About the Denon AVR-X3700H (2020 model)
Create a fantastic home theater experience
Create a fantastic home theater experience
I typically see two main reasons why our customers consider buying a new home theater receiver. They're either replacing a sturdy-but-outdated workhorse that's been in their system for years. Or, they're designing a brand new surround sound system and want the latest A/V technology available.
Whichever camp you're in, Denon's AVR-X3700H is poised to deliver. This nine-channel, 8K-capable receiver has everything you need for a fun-packed home theater experience. Let's take a closer look.
What's new for 2020?
Last year's lineup of Denon home theater receivers was quite popular with our customers. 2020 brings even more features to the table, including 8K video upscaling, Bluetooth transmission to headphones (think late-night movies or TV streaming), and enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC), which lets you pass full-resolution surround sound signals from your TV to your receiver.
Denon has also added several gaming-optimized video processing technologies for a smooth, lag-free video game experience (a feature set I'm particularly eager to try out).
Denon's AVR-X3700H helps deliver exciting home theater sound for movies and TV shows, video games, and music.
Set this flexible receiver up your way
The AVR-X3700H has outputs for 11 speakers, and it can power up to nine at the same time. This gives you the flexibility to choose from different home theater and wired multi-room music configurations.
Use all nine channels in a 5.1.4 or 7.1.2 Dolby Atmos® or DTS:X™ system, or go with a more modest surround sound setup and repurpose the extra channels for music in another zone.
And with "old school" features like composite and component video switching, this nine-channel powerhouse will play virtually any source you throw at it.
Enjoy music your way
If you're like me, you'll use your new receiver to play music in addition to watching movies. The AVR-X3700H lets you stream tunes from your phone or tablet through Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and even Apple AirPlay 2.
Love spinning vinyl? This receiver has a built-in phono input for your turntable. And if you've carefully curated an awesome music library, you can play high-resolution tracks from a USB drive or networked computer.
Expand your system with HEOS Built-in
HEOS Built-in technology lets you access all of your music — from your personal library, internet radio, and popular streaming services like Pandora®, Spotify®, and TIDAL — through the 'X3700H.
This receiver can be easily integrated into a wireless multi-room audio system as well. Stream music to HEOS wireless speakers and components in different rooms, and control each room's sound independently with the free HEOS app.
The app lets you control playback, browse music sources, and select which rooms you want to use. Play the same music throughout your home, or listen to something different in each room.
Just ask Alexa...
The HEOS Home Entertainment skill for Amazon Alexa lets you use your Echo devices to issue voice commands to the AVR-X3700H. You can easily switch inputs and control volume and playback on the receiver and other HEOS enabled devices.
Alexa can also help you search for music and stream different content to different rooms in your multi-room HEOS system.
...or your Google Assistant
The AVR-X3700H is also compatible with Google Assistant-enabled devices. Launch a song in the HEOS app, and then ask your Google Home or Google Pixel phone to change volume, play, pause, skip tracks, and more.
