About the Toshiba 46L5200U
A big-screen value from a name you know
A big-screen value from a name you know
Toshiba's 46L5200U is an HDTV pure and simple no 3D and no Internet capabilities. And boy, does it deliver a great picture. Its LED backlighting gives images terrific contrast and lifelike color. And Toshiba's ClearFrame blur reduction uses tried-and-true 120Hz refresh rate to tame motion blur without reducing brightness or adding flicker. Before you take a chance on a no-name brand, see what this Toshiba offers.
With three HDMI inputs you can connect your favorite high-def sources, like a Blu-ray player, cable or satellite TV receiver, and an HD game console. There's a PC input for your computer, and a USB input so you can plug in a thumb drive and instantly share your photos with friends or family. If you've done much TV shopping you probably associate value-priced TVs with clunky design wide bezels and thick panels. The 46L5200U bucks that trend with a slim panel and thin, stylish bezel. It's one sharp-looking TV!
Tip: For a list of over-the-air digital TV stations you can receive, as well as antenna recommendations for your location, enter your zip code in AntennaWeb's mapping tool.
Note: Sorry, we can only ship Toshiba products to the 49 continental United States and Washington D.C.; we can't ship them to Hawaii or U.S. Territories. (Solamente es posible enviar productos de la Toshiba dentro los 49 estados unidos continentales y Washington D.C.)
- 45.6" screen (measured diagonally)
- glossy screen with black, thin-bezel Aero design
- tuner receives over-the-air HDTV broadcasts (antenna required)
- QAM cable TV tuner (subscription required to receive cable channels contact your local service provider for details)
- LED edge backlight for high picture contrast
- ClearFrame 120Hz refresh rate for clear video motion
- built-in stereo speakers (7 watts x 2)
- Audyssey® sound processing (equalization, bass enhancement, and auto volume level adjustment)
- remote control
- simplified control of compatible Toshiba components via the HDMI connection (HDMI-CEC)
- meets ENERGY STAR® requirements
- picture settings memory for each video input
Connections and Dimensions:
- 4 A/V inputs, including:
- 1 component video input (selectable component/composite)
- 3 HDMI v1.3
- PC input
- RF input for antenna/cable signals
- optical digital audio output
- stereo minijack output for connecting a sound bar or home stereo system
- USB port for connecting a camera or thumb drive
- detachable stand (stand "footprint" is 18-1/8"W x 10-1/4"D)
- wall-mountable (bracket not included)
- 41-7/8"W x 25-1/8"H x 1-3/4"D (27"H x 10-1/4"D with stand)
- weight: 43 lbs. with stand; 37.3 lbs. without stand
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor in-home service or pick-up for service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 46L5200U
What's in the box:
- 46" LED-LCD TV
- Pedestal stand
- Stand body
- Stand body cover
- Wireless remote control (CT-90325)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Four 5mm x 28mm machine screws (with lock-/flat-washers installed)
- Four 5mm x 17mm machine screws (with lock-/flat-washers installed)
- Quick Start instructions
- Resource Guide
- Limited Warranty information
EnergyGuide:View EnergyGuide label
Toshiba 46L5200U reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Toshiba 46L5200U
Features & specs
LED Edge-Backlighting: The Toshiba L5200U LED-LCD TV utilizes LED edge-backlighting for a clear, crisper image with better contrast and color.
DynaLight: This function automatically adjusts the backlight intensity based on the image content. It constantly monitors the brightness level of each video frame, even in low light settings. As a result, you see increased detail and greater depth of images.
ClearFrame 120Hz: This advanced system virtually eliminates motion blur without decreasing image brightness, or adding flicker. Images are now crisp and clear regardless of image motion. The ClearFrame 120 Hz anti-blur technology doubles the frame rate from 60 frames-per-second to 120 frames-per-second, virtually eliminating motion blur that could be caused by fast action video.
Cinema Mode (3:2 Pulldown): When you view a DVD (3:2 pulldown processed) from a DVD player connected via composite, component, or HDMI, smoother motion can be obtained by setting the Cinema Mode to Film.
HDTV Tuner: The TV has built-in over-the-air HDTV (ATSC) and Digital Cable (QAM) tuners, so you don't need a separate set-top box to receive and decode over-the-air HDTV/SDTV or unencrypted Digital Cable signals.
