About the Denon AVR-4310CI
Wide-ranging entertainment choices, powerful Denon sound
Wide-ranging entertainment choices, powerful Denon sound
Immerse yourself in audiophile-quality home theater sound with the Denon AVR-4310CI. Its seven high-current channels of amplification and cutting-edge surround sound processing deliver enveloping audio for all your movies, music, TV shows, and video games. The '4310CI also treats you to some of the most advanced video processing available for top-notch picture quality from all your video sources. Plus you get a wide array of entertainment options, including PC networking, HD Radio, and iPod® integration.
Precision auto setup tailors sound to your room
For the most accurate home theater sound possible in your room, Denon equipped this receiver with Audyssey MultEQ®, a sophisticated automatic speaker calibration system that helps you get the most accurate home theater sound possible. Watch a video on how Audyssey MultiEQ improves sound in your room.
The '4310CI uses the included microphone to analyze sound from up to six different listening positions, then automatically adjusts individual level, equalization, and delay settings for each of your speakers. You'll hear precise, uniform sound across a wide listening area instead of just a single "sweet spot," so everyone in the room can enjoy optimized home theater sound.
Add new dimensions to your surround sound experience
This multi-channel powerhouse gives you the latest surround sound decoding to take full advantage of the high-resolution audio soundtracks found on many Blu-ray players and discs. The '4310CI also adds Dolby's newest surround technology Dolby® Pro Logic® IIz. This cool feature lets you add an optional pair of front "height" speakers for a larger soundstage with an expanded vertical dimension. And this receiver is one of the first to offer Audyssey DSX (Dynamic Surround Expansion). Like Dolby Pro Logic IIz, DSX processing allows you to add a pair of front height speakers in place of back surrounds. Or, you can choose to connect optional front "wide" speakers instead, creating a wider soundstage for greater home theater impact and realism.
Advanced video processing and control
Six HDMI inputs and two HDMI outputs give you plenty of connectivity for all your gear, including today's sophisticated high-def video components. The receiver's high-performance Anchor Bay VRS video processor delivers superior video scaling and deinterlacing it can upconvert all your video sources to resolutions as high as 1080p. You'll see improved detail and smoother playback from all your video components. Six separate picture adjustments, including noise reduction, color saturation level, and brightness, let you fine-tune the look of each of your video input sources, then store those settings in the receiver's memory. You break free of the "one-size-fits-all" picture setting limitation of most receivers, while still enjoying the convenience of a single-cable connection to your TV.
Easy access to PC music, Internet radio, and more
The '4310CI gives you plenty of digital music options, too. Connect it to a wired PC network to access music files and JPEG photos stored on your computer. View track titles on your TV and select the tunes you want to hear using the receiver's remote. You can also enjoy Internet Radio stations over your broadband connection. A built-in HD Radio tuner lets you listen to the free, digital over-the-air programming that many AM and FM stations now broadcast. And the '4310CI is SIRIUS and XM Radio Ready. Just add an optional home tuner to receive your favorite satellite radio channels.
More fun with your portable music collection
Plug your iPod® directly into the '4310CI's handy front-panel USB input to enjoy the music stored on your player. The USB inputs also allow you connect a wide range of portable MP3 players, a USB flash memory drive, or hard disk drive loaded with your favorite tunes. When you add Denon's optional control dock, your iPod becomes a fully integrated component in your A/V system. You can view its menu on your TV and select songs, photos, or videos using the receiver's remote. Switch on Denon's Compressed Audio Restorer mode to hear your MP3 collection at its best.
