About the Toshiba 42HPX84
Want a plasma TV with "living room looks"? The black-gloss-and-silver finish of Toshiba's 42HPX84 will generate admiring "wows" before you even turn it on! And when you start watching, you won't want to stop the TV's black bezel helps the crystal-clear, color-saturated images really pop off the screen. All the extras that come with Toshiba's high-end Cinema Series TVs create a viewing experience that's more ... cinematic.
The 42HPX84 is HDTV-ready reception of High-Definition programming requires connecting a separate HDTV tuner (over-the-air, cable, or satellite). The TV's built-in tuner handles regular broadcast and cable signals, so all your favorite shows will be even more enjoyable. All non-HD signals are upconverted by Toshiba's powerful PixelPure multi-stage video processing a suite of 8 different circuits that refines and enhances picture quality, improving resolution, color, and contrast ratio.
Video inputs include composite, S-video, component video, and two future-ready HDMI digital A/V jacks. The low-profile pedestal stand gives the TV a "floating in air" appearance (see "Accessories" for wall-bracket options). Sit back, grab the illuminated A/V remote control, and you're ready for TV in the 21st century!
Large Item Special Shipping: This item will be delivered and placed in any accessible room in your home. Delivery is available to physical addresses in the lower 48 states. (Sorry, no P.O. Boxes or freight forwarders.) Transit time is 5-7 business days once your order has been processed. In-home delivery is FREE for this model. Extra charges may apply for delivery after business hours or on a weekend, or if the TV must be carried up more than 5 flights of stairs.
Note: Free return shipping not available with this model.
Consumer Alert: This component has only an analog broadcast tuner and will require a converter box after February 17, 2009, to receive over-the-air broadcasts with an antenna because of the Nation's transition to digital broadcasting. Analog-only TVs should continue to work as before with cable and satellite TV services, gaming consoles, VCRs, DVD players, and similar products. For more information, call the Federal Communications Commission at 1-888-225-5322 (TTY: 1-888-835-5322) or visit the Commission's digital television website at: www.dtv.gov
- HDTV monitor (digital TV reception requires a separate HDTV tuner)
- 42" plasma panel (measured diagonally)
- widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio
- 1024 x 768 pixels
- PixelPure video processing (upconverts non-HD signals)
- selectable color temperature control
- CableClear video noise reduction
- dual 181-channel NTSC tuners
- HD Window picture-and-picture (split screen)
- built-in stereo speakers (10 watts x 2)
- illuminated multibrand remote control
- direct video input selection
- 7 A/V inputs, including:
- 3 composite video (2 rear, 1 side)
- 3 S-video (2 rear, 1 side)
- 2 HD-compatible component video (accepts 1080i/720p/480p/480i signals)
- 2 HDMI digital audio/video inputs
- 2 RF inputs for antenna/cable signals
- detachable stand (depth is 12-5/8")
- wall-mountable (wall bracket not included)
- 50-1/8"W x 27-1/2"H x 6"D (30"H x 12-5/8"D on stand)
- weight: 112.9 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 42HPX84
What's in the box:
- 42" Widescreen plasma TV
- CT-90164 Wireless remote control
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 76" AC power cord
- 16' TheaterLink cable (has an infrared emitter on one end and a minijack mono connector on the other end)
- 1 Plastic clip
- 1 Piece of double-sided mounting tape (for mounting the infrared emitter)
- 1 Plastic strap
- 1 Cleaning cloth
- Owner's Manual (English/French/Spanish)
- Product Registration Card
- "Important Information" sheet
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Toshiba 42HPX84
Features & specs
PixelPure: Non-HD signals are upconverted and enhanced by Toshiba's multi-step PixelPure video processing system, which optimizes the three main picture quality factors: resolution, contrast, and color.
Native Resolution: The 42HPX84 has a display resolution of 1024 x 768. The HDMI and component video inputs will accept 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals, and will display them as 1024 x 768. All other input signals will also be displayed as 1024 x 768.
4MB, 10-bit 3D Digital Comb Filter: This advanced filter analyzes sequential fields of information to eliminate dot crawl and color bleed. Additionally, the filter significantly reduces detail noise, seen as shimmering or flicker, in complex or intricately detailed scenes. Most video noise normally seen in RF and composite video signals is eliminated.
CableClear DNR+: Designed to optimize poor NTSC signals from antenna or cable, this noise reduction system eliminates video noise ("snow") for a clean crisp image. This system detects the quality of the incoming video signal, and automatically applies the needed amount of video optimization.
TheaterLink: TheaterLink allows you to remotely operate through the TV most infrared-controlled devices enclosed within an entertainment center or similar cabinet. You can use the TV's remote control (programmed to operate the device), or the device's remote control. The signal passes from the remote control, through the TV to the device via the supplied TheaterLink cable. The TheaterLink's infrared eye can be attached to the device using the supplied double-sided tape.
