About the Denon AVR-1706
The AVR-1706 delivers dynamic, room-filling surround sound from all your movies, TV shows, music, and video games. It combines the high-current amplification for seven speakers, advanced digital processing, a wealth of convenience features, and Denon's famously rugged construction. The result is a powerful and versatile receiver that will serve as the heart of a great home theater system.
The convenient Auto Setup function automatically fine-tunes your system's performance for optimal sound with your specific speakers and room. Just plug in the included microphone and place it in your favorite listening seat the '1706 takes care of the rest, adjusting the level and delay settings for every speaker in your home theater.
Component video conversion streamlines TV hookup and switching between sources. All video signals can be passed from the '1706 to your TV via a single component video connection. That means you can switch from your cable box to your DVD player with the press of a single button on this receiver's remote no more fumbling through input menus on your TV. Component video conversion also preserves the highest possible picture quality for each source.
Dual-room/dual-source capability lets you enjoy home theater in your main room while a housemate listens to music in another room the '1706 can even power stereo speakers in your second room. For easy control of every component in your system, even in low lighting, you get a multibrand remote with glow-in-the-dark buttons.
- 75 watts x 7 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD
- Dolby® Digital EX, DTS-ES®, Pro Logic® IIx, DTS Neo:6, and DTS 96/24 processing
- high-current, low-impedance amplifier design
- 192kHz/24-bit Analog Devices DACs
- dual-room/dual-source output (speaker-level stereo audio output for 2nd room; this mode allows 5.1 home theater in main room)
- component video conversion
- component video switching: 3 in, 1 out (100MHz bandwidth)
- digital inputs: 2 optical, 2 coaxial
- 5.1-channel input for a Super Audio CD (SACD) or DVD-Audio player
- 3 audio, 4 audio/video (including 1 front-panel and 3 S-video) inputs
- no phono input
- multibrand remote with glow-in-the-dark keys
- 56 AM/FM presets
- 2 sets of main speaker outputs
- 17-1/8"W x 5-15/16"H x 17-1/8"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # AVR-1706
What's in the box:
- Black 7.1-channel AM/FM/Dolby Digital/DTS receiver
- RC-1000 wireless remote control
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 1 DM-S205 Omnidirectional microphone with 19.875' cable and mono mini-jack connector
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna
- Operating Instructions (English/French)
- Warranty sheet
- Denon Service Network sheet
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Denon AVR-1706
Features & specs
Input and Output Notes
Digital Signal Processing (DSP): The Denon AVR-1706 is equipped with a new high-resolution Analog Devices Hammerhead 32-bit floating DSP processor. All elements of the Surround Processor are optimized to the highest standards by the use of selected high performance and discrete components, particularly the A/D and D/A converters and the sophisticated DSP surround decoder.
Surround Modes: This receiver incorporates a wide variety of surround modes to bring you maximum enjoyment from your audio and video software. The surround modes include:
- Dolby Digital Surround EX
- Dolby Digital
- Dolby Pro Logic II
- Dolby Pro Logic
- Dolby Pro Logic IIx
- Game (2-channel sources only)
- DTS Digital Surround
- DTS-ES Extended Surround
- DTS-ES Discrete 6.1
- DTS-ES Matrix 6.1
- DTS Neo:6 Surround
- Neo:6 Cinema
- Neo:6 Music
- DTS 96/24
- Denon Original Surround Modes
- Rock Arena
- Jazz Club
- Mono Movie
- Video game
- 5CH/7CH Stereo
Personal Memory Plus: The receiver has a personal memorization function that automatically memorizes the surround modes and input modes selected for the different input sources. When the input source is switched, the modes set for that source last time it was used are automatically recalled. The surround parameters, tone control settings, and playback level balance for the different output channels are memorized for each surround mode.
Audio Delay Setting: When watching a DVD or other video source, the picture on the monitor may seem delayed with respect to the sound, in this case the audio delay can be adjusted to synchronize with the video.
Auto Setup: The receiver is equipped with an Auto Setup and Room Equalization function, to achieve the most ideal sound field for your room. With the supplied DM-S205 microphone placed at the listening position, the receiver automatically and accurately analyzes, adjusts and sets the speaker configurations of your system. It will set the following parameters:
- The speaker connection, polarity, and bass reproduction
- The delay time from each speaker corresponding to the listening position
- Sets the volume level for each speaker
Channel Level Select: From the remote, you can easily change the levels of the individual channels during playback of any source. There is a channel input button on the remote that you need to press multiple times to source through the individual channels. You then use the left and right arrow keys to control the volume level.