Power and Processing:
- 130 watts x 7 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.05% THD
- Dolby® TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby® Digital Plus, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, Dolby® Digital EX, DTS-ES, Pro Logic® IIx, Pro Logic® IIz and DTS Neo:6 decoding
- Audyssey Laboratories' MultEQ XT eight-point auto setup and room calibration system (microphone included)
- Audyssey DSX processing for enhanced surround sound height and width effects using additional front speakers
Digital Music Options:
- built-in HD Radio tuner with multi-casting reception
- SIRIUS satellite radio capable (requires SIRIUS subscription and optional SiriusConnect home tuner kit)
- XM Satellite Radio Ready with decoding for XM's HD Surround channels (requires XM subscription and optional XM tuner kit)
- iPod® integration:
- USB direct connection (audio playback only)
- optional Denon ASD-11R control dock for audio and video playback
- audio and photo streaming on a wired PC network, plus Internet radio (broadband connection required)
Audio Performance Features:
- Compressed Audio Restorer for better sound with compressed music sources
- Pure Direct modes switch off all unused circuitry for the cleanest possible sound
- HDCD decoding
- 16 separate PCM1791A 192kHz/24-bit digital-to-analog converters
- 1080p-compatible HDMI switching: 6 in, 2 out (including 1 front-panel input)
- analog-to-HDMI video upconversion (up to 1080p/24/60 output via HDMI) with Anchor Bay Technologies VRS advanced video processing and scaling
- HDMI version 1.3a with support for Deep Color, x.v.Color, lip-sync, 1080/24p video, 7.1 uncompressed 24/96 audio, DVD-Audio, SACD, and HDMI-CEC with compatible video sources and TVs
- component video switching: 3 in, 1 out
- component video conversion (composite to S-video, or composite and S-video to component)
- three-room/three-source output:
- powered and line-level stereo audio output for 2nd room (using powered 2nd or 3rd room stereo output allows 5.1 home theater in main room)
- composite video output for 2nd room
- line-level or powered stereo audio output for 3rd room
- conversion of optical or coaxial digital signals to analog audio output for 2nd and 3rd rooms (PCM signals only)
- digital audio inputs: 3 optical (including 1 front-panel), 3 coaxial
- digital audio outputs: 2 optical
- 7 audio/video inputs, including:
- 1 front-panel input with composite and S-video
- 6 rear-panel inputs with composite and S-video
- 2 audio-only inputs (including phono)
- 7.1-channel analog audio preamp input
- 7.1-channel analog audio preamp output
- front and rear USB ports for audio playback from USB flash drives, hard disk drives, and portable USB music players (including iPod)
- Ethernet port for music and JPEG streaming from a wired PC network, and control via a PC
- Denon Link jack (4th edition)
- RS-232C port for automated control systems
- detachable power cord
- 2 switched AC outlets
- 1 set of main speaker outputs
- back surround speaker channels re-assignable for bi-amping front left and right speakers
- on-screen GUI (Graphical User Interface) superimposed on HDMI output (up to 1080p)
- learning/multibrand touchscreen electro-luminescent remote
- basic remote for second or third listening room (requires remote control extender system, not included)
- 17-1/8"W x 6-3/4"H x 16-15/16"D
- weight: 35 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # AVR4310CI
What's in the box:
- Black AM/FM/Dolby Digital/DTS receiver
- Audyssey DM-A409 setup microphone with attached 20' cord (has a mono mini-jack connector)
- RC-1116 Wireless remote control with LCD
- RC-1121 Secondary Wireless remote control
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 6' AC power cord
- AM analog loop antenna
- FM wire antenna
- Owner's Manual
- Getting Started Connections
- Warranty information
- Denon service network sheet
- SIRIUS Satellite Radio brochure
- XM Satellite Radio brochure
- "Twonky Vision Packet Video" sheet
Denon AVR-4310CI reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Denon AVR-4310CI
Features & specs
7-Channel Equal Power Amplifier: The Denon AVR-4310CI features a 7-channel equal power, discrete amplifier. Each channel is rated at 130 watts RMS. There are seven amplifier channels built into the receiver. These channels are typically used for 7.1 channel surround in the main room, but the AV receiver offer various amplifier configurations to accommodate your home theater setup.
- 7.1ch Surround: The AVR-4310CI is designed to be used as a 7.1ch surround sound receiver with front left/right, center-channel, surround left/right, and surround back left/right channels along with a preamp subwoofer output.
- Dual Surround Speaker Mode: The AVR-4310CI provides the ability to connect two different sets of surround speakers, and place them in the appropriate locations in your home theater room, so that you can enjoy both movie soundtracks and music listening, with optimum results and no compromise. If you play one pair of surround speakers at a time (Surround A or B), the minimum impedance of the connected speakers is 6 ohms. If you play both pairs of speakers simultaneously (Surround A + B), the minimum impedance of the connected speakers is 8 ohms.
- Front Height: To enjoy Dolby Pro Logic IIz, you can reassign the power amp from the two surround back channels to the two front high channels for better front effects.
- Front Wide: You can assign the power amp from the two surround back channels to create a pair of additional front speakers spaced wider apart to create a more spacious front effect when using Audyssey DSX processing.
