About the Denon AH-D9200
Top-shelf headphones, hand-crafted by audio experts
Each set of Denon's premium AH-D9200 is built by hand in Denon's Shirakawa Audio Works facility.
Top-shelf headphones, hand-crafted by audio experts
Denon made their name in home theater and A/V receivers, but they've been crushing it with headphones the last few years. I auditioned their flagship AH-D9200 headphones, and right out of the box you can tell how seriously this company takes personal audio. These premium over-ears are meticulously assembled by hand at the company's Shirakawa facility in Japan — notice the striking bamboo earcups, strong aluminum frame, and plush leather earpads.
Denon has customized their famous "FreeEdge" headphone drivers, specifically to perform their best within the bamboo earcups. The AH-D9200s have the most spacious presentation I've heard from a pair of Denon headphones. They deliver a resolving sound with deep, controlled sub-bass.
Beautifully sculpted and finished earcups
Take a look at the images above that show the Denon crew at work. Each bamboo wood earcup is sculpted and sanded, then coated with a lacquer finish. Just holding them in my hands, I could sense the level of care and close attention to detail involved here.
And the housings don't just look and feel deluxe. Rather, they also serve a musical purpose. Bamboo helps give the sound a clean, organic feel. It is a natural sound-dampening material that helps keep external noise from leaking in — and your music from escaping out.
More from my hands-on experience
These headphones are made from high-grade materials and feel solid and sturdy. They are oversized and can feel heavier on the head than most headphones, but the weight was well-distributed. And the shape of the earpads made them easy for me to wear. Extra padding is distributed behind the ears to help cushion the most sensitive pressure points.
Sometimes headphones with a large soundstage are so laid-back that they lose something in the dynamics. That didn't happen with the Denon AH-D9200 'phones. I drove them with a high-powered headphone amp, so that I could get the best performance from them. Softer sounds were appropriately subtle, and louder, dramatic sounds came through vividly and textured.
Detailed, cohesive sound across a wide frequency-range
One album that really shows off the AH-D9200's sonic strengths is Summerwind — a recorded jazz duet with Lars Danilesson on upright bass and Paolo Fresu on trumpet. I was tipped off to this great album by a review in Stereophile magazine. Each song is a nicely contained 3-4 minutes with moments that simultaneously test the high and low limits of the frequency range, and everything in between.
The two brilliant musicians teeter between sweet, relaxing melody and loose, frantic riffing. The AH-D9200 handled all of these extremes effortlessly. If one instrument or the other were more prominent or reserved, I don't think I could've appreciated the simpatico back-and-forth as much as I did.
The recording also has a welcome resonance from the room that doesn't distract or diminish. Instead it provides an intimate sense of place. This was reinforced by the closed-back design of these headphones. I could shut my eyes and transport myself away from my desk, right into the middle of the hypnotic performance.
- closed-back design to block out external noise
- designed and hand-crafted in Denon's Shirakawa Audio Works facility in Japan
- sustainable bamboo earcup housings for natural sonic warmth
- rich tonal qualities with strong sound absorption
- each housing sculpted, buffered, and lacquered by hand
- lightweight aluminum alloy earcup sliders and flexible headband for durability
- stitched leather earpads and soft, quilted leather headband padding
- 3D-shaped memory foam for ergonomic fit
- a separate headphone amplifier is required to properly power these headphones for optimum sound quality
Denon's "FreeEdge" drivers:
- sturdy baffle and suspension system helps lower resonance
- tuned to a neutral, well-rounded presentation
- 50mm lightweight, rigid diaphragms
- can start and stop quickly within super-powerful magnetic field
- smooth presentation with rich, detailed highs
- powerful neodymium magnet array for wide-range frequency response
- magnetic flux density of 1 tesla
Accessories and General Info:
- two detachable cables (connect to headphones with dual 3.5mm mini plugs):
- 9.84-ft. cable terminated with a silver-plated 1/4" headphone plug
- 4.3-ft. cable terminated with 3.5mm mini plug
- designed for use with free Denon Audio app with custom EQ and streaming radio for Apple and Android devices
- frequency response: 5-56,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 105 dB
- impedance: 24 ohms
- weight: 13.23 ounces
- warranty: 2 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # AHD9200
- Large earcups
- Well padded
- Good for focused listening
What's in the box:
- Over-ear headphones
- 10' Audio cable (dual 3.5mm plugs on one end and 1/4" plug on other end)
- 58" Audio cable (dual 3.5mm plugs on one end and single 3.5mm plug on other end)
- 3.5mm-to-1/4" Plug adapter (installed on cable)
- Cleaning Cloth
- Owner's Manual
- "Handcrafted in Japan" brochure
Denon AH-D9200 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Denon AH-D9200
Features & specs
|Earcup Width x Height||3.953" x 3.953"|
|Mic For Taking Calls||No|
|Voice Assistant Access|
|Frequency Response||5-56k Hz|
|Cord Length||58" + 120"|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Overview: The AH-D9200 is Denon's new flagship over-ear headphones. These premium headphones are handcrafted in Japan, using superior-quality materials and high-end audio components to deliver an exceptional listening experience. The AH-D9200 comes with two cables, one for home use and the other for portable devices, and a soft cleaning cloth to keep them looking new.
Natural Bamboo Ear Cups: The headphones feature natural Japanese Moso Bamboo wood for its unique look and vibration dampening properties. Because bamboo has a distinct looking grain, no two pairs of AH-D9200 headphones are alike. The wood housing greatly dampens unwanted resonances, offering a rich, warm sound.
Free-Edge Drivers: The AH-D9200 headphones feature Denon's unique Free-Edge 50mm drivers. These drivers are made of rigid, low mass materials, and are mounted on vibration-reducing resin baffles. The drivers move back and forth in response to the music signal without flexing or distorting, giving you the most accurate sound possible. Strong 1 Tesla neodymium magnets drive the diaphragms with lower distortion while taking up very little space in the housing.
Construction: The AH-D9200s feature ergonomically curved lightweight diecast aluminum hangers that allow the ear cups to swivel and tilt for maximum comfort. The stitched genuine leather headband and 3D-shaped memory foam ear pads provide gentle side pressure so you can listen comfortably for hours without fatigue. The headband is adjustable to accommodate varying head sizes, using positive ball-bearing click-stops and numbered markings to help you remember your personal setting.
Cables: The headphones include two interchangeable, fabric-covered high-grade audio cables: a 10' cable with a silver-coated 1/4" plug for your home audio system, and a 4.5' cable with a 3.5mm plug for your smartphone, tablet, or premium digital audio player. A 3.5mm-to-1/4" plug adapter is included so you can use the shorter cable with your home audio components. Both cables use the high conductivity properties of OFC (oxygen-free copper) and silver for pure signal transfer.
- Type: Dynamic
- Driver Size: 50mm
- Input Impedance: 24Ω
- Sensitivity: 105dB/mW
- Maximum Input: 1800mW
- Frequency Response: 5Hz - 56kHz
- Earcup Dimensions: Diameter 3.953" Depth 2.164"
- Weight: 13.1 ounces (without cable)