About the Denon DRA-697CIHD
Denon's DRA-697CIHD delivers great stereo sound and flexible entertainment possibilities. Your favorite music will jump to life, thanks to 100 watts per channel of high-quality Denon amplification. An optional iPod® dock makes it easy to integrate your player into your system. Plus, this receiver's built-in HD Radio tuner gives you access to the new, free digital programming that many AM and FM stations now broadcast. Digital FM signals offer sound approaching CD quality, while digital AM broadcasts give you sound similar to the current FM standard.
Renowned Denon performance
Advanced engineering and high-quality construction are the hallmarks of Denon receivers. The '697CIHD features an exclusive Denon design that isolates delicate low-level signals from the receiver's high-powered amplifier circuitry. This smart configuration helps the receiver maintain maximum signal purity and reproduce your music with enhanced clarity and precision.
Versatile connections for multi-room audio
The receiver's back panel offers enough inputs to hook up a total of six components, including a turntable, and three audio/video components. Three-room/two-source capability gives you flexible whole-house entertainment options. You can enjoy one audio or video source in your main room while housemates watch or listen to another source in two additional rooms. (You'll need amplifiers or powered speakers for the second and third rooms.) Or, if you don't need to play multiple sources simultaneously, use the DRA-697CIHD's extra set of speaker outputs to power an additional pair of speakers in another room. With this simpler setup, you won't need to buy a second amplifier.
Add the optional Denon ASD-11R control dock to get more enjoyment from your iPod. You can listen to your digital music collection with the outstanding sound quality of the DRA-697CI and your best speakers. The dock also features an S-video output that lets you view your iPod's photos and videos on a TV. You can also use the receiver's remote to control your iPod while it's docked.
XM Satellite Radio compatibility
Tune in traditional AM/FM radio stations, or even enjoy exciting XM Satellite Radio programming on your system. Simply add an optional XM tuner kit and an XM subscription to access more than 170 digital channels of music, talk, news, and sports.
- 100 watts x 2 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD
- 4-ohm capability allows use with a wide range of speakers
- built-in HD Radio tuner
- XM Satellite Radio Ready (requires XM subscription XM tuner kit )
- iPod integration (requires optional Denon ASD-11R dock)
- Signal Level Divided Construction chassis
- Pure Direct mode bypasses tone, balance, and loudness controls for cleaner sound
- 3-room/2-source capability (composite video and stereo preamp outputs for 2nd and 3rd rooms)
- 56 AM/FM presets
- 3 audio (including phono) and 3 A/V (composite video) inputs
- front-panel and remote switching for 2 pairs of main speakers
- 1 mono RCA output for powered subwoofer
- preamp-out/main-in loop for system expansion
- RS-232C port for automated control systems
- detachable power cord
- binding post speaker connectors
- headphone jack
- multibrand remote for main room
- basic remotes for second and third room (requires a remote control extender, not included)
- separate antenna inputs for analog radio and HD Radio (antennas included)
- 17-1/8"W x 6-3/4"H x 17-1/2"D
- weight: 23 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # DRA697CIHD
What's in the box:
- AM/FM/Stereo receiver
- RC-1052 Wireless remote control with 2 "AA" batteries
- RC-1056 Zone 2/3 wireless remote control
- RC-1066 Zone 2/3 wireless remote control
- 4 "AAA" batteries
- 1 AM loop antenna
- 1 HD AM loop antenna
- 1 FM wire antenna
- 1 HD FM wire antenna
- 5' AC power cord
- Operating Instructions (English/French)
- "Upgraded version for HD" Operating Instructions
- Warranty sheet
- "Denon Service Network" sheet
- "Supplementary explanation on HD Radio broadcast reception conditions" sheet
Denon DRA-697CIHD reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Denon DRA-697CIHD
Features & specs
|Stereo RMS Power (watts)||100|
|THD in Stereo||0.08 %|
|Frequency Bandwidth (stereo)||20-20k Hz|
|Minimum Impedance||4 ohms|
|FM Sensitivity||11.2 dBf|
|Signal To Noise Ratio||98dB|
|Phono Signal to Noise Ratio||Not Given|
|Total Number of Zones||3|
|Inputs & Outputs|
|Ethernet Wired Network Port||---|
|Total Audio Inputs||3|
|Digital Audio Inputs||None|
|Speaker Output Pairs||2|
|Removable Power Cord||IEC 2-prong|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Overview: The Denon DRA-697H is a 2-channel stereo amplifier that not only features standard audio/video connections but also comes equipped with iPod, XM Satellite Radio, HD Radio, and dual zone capabilities.
