About the Denon DHT-S217
Compact design, big sound
The Denon DHT-S217 offers up impactful Dolby Atmos sound from a slender bar.
Compact design, big sound
The DHT-S217 helps add some much needed "oomph" to your TV sound, with powerful audio that supports a virtual version of the immersive Dolby Atmos format. Its slim design also makes it easy to fit under most TVs, so you can snag spacious home theater sound without a bulky system taking up shelf (or floor) space.
There are two 3" subwoofers hidden in the bottom of the bar. These down-firing woofers deliver enough low-end impact that you might not need a separate subwoofer. For the bass fanatics out there, the bar has a subwoofer output to let you expand your system.
Easy music streaming
You can play your favorite tunes straight from your smartphone or tablet using the bar's built-in Bluetooth. There's also an auxiliary audio input if you want to plug in and pass audio to the bar the old-fashioned way.
4K and HDR pass-through
The HDMI connections on the bar allow 4K and HDR (High Dynamic Range) video passthrough, including Dolby Vision. This makes sure you're maintaining the high-contrast Ultra HD signal from a connected Blu-ray player or gaming console all the way to your TV.
Simple setup and control
You'll only need the one cable to connect up to your TV, with your choice of HDMI or optical (both included in the box). Pop that in and plug into your AC and you're ready to rock. You can control the sound bar with the included remote or your TV remote (the bar can learn the IR codes of most TV manufacturers).
If your remotes surreptitiously find themselves lost in the cushions of your couch, never fear — there are controls on top of the sound bar itself too.
- slim 2.1-channel sound bar with integrated subwoofers for impactful bass
- supports Dolby Atmos for virtual surround sound
- built-in decoding for Dolby® Digital, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus
- built-in Bluetooth lets you stream music directly from your phone
- six drivers powered by a built-in amplifier
- two 3-1/2" x 1-5/8" mid-range drivers
- two 1" dome tweeters
- two down-firing 3" woofers
- four sound modes: movie, night, music, and pure
- pure mode removes sound processing and other adjustments for unfiltered listening
- Denon Dialog Enhancer boosts vocal clarity without changing overall volume
- 1 HDMI input, 1 HDMI output (cable included)
- supports Enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC)
- supports 4K/HDR pass-through
- optical digital audio input (cable included)
- 3.5mm minijack input
- mono-RCA subwoofer output
- wall-mountable with rear keyhole slots
- includes remote control
- can learn the IR codes used by several major TV manufacturers (e.g. Sony, LG, Samsung), allowing you to control the sound bar with your TV remote
- dimensions (measured by Crutchfield): 35-1/16"W x 2-5/8"H x 4-3/4"D
- weight: 7.94 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # DHTS217BKE3
What's in the box:
- Active soundbar speaker
- 58" AC power cord
- Remote control (RC-1251)
- Two "AAA" batteries
- 58" HDMI cable
- 6' Optical digital cable
- 2 Wall-mount spacers
- Quick Start Guide
- Safety Instructions
- Warranty Sheet
- Wall-Mount Template
- "Caution on Using Batteries" note
Denon DHT-S217 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Denon DHT-S217
Features & specs
|Number Of Channels||2.1|
|Virtual Surround||Movie Mode|
|Optical Digital Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||None|
|HDMI ARC Input||Yes|
|HDMI eARC Input||Yes|
|3.5mm Stereo Analog Inputs||1|
|RCA Stereo Analog Inputs||None|
|USB Type-A Input||No|
|Tweeter||1" Dome (2)|
|Midrange||3.5" x 1.6" Cone (2)|
|Woofer||3" Cone (2)|
|System Frequency Response||Not Given|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||Not given|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||N/A|
|HDMI Video Pass-through Resolution||4K|
|HDR Video Compatible||Yes|
|Control by App||N/A|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Learns TV Remote||Yes|
|Bluetooth Connectivity||Built-in 5.0|
|Bluetooth Audio Playback||Yes|
|Bluetooth Transmitter Mode||No|
|Online Music Sources||None|
|Files on Your Network||No|
|Built-in Wi-Fi Version||None|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Sound Bar Size (inches)||2-5/8H x35-1/16W x 4-3/4D|
|Sound Bar Weight||7.94 lbs|
|Subwoofer Size (inches)||No Subwoofer|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Active Soundbar Speaker: The Denon DHT-S217 active soundbar speaker features a 2.1ch configuration with two front-firing 1" dome tweeters, two front-firing 3.5" x 1.6" midrange drivers, and dual down-firing 3" cone subwoofers. The DHT-S217 delivers a full-range 2.1ch audio experience that will fill your room with crystal-clear highs, accurate midrange, and deep bass. You can adjust the DHT-S217's built-in subwoofer level independently from the soundbar's overall volume level.
Dolby Atmos: Dolby Atmos creates powerful, immersive audio with sound that comes from all directions (including overhead) to fill your home cinema with astonishing clarity, richness, detail, and depth. Dolby Atmos brings to life a movie's soundtrack with sound that flows all around you in three-dimensional space to completely immerse you in the action, heightening your cinematic experience. The Denon DHT-S217 delivers a virtual 2.1ch Dolby Atmos surround sound experience from a one-piece soundbar system.
- The Denon DHT-S217 also supports Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, and Dolby TrueHD.
- The Denon DHT-S217 does not support DTS, DTS-HD, or DTS:X.
Note: The Denon DHT-S217 soundbar is only 2.1 channels and lacks any dedicated center, surround or height channels. When in "Movie" mode, your movie soundtrack's center, surround, and overhead effect channels are mixed with the soundbar's left and right channels to create a matrixed 3D soundfield for Dolby Atmos and other compatible Dolby Digital multichannel audio formats.
