About the Denon PMA-50
Small is the new big
Small is the new big
When it comes to audio gear, conventional wisdom always seems to favor big over small. Big speakers. Big amps. Big everything. But not every room is right for a large-scale sound system. For a bedroom, dorm room, or the desktop in your home office, a small setup may simply make a better choice. That's why Denon created the PMA-50 integrated amp. This little mighty mite packs the powerful, big-system punch you crave into a compact package that fits neatly almost anywhere. With its built-in digital-to-analog converter, Bluetooth® streaming, plus an array of digital and analog inputs, the PMA-50 is ready to play beautiful music from a wide variety of sources such as smartphones, disc players, a TV, or a computer.
A high-res champ
It's easy to connect your computer via the PMA-50's USB input and enjoy your entire library of digital tunes through your favorite speakers. If you're into downloading high-resolution audio from websites like HDtracks, 2L, or Blue Coast Records, you'll love this amp. Not only can it make your MP3 and CD-quality music sound fantastic, but it also decodes high-res audio files up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution, so you can enjoy better-than-CD audio quality. (Free USB driver download required for Windows® PC playback.) And this amp is one of the most affordable DSD-capable models available, supporting both 2.8MHz and 5.6MHz DSD digital audio signals for bit-transparent playback of those high-res digital music files. The PMA-50 uses Denon's Advanced AL32 Processing to upsample incoming non-high-res digital audio to a 32-bit, 192kHz datastream to resolve finer detail, even from compressed music sources.
The smartest Bluetooth around
Wired connections aren't the only way to enjoy digital music with this amp. Like a lot of components out there these days, the PMA-50 lets you stream tunes wirelessly from your smartphone or tablet using Bluetooth. But this Denon gives you even more. It makes pairing your compatible device easier than ever thanks to NFC (Near Field Communication) technology. Simply place your NFC-enabled Bluetooth device next to the N mark on the side of the amp, and it's instantly paired. Plus, you can pair up to three devices at the same time. It's a great way to share tunes at your next party.
The PMA-50 also features the latest-generation aptX® Low Latency decoding. This technology not only provides near-CD sound quality when streaming your music from an aptX compatible player, but it optimizes time synchronization when playing back audio from video sources to eliminate lip sync issues.
Designed to fit in small spaces
The compact PMA-50 can stand on its side for placement on a desktop or shelf. Or lay it down flat in your cabinet or rack. You won't find a lot of unnecessary buttons cluttering this amp's front panel. Just an extra-large volume knob and a button for Bluetooth pairing and toggling between sources. The OLED display shows which source is selected, as well as the volume level, and even orients itself in the proper direction automatically when placing the amp vertically or horizontally. And for those times when you wish to enjoy your music without disturbing others, Denon provided a high-quality headphone amp for private listening.
- 25 watts x 2 channels into 8 ohms at 0.1% THD
- 50 watts x 2 channels into 4 ohms at 1% THD
- high-performance Class D amplifier technology
- USB input for playback of high-resolution digital music files from a connected computer
- plays PCM digital audio sources up to 24-bit/192kHz
- decodes Direct Stream Digital (DSD) files at 2.8MHz or 5.6MHz resolution
- Bluetooth wireless connectivity for streaming music from compatible smartphones, tablets, and computers
- aptX® Low Latency Decoding provides high-quality music streaming from compatible devices and eliminates lip sync issues when playing back audio from video sources
- Multi-Point Bluetooth allows three devices to be connected simultaneously
- NFC (Near Field Communication) for instant Bluetooth pairing with NFC-enabled devices
- built-in high-performance headphone amplifier with adjustable gain settings to accommodate low, medium, and high impedance headphones
- exclusive Denon Advanced AL32 processor upconverts and upsamples all non-high-res digital input signals to 32-bit/192kHz for improved detail and clarity with softer, low-level sounds
- noise-isolating circuit design prevents distortion via USB connection from computer
- bass, treble, and balance control via remote
- Source Direct mode bypasses tone control and balance circuits for cleaner sound
- can be placed horizontally or vertically
- OLED display with automatic display orientation detects vertical or horizontal placement and adjusts display accordingly
- USB (Type B) input for connection to a computer
- two optical digital audio inputs
- one RCA coaxial digital audio input
- one pair RCA analog audio inputs
- RCA subwoofer preamp output
- full-size 1/4" (6.3mm) headphone jack
Other Info & Specs:
- supported sample rates for USB input: 32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192kHz Linear PCM; 2.8MHz (DSD64) and 5.6MHz (DSD128)
- supported sample rates for coaxial and optical inputs: 32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192kHz Linear PCM
- operating system requirements: Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Mac® OS X® 10.6.3 (Snow Leopard) or later
- USB 2.0 driver required for playback on Windows computers (free USB driver download available from Denon's website)
- Mac OS X 10.6.3 or later supports plug-and-play operation, so no dedicated driver is required
- THD: 0.004% (digital in, rated output -3 dB, 8 ohms, 1 kHz)
- signal-to-noise ratio: 110 dB (digital in, 25 W, 8 ohms, 1 kHz)
- 7-15/16"W x 3-7/16"H x 11-7/16"D (horizontal orientation)
- weight: 5.5 lbs.