Picture-Out-Picture (POP): The picture-out-picture feature splits the screen into a double window that allows you to watch two programs at the same time. The POP program can come from a TV broadcast or an external source, such as a VCR. You can swap the positions of the main and POP pictures, and switch the audio from the main to the POP picture as desired. The Double-Window feature displays each picture according to its input signal aspect ratio. The main window (on the left) can only show images with a 4:3 aspect ratio, and the secondary window (on the right) can show images with both 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios.
Note: The POP feature operates with two internal tuners, no external tuner from a VCR is necessary. The main window can only display 480i signals.
Programmed Channel Search Function: This function lets you quickly scan your programmed channels. The TV automatically enters multi-window mode, and begins a twelve picture scan of your programmed channels. In each small window, there is a still picture of the program on that channel.
Favorite Channels: This feature allows you to store 12 of your favorite channels.
Favorite Channel Search Function: This function lets you quickly scan your favorite channels in the same way that you scan your programmed channels.
SurfLock: The SurfLock feature temporarily memorizes one channel under the Channel Return button, so you can return to that channel quickly from any other channel.
Picture Size: When viewing a 1080i, 480i, or 480p signal source, you can choose one of the following picture sizes:
- Natural: image is displayed close to its originally formatted proportion
- Full: This mode is mainly designed for 16:9 programs. When a 16:9 program is received, the picture is stretched taller to fill the screen without distorting the main portion of the image. If a 4:3 program is sensed, the picture is stretched wider to fill the screen, but not taller. In each case, none of the picture is hidden.
- Note: Full cannot be used with 1080i signals.
- Theater Wide 1: picture is non-uniformly enlarged; the center of the picture remains close to its true proportion, but the left and right edges are stretched wider to fill the screen
- Theater Wide 2: entire picture is uniformly enlarged
- Theater Wide 3: picture is non-uniformly enlarged; the picture is stretched wider to fill the width of the screen and stretched slightly taller
Picture Modes: You can select one of the following picture modes:
- Sports: bright and dynamic picture
- Standard: standard picture setting
- Movie: movie-like picture setting
- Preference: allows you to adjust and store the following settings: contrast, brightness, color, tint, sharpness, and color temperature
Stable Sound: When the signal source is changed, this feature limits the highest volume level to prevent extreme changes in volume.
Dolby Virtual Sound: The Dolby Virtual Sound feature allows you to enjoy virtual surround sound from the TV's speakers. If you connect a source that is encoded with Dolby Surround or Dolby Digital, the Dolby Virtual feature simulates Dolby Surround Sound from the TV's speakers. Dolby Virtual can be turned on/off in the menu as desired.
SRS WOW: WOW is a special combination of SRS Labs audio technologies that creates a surround sound experience with deep, rich bass from stereo sound sources, making the TV audio sound fuller, richer, and wider. WOW consists of three features:
- SRS 3D: turns on/off the surround sound effect
- FOCUS: turns on/off the vocal emphasis effect
- TruBass: selects the desired bass expansion level (High, Low, or Off)
On Timer: The on timer switches the television on after a specified amount of time. The on timer can be adjusted from 10 minutes to 12 hours in 10-minute increments.
Sleep Timer: The sleep timer switches the television off after a specified amount of time. The sleep timer can be adjusted from 10 minutes to 3 hours in 10-minute increments.
Labeling Channels: Channel labels appear above the on-screen channel number display each time you turn on the TV, change a channel, or press Recall. You can choose any four characters to identify a channel.
Detachable Stand: The TV comes with a stand for easy placement on top of a counter or table. On the stand, the TV cannot be tilted or swiveled.
Wall Mounting Option: The TV can be wall-mounted using compatible universal mounting brackets.
Note: The threaded inserts on the back of the TV have a horizontal spacing of 23.813" and a vertical spacing of 12.875". The threaded inserts require M8 screws.
Multibrand Remote: The supplied remote is pre-programmed to operate this unit and a number of functions on other brands of components, including VCRs, cable boxes, cassette players, CD players, receivers, laserdisc players, DVD players, and satellite receivers. A "Light" button allows you to illuminate all the buttons for five seconds, making for easy operation in the dark.
HDMI Inputs: Each input consists of a single HDMI jack. The HDMI jack can accommodate a copy-protected digital connection (HDCP) to other devices (such as digital set-top boxes) that have compatible interfaces. The HDMI jack is compliant with the EIA/CEA-861/861B standard and is not intended for use with personal computers. If you want to connect a DVI-compatible device, you will need an HDMI-to-DVI adapter cable. Since DVI does not carry audio signals, a stereo audio input is provided for each HDMI input. In addition to the HDMI-to-DVI adapter cable, you will also need stereo audio cables.
Note: The HDMI jack will accept 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals.
ColorStream HD High-resolution Component Video Inputs: The component video inputs will accept 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals.
- TV On Stand: W=50.063", H=30", D=12.625"
- TV Without Stand: W=50.063", H=27.5", D=6"