speak a contact's name into the integrated mic for voice dialing. You can also quickly call the last number dialed.
Note: An optional microphone (023TRN420M, sold separately) is available for improved audio quality versus the integrated mic, so you can be heard easier over noisy traffic and road noise.
Wireless Audio Streaming: The Blaupunkt Toronto 420 BT allows you to wirelessly play back stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, or other Bluetooth-enabled devices using a Bluetooth A2DP/AVRCP connection. You can control basic playback functions of your music on your Bluetooth-enabled device from the Toronto 420BT's front-panel. Playback functions include Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track.
Note: This unit does not display song/artist information from Bluetooth audio devices, instead it will display "BT STREAM".
Disc Compatibility: The Blaupunkt Toronto 420 BT features a single disc player that will playback CD-Audio, CD-Text, and finalized CD-R/CD-RW audio discs. The unit supports playback of MP3/WMA music files loaded onto CD-R/RW discs.
SD Card Slot: The Toronto 420BT features an SD-card slot located behind its detachable front-panel. The The SD-card slot supports SD and SDHC memory cards with MP3/WMA music files. The unit's face-plate must be detached to insert or eject an SD/SDHC memory card.
Dual USB Ports: The Toronto 420 BT features a front-panel and rear-panel USB (type-A) port; the rear-panel USB port is attached to the chassis by a 6" pigtail. The USB ports enable connection and control of a portable USB mass-storage class (MSC) device; such as select Android smartphones (Froyo/Gingerbread only), portable digital audio players, or USB thumbdrives. The unit supports playback & control of MP3/WMA music files loaded onto a compatible USB MSC device. USB portable devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the CD receiver's USB port (max. 0.5A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
MP3/WMA Playback: The Blaupunkt CD receiver supports the following types of MP3 and WMA music files recorded onto CD-R/RW disc or loaded onto a USB mass storage class device.
|Media Type||CD-R/RW||SD/SDHC Card||USB Storage Device|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2||FAT 16/32|
|Playable File Types|| MP3:
bit rate of 32-320 kbps |
WMA: bit rate of 32-192 kbps
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||500 folders/30,000 files|
|Tags||ID3 tag (version 1/2), WMA tag|
Folder/File Select: This function allows you to select a folder containing MP3/WMA files and start playing from the first track in the folder. Or, you can enter a file name (up to 16 characters) to go directly to a MP3/WMA music file on a disc, USB, or SD card.
Playback Functions: The Toronto 420 BT provides Repeat, Random, & Scan playback functions.
- Scan Play: This function allows you to locate and play the first 4/8/12/16/60 seconds of all the tracks recorded on a CD; or the first 4/8/12/16/60 seconds of the first track of all the folders on a MP3/WMA disc, SD-card or USB device.
- Repeat Play: This function allows you to play the current track on a disc, SD-card, or USB device repeatedly or play a file currently being played in a MP3/WMA folder on a disc/SD/USB repeatedly.
- Random Play: This function allows you to play all tracks recorded on a disc/SD/USB or particular folder of a Disc/SD/USB in a random order.
Off Insert/Eject + Auto Reload: A CD disc can be inserted or ejected with the power off. When a disc is inserted with the power off, the unit will automatically power up and begin playback. If the ejected disc is not removed within 10 seconds, the disc is automatically inserted again into the loading slot to protect it from dust.
Mounting: For proper CD playback you must install the unit within 30° of horizontal.
iPod/iPhone Direct Connection: The Blaupunkt Toronto 420 BT's front-panel or reaer-panel USB port can be used to connect your iPod/iPhone to the head unit, via the dock connector-to-USB cable which comes with your iPod/iPhone. The Toronto 420 BT supports audio playback, music navigation, information display, and charging of your compatible iPod/iPhone.
- Music Playback: The Blaupunkt head unit supports audio playback of stored music and music apps on your iPod or iPhone. The USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's stored music to be loaded instantly to the head unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 1-bit D/A converter.
- iPod Control: You can use the head unit's front-panel controls to search your iPod/iPhone's stored music library by Artist, Album, Playlist, or Genre. Many iPod/iPhone device's clickwheel or touchscreen will be locked during connection (Apple devices w/ iOS 6.0+ will stay unlocked).
