About the Denon D-M40
This compact music system is perfect for high-quality listening in your den, bedroom, or office. Denon's D-M40 delivers surprisingly warm, spacious, and detailed sound from CDs, FM radio stations, and your iPod® or iPhone®. It also features Denon's "simple and straight" design concept — short signal paths that preserve signal purity and reduce distortion for clean, accurate audio reproduction.
Lots of listening options, and better sound from your iPod
The D-M40's built in FM tuner features 40 presets for your favorite stations. The built-in disc player handles standard music CDs, as well as home-burned MP3 and WMA discs. The front-panel USB port means you can plug in your iPod or iPhone using the cable supplied with your player, and control it using the Denon remote. This direct connection also bypasses the iPod's internal digital-to-analog converter (DAC). That means you'll be sending music signals digitally to the D-M40's audiophile-quality DACs for richer, more detailed sound.
You can also plug a thumb drive loaded with music files into the USB port and enjoy your favorite tunes that way. And with three auxiliary inputs, one analog RCA and two optical digital, you can connect additional components like a DVD player, game system, or the digital audio output from a TV to get better sound.
Small speakers, big sound
Speakers are the weak link for most desktop systems, but not the D-M40. Each cabinet boasts an ultra-stiff dual-layer woofer that resists flexing to give you deep, accurate bass and clean midrange free of coloration. Soft dome tweeters supply smooth, silky highs with plenty of detail and clarity. Both the speakers and the component block sport large, high-quality terminals to accommodate audiophile-grade speaker wire, so you can upgrade the wire that comes with the system if you choose. Denon also included a built-in, high-performance heaphone amplifier for richer, more dynamic sound when you want to listen privately.
- front-loading single-CD player
- plays CDs, audio CD-Rs and CD-RWs, MP3 & WMA CDs
- front-panel USB input allows direct connection for iPod®/iPhone® music listening (bypasses player's internal digital-to-analog converter for better sound)
- USB port supports: MP3, WMA, FLAC, WAV, and AAC file formats
- FM stereo tuner with 40 presets
- built-in clock with alarm and sleep timer function
- 30 watts x 2 into 6 ohms (at 1 kHz)
- high-quality headphone amplifier with minijack output
- two optical (Toslink) digital audio inputs for connecting a TV or other digital devices with optical output
- RCA analog audio inputs
- mono output for optional powered subwoofer
- 2-way speakers with 4-3/4" woofers and 1" soft dome tweeters
- high-quality binding post connectors on speakers and component block
- uses only 0.3 W of power in standby mode
- remote control (operates D-M40 and USB connected iPod/iPhone)
- component block: 8-5/16"W x 4-9/16"H x 12-3/16"D
- speakers: 5-3/4"W x 9-3/8"H x 9-1/4"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # DM40S-BK
What's in the box:
- Component block
- 2 Bookshelf loudspeakers
- 2 Grilles (pre-installed)
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control (RC-1204)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- FM wire antenna
- AM loop antenna
- Two lengths of 6.5' speaker wire (bare speaker wire on each end)
- 2 Foam inserts
- Eight self-adhesive feet
- Owner's Manual on CD-ROM
- Speaker Owner's Manual
- Quick Start Guide
- Warranty Iinformation
- Safety Instructions
Denon D-M40 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Denon D-M40
30W + 30W Amplifier w/ Robust Power Circuit: The Denon D-M40S is equipped with a 30 watt x 2-channel high power amplifier for serious HiFi quality sound. The Denon D-M40S is also equipped with robust power supplies that feature dual power transformers to provide a stable supply of electric current, resulting in lower impedance handling and greater power output.
Simple & Straight Circuit Design: The Denon D-M40S gives you high quality sound based on the "Simple & Straight" concept. Circuitry is uncomplicated, signal paths are short, and all adverse influences on sound quality have been minimized. The circuit design and the way the chassis is built ensure the sound you hear is faithful to the original performance.