- If connecting to a TV, please make sure you can select "PCM" output in your TV's audio menu. The built-in DAC cannot decode multi-channel Dolby® Digital signals.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # PMA50
What's in the box:
- Integrated amplifier
- 6' AC power cord
- 47" USB-A to USB-B cable
- Remote control (RC-1202)
- CR2025 3V battery (installed in remote)
- 4 Caps
- Owner's Manual on CD-ROM
- Quick Start Guide
- Safety Instructions
- Notes On Radio
- Extended Protection Plan
Denon PMA-50 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Denon PMA-50
Features & specs
|Watts RMS per Channel (8-ohms)||25|
|Watts RMS per Channel (6-ohms)||Not given|
|Watts RMS per Channel (4-ohms)||50|
|Frequency Bandwidth||Not given|
|Minimum Impedance||4 ohms|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||110|
|Digital Music Features|
|Built-in DAC (Digital to Analog Converter)||Yes|
|Total Analog Inputs||1|
|Optical Digital Inputs||2|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||1|
|Dimensions and Warranty|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Stereo Class D Amplifier: The Denon PMA-50's amplifier section incorporates DDFA technology from CSR. The unique DDFA architecture employs a fast and highly accurate digital feedback loop to create digital input Class D audio switching amplifiers that set new standards in digital amplifier sound quality. The patented closed loop architecture features global feedback for each amplifier channel processed in the digital domain, compensating for output stage distortions, output filter non-linearities, and power supply variations. The PMA-50's Class D amplifier is rated at 25 watts x 2 channels (into 8-ohms) or 50 Watts x 2 channels (into 4-ohms); it delivers superior audio fidelity and high efficiency.
Denon Proprietary Technologies: The PMA-50 features Denon's original sound technologies such as Advanced AL32 Processing and DAC Master Clock design developed for premium Hi-Fi components, to dramatically enhance the music listening experience. Your favorite digital audio tracks will have never sounded better.
- Advanced AL 32 Digital Audio Processing: For the ultimate fidelity with 16-bit, 20-bit and 24-bit digital audio tracks, the PMA-50 features Denon's Advanced AL32 digital audio processing system. Featured on Denon's premium audiophile disc players and digital audio components, Advanced AL32 processing upconverts, digitally filters and noise-shapes lower bit data to full 32-bits, delivering remarkable dynamic range and noticeably better low level resolution.
- DAC Master Clock Design: In order to reduce jitter, the Master Clock is re-generated in the PWM modulator. This Denon Master Clock design ensures that sound is correctly localized and your sound is thoroughly realistic & natural.
Tone Controls + Source Direct: You can independently adjust the system's overall Bass & Treble settings from -8 to +8 dB. You can also balance between the left & right channels. The Source Direct feature bypasses the integrated amp's tone control for purer sound quality.
Speaker & Subwoofer Outputs: The premium grade binding-post connectors let you connect speaker cables via bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin connectors, and banana plugs (single or dual). A mono-subwoofer pre-out is also available for adding even more bass to the sound.
Dedicated Headphone Amplifier: The Denon PMA-50 is equipped with a dedicated headphone amplifier circuit that features a high speed ultra-low distortion wideband op amp that's paired with a fully discrete final output stage. In order to accommodate the widest range of headphone types, the PMA-50 features an adjustable headphone impedance control, with three settings for low, medium, and high impedance headphones; these provide proper matching of headphone impedance and amplifier gain. The headphone jack features a 1/4" connector for compatibility with premium home and professional studio headphone models.