1080p Resolution: The Toshiba L5200U LED-LCD TV has a display resolution of 1920 x 1080. All inputs are displayed at 1080p. The Toshiba L5200UTV provides high definition HDMI & component video inputs.
- Triple HDMI (ver.1.3): The television features three rear-panel HDMI (ver.1.3) inputs. The HDMI inputs will accept 1080p (24/60Hz), 1080i, 720p, 480p, 480i, video signals. If you want to connect a DVI-compatible device, you will need an HDMI-to-DVI adapter cable. Since DVI does not carry audio signals, a stereo audio 3.5mm input is provided for the HDMI 1 input (shared with PC input). In addition to the HDMI-to-DVI adapter cable, you will also need a stereo audio 3.5mm cable.
- Component Video Input: The rear-panel ColorStream HD Component video input will accept 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals. The component video input can also be used as a composite (480i only) input.
Picture Size: When viewing a source, you can choose one of the following picture sizes:
- Normal: Image is displayed close to its originally formatted proportion, with black bars along the sides or top and bottom if the signal has an aspect ratio different than the TV.
- TheaterWide 1: The picture is non-uniformly enlarged; the center of the picture remains close to its true. proportion, but the left and right edges are stretched wider to fill the screen, used primarily with a 4:3 source.
- TheaterWide 2: Entire picture is uniformly enlarged, used primarily with a widescreen source.
- TheaterWide 3: Picture is non-uniformly enlarged; the picture is stretched wider to fill the width of the screen and stretched slightly taller.
- Full: Mainly designed for receiving a squeezed 4:3 signal (a 16:9 [480i, 480p] programs squeezed into a 4:3 transmission), the picture is stretched wider to fill the screen, but not taller, none of the picture is hidden.
- 4:3: Provides a 4:3 aspect ratio of a 720p, 1080i or 1080p signal; sidebars fill the empty vertical spaces while not distorting the picture from its original size.
- Native: When receiving a 720p, 1080i or 1080p signal program, Native Mode restores the size of the picture by the 3-5% that is generally lost during the normal over-scanning that occurs on traditional sets. It also avoids unnecessary scaling of HD signals that can reduce overall image resolution and picture quality.
- Dot-by-Dot: Dot by Dot" is a non-scaling display for PC signals only. Depending on the input signal format, the picture appears with sidebars and/or bars at the top and bottom.
Auto Aspect Ratio: The Auto Aspect Ratio feature will automatically select the picture size when one of the following inputs sources is received - a 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i signal from the ANT/Cable input; a 480i signal from the Component Video input, and a 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, or VGA (60 Hz) signal from any of the HDMI inputs. A 4:3 signal is set to Normal, a 16:9 signal is set to Full, a 4:3 letterbox signal is set to TheaterWide 2. If the signal's aspect is not defined, the Picture Size defaults to the last manually chosen setting.
Picture Modes: You can select one of the following picture modes for each input:
- Dynamic: Creates the right amount of "pop," and provides more colors, finer details, less visual noise and brighter, realistic pictures.
- Standard: Standard picture setting.
- Movie: Lower contrast for a darkened rooms.
- Game: Designed for playing a video game requiring split-second timing between the on-screen display and input from the controller (more effective for 480i & 1080i input video signals).
- PC: Designed for viewing tables/documents from a PC.
- Preference: Allows you to adjust and store contrast, brightness, color, tint, and sharpness.
Advanced Picture Adjustments: The television offers the following advanced picture adjustments.
- Dynamic Contrast: Dynamic Contrast detects changes in picture quality that affect the appearance of your contrast settings and then automatically adjusts the video.
- Static Gamma: The static gamma feature allows you to adjust the levels of black in a picture.
- Color Temperature: You can change the quality of the picture by selecting from three preset color temperatures (Cool, Medium, or Warm).
CableClear: The CableClear digital noise reduction feature allows you to reduce visible interference in the TV's picture. This may be useful when receiving a broadcast with a weak signal or playing a noisy video cassette or disc.
MPEG Noise Reduction: The MPEG noise reduction feature allows you to reduce visible interference caused by MPEG compression. Choices for MPEG noise reduction are Low, Middle, High, and Off.