- Bi-Amp/Bi-Wiring: You can also configure the amplifier for front bi-amp operation to achieve a higher-quality 2-channel sound by connecting the receiver's front and surround back channels to your main front speakers. Your front speakers can also be bi-wired using this amplifier if your speakers support this feature
- Multi-Zone/Multi-Source Operation: Denon's Multi-Zone/Multi-Source function lets you select different audio/video sources for listening and viewing in different locations of your home. The AVR-4310CI features a Main Zone (Zone 1), Audio/Video Zone (Zone 2), and Audio Only Zone (Zone 3). The Main Zone 1 contains 7.1-channel playback of your audio/video gear in your main entertainment room. The Audio/Video Zone 2 allows stereo audio and video playback of another AV source connected to the receiver in another room of your home via left/right RCA audio or speaker terminal output connections and composite video. Audio Only Zone 3 allows you to play a stereo audio source connected to the receiver in a 3rd room of your house via left/right RCA audio or speaker terminal output connections.
Note: Zone 2 and Zone 3 feature either a preamp-output or speaker terminal output so you can use this amp or a separate amp to power speakers in another room. When using the AVR-4310CI to power speakers in a second room of your home, the main zone is restricted to 5.1-channel at the same time. Also, when using the AVR-4310CI to power speakers in a second and third room of your home the second and third zone are restricted to mono operation and the main zone is limited to 5.1 channels at the same time. When using the receiver's preamp output terminals for the second and third room you need an additional amplifier in each room to power those speakers and the main Zone of the receiver remains 7.1-channel.
Minimum Signal Path Construction: The AVR-4310CI's circuit board layout and mechanical construction is designed to minimize audio and video signal paths in order to maximize video and sound quality:
- Direct Mechanical Ground: The receiver's heat sink and main transformer are located near feet to minimize mechanical vibration. Both the heat sink and main transformer are fixed to the bottom chassis of the receiver to reinforce Mechanical Ground. The transformer is supported by a separate transformer and plate and the receiver's center chassis is reinforced to add overall strength and durability to the unit.
- Separate Circuit Boards: The AVR-4310CI utilizes separate circuit board to isolate each signal to achieve the highest quality of audio and video. The receiver features separate digital, analog audio and analog video circuit boards which reduces interference and lowers noise distortion.
- Main Power Supply: A huge capacity main transformer provides separate power supplies for the receiver's Power Amp section, Digital block, Analog Audio block, Analog Video block, and HD radio block for maximum performance. The receiver also features an independent sub transformer ensuring excellent low frequency response.
24-Bit, 192 kHz D/A Converters: The AVR-4310CI uses highly accurate PCM-1791A Digital-to-Analog converters, two for each channel, for a total of 16. The 192kHz sampling and 24-bit word length capabilities of the DACs allows you to play high-resolution recordings and hear the increased clarity, detail and dynamic range of those recordings.
AL24 Processing Plus: Denon's AL24 Processing Plus technology dramatically improves information volume in the time axis region using high-speed signal detection and processing technology. In addition to expanding to expanding original 16-bit data to 24 bits, AL24 Processing Plus uses data interpolation along the time axis or upconverted sampling to achieve natural interpolation without losing the original data. A digital filter is used to further expand adaptability and perform optimum filtering calculations for ringing-free pulse response, pulsive music data and attack sounds. The result is reproduction of such spatial information as the delicate nuances in your music, the positions of the performers, and the breadth, height, and depth of the concert hall. AL24 Processing Plus is conducted for all channels and modes other than the DSD Direct mode.
DDSC HD-Digital (Dynamic Discrete Surround Circuit): The Denon AVR-4310CI is equipped with the latest technology in surround audio performance, DDSC HD-Digital, featuring dual Analog Devices Hammerhead 32-bit floating point DSP processors. All elements of the Surround Processor are optimized to the highest standards by the use of selected high performance and discrete components, particularly the A/D and D/A converters and the sophisticated DSP surround decoder.
HDCD Decoding: The AVR-4310CI automatically detects and decodes the digital bitstream from a CD that has been encoded through the special High Definition Compatible Digital (HDCD) process. HDCD discs use 20-bit encoding and other proprietary processing to provide the ultimate in CD listening.
Audyssey: This receiver is equipped with an Auto Setup and Room Equalization function, to achieve the most ideal sound field for your room. The AVR-4310's Audyssey MultiEQ XT function is designed to optimize the sound quality at each listening position in the room. The included DM-A409 microphone is used to measure test tones at each listening position. This measured data is then analyzed using a program to improve acoustic characteristics in the listening area. For best results at least 6 positions should be measured, including a main position. The main position is given more weight in the calculations. The Audyssey EQ offers the following settings.
