About the Nikon Forestry Pro II
A tough handheld laser rangefinder
A tough handheld laser rangefinder
The Nikon Forestry Pro II packs a lot of useful features into a rugged waterproof casing that's compact enough to fit in a jacket pocket. It can take straight-line distance measurements to objects up to 1,750 yards away, and it works quickly — Hyper Read technology delivers accurate results within 0.3 seconds.
Measurements are displayed on an internal LCD screen you can see while looking through the eyepiece, and on a large external LCD screen. The external screen offers three selectable levels of backlighting to enhance visibility in low light. The screen can also display saved results — the device's built-in log function stores up to 250 measurements for reference.
Hypsometer features for forestry pros
Can't see the forest for the trees? The Forestry Pro II has two convenient targeting modes for use in the woods. The First Target setting measures distance to the nearest visible subject, allowing you to single out the nearest tree against a forest backdrop, while the Distant Target setting can measure a subject partially obscured by the surrounding foliage.
The rangefinder's two-point measurement function can be used to measure the height of a tree when both the top and base are visible. If only part of the tree is visible, three-point measurement mode can calculate the horizontal distance to the tree, then calculate the tree's height using angles to the target's top and base.
- laser rangefinder with hypsometer features for forestry and surveying
- 6X magnification
- manual focus diopter ring around eyepiece
- waterproof for reliable outdoor use
- measurement range: 8-1,750 yards
- Hyper Read technology delivers accurate results within 0.3 seconds
- external LCD screen displays measurement results and menu settings
- three selectable levels of backlighting for visibility in low light
- internal eyepiece LCD helps choose target and displays results
- integral log function stores up to 250 measurements
- First Target setting measures distance to the nearest visible subject
- Distant Target setting measures a subject partially obscured by surroundings
- soft carrying case, neck strap, and CR2 battery included
- actual distance mode displays linear measurement between you and subject
- horizontal distance mode adjusts for incline, decline, or slope
- two-point mode uses height and angle to measure distance between two points
- three-point mode uses horizontal distance and two angles to measure height
Dimensions and warranty:
- 1-11/16"W x 2-15/16"H x 4-3/8"D
- weight: 6 oz. (without battery)
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 16703
What's in the box:
- Laser rangefinder (yellow/black)
- CR2 Lithium battery (3V)
- Neck strap
- Carrying case
- Instruction manual
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Nikon Forestry Pro II
Overview: The Nikon Forestry Pro II laser rangefinder is designed for use in forestry, utility, industrial, and commercial applications. It can provide accurate distance measurements of up to 1750 yards (or 1700 meters, or 5250 feet) instantly with the press of a button. The Forestry Pro II is compact and lightweight, with a durable, high visibility, rainproof finish to give it a non-slip grip. It has internal and external displays, plus a built-in memory that lets you store up to 250 measurement results. The Forestry Pro II is powered by a 3-volt Lithium battery (included), and comes with a lanyard and a handy storage case that can be worn on the belt, if desired.
Dual Displays: The rangefinder has both internal and external LCD displays. The internal display overlays the view through the lens, and has a main indicator and sub-indicator showing the distance or angle/height, depending upon the measurement display mode. In the center is the target mark crosshairs for aiming the rangefinder. Also shown are the measurement display mode, unit of measure (meter/yard/feet, degrees), battery level and log indicators, and the operating mode (First Target Priority or Distant Target Priority). The 2" (measured diagonally) external display shows a graphic of the distance and angle measurements, plus the numeric measurement, in addition to the display and operating modes. The external display is also used to view the log list of previous measurements. The external LCD features an enhanced pixel count for easier viewing, and 3-level adjustable backlighting (low, mid, high, and off).
Measurement Display Modes: The Forestry Pro II rangefinder offers six modes for displaying the measurement: Actual Distance Mode, Horizontal Distance Mode, Height Mode, Angle Mode, 2 Points Mode, and 3 Points Mode. The 2 Points mode measures the vertical separation (height) between two targets. Typically used in forestry work, you can measure the height of a tree when both the top and base are visible. If the top and/or the base of the tree is not visible, a 3 Point measurement calculates the horizontal distance to the tree, then measures the angles to the top and base to calculate the height of the tree.
Target Priority: The rangefinder's Target Priority system lets you differentiate between nearby and distant targets. When set to First Target Priority, the distance to the closest subject in the viewfinder is calculated. The Distant Target priority setting displays the distance of the farthest subject of overlapping objects.
One Button Operation: The Forestry Pro II laser rangefinder gives you fast and simple measurements by pressing the top-mounted power button. The unit emits invisible, eye-safe infrared energy pulses (EN/IEC Class 1M Laser) that reflect off of the selected target back to its optical receiver. The distance is instantly calculated and displayed on the internal and external LCD panels. Pressing the power button once starts a single measurement, while pressing and holding the button starts continuous measurements (for actual distance, horizontal distance, height, and angle modes only). The last measured result is the only log entry saved.
Operation Menu: The rangefinder's Mode button lets you change the settings as follows:
- Distance Display Unit: Yards, Feet, or Meters
- Target Priority Mode: First Target Priority (1st) or Distant Target Priority (Dst)
- External Display Backlight Level: Low, Med, High, or Off
- Log Setting: Log On or Log Off
- Log List: Lists up to 250 readings in pages of 5 at a time
- Log Delete: Lets you delete log entries
Nikon Optics: The Forestry Pro II uses Nikon glass and multicoating technology to give you clear views with high contrast.
Diopter Ring: The viewfinder has a diopter ring for adjusting the rangefinder to your eyesight. A diopter index indicates "+" and "-" positions.
Eye Relief: The Forestry Pro II's eyepiece provides a long 18.0mm eye relief for easy viewing, even with eyeglasses.
Distance Measurements: Distances from 8 to 1750 yards are measured in 0.1 yard increments, 7. 5 to 1600 meters in 0.1 meter increments, or 25 to 5250 feet in 0.1 foot increments. It can also measure angles ±89° in increments of 0.1°. You can switch the units of measurement from yards to meters by pressing the top-mounted Mode button.
Weatherproof Design: The Forestry Pro II has a weatherproof design (IPX4) so you can use it in wet conditions.
Power Requirements: The Forestry Pro II operates on a single 3-volt CR-2 Lithium battery (included). Battery status is displayed in the viewfinder during normal operations. A new CR-2 battery has enough energy to perform continuous measurements approximately 9,400 times.
- Model: Forestry Pro II
- Magnification: 6x
- Objective Diameter: 21mm
- Angular Field of View (real): 7.5°
- Measuring Range: 8-1750 yards / 7.5-1600 meters / 25-5250 feet
- Maximum Measurement Distance (Tree): 1200 yards / 1100 meters / 3600 feet
- Yards: ±0.3 yards (shorter than 1000 yards); ±1.0 yards (1000 yards and over)
- Feet: ±0.9 feet (shorter than 3280 feet); ±3.0 feet (3280 feet and over)
- Meters: ±0.3 meters (shorter than 1000 meters); ±1.0 meters (1000 meters and over)
- Exit Pupil: 3.5mm
- Eye Relief: 18.0mm
- Diopter Adjustment: ±2.5 m⁻¹
- Dimensions: Width 1.675" Height 2.877" Depth 4.31"
- Weight: 6.35 ounces