About the Denon AVR-S510BT
Performance meets value
Performance meets value
If you're anything like me, you're a budget-conscious shopper. Your goal is to find the highest-quality option in a given price range, and you won't spend extra on features you don't need or won't use. Sound familiar? Then the wallet-friendly Denon AVR-S510BT might just be the perfect choice. From date night, to family movie night, to an evening with friends, this capable receiver makes staying home an attractive option. It delivers engaging surround sound with movies and TV shows, along with rich full sound for your favorite music.
More than just the bare essentials
The AVR-S510BT has connections for your Blu-ray player, cable or satellite box, streaming devices, and more. With support for 4K video, it comes ready for the latest Ultra HD TVs. It also supports playback of high-resolution FLAC files, and Denon's Compressed Audio Restorer revitalizes lower-resolution music files, so you'll enjoy rich detail in all of your music. Built-in Bluetooth gives you a wide range of music options. Anything you can listen to on your phone or tablet, you can stream directly to the AVR-S510BT. The included setup microphone lets you calibrate your system, taking into account your space and setup, so your speakers sound their best. Straightforward controls let you operate your system with ease, and you can even use your phone or tablet as a Bluetooth remote control.
Power and Processing:
- 5-channel amplifier
- 70 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding
- automatic speaker calibration optimizes your speakers for your room and setup (microphone included)
Digital and Streaming Music Options:
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music listening with smartphones, tablets, and compatible computers
- Denon's Compressed Audio Restorer improves sound quality of MP3s and other digital music files
- plays high-resolution FLAC files from connected USB memory devices (up to 24-bit/96kHz)
- HDMI 2.0 audio/video switching: 5 in, 1 out
- HDCP 2.2 technology ensures compatibility with 4K Ultra HD sources and TVs (HDMI inputs 3, 4, 5, and monitor output only)
- composite video switching: 2 in, 1 out
- digital audio inputs: 2 optical and 1 coaxial
- 2 analog stereo audio inputs
- preamp outputs for two powered subwoofers
- no phono input to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
- front-panel USB port for audio playback from USB flash drives
- outputs for 5 speakers (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R)
- full-sized headphone jack
- 4K/60p and 3D video pass-through
- HDMI standby pass-through allows HDMI switching without powering up receiver
- intuitive on-screen guide
- AM/FM tuner
- remote control
- 17-3/16"W x 5-15/16"H x 13-9/16"D
- weight: 17.4 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # AVR-S510BT
What's in the box:
- 5.2ch AV receiver
- Remote control (RC-1196)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Auto calibration microphone
- FM wire antenna
- AM loop antenna
- Quick Start Guide
- Safety Instructions
- Notes on radio
- Warranty Information
Denon AVR-S510BT reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Denon AVR-S510BT
Features & specs
Discrete Amplification: The Denon AVR-S510BT AV receiver features a powerful Class AB power amplifier section equipped with discrete high current power transistors. This discrete amplifier design delivers optimum realism and stunning dynamic range. By using high current, high power discrete power devices, the amplifier is able to easily drive high quality speakers. The AV receiver's five channel Class AB amplifier is rated at 70-watts (into 8-ohms, at 20-20kHz, with 0.08% THD, driving 2 channels).
Multi-Channel Decoding Formats: The Denon AVR-S510BT AV receiver supports the following multi-channel (Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Pro Logic) decoding formats.
- Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD
- DTS: DTS, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS Express, DTS 96/24, DTS Neo: 6
- Dolby Pro Logic: Dolby Pro Logic II
Note: Dolby Digital and DTS listening modes can only be selected if your audio source is connected to the AV receiver via a digital audio connection (HDMI, optical, or coaxial). Even though the AV receiver will decode 7.1channel surround sound (via HDMI), it will only output 5.1ch surround, because it lacks Surround Back channel speaker outputs.