Power and processing:
- 9-channel amplifier
- 105 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Dolby®, DTS®, and Auro-3D® surround sound decoding
- Dolby Atmos® processing for use with in-ceiling or "height" speakers for more enveloping home theater sound
- Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization and DTS Virtual:X® create three-dimensional effects without height speakers
- IMAX® Enhanced reproduces the full dynamic range of specially encoded IMAX soundtracks from compatible sources
- analog-to-HDMI video conversion
- upscales standard-definition video signals to HD and Ultra HD (up to 8K)
- Audyssey speaker calibration and system optimization includes:
- MultEQ® XT32 auto setup and room calibration delivers balanced, dynamic sound with enhanced surround performance
- Dynamic Volume anticipates loud sounds to keep volume levels even
- Dynamic EQ improves dialogue, bass response, and surround channel levels at lower volumes
- Sub EQ HT provides individual calibration for dual subwoofers, for even bass response throughout the room
- Low Frequency Containment reduces the amount of bass that bleeds into other rooms
- Audyssey MultEQ Editor app for further audio customization (paid app; not included)
Digital and streaming music options:
- built-in Wi-Fi for listening to music from a networked PC, free internet radio, and music services
- HEOS Built-in technology wirelessly connects compatible HEOS components for whole home audio
- Apple AirPlay 2 lets you stream directly from an iPhone® or iPad® and ask Siri to play Apple Music®
- supports multi-room audio with compatible wireless speakers
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music listening with smartphones, tablets, and compatible computers
- Bluetooth transmission for sending audio from the receiver to Bluetooth-enabled headphones
- play audio through Bluetooth headphones only, or through Bluetooth headphones and connected speakers simultaneously
- plays high-resolution digital music files via USB storage device or a networked computer (PCM up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution; DSD up to 5.6 MHz)
- Denon's Compressed Audio Restorer improves sound quality of MP3s and other digital music files
- dual-room/dual-source output
- amp assign function lets you use surround back speaker outputs for front height, Zone 2, Front B, or bi-amping front speakers
- using powered 2nd-room output allows 7.2-channel sound in main room
- All Zone Stereo mode ensures that both zones stay in sync when playing the same source
- All Zone TV Audio lets you play the audio from your television to all zones
- supports both analog and digital audio connections
- HDMI dual-zone switching for watching video content from different sources in two zones simultaneously
- Zone 2 compatible audio sources: HDMI audio, optical/coaxial digital inputs, analog audio inputs, AM/FM tuner, USB, Bluetooth, and HEOS music apps
- cannot select different USB/Bluetooth/network sources for each zone
- HDMI 2.1 audio/video switching: 7 in, 3 out
- 1 input and 2 outputs support 8K/60Hz and 4K/120Hz video
- all inputs and outputs support 4K/60Hz video
- HDCP 2.3 technology ensures compatibility with Ultra HD sources and TVs
- HDR-compatible for extended picture contrast and brightness with compatible TVs and HDR-encoded content
- supports HDR10, HDR10+, Dolby Vision™, and HLG
- gaming-optimized video processing technologies for a smooth, lag-free gaming experience
- Variable Refresh Rate (VRR), Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM), and Quick Frame Transport (QFT) reduce or eliminate lag and frame tearing
- supports ARC (Audio Return Channel) and eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel)
- eARC receives uncompressed surround sound signals including Dolby Atmos and DTS:X via the HDMI connection with your compatible TV
- component video switching: 2 in, 1 out
- composite video switching: 3 in, 1 out
- digital audio inputs: 2 Toslink optical, 2 coaxial
- 5 analog stereo RCA audio inputs
- MM (moving magnet) phono input for connecting a turntable
- 11.2-channel preamp outputs
- two discrete line-level subwoofer outputs for more precise multi-subwoofer setups
- front-panel USB port for audio playback from USB flash drives
- Ethernet port for network connection
- outputs for 11 speakers (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R, Height1 L/R, Height2 L/R)
- receiver can power a maximum of 9 channels at once
- RS-232C, remote (IR), and 12-volt trigger connections for use with optional third-party controller
- full-sized headphone jack
- removable power cord
- free Denon AVR Remote app lets you use your Apple® or Android™ device as a Wi-Fi remote
- Setup Assistant guides you through the initial connection process and settings
- HDMI standby pass-through allows HDMI switching without powering up receiver
- intuitive, full-color on-screen guide
- AM/FM tuner
- remote control
- 17-3/16"W x 6-9/16"H x 15-15/16"D (9-5/16"H with Wi-Fi antennas raised)
- weight: 27.6 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # AVRX3700BKE3
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Denon AVR-X3700H (2020 model)
Features & specs
The Denon AVR-X3700H (2020 model) replaces these items
- 9-channel amplifier; 120 watts per channel with 2 channels driven
- Dolby Atmos® and DTS:X™ for immersive surround sound
- Chromecast built-in allows wireless music streaming and voice control with compatible devices