About the Toshiba 42HP95
Toshiba plasma TVs are known for their sleek looks and rich, high-contrast picture, and the high-definition 42HP95 has an especially space-efficient design. The first thing you notice is the narrower look Toshiba's bottom-mounted SoundStrip Speaker System reduces the TV's width while still pumping out potent sound.
Built-in tuners for over-the-air and cable signals (both analog and digital) give you a lot of viewing options, now and in the future. Even if you expect to watch mostly DVDs and high-definition programs, you'll still probably continue to watch regular (non-HD) material, too. That's when you'll appreciate Toshiba's advanced video processing system. Designed specifically to improve image quality on digital (non-tube) TV displays, this collection of 8 different circuits attacks noise, distortion and other picture flaws while increasing contrast and color saturation.
The 42HP95 also provides an extremely well thought-out set of connections and conveniences. You get 2 HD-compatible component video inputs, plus a pure-digital HDMI input (perfect for use with an "upconverting" DVD player). There's even a standard computer input for connecting your laptop PC don't worry, the latest high-quality plasmas resist screen burn-in much better than previous models. Conveniences include a flexible picture-in-picture feature, and TV Guide On Screen to simplify finding programs to watch and scheduling recordings to your VCR, DVR, or DVD recorder.
Tip: To find out if HDTV signals are available in your area, visit this helpful site and punch in your zip code.
Large Item Special Shipping: This item will be delivered and placed in any accessible room in your home. Available to physical addresses in 50 United States only. Limited delivery available to Alaska and Hawaii for $99 per item call 1-888-955-6000 for more details. Sorry, we can't ship to P.O. Boxes or freight forwarders. Delivery takes 5-7 business days once your order has been processed. Extra charges may apply to items that must be carried up more than 5 flights of stairs. Allow extra time for delivery to remote addresses. Free return shipping not available with this model.
Note: Sorry, we can only ship Toshiba products to the 49 continental United States and Washington D.C.; we cannot ship them to Hawaii or U.S. Territories.
- high-definition TV receives and decodes digital TV signals from over-the-air broadcasts (antenna required) and cable TV service (CableCARD required)
- widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio
- 1024 x 768 pixels
- 3000:1 contrast ratio
- 160°(H) x 160°(V) viewing angle
- PixelPure video processing (upconverts non-HD signals)
- CableClear video noise reduction
- TV Guide On Screen® 8-day program guide
- 1-tuner Picture-in-Picture (split-screen)
- built-in stereo speakers (10 watts x 2)
- illuminated multibrand remote control
- picture settings memory for each video input
- 8 A/V inputs, including:
- 3 composite video (2 rear, 1 front)
- 3 S-video (2 rear, 1 front)
- 2 HD-compatible component video (accepts 1080i/720p/480p/480i signals)
- 1 HDMI digital audio/video input
- 2 "DTVLink" (IEEE 1394) ports for HD record/play with digital video recorders such as Toshiba's Symbio
- PC input: analog RGB (D-Sub 15-pin)
- 2 RF inputs for antenna/cable signals
- memory card slot for viewing digital photos and playing MP3 files
- detachable stand (depth is 15-3/4")
- wall-mountable (bracket not included)
- 43-3/8"W x 29-1/4"H x 5-7/8"D (30-3/4"H x 15-3/4"D on stand)
- weight: 89.3 lbs. (without stand)
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor in-home service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- Contact your local cable provider for details regarding the availability and costs of CableCARD-related services
- MFR # 42HP95
What's in the box:
- 42" Widescreen plasma TV on tabletop stand
- Plastic rear panel terminal cover (installed on TV)
- Wireless remote control (CT-90233)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 80" AC power cord
- 2 Ferrite-core noise filters
- 9.75' G-LINK cable with dual infrared emitters on one end and a mono 3.5 mm mini plug on the other end
- 2 Strips of double-sided tape (to secure infrared emitters)
- Plastic security clip
- Owner's Manual (English/French)
- Product Registration card
- Important Information sheet (attached to TV inside box) concerning Picture shift function
Toshiba 42HP95 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Toshiba 42HP95
Features & specs
Integrated Digital Tuning: In addition to the 181-channel NTSC analog tuner, this TV has built-in 8VSB ATSC and QAM digital tuners, eliminating the need for a separate DTV digital set-top box in most cases.
Native Resolution: The display resolution of this widescreen TV is 1024 x 768 pixels. All input signals are converted and displayed at this resolution.
TV Guide On Screen: The TV Guide On Screen system is a free, interactive, on-screen program guide that lists schedules and information for TV programs in your area. Features of TV Guide On Screen include:
- Assisted Setup: Using on-screen prompts, you can quickly and easily customize the system.
- Program Listings and Info: System provides eight days of TV listings
- Video Window: A small video window lets you watch your TV program while the TV Guide On Screen information is displayed.