- Song/Artist Display: The head unit will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music file information; including Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song title, Artist name, and Album title.
- Battery Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 0.5A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position (if your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it).
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Blaupunkt Toronto 420 BT is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 12/3/2013):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Artist/Song Text||Track Info||Phone||Audio|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Front-Panel Auxiliary Input: A front-panel stereo minijack is provided to allow the connection of almost any portable audio source with a 3.5mm headphone output (great for those non-Apple/Android devices. Simply connect your portable digital music player to the unit's front-panel auxiliary input, and you can listen to the audio from the portable player through the speakers in your mobile audio system.
AM/FM Tuner: The Blaupunkt Toronto 420 BT is equipped with a built-in AM/FM tuner offering manual, seek/scan, & preset tuning.
- Preset Tuning: The built-in tuner provides 3 FM banks and 2 AM banks. You can store 5 radio stations in each bank, giving you 15 FM and 10 AM preset stations. Stations can be preset manually or automatically.
- Scanning Station: The Scan function will play the first 4/8/12/16/60 seconds of each station, until you find a station you like.
- RDS: The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, and album when listening to compatible AM/FM stations.
- US/European Tuning: You can set the built-in AM/FM tuner between US standard and European tuning spacing. The head unit is set to European tuning out of the box.
22 Watt x 4 Channel Amp: The Blaupunkt Toronto 420 BT is equipped with a 22 watt RMS x 4 channel amplifier (50 watts Peak x 4 channels).
5ch/2V Preamp Outputs + Sub Control: The Blaupunkt Toronto 420 BT features a pair of fading front- and rear-channel preamp outputs, as well as a mono-subwoofer preamp output (all rated at 2V). When the subwoofer preamp output is used, you are able to adjust its low pass crossover (80/120/160Hz) and gain level (0-7)
3-Band EQ w/ Presets: The head unit offer basic bass and treble control. There are also 4 sound presets (Classic, Pop, Rock, Off/Flat) that allow you to easily recall the best preset EQ curve for different types of music. For further adjustment, the in-dash CD receiver features a built-in 3-Band EQ.
|Treble||10, 12.5, 15, 17.5 kHz||-7 to +7 dB||N/A|
|Midrange||0.5, 1.0, 1.5, 2.5 kHz||-7 to +7 dB||0.5, 0.75, 1.0, 1.25|
|Bass||80, 100, 200 Hz||-7 to +7 dB||1.0, 1.25, 1.5, 2.0|
Loudness + X-Bass: This function enhances low frequencies (bass) at lower volumes. The X-Bass function enhances the receiver's bass output around a certain frequency (60/80/100Hz) at lower volumes. The gain of the X-Bass function can be adjusted from 0 to +3.
Turn-On Volume Level: You can set the head unit to turn-on to the last volume level adjustment when turned off, or turn-on to a pre-defined volume level (0-50) every time you power up the radio.
Key Beep: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
Detachable Face Security: This unit features detachable face security (hard plastic face-plate included). An optional soft face case (142DFC1X, sold separately) can be purchased for this unit.
Single-Line Display: The single-line, 15-digit LCD (with black background and white characters) on the Toronto 420 BT allows numbers and characters to be displayed clearly in almost any lighting condition.
Illumination Dimmer: The CD receiver's display automatically dims to a preset brightness when the vehicle's headlights are turned on. You can also manually adjust the brightness level. The wiring harness includes an orange lead that should be connected to the vehicle's parking light circuit in order for the dimmer feature to operate.
12/24-Hour Clock: The in-dash head unit offers a switchable 12- or 24-hour clock display. You can set the unit's clock to display even when the head unit is turned off (key still in accessory position) or have it turn off with the head unit.
Demo Mode: This unit features a Demo mode which can be turned On or Off within the menu.
IR Remote: The Toronto 420 BT comes supplied with an 18-button IR remote control for wireless operation of the CD receiver. The remote operates off of a single CR2025 Lithium cell 3V battery (already installed).
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input wire on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with one of these SWC adapters (541SWIRC/794ADSMSW, sold separately). Please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to see if your vehicle is compatible.
14 questions already asked