USB-B Input for Computer Audio: Via the USB-B input, you can connect your Mac or PC to the PMA-50 and enjoy high resolution audio tracks. The PMA-50 can play high resolution PCM files of up to 24-bits/192-kHz along with high resolution DSD 2.8 MHz and 5.6 MHz files (DSD is the advanced digital audio coding system of SACD). To eliminate PC-induced digital noise via the USB input, the PMA-50 features a dedicated noise isolation block prior to the digital amplifier. A USB-A to USB-B cable is included.
|OS||Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8/8.1||OS X 10.6.3 or later|
|USB||USB 2.0: USB High speed/USB Audio Class Ver.2.0|
Note: *Before connecting this unit to your Windows PC via USB, you will need to install the driver software from Denon's website onto your computer.
Analog & Digital Inputs: In addition to the USB-B input, the PMA-50 features two optical (toslink) digital audio inputs and one coaxial (RCA) digital audio input. There's also a stereo (RCA) analog input for connection to legacy analog sources. The digital inputs support Linear PCM signals with a sampling frequency of 32, 44.1, 48, 64, 88.2, 96 , 176.4, or 192kHz (multi-channel Dolby Digital/DTS signals are not supported.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming w/ aptX: Via built-in Bluetooth, you can wirelessly stream stored music and music apps from your Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, Windows PC, Mac computer or other Bluetooth-enabled device to the Denon PMA-50 integrated amplifier. For CD-quality audio playback from Android (OS 4.0+) smartphone/tablets and other aptX-compatible devices, the PMA-50 features the latest generation CSR aptX Low Latency decoding, which provides optimum time synchronization when playing back audio from video sources with no lip sync issues. Playback control and song/artist information will still be handled by your Bluetooth mobile device.
- Simple Pairing: The PMA-50 features quick and easy pairing via the Bluetooth button on the front-panel. Simply activate the Bluetooth function on your device, press the Bluetooth button on the front panel or the remote control and when prompted, enter the supplied 4 digit passcode on your device. Your device and the PMA-50 are instantly paired and up to 8 devices can be remembered.
- NFC: For even faster pairing with Android (OS 4.0+) smartphone/tablets and other NFC-enabled devices, the PMA-50 features NFC (Near Field Communication). Simply activate your NFC-enabled Bluetooth device and place it next to the "N" mark on the PMA-50 (located on the side-panel), and it's instantly paired with no need for manual passcode entry.
- Multi-Point Connection: Plus, the PMA-50 features Multi-point Bluetooth connectivity which allows 3 Bluetooth-enabled devices to be connected simultaneously. Play tracks from one device and when it's paused or stopped and another paired device's play function is activated the PMA-50 automatically switches to that device. The front-panel display shows the name of the currently selected Bluetooth device.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Denon PMA-50.
Optional Matching Disc Player: The ideal companion to the PMA-50 full digital stereo amplifier, Denon's DCD-50 disc player (033DCD50, sold separately) features a high quality disc drive that plays music CDs as well as data discs with MP3 and WMA tracks. Styled identically to the PMA-50, the DCD-50 features an elegant compact chassis that can be operated when placed horizontally or vertically.
Compact Chassis w/ Vertical or Horizontal Placement: The stylish and elegant compact chassis features deluxe finishes including soft aluminum matte with bright silver tone accents and glossy and matte black surfaces. It is sized to fit just about anywhere, including home and office desktops, home studios. The PMA-50 can be positioned horizontally as well as vertically; removable feet and screw caps make re-configuring simple.
OLED Display: The OLED display shows the source selected via graphical icons and text as well as the sampling frequency and data format of digital sources (it does not display song/artist information). The display brightness can be adjusted between three levels. The PMA-50 features an automatic display orientation function that detects if the amplifier is mounted vertically or horizontally and adjusts the display accordingly.
IR Remote: The supplied IR wireless remote control features an ergonomically-designed layout that includes a cursor keypad, source select and volume controls, setup menu and back buttons; as well as a Bluetooth button and a display dimmer button. The remote does not provide playback controls.
Auto Standby: When there is no input signal and no operation for approximately 30 minutes, this unit automatically enters Standby mode to conserve power and energy.
3 questions already asked