Triple Noise Reduction Design: In an audio component where various circuits, boards, and wire layouts can influence each other, it is not possible to obtain satisfying specifications or sound simply by strengthening the power amp circuit. Denon has therefore eliminated three sources of noise to ensure that the sound is as clean as possible. Distortion from the input selector, electronic volume and power amp has been suppressed to improve the signal-to-noise ratio and produce an even smoother, dramatic sound.
- Short signal paths, to optimize sound quality and minimize noise.
- Thorough separation of digital and analog sections.
- Precision signal ground circuit, to preserve signal purity.
32-Bit/192kHz DAC: The Denon D-M40S HiFi component system employs a high-precision 32-bit/192kHz DAC (digital-to-analog converter) to reproduce high-definition sound.
Bookshelf Loudspeakers: The included bookshelf loudspeakers have been designed with Denon HiFi craftsmanship and European sound engineering. For best performance a high quality 4.75" midrange/midbass driver has been combined with a high-definition 1" tweeter and a crossover network with selected components inside a bass reflex enclosure to reproduce smooth, natural sound.
- Two-Way Driver Design: The bookshelf loudspeakers feature a two-way driver design with a 1" tweeter and 4.75" midrange/midbass woofer. The soft-dome tweeter feature extended response to 40 kHz, along with wide dispersion and high power handling thanks to the advanced coil and dome air venting system. The powerful cone woofer feature Denon's Double Layer convex cone technology, which provides deep bass and clear mid-range free of coloration caused by cone flex distortion, and also features air venting for optimum cooling during extended passages of high volume.
- Bass Reflex Enclosure: The bookshelf loudspeakers employ a bass reflex enclosure with a rear-firing port for greater efficiency and bass response. Foam port inserts are supplied to seal the cabinet for tighter, more accurate bass. The speakers feature a black wood-grain vinyl finish and a black cloth removable grille.
- Binding Post Terminals: Each speaker features two binding post speaker terminals that will accommodate pin-connectors, single banana plugs, and bare wire (up to 14-gauge). The speaker's binding posts are color-coded (red/black) for easy identification between positive and negative.
- Mounting Options: The bookshelf loudspeakers can be simply placed on a tablet-top, shelf, or stand. The optional PinPoint heavy duty side-grip wall-mounting bracket (121AM41B, sold separately) can be used to wall mount the speakers (the speakers do not feature a keyhole slot or threaded insert).
Audio Adjustments: The Denon D-M40S offers various audio adjustments to tailor the sound to your music taste.
- Optimizing Filter: An optimizing filter suited specifically for the properties of the included loudspeakers can be activated.
- Tone Control: The D-M40S feature separate bass and treble tone controls (-10 to +10dB) for adjusting the tone of the system to your taste.
- Super Dynamic Bass: The Super Dynamic Bass (SDB) circuit produces powerful bass sound even when the volume of the system is low.
- Source Direct: The Source Direct feature is provided for turning off the tone control and SDB circuitry to make the system's response naturally flat.
Audio Outputs: The Denon D-M40 offers binding-post terminals to connect a single pair of speakers, a mono-sub output to add a powered sub, and a front-panel headphone jack for private headphone listening.
- Speaker Outputs: The D-M40S is fitted with four binding-post speaker terminals that will accept pin-connectors, single-banana plugs, and bar wire (up to 14-gauge).
- Subwoofer Output: The Denon D-M40S features a mono-RCA subwoofer output for connecting a power subwoofer to the system for additional bass.
- Headphone Output: The D-M40S is equipped with a front-panel 3.5mm headphone output for private listening. Once a headphone is connected, the system's speakers will automatically mute.
CD Player: The Denon D-M40S features a front-loading, single tray CD player that supports playback of CD-Audio & CD-Text discs (12 or 8cm). The D-M40S also supports playback of MP3 and WMA files recorded on CD-R and CD-RW discs. A low gravity CD mechanism is used to reduce vibration. The unit can be setup so playback starts automatically when a disc is inserted.
AM/FM Tuner: The D-M40S features a built-in AM/FM tuner and comes supplied with an FM wire antenna and AM loop antenna. The built-in AM/FM tuner supports up to 40 station presets in any combination. You can manually tune your presets or have the unit automatically select your presets using the area's strongest stations. You can label each preset station with an 8 character name.