- Custom Channel Lineup: You can customize your channel listings so your favorites are listed first.
- Direct Tuning: You can directly tune to a current program you want to watch by selecting it in the program guide.
- Reminders: Schedule show reminders that will either display an on-screen notification banner or automatically tune the TV to the channel of the show for which you set the reminder.
- Recording Assistance: You can easily schedule recordings of one or more programs. The supplied G-LINK cable can automatically start and stop connected recording devices.
- Search: You can search for programs by category, keyword, or alphabetically.
- On Screen Help: The TV Guide On Screen system contains on-screen feature definitions and navigation instructions.
PixelPure AT: PixelPure AT (Adaptive Technology) is a suite of 8 different video processing circuits that combine to create a consistently clearer, deeper, and more accurate picture.
CableClear DNR+: CableClear DNR+ reduces visible interference in the TV picture. It utilizes the 3D Digital Y/C Comb Filter to compare frames and determine the existence and extent of video noise, then applies the needed amount of digital video noise reduction, and the appropriate sharpness adjustment to keep the picture clear. The feature works on RF and Video inputs and can be controlled by input.
Wide Screen Modes: You can view many programs in a variety of picture sizes:
- Natural: image is displayed close to its originally formatted proportion
- TheaterWide 1: picture is non-uniformly enlarged; the center remains close to the original proportion, but the left and right edges are stretched wider to fill the screen
- TheaterWide 2: entire picture is uniformly enlarged; part of the picture at the top and bottom are hidden
- TheaterWide 3: picture is non-uniformly enlarged; picture is stretched wider to fill the width of the screen, but only slightly stretched taller
- Full (for 16:9 programs): picture is non-uniformly enlarged; picture stretched wider to fill the screen, but not taller (not selectable for 1080i format programs)
Note: You can scroll the TheaterWide 2 and 3 modes to view the hidden portions of the picture.
Picture Modes: You can select your desired picture type from four picture modes:
- Sports: bright and dynamic picture
- Standard: standard picture setting
- Movie: movie-like picture setting
- Preference: You can adjust the contrast, brightness, color, tint, sharpness, and color temperature to your personal tastes.
Digital CableCARD Slot: For encrypting digital Cable TV programs, this unit has a Digital CableCARD slot. Certain advanced and interactive digital cable services (such as video-on-demand, enhanced program guides, and data-enhanced television services) will not work with the use of the CableCARD, and may require the use of a separate set-top box.
OmniViewer MultiCard Slots: The 42HP95 has memory card slots on the left side panel to allow you to view compatible JPEG files or play compatible MP3 files stored on a memory card. The slots can accommodate SD Memory cards, MultiMediaCards, Memory Sticks (including Memory Stick Pro), xD-Picture cards, and Type I Compact Flash cards. The maximum memory card capacity is 512MB. JPEG files up to 8MB and up to 6000 x 4000 pixels can be viewed on the screen. MP3 files recorded at 32-320 kbps can be played back.
Picture-Out-Picture (POP): The Picture-Out-Picture (POP) feature splits the screen into a double window that allows you to watch two programs at the same time. When viewing a program from either antenna input, you can also simultaneously display a program from a video input (HDMI, ColorStream HD Component 1 or 2, and Video 1, 2, or 3). When viewing a program from a video input, you can simultaneously display a picture from an antenna source. While the POP window is open, you can switch between the audio from both pictures. Each picture displays in the aspect ratio according to its input signal, and the DoubleWindow allows you to view two 4:3 pictures, two 16:9 pictures, or a 4:3 and 16:9 picture side-by-side.
Freeze Feature: The Freeze feature allows you to freeze the picture into a still frame while normal audio from the program continues. The picture will stay in the Freeze mode until you exit the feature, or for up to 15 minutes to prevent screen burn-in.
Favorite Channel Scan: You can program up to 27 favorite channels is 3 groups of 9. You can use Favorite Channel Scan to simultaneously view what's on your favorite channels from a nine-picture multi-window. From the multi-window, you can easily choose one of the favorites to watch.
Locks Menu: You can prevent some TV programs and movies from being watched by children by activating one of the Lock modes. You can block programs based on the TV age-based ratings (Y, Y7, G, PG, 14, MA) or TV content ratings (violence, language, suggestive dialog, etc.). Movies can be blocked based on the ratings system of the MPAA (G, PG, PG13, R, NC17, X). You can also lock out specific channels, or lock out specific video inputs. The lock modes are protected by a 4-digit password.
Game Timer: You can use the GameTimer to set a time limit of 30 to 120 minutes for playing a video game. When the GameTimer is activated, the TV enters the Video Lock mode and locks out the input source for the video game device. GameTimer is protected by a 4-digit PIN code.
Panel Lock: To prevent settings from being accidentally changed, the Panel Lock feature makes the side panel buttons inoperable. The 4-digit PIN code is required to enable the Panel Lock.
