About the Toshiba 37HL95
High-quality flat-panel LCDs are improving faster than almost any other type of TV display. Toshiba's handsome 37" 37HL95 is a perfect example. It has a high-definition screen and two built-in HDTV tuners one for over-the-air broadcasts, and one for cable TV signals. To get the most from this "Digital Cable Ready" set, request a CableCARD from your local service provider. The CableCARD actually fits into a rear-panel slot on the TV and replaces your set-top box. You'll get a cleaner picture, and you won't miss your cable box's on-screen program guide because the 37HL95 includes subscription-free TV Guide On Screen.
Since we don't live in a 24/7 HDTV world yet, you'll still probably be watching some regular TV programs. Toshiba's sophisticated digital video processing and noise-reduction circuitry improves standard signals for a smoother, more natural look. This 37" screen has the same resolution (1366 x 768 pixels) as most top-quality 50" plasma screens. That high pixel count gives the 37HL95 exceptional "pixel density," which makes images look pinpoint sharp.
The 37" screen is big enough for real home theater impact in your living room. And the thin, space-efficient cabinet wouldn't look out of place in many bedrooms. The versatile set of audio/video connections includes composite, S-video, and component video jacks, plus an HDMI digital input for use with the growing number of HDMI-equipped components (DVD players, HDTV tuners, and A/V receivers). A standard computer input makes it easy to connect your laptop PC so you can have a bigger view for gaming or web-surfing. LCDs are immune to screen burn-in, so you can watch, play, and surf with no worries.
Tip: To find out if HDTV signals are available in your area, visit this helpful site and punch in your zip code.
Large Item Special Shipping: This item will be delivered and placed in any accessible room in your home. Available to physical addresses in 50 United States only. Limited delivery available to Alaska and Hawaii for $99 per item call 1-888-955-6000 for more details. Sorry, we can't ship to P.O. Boxes or freight forwarders. Delivery takes 5-7 business days once your order has been processed. Extra charges may apply to items that must be carried up more than 5 flights of stairs. Allow extra time for delivery to remote addresses. Free return shipping not available with this model.
Note: Sorry, we can only ship Toshiba products to the 49 continental United States and Washington D.C.; we cannot ship them to Hawaii or U.S. Territories.
- high-definition TV receives and decodes digital standard-definition and HDTV signals from over-the-air broadcasts (antenna required) and cable TV service (CableCARD required)
- 37" flat LCD panel (measured diagonally)
- widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio
- 1366 x 768 pixels
- fast pixel response time (12 milliseconds)
- 800:1 contrast ratio
- 170°(H) x 170°(V) viewing angle
- PixelPure AT digital video processing (upconverts non-HD signals)
- CableClear video noise reduction
- TV Guide On Screen® 8-day program guide
- built-in stereo speakers (10 watts x 2)
- illuminated multibrand remote control
- picture settings memory for each video input
- 6 A/V inputs, including:
- 3 composite video (2 rear, 1 side)
- 1 S-video
- 2 HD-compatible component video (accepts 1080i/720p/480p/480i signals)
- 1 HDMI digital audio/video input
- PC input: analog RGB (D-Sub 15-pin)
- 2 RF inputs for antenna/cable signals
- optical digital audio output for Dolby® Digital
- detachable swivel stand (stand "footprint" is 14-5/8"W x 11-7/8"D)
- wall-mountable (bracket not included)
- 36"W x 25-1/4"H x 4-1/4"D (28-1/4"H x 11-7/8"D on stand)
- weight: 57.3 lbs. (without stand)
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor in-home service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- Contact your local cable TV provider for details regarding the availability and costs of CableCARD-related services.
- MFR # 37HL95
What's in the box:
- 37" Widescreen LCD television
- Wireless remote control (CT-90235)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 9.75' Dual IR blaster/G-Link cable
- 2 Self-adhesive foam strips
- Cable clamp
- Owner's Manual
- Product Registration Card
Toshiba 37HL95 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Toshiba 37HL95
Features & specs
PixelPure AT: The 37HL95 features Toshiba's latest video processing system: Pixel Pure AT with Adaptive Technology. This advanced adaptive video processing constantly monitors changes in signal quality, content, and movement to enhance sharpness, contrast and color reproduction.
Native Resolution: The TV has a display resolution of 1366 x 768. The HDMI and component video inputs will accept 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals, and will display them as 1366 x 768. All other input signals will also be displayed as 1366 x 768.
