About the Denon HEOS 3 (Series 1)
Denon's whole-home wireless audio system starts here
Control your music throughout your home with the free HEOS app for Apple and Android.
Denon's whole-home wireless audio system starts here
Tons of tunes, available all the time, playing in any room, controlled wirelessly. That's what Denon's HEOS multi-room music system offers. The HEOS 3 is a compact wireless powered speaker that's perfect for a bedroom or office. Plug it in, download the free HEOS app to your Apple® or Android™ device, and you'll be listening to music in no time.
Listen to your music or stream from online services
HEOS offers no shortage of ways to listen to music. The free app will let you play music stored on your smartphone or tablet and create your own playlists. You can also access free online radio stations via TuneIn radio. If you're a Spotify®, TIDAL, SiriusXM, or Rhapsody subscriber, you'll have access to their huge music libraries, too. Pandora Internet radio also offers lots of choices for both free users and subscribers. Stay tuned as HEOS will be adding other popular online music services as well.
Stream from your computer, or pop in a USB memory stick
The HEOS 3 offers another easy way to play your digital music. You can stream music stored on your networked computer or network-attached storage (NAS) device via DLNA, so your entire digital library is at your fingertips and ready for playback. Or, load your files onto a USB thumb drive, pop it into the HEOS 3's rear-panel USB port, and select and play your tunes with the HEOS app. You can also stream these songs to other HEOS devices for multi-room playback. There's also a 3.5mm miniplug input so you can do the same with an iPod or other portable music player.
The HEOS 3 features two full-range speakers powered by dual Class D amplifiers (shown in Black).
Built-in Wi-Fi® for easy setup
Getting your HEOS speaker up and running is a snap. It works with your existing Wi-Fi network — no need to plug any device into your router. Once your HEOS 3 speaker is set up, it can communicate over Wi-Fi with your smartphone or tablet via the free HEOS app, as well as with other HEOS devices to play music throughout your home. Just download the app and follow the simple instructions. An included cable allows the app to automatically transfer your Wi-Fi settings from your device for fast, easy setup.
Denon's legendary sound quality
The HEOS 3 might be small, but it puts out a hearty amount of sound. Denon has a rich history of great-sounding stereo and home theater gear, and it shows in this speaker's performance. You get lots of high-frequency clarity, natural-sounding midrange, and punchy bass. The HEOS 3's ported enclosure helps enhance low-frequency response, for a surprising amount of kick from a speaker this compact.
Put it just about anywhere
The HEOS 3 was designed to fit on a shelf, desk, or dresser, or you can mount it on a wall with an optional bracket (not included). It can stand on its end or lie horizontally. Just use the app to configure the drivers properly based on your setup. You can even configure two HEOS 3 speakers for true stereo playback. The app also offers tone controls, so you can bump up the bass or tame the treble to your taste.
Check out all the HEOS products to create a whole-home audio system
HEOS 7 - The largest speaker in the HEOS family is great for large rooms and open floor-plans.
HEOS 5 - This midsized speaker is perfect for medium-sized rooms like a kitchen or bedroom.
HEOS 3 - Set up this compact HEOS speaker in a bedroom or office.
HEOS HomeCinema - Dramatically improve TV sound and play your music with this sound bar and wireless sub combo.
HEOS Amp - Add HEOS to any pair of speakers with this amplified player.
HEOS Link - Enjoy HEOS through your stereo system or with powered speakers.
HEOS Extend - Extend your Wi-Fi's reach with this wireless repeater.
