About the Denon DHT-S517
Detailed home theater sound from Denon
Detailed home theater sound from Denon
Denon's striking DHT-S517 sound bar gives you an easy way to enjoy premium TV sound. It's a great alternative for rooms where you can't — or just don't want to — install a traditional home theater system with receiver and separate speakers.
This bar uses a powerful front-firing driver array, upward-firing speakers, and a punchy powered subwoofer to deliver a pure home theater experience. As an added bonus, it even has built-in Bluetooth for streaming your favorite music tracks, podcasts, and more.
Stout drivers that bring your flicks to life
On either side of the DHT-S517's front panel, there's a 1" tweeter and unique 4.7" x 1.6" racetrack-shaped driver. Together, those drivers provide engaging front left- and right-channel sound effects. In the middle of the sound bar is a 1" full-range driver that acts as your center channel speaker to bring dialogue and on-screen effects to life.
There are two 2-1/2" upward-firing height channel speakers on top that reflect sound off your ceiling and down onto your listening position. That means atmospheric sounds like thunder and rain, and overhead effects like jets and helicopters, will create a 3D soundstage in your room to enhance your cinematic immersion.
Rounding things out, the included subwoofer connects wirelessly to the sound bar through a simple pairing process. It uses a 5-1/4" woofer powered by a 100-watt internal amplifier to deliver tight, detailed bass.
Enhanced dialogue and unique listening modes
There are several audio adjustment features built into the DHT-S517 that help you tailor its sound to your own liking. If you're like me and have trouble discerning voices above the bangs and booms of an action sequence, this bar has you covered with Denon's Dialogue Enhancer feature. It cleans up dialogue, even during loud scenes, and makes voices more prevalent in the mix. There are three levels of dialogue enhancement to choose from. The sound bar even lets you turn the dialogue volume up without raising the overall volume of the rest of the speakers.
There are also three sound modes to select from — "Movie", "Night", and "Music" — to help you get the right sound for the occasion. Speaking of music, Denon also included a "Pure Mode" specifically for your tunes. It eliminates any surround sound processing and other sound tweaks, which results in your music being heard without coloration or processing.
Denon designed this sound bar to be super-easy to set up. After connecting it to your TV via an HDMI cable, there's not much else to do. The DHT-S517's HDMI port supports eARC and HDMI-CEC, so you can control the sound bar's volume with your TV remote. The rear panel also sports an HDMI, optical digital, and 3.5mm auxiliary input for hardwiring other sources, like your computer, Blu-ray player, CD player, or smartphone.
The sound bar can be placed neatly beneath your TV if you've got the space. Or you can use the rear keyhole slots for easy wall-mounting.
- 3.1.2-channel powered sound bar and wireless subwoofer system
- built-in Bluetooth for music streaming from compatible devices
- built-in decoding for Dolby® Digital, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, and Dolby Atmos
Sound bar specs:
- seven-driver array delivers powerful home theater sound
- two 4.7" x 1.6" racetrack-shaped midrange drivers
- two 1" tweeters
- one 1" full-range center channel driver
- two 2-1/2" upward-firing Atmos-channel speakers
- built-in 50-watt amplifier
- Movie, Night, and Music listening modes
- Dialogue Enhancer raises volume of voices to make them more intelligible
- dialogue volume can be raised independently from the rest of the drivers
- remote control included
- rear keyhole brackets for easy wall-mounting
- dimensions (measured by Crutchfield): 41-5/16"W x 2-5/16"H x 3-13/16"D
- weight: 5.5 lbs.
Wireless subwoofer specs:
- 5-1/4" woofer powered by 100-watt amplifier
- connects wirelessly to sound bar for flexible placement
- dimensions (measured by Crutchfield): 6-3/4"W x 14-9/16"H x 12-15/16"D
- weight: 9.5 lbs.
