About the Toshiba 42HP66
Toshiba plasma TVs continue to impress us with their sleek looks and rich, high-contrast picture. A high-quality plasma will significantly upgrade your home theater experience and Toshiba's "66-Series" models deliver tremendous bang for the buck. Plasma still holds a performance edge over flat-panel LCD when it comes to black level and contrast, and the 42" 42HP66 drives that home with its 8000:1 contrast ratio.
Built-in tuners for both analog and digital over-the-air broadcasts ensure enjoyable viewing, now and in the future. A TV antenna may seem like a relic from the last century, but over-the-air HD signals are the best there are and they're free. Analog broadcast and cable TV signals benefit from Toshiba's adjustable CableClear noise reduction. CableClear monitors signal quality and applies noise reduction and sharpness enhancement, reducing graininess and ghosting to keep the picture clear.
The 42HP66 has plenty of inputs for your gear, including 2 HD-compatible component video inputs, plus two pure-digital HDMI inputs (perfect for use with a high-definition player or HD satellite receiver). There's also a standard computer input for connecting your laptop PC don't worry, the latest high-quality plasmas resist screen burn-in much better than early models.
Tip: To find out if HDTV signals are available in your area, visit this helpful site and punch in your zip code.
Large Item Special Shipping: This item will be delivered and placed in any accessible room in your home. Available to physical addresses in 50 United States only. Limited delivery available to Alaska and Hawaii for $99 per item call 1-888-955-6000 for more details. Sorry, we can't ship to P.O. Boxes or freight forwarders. Delivery takes 5-7 business days once your order has been processed. Extra charges may apply to items that must be carried up more than 5 flights of stairs. Allow extra time for delivery to remote addresses. Free return shipping not available with this model.
Note: Sorry, we can only ship Toshiba products to the 49 continental United States and Washington D.C.; we cannot ship them to Hawaii or U.S. Territories.
- 42" widescreen HDTV (16:9 aspect ratio)
- built-in digital (ATSC) and analog (NTSC) tuners for over-the-air TV broadcasts (antenna required)
- built-in QAM cable TV tuner receives unscrambled programs without a set-top box (cable service required)
- 1024 x 768 pixels
- 8000:1 contrast ratio
- 160°(H) x 160°(V) viewing angle
- CableClear video noise reduction
- built-in stereo speakers (10 watts x 2)
- multibrand remote control
- picture settings memory for each video input
- 7 A/V inputs, including:
- 3 composite video (2 rear, 1 side)
- 3 S-video (2 rear, 1 side)
- 2 component video (accepts 1080i/720p/480p/480i signals)
- 2 HDMI digital audio/video inputs
- PC input: analog RGB (D-Sub 15-pin)
- RF input for antenna/cable signals
- optical and coaxial digital audio outputs for Dolby® Digital
- Energy Star® compliant
- detachable stand (stand "footprint" is 29-1/8"W x 13-3/4"D)
- wall-mountable (bracket not included)
- 42-1/8"W x 28-3/4"H x 5"D (30-3/4"H x 13-3/4"D on stand)
- weight: 84.7 lbs. (without stand)
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor in-home service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 42HP66
What's in the box:
- 42" Widescreen plasma TV on tabletop stand
- CT-885 wireless remote control
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 6.25' AC power cord with in-line ferrite core
- Owner's Manual (English)
- Owner's Manual (Spanish)
- Owner's Manual (French)
- Product Registration Card
- "Important information" sheet
- "Important notice about using this TV on a cable system without a cable box" sheet
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Toshiba 42HP66
Features & specs
Integrated Digital Tuning: In addition to the 181-channel NTSC analog tuner, this TV has built-in 8VSB ATSC and QAM digital tuners, eliminating the need for a separate DTV digital set-top box in most cases.
Native Resolution: The display resolution of this widescreen TV is 1024 x 768 pixels. All input signals are converted and displayed at this resolution.
CableClear DNR+: CableClear DNR+ reduces visible interference in the TV picture. It utilizes the 3D Digital Y/C Comb Filter to compare frames and determine the existence and extent of video noise, then applies the needed amount of digital video noise reduction, and the appropriate sharpness adjustment to keep the picture clear. The feature works on RF and Video inputs and can be controlled by input.
