About the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8E ED VR
Memorable photos are well within the range of Nikon's newly redesigned 24-70mm f/2.8 VR lens. This midrange zoom covers everything from candid portraits to dramatic landscapes. A new take on a popular classic, this lens retains all the features that made its predecessor a go-to for serious shooters while adding some exciting new ones.
You'll have the same constant f/2.8 aperture for consistent exposure throughout the zoom range, Silent Wave motor for quick, quiet focusing, and manual focus ring for instant AF override. The addition of an aspherical extra-low dispersion element — a first for Nikkor lenses — gives this lens extra optical precision for balanced photos with sharply defined subjects and soft backgrounds. Built-in Vibration Reduction ensures blur-free photos and shake-free videos. An electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism adds auto-exposure control with high-speed continuous shooting. Whether you use it to document special events or those extraordinary moments in your everyday life, this is one lens you can count on to deliver detailed, accurate results.
- AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8E ED VR zoom lens
- compatible with Nikon FX and DX digital SLR cameras
- 35mm equivalent focal length: 36-105mm with APS-C (Nikon DX format) sensor cameras
- versatile zoom range for landscapes, portraits, and everyday shooting
- built-in Vibration Reduction enables sharper shots at slower shutter speeds (up to four shutter speeds slower)
- Silent Wave Motor for smooth, quiet, and precise autofocus
- internal focusing design maintains overall lens length during focusing for greater consistency and faster performance
- manual and autofocus modes
- Super Integrated Coating on lens elements provides excellent color richness and contrast
- protective fluorine coating allows easier cleaning of water, dirt, and smudges
- anti-reflective Nano Crystal Coat reduces ghosting and flare
- minimum focus distance: 16 in.
- constant f/2.8 maximum aperture
- minimum aperture: f/22
- lens construction: 20 elements in 16 groups
- 2 ED (extra-low dispersion) lens elements for high resolution and contrast
- 3 aspherical lens elements provide clear, accurate focus from one edge of the image to the other
- 1 HRI (high refractive index) element compensates for field curvature and spherical aberrations
- 1 ASED (aspherical ED) element minimizes distortion and chromatic aberrations
- 9-blade circular aperture for natural rendering of out-of-focus background elements
- Electromagnetic Diaphragm Mechanism for accurate aperture blade control when using auto exposure during continuous shooting
- attachment/filter size: 82mm
- lens is 3-1/2" in diameter, 6-3/8" long
- weight: 38.4 oz.
- warranty: 5 years with Nikon registration
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- accessory hood, front and rear lens caps, and lens pouch
- MFR # 20052
What's in the box:
- AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8E ED VR zoom lens
- LC-82 front lens cap
- LF-4 rear lens cap
- HB-74 Lens hood
- CL-M3 Soft lens case
- Adjustable strap
- User's Manual
- Warranty card
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8E ED VR reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8E ED VR
Overview: The Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8E ED VR lens is a wide-to-medium telephoto zoom lens. It comes with front and rear lens caps, the HB-74 lens hood and the CL-M3 semi-soft lens case.
FX-format Lens: This lens is optimized for use on Nikon FX-format (full frame) cameras, but it is also compatible with Nikon's DX-format cameras. When used on a DX-format camera, such as the D5300 or D7100, the lens has an equivalent focal length of 36-105mm.
Nikon Technologies: The Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8E ED VR lens is equipped with the following Nikon technologies:
- Aspherical Lens Elements: The lens contains Aspherical lens elements which contain non-spherical surfaces on either or both sides to eliminate certain types of lens aberration.
- Electromagnetic Diaphragm Mechanism (E): The lens has an electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism in the lens barrel to provide accurate aperture blade control during auto-exposure during continuous shooting. Conventional lenses (D/G types) have mechanical linkage levers to control the diaphragm blades.
- Extra-low Dispersion (ED) Glass: This lens contains Extra-low Dispersion optical glass developed by Nikon for optimum correction of chromatic aberrations.
- Vibration Reduction (VR): Vibration Reduction technology reduces blur caused by camera shake, which allows you to to use shutter speeds up to 4 stops slower than normal, using Active Mode. The VR Mode can be set to Normal or Active, and Vibration Reduction can be turned on or off via separate two-way switches on the lens barrel.
- High Refractive Index (HRI): With a refractive index of more than 2.0, one HRI lens can offer effects equivalent to those obtained with several normal glass elements. These elements can compensate for both field curvature and spherical aberrations. HRI lenses can give you great optical performance while maintaining a compact body.
- Nano Crystal Coat: The Nikon Nano Crystal Coat is an anti-reflective lens coating that eliminates internal reflections across a wide range of wavelengths. The coating eliminates the ghosting effects caused by red light, and reduces ghost and flare caused by light entering the lens diagonally.
- Internal Focusing (IF): The lens features a system in which only the internal lens group moves during focusing, eliminating changes in the physical length of the lens during auto focusing, and enabling closer focusing distances.
- Super Integrated Coating: The lens features a multi-layered coating of the optical elements.
- Silent Wave Motor (SWM): The exclusive Nikon Silent Wave Motor (SWM) uses ultrasonic vibrations, instead of a gear system, to enable fast, accurate, and quiet auto focus.
Focus Mode Switch: The Focus Mode switch on the barrel of the lens lets you switch between focus modes: M (manual) and M/A (autofocus with manual override). For Auto Focus mode, the camera must be in AF mode and the lens switch in the M/A position. In this mode, the lens will focus when the camera shutter is pressed halfway, however, you can override the focus by rotating the lens focus ring. You can easily switch to full manual focus by moving the Focus Mode switch to the M position (even if the camera is in AF mode). If the camera is in Manual Focus (MF) mode, autofocus will not operate.
Lens Hood: The included HB-74 lens hood blocks stray light from getting into the lens causing flare or ghosting. It also protects the front of the lens from direct contact, as well as keeping dirt, rain, and snow out. When mounted, the lens hood adds approximately 2-3/8" to the overall length of the lens. It can be inverted and reverse-mounted when not in use.
- Type of Lens: Type E AF-S lens with a built-in CPU
- Type of Mount: Nikon F-bayonet type
- Focal Length: 24mm-70mm
- Focal Length Scale: Graduated in millimeters (24mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 70mm)
- Filter Diameter: 82mm
- Lens Construction: 20 elements in 16 groups (including 2 ED elements, 1 aspherical ED element, 3 aspherical elements, 1 high-refraction element, and elements with Nano-Crystal or fluorine coatings)
- Closest Focus Distance: 1.25' (at 35-50mm focal length), 1.35' (at 24, 28, and 70mm focal lengths)
- Focusing Method: Nikon Internal Focusing (IF) system with AutoFocus controlled by a Silent Wave Motor, and a separate focus ring for manual focus
- Diaphragm: Rounded 9-blade
- Aperture Range: f/2.8 (minimum) to f/22mm (maximum)
- Angle of View: 84° - 34°20' (FX-format cameras), 61° - 22°50' (DX-format cameras)
- Dimensions: Diameter 3.464" Length=6.377" (6.989" w/lens caps)
- Weight: 2 pounds 6.4 ounces
Warranty Terms: Nikon offers a 1-year parts and labor warranty on this lens. An additional 4-year Extended Service Coverage is available at no charge if you register the product with Nikon within 10 days of purchase.