Connections and other info:
- 1 HDMI input, 1 HDMI output (one cable included)
- supports both ARC (Audio Return Channel) and eARC (enhanced Audio Return Channel)
- optical digital input (cable included)
- 3.5mm auxiliary input for connecting external analog sources
- auto power off feature turns system off after a period of no signal
- TV remote can be used to control volume
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # DHTS517
What's in the box:
- Active soundbar speaker
- Wireless powered subwoofer
- Two 58" AC power cords
- Remote control (RC-1245)
- CR2025 3V battery (pre-installed in remote)
- 58" HDMI cable
- 6' Optical digital cable
- 2 Wall-mount spacers
- Quick Start Guide
- Safety Instructions
- Warranty Sheet
- Wall-Mount Template
Denon DHT-S517 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Denon DHT-S517
Features & specs
|Number Of Channels||3.1.2|
|Virtual Surround||Movie Mode|
|Optical Digital Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||None|
|HDMI ARC Input||Yes|
|HDMI eARC Input||Yes|
|3.5mm Stereo Analog Inputs||1|
|RCA Stereo Analog Inputs||None|
|USB Type-A Input||Yes|
|Tweeter||1" Dome (3)|
|Midrange||2.625" Up-Firing (2)|
|Woofer||4.75"x1.625" Cone (2)|
|Enclosure||Sealed (bar),Ported (sub)|
|System Frequency Response||Not Given|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||50|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||100|
|HDMI Video Pass-through Resolution||4K|
|HDR Video Compatible||Yes|
|Control by App||No|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Learns TV Remote||Yes|
|Bluetooth Connectivity||Built-in 5.0|
|Online Music Sources||None|
|Files on Your Network||No|
|Built-in Wi-Fi Version||None|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Sound Bar Size (inches)||2-5/16H x 41-5/16W x 3-13/16D|
|Sound Bar Weight||5.5 lbs|
|Subwoofer Size (inches)||14-9/16H x 6-3/4W x 12-15/16D|
|Subwoofer Weight||9.5 lbs|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||2 Years|
3.1.2Ch System: The Denon DHT-S517 delivers an immersive 3.1.2ch Dolby Atmos surround sound experience from a two speaker setup, consisting of an active soundbar and wireless powered sub. Tuned by the Denon's sound master engineers, the DHT-S517 lets you enjoy enhanced bass, crystal clear dialog, and enveloping sound.
- Active Soundbar Speaker: The DHT-S517's active soundbar speaker utilizes a 7 driver array with dedicated front, center, and height channels that are powered by a built-in amplifier. The discrete center channel consists of a single 1" full-range driver, while the left and right front channels each consists of a 1" dome tweeter and 4.75" x 1.625" midrange driver. The dedicated left and right height channels each consist of a 2.5" full-range driver. Because there are no dedicated surround channels, surround audio information is mixed into the front and height channels for simulated surround sound.
- Wireless Powered Sub: The included wireless powered sub employs a built-in amplifier to drive its front-firing 5.25" woofer inside a bass reflex enclosure with a rear-firing port. The wireless powered subwoofer delivers powerful deep bass with low distortion thanks to precision DSP audio tuning. You can increase or decrease the level of bass output from the powered sub without affecting the overall volume level of the system.
Note: The active soundbar speaker and wireless powered sub come already paired and synced from the factory. If for some reason the soundbar and sub lose wireless connectivity, follow the instructions in the Owner's Manual to re-connect them.
Dolby Atmos: Dolby Atmos creates powerful, immersive audio with sound that comes from all directions (including overhead) to fill your home cinema with astonishing clarity, richness, detail, and depth. Dolby Atmos brings to life a movie's soundtrack with sound that flows all around you in three-dimensional space to completely immerse you in the action, heightening your cinematic experience. The Denon DHT-S517 delivers a 3.1.2ch Dolby Atmos surround sound experience from its active soundbar speaker and wireless powered subwoofer.
- The Denon DHT-S517 also supports Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, and Dolby TrueHD.
- The Denon DHT-S517 does not support DTS, DTS-HD, or DTS:X.
Sound Adjustments: The Denon DHT-S517 offers three preset Sound Modes, a Dialog Enhancer mode, and a Pure Mode to tailer the system's sound to your preference and application.
- Sound Modes: With three different Sound Modes (Movie, Music, and Night), you can choose the perfect mode for content and occasion. The Movie mode lets you enjoy "theater-like" surround sound, while Music mode lets you enjoy a broad stereo soundstage for your music. Night mode compresses the dynamic range to make audio easier to hear at low volumes.
- Dialog Enhancer: There is also a Dialog Enhancer feature that improves dialog intelligibility without having to adjust the soundbar system's overall volume level; ideal for movies and TV shows. You can set the Dialog Enhancer to Low, Medium or High. It can be used along with any of the Sound Modes.
- Pure Mode: In addition, you can utilize the soundbar's Pure Mode to eliminate surround processing and remove any adjusted characteristics associated with Movie, Music, or Night modes, plus the dialog enhancer for a pure music listening experience.
HDMI 2.0b: Equipped with one HDMI input and one HDMI eARC output, the Denon DHT-S517 incorporates an advanced video section that features the HDMI 2.0b specification; including support for 4K/60 Hz Ultra-HD video with HDCP 2.2 compatibility (a requirement for 4K Ultra HD copy-protected content), HDR (High Dynamic Range), and eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel).
- 4K/60Hz + HDCP 2.2: The Denon DHT-S517 supports up to 4K (3840x2160 pixels) video @ 60 frames per second on all of its HDMI inputs and output. It will also pass a 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p video signals via HDMI. There is no video resolution upscaling. Both of the soundbar's HDMI jacks support HDCP 2.2, which fully complies with the latest copyright protection standard for 4K video transmission.