Wide Screen Modes: You can view many programs in a variety of picture sizes:
- Natural: image is displayed close to its originally formatted proportion
- TheaterWide 1: picture is non-uniformly enlarged; the center remains close to the original proportion, but the left and right edges are stretched wider to fill the screen
- TheaterWide 2: entire picture is uniformly enlarged; part of the picture at the top and bottom are hidden
- TheaterWide 3: picture is non-uniformly enlarged; picture is stretched wider to fill the width of the screen, but only slightly stretched taller
- Full (for 16:9 programs): picture is non-uniformly enlarged; picture stretched wider to fill the screen, but not taller
Note: You can scroll the TheaterWide 2 and 3 modes to view the hidden portions of the picture.
Picture Modes: You can select your desired picture type from four picture modes:
- Sports: bright and dynamic picture
- Standard: standard picture setting
- Movie: movie-like picture setting
- Memory: You can adjust the contrast, brightness, color, tint, and sharpness to your personal tastes.
Favorite Channels: This feature allows you to store 12 of your favorite channels and scan through only those favorites.
Locks Menu: You can prevent some TV programs and movies from being watched by children by activating one of the Lock modes. You can block programs based on the TV age-based ratings (Y, Y7, G, PG, 14, MA) or TV content ratings (violence, language, suggestive dialog, etc.). Movies can be blocked based on the ratings system of the MPAA (G, PG, PG13, R, NC17, X). You can also lock out specific channels, or lock out specific video inputs. The lock modes are protected by a 4-digit password.
Game Timer: You can use the GameTimer to set a time limit of 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes for playing a video game. When the GameTimer is activated, the TV enters the Video Lock mode and locks out the input source for the video game device. GameTimer is protected by a 4-digit PIN code.
Panel Lock: To prevent settings from being accidentally changed, the Panel Lock feature makes the side panel buttons inoperable. The 4-digit PIN code is required to enable the Panel Lock.
SRS WOW: WOW is a special combination of SRS Labs audio technologies that creates a surround sound experience with deep, rich bass from stereo sound sources, making the TV audio sound fuller, richer, and wider. WOW consists of three features:
- SRS 3D: turns on/off the surround sound effect
- FOCUS: turns on/off the vocal emphasis effect
- TruBass: selects the desired bass expansion level (High, Low, or Off)
StableSound: When the signal source is changed, the StableSound feature limits the highest volume level to prevent extreme changes in volume. StableSound can be turned on/off as needed.
Sleep Timer: You can set the sleep timer to turn off the TV automatically after a pre-determined amount of time. The sleep timer can be set between 10 minutes and 2 hours in 10-minute increments.
On Timer: You can use the On timer to turn the TV on at a preset time. The timer can be set to Once or Daily.
HDMI Inputs (HDMI-1 and HDMI-2): Each input consists of a single HDMI jack. The HDMI jack can accommodate a copy-protected digital connection (HDCP) to other devices (such as digital set-top boxes) that have compatible interfaces. The HDMI jack is compliant with the EIA/CEA-861/861B standard and is not intended for use with personal computers. If you want to connect a DVI-compatible device, you will need an HDMI-to-DVI adapter cable. Since DVI does not carry audio signals, a an audio input is provided for each HDMI input. The HDMI-1 input shares left and right RCA audio jacks with the PC input and the HDMI-2 input has its own stereo minijack input. In addition to the HDMI-to-DVI adapter cable, you will also need audio cables.
Note: The HDMI jack will accept 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals.
ColorStream HD Component Inputs: The TV has two ColorStream HD component video inputs on the back panel which can accept 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i signals.
PC Input: For connecting a PC, the TV provides a 15-pin D-Sub analog RGB input. This input shares left and right RCA audio jacks with the HDMI-1 input.
Digital Audio Outputs: A Toslink optical digital output and coaxial digital output are provided for sending Dolby Digital or PCM signals to an external Dolby Digital decoder, amplifier, A/V receiver, or home theater system.
Side Panel Inputs: For your convenience, a set of side panel A/V inputs with stereo audio, composite and S-Video is provided for connecting a camcorder or a game console.
IR Out: A rear-panel minijack allows you to control other equipment in the system using an optional IR blaster.
Wall Mounting: With the tabletop stand removed, the TV can be wall mounted using an optional TV wall mount bracket. There are four M8 (8mm diameter) threaded inserts on the back panel of the TV to accommodate mounting screws. The threaded inserts are spaced 23.5" apart horizontally and 15.75" apart vertically.
The Toshiba 42HP66 replaces these items