- MultEQ XT: The MultiEQ XT function offers the following
- Audyssey: optimizes the crossover point, output level, delay time, and equalization of all speakers based on speaker frequency response, speaker location, and room acoustics
- Audyssey Byp. L/R: optimizes all speakers except front left and right
- Audyssey Flat: optimize frequency response of all speakers to flat
- Manual: adjusts the tonal quality for each speaker individually using the manual equalizer settings; adjust from -20 to +6 dB at 63 Hz, 125 Hz, 250 Hz, 500 Hz, 1 kHz, 2 khz, 4 kHz, 8 kHz, and 16 kHz
- Off: turns equalizer off
- Dynamic EQ: Audio engineers mix music and movie soundtracks at reference levels much louder than typical home listening levels. At lower volumes the human ear perceives sound differently; voices change, bass dissipates, and the surround effect becomes less enveloping. Dynamic EQ adjusts the frequency response curve based on volume to maintain consistent bass output, octave-to-octave balance, and surround impact, resulting in rich sound at any volume. You can set the Dynamic EQ to 0, 5, 10, or 15 dB.
- Dynamic Volume: Dynamic Volume addresses the issue of commercials that are too loud and movie soundtracks with vast differences between soft and loud passages; the results are more intelligible dialogue, loud passages maintain impact, and soft whispers are clearly heard. When the volume level changes, Dynamic EQ also adjusts the frequency response to maintain sound quality. You can set the Dynamic Volume to Day (low), Evening (middle), or Midnight (high).
Note: You can also setup your speaker system manually using the receiver. You can adjust speaker configuration (large/small/none), bass setting (LFE/LFE+Main), low-pass crossover (80/90/100/110/120/150/200/250Hz), speaker distance (0-60'), channel level (-12 to +12dB), and high-pass crossover frequency (40/60/80/90/100/110/120/150/200/250Hz)
Surround Modes: This receiver incorporates a wide variety of surround modes to bring you maximum enjoyment from your audio and video software. The unit can be set to store the most recently selected surround mode for each input, so it is automatically activated each the particular input is chosen. The surround modes include:
- Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital is a 5.1 multi-channel digital surround format.
- Dolby Digital EX: Dolby Digital EX is a 6.1 multi-channel digital surround format.
- Dolby TrueHD: Dolby TrueHD is a lossless coding technology that supports up to 8 channels of multi-channel surround sound for the next generation optical discs. The reproduced sound is true to the original source bit-for-bit.
- DTS Digital Surround: DTS Digital Surround is a 5.1 multi-channel digital surround sound format used for both commercial/theatrical and consumer grade applications.
- DTS-HD High Resolution: DTS-HD High Resolution Audio is an improved version of the conventional DTS, DTS-ES and DTS 96/24 signal formats that is compatible with sampling frequencies of 48 or 96 kHz and up to 7.1-channels of discrete digital sound. High data bit rate performance provides high quality sound.
- DTS-HD Master Audio: DTS-HD Master Audio is a lossless audio format compatible with up to 96 kHz and up to 7.1-channels. The lossless audio coding technology faithfully reproduces the sound of the studio master.
- DTS-ES Extended Surround: DTS-ES features two 6.1 multi-channel formats.
- DTS-ES Discrete 6.1: DTS-ES Discrete 6.1-channel is a 6.1-channel discrete digital audio format adding a surround back channel to the DTS digital surround sound.
- DTS-ES Matrix 6.1: DTS-ES Matrix 6.1-channel is a discrete 5.1 channel digital audio format inserting a surround back channel to the DTS surround sound through matrix encoding.
- DTS 96/24: DTS 96/24 is a digital audio format enabling high sound quality playback in 5.1-channels with a sampling frequency of 96 kHz and 24 bit quantization of DVD-video.
- DTS Neo:6 Surround: DTS Neo:6 is a matrix decoding technology for achieving 6.1-channel surround playback with 2-channel sources. You can choose from two DTS Neo: 6 Surround formats - Neo: 6 Cinema and Neo: 6 Music.
- Dolby Pro Logic: Center and mono surround information is matrixed into two stereo channels. When reproduced, audio is decoded and output in 4 channel surround sound.
- Dolby Pro Logic II: Dolby Pro Logic II technology processes any high quality stereo (two-channel) movie and music audio into five playback channels of full-bandwidth surround sound. A matrix surround decoding technology, Dolby Pro Logic II detects the directional cues that occur naturally in stereo content and uses these elements to create a five-channel surround sound playback experience. You can choose from Cinema, Music, or Game formats. You can also choose Dolby Pro Logic (the earlier 4-channel mode).