Auto Room EQ: During the auto speaker setup process (known as "Auto Room EQ"), the included measuring microphone determines the right combination of optimum settings for the receiver to deliver the best possible sound quality from your particular speaker system and room. You can also choose to manually adjust the AV receiver's speaker settings.
Other Listening Modes: You can also choose from the one of the following Listening Modes.
- Stereo Playback: Sound is output from the front left and right speakers, as well as the powered subwoofer. If multichannel signals are input, they are mixed down to 2-channel audio. The tone settings can be adjusted.
- Virtual Surround: Enjoy surround effects using only the front speakers or set of headphones.
- Multichannel Stereo: Left and right stereo channels are distributed to all the speakers so that stereo sound can be heard from all directions at any listening position.
- Direct Mode: The Denon AVR-S510BT offers a Direct Listening Mode which bypass the receiver's tone & DSP processing for higher sound quality performance. Direct Mode provides playback of 2ch or Multichannel audio in its original form, without any surround or tone processing.
Surround Parameters: You can adjust the following surround mode parameters:
- Dolby Pro Logic II Music Settings: While listening in the Dolby Pro Logic II Music format, there are three further enhancements you can adjust - Panorama (broadens the front stereo image to the surround speakers to provide a wraparound effect, especially effective when there is limited output from the surround channels), Dimension (allows you to move the sound field forward or backward), and Center Width (allows you to adjust the width of the center channel).
- Center Image: In the Neo:6 Music mode, the Center Image feature adjusts the output of the left and right channels relative to the center channel, allowing you to make the center channel more or less dominant as needed. This improves the image of the center channel, especially when the listener is off-center. Adjustment varies from 5 (nothing subtracted from the L/R channels) to 0 (L/R channel output is cut in half).
Audio Enhancements: The Denon AVR-S510BT receiver provides various audio enhancements to deliver a high-quality listening experience every time.
- Tone Settings: You can independently adjust the system's overall Bass and Treble settings from -6 to +6 dB.
- Restorer: Compressed audio formats such as MP3, WMA (Windows Media Audio), and MPEG-4 AAC reduce the amount of data by eliminating signal components that are hard for the human ear to hear. The Restorer function generates the signals eliminated upon compression, restoring the sound to conditions near those of the original sound before compression. It also corrects the sense of volume of the bass to obtain richer sound with compressed audio signals.
- Dynamic Range Compression (DRC): Motion picture soundtracks have tremendous dynamic range (the contrast between very soft and very loud sounds). For listening late at night, or whenever the maximum sound level is lower than usual, Compressing the dynamic range allows you to hear all of the sounds in the soundtrack with reduced dynamic range. DRC works when playing program sources recorded in Dolby Digital or DTS.
- Night Mode: The Night Mode optimizes sound for late night listening. This function can be set to Low, Mid, High, or Off.
- Audio Delay: If needed, the audio signal can be manually delayed to match the video signal; adjust from 0-200ms.
Volume Settings: The AVR-S510BT offers the following volume settings.
- Volume Scale: You can choose to display an Absolute volume scale (0-98) or Relative volume scale (-79.5 to 18dB).
- Volume Limit: You can set a maximum volume level of 0, -10, or -20 dB to limit the receiver's total volume output.
- Power On Level: You can define the volume setting that is active when the power is turned on (0, 1-98, -79 to +18dB, or Last)
- Mute Level: You can set the amount of attenuation for the audio muting circuit; -40dB or -20dB below current volume, or full mute (sound turned off entirely).
- Source Level: This function adjusts the playback level of the currently selected input source's audio input. Use this feature if there are differences in the input volume levels between different sources. You can correct the playback level of the audio input from -12 to +12dB.
Audio Inputs/Outputs: The Denon AV receiver offers a variety of analog and digital audio inputs/outputs.
- Digital & Analog Inputs: The AVR-S510BT features two optical digital (Toslink) inputs and a coaxial (RCA) digital input; the digital input are assignable. There are also two stereo analog (RCA) inputs.