High-Quality Power Amplifier: With 100 watts of power per channel (at 8 ohms, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.08% THD), the DRA-697H delivers solid, reliable audio performance even when driving both A and B speaker systems at the same time.
Signal Level Divided Construction Chassis Design: The circuit handling low-level signals has been divided into separate blocks to ensure that influences from these signals on each other are held to an absolute minimum. This new chassis design, known as the Signal Level Divided Construction (SLDC), preserves the purity of the signal, allowing it to be reproduced with much greater fidelity and clarity.
CI (Custom Integration): Custom Integration is Denon's certification to custom installers that models marked with the "CI" stamp have advanced connectivity and control features often required for custom home integration and theater applications using premium control systems.
Built-In HD AM/FM Tuner: The receiver features an HD AM/FM tuner for HD Radio broadcasts in your area. HD Radio technology provides higher quality sound than conventional broadcasts and allows reception of data services. HD Radio provides FM broadcasts that are equal to CD sound quality and AM broadcasts that are as good as analog FM stereo broadcasts. HD Radio also provides a variety of data services, including text-based information such as song title, artist name, album name, genre, etc. In addition to conventional AM loop and FM wire antennas, this unit includes an HD AM loop antenna and an HD FM wire antenna; a total of four antennas must be connected to receive conventional and HD radio broadcasts. The Denon DRA-697H offers the following HD Radio functions:
- Multicasting: In addition to conventional broadcasts, with HD Radio broadcasting it is possible to choose from up to 8 multicast programs (HD1 to HD8 and analog). There are also data programs for each program.
- Auto Preset Memory: The receiver is equipped with this feature to automatically search for HD and analog FM broadcast stations and store them in the HD Radio preset memory. You can store a total of 56 AM/FM broadcasts in tuner blocks A through G. 8 stations can be stored in each block.
- Auto Tuning: The DRA-697H features an Auto tuning (tuning stops when an HD Radio or analog program in tuned in) and HD Auto tuning mode (tuning stops when an HD Radio program only is tuned in).
- HD Tuner Controls: The HD Radio source can be selected on the receiver with the Function dial or on the Zone2/Zone3 RC-1066 wireless remote control.
- HD Radio Specifications: Signal to Noise (FM = 80 dB, AM = 80 dB), Total Harmonic Distortion (FM = 0.005%, AM = 0.01%).
A and B Speakers: The receiver is equipped with both A and B speakers. You can play either pair of speakers or both pair of speakers at the same time.
Headphones: When you plug your headphones into the front headphone jack of this receiver, no sound is produced from the other speakers automatically.
Multi-Zone System: When the outputs of Zone 2 and/or Zone 3 Out terminals are wired and connected to separate power amplifiers installed in other rooms, different sources can be played in rooms other than the Main Zone in which this unit and the playback devices are installed. Not only can you supply audio into another room, Zone 2 and Zone 3 can also supply video into different rooms of your home. The audio and video connections for Zone 2 and Zone 3 are composite.
Audio Connections: The Denon DRA-697H is equipped with the following audio inputs and outputs.
- Phones (front-panel): Standard headphone jack
- CD Input: Stereo RCA jacks
- CD-R/Tape Input/Output: Stereo RCA jacks
- Speakers: Binding post outputs for front A and front B speakers (not 5-way, because a plastic collar prevents their use with spade lugs and they are positioned too far apart to be used with dual banana plugs)
- Subwoofer Pre-Out: Mono RCA connection for a powered subwoofer
- Main In: Stereo RCA connection used to accept signal from a pre-amp
- Pre-Out: Stereo RCA connection used to send signal to a power amp
Pure Direct: This mode reproduces the sound with extremely high quality. The audio signals do not pass through the tone circuits and the display is turned off so these components cannot affect the audio signal.
Loudness: You can turn the loudness function on when listening to music at low volume. The loudness feature enhances the low and high frequencies at low volumes so you can enjoy your music at any volume level.