- HDR (High Dynamic Range): The DHT-S517 supports High Dynamic Range video - including HDR10 and Dolby Vision. High Dynamic Range video provides enhanced picture quality by simultaneously enabling greater detail for both the dark and bright parts of an image. HDR reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, creating greater contrast. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth.
- eARC (Audio Return Channel): The soundbar's HDMI output supports eARC, which allows the audio to be sent from your compatible TV to the soundbar system through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your TV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television. eARC offers support for uncompressed audio formats like Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Atmos - where standard ARC was limited to Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, and DTS. Your TV will also need to support eARC or ARC for this feature to work. Some newer TVs will support eARC, but most older TVs only support ARC.
Digital & Analog Inputs: In addition to HDMI connectivity, the Denon DHT-S517 is outfitted with an optical (toslink) digital input and analog stereo minijack (3.5mm) audio inputs.
- Optical (Toslink): For TVs without ARC or eARC via HDMI, you can connect the Denon DHT-S517 via its optical (toslink) digital input. These digital input support 2ch PCM and 5.1ch Dolby Digital (not compatible with DTS).
- Stereo Minijack (3.5mm): Additionally, Denon has included a stereo analog minijack (3.5mm) input jack that lets you connect the DHT-S517 to your TV without ARC/eARC or a digital output. This connection only supports 2ch PCM.
Note: The digital optical output of some flat-panel TVs only send an audio signal in 5.1ch when receiving Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or connected USB device; and will output only 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, or RCA (like your Blue-ray/DVD player or satellite/cable box).
USB-A Port: The Denon DHT-S517 is equipped with a rear-panel USB-A 2.0 port for connection of a USB MSC (mass storage class) device, such as a USB thumbdrive or HDD. A HDD (hard disk drive) may require external AC power. The USB device should be formatted in FAT 16 or FAT32. The system supports playback of a variety of music files (including MP3, WMA, AAC, FLAC, and WAV - up to 48kHz). USB devices that can be charged via USB can be charged when plugged into the soundbar's USB-A port (5V/1A); even in standby mode.
Note: The USB-A port is not compatible with Apple or Android devices, laptops or computers, and USB hubs or card-readers.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The Denon DHT-S517 features built-in Bluetooth 5.0 with support for wireless audio streaming (A2DP 1.3). You'll be able to wirelessly streaming stored music, music apps, and other audio content on your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone, tablet, laptop, or desktop computer to the soundbar system. You will still control playback and view song/artist/album information from your Bluetooth source device. You can pair multiple devices with the Denon soundbar system, but only one device can be connected and used for playback at a time. The system has a Bluetooth wireless range of 32.8'.
Note: The DHT-S517 does not support Bluetooth hands-free communication for making and answering phone calls.
Remote Control: The included IR remote control provides wireless operation of the Denon DHT-S517 soundbar and subwoofer system. The DHT-S517 can also be programmed to work with your television's IR remote control and also supports HDMI CEC.
- TV Control: Thanks to preset IR codes and IR remote learning capability, you can operate the volume level of your Denon DHT-S517 with your TV's IR remote control. Compatible TVs include Samsung, LG, Sony, and Vizio.
- HDMI Control: You can switch off the power, switch input source and adjust the volume of this system using your TV's remote control over an HDMI connection. Your TV also needs to be compatible with the HDMI control function. This function may not operate due to connected devices or settings.
Mounting Options: The active soundbar speaker of the DHT-S517 can be table-top mounted or wall mounted. There are built-in keyhole slots on the back of the soundbar to wall-mount the speaker. The included wireless powered subwoofer should be placed on the floor (including hard or carpeted surfaces).
- Soundbar Placement: The soundbar speaker should be centered left-to-right with the screen, and ideally no more than a few inches above or below. If positioning the soundbar below the TV, make sure there is adequate space between the soundbar's upfiring drivers and the TV to avoid obstruction of height effects. The soundbar should be positioned 2" below the TV, if the TV's mounting depth is less than 2.5". The soundbar should be positioned 4" below the TV, if the TV's mounting depth is 2.5"-to 4". The soundbar should be positioned 7.5" below the TV, if the TV's mounting depth is more than 4".
- Subwoofer Placement: You can place the wireless powered subwoofer practically anywhere in the room; within a wireless range of 25'. For the best sound, place the subwoofer near a wall or corner, and on the same side of the room as the soundbar. The port on the back of the subwoofer cabinet should be unobstructed.
Power Requirements: The Denon DHT-S517's active soundbar speaker and wireless powered subwoofer will need to be plugged into an AC wall outlet or surge protector (sold separately). Each comes with a detachable 58" AC power cord.
Note: When the Auto Standby function is turn on, the system will automatically go into Standby Mode if there is not audio signal or not operation for approximately 20 minutes.