- two built-in full-range speakers powered by dual Class D amplifiers
- built-in dual-band Wi-Fi allows connection to your wireless home network and wireless communication with other HEOS devices
- free app for Apple and Android devices offers easy Wi-Fi control, settings adjustments, and music selection and playback
- plays music stored on Apple and Android smartphones and tablets
- support for online music services, including Spotify®, TIDAL, Pandora®, SiriusXM, Rhapsody®, and TuneIn radio (subscription required for some services)
- DLNA support for streaming music from compatible networked computers and NAS drives
- multi-zone synchronous playback (same music plays in multiple zones simultaneously) or multi-stream playback (music individually selected for each player)
- easy setup using your smartphone or tablet with the HEOS app and a 3.5mm miniplug cable (included)
- plays MP3, WMA, AAC, FLAC, WAV files (future support for ALAC - Apple Lossless via firmware update); sampling rates up to 16-bit/48kHz
- not compatible with protected files with digital rights management (DRM)
- USB port for listening to music stored on a compatible thumb drive (FAT16 or FAT32 formats); music can be streamed to other HEOS devices
- 3.5mm input for connecting an iPod or other portable music player; music can be streamed to other HEOS devices
- configure two HEOS 3 speakers for stereo playback
- ported enclosure for enhanced low-frequency response
- side-panel volume and mute buttons
- bass and treble tone controls via HEOS app
- 1/4" threaded insert for wall mounting with an optional bracket (not included)
- Ethernet port for wired connection to your router (cable included)
- AC adapter included
- 10-3/4"W x 5-1/8"H x 6-1/2"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- requires high-speed Internet, Wi-Fi router and an Apple or Android smartphone or tablet
- MFR # Heos3BLACK
What's in the box:
- Network audio speaker
- AC power adapter (w/ attached 57" DC cord)
- AC plug insert
- 58" Ethernet cable
- 34" Proprietary minijack cable
- Quick Start Guide
- Safety Information
- Warranty Card
- Extended Protection Plan
Denon HEOS 3 (Series 1) reviews
Great speaker for the kitchen. Using it on top of the cabinets by itself,. I am purchasing a companion for left and right tereo sound. I have the HEOS 7 in the family room and that easily is enough speaker for a larger room.
Pros: Versatile size can use horizontal or vertical. So can fit in some areas that are tight. Can also screw onto a stand or support.. Good bass and sound for a med to small room. Works well with the wifi. HEOS App is good and I hope will develop with time. App lets you adjust bass/treble as well as left or right. Left and right are used with two similar HEOS speakers. Wifi works better than the blue tooth and farther range. Youtube videos helpful and easy to see.
Cons: Is a little pricey but received a good discount through Crutchfield. These are powered speakers, so location to hide the power chord can be a decisive factor in an area like a kitchen. Need a blue tooth adapter to use blue tooth.
1 of 1 found this helpful
The speaker is simple to setup with the Heos App. The sound is great. With multiple units, the house surround sounds is amazing.
0 of 0 found this helpful
This is my 3rd Heos 3 speaker. I have one in the bedroom and two in the living room. I get true stereo sound with the two speaker setup. The setup was very easy. Quality of sound from these speakers plays way above its size. If you have a good wifi system these speakers work great!
Pros: Great sounding speaker with clean mid and high range. Good low end for the size of speaker.
Cons: None for me.
0 of 0 found this helpful
I bought this for the kitchen, and being a Denon fan I chose it over the Sonos unit. It was easy to setup through the miniplug connector. It was easy to stream Tidal and Spotify, my main streaming music sources, and also my iTunes library. However, one of the main reasons I bought it was to listen to the news in the morning through my KCRW app on my iPhone and it turns out that Denon doesn't support Airplay. So I hooked it up to an old Airport express to use aux in for airplay. That worked to. However, in the end, I found the sound to be way too bass heavy, even with the EQ set with bass at -5 and treble at +5. It seems to me that these units are more about connectivity and less about sound, so I'm going to try the Audioengine A2+ speakers connected to Airport Express, hopefully through the DAC in the Audioengine. Finally, the HEOS app is functional, but not very well designed. I had to look online to figure out how to get to the settings the interface was so confusing.
Pros: Easy setup, connectivity to many common streaming services, interesting shape
Cons: No airplay support, sound is mediocre at best (too bass heavy)
1 of 1 found this helpful
I have two of these speakers in the house and they sound great.
Pros: Extremely easy to set up, compatible with my receivers and when you have both playing at the same there isn't a timeshift difference.
1 of 2 found this helpful
Pros: Very portable
Cons: Could use rechargeable batteries
1 of 5 found this helpful
Picked up a 3 and a 5 for the house. They are stupid easy to setup and wireless range is respectable. Ive had it for about 3 weeks and works great. One cool feature was that I had a USB key plugged into one of them and not only was it accessible to the other speaker but also was found as a source on my Marantz 1605 thru the Marantz App. Downside is that you cannot link a Denon/Marantz receiver to the HEOS network and have them all play together.
Pros: Easy setup, solid wireless connection, easy app, great sound for small speaker
Cons: Must be plugged in at all times (wireless would eat battery). Cloth grill may not stand up to frequent moves between rooms.