Front-Panel USB Port: The Denon D-M40S is equipped with a front-panel USB (type-A) port that allows you to enjoy a variety of music files from a USB mass storage class memory device; such as your Android smartphone (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only), digital audio player, or USB thumbdrive. Supported music files included MP3, WMA, WAV, and FLAC. You can use the system's front-panel display and remote control to navigate your stored music files on your connected USB memory device. Song/artist information will display on HiFi system's front-panel LCD. USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the unit's USB port (5V/1A); even in standby mode.
Note: The HiFi system's USB port cannot be used with a USB hub or computer. It also does not support newer Android operating systems that are not listed above.
iPod/iPhone Direct: The Denon D-M40S supports digital music playback from an iPod, iPhone, or iPad using its front-panel USB (type-A) port. Simply plug your compatible Apple device into the receiver's front-panel USB port, using the cable that came with your iPod/iPhone/iPad. Stored music and music apps from your connected Apple device can be played through the HiFi speaker system, bypassing the iPod/iPhone D/A converter for better sound quality. Basic playback functions of your Pod/iPhone/iPad can be controlled by the receiver's remote, or you can continue to use the Apple device's clickwheel or touchscreen. Song/artist information from stored music and music apps on your iPod/iPhone will display on the system's front-panel LCD. Your Apple iPod/iPhone's battery will be charged while connected to the system (max. 1A). This unit will not charge the iPad.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Denon D-M40S is "made for iPod/iPhone" and supports the following iPod/iPhone model functions (as of 7/8/2015).
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Optical Digital Inputs: The Denon D-M40S features two optical (toslink) digital inputs for connection of your TV, satellite/cable box, or Blu-ray/DVD player. The digital input will only accept a 2ch PCM signal (not Dolby Digital/DTS).
Analog Stereo RCA Input: The Denon D-M40S is equipped with a set of rear-panel RCA stereo audio inputs for connecting an external home component audio source.
FL Display: The unit's front panel features a two line dot matrix fluorescent display, which provides indications of source and function status. The D-M40S's comprehensive FL display identifies source, music tracks, broadcast stations, and 12-hour clock. The unit's display brightness can be adjusted in four steps: 100%, 70%, 40%, or Off.
Remote Control: The Denon D-M40S comes supplied with an easy-to-use IR wireless remote control. The included remote control unit features ergonomically designed buttons, with logical groupings for easy use. The keys of the remote have been laid out so that various media can be easily played both intuitively and visually. The buttons for the main operating sequences, such as Play, Skip, Stop, or Volume Up/Down, have been placed near each other for smooth, quick finger operation.
Playback Controls: The Denon D-M40S features Repeat (Single/All/Folder), Random (All), and Program (up to 25 tracks) playback, as well as direct track/folder access (using remote control). Program playback is not possible with MP3/WMA/WAV/FLAC files or connected Apple devices. Direct track access is not available for iPod/iPhone/iPad.
Timers: The unit is equipped with a convenient timer function, which can be set up for Once, Daily, and Sleep modes.
- Everyday Timer: Playback starts (the power turns on) and stops (the power turns off) at the set time each day; you can select the timer playback source
- Once Timer: Playback starts (the power turns on) and stops (the power turns off) only once at the set time; you can select the timer playback source.
- Sleep Timer: Use this function to automatically switch the power to the standby mode after as specific amount of time (minutes). The sleep timer can be set up to 90 minutes, in 10 minute increments.
AC Power: The D-M40S is powered by standard household AC current using the supplied 6.5' AC power cord. The power consumption of the unit when in standby is approximately 0.3 watts.
Auto Standby: This unit will automatically enter the standby mode after approximately 30 continuous minutes of stop mode with no operation.
Last Function Memory: This features stores the settings as they were directly before the standby mode was set. When the power is turned back on, the settings are restored to as they were directly before the standby mode was set.
The Denon D-M40 replaces these items
8 questions already asked