- Dolby Pro Logic IIx: Pro Logic IIx expands any existing stereo- or 5.1-channel audio for a 6.1- or 7.1- channel playback, creating a seamless, natural surround soundfield that immerses you in the entertainment experience. You can choose from the following Dolby Pro Logic IIx formats - Cinema, Music, or Game.
- Dolby Pro Logic IIz: Dolby Pro Logic IIz introduces a new dimension to home entertainment through the addition of a pair of front height channels. Compatible with stereo, 5.1ch, and 7.1ch content, Dolby Pro Logic IIz provides enhances spaciousness, depth, and dimension to movies, concert video, and videogame playback while maintaining full integrity of the source mix.
- Audyssey Dynamic (DSX): Auddysey DSX extends 5.1-channel and 7.1-channel sound sources to a wider and higher dimension. A sound that is wider to the left and right is achieved by adding a sound source that is wider than the usual placement of the front speakers, and a greater sense of height in sound space is achieved by adding a sound source in the upper area between the front speakers.
- Combined Surround Modes: The receiver features several combined modes using existing Dolby and DTS surround modes: Dolby Digital (Plus) + Dolby Pro Logic IIx Cinema/Music, Dolby Digital (Plus) + Dolby Pro Logic IIz, Dolby True HD + Ex, Dolby TrueHD + Dolby Pro Logic IIx Cinema/Music, Dolby TrueHD + Dolby Pro Logic IIz, DTS (HD) + Dolby Pro Logic IIx Cinema/Music, DTS (HD) + Dolby Pro Logic IIz, or DTS (HD) + Neo:6.
- Neural Surround: Neural Surround has been adopted by XM Satellite Radio for digital radio broadcasts of XM HD Surround recordings and live events in surround sound. Neural Surround employs psychoacoustic frequency domain processing which allows delivery of a more detailed sound stage with superior channel separation and localization of audio elements.
- Denon Original Surround (DSP) Modes:
The desired surround mode according to the
program source and viewing situation can be selected from among 7 Denon
original surround modes.
- Wide Screen: this mode is for enjoying the atmosphere of viewing a movie on a large screen
- Super Stadium: this mode is suited for viewing sports programs
- Rock Arena: this mode is for enjoying the atmosphere of a live concert in an arena
- Jazz Club: this mode is for enjoying the atmosphere of a live concert in a jazz club
- Classic Concert: this mode is for appreciating classical concert programs
- Mono Movie: this mode is for playing monaural movie sources with surround sound
- Video game: this mode is suited for achieving surround sound with video games
- Matrix: this mode lets you add a sense of expansion to stereo music sources
- Virtual: this mode is for enjoying surround effects using only the front speakers or headphones
- 7CH Stereo: this mode is for enjoying stereo sound from all speakers
- Stereo Playback: This is the mode for playing in stereo. The tone can be adjusted. Sound is output from the front left and right speakers, along with a connected subwoofer.
- Direct Playback: In this mode, this audio signal bypass the tone adjustment circuitry for higher quality sound.
- Pure Direct: This mode recreates the original sound most faithfully, providing extremely high quality sound.
Surround Parameters: You can adjust the following surround mode parameters:
- CINEMA EQ (Cinema Equalizer): The Cinema EQ function gently decreases the level of the extreme high frequencies, compensating for overly-bright sounding motion picture soundtracks. Select this function if the sound from the front speakers is too bright. This function only works in the Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Pro Logic (including PL II, PL IIx, PL IIz), and DTS Neo:6 modes.
- Dynamic Range Compression: Motion picture soundtracks have tremendous dynamic range (the contrast between very soft and very loud sounds). For listening late at night, or whenever the maximum sound level is lower than usual, Compressing the dynamic range allows you to hear all of the sounds in the soundtrack with reduced dynamic range. DRC works when playing program sources recorded in formats other than DTS.
- LFE: This setting adjusts the low-frequency effects level (LFE). You can adjust the LFE from -10 to 0 dB.
- Center Width: This function assigns the center channel signal to the front left and right channels for wider sound; select from 0 to 7. This function only works in the Dolby Pro Logic II and PL IIx modes.
- Center Image: This function assigns a center channel signal to the front left and right channels for wider sound; adjust from 0.0 to 1.0. This function only works in the DTS Neo:6 mode.