SurfLock: This feature allows you to store a channel in memory so you can return to that channel quickly from any other channel by pressing one button. The TV will return to the stored channel one time only. Once you press the Channel Return (CH RTN) button and then change channels again, the CH RTN button memory is cleared.
SRS WOW: WOW is a special combination of SRS Labs audio technologies that creates a surround sound experience with deep, rich bass from stereo sound sources, making the TV audio sound fuller, richer, and wider. WOW consists of three features:
- SRS 3D: turns on/off the surround sound effect
- FOCUS: turns on/off the vocal emphasis effect
- TruBass: selects the desired bass expansion level (High, Low, or Off)
StableSound: When the signal source is changed, the StableSound feature limits the highest volume level to prevent extreme changes in volume. StableSound can be turned on/off as needed.
Sleep Timer: You can set the sleep timer to turn off the TV automatically after a pre-determined amount of time. The sleep timer can be set between 10 minutes and 3 hours in 10-minute increments.
On/Off Timer: You can use the On/Off timer to turn the TV on and off at a preset time on a recurring basis. After setting the TV's built-in clock, you can select the day and time you want the TV to turn itself on, and the length of time until the TV turns off.
HDMI Input: The 42HP95 features an HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) input which receives digital audio and uncompressed digital video from an HDMI device or uncompressed digital video (without audio) from a DVI (Digital Video Interface) device. Since DVI does not carry audio signals, a stereo audio input is provided for the TV's HDMI input. The input in designed to accept HDCP program material in digital form. The HDMI input will accept 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i signals. If you want to connect a DVI-compatible device, you will need an HDMI-to-DVI adapter cable and stereo audio cables.
IEEE1394 Ports: Two bi-directional digital IEEE1394 ports for connecting multiple devices with compressed digital video. Because these ports are bi-directional, they can be used for recording and playback. You can connect such IEEE1394-compatible devices such as D-VHS decks and AVHD (audio/video hard drive) units including Toshiba's Symbio (item #052SYMBIO) hard drive recorder. The IEEE1394 ports are S400 (400 Mbps) compatible, and the transmitting capability of the IEEE1394 cables you use should be S400 rated.
ColorStream HD Component Inputs: The TV has two ColorStream HD component video inputs on the back panel which can accept 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i signals.
PC Input: For connecting a PC, the TV provides a 15-pin D-Sub analog RGB input, plus a 3.5mm stereo minijack for audio. The following signals can be displayed: VGA (640 x 480, 60Hz), SVGA (800 x 600, 60Hz), and XGA (1024 x 768, 60Hz).
Antenna Inputs: There are two RF coax antenna inputs that support analog NTSC and digital ATSC off-air antenna signals, as well as analog and digital (QAM) cable TV signals.
Digital Audio Output: A TosLink optical digital output is provided for sending Dolby Digital or PCM signals to an external Dolby Digital decoder, amplifier, A/V receiver, or home theater system with optical audio input.
G-LINK: A 3.5mm minijack is provided for the supplied G-LINK cable. G-LINK uses infrared (IR) to allow the built-in TV Guide On Screen system to start and stop recordings on connected recording devices (VCRs, DVD recorders). The G-LINK cable has dual IR emitters for controlling two components.
TheaterNet: You can control external infrared remote-controlled and IEEE1394 devices through the TV's TheaterNet system. All IEEE1394 devices are recognized by the TheaterNet feature. For IR-controlled devices, you can use the supplied G-LINK cable for transmitting IR codes to connected devices. Two 3.5mm minijacks are provided for connecting IR emitters for TheaterNet control. When using TheaterNet, icons appear on-screen allowing you to control the connected devices.
Audio Outputs: The TV provides two audio outputs, one with a fixed level signal, and the other with a variable level signal (volume controlled by the TV remote). When connecting the TV to an audio amplifier, you must first turn off the TV's built-in speakers.
Side Panel Inputs: For your convenience, a set of side panel A/V inputs with stereo audio, composite and S-Video is provided for connecting a camcorder or a game console. Along with the A/V inputs, a 3.5mm stereo mini headphone jack is provided for private listening.
Tabletop Stand: The 42HP95 comes mounted on a tabletop stand with a footprint of 27-1/2" x 15-11/16". The bottom of the TV is raised approximately 1-1/2" off of the mounting platform. The overall dimensions of the TV on the tabletop stand are: Width=43-5/16", Height=30-11/16", Depth=15-11/16", Weight=117.3 pounds.
Wall Mounting: With the tabletop stand removed, the TV can be wall mounted using an optional TV wall mount bracket. There are four M8 (8mm diameter) threaded inserts on the back panel of the TV to accommodate mounting screws. The threaded inserts are spaced 23-1/2" apart horizontally and 15-11/16" apart vertically. Dimensions of the TV without the tabletop stand are: Width=43-5/16", Height=29-3/16", Depth=5-7/8". Note: Weight without tabletop stand not given.