Integrated Digital Tuning: In addition to the 181-channel NTSC analog tuner, this TV has built-in 8VSB ATSC and QAM digital tuners, eliminating the need for a separate DTV digital set-top box in most cases.
Digital CableCARD Slot: For encrypted digital Cable TV programs, this unit has a Digital CableCARD slot. Certain advanced and interactive digital cable services (such as video-on-demand, enhanced program guides, and data-enhanced television services) will not work with the use of the CableCARD, and may require the use of a separate set-top box.
4MB, 10-bit 3D Digital Comb Filter: This advanced filter analyzes sequential fields of information to eliminate dot crawl and color bleed. Additionally, the filter significantly reduces detail noise, seen as shimmering or flicker, in complex or intricately detailed scenes. Most video noise normally seen in RF and composite video signals is eliminated.
TV Guide On Screen: The included TV Guide On Screen system is a free, interactive, on-screen program guide that lists schedules and information for TV programs in your area. Features of TV Guide On Screen include:
- Assisted Setup: Using on-screen prompts, you can quickly and easily customize the system.
- Program Listings and Info: System provides eight days of TV listings
- Video Window: A small video window lets you watch your TV program while the TV Guide On Screen information is displayed.
- Custom Channel Lineup: You can customize your channel listings so your favorites are listed first.
- Direct Tuning: You can directly tune to a current program you want to watch by selecting it in the program guide.
- Reminders: Schedule show reminders that will either display an on-screen notification banner or automatically tune the TV to the channel of the show for which you set the reminder.
- Recording Assistance: You can easily schedule recordings of one or more programs. The supplied G-LINK cable can automatically start and stop connected recording devices.
- Search: You can search for programs by category, keyword, or alphabetically.
- On Screen Help: The TV Guide On Screen system contains on-screen feature definitions and navigation instructions.
Favorite Channels: This feature allows you to store a total of 27 channels into three Favorite Channel sets (9 from Antenna 1 input, 9 from Antenna 2 input, and 9 from Cable Box input). Once stored, you can scan through only your favorite channels, skipping other channels you normally do not watch.
SurfLock: The SurfLock feature temporarily memorizes one channel under the Channel Return button, so you can return to that channel quickly from any other channel.
Channel Browser: The Channel Browser allows you to browse and view channels by storing your recently viewed channels in channel history. You can surf back to channels you viewed prior to your current channel, and surf forward from previous channels up to your current channel. Up to 32 previously viewed channels can be stored in history. You can set a single channel as the Home channel for up to 3 inputs.
Picture Size: When viewing a 1080i, 480i, or 480p signal source, you can choose one of the following picture sizes:
- Natural: image is displayed close to its originally formatted proportion
- Full: This mode is designed for 16:9 480i or 480p programs. When a 16:9 program is received, the picture is stretched taller to fill the screen without distorting the main portion of the image. If a 4:3 program is sensed, the picture is stretched wider to fill the screen, but not taller. In each case, none of the picture is hidden.
- Theater Wide 1 (for 4:3 programs): picture is non-uniformly enlarged; the center of the picture remains close to its true proportion, but the left and right edges are stretched wider to fill the screen
- Theater Wide 2 (for letterbox programs): entire picture is uniformly enlarged
- Theater Wide 3 (for letterbox programs with subtitles): picture is non-uniformly enlarged; the picture is stretched wider to fill the width of the screen and stretched slightly taller
Picture Modes: You can select one of the following picture modes:
- Sports: bright and dynamic picture
- Standard: standard picture setting
- Movie: lower contrast for darkened room
- Preference: allows you to adjust and store the following settings: contrast, brightness, color, tint, and sharpness
CableClear DNR: Designed to optimize poor NTSC signals (480i signals only) from antenna or cable, this noise reduction system eliminates video noise ("snow") for a clean crisp image. This system detects the quality of the incoming video signal, and automatically applies the needed amount of video optimization. In the Picture Settings menu, you can select Low, Middle, High, Auto, or off.
Stable Sound: When the signal source is changed, this feature limits the highest volume level to prevent extreme changes in volume.
Muting: The TV has a 2-stage muting function, allowing you to partially reduce (1/2 mute) or completely turn off (mute) the sound. If the closed caption mode is set to Off when you select "mute", the closed caption feature is automatically activated.
SRS WOW: WOW is a special combination of SRS Labs audio technologies that creates a surround sound experience with deep, rich bass from stereo sound sources, making the TV audio sound fuller, richer, and wider. WOW consists of three features:
- SRS 3D: turns on/off the surround sound effect
- FOCUS: turns on/off the vocal emphasis effect
- TruBass: selects the desired bass expansion level (High, Low, or Off)
On/Off Timer: The on/off timer lets you turn the television on at a preset time on a recurring basis. The TV stays on for a preset duration, then automatically turns itself off.