- Panorama: This feature assigns front left and right signals to surround channels for wider sound, you can turn this feature On or Off. This function only works in the Dolby Pro Logic II and PL IIx modes.
- Dimension: This settings shifts the sound image to the front or rear to adjust playback balance; select from 0 to 6. This function only works in the Dolby Pro Logic II and PL IIx modes.
- Delay Time: This feature adjusts the delay time to control the sound stage size. In this menu the delay time is only adjusted for the Matrix mode.
- Effect Level: This function adjusts the effect signal level from 1 to 15 when using the Denon Original Surround Modes.
- Room Size: This feature allows you to set the size of your acoustic environment when using the Denon Original Surround Modes; select Small, Medium small, Medium, Medium large, or Large.
- SB CH Out: This setting selects the playback mode for the surround back channels; there are separate settings for multi-channel and 2-channel sources.
Source Level: This function adjusts the playback level of the currently select input source's audio input. Use this feature if there are differences in the input volume levels between different sources. You can correct the playback level of the audio input from -12 to +12dB.
Tone Settings: You can independently adjust the system's overall Bass and Treble settings from -6 to +6 dB. You can also fade the sound from front to rear or vice-versa.
Restorer: This function restores compressed audio signals to pre-compression form, correcting the sense of bass and treble volume to obtain a richer sounding playback; select 64, 96, or HQ based on the compression setting of the source material.
Auto Lip Sync (Audio Delay): This feature automatically compensates for the timing shift between the audio and video of the receiver. If needed, the audio signal can be manually delayed to match the video signal; adjust from 0-200ms.
Denon Link (4th gen): This receiver features the Denon Link (4th generation), an RJ-45 jack on the back panel, which allows a one-cable connection to a compatible Denon DVD player equipped with a Denon Link connector. This digital connection allows the input of Super Audio CD, DVD-Audio and Blu-ray Audio/Video digital signals with jitter-less data transfer and ultra-low noise.
Volume Setting: You can set a maximum volume level of 0, -10, or -20 dB to limit the receiver's total volume output. You can also specify a turn-on volume, from -80 to +18dB or Last (whatever the volume setting when the receiver was turned off).
Muting Level Adjustment: You can set the amount of attenuation for the audio muting circuit; -40dB or --20dB below current volume, or full mute (sound turned off entirely).
Assignable Digital Inputs: The AVR-4310CI features 2 optical digital (Toslink) inputs and 3 coaxial digital inputs. Each input can be assigned to any of the different input sources except Phono and Tuner. Optical Digital Input 2 also has a corresponding Optical Digital output for use with a CD, MD or other digital recording device.
7.1 Multi-Channel Input: The AVR-4310CI is equipped with a 7.1-channel input to accommodate present and future multi-channel formats.
Binding Post Speaker Terminals: All of the receiver's speaker terminals are binding posts. They are not 5-way binding posts because a plastic collar prevents their use with spade lugs and they are positioned too far apart to be used with dual banana plugs.
7.1 Multi-Channel Pre-Out: The receiver features a 7.1-channel pre-out for connection to an external power amplifier.
HD Radio Tuner: The AVR-4310CI features a built-in HD AM/FM tuner. HD radio stations offer higher sound quality than conventional FM/AM broadcasts. HD FM stations sound as great as CD quality while HD AM sounds a rich as analog FM stereo. It is also possible to receive data services and select broadcasts from among up to eight multicast programs. In addition, the AVR-4310CI receives standard analog AM/FM broadcasts. You can store up to 56 radio stations presets (8 stations each in 7 separate banks). You can name each preset with an 8 character ID. You can delete any unused tuner banks.
Personal Memory Plus: For each input, the receiver automatically memorizes the settings for input mode, surround mode, HDMI output mode, MultEQ, Dynamic EQ, Dynamic Volume, audio delay, etc. When the input source is switched, the settings last used for that source are automatically recalled. The surround parameters, tone control settings, and playback levels for the different output channels are memorized for each surround mode.
Back-Up Memory: The unit is equipped with a back-up memory that provides approximately one week of memory storage when the main unit's power switch is off and the power cord is disconnected.