Cinema EQ: The Cinema EQ function gently decreases the level of the extreme high frequencies, compensating for the overly bright sounding motion picture soundtracks. You can select this function when the front speakers sound too bright. This function only works in the Dolby Pro Logic IIx, Dolby Digital, DTS Surround, and DTS Neo:6 modes.
D.Comp (Dynamic Range Compression): For movies that have a tremendous dynamic range (soft passages compared the loud passages), this mode allows you to hear all of the sounds in the soundtrack, but reducing the dynamic range. This feature only works in Dolby Digital or DTS mode.
Two-channel Music Modes: There are two 2-channel playback modes exclusively for music:
- Direct: audio signals bypass the tone control circuits, and are transmitted directly, resulting in good quality sound.
- Stereo: allows you to adjust the tone to achieve the desired sound while watching video images.
24-Bit, 192 kHz D/A Converters: The AVR-1706 uses highly accurate Analog Devices 24-bit, 192 kHz Digital-to-Analog converters on all 8 channels. The 192kHz sampling rate and 24-bit word length capabilities of the DACs allow you to play high-resolution recordings and hear the increased clarity, detail and dynamic range of those recordings.
Subwoofer Settings: When "Large" is set for the front speakers, and "Yes" is set for the subwoofer in the speaker setup, you can choose the following settings for the subwoofer channel:
- Subwoofer Mode: You can
select one of two modes:
- LFE Normal: subwoofer plays the LFE channel signals (during playback of Dolby Digital and DTS signals) and the low frequency signal range of the channels set to "Small" in the speaker setup. Low frequencies for channels set to "Large" are played from those channels only.
- LFE + Main: subwoofer simultaneously plays the low frequency signal range of the channels set to "Large" and the LFE channel signals. In this playback mode, the low frequency range expands more uniformly through the room.
- Crossover Frequency: You can adjust the cutoff frequency of the subwoofer output from 40Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, 150Hz, 200Hz or 250Hz.
Dual Source/Dual Zone Capability: The AVR-1706 allows you to enjoy one source in your main listening room, while another source plays in a remote room. Zone 2 uses the two Surround Back speaker outputs for power in the second room. When you are using this feature, the main room is configured for 5.1-channel surround. When the Power Amp Assign function is active, the level of the Zone 2 speaker can be controlled with the Zone 2 volume buttons on the remote.
Video Up Conversion: The receiver's video transcoding technology converts composite and S-Video signals to component video signals to output to the monitor. This allows you to enjoy the highest picture quality from all video gear connected to the receiver. In addition, composite video signals are up converted to S-Video and S-Video signals are down converted to composite for connecting convenience.
HD Video Switching: The unit has three assignable component video inputs and a high-performance relay that is used to switch the signals. The switcher has an extended bandwidth range of up to 100 MHz, making it compatible with progressive DVD (480p) and HDTV formats (720p and 1080i).
RC-1000 Remote Control: The AVR-1706 comes with a remote control that can operate the receiver as well as other remote control capable Denon components. In addition, the remote is pre-programmed with control signals for other brands of products, including DVD players, DVD recorder, VCRs, TVs, cable boxes, DBS, CD players, CD recorders, MiniDisc players/recorders, cassette decks, and Laserdisc players.
Assignable Digital Inputs: The AVR-1706 features 2 optical digital (Toslink) inputs and 2 coaxial digital inputs. Each input can be assigned to any of the different input sources except Tuner and V.Aux (front panel).
5.1 Multi-Channel External Input: The AVR-1706 is equipped with a 5.1-channel input to accommodate present and future multi-channel formats. These inputs are rated from 10Hz to 100kHz for high resolution audio sources such as SACD or DVD-Audio.
Speaker Terminals: All of the receiver's speaker terminals are binding posts. They are not 5-way binding posts because a plastic collar prevents their use with spade lugs.
Room-to-Room Remote Jacks: The receiver has a mini-jack input for use with an optional Denon RC-616 IR re-transmitter. The adjacent room-to-room output is for future use.
Front Panel (V.Aux) Inputs: This unit features stereo audio and composite video on the front panel for conveniently connecting a game console or camcorder.
Headphone Jack: The receiver has a standard 1/4" headphone jack on the front panel for private listening. When headphones are plugged in, the receiver's speaker and preamp outputs are automatically turned off.
The Denon AVR-1706 replaces these items
- 75 watts x 6 full-bandwidth rated
- Dolby Digital EX, DTS-ES and Dolby Pro Logic IIx processing
- multibrand remote