Film Stabilization: This feature helps to eliminate video shaking. You can set the TV's Film Stabilization feature to Smooth, Standard, or Off.
Audyssey Premium Audio: The LED-LCD TV features advanced audio technologies that include Audyssey Dynamic EQ, Audyssey Bass Extension (ABX), and Audyssey Dynamic Volume.
- Audyssey EQ: Provides clear, accurate and natural sound right out of the box. This technology ensures you enjoy your audio experience as much as your video.
- Audyssey ABX: Uses sophisticated driver analysis and low frequency monitoring to extend the range and bass of small speakers. This enables the system to produce lower frequencies than otherwise would be possible.
- Audyssey Dynamic Volume: Automatically adjusts volume to provide a consistent sound level between television programs, commercials, and between the loud and soft passages of movies.
Tone Adjustments: You can adjust the audio quality by adjusting the TV's bass, treble, and balance.
Dolby Digital Dynamic Range Control: This dynamic range control feature causes the ATSC dynamic range to be further compressed, allowing you to switch from ATSC to analog broadcasts at the same dynamic range.
Two-level Mute: The TV mutes the volume half-way when the Mute button is pressed once on the remote; when pressed a second time the TV will mute the volume completely and when pressed a third time the volume will resume as normal.
Audio Outputs: The Toshiba LED-LCD TV is equipped with an analog (RCA) and digital (optical) audio output.
- Analog Audio: The television features a 3.5mm (minijack) audio output for connecting the television to an analog 2-channel receiver. You will need a minijack-to-RCA adapter (119MCON2M, sold separately) to make a stereo RCA connection between the television and your AV receiver. The TV's analog audio output terminals will output 2ch audio from any of the television's source inputs.
- Digital Audio Output: The optical digital output on the rear-panel will output Dolby Digital (when available) or 2 channel PCM. The digital optical output terminal only sends an audio signal in Dolby Digital when you receive Dolby Digital Surround Sound from a digital broadcast channel through the TV tuner. The optical digital audio output will only output in 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, RCA, or USB.
Media Player: Media Player allows you to view photo files (JPEG) and listen to music files (MP3) stored on a USB mass storage class (MSC) device using the TV's rear-panel USB type-A port. JPEG and MP3 files must be formatted in FAT16/FAT32. The TV will recognize up to 500 files per folder.
- JPEG Still Image Playback: The Toshiba L5200U LED-LCD TV supports JPEG still images (ver2.1) with a
maximum photo resolution of 4096 x 4096 pixels (best photo resolution: 1920 x 1080) and a maximum photo size of 6MB. There
are three types of view modes - Multi-View, Single View, and Slide Show.
- Multi-View: This view allows you to search for photos in a grid format. These picture are displayed using thumbnail data in each image file.
- Single View: In this view mode, only files located in the selected directory shall be displayed. This view allows you to change the photo content manually. You can rotate an image 90°s clockwise or counterclockwise.
- Slide Show: This view allows you to watch a slideshow of the photos. In this mode, only the files located in the selected directory will be played.
- MP3 Music Playback: The LED-LCD TV will supports MP3 music files with a bit-rate of 8 to 320 kbps in one of the following sampling frequencies (16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, or 48 kHz). The TV allows you to listen to music from a list of available files on your connected USB device.
Note: Media Player also allows you to listen to music files while viewing a slide show of your photo files, that are stored on the same connected USB thumbdrive.
PC Input: This connection allows you to view the image from a personal computer on the TV screen. When connecting the PC to the TV, you will need a 15-pin D-sub RGB computer cable and a PC audio cable. The PC input shares the stereo audio 3.5mm input with the television's HDMI 1 input. Supported signal formats include VGA, SVGA, XGA, WXGA and SXGA. You can also connect the TV to your PC via the HDMI 1 input. Additional supported signal formats include 480i, 480p, 720p, 108i, 1080p.
Channel Browser: The TV's Channel Browser provides an easy navigation interface for all your channels and inputs. This feature allows you to navigate the contents of all your inputs, keeps a list of your favorite channels, and keep a history of the last 32 channels or inputs viewed.
Favorite Browser: The Favorite Browser allows you to quickly set up a favorite channels/inputs list that is integrated into the Channel Browser.