Sleep Timer: The sleep timer switches the television off after a specified amount of time. The sleep timer can be adjusted from 10 minutes to 3 hours in 10-minute increments.
G-LINK: The TV comes with a dual-wand IR transmitter/G-LINK cable for use with video devices with IR remote control. This cable connects to the G-LINK terminal on the back panel to enable TV Guide On Screen recording features. The 3.5mm minijack G-LINK input is located on the lower back panel.
Locks: The TV provides a Locks menu to allow you to restrict access to certain programs, channels, controls, or inputs. The restrictions are protected by a 4-digit PIN code. In addition, you can restrict the amount of time for playing a video game.
Detachable Stand: The TV comes with a stand for easy placement on top of a counter or table. On the stand, the TV can be swiveled 15° in either direction. It cannot be tilted forward or backward on the stand. A safety strap and two clamps are provided on the back of the base for use with a sturdy tie to prevent the TV from tipping forward.
Wall Mounting Option: For wall mounting, the optional FWB3250 wall-mount bracket is available from Toshiba. Additionally, the TV can be wall-mounted using universal wall-mount brackets. There are 4 threaded inserts on the back of the TV to accommodate wall mount brackets. The inserts have a hole spacing of 23-3/4" (horizontal) x 12-7/8" (vertical), and accept M6 screws.
Multibrand Remote: The supplied remote is pre-programmed to operate this unit and a number of functions on other brands of components, including VCRs, cable boxes, TV/VCR combos, DVD/VCR combos, HTIB (Home Theater In a Box), DVD players (including portables), and satellite receivers. A "Light" button allows you to illuminate all the buttons for five seconds, making for easy operation in the dark.
TV Connections: The TV features input and output connections in three separate locations:
- Lower Back Panel: The two RF antenna connections (ANT 1 and ANT 2), HDMI, PC Input (15-pin), G-LINK, Optical Digital Audio, and CableCARD connections are vertically mounted to the lower back panel. The connections are protected by a panel cover. Clamps are provided for cable management.
- Upper Back Panel: The A/V inputs, ColorStream HD component inputs, A/V Output, and Audio Input are sideways-mounted to the upper back panel. A panel cover protects and hides the connections. A vertical slot is provided below the panel for cable routing.
- Side Panel: The Video 2 A/V input and headphone output are in a recessed area behind the left side of the screen. This input is easily accessible to allow you to quickly connect a video game console or camcorder, or plug in headphones.
HDMI Input: This input consists of a single HDMI jack which can accommodate a copy-protected digital connection (HDCP) to other devices (such as DVD players or digital set-top boxes) that have compatible interfaces. The HDMI jack is compliant with the EIA/CEA-861/861B standard and is not intended for use with personal computers. If you want to connect a DVI-compatible device, you will need an HDMI-to-DVI adapter cable. Since DVI does not carry audio signals, one set of stereo audio inputs is provided on the upper back panel for use with the HDMI input or the PC input. In addition to the HDMI-to-DVI adapter cable, you will also need stereo audio cables. Note: The HDMI jacks will accept 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals.
RGB/PC Input: This connection allows you to view the image of a personal computer on the TV screen. When connecting the PC to the TV, you will need a 15-pin RGB computer cable and a PC audio cable. The PC's monitor output resolution should be set to VGA (640 x 480, 60Hz), SVGA (800 x 600, 60Hz), or XGA (1024 x 768, 60Hz). Note: The audio input for the PC is also used for the HDMI input when connected to a DVI-equipped component. They cannot be used simultaneously.
ColorStream HD High-resolution Component Video Inputs: The component video inputs will accept 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals.
Optical Digital Audio Output: The TV can output digital audio in Dolby Digital or PCM format through the TosLink optical digital output. The TV can be connected to an external Dolby Digital decoder, amplifier, A/V receiver, or home theater system with an optical audio input.
Headphone Jack: For personal listening, a 3.5mm (1/8") minijack headphone output is located on the left side of the screen. The TV's speakers automatically mute when headphones are plugged in.
- TV On Stand: W=36", H=28.25", D=11.875"
- TV Without Stand: W=36", H=25.25", D=4.25"
- Stand Footprint: W=14.625", D=11.875"
- Weight: 65.5 pounds including stand, 57.3 pounds without stand