Over-ear bamboo headphones
Our take on the Denon AH-D9200 by Crutchfield's Jeff Miller
Each set of Denon's premium AH-D9200 is built by hand in Denon's Shirakawa Audio Works facility.
Top-shelf headphones, hand-crafted by audio experts
Denon made their name in home theater and A/V receivers, but they've been crushing it with headphones the last few years. And their new flagship AH-D9200 headphones are a shining example of how seriously they take personal audio. These premium over-ears are meticulously assembled by hand at the company's Shirakawa facility in Japan — notice the striking bamboo earcups, strong aluminum frame, and plush leather earpads.
I've got a sample pair on the way, so I'll have first-hand listening impressions soon. But I've always been a big fan of the company's "FreeEdge" headphone drivers. They're tuned to deliver neutral, yet musical sound. And Denon has customized the AH-D9200's drivers specifically to perform their best within the bamboo earcups.
Beautifully sculpted and finished earcups
Take a look at the images above that show the Denon crew at work. Each bamboo wood earcup is sculpted and sanded, then coated with a lacquer finish. You can see they take great care and pay close attention to detail.
And the housings don't just look and feel deluxe. Rather, they also serve a musical purpose. Bamboo helps give the sound a clean, organic feel. It is a natural sound-dampening material that helps keep external noise from leaking in — and your music from escaping out.
- closed-back design to block out external noise
- designed and hand-crafted in Denon's Shirakawa Audio Works facility in Japan
- sustainable bamboo earcup housings for natural sonic warmth
- rich tonal qualities with strong sound absorption
- each housing sculpted, buffered, and lacquered by hand
- lightweight aluminum alloy earcup sliders and flexible headband for durability
- stitched leather earpads and soft, quilted leather headband padding
- 3D-shaped memory foam for ergonomic fit
- a separate headphone amplifier is required to properly power these headphones for optimum sound quality
Denon's "FreeEdge" drivers:
- sturdy baffle and suspension system helps lower resonance
- tuned to a neutral, well-rounded presentation
- 50mm lightweight, rigid diaphragms
- can start and stop quickly within super-powerful magnetic field
- smooth presentation with rich, detailed highs
- powerful neodymium magnet array for wide-range frequency response
- magnetic flux density of 1 tesla
Accessories and General Info:
- two detachable cables (connect to headphones with dual 3.5mm mini plugs):
- 9.84-ft. cable terminated with a silver-plated 1/4" headphone plug
- 4.3-ft. cable terminated with 3.5mm mini plug
- designed for use with free Denon Audio app with custom EQ and streaming radio for Apple and Android devices
- frequency response: 5-56,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 105 dB
- impedance: 24 ohms
- weight: 13.23 ounces
- warranty: 2 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Over-ear headphones
- 10' Audio cable (dual 3.5mm plugs on one end and 1/4" plug on other end)
- 58" Audio cable (dual 3.5mm plugs on one end and single 3.5mm plug on other end)
- 3.5mm-to-1/4" Plug adapter (installed on cable)
- Cleaning Cloth
- Owner's Manual
- "Handcrafted in Japan" brochure
Why Shop With Us?10 Reasons.
Features and Specs
|Earcup Width x Height||3.953" x 3.953"|
|Mic For Taking Calls||No|
|Frequency Response||5-56k Hz|
|Cord Length||58" + 120"|
|1/4-inch Adapter Included||Yes|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Overview: The AH-D9200 is Denon's new flagship over-ear headphones. These premium headphones are handcrafted in Japan, using superior-quality materials and high-end audio components to deliver an exceptional listening experience. The AH-D9200 comes with two cables, one for home use and the other for portable devices, and a soft cleaning cloth to keep them looking new.
Natural Bamboo Ear Cups: The headphones feature natural Japanese Moso Bamboo wood for its unique look and vibration dampening properties. Because bamboo has a distinct looking grain, no two pairs of AH-D9200 headphones are alike. The wood housing greatly dampens unwanted resonances, offering a rich, warm sound.
Free-Edge Drivers: The AH-D9200 headphones feature Denon's unique Free-Edge 50mm drivers. These drivers are made of rigid, low mass materials, and are mounted on vibration-reducing resin baffles. The drivers move back and forth in response to the music signal without flexing or distorting, giving you the most accurate sound possible. Strong 1 Tesla neodymium magnets drive the diaphragms with lower distortion while taking up very little space in the housing.
Construction: The AH-D9200s feature ergonomically curved lightweight diecast aluminum hangers that allow the ear cups to swivel and tilt for maximum comfort. The stitched genuine leather headband and 3D-shaped memory foam ear pads provide gentle side pressure so you can listen comfortably for hours without fatigue. The headband is adjustable to accommodate varying head sizes, using positive ball-bearing click-stops and numbered markings to help you remember your personal setting.
Cables: The headphones include two interchangeable, fabric-covered high-grade audio cables: a 10' cable with a silver-coated 1/4" plug for your home audio system, and a 4.5' cable with a 3.5mm plug for your smartphone, tablet, or premium digital audio player. A 3.5mm-to-1/4" plug adapter is included so you can use the shorter cable with your home audio components. Both cables use the high conductivity properties of OFC (oxygen-free copper) and silver for pure signal transfer.
- Type: Dynamic
- Driver Size: 50mm
- Input Impedance: 24Ω
- Sensitivity: 105dB/mW
- Maximum Input: 1800mW
- Frequency Response: 5Hz - 56kHz
- Earcup Dimensions: Diameter 3.953" Depth 2.164"
- Weight: 13.1 ounces (without cable)
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.