8 of 11 found this helpful
More details on the Denon HEOS 3 (Series 1)
HEOS Wireless Multi-Room Sound: The HEOS 3 is part of Denon's HEOS wireless multi-room sound system. HEOS by Denon is a wireless multi-room sound system comprising a family of network music amplifiers, pre-amplifiers, and speakers for your whole home. There is a free app to control them from your iOS or Android phone or tablet. You can enjoy your favorite streaming music services, internet radio, or your own music collection. Plus, set-up is intuitive and simple. To Make HEOS work in your home, you'll need..
- Denon's HEOS network audio amplifiers, pre-amplifiers, and/or speakers
- a wireless (WiFi) home network with internet connection
- a Apple iOS or Android device connected to your home wireless (WiFi) network
- the free HEOS by Denon app downloaded on your Apple iOS or Android device
Note: The HEOS wireless multi-room sound system by Denon can support up to 32 HEOS music amplifiers, pre-amplifiers and/or speakers (sold separately) on a single wireless network.
Full-Range Drivers w/ Class D Amplification + MaxxAudio: The HEOS 3 employs two custom full-range drivers powered by a 2-channel Class D amplifier. The dual active wide-range drivers cover the full audio range, assisted via advanced DSP processing for a smooth, natural tonal balance. The two channels of Class D digital amplification provide high efficiency, low distortion ,and wide dynamic range. The rear-firing port adds bigger bass response from a smaller speaker. MaxxAudio uses psychoacoustic science and technologies in order to provide intelligent volume control, multi-band equalization, bass extension and spatial expansion for higher definition, deeper bass, crisper highs and an enveloping soundfield. Bass & Treble adjustments can be made from the HEOS app on your Apple iOS or Android device.
Note: The HEOS 3 is great for small to medium sized rooms; such as bedrooms, offices, or kitchens.
Wired or Wireless Network Connectivity: The Denon HEOS system uses your home's wireless (WiFi) network for whole-house audio entertainment. The HEOS 3 can connect to your home's network via Ethernet (RJ-45) or WiFi (802.11 a/b/g/n). A dual-band (2.4/5GHZ) "N" router is recommended for the most reliable wireless network connection. The free HEOS by Denon app for Apple iOS and Android is used for wireless (WiFi) setup with your home's network.
- Wired Setup: Simply connect the HEOS 3 speaker to your home network using an Ethernet cable and the speaker will appear on the HEOS app on your Apple iOS or Android device as a new room in the Rooms screen.
- Wireless Setup: Use the HEOS app on your mobile device and the included minijack cable to connect the HEOS 3 wirelessly to your home's WiFi network. During setup, you will need to connect the included minijack cable to the headphone jack of your mobile device and the Aux input of the HEOS 3. The app will then copy your mobile device's wireless network settings over to the speaker via the connected cable. You can add additional wireless speakers to the HEOS system by selecting "Add Device" from the HEOS app's settings menu.
Note: A HEOS Extend or similar wireless extender (sold separately) may be necessary if your network's wireless signal is weak to some of the HEOS systems in your application.
HEOS by Denon App: You'll need to download the HEOS by Denon App from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store onto your Apple iOS (5.0+) or Android (2.3+) device. The app is required and provides everything you need to set up and enjoy music on the HEOS system. Using your mobile device and the HEOS app, you can setup, browse, explore, and control HEOS system right in the palm of your hand, from anywhere in your home. Your compatible Apple iOS or Android device must be connected to the same home wireless (WiFi) network as the HEOS speaker system. The HEOS app consists of 4 control screens.
- Settings: The "Settings" screen enables you to connect one or more HEOS amplifiers, pre-amplifiers, or speakers to your home's wireless network. You also get access to Bass & Treble controls.
- Rooms: From the app on your Apple iOS or Android device, you can select which rooms you want playing. You can play the same music in multiple rooms by grouping rooms together, or you can listen to a different source in each room.
- Music: You can select which source you want to listen to from the app. Choose from online music services like Pandora, Spotify, TuneIn, Rhapsody, etc.; your music library from your Apple iOS or Android device, Windows PC, or USB thumbdrive; and the unit's Aux input. You can also select music from Playlists you've created and your recent listening history.
- Now Playing: The "Now Playing" screen displays song, artist, and album information; along with Album Art. You also get basic playback controls like Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track, plus Volume controls Up/Down and Mute. In addition the "Now Play" screen functions unique to the selected online music service or music library.