Sleep Timer: This function allows you to automatically set the power to standby after a predetermined amount of time has passed. You can se the sleep timer to 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Noise Shaped Video (NSV): The NSV precision video feature works in the digital domain to reduce noise in the video signal frequency band in order to enhance video signal linearity, provide accurate signal representations, and enhance the picture quality. Noise shaping techniques can be combined with dynamic element matching techniques in order to reduce the matching requirements of DAC elements by converting the analog mismatch into and out of band noise. This approach of dynamic element matching and noise shaping has been shown to allow the use of sigma delta modulation at video data rates. NSV can achieve ultimate precision with 12-bit fidelity in both digital-to-analog and analog-to-digital domains.
HDMI ver. 1.3a: This unit has 5 HDMI version 1.3a inputs and 2 HDMI version 1.3a outputs. The HDMI inputs are assignable to different input sources. The 2 HDMI outputs are parallel so the same video signal is output through both. The HDMI jacks support HDCP copyright protection and are compatible with 30 and 36 bit Deep Color and xvYCC technology.
High-Bit i/P Converter and Scaler Up to 1080p via HDMI: The AVR-4310CI is equipped with a flexible video switching system that converts video signals in an effort to only require one video connection from receiver to TV. The Denon AV receiver is equipped with a high-bit i/p converter and scaler (up to 1080p) featuring Anchor Bay VRS processing which provides multi-cadence detection for SD and HD video signal and offers digital noise reduction and enhancement. This means that the 480i/480p (SD-quality) video signals of DVD programs and other materials input through receiver are converted to the high quality 1080p signal of HD video, and output through the unit's HDMI monitor port to your HDTV. The fuzziness in the details of SD video is removed to produce a clear picture.
- Composite Video: can be converted to S-Video, component video, or HDMI
- S-Video: can be converted to composite video, component video, or HDMI
- Component Video: can be converted to composite video, S-Video, or HDMI (480i signals only when down converting)
Note: Video signals input as HDMI must be output via HDMI.
Component Video Inputs/Outputs: The receiver features 3 component video inputs and 1 component video output. The component video inputs are assignable to different sources.
Picture Adjustments: The receiver allows you to make the following picture adjustments to incoming video - Contrast, Brightness, Chroma Level, Hue, DNR, and Enhancer.
On-Screen Display (OSD) With GUI Menus: An OSD with GUI menus can be displayed on your television for easy system setup. The OSD and GUI menus are sent through all monitor outputs (composite video, S-video, component video, and HDMI).
Dimmer: The receiver features 4 display brightness settings; Bright, Dim, Dark and Off.
USB Terminal: USB terminals that let you connect a USB-compatible portable music player are located behind the trap door on the front panel and on the receiver's rear panel. You can connect your player or PC to these terminals and play the MP3 (32-320kbps), WMA (48-192kbps), AAC (16-320kbps), WAV, or FLAC files directly through the AVR-4310CI system. When a music file includes album art data, the album art can be displayed on your connected TV while playing the file. You can also play JPEG still picture files in a slideshow fashion that are stored on a USB memory device. The AVR-4310CI is compatible with mass storage class and MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) USB memory devices in FAT16 or FAT32 format.
Note: You cannot use the front USB port and rear USB port at the same time. You must select which port you want to use - Front or Rear.
Home Network Function: The AVR-4310CI is equipped with an Ethernet port that lets connect the receiver to your home network. To connect the Denon AV receiver to your DLNA-compatible home network, you will need to install TwonkyMedia Server 5.0 software on your PC. Once you have connected the AVR-4310CI to your home network, you can take advantage of 4 home audio network functions:
- Music Server: The AVR-4310CI's Music Server function lets you stream audio and still image files (MP3/WMA/WAV/MPEG-4 AAC/FLAC/JPEG) stored on your PC to the receiver. This network connection uses 2 standard technologies: Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service or Windows Media DRM10. The AVR-4310CI also supports MP3 ID3-Tag (ver.2) and WMA META tags. The AVR-4310CI only supports files that are not copyright protected. The Denon AVR-4310C also supports Napster, which is a monthly subscription music distribution service. This service allows you to download and play pieces of music you want to hear on the AVR-4310CI (account required). In addition, The AVR-4310CI supports Rhapsody, which is a paid music broadcast service (subscription required).
- Internet Radio: Internet radio refers to radio broadcasts distributed over the Internet. Internet radio stations from around the world can be tuned in. The AVR-4310C supports MP3/WMA Internet radio content and allows you to search for Internet radio stations by genre or region in alphabetical order. The list of stations that the AVR-4310CI uses comes from the vTuner radio station database that has been customized for Denon. You can store up to 56 Internet radio presets and register your favorite radio stations at radiodenon.com.