- Speaker Terminals: The receiver has spring-clip terminals for all speaker connections. The spring-clip terminals can accept bare wire and pin connectors. The receiver will accept speaker impedances of 6 to 16-ohm.
- Dual Sub Outputs: For compatibility with dual subwoofer home theater systems, the AVR-S510BT features two non-discrete subwoofer outputs. With dual subwoofers, which can be placed in different parts of the room, you'll benefit from response averaging, which helps provide smoother and more detailed deep bass, compared to a conventional single subwoofer speaker system. The same signal is output from each sub output.
- Headphone Jack: When headphones are plugged into the full-size 1/4" jack on the front panel, all the speakers are automatically muted.
HDMI 2.0: The Denon AVR-S510BT is equipped with five HDMI 2.0 inputs and one HDMI 2.0 output, enabling connection to various HDMI compatible devices such as Blu-ray Disc players, satellite/cable boxes, game consoles, and HD video camcorders. The HDMI jacks can accept and switch 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, or 4K video signals to a TV (depending on input).
- 4K/60Hz + HDCP 2.2: The AVR-S510BT features support for 4K Ultra-HD full frame rate 60 Hz pass-through on HDMI 3/4/5 inputs and HDMI monitor output, along with 4:4:4 Pure Color sub-sampling pass-through. The HDMI 3/4/5 inputs and monitor output are also equipped with HDCP 2.2 signal handling, a requirement for 4K Ultra-HD copy-protected content.
- 3D Ready: Every HDMI input and output of the AVR-S510BT is able to pass through 3D video signals from your Blu-ray player or satellite/cable box to your 3D ready TV via HDMI.
- Deep/x.v.Color Support: The receiver also supports Deep Color and x.v.Color content, which can display a larger color range than standard-definition schemes. The result is a more lifelike, vibrant picture.
HDMI Standby Pass-Through: When the AV receiver is in "Standby" mode and the HDMI Standby Pass-Through function is enabled, both audio/video streams from the receivers HDMI input will be output to your television, via the AV receiver's HDMI monitor output. Once the receiver is turned "On", only video will pass through the monitor output to your TV and the audio is directed to the receiver's speaker outputs.
- HDMI Input: Selects the HDMI Input for which the HDMI Standby Pass-Through function is enabled.
- Last: The HDMI Standby-Through function is activated on the input source selected at the time of setting the AV receiver to the "Standby" mode.
- Off: The HDMI Standby Pass-Through function is disabled.
Composite Video Inputs/Output: The receiver features two composite video inputs and one composite video monitor output. You must connect the receiver to your TV via composite video to view incoming video from the receiver's composite inputs. There are no component video inputs or outputs.
Video Select Function: This receiver can display video from a different source on your connected TV during audio playback from Tuner, USB, or Bluetooth.
Front-Panel USB Port: This AV receiver is equipped with a front-panel USB (type-A) port that allows you to enjoy a variety of music files from a USB mass storage class memory device; such as your Android smartphone (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only), digital audio player, or USB thumbdrive. Compatible USB storage devices must be formatted in FAT 16 or FAT32. The unit can recognize up to 99 folders/999 files. You can use the receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI) and remote control to navigate your stored music files on your connected USB memory device. Song/artist information will display on your HDMI-connected TV and the receivers front-panel display. USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the AV receiver's USB port (5V/1A); even in standby mode.
Compatible Audio Formats Sampling Frequencies Bit rate Extension WMA (Windows Media Audio) 32/44.1/48 kHz 48-192 kbps .wma MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3) 32/44.1/48 kHz 32-320 kbps .mp3 WAV 32/44.1/48 kHz N/A .wav MPEG-4 AAC 32/44.1/48 kHz 48-320 kbps .aac/.m4a FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) 32/44.1/48/88.2/96 kHz N/A .flac
Note: The receiver's USB port is not compatible with Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad or Android devices with newer operating system than stated above.