Sound Adjustments: The Denon DHT-S217 offers three preset Sound Modes, a Dialog Enhancer mode, and a Pure Mode to tailor the system's sound to your preference and application.
- Sound Modes: With three different Sound Modes (Movie, Music, and Night), you can choose the perfect mode for content and occasion. The Movie mode lets you enjoy "theater-like" surround sound, while Music mode lets you enjoy a broad stereo soundstage for your music. Night mode compresses the dynamic range to make audio easier to hear at low volumes.
- Dialog Enhancer: There is also a Dialog Enhancer feature that improves dialog intelligibility without having to adjust the soundbar system's overall volume level; ideal for movies and TV shows. You can set the Dialog Enhancer to Low, Medium or High. It can be used along with any of the Sound Modes.
- Pure Mode: In addition, you can utilize the soundbar's Pure Mode to eliminate surround processing and remove any adjusted characteristics associated with Movie, Music, or Night modes, plus the dialog enhancer for a pure music listening experience.
HDMI 2.0b: Equipped with one HDMI input and one HDMI eARC output, the Denon DHT-S217 incorporates an advanced video section that features the HDMI 2.0b specification; including support for 4K/60 Hz Ultra-HD video with HDCP 2.2 compatibility (a requirement for 4K Ultra HD copy-protected content), HDR (High Dynamic Range), and eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel).
- 4K/60Hz + HDCP 2.2: The Denon DHT-S217 supports up to 4K (3840x2160 pixels) video @ 60 frames per second on all of its HDMI inputs and output. It will also pass a 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p video signals via HDMI. There is no video resolution upscaling. Both of the soundbar's HDMI jacks support HDCP 2.2, which fully complies with the latest copyright protection standard for 4K video transmission.
- HDR (High Dynamic Range): The DHT-S217 supports High Dynamic Range video - including HDR10 and Dolby Vision. High Dynamic Range video provides enhanced picture quality by simultaneously enabling greater detail for both the dark and bright parts of an image. HDR reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, creating greater contrast. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth.
- eARC (Audio Return Channel): The soundbar's HDMI output supports eARC, which allows the audio to be sent from your compatible TV to the soundbar system through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your TV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television. eARC offers support for uncompressed audio formats like Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Atmos - where standard ARC was limited to Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, and DTS. Your TV will also need to support eARC or ARC for this feature to work. Some newer TVs will support eARC, but most older TVs only support ARC.
Digital & Analog Inputs: In addition to HDMI connectivity, the Denon DHT-S217 is outfitted with an optical (toslink) digital input and analog stereo minijack (3.5mm) audio inputs.
- Optical (Toslink): For TVs without ARC or eARC via HDMI, you can connect the Denon DHT-S217 via its optical (toslink) digital input. These digital input support 2ch PCM and 5.1ch Dolby Digital (not compatible with DTS).
- Stereo Minijack (3.5mm): Additionally, Denon has included a stereo analog minijack (3.5mm) input jack that lets you connect the DHT-S217 to your TV without ARC/eARC or a digital output. This connection only supports 2ch PCM.
Note: The digital optical output of some flat-panel TVs only send an audio signal in 5.1ch when receiving Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or connected USB device; and will output only 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, or RCA (like your Blue-ray/DVD player or satellite/cable box).
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The Denon DHT-S217 features built-in Bluetooth 5.0 with support for wireless audio streaming (A2DP 1.3). You'll be able to wirelessly streaming stored music, music apps, and other audio content on your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone, tablet, laptop, or desktop computer to the soundbar system. You will still control playback and view song/artist/album information from your Bluetooth source device. You can pair multiple devices with the Denon soundbar system, but only one device can be connected and used for playback at a time. The system has a Bluetooth wireless range of 32.8'.
Note: The DHT-S217 does not support Bluetooth hands-free communication for making and answering phone calls.
Mono-Sub Output: The Denon DHT-S217 active sound features a mono-RCA sub output for adding a powered subwoofer (sold separately - see Accessories Tab). The mono-RCA sub out does not feature a low-pass crossover. Make sure your powered subwoofer has its own variable low-pass crossover setting. The DHT-S217 soundbar's built-in subwoofers will continue to play even after the connection of a powered sub.
Remote Control: The included IR remote control provides wireless operation of the Denon DHT-S217 soundbar system. The DHT-S217 can also be programmed to work with your television's IR remote control and also supports HDMI CEC.
- TV Control: Thanks to preset IR codes and IR remote learning capability, you can operate the volume level of your Denon DHT-S217 with your TV's IR remote control. Compatible TVs include Samsung, LG, Sony, and Vizio.
- HDMI Control: You can switch off the power, switch input source and adjust the volume of this system using your TV's remote control over an HDMI connection. Your TV also needs to be compatible with the HDMI control function. This function may not operate due to connected devices or settings.
Mounting Options: The active soundbar speaker of the DHT-S217 can be table-top mounted or wall mounted. There are built-in keyhole slots on the back of the soundbar to wall-mount the speaker. The soundbar speaker should be centered left-to-right with the screen, and ideally no more than a few inches above or below.
Power Requirements: The Denon DHT-S217 active soundbar speaker will need to be plugged into an AC wall outlet or surge protector (sold separately). It comes with a detachable 58" AC power cord.
Note: When the Auto Standby function is turn on, the active soundbar speaker will automatically go into Standby Mode if there is not audio signal or not operation for approximately 20 minutes.
5 questions already asked
Very good soundbar with HDMI passthru. Doesn't unnaturally increase the mid bass. Easy to set up and pair with other remotes. Came with cables and appears well constructed.
Eric from Bay City, MI