Note: The only controls that are physically located on the HEOS 3 speaker are Volume Up/Down and Mute.
HEOS Account: Prior to using the system, you'll need to setup up your free HEOS account. Your HEOS account remembers all your settings and preferences such as all your music service logins and HEOS playlists. When you'd like to add multiple smartphone or tablet controllers to your system, you only need to sign in to each new device with your HEOS user name and password. Instantly all your music services and HEOS playlists are available in the new controller too. If you prefer, we support multiple HEOS accounts in a single household. This way, each family member can enjoy their own personalized Pandora or Spotify account settings and still share all the same speakers in the home.
Multi-Room Configuration: Combing the HEOS 3 with other Denon HEOS wireless music amplifiers and speakers (sold separately), you can configure a true wireless multi-room sound system in your home. You can play the same song in every room or any combination of rooms you choose, including a different song in every room. The Denon HEOS wireless audio system automatically synchronizes audio playback between multiple speakers so that the audio coming from different rooms is perfectly in sync with great sound.
- Systems: The HEOS wireless multi-room sound system by Denon can support up to 32 HEOS music amplifiers, pre-amplifiers, and/or speakers (sold separately) on a single wireless network.
- Groups: You can join or group up to eight individual speakers or amplifiers into a group of speakers that function as if they were a single speaker. The HEOS App is also flexible enough where you can create up to 16 Groups (2 speakers/amplifiers per Group).
- Party Mode: You can easily group eight rooms together into Party Mode by using a "pinch" gesture.
Note: A Group refers to the HEOS App's ability to take multiple HEOS systems and play them together so you're outputting the same source information from of all of the HEOS systems at the same time. Grouping the systems will also allow for proper synchronization to all systems so you should never hear an audio delay between the HEOS systems.
Stereo Pairing: You can configure two HEOS 3 speakers to work together as a stereo pair; one as the left speaker, and one as the right speaker.
Online Music Services: You'll be able to stream your favorite online music service like Pandora, iHeart Radio, SiriusXM, Tidal, Rhapsody, TuneIn, and Spotify Connect. More streaming music service coming soon (stay tuned). The HEOS app on your Apple iOS or Android device will serve as the controller for these apps and provide song/artist information with Album Art.
- TuneIn: The HEOS system includes access to more than 70,000 free internet radio streams from all corners of the globe via the TuneIn radio service. Just select the TuneIn logo from the main Music menu and browse among the 70,000 stations neatly organized into popular categories and select a station that appeals to your mood.
- Pandora: Pandora is free, personalized radio that plays music and comedy you'll love. Just start with the name of one of your favorite artists, songs, comedians or composers and Pandora will create a custom station that plays similar tracks. You can also rate (thumbs up/thumbs down) songs as they play, and Pandora will adapt stations to your feedback. You can even bookmark up to 100 stations and easily switch between favorites.
- Spotify Connect: If you subscribe to Spotify Premium and have the Spotify App on your Apple iOS or Android smartphone, you can stream Spotify to the HEOS system. Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
- iHeart Radio: iHeartRadio is a free, all-in-one digital radio and music streaming service that lets you listen to thousands of live stations from across the country and allows you to create personalized custom stations featuring songs from the artist you select and similar music.
- SiriusXM: SiriusXM Internet Radio lets you listen to over 120 channels of commercial-free music, talk radio, news, sports, entertainment, and more.
- Rhapsody: Rhapsody is a streaming music subscription service (starting a $10 per month) that allows you to play the full-length songs you choose on demand from a collection of over 10 million songs, without ads and without having to purchase or download the music.
- TIDAL: TIDAL is a global streaming service that offers over 30 million songs in high-fidelity CD sound quality. TIDAL has two pricing tiers; either $9.99 or $19.99 a month. Both pricing levels allow you to access TIDAL's entire music library. The $19.99 tier has the added benefit of high-fidelity sound at CD-level quality
Note: Availability of online music services may vary by region. Not all services may be available at time of purchase. Some services may be added or discontinued from time to time based on decisions of the music service providers or others.
Mobile Device Streaming: Using the HEOS app on your Apple iOS or Android device, you are able to stream your mobile device's music library to the HEOS 3 speaker system. You'll be able to browse your music library by Artist, Album, Genre, and Song; control music playback functions like Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track; and view song/artist info with Album Art from the app on your compatible mobile device. You can even type in an artist name or song title to find music in your mobile device's library.