AM/FM Tuner: The Denon AV receiver features a built-in AM/FM tuner with 56 station auto-preset memory tuning. You can also set your presets manually.
OSD w/ Setup Assistant (via HDMI): With Denon's on-screen menu and setup assistant, you can connect, configure, and use your home theater system with ease. The OSD and setup assistant features clear on-screen graphics and text that optimizes critical system settings for your particular home theater setup. The on-screen menu and setup assistant can be output to your TV via HDMI only. If you connect the receiver to your television via only composite video, you will need to use the AV receiver's front-panel display for menu and source adjustments.
Quick Select: On the AVR-S510BT's front-panel, you'll find four Quick Select buttons that let you quickly choose from the most popular input sources; the ergonomically designed remote also includes Quick Select function buttons. With Quick Select, the AVR-S510BT remembers not only your preferred inputs but also your preferred audio settings, so you can enjoy precisely tailored sound with each one.
Timers: The Denon AV receiver features a programmable Sleep Timer and Auto Standby function.
- Sleep Timer: This function allows you to automatically set the power to standby after a predetermined amount of time has passed; set the sleep timer up to 120 minutes in 10 minute increments.
- Auto Standby: The unit enters standby mode automatically when no commands are sent to the unit for the set time (15/30/60 minutes). Before it enters the standby mode, "Auto Standby" is displayed on the front-panel display of this unit and the on-screen menu.
ECO Mode: This receiver is equipped with an ECO Mode function that allows you to enjoy music and movies while reducing the power consumption during use, Eco mode adjusts the maximum power available according to the volume level selected to reduce power consumption.
Personal Memory Plus: For each input, the receiver automatically memorizes the settings for input mode, surround mode, HDMI output mode, audio delay, etc. When the input source is switched, the settings last used for that source are automatically recalled. The surround parameters, tone control settings, and playback levels for the different output channels are memorized for each surround mode.
Built-in Bluetooth: The Denon AVR-S510BT features built-in Bluetooth (version 2.1+EDR) with support for wireless music streaming (A2DP 1.2) and control (AVRCP 1.5). You'll be able to wirelessly connect to Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphones/tablets, Windows Phone/PC, Mac computers/laptops and other Bluetooth-enabled devices. Up to eight Bluetooth devices can be remembered by the AVR-S510BT, so family members as well as friends can enjoy their favorite tracks (only one device can be used at a time).
- Wireless Music Streaming: You'll be able to wirelessly stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone/tablet, computer/laptop and more to the Denon receiver. In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the AVR-S510BT offers support of AAC. By supporting AAC, the Denon receiver offers better audio performance of the music streamed from your Apple iPod/iPhone/Pad.
- Wireless Music Control: You will also be able to control basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip) using the receiver's remote control. Advanced music operation will still need to be handled from your Bluetooth-enable device. There is no song/artist information display on the receiver or connected TV. Continue to use your Bluetooth device's screen to view song/artist info.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Denon AV receiver.
Bluetooth Remote App: Download the 500 Series Denon Remote app and control your AVR-S510BT from your Bluetooth-enabled Android or Apple iOS device. The app is available now for Android (4.0+) devices, and will soon be offered for Apple iOS devices (later this year). Functions include:
- Power on/off, Volume up/down, & Mute on/off
- Input selection & Sound mode selection
- Tuner control (including Band selection, Tune up/down, & Preset up/down)
- Music Player for internal music files of your Android or Apple iOS mobile device
- Browse & playback control for a connected USB mass storage class device
Wireless Remote Control: The AVR-S510BT comes with an IR remote for wireless operation of the AV receiver.
The Denon AVR-S510BT replaces these items
- 5-channel amplifier; 70 watts per channel with 2 channels driven
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music listening with smartphones, tablets, and compatible computers
- front-panel USB input for connecting an external storage device or thumb drive
18 questions already asked