Bass/Treble Control: You can adjust the Bass and Treble control independently from -10 dB to +10dB.
Tone Defeat: Turn the Tone Defeat feature "On" if you do not want the Bass and Treble to be adjustable.
Speaker Level Adjustment: You can adjust the sound level for the left and right speaker and the subwoofer individually from -12 dB to +12 dB. This is helpful when one of the speakers is further away from the listening location than the other.
Muting: You can turn the sound completely off temporarily to your speakers by selecting the Mute function.
Auto Preset Memory: This unit is equipped with a function for automatically searching for FM broadcast stations and storing them in the preset memory.
Preset Memory: You can store up to 56 broadcast stations. The stations are separated into 7 groups; 8 stations per group (A to G).
Simultaneous Recording: The signals of the source selected with the Input Selector are output simultaneously to the CD-R/Tape and VCR REC OUT terminals to make recording through the amplifier simple.
AC Outlets: 3 switched AC outlets, maximum total 120W 1Amp.
Last Function Memory: This unit is equipped with a last function memory, which stores the input and output setting conditions as they were immediately before the power was switched off.
Back-Up Memory: The unit is also equipped with a back-up memory. This function provides approximately one week of memory storage when the main unit's power switch is off and the power cord is disconnected.
Audio/Video Connections: The Denon DRA697H is equipped with the following audio/video inputs and outputs.
- DVD/VDP Input: Stereo RCA jacks and RCA composite video jack
- V.Aux Input: Stereo RCA jacks and RCA composite video jack
- VCR Input/Output: Stereo RCA jacks and RCA composite video jacks
- Phono Input: Stereo RCA jacks with ground screw
- Monitor Output: RCA composite video jack
Video Select Function: This function allows you to select a video source, and then select an alternate audio input source.
Dimmer: You can adjust the brightness of the display in three steps. The display can also be turned off.
Main Remote Control: The supplied IR wireless remote is a multibrand remote that can be programmed to operate other manufacture's equipment such as CD player, Tape player, VCR, DBS/Cable, DVD or TV. You can use the main remote to also operate Zone 2 and Zone 3.
Zone 2/3 Remote Control: The receiver also features an independent IR wireless remote control for Zone 2 and Zone 3 operation. Because the remote is an IR type remote, you must install IR emitters that plug into the DRA697H for the remote to be operational.
Remote Range: Both remote controls are IR so you must point the remote at the remote sensor. The remote control units can be used from a distance of approximately 23 feet at a horizontal angle of up to 30 degrees with respect to the sensor.
Punch Through Function: This feature allows the remote to operate the Play, Stop, Pause and Search functions for a CD, DVD, Tape, MD, or VCR when the remote is in the TV or DBS/Cable mode.
Room-to-Room Remote Control with Remote In/Out Terminals: External remote control equipment including IR re-transmitters and IR remote receivers, such as Denon's separately available C-616/617S/617W/618 IR devices, can be connected to the DRA-697H's IR remote input and output terminals.
XM Satellite Ready: The optional XM Direct 2 Home Tuner (220XHD2H1, sold separately) lets you enjoy XM Satellite Radio through the XM-ready receiver. Simply connect the XM Direct 2 Home Tuner to the XM jack on back of the receiver, place and aim the included antenna for optimum reception, and you are ready to start enjoying commercial-free music, plus live sports, news, talk, and exclusive entertainment.
Note: In addition to the XM Direct 2 Home Tuner and the XM-ready receiver, you will need a subscription to XM Satellite Radio to receive XM programming.
iPod Ready: When using a compatible iPod you must connect the iPod Control Dock (033ASD11RK or 033ASD51N, sold separately) to the Dock Control jack on back of the receiver with a mini-jack cable and assign the iPod to any Audio input on the amplifier. The iPod can be controlled using the buttons on the main unit and the remote control unit. The remote will control the following functions of the iPod in Browse Mode - Play/Stop, Fast Forward/Reverse, Track Search, Repeat (single/all tracks), Shuffle (song/album) You can also view photo and video data stored on a compatible iPod on your TV screen through the monitor output of the receiver.
Note: Your iPod must be equipped with slideshow/video function capability and the receiver must be connected to your TV through the monitor out for the video/photo function to work.