- Playlists: You can save the Now Playing queue as a HEOS Playlist that you can recall later. The new playlist will be available from the Playlists button on the Music tab on the HEOS controller app.
- Music Sharing: The HEOS App also has a feature called "Music Sharing" which can share the local music stored on your mobile device to other HEOS app users on your home network. The name of the mobile device you are sharing from will appear as a new Local Music source allowing other HEOS controller apps to browse and play music on your device from their device.
USB Port: The HEOS 3 is fitted with a rear-panel USB (type-A) port that allows you to enjoy a variety of music files from a USB mass storage class memory device, such as a USB thumbdrive (formatted in FAT 16/32). You'll be able to control your USB device's music and view song/artist info from the HEOS app on your Apple iOS or Android device. USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the speaker's USB port (5V/1A); even in standby mode.
- Music Browsing: Use the HEOS app on your mobile device to browse your connected USB device's music library by Artist, Album, Genre, or Song. You can also type in an artist name or song title to find music in your USB device's library.
- Playback Control: Basic playback control from the HEOS app includes Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track.
- Song/Artist Info: You are able to view song/artist information with Album Art from your inserted USB device on the HEOS app.
DLNA Certified: The Denon HEOS 3 speaker is DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5 and Windows 7/8 compliant. This allows you to wirelessly stream a variety of music files stored on your network connected Windows PC or DLNA-certified NAS drives to the HEOS 3. From the HEOS app on your Apple iOS or Android device you can browse music files, control playback and view song/artist information with album art.
Compatible Music Formats: The HEOS 3 wireless audio speaker system supports playback of a variety of music files; including MP3, WMA, AAC (MPEG4), WAV, ALAC (lossless), and FLAC (lossless).
|Compatible Audio Formats||Sampling Frequencies||Bit rate||Extension|
|WMA (Windows Media Audio)||32/44.1/48 kHz||48-192 kbps||.wma|
|MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3)||32/44.1/48 kHz||32-320 kbps||.mp3|
|WAV (PCM)||32/44.1/48 kHz||16-bit||.wav|
|AAC (MPEG-4)||32/44.1/48 kHz||48-320 kbps||.aac/.m4a|
|ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec)||44.1/48 kHz||16-bit||.m4A|
|FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec)||44.1/48 kHz||16-bit||.flac|
Aux Input: The HEOS 3 features a rear-panel 3.5mm AUX input for connection of almost any portable audio device with a headphone or audio output jack. The Aux input is selectable from the HEOS app on your Apple iOS or Android device.
Mounting Options: You can place the HEOS 3 speaker almost anywhere you want to enjoy great sounding music. The HEOS 3 can be mounted horizontally or vertically. The HEOS 3 can even be mounted on a wall or ceiling using the standard 1/4"-20 threaded insert on back of the speaker and an optional wall-mount bracket (sold separately). Please follow these simple guidelines when determining where to place the HEOS 3 speaker.
- The speaker must be within range of your wireless network.
- The speaker must be near an AC power outlet.
- The HEOS speaker is designed to sound best when placed 3-12" from a wall.
- Locate the speaker at least 12" from a television, computer, or other display device to avoid the possibility of interference.
- Place the speaker across the room from where you will be listening, as close to ear level as possible.
Note: The HEOS speaker is not waterproof. Do not place it near any water source and do not leave it outside in the rain or snow.
AC Power + Power Modes: The Denon HEOS 3 operates off of standard household current using the supplied AC power adapter (100-240V). The speaker system offers 3 power modes.
- Network Standby: To save power, the speaker will automatically enter "Network Standby" whenever there is no network access or playback for 20 minutes and will automatically resume to full power whenever the speaker is selected and playing music. There is no visible indicator or LED that will show that the speaker is in Network Standby as it is a fully automatic function.
- Deep Standby: The speaker also has the ability to automatically enter "Deep Standby" whenever the wired or wireless network connection is removed for more than 60 minutes. The front panel LED will turn off during Deep Standby. To "wake" a speaker from Deep Standby, you must press the volume or mute buttons which will immediately turn on the front panel LED.
- Off: To completely turn off the power to the speaker you must remove the mains plug from the back of the speaker.
Note: The HEOS 3 is not battery powered.
Firmware Updates: Firmware and software updates from Denon are delivered to the HEOS 3 via your home network's Internet connection. When such updates become available, you will be notified when you open the HEOS app on your Apple iOS or Android device.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?