- A/V Receiver Network Setup (Web control): This function lets you set up and control the A/V receiver over a network using Internet Explorer on a PC. The AVR-4310CI's Ethernet port also supports serial controls that use Crestron and others.
- Network Party Mode: The same network audio (Internet Radio, Media Server, or iPod Direct) can be played on multiple Denon products (up to 4) equipped with the Part Mode function and connected in a network.
Note: A computer with the following specifications is required to use the Home Network feature: Operating Systems include - Windows XP Service Pack2 or Windows Vista; Installed Software includes - Windows Media Player ver11 or a DLNA-compatible server software; Internet Browser needs to be Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or later, a LAN port is needed, along with 300 MB or more free disk space.
Learning Main Remote Control (RC-1116): The receiver's main remote control (RC-1116) features a back-lit LCD touch panel as well as hard-key buttons for operation of the AVR-4310CI. If your other audio/video devices are of a brand other than Denon or if they cannot be operated with the preset memory function, the other device's remote control signals can be transferred and stored in the AVR-4310CI's main remote control (RC-1116). The remote control is equipped with "System Call" functions, allowing a series of remote control signals to be transmitted by pressing a single button. Up to 32 sequential signals can be stored in each of the 3 System Call buttons.
Sub/Multi-Zone Remote Control (RC-1121): The receiver's sub remote control unit is equipped with frequently used buttons, so it can be used for simple remote control unit operations. The sub remote (RC-1121) can also be used for multi-zone, so you can use it to control the AVR-4310CI from other rooms via an optional IR repeater kit. The following operations can be performed using this remote:
- Switching the input source
- Adjusting the volume
- Tuner (AM/FM), XM, HD Radio and iPod operations
- NET/USB direct play
- GUI menu and Zone2 on-screen display operations
- Zone power on/off
Note: It is not possible to operate devices other than the amplifier.
HDMI Control: The Denon AVR-4310CI can control select external audio/video components connected via HDMI which supports HDMI control. When you make an HDMI connection with a TV or player compatible with the AVR-4310CI's HDMI control function, you can perform the operations from the AVR-4310CI's remote control - Power off, Switching of audio output devices, Switching of audio input devices, Volume adjustment, and Playback functions.
Custom Integration: The AVR-4310CI carries the "CI" stamp, which is Denon's certification to custom installers that the receiver has advanced connectivity and control features often required for custom home integration and theater applications using premium control systems. These features include a RS232C jack for use with whole house control systems, remote in/out IR command control, and assignable +12-volt triggers.
- RS-232C Port: The AVR-4310CI includes an RS-232C port for connection to external whole-house control systems, from companies such as AMX, Crestron, and others, and provides a software/firmware upgrade pathway.
- Room-to-Room Remote Jacks: The receiver has a mini-jack input for use with an optional Denon RC-616, 617, or 618 IR re-transmitter. The adjacent room-to-room output is for future use.
- 12V Trigger Outputs: The AVR-4310CI has 2 mini-jack outputs to send a 12-Volt DC "turn-on" signal to another component that accepts a 12V trigger, such as a power amplifier. These trigger outputs can be assigned to the Main Zone, Zone 2 or Zone 3.
iPod Compatibility: Using an optional ASD-11R iPod dock (sold separately), you can integrate your iPod with the AVR-4310CI. Song titles appear on the receiver's display panel and the iPod can be controlled using the buttons on the main unit and the remote control.
Sirius Satellite Radio Ready: The AVR-4310CI can be connected to the optional SiriusConnect home tuner kit (item numbers 607SCH1 or 220SCH2P, sold separately), allowing you to receive Sirius Satellite Radio through the receiver. The display shows channel name, number, category, artist, or song title. Sirius channels are stored as presets and recalled in the same way AM and FM stations are. A subscription to Sirius Satellite Radio is required.
XM Satellite Ready: The optional XM Direct 2 Home Tuner (220XHD2H1, sold separately) lets you enjoy XM Satellite Radio through the XM-ready receiver. Simply connect the XM direct 2 Home Tuner to the XM jack on back of the receiver, place and aim the included antenna for optimum reception, and you are ready to start enjoying commercial-free music, plus live sports, new, talk, and exclusive entertainment. The channel number, channel name, artist name, and song title are listed on the AVR-4310CI's display and on the connected TV monitor. XM stations are stored as presets and recalled in the same way AM and FM stations are.
Note: In addition to the XM Direct 2 Home Tuner and the XM-ready receiver, you will need a subscription to XM Satellite Radio to receive XM programming.