Channel Return: The Channel Return feature allows you to switch between two channels without entering an actual channel number each time
SurfLock: The SurfLock feature temporarily memorizes one channel under the Channel Return button, so you can return to that channel quickly from any other channel.
Channel/Input Label: Channel Label allows you to put the Call Letters (ABC, HBO, etc.) on the screen along with the station numbers, so you always know what you are watching. You can also label each video input source according to the type of device you have connected from a preset list of labels; Audio Receiver, Cable, Compact Disc, DTV, DVD, Game Console, HDMI, Laser Disc, Satellite/DSS, VCR, Video Recorder, or "Hide".
Closed Captions: The TV offers analog and digital closed captions.
- Analog CC: The analog closed caption mode has two
- Captions: An on-screen display of the dialog, narration, and sound effects of TV programs and video that are closed captioned.
- Text: An on-screen display of information not related to the current program, such as weather or stock data when provide by individual stations.
- Digital CC: You can customize the closed caption display characteristics by changing the background color, opacity, text size, type, edge and color.
Lock System: The TV's Lock Menu includes ratings blocking, channel blocking, input locking, and a side panel control lock which are all protected by the same user customized 4 digit password.
- V-Chip: Some TV programs and movies include signals that classify the content of the program (violence, dialogue, language, etc). The V-Chip feature in this television detect the signals and blocks the programs according to the ratings you select. Your rating setting is protected by a custom-user 4-digit password.
- Channel Block: With the Channels Block feature, you can block specific channels.
- Input Lock: You can sue the Input Lock feature to lock the video inputs and channels 3 and 4. You will not be able to view the input sources or channels until you unlock the inputs.
- Control Panel Lock: You can lock the control panel to prevent your settings from being changed accidentally.
Timers: The Toshiba L5200U LED-LCD TV offers 2 convenient timer functions.
- GameTimer: You can use the GameTimer function to set a time limit for playing a video game from to 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes. When the GameTimer expires, the TV enters Input Lock mode and locks out the input source for the video game device.
- Sleep Timer: You can set the sleep timer to turn off the TV after a set length of time (maximum of 12 hours in 10 minute increments).
ENERGY STAR Certified: The Toshiba L5200U exceeds ENERGY STAR requirements by incorporating advanced power saving features Auto Power Off, No Signal Power Down, and Last Mode Memory.
- Auto Power Off: The TV will automatically turn itself off (standby) after 4 hours, if you do not operate the TV either from the remote control or the TV control panel.
- No Signal Power Down: The TV will automatically turn itself off after approximately 15 minutes if it is turned to a vacant channel or a station that completes its broadcast for the day.
- Last Mode Memory: If the power is cut off while you are viewing the TV, the Last Mode Memory feature automatically turns on the TV when the power is resupplied.
Note: If it's possible, and you will be away from the TV for an extended period of time, you should unplug the power cord.
Wireless Remote: The supplied remote is pre-programmed to operate this TV and a number of functions on many other Toshiba components; such as a Blu-ray or DVD player.
HDMI CEC: You can control the basic functions of connected audio/video devices using the TV's remote control if you connect a HDMI CEC compatible audio receiver or playback device.
Pedestal Stand: The Toshiba LED-LCD TV comes supplied with a tabletop pedestal stand which must be attached using the supplied hardware. The TV weighs 43.0 lbs with stand.
Wall Mounting: The TV has four threaded inserts on the back for use with an optional wall-mount bracket. The spacing of the mounting holes is 400mm horizontal x 400mm vertical. The threaded inserts require 8mm machine screws (not supplied). The TV weighs 37.3 lbs without stand.
Note: When mounting the TV on the stand or a wall (with optional bracket) leave 4" of clearance on each side of the television and 4" above/below the television for adequate ventilation.
Attached AC Power Cord: The television is fitted with an attached 58" AC power cord. The power cord is terminated with a two-prong AC plug which sits 1.5" from the wall.
The Toshiba 46L5200U replaces these items
- LED backlight for high picture contrast
- ClearFrame 120Hz blur reduction for clear video motion
- USB port for photo/music playback
- 3 HDMI inputs
- USB port for photo/music playback
- ClearFrame 120Hz blur reduction for clear video motion